Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you're paired with people with full legendary decks at low MMR, they generally tend to be joke/showoff decks with no synergy. Or they could just be people who played arena a lot and had a shitton of dust. Yeah, there are some douchebags who tank their MMR just to farm wins off low ranked people but those are quite rare.

While I don't agree with the "even basic decks have an answer to legendaries, l2play" crowd because it really depends on the legendary and quite a few force you to make trades in your opponent's favor (I run Crazed Alchemist + have to spend SW:D or some creatures just for those stupid dragons as a priest), they aren't an automatic win condition.

no they are not 100% win but you need the right cards at the right time to do something about them.
speaking of right cards, one of those wins i played the starving buzzard at 10 mana, played another beast, drew a timber wolf, from that a scavaging hyena from that another hyena...etc

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aside from Southsea Captain and Blood Knight this is the greatest arena draft I will never see again.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just lost turn 3 to Warmurlock.

Tide Caller -> Coin -> Tide Caller
Play my two drop
Double +1 Attack Murloc -> Soulfire my 2
Play my Golem
charging Murloc win

just broke my heart(h)

EDIT:

ALSO HAD THE CONSECRATION IN MY HAND

EDIT 2:
might need a light's justice to take care of aggro. hmm

so many rushing and other nublets i'm sick of losing 2, had a game against a rogue before where Half the damage done on my hero was from Weapon and those minions which do damage to hero or bonus damage when placed, the sad thing is, one more turn i would have won because my minions were ignored.
spoils the game somewhat.

just got illidan stormrage from a pack though :D

Matthew

so many rushing and other nublets i'm sick of losing 2, had a game against a rogue before where Half the damage done on my hero was from Weapon and those minions which do damage to hero or bonus damage when placed, the sad thing is, one more turn i would have won because my minions were ignored.

That's the Miracle Rogue deck that isn't actually that good (if you search it's w/l record is below 50%) but, much like Secret Mage, if it gets the correct hand it's most likely unstoppable. Damn you Leeroy -> Shadowstep -> Leeroy -> Shadowstep -> Leeroy

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I wish I had the cards for Secret Mage. Honestly, Mage's midrange creatures are really damn good and I think it's the direction Mages should go to get back in the spotlight. Kirin Tor Mage lets you cast a three-mana spell alongside it for free, an incredible tempo swing to go along with its already efficient body. Ethereal Arcanist should regularly be a stronger, regenerating Yeti which last I heard is arguably the best four-drop in the game (Yeti, not EA). Along with Water Elemental and their lategame reach, it makes me wonder why everyone is so down on them. But I haven't played this game for too long, I'm just spitballing ideas. I suppose it's the potentially poor value of the actual secrets that diminish the value you gain out of the related creatures.

Instead I just have to play generic aggro decks because I don't have the Legends to make control work, not that I don't like my Paladin deck. I won't debase myself by playing mindless hand vomit, whether it's Murlocs or any sort of face rush. Maybe I should join the club and play Warlock zoo. ;[ Which itself is sorta "hand vomitty" I guess but only because Warlock's hero power is the single most reliable source of extra fuel (compared to Divine Favor, Cult Master, whatever) to encourage it. The deck itself is very board control-oriented, rather than throw-everything-at-face-and-hope-for-the-best trash, which I like and respect.

Matthew

I wish I had the cards for Secret Mage. Honestly, Mage's midrange creatures are really damn good and I think it's the direction Mages should go to get back in the spotlight. Kirin Tor Mage lets you cast a three-mana spell alongside it for free, an incredible tempo swing to go along with its already efficient body. Ethereal Arcanist should regularly be a stronger, regenerating Yeti which last I heard is arguably the best four-drop in the game (Yeti, not EA). Along with Water Elemental and their lategame reach, it makes me wonder why everyone is so down on them. But I haven't played this game for too long, I'm just spitballing ideas. I suppose it's the potentially poor value of the actual secrets that diminish the value you gain out of the related creatures.

Instead I just have to play generic aggro decks because I don't have the Legends to make control work, not that I don't like my Paladin deck. I won't debase myself by playing mindless hand vomit, whether it's Murlocs or any sort of face rush. Maybe I should join the club and play Warlock zoo. ;[ Which itself is sorta "hand vomitty" I guess but only because Warlock's hero power is the single most reliable source of extra fuel (compared to Divine Favor, Cult Master, whatever) to encourage it. The deck itself is very board control-oriented, rather than throw-everything-at-face-and-hope-for-the-best trash, which I like and respect.
Blizzard has basically stated that they want the game to be about board-control rather than hand potential (in the latest patch notes somewhere they imply it at least). I feel the same way that this card game has a lot of potential, and to the nay-sayers I remind you that they're only in their first (what's the word?) card set-list. There's plenty of opportunity to have a respectable game come out of it.

Also don't feel bad Mr.E I've gotten my Pali deck to 8 before and it only ran the Pali legendary so there's not no hope!

You should totally watch Trump's "Free Mage" run.

Matthew

You should totally watch Trump's "Free Mage" run.
While Trump's deck is good for a free deck I don't actually consider it viable. The only reason it's this far is because he's Trump. He's leagues above anyone in this thread and he makes some (really) risky moves that I don't think I would have even considered. Not saying that watching a better player won't make you a better player but I've seen a lot of Trump's deck on the ladder and it's a little painful to see it played by other people.

While Trump's deck is good for a free deck I don't actually consider it viable. The only reason it's this far is because he's Trump. He's leagues above anyone in this thread and he makes some (really) risky moves that I don't think I would have even considered. Not saying that watching a better player won't make you a better player but I've seen a lot of Trump's deck on the ladder and it's a little painful to see it played by other people.
I agree with this statement. You sometimes need balls of steel in order to win some games with that deck (I use it with Cairne over Faceless). I've played some mirrors against it and yeah I do cringe whenever someone plays a yeti while I have a berserker out. I'm working on a Redemption Paladin deck and I need Tirion :(. I actually managed to unpack a second Sword of Justice.

Matthew

I agree with this statement. You sometimes need balls of steel in order to win some games with that deck (I use it with Cairne over Faceless). I've played some mirrors against it and yeah I do cringe whenever someone plays a yeti while I have a berserker out. I'm working on a Redemption Paladin deck and I need Tirion :(. I actually managed to unpack a second Sword of Justice.
The more I play Paladin the less I like Tirion. Too many Shamans and (now) Mages in ladder with their fucking Hexes and Polymorphs to make me think it's a viable drop ever. I am probably just going to drop it for a Light's Justice actually just so I have a draw against those damn Murlocs

I'm getting close to being able to craft my first legendary (not counting the two I've pulled from packs, both of which are rather crappy), and I'm kinda wondering which one I ought to go for? Bloodmage Thalnos seems to be in practically every deck, as well as Cairne Bloodhoof. Ragnaros also seems very popular and Nat Pegle has been getting a lot of use from what I've seen. Should I grab one of these since they seem to fit basically any deck, or would it be better to pick a deck-specific legendary? Druid and Priest are my two favorite decks to run, but I haven't really looked at what the "best" decks of their's run since the top decks usually require a ton of expensive cards so I haven't been able to build them anyway. What's the best site to look up decks? Is

On a separate note, I pulled a golden Deathwing earlier; is it ever worth using? It seems like it could be really good if you're falling behind or have some deathrattle monsters on the field, but otherwise it seems like it'd be a dead card most of the time and particularly against certain classes (Asssasinate, Shadow Word - Death, Deadly Shot).

Matthew

If you run Druid than it's Legendary is the best one to grab. However objectively Rag or Carine is the best "fit all" card

I'm getting close to being able to craft my first legendary (not counting the two I've pulled from packs, both of which are rather crappy), and I'm kinda wondering which one I ought to go for? Bloodmage Thalnos seems to be in practically every deck, as well as Cairne Bloodhoof. Ragnaros also seems very popular and Nat Pegle has been getting a lot of use from what I've seen. Should I grab one of these since they seem to fit basically any deck, or would it be better to pick a deck-specific legendary? Druid and Priest are my two favorite decks to run, but I haven't really looked at what the "best" decks of their's run since the top decks usually require a ton of expensive cards so I haven't been able to build them anyway. What's the best site to look up decks? Is

On a separate note, I pulled a golden Deathwing earlier; is it ever worth using? It seems like it could be really good if you're falling behind or have some deathrattle monsters on the field, but otherwise it seems like it'd be a dead card most of the time and particularly against certain classes (Asssasinate, Shadow Word - Death, Deadly Shot).
Golden Deathwing is the best legendary ever. Ask Kaceytron.

Actually pagle and tinkmaster are thr best legends to craft first. They go in virtually every deck unlike expensive drops like cairne or rag, and tink in particular is a versatile answer to everything.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I quite literally just played the worst opponent....it was rogue vs rogue and he used his combo'd Eviserates on a Leper Gnome and a Defias Bandit. With dagger active. What. It took me awhile to bag the win because I had too many damage/removal cards in my hand and he wasn't sending much out, but he ended up literally suiciding on the last turn with Shivs to the face. Bizarre...

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

Face damage very annoying, pretty much forced to run watcher druid or giants lock if you don't want to play aggro yourself. Though with beta ending soon I suspect some balance changes coming soon to address this.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I love decks like those. I've been playing this Reynad deck for easy wins, you'd hate it.

When you coin War Axe turn one then play a 5-3 Bloodsail Raider turn 2. So good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)