Pokémon Mawile

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually, at +2 outspeeding rotom is splendid, since it's pretty common for rotom to try a revenge burn. but outside that i don't see any use (better chance of outrunning azumarill? generally i think you do that with any investment at all...)
I just ran the calcs on 252/252+ Rotom-W, a Jolly (216 EVs to outspeed, since everything else between base 86 and base 91 runs speed so you won't be beating them) +2 M-Mawile will OHKO with Play Rough as long as you have 92 or more Atk EVs. That doesn't seem right, but I'll take the calculator's word for it. You're literally going Jolly just to beat Rotom-W as they try to revenge though, everything else that could bother M-Mawile between 81 and 86 base speed will be running enough EVs to outspeed you regardless. It can work, but greatly reduces M-Mawile's potency as a wallbreaker so whatever your team needs more I suppose.

I find the idea of Stockpile on Mega Mawile very attractive, since it has Huge power, without the nature or any boosts is 492 atk, then by giving it defensive EV's will further maximize her durability in battle, which can become a real menace if it's not caught on time.

I though this set might be interesting to play with;

Set Name: TANKuMAW
Mawile Intimidate/ Mawilite
Careful 248 Hp/60 def/ 192 Spd/8 Spe

Crunch/ Foul Play/ Play Rough
Power-Up Punch
Stockpile
Rest

EV´s Generate 303 Hp, 492 Atk with Huge Power, after one Power-up Punch Rises around to 738 Atk which keeps her offensive presence, both defenses will be 301, which after one stockpile boost will go up to 451 and finally 138 speed to outrun pokémon within the same speed tier and only 4 EV's investment. Since it will have great defenses, rest is a must to remove unwanted status and also as it's recovering Method.

mawile can run knock off too you know, it can be a bisharp rip-off:
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

except play rough over iron head

Personally I wouldn't use two Dark-type moves on Mawile (Knock Off AND Sucker Punch), because a coverage move is much needed and generally superior, go with Brick Break or Fire Fang, you'll be surprised with the amount of players who switches Heatran into a Mawile only to get a Brick Break in his face :3
I've been having the worst luck ever on Showdown, Play Rough misses at the worst times, which usually cost the match. Iron Head has perfect accuracy but it's coverage isn't too impressive and is more of a anti-Fairy type move.

Personally I wouldn't use two Dark-type moves on Mawile (Knock Off AND Sucker Punch), because a coverage move is much needed and generally superior, go with Brick Break or Fire Fang, you'll be surprised with the amount of players who switches Heatran into a Mawile only to get a Brick Break in his face :3
I've been having the worst luck ever on Showdown, Play Rough misses at the worst times, which usually cost the match. Iron Head has perfect accuracy but it's coverage isn't too impressive and is more of a anti-Fairy type move.
mawile rip-sharp isn't really a reliable offensive being, it's more of a press pokemon. Knock Off provides one-time hit-hard, that switch or not switching, your opponent will be injured with no item. Or you can take a risk and go for a sword dance. At +2, sucker punch usually kills many kind of sweeper/cleaner that is faster than mawile, if it is slower, still played rough.

However, since mawile isn't a dark type, it doesn't gain stab like bisharp does. But mawile really need that priority because it is really slow, it could easily finished off by either EQ or fire moves from charizards, such a shame if mawile managed to reach +2.

+2 252+ Mega Mawile's Moves against 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory
Play Rough 47.6 - 56.2% Sucker Punch 56.5 - 66.7%
Knock Off 68.5 - 80.8% Iron Head 42.2 - 50%

brick break is a nice choice, I'm really surprised how versatile mawile is.

Last edited:
Trollwile
Nature: Careful
Ability: Intimidate -> Huge Power
Item: Mawilenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
- Swords Dance
- Stockpile
- Baton Pass
- Pain Split/Play Rough

I think this should be discussed to put up there as a baton pass strategy.

After a night of no sleep and being bored to death I decided to try a new team based on Mega Mawile.

Mawile @ Mawilenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
- Sword Dance
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

I lead with Deoxys-S Light Clay: Taunt the opponent, set up light screen, reflect and stealth rock. Switch to Scolipede, Sword Dance, protect, substitute, protect then baton pass to Mawile, mega evolve and sword dance again if I get the chance and start sweeping.

If the other team has someone with roar, dragon tail or anything that forces a switch up the whole plan falls apart. Or if I faced a lead with Prankster ability and got taunted or paralyzed. The reflect and screen are vital for Scolipede's own safety but it's not as bad as facing roar.

A skilled player can easily get around this team. And I feel like a cunt for using this strategy, I'm yet to face anyone who doesn't forfeit later on.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92299972
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92299309
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92301459

Last edited:
After a night of no sleep and being bored to death I decided to try a new team based on Mega Mawile.

Mawile @ Mawilenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
- Sword Dance
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

I lead with Deoxys-S Light Clay: Taunt the opponent, set up light screen, reflect and stealth rock. Switch to Scolipede, Sword Dance, protect, substitute, protect then baton pass to Mawile, mega evolve and sword dance again if I get the chance and start sweeping.

If the other team has someone with roar, dragon tail or anything that forces a switch up the whole plan falls apart. Or if I faced a lead with Prankster ability and got taunted or paralyzed. The reflect and screen are vital for Scolipede's own safety but it's not as bad as facing roar.

A skilled player can easily get around this team. And I feel like a cunt for using this strategy, I'm yet to face anyone who doesn't forfeit later on.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92299972
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92299309
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92301459
If u dont want buggy to be screwed by roar u can run an offensive move over protect to fake an offensive set and not let it be dead weight.
Rock slide
(yes, mono rock slide) for the most common switch in to scolipede: kamikaze flaming bird
Also nails Zapdos, gyarados-n, noivern, charizard formes, the rising Entei, dragonite, mandibuzz, volcarona, Dickpinch on the switch. It gives great neutral coverage on the tier, though unstab and abit weak.
Earthquake
While being a terrible move to use on mono-attacking set, this can thoroughly destroy heatran, dent excalibur, manectric, bisharp as well as a couple of other less common pokes like aggron (lol not really).

Beware, ferro and skarm can still screw u up, and choosing either move leaves u walled by rotomw, or flying pokemon if earthquake is chosen.

TL;DR: teammates of megawile must be able to pose an offensive threat themselves as megawile cannot do much on her own, despite receiving boosts and the like. She needs things that can force her out like rotom w, trevenant/gourgeist, heatran, skarm, rocky helm ferro, talonflame, banded infernape to be removed before she can begin her sweep. Therefore predictable partners who usually set up can choose to take the unpredictable route of actually luring out her nemeses and defeating them. Scolipede is a great partner for mawile as it lures out pokemon that threaten them both and nailing them hard with the appropriate coverage move, then baton pass the boosts to mawile or any other more suitable partner depending on situation.

Buggy @ leftovers/sash
Speed Boost
252atk/252spe/4spd jolly
Substitute
SD
BP
-Coverage move-

Last edited:
If u dont want buggy to be screwed by roar u can run an offensive move over protect to fake an offensive set and not let it be dead weight.
Rock slide
(yes, mono rock slide) for the most common switch in to scolipede: kamikaze flaming bird
Also nails Zapdos, gyarados-n, noivern, charizard formes, the rising Entei, dragonite, mandibuzz, volcarona, Dickpinch on the switch. It gives great neutral coverage on the tier, though unstab and abit weak.
Earthquake
While being a terrible move to use on mono-attacking set, this can thoroughly destroy heatran, dent excalibur, manectric, bisharp as well as a couple of other less common pokes like aggron (lol not really).

Beware, ferro and skarm can still screw u up, and choosing either move leaves u walled by rotomw, or flying pokemon if earthquake is chosen.

TL;DR: teammates of megawile must be able to pose an offensive threat themselves as megawile cannot do much on her own, despite receiving boosts and the like. She needs things that can force her out like rotom w, trevenant/gourgeist, heatran, skarm, rocky helm ferro, talonflame, banded infernape to be removed before she can begin her sweep. Therefore predictable partners who usually set up can choose to take the unpredictable route of actually luring out her nemeses and defeating them. Scolipede is a great partner for mawile as it lures out pokemon that threaten them both and nailing them hard with the appropriate coverage move, then baton pass the boosts to mawile or any other more suitable partner depending on situation.

Buggy @ leftovers/sash
Speed Boost
252atk/252spe/4spd jolly
Substitute
SD
BP
-Coverage move-
I really like this idea. Thanks a lot dude, I should try it out. But one thing, this EV spread on Scolipede would mean he'll get ohko pretty easily, or at least heavily damaged by any priority move.

My EV spread for Scolipede is 252 hp/250spe/8spd. Sometimes I can afford to sword dance and take a hit, then stall with protect and sub and sword dance again then baton pass 3x attack and 3x speed. But I think

On showdown I noticed that when I reach the rank of 1400+ I start facing many players who know how to get past this team and don't allow me to set up. After all it's a predictable strategy and experienced players know to get past it. Then I lose few times and go back to the 1300 rank.

I want to try this strategy in the battle spot and on the wifi battles but sadly I don't have Doexys-S (Who is in my opinion the MVP of my team)

Rock slide
Earthquake

I really like this idea. Thanks a lot dude, I should try it out. But one thing, this EV spread on Scolipede would mean he'll get ohko pretty easily, or at least heavily damaged by any priority move.

My EV spread for Scolipede is 252 hp/250spe/8spd. Sometimes I can afford to sword dance and take a hit, then stall with protect and sub and sword dance again then baton pass 3x attack and 3x speed. But I think

On showdown I noticed that when I reach the rank of 1400+ I start facing many players who know how to get past this team and don't allow me to set up. After all it's a predictable strategy and experienced players know to get past it. Then I lose few times and go back to the 1300 rank.

I want to try this strategy in the battle spot and on the wifi battles but sadly I don't have Doexys-S (Who is in my opinion the MVP of my team)
The spread is up to u, though 0 investment at +2 will steal away some of your potential ohkos

The spread is up to u, though 0 investment at +2 will steal away some of your potential ohkos
True,I'll lose some ohko. But then again, there is nothing I could do about Talonflame right? No matter how much speed I have the priority moves will fuck me up.

Can I take out a Talonflame with Rock Slide with 0 attack if the Taloonflame is at 50% health? I always try to set up a stealth rock so any Talonflame switching in will lose half its health.

True,I'll lose some ohko. But then again, there is nothing I could do about Talonflame right? No matter how much speed I have the priority moves will fuck me up.

Can I take out a Talonflame with Rock Slide with 0 attack if the Taloonflame is at 50% health? I always try to set up a stealth rock so any Talonflame switching in will lose half its health.
U can always nail talonflame and volcarona on the switch. iirc u fail to ohko talonflame with 0 atk at +0 at full hp. And quite a number of volcarona run defensive evs on their quiver dance sets, so maxing attack is always better.

U can always nail talonflame and volcarona on the switch. iirc u fail to ohko talonflame with 0 atk at +0 at full hp. And quite a number of volcarona run defensive evs on their quiver dance sets, so maxing attack is always better.
I should test it out and see what works better. I wouldn't worry much about either of Volcarona or Talonflame as I can switch into Cloyster and take them out with Rock Blast. But being able to take out Volcarona and Talonflame on you give me a massive advantage.

Mawile @ Mawilite
252 HP/ 252Atk/4 Spd
Nature: Adamant

-Play Rough
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Iron Head

This set is just so scary :c I saw it one time and tried it out, and it just catches people of guard. Play rough and Iron head is the stab moves, and sub focus punch is self explanatory.
Maybe even Brick Break instead of Focus Punch to avoid Roar Heatran. This set compliments well with Dragon Types as she resists their weakness quite, forcing a switch out and setting up a Sub to go for Sucker Punch as you force your opponent to attack or STAB Play Rough to lay damage. Heck even Pain Split works well if you're going to get phased out.

-Play Rough/Pain Split
-Sub
-Brick Break/Power-Up Punch (P-UP can be for late game set up combined with SubSplit Stall)
-Sucker Punch

Maybe even Brick Break instead of Focus Punch to avoid Roar Heatran. This set compliments well with Dragon Types as she resists their weakness quite, forcing a switch out and setting up a Sub to go for Sucker Punch as you force your opponent to attack or STAB Play Rough to lay damage. Heck even Pain Split works well if you're going to get phased out.

-Play Rough/Pain Split
-Sub
-Brick Break/Power-Up Punch (P-UP can be for late game set up combined with SubSplit Stall)
-Sucker Punch
Focus Punch is -3 priority whereas Roar is -6, so you don't need to worry about that with Heatran. Although FP will OHKO Heatran whereas BB won't unless you have a SD up.

My issue with Sub M-Mawile is that it lacks recovery and a fair amount of things can force it out, while without SD you can't dent the common switch-ins enough barring a good prediction which means you can get worn down before doing enough damage. M-Venusaur can take out M-Mawile without SD easily while recovering HP, and Rotom can switch in and volt switch out for free to break your sub and send in an offensive threat like Talonflame (although PR does what, ~40%?), both fairly common defensive/support Pokemon to switch into M-Mawile. Wish support is really helpful for sub sets though imo.

Focus Punch is -3 priority whereas Roar is -6, so you don't need to worry about that with Heatran. Although FP will OHKO Heatran whereas BB won't unless you have a SD up.

My issue with Sub M-Mawile is that it lacks recovery and a fair amount of things can force it out, while without SD you can't dent the common switch-ins enough barring a good prediction which means you can get worn down before doing enough damage. M-Venusaur can take out M-Mawile without SD easily while recovering HP, and Rotom can switch in and volt switch out for free to break your sub and send in an offensive threat like Talonflame (although PR does what, ~40%?), both fairly common defensive/support Pokemon to switch into M-Mawile. Wish support is really helpful for sub sets though imo.
But Focus Punch needs to charge first then hit after the opponent going for their move right? I don't know how exactly the mechanic work but whatever switches into a Sub wont appreciate taking a Huge Power Sucker Punch and then you can Pain Split right away or switch out to save it for later. Its basically like a hit and run strategy, that an entire team can be built around, were you're rendering your opponent down slowly. Also Sub saves Mawile from Wilo's which is crucial.

Honestly I wonder of a meta-game without priority seeping out of every team like it was the same basis of a team as weather use to be, I really do enjoy Mega-Wile but nothing seems more saddening that a Talonflame being swapped in at some point and never knowing whether to Sucker Punch on a Flare Blitz or Knock Off/Rock Slide on the Brave bird, predict either wrong and you deal no damage or just flat out lose your Mawile. I personally enjoy Knock Off on it due to many a forced switch and huge power backing up the damage, denting a wall and removing its item is particularly useful when it happens to be a steel type such as Heatran for the most part. I find myself using Sub more often than SD due to Guessing Game Sucker Punch and Priority Wars, easing up the need for prediction as pokemon that switch in have to break your sub and even if they do it with priority I don't feel pressured to use Sucker Punch or else the huge risk of losing Mawile.

-Play Rough/Pain Split
-Sub
-Sucker Punch
Focus punch totally annihilates heatran before it can use roar
U dont even need sd, just sub up with sp,fp and pr will wreck everything, including talonflame, a 2ko.

But Focus Punch needs to charge first then hit after the opponent going for their move right? I don't know how exactly the mechanic work but whatever switches into a Sub wont appreciate taking a Huge Power Sucker Punch and then you can Pain Split right away or switch out to save it for later. Its basically like a hit and run strategy, that an entire team can be built around, were you're rendering your opponent down slowly. Also Sub saves Mawile from Wilo's which is crucial.
Yes, and for easing prediction on the many switches you'll force it's good, but once again you lack the broader power (SD) and the coverage (FF) of alternate options that don't sacrifice 1/4th of your HP. This is mainly an issue for M-Venusaur, who flat-out loses when it switches in on SD. Fair point on pain split though, I've never used it myself due to Mawile's low speed. WoW protection is great but I'd rather just switch to my team's burn/status absorber.

Focus punch totally annihilates heatran before it can use roar
U dont even need sd, just sub up with sp,fp and pr will wreck everything, including talonflame, a 2ko.
FP wrecks Heatran but the switch-in is so obvious I'd rather forego the sub and FP it to death on the switch. Any Heatran that stays in on M-Mawile after switching into a substitute is uneducated at this point imo. Talonflame isn't so straightforward because it can mess with priority, like Xelus Shnider mentioned.

Yes, and for easing prediction on the many switches you'll force it's good, but once again you lack the broader power (SD) and the coverage (FF) of alternate options that don't sacrifice 1/4th of your HP. This is mainly an issue for M-Venusaur, who flat-out loses when it switches in on SD. Fair point on pain split though, I've never used it myself due to Mawile's low speed. WoW protection is great but I'd rather just switch to my team's burn/status absorber.

FP wrecks Heatran but the switch-in is so obvious I'd rather forego the sub and FP it to death on the switch. Any Heatran that stays in on M-Mawile after switching into a substitute is uneducated at this point imo. Talonflame isn't so straightforward because it can mess with priority, like Xelus Shnider mentioned.
Foregoing sub is not an option for megawile. Mine runs play rough, sucker punch, swords dance and sub. If you guess the wrong set you're dead. If mawile doesn't have a sub up and u try to recklessly predict, it is game over for your megawile.

I've been lucky enough to gain a Steel Friend Safari with Mawile, so have been busting my ass to get a couple reproducible 31/31/31/X/31/31 in an adamant nature.
However, the enormous spread of ideologies on this thread alone make me second guess constantly what I'm burn calories on.
The "How to Not Get Stalled" set on the first page felt almost perfect. However, with Huge Power, adamant Nature, 31 attack IVs and 252 EVs invested in attack, Swords Dance feels like overkill. Play Rough is THE STAB and Sucker Punch is mandated to use Taunt. With the outstanding amount of stall steams on wifi, I feel this is the build for me. Leaving one slot to deal with. Considering Mawile's base speed and lack of recovery (outside of B/W2 Move Tutoring for Pain Split), Substitute is indeed mandatory as well. I feel like Mawile would have to go first, or after a baton pass. Coming in even a few turns from a stall team would be suicide.

I guess where my original thought was whether going with a Jolly nature and investing in Speed was even worth bothering with. 31 speed IVs would get you ahead of the slowest Pokemon, right?

I have yet to test this out but I'd like to hear what you guys think!

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability : Intimidate
Nature : Adamant (+Atk,-SpA)
EV Spread : 130 HP / 252 Atk / 126 Spe
Moveset : Play Rough | Sucker Punch | Substitute | Pain Split / Swords Dance
After some extensive use with Mega Mawile I've noted that Mega Mawile has the typing and bulk to switch-in on resisted hits but hates losing unnecessary health in the process sometimes. Because of this Mega Mawile hates being constantly forced out by faster threats and eating residual damage.
The EV Spread is standard alongside the Ability and Nature. Play Rough and Sucker Punch provide near perfect coverage.
The real gold comes in Substitute in tandem with Pain Split or Swords Dance. Pain Split helps Mega Mawile stay healthy and also weaken checks/counters. Swords Dance is great as there are many times Mega Mawile appreciates the opportunities to set up a Swords Dance and smash things like Hippowdon.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 172 SDef / 84 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stockpile
- Foul Play
- Pain Split
- Substitute

Subsplit to the Extreme!
Why does this set work:
+Huge Power and Foul Play are the crux of this set:Not only are we using the enemies attacking power, we are actually DOUBLING it
+Stockpile gives much needed defensive boosts and allows, thanks to 50/125/95 defenses, to actually survive things
+It gets SubSplit, a popular way to defeat the blobs* and regaining health. Furthermore having only base 50 HP allows massive hitpoints regenaration.
+It is completly unexpected

-This is a incredible defensive set, meaning that specific enemy pokemon could setup on you and defeat you (Special Lucario anybody?)
- *The blobs can't be defeated this way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)