Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Perish Song
-Toxic

Role: Support (rain support)

What it Does: Politoed's role this gen is largely the same as it was in Gen V, but with one major change: rain is no longer permanent. Now, to make rain feasible, Politoed has to carry Damp Rock to keep the rain going as long as possible. His moveset is very utility based. Scald is for spreading burns, Toxic is obviously for putting a timer on an opponent's wall or sweeper, Ice Beam is for coverage and the slim chance of freeze, and Perish Song is great for taking out a dangerous sweeper or Choice-locked opponent that doesn't do much to your trapper. Last gen, Poli had a couple more roles as a Specs sweeper or just a regular special sweeper, but now since perma rain isn't a thing anymore, his only real option is this support set. But as limited as Poli may seem, he is very good at his job. With DrizzleSwim being made legal again, he may arguably be better than last gen at supporting a Rain team.

Good Teammates: Good teammates for Politoed would be mons who can abuse Swift Swim, such as Kabutops and Kingdra. Both of these pokemon are deadly in rain, outspeeding the entire unboosted tier by reaching the blazing speeds of 568 and 590, respectively. Other good teammates include those who can offer more Rain Dance support. Politoed won't last forever in a battle, so it's important to have at least one other rain setter to get as many turns of rain as possible. And even more teammates could include Dugtrio and Gothitelle. After Politoed uses Perish Song, you will want to switch to whichever one you prefer to have on your team and then deal with the trapped pokemon. You could also handicap the trapped pokemon further by using the gimmicky Entrainment Durant, but I wouldn't advise this as it really just wastes a teamslot.

What Counters It: A good counter to Politoed is Tyranitar or Hippowdon as they are slower weather inducers, so a sandstorm would replace the rain, rendering Politoed useless and forcing a switch. AV Tyranitar is an especially good counter, as it replaces the rain, and has ridiculously high Special Defense, which eliminates all offensive presence that Poli has. Another good counter is Mega Venusaur, as it can survive a Scald or an Ice Beam, is immune to Toxic, and then KO with Giga Drain.

Any Additional Info: Politoed will have to switch in several times throughout a battle, so it's important to keep him as healthy as possible and clear of status, so keep that in mind when building your team.

What to use:

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Naive Nature
-Earth Power
-Focus Blast
-Psychic/ Sludge Wave
-Hidden Power [Ice]/ U-turn/ Sludge Wave

Role: Wallbreaker

What It Does: Landorus does pretty much of what you would expect of a pokemon with 115 SpA, sheer force boosted moves, and a spamable stab. That is, tear huge holes in teams that lack dedicated special walls, or Landorus’ few counters such as Rotom-W. Sheer force in conjunction with life orb, grants Landorus a x1.69 boost on all attacks other than HP Ice and U-turn, with no negative drawback. Earth Power is the move that Landorus will be spamming most of the time, and is capable 2HKO'ing almost all the tier that doesn't resist it. It packs enough power to OHKO Aegislash, with the only other pokemon that can reliably do so being life orb Excadrill. Focus Blast does massive damage against Skarmory and Ferrothorn, and OHKO's all Tyranitar sets. Focus Blast is also Landorus' best answer to Rotom-W, a common switch in. Psychic enables it to 2HKO Mega-Venesaur, which would otherwise wall Landorus and Assualt Vest Conkeldurr, which can KO back with ice punch. Sludge Wave has about a 70% chance of OHKO'ing Azuramill, a pokemon that can otherwise force Landorus out with aqua jet, on the switch. It also has about a 60% to 2HKO Sylveon. HP Ice is generally the prefered move for the last moveslot, as it allows Landorus to KO Landorus-T, Gliscor, Garchomp, Dragonite (with multiscale broken), and ironically, opposing Landorus-I that run sludge wave or U-turn over HP Ice. U-turn provides momentum against the multitude of switches that Landorus forces, but wears down Landorus with life orb recoil.

Good Teammates:
Rotom-W and Mega-Venesaur serve as a great teammates, as they can easily switch into Thundurus, Banded Azuramill (Rotom onto Aqua Jet), and most other checks that attempt to use water or ice moves to take it down. Rotom-W also can provide safe switch ins with a slow volt switch. Guts Assualt Vest Conkeldurr is a great teammate for absorbing status from both Rotom-W and Chansey/Blissey, both pokes that hard counter Landorus.

Otherwise, late game sweepers such as Talonflame, greatly appreciate the large holes Landorus is able to open up in teams, and makes their job significantly easier. Band Terrakion hits a similar range of types as Landorus, but hits on the physical side, allowing the two to form a mighty wall breaking core.

What Counters It:
As stated earlier, dedicated special walls such as Chansey and Blissey fear nothing from Landorus and can toxic back. Specially defensive Rotom-W can switch in to Landorus relatively easily and force it out with hydro pump. Venesaur can wall Landorus lacking psychic and Sylveon can do the same to those without sludge wave. Azuramill can also switch in to Landorus lacking sludge wave and OHKO back with aqua jet.

While there are very few counters to Landorus, there are a multitude of checks in OU. 101 Spe, while still in an increadibly trolly speed tier, is no longer quite what is was last generation. Between faster checks like Keldeo, Thundurus, and Greninja, and pokemon with strong priority such as Azumarill, Talonflame (deals 80-95% with banded brave bird), and Bisharp (deals 62-74% LO sucker punch), Landorus often finds itself revenge killed.

Any Additional Info: Gravity can also be used in the last move slot to great affect. The reason its not discussed in this analysis is because it plays entirely differently despite having a similar moveset and spread. With gravity, Landorus attempts to be a sweeper, needs its own counters to be removed, and is best used with sticky web.

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What to use ofc

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Role: Hazard Setter

What It Does: With excellent stats all around, a good STAB combo, and the combination of Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet, Garchomp is an excellent Stealth Rock setter in the current metagame, being able to reliably set up the hazard, check Pokemon such as Aegislash, Heatran, Tyranitar and more, and provide a solid offensive presence all in one teamslot. Stealth Rock is the reason you're using this particular Garchomp set in the first place, as the residual damage provided by the move is invaluable, not to mention the fact that the move keeps exceptionally dangerous Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Mega Charizard Y in check due to their crippling 4x weakness to it. Outside of setting up Stealth Rock, Garchomp has a solid offensive presence thanks to its great base 130 Attack stat, solid base 102 Speed, and nerfed but still great STAB combination in Dragon/Ground. Outrage is simply a nuke that lets Garchomp muscle through most of the opposition, while Earthquake provides you with a solid STAB move that hits many of the Pokemon that resist Outrage, such as Aegislash and Heatran hard, and most importantly, doesn't lock you in/lets you switch out. Alternatively, Dragon Claw can be used over Outrage to avoid the locking in effect, but the sheer power of a STAB Outrage when needed is sorely missed. Fire Blast is a great move to have in the last slot, as it hits Skarmory for a 2HKO after Stealth Rock, a Pokemon that gives Garchomp a huge amount of trouble otherwise, as well as the occasional Ferrothorn. Lastly, Rocky Helmet has a lot of utility in conjunction with Rough Skin, and lets Garchomp rack up residual damage on pretty much any Pokemon that relies on contact moves, most notably Talonflame, who takes an impressive amount of recoil simply by hitting Garchomp with Brave Bird, practically killing itself.

Good Teammates: Because this Garchomp set has trouble with opposing bulky Ground-types such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Pokemon that are able to switch in on and deal with these threats are excellent teammates. Rotom-W works pretty well as a teammate here, as it's completely immune to any Earthquakes thrown at it and can easily cripple any of those Pokemon with either a powerful STAB Hydro Pump or a burn from Will-O-Wisp. Simiarly, other Water-types such as Greninja, Keldeo, and Azumarill can do the same, easily forcing these Pokemon out of the battlefied at worst, although quite a few of them have to be wary about taking multiple Earthquakes. Electric-type Pokemon that can take care of Togekiss, such as Rotom-W, Zapdos, and Thundurus-I, also make good teammates. They take a pittance from Air Slash, are immune to Thunder Wave and easily force her out with strong Thunderbolts and Volt Switches in return, possibly getting the switch advantage in the case of the latter. Lastly, as this Garchomp set uses Fire Blast to lure in Skarmory to an extent, Pokemon that enjoy the Steel Bird being weakened, such as Mega Pinsir pair well with this Garchomp, being able to sweep much more effectively with one of their most annoying checks either being weakened or completely out of the way.

What Counters it: As mentioned before bulky Ground-type Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Hippowdon are annoyances for Garchomp, all 3 of them can easily switch into this Garchomp set and can either wear down Garchomp with Toxic, use it as set up bait for Stealth Rock, or just slowly take it out with repeated Earthquakes. Hippowdon is an especially big annoyance, as it can keep itself healthy through the entire match with Slack Off. Outside of these Pokemon, Togekiss is also a massive annoyance, completely walling Garchomp lacking Stone Edge in every sense of the word and taking it out with repeated Air Slashes or Dazzling Gleams, possibly even removing Garchomp's Stealth Rock with Defog. In general, Speaking of Defog, Mandibuzz isn't completely immune to practically anything Garchomp can throw at it, but it has more than enough bulk to take repeated Outrages, roost off the damage, and eventually remove Garchomp's Stealth Rock with Defog. Azumarill takes a considerable amount from Earthquake, but can easily switch into a predicted Stealth Rock, Dragon-type move, or Fire Blast and can easily OHKO Garchomp with a Play Rough in return. Although Fire Blast does quite a bit to it, Skarmory is still a solid check to Garchomp due to its resistance to Outrage, immunity to Earthquake, and ability to Defog away Garchomp's Stealth Rock. If Garchomp is running the alternative set mentioned below, then Garchomp has quite a bit of trouble touching the bird at all.

Any Additional Info: Although Fire Blast is nice for its specific targets, Stealth Rock+Swords Dance is also a solid set to run, and gives Garchomp some more wallbreaking/sweeping potential if it's still alive later on in the game. Also, Rocky Helmet isn't even close to the only item Stealth Rock Garchomp can run, Lum Berry, Focus Sash, and Yache Berry are also great options on rockschomp for different reasons, pick the one that you think fits your team best.

Sorry if this was posted before/badly written :x.

Last edited:

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Use

Mega-Banette
(Ev Spreads vary, but the one to differentiate itself the most from Sableye)
252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
Adamant
-Phantom Force
-Sucker Punch/Protect
-Will-o-Wisp/Taunt
-Destiny Bond

Role: Support

What it does: Cripples and hits hard, and sports the ability to take down any pokemon that lacks a priority that can OHKO it. Now, besides this, you're probably thinking to yourself, "Why not use Sableye apart from Priority Destiny Bond?". The answer is very simple. Sableye has an offensive prescence of nil, and is forced out by virtually and Special Attacker that can hit it extremely hard. MBanette works differently, in that you can't be sure about what it will do. 165 Base attack is absurd on something that is supposed to be supporting, and with maximum investment, you can really make it work. As for the moveset, it has many options, but this is arguably the most useful set. Priority Destiny Bond is fucking unreal, as it means that you can take out one pokemon at will, regardless of Speed, barring Priority. Prankster Will-o-Wisping is always a good thing, crippling physically offensive mons, which is very nice. Now, here's what can make this set better than Sableye. Phantom Force off of a 165 Base attack with Stab hurts. But in conjunction with Destiny Bond, you have the ability to stall opponents out for two-turn, deal a crapton of damage, and just when the opponent thinks they can finally KO..... Bam! Sucker Punch takes of that last sliver of health that the opponent. One problem MBanette has is a hard time getting in to Mega Evolve, so Protect is very useful in this case. Taunt can be used over Will-o-Wisp to stop stall oriented mons, which is very beneficial for teams that struggle with them.

Good Teammates: As MBanette is a support oriented pokemon, it benefits from what you set out to accomplish with it.
If it is taking out that one mon that stops a sweep from one of yours, or crippling a Stall/Physical attacker to allow you an easy setup for one of your sweepers, MBanette's teammates are highly reliant on what it is trying to accomplish as a support Pokemon. If you are using a primarily offensive team, Bisharp makes an excellent partner, as it resists Dark and Ghost, which break MBanette apart very easily, while MBanette provides Will-o-Wisp support to make switching in easier in general for the team. When using a Defensive Team, Mandibuzz works very nicely, Stopping thing's like Aegislash and Bisharp, who put MBanette in a rather bad position is incredible.. Using a solid Offensive/Defensive core is very beneficial, and Volt-Turn makes this thing love getting in for free.

What counters it: If you aren't troubled by a burn, and carry an SE move, you can probably one shot it. Good examples are Talonflame, Latios, etc... However, keep in mind Destiny Bond, and that is what makes this tricky. Stalling it out with Toxic/Burn is an option, so Blissey, Gliscor work, just beware Taunt/Magic Coat. There isn't much to say about this, as barring Destiny Bond and burns, killing it isn't too hard. Just remember that losing a mon to KO this leaves you open to a sweep by another, etc...

Finally done, work was hell.....

Last edited:
Pretty sure nobody's done this yet...
I stole the EVs from Scizor's BW analysis, I'm assuming they're still good.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Superpower

Role: Pivot

What It Does: Scizor was the number one usage pokemon throughout BW, and with good reason. Scizor is an amazing offensive pivot with its great Steel / Bug typing and hard hitting STAB U-Turn. Thanks to these attributes, Scizor can safely switch into many threats and grab momentum, doing impressive damage at the same time. Bullet Punch is Scizor's next most important attack; it reaches 90 BP factoring in Technician and STAB, and with Choice Band added, it is one of the most powerful and reliable priority attacks available in OU. Thanks to Bullet Punch, Scizor can easily revenge kill many weakened offensive pokemon. Pursuit is less universally useful than the other two moves, but with Scizor's Steel typing, it can use Pursuit to trap and kill most Lati@s, Celebi, and many other Psychic types while taking minimal damage thanks to its great resistances. Finally, Superpower is mainly to hit Heatran switch-ins, although with its high base power and good neutral coverage it can be used to hit some things expecting to take a resisted U-Turn or Bullet Punch.

Good Teammates: The classic Scizor teammate is Rotom-W. Scizor and Rotom-W form a great volt-turn core, with each 4x resisting the other's sole weakness. Scizor also pairs well with many other volt-turn users, such as Landorus-T and Talonflame. As Scizor will be pivoting in and out a lot and has no method of recovery, Rapid Spin or Defog support is very helpful. Stealth Rocks on the opponents side of the field are also appreciated to punish the switches Scizor tends to cause. Scizor itself really requires very little support other than hazard control, as it is a very good team player and can function well in almost every situation.

What Counters It: Most physical walls can switch into Scizor without any fear. Hippowdon, Skarmory and Gliscor in particular don't care about any of its attacks and can hit it back while recovering off any damage they take (Rotom-W can take care of all three of these for Scizor, by the way). Keldeo takes practically nothing from any move but Superpower, and can threaten to KO Scizor back with a powerful Hydro Pump. Aegislash also can switch in on any move and threaten Scizor out. However, Scizor comes out ahead of all of these pokemon if it uses U-Turn, in which case it can simply switch to the appropriate counter or check.

Any Additional Info: Scizor's movepool contains several other decent options. Quick Attack with Technician reaches an acceptable enough base power to be used to KO weakened sweepers that resist Bullet Punch. Night Slash can dent Aegislash and other ghosts on the switch. Finally, Defog could be used even with CB if your team is desperate for hazard support and can handle the massive momentum loss a choiced status move will cause.
I think aerial ace deserves a mention, 90 BP with technician and it means it can 2HKO MegaSaur, although most venusaur carry HP fire.

I think aerial ace deserves a mention, 90 BP with technician and it means it can 2HKO MegaSaur, although most venusaur carry HP fire.
That sounds like a decent option, thanks! I'm also adding a few counters because really, there's a lot and I forgot a few the first time around.

I don't want to rush whoever's updating the categories in the original post, but I'd be a lot more keen to write more analysis if I saw them being implemented at least somewhat.
Agreed, I think this project is an excellent effort and really helps when teambuilding. I like having someone show me all my options for the various categories, and ESPECIALLY the "good teammates" section. I'm also just a sucker for classifying things into categories :P

I decided that the old Mega Pinsir write up was not of an acceptable quality. Therefore, ShootinStarmies is good to go.
I had a feeling that mine was too long >_>.
Anyway, they're the same information so it's no big deal to me. I did forget to mention why I use Hyper Cutter though, which is what ShootinStarmie nailed.

TRC.

If you don't plan on updating this thread, could I create a similar thread and use the already created analysis, or just help to update this thread? I think this is a great idea and I don't want it to completely disappear.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry to give you more work, TRC., but this thing really needs to be posted considering it's S-Rank in the Viability Rankings :o

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie / Mold Breaker / Hyper Cutter --> Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Role: Physical Sweeper | Wallbreaker | Late-Game Cleaner

What It Does: Mega Pinsir has a huge base 155 Attack stat, and when combined with a unique ability in Aerilate, it becomes a powerful wallbreaker and late-game cleaner. Access to Swords Dance further expands Mega Pinsir's role as a physical sweeper. Aerilate gives Mega Pinsir a strong, 132.6 Base Power Flying-type STAB in Return, which actually OHKOes defensive behemoths like Landorus-T and Chansey after a Swords Dance boost and Stealth Rock damage. Aerilate also gives Mega Pinsir a comparatively strong STAB priority move in Quick Attack. In fact, a +2 Quick Attack has a 25% chance to OHKO Latios, a very common Pokemon that outspeeds and revenge kills Pinsir, after Stealth Rock damage. Quick Attack can also revenge kill the likes of Keldeo and Quiver Dance Volcarona with ease, making Mega Pinsir a decent revenge killer as well. Earthquake lets Pinsir get past most Flying resists, specifically Aegislash and Heatran, OHKOing them both after a Swords Dance boost. It's also worth noting that Mega Pinsir hits a decent Speed tier, making it a little less reliant on Quick Attack and all the more scary with a powerful Return.

Good Teammates: Talonflame goes very well alongside Mega Pinsir to create the infamous two-bird cores. This core is renowned for breaking past one another's counters, making it easy for the other half of the core to sweep. For example, Mega Pinsir can set up a Swords Dance as it lures in Rotom-W, and then proceeds to smack it down with a hard-hitting Return, and granted that Stealth Rock is on the field, it puts Rotom-W in KO range for SD Talonflame. Due to Mega Pinsir's 4x Stealth Rock weakness, it relies a bit on Rapid Spin/Defog support. Excadrill is an excellent spinner that functions very well with Mega Pinsir due to it being able to dispose of Rotom-W with a Mold Breaker Earthquake. Latios is a good Defogger, since it also makes for a good switch-in to Rotom-W and Zapdos, while also supporting Mega Pinsir with Healing Wish. Kyurem-B is also an excellent partner, since it can wallbreak past Rotom-W, Skarmory, and Zapdos, and also lures in the likes of Conkeldurr for Mega Pinsir to switch in on. Conkeldurr itself is a nice partner for Mega Pinsir, since it loves switching in on Rotom-W and Air Balloon Heatran, and is even benefited from a burn.

What Counters It: Physically defensive Rotom-W, Zapdos, and Skarmory make for excellent counters to Mega Pinsir. They resist its Flying STAB, are immune to Earthquake, and can strike back with their Electric and/or Flying STAB. Rotom-W can even burn it and render it crippled for the rest of the match. Thundurus also resists Mega Pinsir's main STAB and is immune to Earthquake, but it cannot switch into Pinsir's Return, since Return + Quick Attack will actually KO Thundurus. However, if you manage to get it in on an Earthquake, then it can OHKO with Thunderbolt with ease, although a boosted Quick attack actually does almost over half to it. Air Balloon Heatran is a nice check, since it can avoid Earthquake granted its Air Balloon is in-tact, and can then strike Pinsir down with a STAB Fire-type attack. Talonflame and Mamoswine are also good checks, since the latter has faster, super effective priority in the form of Gale Wings Brave Bird, and the latter has enough bulk to sponge a +2 Quick Attack and fire back with a strong Ice Shard. Aside from that, anything that can take a Quick Attack and is faster than Mega Pinsir does well against it; examples of these are Terrakion and Deoxys-S.

Any Additional Info: It is worth noting that the ability Mega Pinsir chooses to have as a regular Pinsir can actually effect its performance just a tad bit. Moxie is what most players prefer, as Pinsir can revenge kill a weakened Pokemon with Quick Attack and get an Attack boost from it. Mold Breaker, on the other hand, lets Pinsir lure in Rotom-W and smack it hard with an Earthquake. Lastly, Hyper Cutter lets Pinsir avoid the Intimidate drop from the likes of Mawile or Landorus-T as it sets up Swords Dance, or just outright attacks.

Feel free to adjust this as you see fit, TRC., since I'm sure you're more knowledgeable about Mega Pinsir than I am :P

Last edited:
Reactions: trc
What to use:

Tornadus-T @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

What It Does: Tornadus-T is one of the best pivots in the metagame through its access to the combination of Regenerator and U-Turn. A high speed stat helps it to quickly get out with U-Turn or to dismantle a threat with Knock Off. Base 121 speed also allows the bird to revenge kill sweepers such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Latios, Manaphy, Landorus-T and many others. Tornadus-T can survive a long time throughout a match because a simple switch recovers a third of its HP. Because of this, it can switch in on for example leech seeds from Mega Venusaur and threaten it with a Hurricane. Speaking of Hurricane, the flying type has always been a great attacking type, and Hurricane, while not accurate outside of rain, hurts a large part of the metagame due to its high BP, STAB, Ev investment and the Life Orb. Overall, Tornadus-T provides a great pivot and a lot of utility to use for your team.

Good Teammates: Politoed is a fantastic partner because it provides 100% accurate Hurricanes, allowing Tornadus-T to spam the high-powered STAB move without worries. Tornadus likes partners that can take advantage of the free turn that is given to them, or keep the momentum on your side, such as other Voltturners. Its Therian brother Landorus-T can take on Electric type moves, set up SR and/or U-turn out.

What Counters It:
Mega Charizard Y can take on the physical moves Tornadus-T has and its drought makes Hurricane inaccurate. In a similar vein, Mega Ampharos and Mega Manectric can also take on any move Tornadus throws at it. Both pokemon also can't get their items knocked off. Besides those three, there are little counters to Tornadus-T because no pokemon can stop it from U-turning away and healing, or knocking off their valuable item (besides megas ofc). It is worth noting that Greninja outspeeds Tornadus-T by one point and threatens it out with Ice Beam. Jolteon, Mega Manectric and certain scarfed pokemon can also outspeed and take out Tornadus-T. The same goes for some high-powered priority moves.

Any Additional Info:
It is generally useful to send out Tornadus-T early-game, scouting with U-turn and removing items with Knock Off. Late-game, it can be used to check a dangerous sweeper on the opponent's side, or to use it as your win condition (only reliable on a rain team!) but when you have other pokemon that can do these jobs, there is no real need to preserve Tornadus-T until the end-game.
Other options to use for this Tornadus-T are Air Slash (over Hurricane), Heat Wave, Focus Blast (both over Superpower), and Rain Dance or Taunt (over Knock Off). Use Air Slash and Heat Wave only when you're using Tornadus-T outside of rain. Air Slash is weak, but a tad more reliable than Hurricane, while Heat Wave roasts Ferrothorn. Focus Blast generally hits harder than Superpower, but against the targets you're mainly using it for (Blissey, Chansey and Tyranitar), Superpower hits harder anyway, without having a chance to miss. Taunt fucks with Hazard leads and has general utility against stall, while Rain Dance can be used for self-support or on a dedicated Rain team.

Last edited:
Sorry to give you more work, TRC., but this thing really needs to be posted considering it's S-Rank in the Viability Rankings :o

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie / Mold Breaker / Hyper Cutter --> Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Role: Physical Sweeper | Wallbreaker | Late-Game Cleaner

What It Does: Mega Pinsir has a huge base 155 Attack stat, and when combined with a unique ability in Aerilate, it becomes a powerful wallbreaker and late-game cleaner. Access to Swords Dance further expands Mega Pinsir's role as a physical sweeper. Aerilate gives Mega Pinsir a strong, 132.6 Base Power Flying-type STAB in Return, which actually OHKOes defensive behemoths like Landorus-T and Chansey after a Swords Dance boost and Stealth Rock damage. Aerilate also gives Mega Pinsir a comparatively strong STAB priority move in Quick Attack. In fact, a +2 Quick Attack has a 25% chance to OHKO Latios, a very common Pokemon that outspeeds and revenge kills Pinsir, after Stealth Rock damage. Quick Attack can also revenge kill the likes of Keldeo and Quiver Dance Volcarona with ease, making Mega Pinsir a decent revenge killer as well. Earthquake lets Pinsir get past most Flying resists, specifically Aegislash and Heatran, OHKOing them both after a Swords Dance boost. It's also worth noting that Mega Pinsir hits a decent Speed tier, making it a little less reliant on Quick Attack and all the more scary with a powerful Return.

Good Teammates: Talonflame goes very well alongside Mega Pinsir to create the infamous two-bird cores. This core is renowned for breaking past one another's counters, making it easy for the other half of the core to sweep. For example, Mega Pinsir can set up a Swords Dance as it lures in Rotom-W, and then proceeds to smack it down with a hard-hitting Return, and granted that Stealth Rock is on the field, it puts Rotom-W in KO range for SD Talonflame. Due to Mega Pinsir's 4x Stealth Rock weakness, it relies a bit on Rapid Spin/Defog support. Excadrill is an excellent spinner that functions very well with Mega Pinsir due to it being able to dispose of Rotom-W with a Mold Breaker Earthquake. Latios is a good Defogger, since it also makes for a good switch-in to Rotom-W and Zapdos, while also supporting Mega Pinsir with Healing Wish. Kyurem-B is also an excellent partner, since it can wallbreak past Rotom-W, Skarmory, and Zapdos, and also lures in the likes of Conkeldurr for Mega Pinsir to switch in on. Conkeldurr itself is a nice partner for Mega Pinsir, since it loves switching in on Rotom-W and Air Balloon Heatran, and is even benefited from a burn.

What Counters It: Physically defensive Rotom-W, Zapdos, and Skarmory make for excellent counters to Mega Pinsir. They resist its Flying STAB, are immune to Earthquake, and can strike back with their Electric and/or Flying STAB. Rotom-W can even burn it and render it crippled for the rest of the match. Thundurus also resists Mega Pinsir's main STAB and is immune to Earthquake, but it cannot switch into Pinsir's Return, since Return + Quick Attack will actually KO Thundurus. However, if you manage to get it in on an Earthquake, then it can OHKO with Thunderbolt with ease, although a boosted Quick attack actually does almost over half to it. Air Balloon Heatran is a nice check, since it can avoid Earthquake granted its Air Balloon is in-tact, and can then strike Pinsir down with a STAB Fire-type attack. Talonflame and Mamoswine are also good checks, since the latter has faster, super effective priority in the form of Gale Wings Brave Bird, and the latter has enough bulk to sponge a +2 Quick Attack and fire back with a strong Ice Shard. Aside from that, anything that can take a Quick Attack and is faster than Mega Pinsir does well against it; examples of these are Terrakion and Deoxys-S.

Any Additional Info: It is worth noting that the ability Mega Pinsir chooses to have as a regular Pinsir can actually effect its performance just a tad bit. Moxie is what most players prefer, as Pinsir can revenge kill a weakened Pokemon with Quick Attack and get an Attack boost from it. Mold Breaker, on the other hand, lets Pinsir lure in Rotom-W and smack it hard with an Earthquake. Lastly, Hyper Cutter lets Pinsir avoid the Intimidate drop from the likes of Mawile or Landorus-T as it sets up Swords Dance, or just outright attacks.

Feel free to adjust this as you see fit, TRC., since I'm sure you're more knowledgeable about Mega Pinsir than I am :P
This has already been done twice, the OP just isn't updated.
What to use:

Tornadus-T @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

What It Does: Tornadus-T is one of the best pivots in the metagame through its access to the combination of Regenerator and U-Turn. A high speed stat helps it to quickly get out with U-Turn or to dismantle a threat with Knock Off. Base 121 speed also allows the bird to revenge kill sweepers such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Latios, Manaphy, Landorus-T and many others. Tornadus-T can survive a long time throughout a match because a simple switch recovers a third of its HP. Because of this, it can switch in on for example leech seeds from Mega Venusaur and threaten it with a Hurricane. Speaking of Hurricane, the flying type has always been a great attacking type, and Hurricane, while not accurate outside of rain, hurts a large part of the metagame due to its high BP, STAB, Ev investment and the Life Orb. Overall, Tornadus-T provides a great pivot and a lot of utility to use for your team.

Good Teammates: Politoed is a fantastic partner because it provides 100% accurate Hurricanes, allowing Tornadus-T to spam the high-powered STAB move without worries. Tornadus likes partners that can take advantage of the free turn that is given to them, or keep the momentum on your side, such as other Voltturners. Its Therian brother Landorus-T can take on Electric type moves, set up SR and/or U-turn out.

What Counters It:
Mega Charizard Y can take on the physical moves Tornadus-T has and its drought makes Hurricane inaccurate. In a similar vein, Mega Ampharos and Mega Manectric can also take on any move Tornadus throws at it. Both pokemon also can't get their items knocked off. Besides those three, there are little counters to Tornadus-T because no pokemon can stop it from U-turning away and healing, or knocking off their valuable item (besides megas ofc). It is worth noting that Greninja outspeeds Tornadus-T by one point and threatens it out with Ice Beam. Jolteon, Mega Manectric and certain scarfed pokemon can also outspeed and take out Tornadus-T. The same goes for some high-powered priority moves.

Any Additional Info:
It is generally useful to send out Tornadus-T early-game, scouting with U-turn and removing items with Knock Off. Late-game, it can be used to check a dangerous sweeper on the opponent's side, or to use it as your win condition (only reliable on a rain team!) but when you have other pokemon that can do these jobs, there is no real need to preserve Tornadus-T until the end-game.
I think Focus Blast could be slashed with Superpower, and Tailwind and Rain Dance with Knock Off. Air Slash and Heat Wave are good if you're outside of rain, but if this is just the "spam Hurricane in rain" set, which obviously can't use them as effectively, then maybe put them in Additional Info (they're still all right since rain won't be up all the time).

I think Focus Blast could be slashed with Superpower, and Tailwind and Rain Dance with Knock Off. Air Slash and Heat Wave are good if you're outside of rain, but if this is just the "spam Hurricane in rain" set, which obviously can't use them as effectively, then maybe put them in Additional Info (they're still all right since rain won't be up all the time).
I looked at the C&C version of Torn, and the options you named are in OO there, so I think I'll edit them into Additional Info here as well. Thanks for noting!

Use

Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 84 Atk / 252 SAtk / 172 Spd
Mild Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

Role: Wallbreaker, Lure, Mixed Attacker, Offensive Lead

What It Does: If I could summarize how awesome this set has been for me in one sentence it would be this: I've had it take out 2-3 pokemon many times in the first few turns and make it really easy to win. Deo-S has been on of the best leads ever due to its high speed. This set takes different approach to this speedy pokemon that gives you a dangerous mixed attacker. with 172 speed, deo-s can outspeed base 150s by 1 without the need of a speed-boosting nature. 252 is poured into SAtk to maximize the special hits from special moves. And the last 84 go to attack in order to strengthen the superpower. As for moves: life orb makes that average 95 special attack hit hard, especially when paired with a 140 STAB move in the form of Psycho Boost. Ice beam hits grounds and deal good damage should they not have a secondary type capable of resisting it. Ice beam also gives a sure-shot way to go against non-choiced dragons(except Kyurem-B). Shadow ball lets you hit its psychic brethren as well as the ghost types who don't take super-effective damage. Superpower rounds off the set as a secret weapon that destroys T-tars and the unsuspecting Bisharps who thing you're just a special attacking Deo-S. Heatran, weakened Blisseys and Chanseys and Ferrothorns also take good chunks from superpower. The entire sets provides pretty good coverage that can take out your offensive pokemon really easily due to it being impossible to out speed it. If you're a long time player you might think this set gimmicky and how it relies too much on surprise factor but I can honestly say that it hasn't stopped it too much since you can just save it for late-game and deal major damage then.

Good Teammates: Fire types and fighting types compliment Deo-s nicely as they can deal with steel types that Deo can't hit hard enough(healthy ferros, skarm). You can also run Magezone to assist in your fight vs steels. Bulky waters also serve to be a problem(though if they are running physically defensive psycho boost will dent them really hard) so bring electric types/grass types to take them out. Hazards also help greatly, giving some prior damage to ensure that problems like the first sentence of What Counters It don't happen. 1 or 2 support pokemon to help Deo is generally preferable.
What Counters It: Sometime Deo-S can't just deal the finishing blow against non-bulky pokes with its moves leaving it vulnerable to OHKO(ex: Espeon can live a shadow ball then shadow balling back to OHKO after life orb recoil) which can prove to be annoying. 252 SpA Espeon Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Deoxys-S: 192-226 (79.6 - 93.7%)
Pokemon that resist its moveset or that can brush off Psycho Boost and that can deal with its coverage prove to stop Deo in its tracks most of the time. So Ferrothorn, Chansey, Goodra, Sylveon, Clefable, CM Latias, and Scizor are notable pokemon that have stopped Deo many times. Deo its also useless against boosting sweeper once they've got their boosts(notably DDancers) because of fragility. Lastly if Deo its forced to blow superpowe and psycho boost then you are forced to switch giving your opponent a free turn(which can lead to the problem of the sentence just above^)

Any Additional Info: This set has been an asset to many of my victories(/ranking Overforth on PS). Keep its counters suppressed and (your) hazards up to the best of your ability and watch Deoxys work its alien magic.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-97819753 Deo-s taking lives(turn 7). Done by my friend though we use the same team. Credit goes to him for the idea.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Zeta5 Deo-S doesn't need more than 16 attack with Life Orb.. that number allows it to OHKO 252 HP Tyranitar 100% of the time. Put the rest in speed. A +speed nature could also be used to outspeed some scarfers, most notably Garchomp.

Someone wrote about LO Deo-S before in this thread though.

Toxiderp AV Conk has already been written about.

Yeah, I feel really bad that this is taking so long, but I'll try and get it done. Sorry about any confusion, I'm kind of in a place where updating this is hard because of my limited technology. It will be done soon.

Zeta5 Deo-S doesn't need more than 16 attack with Life Orb.. that number allows it to OHKO 252 HP Tyranitar 100% of the time. Put the rest in speed. A +speed nature could also be used to outspeed some scarfers, most notably Garchomp.

Someone wrote about LO Deo-S before in this thread though.

Toxiderp AV Conk has already been written about.
Damn, I skimmed though the pages to ensure that I wouldn't do another one, seems skimming costed me...My apologies. The +Spatt nature is mostly for the extra power but I do see what you means. Thanks! :)

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
It also makes for a good status absorber as Conkeldurr really appreciates the attack boost when getting burned or poisoned making it a great check to the infamous Rotom-W.
The infamous Rotom-W. Yeah, infamous. Lol. Jokes aside, I understand what you mean, as it is new to most people. Very good point!

-

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD or 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk) or Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
IVs: 0 Atk, 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Role: Lead and Support as primary role, Pivot as secondary role

What It Does: Rotom-Wash is currently one of the best status users in the OU tier. With this particular set, it gets to make use of two status moves, instead of just one. It is a good pokemon to use as a lead if you aren't sure what to lead out with, as it is only weak to grass types and has good defenses, so it can take whatever is thrown at it. It is a "safe" choice you could say. If you do choose to lead with it, you have the choice of burning the opponent, or paralyzing them. If your opponent has an obvious switch in that can take a Will-O-Wisp (which is what most people expect), you can use Thunder Wave and paralyze it. Also, most people don't expect Rotom-Wash to have both Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, so you can generally status another enemy pokemon that thought it was safe from your first used status move. It can also take hits from many pokemon, enabling it to spread even more status before it goes down. Rotom-Wash also as the always useful Volt Switch, which it greatly appreciates. This move lets it switch another pokemon in safely, and keeps momentum going. You can use this after your status your opponent, or you can just use it in the first turn. Rotom-Wash tends to be Taunt bait, so if you suspect the opposing pokemon/lead has Taunt (I'm looking at you Sabelye), you can dish out some damage and change out to something else that doesn't mind a taunt. And finally, Rotom-Wash has one more thing going for it over other support pokemon. It has a quite respectable 107 base special attack and a STAB Hydro Pump to use it. It is not just set up bait (not that it would be anyways with a Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave looming), and can dent opposing support pokemon quite hard. It also enables Rotom-Wash to actually deal some damage and even get some KOs. You don't have to use it as support early in the game and then be be useless late game with no more status left to spread. Even Volt Switch deals a decent amount of damage against some pokemon. These qualities to spread status make a quality choice, and definitely give it a different role from the Pain Split Rotom variety. However, Pain Split Rotom-Wash is still very good as well, so it is all up to personal prefernce/team needs on whether to use a more crippling Rotom (Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave), or a more enduring one (Pain Split).

Good Teammates: One good teammate for Rotom-Wash is Latios. Latios is a good counter to many of the pokemon that counter Rotom. It has solid bulk, as well as roost, to enable it to take M-Venusaur's Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb (as well as the less common Hidden Power Fire) with ease, and hit back hard with it's STAB, supereffective Psyshock. Latios also walls Breloom, resisting its attacks and again hitting hard with Psyshock. It can also hit Conkeldurr hard with the same move, but it has to watch out for the stray super effective Ice Punch. Along with hitting many of Rotom-Wash's counters hard, Latios appreciates the status that it spreads as well. It has solid bulk, but the burns definitely help it take extra hits on it lower physical defense. It also appreciates the paralysis that other forms of Rotom can't provide. With a solid base 110 speed, it oustspeeds many things, but there are some things that still outspeed and threaten it. With the speed drop, these threats are neutralized and Latios can proceed to KO (Greninja!). Other good teammates include Scizor, who appreciates the extra bulk in defense from burns, which enable it to set up easier, or form a pivot core with U-Turn. Garchomp is another good partner, as it's main downfall, speed, is somewhat neutralized by Thunder Wave. Anything that appreciates Rotom's status spreading is a good partner, honestly. You just have to make sure you use pokemon that take advantage of what Rotom-Wash brings to the battle, and not just throw some random stuff alongside it. Don't just use status for the sake of status!

What Counters It: What counters Rotom-Wash is pretty much the same whether you are running a physically defensive or specially defensive one. If you choose to run the specially defensive Rotom-Wash, physical attackers would counter it more (obviously). Excadrill is a threat with Mold Breaker bypassing Levitate, meaning it can hit you hard with a STAB Earthquake and OHKO. However, it does need to come in clean (on for a revenge kill or from a U-Turn type move) because it does not like taking a Hydro Pump or Will-O-Wisp on the switch in. Another good counter would be Conkeldurr, because while he doesn't threaten Rotom to badly, he can take a Will-O-Wisp, and it even helps it a large portion of the time since it generally runs Guts as its ability. This causes it to be able to cause some significant damage while being able to take most of what Rotom throws back. Anything with a grass move is generally not something Rotom-Wash wants to stay in on since it does not have a way to heal the super effective damage. However, since Mega Venusaur is a common switch in, you can pretty easily predict it and give it some nasty status before switching out. Breloom also causes Rotom problems with its STAB grass type moves. Chansey and Blissey are not enemies that Rotom-Wash likes to see either, as they can tank Rotom's damaging moves with their Mensa level special bulk, cleanse the team of the status it spread with Heal Bell, bypass Rotom's solid bulk and dish out some damage with Seismic Toss, and apply status if their own in the form of Toxic to shorten Rotom's status inducing life. Mega Gyarados causes a problem similar to one that Excadrill does - hitting hard with a Mold Breaker Earthquake. If you choose to run the physically defensive variant instead, many of the same pokemon counter Rotom-Wash. Mega Venusaur's Giga Drain becomes even more threatening to the little appliance. However, Excadrill only does 98.6% damage max with Earthquake, so if Rotom is at max health, it has a 81.3% chance to OHKO back with Hydro Pump (against non-Assault Vest Excadrill). Despite this, it is still not recommended to leave in Rotom against Excadrill. Hard hitting special attackers also cause a great deal of grief, as they don't mind a Will-O-Wisp. However, as long as Rotom doesn't take to much damage (enough to make the damage worth the status), it can Thunder Wave the foe and slow them down (Alakazam, that would be you).

Any Additional Info: Rotom-Wash is a good pokemon to lead with as it enables you to status a pokemon right off the bat. However, if the opponent brings in something that Rotom doesn't want to face, it can Volt Switch to get out. You can't just keep randomly switching in Rotom, because with leftovers as it's only recovery it can't take repeated hits. Finally, spread status! Use the two status moves often! However, if you have already gave status to many pokemon and you think the opponent will switch in a pokemon already statused to absorb another status move, don't be afraid to switch into something else or use another move. Rotom-Wash can cause a fair amount of damage itself!

Last edited:
What to use:Physical Tank/Support
View attachment 10740
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 32 Atk / 248 HP / 40 Spd / 188 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake/Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw/Fire Punch
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp/Defog

Role:Tank/Support

What it does: While Charizard is often seen running an offensive set, this set stands out as a more tanky set. While this may seem not viable at first, you must remember that Mega Charizard X has good defensive stats of 78/111/85. Now you should also remember it has a great Fire/Dragon typing, which is only weak to Rock and Ground. It also has the unique ability to function as an emergency wall with Roost and Burns, which is great for any pokemon. It also hard counters pretty much every electric type not named Mega Ampharos, which is a great quality to have. A great quality it has as a defogger is the ability to win almost every 1v1 vs both Bisharp AND Thundurus, the two main Defiant users. Most defoggers only have a favorable matchup against one of them, Mega Charizard X is the only one with a good matchup vs both. While it may be 4x weak to rocks upon switch in, it can roost off the damage and that is a decent trade-off for being the only defogger able to beat Bisharp and Thundurus 1v1. Now for coverage options, it only have 2 moveslots, so it is kind of strapped for coverage. Dragon Claw and Earthquake are the first slashes over Fire Punch because they have the best coverage together, and with the attack EVs, Earthquake gets the guaranteed KO on all (viable) variants of Heatran. Dragon Claw is the first slash over Fire Punch because of its greater power and coverage. Fire Punch is viable for beating Skarmory, but that's about it. Some of the major flaws Tank Charizard X has over other tanks is the need for hazard removal, as it takes a whopping 50% damage from stealth rock upon switching in. As stated above, it can function as a hazard remove for itself, and it does well at that, but Will-o-Wisp is generally better in most situations. It also has noticeably smaller damage output compared to other tanks, so in most cases, it has to win with the residual damage of Will-o-Wisp and Roost. It also lacks the power to get past certain walls, so it will lose those battles more often than not. If you play Tank Charizard X to its strengths, it will be a valuable member of your team, as it has proven to be for mine.

Good teammates: For pokemon that benefit from it's support, Volcarona, Latias, Talonflame, and Gyarados all enjoy the burns it provides and the set of threats it can take on. Gyarados absolutely loves the support it provides because Mega Charizard X has favorable matchups against electric types and burns to mitigate its subpar defense. Volcarona and Latias enjoy it's support because it takes out Heatran, which both of them hate, and it provides burn support, making it easier for them to set up. Latias also enjoys Bisharp removed, as it is impossible for it to set up safely with Bisharp around. Talonflame enjoys it's uncanny ability to take on Heatran and Electric types, notably Rotom-W, and the burns it provides. For pokemon that support it greatly, Zapdos has great defensive synergy as it is immune to Ground and it provides defog. Zapdos also gets rid of Skarmory, which variants lacking Fire Punch love. Chesnaught is another great teammate as it resists both Rock and Ground and Charizard resists Fire. Chesnaught doesn't provide much support aside from leech seed and spikes, however.

What counters it: Pokemon that can take its hits and don't really mind the burn. Conkeldurr comes to mind as it gets a boost from the burn and from there it not only threatens Charizard, but the rest of its team as well. Some other things that can check it are Latios, Garchomp, and SubPunch Breloom. Breloom is immune to the burn if it's toxic orb is activated, and it can 2HKO from there with Focus Punch. Latios and Garchomp outspeed and KO with EQ and Draco Meteor respectively. Landorus-I destrolishes it with its LO Sheer Force boosted Earth Power, even though it is invested in special defense. Then we have the counters that can counter it depending on the moveset. Heatran counters variants running Earthquake, and Skarmory counters variants not running Fire Punch, though Skarmory is crippled by a burn.

Any additional info: Only run defog if your team needs the set of traits Mega Charizard X has as a defogger. Otherwise Zapdos outclasses it there.

Attachments

Last edited:
Surprised I havent seen this fucker included yet.
What to use:Physical Tank/Support
View attachment 10740
Scrotum Belly (Charizard) @ Charizardite X(ignore the nickname)
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 32 Atk / 248 HP / 40 Spd / 188 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp/Defog

What this set does is tank hits,both physical and special due to its great 78/111/85 bulk.Its the only tank capable of countering thundurus-I,Rotom-W,and pretty much every electric type without SE STABs(stunfisk and mega ampharos lol).The attack EVs and nature are so it can KO heatran no matter what,and thats as far as I know(going off of joeys video lol)and it has dragon STAB boosted by tough claws because even without max investment it still hurts like a motherfucker.Will-o-wisp is so you can support the team while you tank hits,as well as have a residual damage source when fighting other tanks.Roost means it can recover any damage it might have taken while tanking,so it can continue supporting the team with burns and attacks that hurt like a motherfucker.The speed EVs get a jump on the following:
BISHARP
ZAPDOS
LANDORUS-T
These are all either A:Burn targets or B:Cant kill CharX and can thus be outtanked.(I feel the speed EVs were filler)
Another great thing it can do is if you forgo burn support,it can defog(it cant do this in normal form tho,it has to be mega evolved).Its a great defogger as it isnt beaten by bisharp and it can retaliate with an EQ,KOing bisharp and charx alive.I would only defog if your team absolutely needs the qualities tank ZardX possesses;otherwise it is outclassed by others,hence why it gets second slash.All in all a great support tank that should be considered when building a team.Of course the flaws are a 4x weakness to SR when first switching in and the cost of a mega slot,but should be considered if you have the proper support(spin/defog) and you need a physical tank.
Why would you tell me to ignore the name when I clearly can't?

EDIT: In all seriousness this set is really good right now and screws over a lot of top tier threats such as Thundurus and Will-O-Wisp screws over Azumarill pretty hard.

Last edited:
The infamous Rotom-W. Yeah, infamous. Lol. Jokes aside, I understand what you mean, as it is new to most people. Very good point!

-

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk) or Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
IVs: 0 Atk, 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Role: Lead and Support as primary role, Pivot as secondary role

What It Does: Rotom-Wash is currently one of the best status users in the OU tier. With this particular set, it gets to make use of two status moves, instead of just one. It is a good pokemon to use as a lead if you aren't sure what to lead out with, as it is only weak to grass types and has good defenses, so it can take whatever is thrown at it. It is a "safe" choice you could say. If you do choose to lead with it, you have the choice of burning the opponent, or paralyzing them. If your opponent has an obvious switch in that can take a Will-O-Wisp (which is what most people expect), you can use Thunder Wave and paralyze it. Also, most people don't expect Rotom-Wash to have both Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, so you can generally status another enemy pokemon that thought it was safe from your first used status move. It can also take hits from many pokemon, enabling it to spread even more status before it goes down. Rotom-Wash also as the always useful Volt Switch, which it greatly appreciates. This move lets it switch another pokemon in safely, and keeps momentum going. You can use this after your status your opponent, or you can just use it in the first turn. Rotom-Wash tends to be Taunt bait, so if you suspect the opposing pokemon/lead has Taunt (I'm looking at you Sabelye), you can dish out some damage and change out to something else that doesn't mind a taunt. And finally, Rotom-Wash has one more thing going for it over other support pokemon. It has a quite respectable 107 base special attack and a STAB Hydro Pump to use it. It is not just set up bait (not that it would be anyways with a Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave looming), and can dent opposing support pokemon quite hard. It also enables Rotom-Wash to actually deal some damage and even get some KOs. You don't have to use it as support early in the game and then be be useless late game with no more status left to spread. Even Volt Switch deals a decent amount of damage against some pokemon.

Good Teammates:

What Counters It:

Any Additional Info:

I realize that this isn't complete and it still needs some more work. I am posting this on my iPod so when I get home from school and get on my computer I will finish it and add some more, including calculations and whatnot. I just wanted to post what I had for now, so I can start to get some feedback. I'm open to suggestions and ideas, and I'm curious what you guys have to say.
Just as a note, Rotom-W should be running 248 HP Evs, instead of 252 to hit the odd HP stat. Otherwise, thunder wave really should be slashed with will-o-wisp, as running both at the same time doesn't leave room for pain-split, the only way defensive rotom-w is going to survive to counter what it needs to. Notably Rotom-W without pain split is overwhelmed eventually by Greninja, Togekiss, and Talonflame, all things it should pretty much always be able to counter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)