Riolu** [QC: 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Originally written by Corkscrew in the LC QC project.

Overview
########
- Mostly outclassed by other Fighting-types
- Prankster Copycat sets it apart, allowing it to hit twice in a row most of the time, as well as revenge killing random threats.

Prankster
########
name: Prankster
move 1: Copycat
move 2: Protect
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Toxic / Crunch
ability: Prankster
item: Eviolite
evs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

-Prankster Copycat allows it to copy the last used move with priority. This means it can usually hit Drain Punch twice, or revenge Pokemon such as Scraggy, Dwebble or weakened Murkrow.
- It can also be used to copycat things such as U-turn or Voltswitch from a teammate to keep up momentum, or set up things such as the opposing teams hazards or boosting moves.
- Protect works amazingly well with Prankster as it allows it to protect itself from, and then use certain moves such as Foongus's Spore.
-Drain Punch is the main STAB move, providing decent recovery, especially when Copycat allows it to use it twice in a row.
- Toxic is great, and can be used, with priority, to nail Pokemon such as Misdreavus who would be worn down by it.
- Crunch is the best option against Ghost-type switch ins, having a good chance to 2HKO Eviolite Misdreavus after Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========

-Eviolite is the preferred item as it maximizes Riolu's bulk.
-EVs are heavily invested in Physical Defense, which allows it to take on Physical attackers, such as Scraggy, with ease.
-The rest is put into Special Defense to give it some Special Bulk.

Usage Tips
========

-Riolu should be used as a pivot, switching into the Dark-, Rock-, Steel- and Normal-types it walls.
-Often Copycat has very situational uses, so make sure you think about the plays you can make with it.

Team Options
========

- Voltturn users, such as Chinchou can often be used to get Riolu in safely, and then Riolu can copycat their Volt Switch or U-Turn to preserve momentum.
- Riolu needs something that can take on Poison-, Psychic-, Fairy-, or Flying-types. Cottonee and Fletchling are especially problematic as they can use faster priority.
- Chinchou helps with taking on Flying-types.
- Pawniard can switch into Cottonee, as well as Psychic-types moves.

Other Options
########

-Riolu can boost its stats with Swords Dance, Agility or Bulk Up, but its boosting sets are generally outclassed by other Pokemon.
-High Jump Kick is an option for a powerful STAB move and with Copycat, it can use it twice in a row to deal quite a lot of damage.
-Iron Tail is its best option against Spritzee, but its low accuracy is off-putting.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**:
**Poison-types**:
**Flying-types**:
**Psychic-types**:

Riolu can actually outspeed Fletchling if it's running max speed with Jolly.(At worst, it speed ties.) A more offensive set with Ice Punch/Blaze Kick/Drain Punch/Copycat with Speed and Attack maxed and a Jolly nature is what I used on one of my less serious LC teams.(I actually ripped through some guy's team with that set before he forfeitted.)Ice punch OHKO's Fletch and 2HKOs Vullaby after Stealth Rock, so Fletch can't revenge and Vullaby can't switch in. Ice punch should at least be in OO. Also Baton Pass support from Torchic turns this into a sweeper that is almost impossible to revenge kill.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Is the Copycat/Roar set not getting a mention or at least getting slashed in? It's Riolu's 'signature' set tbh. At the very least, add roar to OO because it is always an option. Would be worth mentioning that with increased use of defog, the set is less viable if hazards are easier to remove. But add hazard setters to team options.

Is the Copycat/Roar set not getting a mention or at least getting slashed in? It's Riolu's 'signature' set tbh. At the very least, add roar to OO because it is always an option. Would be worth mentioning that with increased use of defog, the set is less viable if hazards are easier to remove. But add hazard setters to team options.
Copycat can no longer select Roar.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Copycat no longer calls the move Roar in XY.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
My mistake, that I was not aware of.

EDIT: - Riolu needs something that can take on Poison-, Psychic-, Fairy-, or Flying-types. Magnemite takes all of these with ease, be more specific with the team options here and add magnemite in?

I think Substitute deserves a mention in the set.With Prankster it acts like Protect scouting moves but also prevents status, it's not wasted on a switch or a setup move and any HP lost can be healed with Drain Punch.

Copycat + Roar also sucks dick, nonetheless.

I would slash Crunch, first. Every time I have tried to use Riolu, I needed Crunch loads more than Toxic. Likewise, I think it should be a bit more offensive this gen, but I'm not entirely sure. Definitely needs something for Spritzee--that's primary threat numero uno.

I think you should definitely add Offensive Riolu to the analysis. It has proven its viability alot this meta and has become more widespread.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, what the others said. I wrecked some excellent people with SD riolu using HJK, and hitting 16 speed for KOing fletchling after some residual damage with copycat HJK is really great. Basically nothing can beat you except missy, but even then you can weaken on the switch with Blaze Kick (which also hits cottonee for a 2HKO on the switch with copycat, and hits foongus/croagunk (thanks dry skin))

It can also act as an offensive check to scraggy, since it's more reliable than Mienfoo at that job

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
is this analysis still mine, i don't even know

apt-get gimme your offensive set and it's sick and i'll do somehting about this analysis

unless somenoe else already took it over i really don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)