Serious Im quitting the game

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good on you for recognizing the problem in your life and cutting it off at the source. Pokemon isn't as important as the things that you'll truly enjoy in life. Maybe down the road you can ease yourself back into the scene, but it sounds like you've got a fair bit of self-development to work on as a priority.

Hi there, this was a saddening story to me, pokemon naturally isn't meant to be addicting, and I hope your life is more enjoyable without it (MMA can be a seriously good career). I hope one day you can find a balance, but I wanted to say good luck with everything, you deserve all the good luck that comes your way after making this life changing decision.

I posted about this here:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/what-are-you-giving-up-if-anything.3501463/

My "addiction" to Pokemon Showdown was quite mild, although I was the woman who spent more time reading about strategies than playing on the simulator. I probably had about 70 battles on Showdown on January, with my sole laddering run on January 27 where I went 26-8. I never really developed that killer instinct (such as being able to intuitively predict an Earthquake so I can switch in my Gengar) and was mostly conservative.

I actually loaned Pokemon Gold from a high school friend about ten years ago, and I found it quite boring, since I could defeat anyone (even Whitney) by simply leveling up. Also, I really did not want to spend hours trying to pursue the Legendary Dogs.

Battling seems to be more engaging and interactive...I really want competitive Pokemon to be appreciated more.

I will not watch any battle or participate in one during Lent. Also, I do not want to read anything about competitive strategies and tactics.

Good luck...

Just remember you gotta do things in moderation, anything to the point of addiction like that is pretty bad. But like the others said, props for recognizing it was becoming a problem for you and deciding to step away on your own terms.

I think the best thing for you is to win a tournament, from then your confidence and effort will probably grow. If you wanted to get back into Pokemon you should put yourself on a strict curfew and always put your sport first. For example, of you want to play Pokemon play it before a big event you want to go to, therefore you can force yourself to turn off your DS/computer. Oh either that or you get the trolling award of the year.

I'm done with the game as of now, but yeah if I decide to try it again in the future i'll definitely be coming with a whole different mindset.

And no, i'm not a troll. My life would have to be extremely sad and pathetic if I dedicated my spare time to post made up situations on forums.
I didn't think you were, I just thought I would look stupid if you are

Good for you to recognize your issues.

Pokemon can be extremely addicting. Many nights were lost as I stayed up played the games. :P The best thing for you to do is quit cold turkey for a few weeks/months and see what happens. Once you've cooled off and returned to the game the only real advice I can give you is to pace yourself. Only play an hour a day or 5 hours total in the week. Moderation for the things you love is better than giving them up entirely. (Except in the case of smoking, drugs, etc. but this is Pokemon we're talking about. :P)

Anyways, thanks for sharing.

I can totally get you, and kudos for directly posting about and confronting the problem. I got really really addicted last summer, to the point where I realized it had gotten so bad that I was considering asking an admin to ban me, to have someone leave me no other option but to quit. A small part of me realized though that a decision like that would just prove how weak i really was, so I really had to give it everything to stop, limiting myself to like an hour every day (which I couldn't really stick with). It's gotten better, but I still often feel that I spend far too much time here... Moving abroad to study has really helped though. I knew that I had to force myself to make new friends as soon as I came, as I knew that everyone else would be looking to make new friends, but people are often happier for someone else to take the initiative. So I joined the uni facebook group for freshmen, and just asked if there were other people who wanted to speak english, and I got tons of responses. Im incredibly happy that I found the courage to do this, as now I have a really great circle of friends, a girlfriend, and always stuff to do. People actually ask me for my opinions and stuff, and I've been told I'm actually charismatic, which felt amazing (I was pretty much a loner in high school, Pokemon played a large part in this). So yeah I got over the intense addictive behavior simply by moving out, fresh new start that I was determined not to screw up. I realize that many people don't have this opportunity though... This community is certainly addictive though; the friends I've made here, more than actually playing Pokemon, are the reason I keep coming back.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
I, too, have thought about quitting at points, but I've learned to balance over time. Ironically, I have found Pokemon is less fun when it is the sole focus of my life and more fun as a side activity of a complete life. I even do better on the ladder when I have other things outside of Pokemon to distract me.

It's also possible to specialize your efforts on the site, as well. Online battling is much more efficient than playing on the DS, so it might not be worth it to raise pokemon for Wifi battling and instead just play on Showdown. Time limits don't really work tbh since at 24 my guess there really isn't anyone there to enforce those things. What works better is trying to find the best times of day to play and only play during those times. Playing at night messes up sleep, and therefore not only ruins the rest of your life, but it's not as fun of a pokemon experience, either. Playing in between classes leads to missing classes and less time studying.

Online pokemon is a great loner activity. It's fun, it's challenging, and it's stimulating in ways "real life" lacks at times. However, it's almost too great of an activity as it can impair one's ability to interact with others (and yes, this conversation actually happened.) Cold turkey can work, but a better option is to add other social pathways that can naturally limit time spent doing this so this doesn't become your life. Let Pokemon be part of your life, not all of your life. If it's fun, there is no reason to stop, but the trick is finding the balance since there can definitely be too much of a good thing.

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
I had this problem actually. I stopped studying, ate too much, and quit working out, which led to bad grades and serious weight gain. Pokemon was extremely fun at first, but eventually I got bored of it. And yet I continued to play even when I didn't enjoy it.

I have a similar problem with online forums. I can spend hours browsing sites like reddit, 4chan, smogon.com/forums, etc. even when I'm not interested in what I'm viewing. I just do it to waste time. The truth is that video games such as Pokemon and the internet as a whole- while they can be fun at first- eventually grow to be just a distraction. They're just something I use to occupy time as I put off doing homework or as I isolate myself from the boredom and loneliness I experience from my lack of a social life.

It's a problem. And it's a problem I've battled with many video games and pointless websites (i.e. 4chan) throughout my life. I keep trying to confront this problem, and I'm getting better at it. For instance, I've installed website blockers on both my laptop and my phone- blocking sites like 4chan, pokemonshowdown, 9gag, ign, and even this site smogon. I've found my grades to slowly improve after doing so, and I'm getting back into working out. But I uninstall the blocker at times- (obviously, since I'm on this site writing this post now). Still, I keep reminding myself that I'm never gonna be happy unless I can leave this shit behind. I have to tell myself that I shouldn't play video games "just because." Every time I play a video game, I ask myself, "am I actually having fun, or am I just doing this because I have nothing better going on in my life?" And whenever I go on sites like 4chan, I have to tell myself to stop, and remind myself, "your social life in the real world is never going to improve when your only communication with other human beings is over a random website."

So, yeah, I guess this post doesn't apply to the OP since it sounded like you quit Pokemon in a period where you actually enjoyed it, while in my case I played it so much that I grew tired of it and used it only to evade the real world. But regardless, my point still stands that video games should be played for fun, not as an excuse to avoid confronting a shit life.

Last edited:
I understand how you feel man. I actually left Smogon for about 3 years until i decided to comeback about 2 months ago. I missed out on BW/BW2 and other competitive things around the community, i also lost my touch at ADV/DPP and it's been pretty shitty TRYING to re-learn everything after being away for so long. But i was really addicted, as far as being around the forums, and playing PO (Since i was in the PO-Staff at the time). But sometimes it's good to just, cut Pokemon out for a little, focus on other things. I managed to do it, but sooner or later, you just end up wanting to play it again. It never gets tiring. Goodluck and whenever you feel the timing is right to comeback, go ahead.

hi, I can relate to you on this. In 2011 December or something (I don't remember the exact month), I realized that I had been spending way too much time on Smogon. When I was on my laptop, I was either browsing the forums or on the Smogon server on Pokemon Online modding, chatting, and battling. When I was at school, I still frequently thought about Smogon, even in class, either thinking of tweaking my team to get reqs to come closer to earning a new badge or just browsing the forums and reading every other thread that was posted. I was in a really bad position at the time; my grades were seriously poor (I had a below 3.0 gpa freshman year of high school...), didn't have many friends, and was super awkward in general when having conversations with anyone who wasn't a good friend.

I realized I couldn't go on like this, and so I quit Smogon, with the intention of not coming back because I didn't think I could balance school with this site, and I was so dedicated to this site at the time that I would always opt for writing an additional Pokemon analysis over my essay due in 2 hours.

And in the last 2 and a half to 3 years that I have been gone, I have undergone a drastic change as a person. I'm doing very well at school, I have made many new friends, and have improved relationships with pretty much everyone. I think its important that you have recognized that you have this problem because it can be fixed. I'm not telling you to quit Smogon and all of Pokemon for as long as I did, but if it gets out of hand you may want to try laying off Pokemon for a period of time.

I have never really lost interest in Pokemon in the time that I have left. I remember seeing everyone getting X/Y about half a year ago, bringing their 3DS' to school, trading and battling each other while I quietly sat in the corner and tried to focus on my work. It was very difficult seeing so many people enjoying what I loved for the longest time, knowing that I could not join in with them.

But now, having come back after around 3 years and looking back, I am so glad I made that decision to temporarily lay off Pokemon and Smogon. I still love Pokemon as I always have, though I can definitely say I am no longer addicted to either this or the forums. I love who I have become, and I'm really grateful that I had the courage to quit.

Like any addiction, overcoming this Pokemon addiction is difficult, but with the right mindset and motivation, it is definitely possible. Regardless of what you decide to do, I hope it works out for you and I'm willing to talk more if necessary!

Hey guys, i'm back.

First of all i'd like to thank all of you for your support, the comments really meant (and still mean) a lot to me. I've read them all more than once and yeah, just wanted to thank you guys.

Onto what I want to say:

I've returned to the game, let me explain why.

I spent I believe nearly 2 weeks "forbidding" myself from even gazing upon the game, when I realize... I was even more miserable. I did some soul searching (i'll call it that, lol) and I came to the conclusion that if you truly ENJOY something in life, you should not avoid doing it, as long as this "something" does not jeopardize your health or anything like that. I realized that the reason why I became so addicted is because besides Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, i've never encountered any sort of activity (besides sex lmao) in which I had so much fun and I never got tired of. Having recognized that, I decided to let my passion go free, and just not let it interfere with any of my responsabilities, nor my training.

I train every day, sometimes twice per day. I eat well, fulfill my responsabilities (well, most of them hahaha) and I still play a shitload of competitive pokemon (because I love it). I weathered the storm so to speak, and now i'm approaching this new huge hobby that I have in my life, in a less "crazy" manner.

Some of you opened my eyes with comments refering to the fact that PERHAPS quitting on something when you're still enjoying it isn't the right thing, and you were damn spot on. I found myself having free time which I was bored out of my mind, and I knew I wanted to play pokemon, but of course my "disciprine" would not allow me to do so.

I'm still "addicted" per se, but it's a healthy addiction. I have a ton of fun, and hey, that's what life is about, having fun.

Training is going good, i'm thinking about getting myself another MMA fight in the near future. When it comes to pokemon, i've been fantasizing, for a while, about creating a youtube channel. Though I may lack the initiative lol, but it's a fun idea.

Again thank you guys for the supportive comments, and those who PM'ed me as well. If you have anything to say, go ahead, I hope this thread can help/motivate others who have gone through a similar situation.

The reason why I haven't replied earlier is because I wanted to make sure I hadn't just fallen again in the same pit hole, now that some time has passed, i'm certain that's not the case.

So anyways, that's all I have to say. Thanks for showing interest. Im off to my morning strength and conditioning session. Peace!

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
I love relating to this. I am an undefeated MMA trainer and still have pokemon time, although not much. Good for you man, even if you did come back!

Hey guys, i'm back.

First of all i'd like to thank all of you for your support, the comments really meant (and still mean) a lot to me. I've read them all more than once and yeah, just wanted to thank you guys.

Onto what I want to say:

I've returned to the game, let me explain why.

I spent I believe nearly 2 weeks "forbidding" myself from even gazing upon the game, when I realize... I was even more miserable. I did some soul searching (i'll call it that, lol) and I came to the conclusion that if you truly ENJOY something in life, you should not avoid doing it, as long as this "something" does not jeopardize your health or anything like that. I realized that the reason why I became so addicted is because besides Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, i've never encountered any sort of activity (besides sex lmao) in which I had so much fun and I never got tired of. Having recognized that, I decided to let my passion go free, and just not let it interfere with any of my responsabilities, nor my training.

I train every day, sometimes twice per day. I eat well, fulfill my responsabilities (well, most of them hahaha) and I still play a shitload of competitive pokemon (because I love it). I weathered the storm so to speak, and now i'm approaching this new huge hobby that I have in my life, in a less "crazy" manner.

Some of you opened my eyes with comments refering to the fact that PERHAPS quitting on something when you're still enjoying it isn't the right thing, and you were damn spot on. I found myself having free time which I was bored out of my mind, and I knew I wanted to play pokemon, but of course my "disciprine" would not allow me to do so.

I'm still "addicted" per se, but it's a healthy addiction. I have a ton of fun, and hey, that's what life is about, having fun.

Training is going good, i'm thinking about getting myself another MMA fight in the near future. When it comes to pokemon, i've been fantasizing, for a while, about creating a youtube channel. Though I may lack the initiative lol, but it's a fun idea.

Again thank you guys for the supportive comments, and those who PM'ed me as well. If you have anything to say, go ahead, I hope this thread can help/motivate others who have gone through a similar situation.

The reason why I haven't replied earlier is because I wanted to make sure I hadn't just fallen again in the same pit hole, now that some time has passed, i'm certain that's not the case.

So anyways, that's all I have to say. Thanks for showing interest. Im off to my morning strength and conditioning session. Peace!
im glad your back! I hope you'll try to continue living with Pokemon as opposed to your life being pokemon :) its hard to juggle multiple things at once and sometimes you just want to come outand not do anything

i can definitely relate to this shit, like a few people itt i actually havent been around smogon for a few years but was sucked back in by x/y, it really is the kind of thing where you can just shut yourself up and get infinite loner satisfaction from and there were dark times when i would be walking to uni and realize that i was thinking about the speed evs on my fucking rotom-w. i have an addictive personality and very little self-control so, sometimes you really just have to put things into perspective.

I didn't go to class, I didn't train. I BARELY ate, my bioclock would be completely off (what I mean is that I have expressed a severe sleep/rest disorder, i'm only tired during the day, I find it really hard to sleep during the night). My mobile phone's battery would die out and I would not even care (I would later turn it back on days after it went off and I would have lso many messages from people asking me where the fuck am I, my parents worried and such).
like it seems quite a few people here, this was pretty much my situation not too long ago. at the lowest point would literally go a whole day just eating a piece of plain bread because i didnt want to leave the house and was too lazy to cook anything to continue existing. but people go through shit and things get better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)