(party)

--------
Introduction
--------
There are 2 kinds of players: those who enjoy playing against other players the most, or those who enjoy spending time in team builder thinking of different toys and theorymoning the most. I'm one of the former, and so my teams usually just consist of 6 pokes I think might work well and playing, and then making drastic changes every game until I get a completely revamped team. That isn't to say I don't enjoy teambuilding and problem solving, but something about beating people in a children's game is really satisfying, you know? As such, this team isn't any different.

It's not really a creative team; it's a simple laddering team that focuses on shitting on common teams and screams OU. The team started as a team built around stall breaker Deo-D, but then every member bar Heatran and Chesnaught were swapped out. I usually play as a really aggressive spike stacking team until I can bait out the defogger and get a Toxic off on it. After that, hazards start to rack up massive damage and the game is over. Stall is definitely the easiest team type to play in comparison to others, so it's perfect for me :3. I went 33-0 on the ladder (http://i.imgur.com/HbMP7EU.png?1) before my first loss (fuck baton pass) so the team's pretty consistent.

--------
Team
--------

Chesnaught
@ Leftovers *** The Daddy
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Hammer Arm

Chesnaught is a sleeper in the current meta. It counters so much common stuff like mixed Aegislash, MegaTar, and Excadrill, while keeping some pressure on with Spikes and Leech Seed. This guy also gets free switch-ins on Mega Venusaur to set up Spikes (which is the easiest way to get their defogger out to poison). He's my secondary Keldeo counter, and beats most Mega Gyara. Rotom-W also has trouble breaking through as the best it can do is burn him. He's also a good switch-in to less common stuff like BU Defiant Thundurus (Hippo is still the first switch-in to any set, though). ATM he's really antimeta and underrated. Grass / Fighting is amazing defensive typing.

Spike stacking stall is not dead, despite what a ton of players will tell you. It just takes a little bit more time to take effect but it's just as effective as it was in previous gens. The most common way to deal with stall is smart switches with wall breakers, and punishing those wall breakers with big hazard damage helps a ton. Chesnaught gets around 2~ pokemon it can switch into against most teams, so getting those early layers is pretty safe and easy. Chesnaught can take advantage of those hazards really well since people feel the need to switch after being hit by a Leech Seed, or predicting a Spiky Shield. Hazards make the old negatives of protect-esque moves still end up as an advantage.

There is ches-naughting you can do about it.

Scizor @ Scizorite *** The Mommy
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SDef
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Knock Off / Defog

I honestly feel that Scizor makes the best use of the mega slot for stall teams simply because of all the utility it provides. It has the typing and the defenses to stop all kinds of common threats to stall like Mamoswine and Kyu-B. MScizor doesn't get 2HKO'd by Keldeo's Secret Sword either, so with it, Chesnaught, and Rotom-W, Keldeo has been dealt with fine. It's the reason my team doesn't get demolished by random wall breakers, and by Trick and Knock Off. U-Turn is the third best move in the game after SR and Toxic because it is guaranteed to keep advantage and has especially good utility on Scizor because of his good resistances. It has synergy with Defog, too, because Bisharp takes around 40% from U-Turn if it decides to switch in.

In addition, Scizor threatens Lati@s and Mew, the common defoggers for offensive and balance teams. If for some reason I can't get in TTar safely, I can get some decent double switches in to keep up the hazards and get momentum off the U-Turn, or KO them if they decide to stay in and Defog.

Defog on a spike stacking team may seem counter productive but it's important to have a better chance against a variety of teams. When I'm playing against Deo-D offense teams, I'll lead with Scizor and Defog turn 1. If they SR, it's prevented and if they Taunt, I haven't really lost anything. The next turn I can U-Turn out and probably get Red Carded into something random. Best case I got into TTar and can KO, and otherwise I can switch back into Scizor and U-Turn as they're forced to Taunt or switch to Bisharp. Sometimes (pretty much always, recently) I use Knock Off to hit Heatran or Skarm as it switches in because it makes them so much easier to deal with.

Heatran @ Leftovers *** The Daycare
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 208 SDef / 44 Spd
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

Heatran usually ends up on all my teams because it just covers to much even after the Genesect ban. Forcing out stuff like non-FP Mawile and Talonflame is just too important for defensive teams (especially the former since I lack Skarmory). Heatran and Scizor together beat most commonly used stall breakers, the most important being CM/CP MG Clefable. It's also my best bet at beating opposing defensive Heatran with Roar. 44 Spd EVs guarantee me to win the speed creep war vs opposing Roar Heatran, and outspeeds Adamant Mawile. Heatran also beats Toxic Aegislash without losing too much health overall because of Protect. Protect is just a really powerful move. It gives you knowledge, and 6% health in one moveslot, which is completely worth. It works well with Toxic and vs the common choice users being used atm such as Lando-T and Keldeo.

The main reason Heatran has kept its place on my team, though, is because it can beat Heal Bell Sylveon and Clefable (the bane of Toxic spam teams). A very important change this gen is that Roar goes through Protect now. This means that I can just Lava Plume spam against them until they have to Wish, and then Roar them out. With Lava Plume having it's 30% burn chance and doing around 24%~ each hit, they will be hard pressed to do anything. He-tran do everything that stall teams want.

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry *** The Father
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 28 SAtk / 48 Spd
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Rotom-W has fallen a little bit out of favor recently, and I can't see why. It's still an amazing poke that can do a variety of things wall. Teams aren't well prepared to deal with like they were when it was first in usage, either. Rotom-W offers me a safer switch in to stuff like MPinsir and Talonflame. The ground immunity is also pretty significant because now it can switch into Landorus, and lets Rotom-W function as a back up check to DD MTar (since a lot of them forgo Stone Edge to run DD / Crunch / Ice Punch / EQ) and Keldeo. The ground immunity also gives me more wiggle room against opposing spike stacking teams which ends up helping a ton. Rotom-W's main job, though, is that Rotom-W can stop BD Jolly Azumarill from ravaging my team. God I hate that thing.

Momentum on any team is a wonderful thing, but it's especially nice on spike stacking stall because of all the added pressure. VolTurning with Scizor allows Rotom-W to not only give me opportunities to set up hazards, but also to abuse them.

The EV's outspeed Jolly Azumarill, KO Gliscor with Hydro Pump, and the rest put in defense to tank MPinsir / Talonflame / Keldeo.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers *** The Mother
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Ice Fang

SpD Hippowdon is one of those reoccuring trends from last gen. In B/W, it ended up being considered an extremely antimeta poke, and it's happened again. Hippowdown covers so much common stuff atm (more specifically, fuck Thundurus) that it's pretty much irreplacable. I ended up deciding on using SR on Hippo over Heatran because Hippo: a. gets more switch-in opportunities, b. takes 1/2 as much from SR on the switch-in and has reliable recovery, and c. induces sand storm which hits all common defoggers bar Scizor. Hippo also helps against Alakazam, who I find obnoxiously difficult to deal with on normal stall teams (TTar gets outsped). Even with all the special investment, he still deals with weaker physical threats fine such as Landorus-T and Conkeldurr (if Chesnaught is low), and can function as a back up vs Bisharp.

More importantly, Hippowdon can beat Char-Y (albeit only in a best case scenario at full health). He and TTar are my main defense against the offensive behemoth, so if they have a Charizard I have to keep Hippo's health up. Charizard X is also mainly beat by Hippo (again at max health, thought Rotom-W can tank a hit, too). Hippowdon also helps against Landorus-I when I run Ice Fang. More often then not, though, I end up cheesing all of them with TTar.

Hippowdon and Heatran are the only shot I have against Baton Pass teams. Turn 1, I lead with Hippowdon to lay rocks down, and then I swap to Heatran to Lava Plume the sub as they BP to Mr.Mime or Espeon. If they go to Mr.Mime, it's a prediction game with Toxic and Substitute, but if they go to Espeon I have to pray to RNGesus that I get the burn with Lava Plume.

Tyranitar
@ Choice Scarf *** The Child
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Pursuit
- Superpower / Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide

The king of cheese tactics, Scarf Tar makes his appearance. TTar adds a lot of things to this team that make it work the way it does. With access to a fast Pursuit, Gengar and Lati@s fall, meaning a big threat is gone in the former, and I'm free to set up hazards against the latter. A lot of common threats against stall such as MPinsir, Char-Y, and Landorus are all surprised and KO'd. Ice Beam also does big damage against Gliscor, and can KO Landorus-T after SR. In a long game, the chance of IB to freeze is pretty reasonable as well, so aiming for that can often win a game on its own. I usually use Superpower because it revenges Bisharp and does decent damage to Excadrill. No matter what people say, a revenge killer is important on EVERY team type, be it a scarfer or a fast offensive threat, albeit TTar functions as more of a lure I guess. A strong Dark type is also helpful against lesser used mons like Reuniclus and Mew, who otherwise have the potential to be a pain.

One thing that's pretty fun to do is bluff this as MTar by not mega evolving the first turn as Scizor. This makes it seem like TTar is the mega and dismisses any idea of the fact that it's scarfed. This is very important as TTar is my main way of KOing huge threats. It may seem as getting KO's only works on the least cautious of players, there are a bunch of ways to reassure the opponent that Tyranitar isn't scarfed. You've just got to think a little and play like an assassin. And even if you can't get a kill with IB, Pursuit damage racks up on stuff like MPinsir and Landorus for the eventual KO. You won't need every member of your team to wall the opposing team. The goal is to wall the other team, not the whole meta.

--------
Threats
--------

The biggest threats to the team is TG Manaphy and DD MChar-X. Manaphy can come in on TTar stuck on IB (though I usually won't use it when they have a Manaphy) and Hippowdon after something was KO'd and set up (Heatran can live the unboosted Surf to get a Toxic off), and it can then KO my whole team. DDX is a pain because it's immune to burn, and has great bulk. Luckily, people are starting to use the specially defensive set more so I don't see it as often. Hippowdon has to be at good health to tank a hit and EQ. Other, more manageable threats are Lando-I, and MGarchomp. Lando-I usually ends up getting cheese killed by TTar, but I probably shouldn't rely on that. MGarchomp doesn't get OHKO'd by IB so I have to hit it with either BP or get a Toxic off. I have to play basically a 4v6 because I don't want to induce sand. Although it's really rare, Sub MHera is a pain in the ass unless I can get the Toxic off on it before it subs and defensive Heatran is annoying af to kill because I don't want to have Hippo statused. Conkeldurr is in the same boat as I have to predict really well after I get the Leech Seed on it. Oh, and Baton Pass is gay.

Art by Meredith (http://shozuka.deviantart.com/)

replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-103685820
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-103722700

Last edited:
I like this team a lot. Such simple moves, but so effective. It can rip apart so many opponents. I'm testing this team and am 10-1. I wish I could make stall teams nearly as good as this.
A very solid team!

dragon_poop
ty ty

Cloyster Chowder
imo burn is just not as good as poison on this team. With WoW, both Manaphy and Char-x becomes even more annoying to deal with, and Conkeldurr becomes much harder to wear down, for example. Toxic just speeds up the game a lot, and doesn't miss as much.

I find that Greninja can deal SERIOUS blows to any member it chooses with HP fire/Ice beam/dark pulse. I'd suggest taking TTar out for either Unaware Spdef Clefable or Sylveon.
I also found that it's tough to take down conk sometimes. So those two could alleviate that. I'll test it out later

dragon_poop
If it runs HP Fire / IB / Dark Pulse then it lacks either Hydro Pump or U-Turn. Without Hydro Pump it can't hit Heatran very hard, and without U-Turn I just have to get Scizor in on an IB to force it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)