Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

Hey does anyone have a non English game? I want to hatch a shiny shieldon and I don't have any good foreign parent. In my last pledge and report I used flawless Japanese eeve and fletchling I got through wonder trades. I already have two good patents and all I need to do is trade them to you guys. For this shieldon I'm planning on reporting 500 eggs.

i dont think i will hatch eggs for a long time so here is my results
total eggs hatched: 5570
total shinies obtained: 6 <1 chatot 3 litwicks 2 mareeps>
will resume when i am done with other stuff

455 eggs hatched, 2 shinies. Sort've sweet and sour about my odds, wanted a female shiny mareep, gotten 5 male shiny mareeps so far.

Ok everyone has been added and updated :) sorry it was out of date for a bit I was out of reception all day yesterday. Thanks to everyone who joined :)

P.S. friendly tip I discovered yesterday, for those of you who don't know, you can get different berries in a battle using certain moves when a berry tree appears in a battle background. Also you can get certain herbs and stones with other objects in the background also using certain moves. I was amazed I didn't know that already lol but was excited to find out about it because there are different berries that you can get this way that you can't get any other way. Not even by mutating :)

Last edited:
This whole thing is still active? I think I will help!
I'm using batches of 150.

Batch 1 - 1 shiny (150 eggs hatched so far)
Batch 2 - 1 shiny (300 eggs hatched so far)
Batch 3 - no shiny (450 eggs hatched so far)
Total - 450 eggs hatched - 2 shinies

It's best to create a new post everytime I hatch new eggs? Or I have to update this post?
New update, hatched batch 3. No shiny...

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With shiny values now a thing again (KeyBV/KeySAV) and so many egg results already reported, if you're trying to breed a shiny... just use Shiny Values.

We'll be able to get the actual rate from game data soon; the experimental rate should be good for now.

Last edited:
Updating: Reached 750 Fletching eggs, got 1 shiny at egg #605 (No Gale Wings, and it's missing ATK IV so... He sucks.)

Starting my hunt for Solosis, I'll report when I get one/reach at least 600 eggs.

A bit of background:

The Shiny Charm is a key item earned by completing the National Pokédex. In 5th generation games, its effect was to increase the chance of wild Pokémon and bred Pokémon being shiny. In particular, it raised the chance of an egg from two different-language parents being shiny from 6/8192 to 8/8192.

The Shiny Charm returns in X/Y, but its English-language description now specifically mentions 'wild Pokémon'. According to Serebii, the Japanese description says no such thing. I want to determine whether the Shiny Charm still works for Masuda Method breeding in X/Y.

First, we need to take into account that the shiny rate in X/Y is double that of previous games. I don't know whether this applies to Masuda Method breeding too, but from my experience it seems to be a safe assumption. Therefore, I will assume the chance of hatching a Masuda Method shiny in X/Y is 6/4096 (=3/2048).

Now, to test whether this is affected by the Shiny Charm, we just need to hatch loads of eggs. The more eggs, the better! Of course, it's impossible to prove it with 100% certainty, so I'll settle for being 90% sure the Shiny Charm improves the odds.

Ideally, I want to get 50,000 eggs hatched in total. This is a large enough sample that we can be 90% sure both ways (if there are 84 or fewer shinies, then we can be 90% sure that the shiny chance is not increased; on the other hand, if there are 85 or more, we can be 90% sure the shiny chance is increased).

Now, I can't hatch 50,000 eggs by myself, so I'm looking for volunteers to help me out. The only requirements are that you have the Shiny Charm in X/Y and two different-language parents to breed. If you want to volunteer, post here, and give an estimate of how many eggs you are planning to hatch. It is important that you report back once you're done, even if you didn't hatch any shinies. I can't accept any data if you don't post before you hatch the eggs (i.e. I don't care how many eggs it took to hatch shinies you already have), since those results are inherently biased (someone who hasn't hatched a shiny wouldn't post that, skewing the data).

I'm planning on hatching a couple of thousand eggs myself - my initial target is 1,000.

Hatching Pledge Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...RDV0trZXpwMDFvSFBfVkRDTVE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Well, here's my pledge. But after that, a shot introduction about my positive turns on the shiny charm.

So there I was a week later the game came out. I wanted to get my first wanted shiny Masuda Pokémon, so I put breeding a Ditto 5 IV's of mine (ENG), and a Beldum born in a friend's game who has the game in Spanish.

500 eggs or more and it didn't hatch. So, I quit sadly... In that time, shiny charm was only an illusion for me. Out of my reach.

Then, almost 4 months later when we all had already a 6 IV's foreign Ditto and in my case, the shiny charm, I decided to Masuda again.
My goal was 500 eggs also and I hatched 2 shiny Zoruas upon the massive amount of eggs, which I would like to presume cause I hatched them on the same batch of eggs. The first hatched on the 478th and the second one on the very 480th. Almost in succession, a once in a lifetime event <3

But then I decided to Masuda again. 147 eggs for a Solosis, 142 for a white Flabébé and 36 for a Ralts. A Feebas came out while
I was chaining at the 4th egg :P and now I'm trying to hatch a shiny Druddigon.

So, it goes like this:

-(JAP) Ditto 6 IV's Sassy w/Destiny Knot
&
-(ENG) Druddigon HA Adamant 5 IV's (no Sp attack) w/Everstone (Egg Moves: Iron Tail, Poison Tail and Fire Fang)

-Shiny Charm
-Egg goal: 500
-Currently hatched: Over 13 boxes (380 exactly)
-Shiny on: Still searching

I will try to report when I get to the goal.

FC: 0533-4107-6522/0576-5069-6469
IGN: Antares/Ponche
Also, cloning services.

Well, here's my pledge. But after that, a shot introduction about my positive turns on the shiny charm.

So there I was a week later the game came out. I wanted to get my first wanted shiny Masuda Pokémon, so I put breeding a Ditto 5 IV's of mine (ENG), and a Beldum born in a friend's game who has the game in Spanish.

500 eggs or more and it didn't hatch. So, I quit sadly... In that time, shiny charm was only an illusion for me. Out of my reach.

Then, almost 4 months later when we all had already a 6 IV's foreign Ditto and in my case, the shiny charm, I decided to Masuda again.
My goal was 500 eggs also and I hatched 2 shiny Zoruas upon the massive amount of eggs, which I would like to presume cause I hatched them on the same batch of eggs. The first hatched on the 478th and the second one on the very 480th. Almost in succession, a once in a lifetime event <3

But then I decided to Masuda again. 147 eggs for a Solosis, 142 for a white Flabébé and 36 for a Ralts. A Feebas came out while
I was chaining at the 4th egg :P and now I'm trying to hatch a shiny Druddigon.

So, it goes like this:

-(JAP) Ditto 6 IV's Sassy w/Destiny Knot
&
-(ENG) Druddigon HA Adamant 5 IV's (no Sp attack) w/Everstone (Egg Moves: Iron Tail, Poison Tail and Fire Fang)

-Shiny Charm
-Egg goal: 500
-Currently hatched: Over 13 boxes (380 exactly)
-Shiny on: Still searching

I will try to report when I get to the goal.

FC: 0533-4107-6522/0576-5069-6469
IGN: Antares/Ponche
Also, cloning services.
I have added all your totals after charm was obtained and put them on the new spreadsheet. Thanx for joining :)

I've hatched exactly one hundred and fifty Japanese-American Froakie eggs since I obtained the charm; no Shinies yet, unfortunately. I've set a goal to hatch another hundred by Friday. I'll update every hundred eggs or so.

Hello all,

I'm back with another update, it's been a while since I've updated mainly due to personal matters, but I'm back to hatching eggs, and hunting for my shiny Pokemon. Since last time I was at:

Pokemon - Vulpix; Number of Eggs Hatched; 35; Egg # Shiny Vulpix Achieved: 31
Pokemon - Ponyta; Number of Eggs Hatched 95; Egg # Shiny Ponyta Achieved: N/A

Now that I've had some time to hatch some more and spend some more time hatching... I am now at:

Pokemon - Vulpix; Number of Eggs Hatched; 35; Egg # Shiny Vulpix Achieved: 31
Pokemon - Ponyta; Number of Eggs Hatched 175; Egg # Shiny Ponyta Achieved: N/A

Best of Luck to you all in your shiny hunt... I just want my Shiny Ponyta, why can't I be as lucky as the Vulpix lol :D

168 more eggs, 1 more shiny. My 6th shiny mareep on my quest for a female shiny, again another male :'( . Seriously, 6 shinies of a 50/50 gender chance, all male. This one was my first perfect shiny, though, (perfect defenses and sp.attack, 0 iv in speed for trick room) which makes me want to quit breeding mareeps, but part of me still feels a little disappointed. If anyone's interested, here's my strategy: turn off wireless connection, soft reset, go to the 3 star dining cafe place (forgot name), go through 3-5 meals, tip $10,000 each time, deposit about 5-7 boxes of eggs (without hatching any), then save, turn wireless back on and go around in circles in the middle of lumoise city while hatching eggs and using hatching o-power. The wireless and waiting before hatching eggs are my attempts at keeping the eggs on rng frames as close as possible (technically same odds, not sure at all if it's even true, but Ive had great results). Also tipping increasing odds is still unconfirmed, but like i said: great results. It could be I'm just lucky and all this extra stuff is completely unfounded, so take it with a grain of salt unless you've been incredibly unlucky or something.

168 more eggs, 1 more shiny. My 6th shiny mareep on my quest for a female shiny, again another male :'( . Seriously, 6 shinies of a 50/50 gender chance, all male. This one was my first perfect shiny, though, (perfect defenses and sp.attack, 0 iv in speed for trick room) which makes me want to quit breeding mareeps, but part of me still feels a little disappointed. If anyone's interested, here's my strategy: turn off wireless connection, soft reset, go to the 3 star dining cafe place (forgot name), go through 3-5 meals, tip $10,000 each time, deposit about 5-7 boxes of eggs (without hatching any), then save, turn wireless back on and go around in circles in the middle of lumoise city while hatching eggs and using hatching o-power. The wireless and waiting before hatching eggs are my attempts at keeping the eggs on rng frames as close as possible (technically same odds, not sure at all if it's even true, but Ive had great results). Also tipping increasing odds is still unconfirmed, but like i said: great results. It could be I'm just lucky and all this extra stuff is completely unfounded, so take it with a grain of salt unless you've been incredibly unlucky or something.
A friend of mine just talked to me about the tipping thing. He's been really "lucky" with his shiny hunt since he got 3 shiny vulpix (MM and Charm) and I believe I got them in less than 500 eggs. Is there any more information about that increasing the odds?

After I get shiny charm, I was preparing my charmander to get start the breeding and then I get my first shiny without masuda on #13 egg. So after this I started the pledge of 1000 eggs with Batch of 100, here is my contribution:
6iv Ditto JAP x 5iv Charmander ENG
Batch 1: (no shiny)
Batch 2: 2 shinies #127 5iv adamant charmander, #165 same.
6iv Ditto JAP x 4iv Beldum ENG
Batch 3: (no shiny)
Batch 4: (no shiny)
I switched to another parent, so now it is:
6iv Ditto JAP x 5iv Beldum ENG
Batch 5: (no shiny)
Batch 6: (no shiny) oh god.
Batch 7: (no shiny)
I gave up and switched the parent again but now with another pokemon:
6iv Ditto JAP x 5iv Venipede ENG
Batch 8: 1 shiny #710 5iv Jolly Venipede w/ Speed Boost. And I'm still hatching this batch.
Update. Now I got one more shiny on #710 egg. And I'm close to finish my pledge of 1k.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but Midnyte's job would be incredibly easier if we cut the long posts explaining IVs, Natures, gender, etc. and just posted the plain old results.

Eggs hatched: xx
Shiny count: xx

Edit: I mean by all means get excited about what you hatched, I almost had a heart attack over my perfect IV moxie Heracross, just make sure to include that format ^ before your lengthy post.

Also, I've been using a JAP 6IV ditto w/ destiny knot, but almost every Bulbasaur I've hatched will only have 3 perfect IVs and sometimes one 0 IV. What is going on?

I'm using an english 5IV gastly and a German 5IV litwick right now. The litwick is from an English Pokemon Y with German language on an American 3DS set to Brazil...does that Litwick still work for MM? It has the GER black indicator on its status screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)