Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
|/hide]

One of the things I have problems with is Rotom-W, though, to which I have no safe switch-in, but it usually can't switch in anything. Thundurus set OHKOes Latios after SR with knock off, but I guess I could use prankster thunder wave instead
Mega-Venusaur probably walls me but meh

This guide was really helpful!

Here's my variant of the usual CharYzard team:

Rock's greatest hits (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

My Little Furry (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Godzilla (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower

Drill Dozer (Excadrill) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Mustache Man (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 188 Atk / 68 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landoge (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
|/hide]

One of the things I have problems with is Rotom-W, though, to which I have no safe switch-in, but it usually can't switch in anything. Thundurus set OHKOes Latios after SR with knock off, but I guess I could use prankster thunder wave instead
Mother of choiced items...I know this post wont be too helpful but switching exacdrill out for latias/os seems to be the best option. He is a safe switch into rotom and then you dont have 3 choiced pokemon on your team.

I would like to hear why you have excadrill and ttar scarfed though( I understand ttar but i dont see the need for both to be scarfed)

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mother of choiced items...I know this post wont be too helpful but switching exacdrill out for latias/os seems to be the best option. He is a safe switch into rotom and then you dont have 3 choiced pokemon on your team.

I would like to hear why you have excadrill and ttar scarfed though( I understand ttar but i dont see the need for both to be scarfed)
well, I had some problems with talonflame, so donking it with rock slide was good. I also had a pretty huge dragonite weakness, but I can revenge it with rock slide, which is good. I also like the fast spin, since I feel defog is pretty meh. DD gyarados too, pretty much everything with dd apart from charXzard. It also helps a lot with greninja, gengar which can shit me over with a tie, and overall nothing can prevent a spin since the only two spinblockers are aegislash and gengar lol. Latios also adds another ice weakness, which means mamo and weavile donk me even harder, and you can beat NP thundy which otherwise grabs a boost on pursuit locked ttar and 6-0es me. All these threats are the ones Valentine highlighted to be threatening to classic CharYzard teams, so it can usually perform better against those.

I know exactly what you mean cause i use Excadrill in my Zard Team, too, but for other reasons (dedicated to Wifi -> Latios with defog quite difficult)
I recommend you to just change its ability to sand rush. It works extremly good, you can even invest some Ev to make it bulkier, still outspeeding evrything except Deo-S.

Scarf your Keldeo? Then you may have a reliable way to counter Greninja
Clefable though may be a problem, unless you keep taunt somewhere (thundurus?)

otherwise solid team

Small nitpick: I'm inclined to suggest running a Relaxed Nature and a 25 Spe IV on Hippowdon; this is because if Hippo is often a switch-in for Aegislash, Weakness Policy variants can take the EQ and have a slight chance of OHKOing with +2 Shadow Ball.

Aside from that, I'm really intrigued with this archetype team you have going on. :]

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Small suggestion:
Perhaps mention chesnaught in the fighting that resists dark section?
It doesn't resist dark, so that's the first thing to say:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 227-269 (59.7 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
but
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 199-234 (61.6 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
and every other move does 70%~ to keldeo while chesnaught takes 40%~.
Lucario and infernape won't be taking it too much better I'm sure.

Chesnaught has plenty of other perks to it as well. Countering mega gyarados and mega tyranitar and soft-checking azumarill is just the start.
He effortlessly switches into a plethora of other threats, like aegislash, bisharp, landorus-t, some gengar, excadrill, crawdaunt, hippowdon, ferrothorn, conkeldurr, scizor, (can taunt to prevent SD+roost) and it can even survive two specs hydro pump after lefties from keldeo with a mere 40 evs in sp. def, while shrugging off secret sword easily. It has semi-reliable recovery in synthesis, and is a strong check to both sand stream users anyway. Can set spikes, Leech Seed and Spiky Shield for passive damage, and Roar and Taunt for support, while Hammer Arm is a reliable attack to handle chansey, tyranitar, and bisharp.

Overall solid mon that, while out of place in the offensive nature of this team, still pulls its weight by totally stopping some big threats.

OMG I love you for exposing me to this team ^^. This team wrecks babies on Showdown. Though with a few of my edits of course ^^

suggestions:

Latios: Surf > EQ, I don't think its useful for your 4 Atk investment, not enough heatrans running around. Surf helps predictable Tyranitars.
Thundurus: You NEED HP Ice, the amount of times Landorus and Gliscor have understimated this is crazy
Keldeo: Scarf. Easy Greninja-Killer. Dunno, i found scarf funn"er" than specs
Hippowdon: I think I needed the rock slide > SR sometimes. Call me crazy cause its SR, but you need to defog-away anyways for Charizard to come in safely. Better for talonflames.
Aegislash: I might be bad, but I don't really understand the shadow ball. Shadow sneak does the job good enough, and allows me to go full on physical. That's just me.

Currently I believe I'm about 8-2-0 with this team. I wish Keldeo could be an orb sweeper, but doesn't have the health to do that.

OMG I love you for exposing me to this team ^^. This team wrecks babies on Showdown. Though with a few of my edits of course ^^

suggestions:

Latios: Surf > EQ, I don't think its useful for your 4 Atk investment, not enough heatrans running around. Surf helps predictable Tyranitars.
Thundurus: You NEED HP Ice, the amount of times Landorus and Gliscor have understimated this is crazy
Keldeo: Scarf. Easy Greninja-Killer. Dunno, i found scarf funn"er" than specs
Hippowdon: I think I needed the rock slide > SR sometimes. Call me crazy cause its SR, but you need to defog-away anyways for Charizard to come in safely. Better for talonflames.
Aegislash: I might be bad, but I don't really understand the shadow ball. Shadow sneak does the job good enough, and allows me to go full on physical. That's just me.

Currently I believe I'm about 8-2-0 with this team. I wish Keldeo could be an orb sweeper, but doesn't have the health to do that.
I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong OP, but this team seems to be designed for higher-level play. For Latios, Surf over EQ isn't a good idea as Heatran is rampant the higher up you go, and they are usually specially defensive so Surf does pitiful damage. As for Thundy, HP Flying severely dents Mega Venu, which is everywhere. Keldeo handles those two you mentioned with ease so HP Ice isn't as necessary. Keldeo loses a ton of KOs with scarf, so specs is definitely better in this instance. Thundy's Twave helps vs fast sweepers. As for SR on Hippo, due to it's great bulk, SR is good as he can set it up easily and repeatedly due to Slack Off, so it's nice to take advantage of that. Having a Defogger on the team is no reason to not run SR. As for Aegi, Shadow ball CRUMBLES and gives it a way of CRUMBLING whatever switches in due to ghost's great neutral coverage. Mixed Aegi is great. This is just my opinion though and I'm probably wrong

I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong OP, but this team seems to be designed for higher-level play. For Latios, Surf over EQ isn't a good idea as Heatran is rampant the higher up you go, and they are usually specially defensive so Surf does pitiful damage. As for Thundy, HP Flying severely dents Mega Venu, which is everywhere. Keldeo handles those two you mentioned with ease so HP Ice isn't as necessary. Keldeo loses a ton of KOs with scarf, so specs is definitely better in this instance. Thundy's Twave helps vs fast sweepers. As for SR on Hippo, due to it's great bulk, SR is good as he can set it up easily and repeatedly due to Slack Off, so it's nice to take advantage of that. Having a Defogger on the team is no reason to not run SR. As for Aegi, Shadow ball CRUMBLES and gives it a way of CRUMBLING whatever switches in due to ghost's great neutral coverage. Mixed Aegi is great. This is just my opinion though and I'm probably wrong
Yeah I realized I was an idiot. Surf will do approximately the same damage to heatran, but the ground works to fuller extents (I'm testing HP Ground). Realized it also works well to common steel switch-ins such as Mega-Mawile and Bisharp. Specs I was wrong about as well scrap that. Also the SR on Hippowdon. But I really would go for keeping the HP Ice.

PS On my other post, Shadow Claw > Shadow Sneak

You need a SpD wall somewhere, don't know where tho (if Thundurus could learn CM O.o)

Last edited:
I am in luff with this team been playing around with a variant before I found this when it was originally posted, and after testing your version I ended up dropping Aegi currently for a dread Plate Bisharp with 4 atks for utility with pursuit, knock off sucker punch and iron head. May I just say he has been testing beautifully in the friendly shields place Also love the ev spread on the hippo works beautifully for what it is intended to do. Have you done any testing with whirlwind on Hippo over toxic? I find it helps deal with certain set up mons that give the team a bit of hard time. Also how do you deal with Unaware Cm Clefairy. This has been my one real issue when using this team is that accursed fairy.

Here is what I've been noticing as your team's "biggest rivals"

Tyranitar will be leave a dent on this team. Choice Scarf Pursuit Aegislash or Lati@s, Charizard and Thundurus can't deal with its SpD.
Azumarill is in the same category as Tyranitar, Wrecking Lati@s and Keldeo Play-Rough. Also Huge Power Waterfall severely harms Charizard and Hippowdon.
Conkeldurr will also be running through this team. Smart Knock-Off will kill Aegislash and Lati@s, and Rock Slide (if carried) kills Charizard

Main 2 things I want to get through:
1. Lati@s is toast, you've gotta do something about him/her.
2. Too many Special Attackers, you need some physical breakers. Stuff Like AV Conkeldurr, Tyranitar, Blissey, will shit on this team.

This guide was really helpful!

Here's my variant of the usual CharYzard team:

Rock's greatest hits (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

My Little Furry (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Godzilla (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower

Drill Dozer (Excadrill) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Mustache Man (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 188 Atk / 68 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landoge (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
|/hide]

So Much Fly, Many Ground.

I Think You should take off the excadrill for a defoger like Lati@s or Mandibuzz

Here is what I've been noticing as your team's "biggest rivals"

Tyranitar will be leave a dent on this team. Choice Scarf Pursuit Aegislash or Lati@s, Charizard and Thundurus can't deal with its SpD.
Azumarill is in the same category as Tyranitar, Wrecking Lati@s and Keldeo Play-Rough. Also Huge Power Waterfall severely harms Charizard and Hippowdon.
Conkeldurr will also be running through this team. Smart Knock-Off will kill Aegislash and Lati@s, and Rock Slide (if carried) kills Charizard

Main 2 things I want to get through:
1. Lati@s is toast, you've gotta do something about him/her.
2. Too many Special Attackers, you need some physical breakers. Stuff Like AV Conkeldurr, Tyranitar, Blissey, will shit on this team.
......yeahh.....Ok, Tyranitar is absolutly no problem, hippo eats it for breakfast and Keldeo can also switch in with ease, you only have to keep Lati out of his range. Azumarill is definitly a problem to this team, but usually takes out one Pokemon and then gets revenged by Lati. Conkeldurr...lol.. hippo walls every Conkeldurr lacking Bulk Up, and even these one have no recovery, so they can be worn down quite easy. For Blissey: I dont know if you recognized that Keldeos Secret Sword OHKOs Blissey :)

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Yeah I realized I was an idiot. Surf will do approximately the same damage to heatran, but the ground works to fuller extents (I'm testing HP Ground). Realized it also works well to common steel switch-ins such as Mega-Mawile and Bisharp. Specs I was wrong about as well scrap that. Also the SR on Hippowdon. But I really would go for keeping the HP Ice.

PS On my other post, Shadow Claw > Shadow Sneak

You need a SpD wall somewhere, don't know where tho (if Thundurus could learn CM O.o)
Earthquake does almost 4 times more damage than Surf on Specially Defensive Heatran. EQ is also great to smack Ttar and Aegi on the switch for decent damage.

Hi! Congratulations for your team, it's really good!
About the problem it has with greninja, you can solve that and eliminate other dangerous threats using latios scarf.
It probably sounds odd to you but it effectively lures and kills greninja, also taking care of manectric and scarfed / +1 dragons that can't be walled by aegi. Also it's speed is unafected by sticky web and 1-2hkoes all the sky trio. (Try him out with ice beam instead of EQ).
The bad things about using him scarfed are that you can be locked into defog (that's not allways a problem because you usually need to switch out after cleaning hazards) and that lati can't do anything to pursuit trappers (who are not very common).
Hope this was useful to you, thanks for reading!

Hi! Congratulations for your team, it's really good!
About the problem it has with greninja, you can solve that and eliminate other dangerous threats using latios scarf.
It probably sounds odd to you but it effectively lures and kills greninja, also taking care of manectric and scarfed / +1 dragons that can't be walled by aegi. Also it's speed is unafected by sticky web and 1-2hkoes all the sky trio. (Try him out with ice beam instead of EQ).
The bad things about using him scarfed are that you can be locked into defog (that's not allways a problem because you usually need to switch out after cleaning hazards) and that lati can't do anything to pursuit trappers (who are not very common).
Hope this was useful to you, thanks for reading!
I dont agree with your fix to greninja, mainly because I dont think I have ever seen a competent player switch a greninja into a latias unless they were sacking it, or really really predicted the defog. Not only that but the problem this team has with greninja is it has no reliable switch ins, and because 2 of greninjas most common moves hit latias for SE damage, that problem still persists. Not to mention that latias cant reliably OHKO greninja, while it greninja can threaten the OHKO.

Just saying I think that scarfing latias doesnt really solve any problems and just created new ones

zapdos is a threat to this team because the only thing that can comfortably switch in and retaliate back is latios, and LO latios gets worn down pretty easily

A possible fix to the greninga problem is changing thunderus to zapdos (for defog) and changing latios to kyurem-b or goodra.I haven't tried this out yet, though.

zapdos is a threat to this team because the only thing that can comfortably switch in and retaliate back is latios, and LO latios gets worn down pretty easily
Aegislash, hippo, and latios can switch into zapdos, he can be pretty easily played around especially if he doesnt have substitute. But yeah I guess a spdef zapdos with sub roost, would be pretty hard to deal with. Maybe stone edge on hippo, or just switch hippo for ttar could be a potential answer.
A possible fix to the greninga problem is changing thunderus to zapdos (for defog) and changing latios to kyurem-b or goodra.I haven't tried this out yet, though.
And its never a good idea to change 2 pokes on an otherwise solid team just to handle one poke better. The best way to deal with greninja is just to simply play around him smartly and wear him down with rocks/LO/sand damage, I think this team needs to just accepts its weakness to greninja and learn to play around it with good predictions. Making such drastic changes twill almost always open up more weaknesses than it fixes

I dont agree with your fix to greninja, mainly because I dont think I have ever seen a competent player switch a greninja into a latias unless they were sacking it, or really really predicted the defog. Not only that but the problem this team has with greninja is it has no reliable switch ins, and because 2 of greninjas most common moves hit latias for SE damage, that problem still persists. Not to mention that latias cant reliably OHKO greninja, while it greninja can threaten the OHKO.

Just saying I think that scarfing latias doesnt really solve any problems and just created new ones
I think you have a very good point there.
Well probably it creates some problems but they are perhaps just that latios won´t be very able to hit a little his steel type counters. Greninja won´t be switching on any of latios attacks, it normally switches in just when the foe has a free switch. in emergency cases (for example, you have latios locked into defog and keldeo still alive. -the foe has no idea that you are locked- he will probably go for dark pulse/ice beam/possible u-turn, so you can switch into keldeo and take the hit. if the foe predicts your switch then you´ll have a free turn and you can use latios to ohko him with draco meteor. if the foe can´t predict your switch you can go back to latios in extrasensory and then ohko with draco meteor.
---> Greninja is very used as a lead (if the foe leads with it that could tell you a lot about his moveset), so you lead with lati and ohko with draco meteor , since scarfed latios is not very common and easy to predict...
Perhaps leading with latios could tell an experienced player that you´re scarf (that depends on the level you´re playing it), so your foe just switches out and you save latios for late game...

Last edited:

Valentine

Banned deucer.
Alright I just finished all the set descriptions and threat lists, so this RMT is officially done and ready for archive. If you haven't already, please take the time to 'like' the OP. After going over all of the comments again, and evaluating the metagame, i've decided that this is the best version of the team if you still want to use Zard-Y:

CBB used this version in SPL, and while he lost his game, most games in SPL are very close, and he definitely had the potential to win his match. Bisharp helps with the very real CM Clefable weakness, and Scarf Chomp checks offensive threats like Greninja and opposing Thundurus. These following imports and logs are from CBB, explaining a bit about what Zard-Y is like in the current meta. Thank you all for reading, and I hope you've had a fun time trying out this team.

cbb: physical zard y sucks if you want to use that team use special zard
cbb: over it
cbb: does the same stuff and actually kills gliscor/lando/other mons
cbb: and fblast 2hkos chansey after bisharp pursuit anyway
cbb: both of the teams have
cbb: their advantages
cbb: 1 and 2
cbb: idk which one is better but i have a raging boner for lando-i
cbb: and scarftar is cute
cbb: but it's weak-ish to zard x

import 1:

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Trait: Blaze
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam

Bisharp (F) @ BlackGlasses
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 116 HP / 216 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock

Keldeo (Keldeo-R) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 12 HP / 244 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

import 2:

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Trait: Blaze
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam

Bisharp (F) @ BlackGlasses
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 76 HP / 216 Atk / 216 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Trait: Justified
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Surf

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 204 Atk / 52 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)