Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you, im doing research on it and i believe im gonna go for
Muk
N:Sassy
I:Black Sludge
A:Sticky Hold/Poison touch
M1:Poison Jab
M2:Protect
M3:Shadow Sneak
M4:Toxic
EVs: 252 Hp 252 Sp.Def 4 Atk

i actually think im gonna put this with a physically defensive spiritomb on a trick room team
correct me if i am wrong but i don't think that your muk will fit on a trick room team as due to the turn limit you would want to do as much damage to the opponent as possible with strong attackers instead of stalling with defensive mons (which yous opponent should be trying to do).

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not many people really focus on tiers in-game though, isn't it usually to battle with friends and nothing is wrong with Muk in OU, fair enough there are better options I guess.

correct me if i am wrong but i don't think that your muk will fit on a trick room team as due to the turn limit you would want to do as much damage to the opponent as possible with strong attackers instead of stalling with defensive mons (which yous opponent should be trying to do).
No, you're right here. Muk isn't a very good choice for a Trick Room team, because he's a solidly defensive Pokemon who usually beats enemies by grinding them down through sheer weight.

He's slow, yes, but Trick Room users generally want sheer power, unboosted, above all else, just because of how hazardous it can be to get TR in place and how limited it is in duration.

Muk can easily just get by against an opponent by being too fat to dislodge and stalling people out, grinding them down with decent coverage moves. Nothing wrong with that, just not right for Trick Room.

Much like Snorlax here, in all honesty. I wouldn't bring Snorlax to a team in order to have a powerful Trick Room sweeper. I'd bring Snorlax to a team because AV Lax has a serviceable 105 Base Attack and Pink Blob-tier not-giving-damns-ness about special attacks.

So say I have a pokemon with 31 IV in SAtk and Speed, and I want to EV it fully in those stats. What is the proper number of EVs to put in each stat at level 50 so that I don't waste any EVs?

Last edited:

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So say I have a pokemon with 31 in SAtk and Speed, and I want to EV it fully in those stats. What is the proper number of EVs to put in each stat at level 50 so that I don't waste any EVs?
252 and it doesn't get wasted. It stops automatically when it reaches the maximum it can be trained.

So say I have a pokemon with 31 in SAtk and Speed, and I want to EV it fully in those stats. What is the proper number of EVs to put in each stat at level 50 so that I don't waste any EVs?
The rule for lvl 50 is that IV + ev/4 have to be an even number or you waste evs.

So say I have a pokemon with 31 IV in SAtk and Speed, and I want to EV it fully in those stats. What is the proper number of EVs to put in each stat at level 50 so that I don't waste any EVs?
252 and it doesn't get wasted. It stops automatically when it reaches the maximum it can be trained.
My understanding was that, because the calculations are 8:1 for EVs and 2:1 for IVs at level 50 rather than 4:1 and 1:1 like at level 100, you don't need 252 EVs to max out a stat at Level 50.

EDIT:

The rule for lvl 50 is that IV + ev/4 have to be an even number or you waste evs.
Okay so if it's 31 IV, then 252/4 = 63, 63+31 = 94 which is even so 252 EVs works anyway. Is that right?

You can think of it this way too, IV/2 + ev/8 need to be a whole number. You still need to invest into 252 because they still take the fractions from ivs and Evs and add them up and round down.

The majority of tanks and walls of the metagame requires max HP unless they have ridiculous HP. MAggron is no9t the exception. Give the EVs to HP. It's more, I recommend putting SpD EVs on it.
spd would be useless would it not? i want it to tank phys hits and have a specially defensive mon for special attacks. think skarmbliss.

Darnell

Respected.
spd would be useless would it not? i want it to tank phys hits and have a specially defensive mon for special attacks. think skarmbliss.
It wouldn't be useless. It is like when people run 252 Def on Chansey/Blissey and make it a Bold Nature, I understand what you are getting at how ever.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Aggron's defense is so huge investing in it won't really change anything drastically. Investing in SpD, on the other hand, would.

I don't have access to Knock Off for Conkeldurr. I understand that it's a huge loss, but assuming I still want to use the mon, what should I replace it with? Poison Jab?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't have access to Knock Off for Conkeldurr. I understand that it's a huge loss, but assuming I still want to use the mon, what should I replace it with? Poison Jab?
It's irreplaceable, honestly. Knock Off is the backbone of AV Conk.

Rock Slide or Stone Edge could do, I guess. It all boils down to talonflame switch-ins vs. fairy switch-ins, i dunno if poison jab would do enough against fairies, though.

Darnell

Respected.
Poison Jab is fine as well for the Fairies, I have tried it in some battles but I agree. Knock off is a huge lost.

It's irreplaceable, honestly. Knock Off is the backbone of AV Conk.

Rock Slide or Stone Edge could do, I guess. It all boils down to talonflame switch-ins vs. fairy switch-ins, i dunno if poison jab would do enough against fairies, though.
Sigh. You're probably right. Alright, I guess I'll have to find something to trade someone for a Knock Off Timburr.

where do you guys go to train quickly to level 100? i know there are a few options like elite four, battle chateau, shaking grass audinos, etc... but i just wanted to know what you guys tend to do the most and found the fastest. thanks c:

Sigh. You're probably right. Alright, I guess I'll have to find something to trade someone for a Knock Off Timburr.
You could try to run Payback if you're looking for a Dark-type coverage move, but like others have said, the sheer utility of Knock Off can't be found anywhere else in Conkeldurr's movepool. If you're looking for a Knock of Timburr in game, try looking here. He's a very nice, reasonable trader.

where do you guys go to train quickly to level 100? i know there are a few options like elite four, battle chateau, shaking grass audinos, etc... but i just wanted to know what you guys tend to do the most and found the fastest. thanks c:
Since trying to find shaking grass with Audino isn't an option in X/Y, I like to go to the Restaurant Le Wow and play the Rotation Battles. With Lucky Eggs and Exp O-Power, you'll level up in no time.

I do Rotation Battles at Restaurant Le Wow. There's no reason to train to level 100 though, you only need to get to 50 to participate in wifi battles. There are only a few exceptions for moves that are learned after level 50. (For reference, many moves learned after level 50 now can be taught at the move relearner in X/Y. For example, Volcarona used to learn Fiery Dance at level 100, but now also learns it at level 1. Same with Brave Bird Talonflame.)

This is how I train them:
(1) Level 3 EXP O-Power
(2) Lucky Egg on all pokemon that are being leveled up (you get one during the game in one of the hotels and you can steal them from wild Chansey in Friend Safari)
(3) EXP Share on if you are training more than two pokemon
(4) Front pokemon that does all the work is:
Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite-Y
Timid Nature
252 SpA, 252 Spe
-Aura Sphere
-Psystrike
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
(Mega-X works also with a specially-oriented build, but it's better if you use a physical one.) Mewtwo is caught at level 70 in X/Y, and the pokemon you battle in Le Wow are mid-60s. So without any additional training, the cartridge's Mewtwo is still able to 2HKO everything I think. Regardless, if you do this enough, your Mewtwo will also level to 100 eventually, at which point it can OHKO everything with a neutral coverage move. If you find your level 70 Mewtwo is not quite OHKOing anything, then replace Ice Beam with Calm Mind. Set up one or two CMs and then sweep with neutral moves. (In some of the battles, at least 2 of the 3 pokemon you face share a weakness to one of the moves on this set, while the third is neutral.)

(5) Simply put Mewtwo (Mega-Y) at the front of the party to solo battle the entire restaurant. The next two pokemon get full EXP as if they participated (special mechanic of rotation battles) and all other pokemon will get 50% EXP from the EXP-Share. I also suggest EV-training your pokemon before battling in the restaurant. (The easiest way to EV-train is by using Sweet Scent horde battles with Pokerus. Even without Pokerus, it is faster than Super Training.)

With Lucky Egg + Level 3 O-Power, almost all pokemon (except those that have a high experience requirement) will get to level 49 or 50 by the end of Sweet Scent horde EV-training and one round of the restaurant battles. Max friendship pokemon also get more experience, so that is an option if you plan on raising their friendship anyway. If you have two cartridges (or downloaded copies) you can also trade the pokemon since traded pokemon gain more experience also. But Lucky Egg + L3O-Power is sufficient and likely all that most people will be able to do.

Before I had level 3 O-Power, I never had to do more than two rounds of the restaurant battles though. Each round takes about 10 minutes maybe (?), probably less if you have animations off. It's very quick. (Also note that since all of the battles are fought in succession, the O-Power will not expire until the end of the entire round.) This is also a good place to use Money O-Power if you need money for some reason.

Last edited:
Is there a list somewhere of move you can't have (EG : Knock of Venusaur or the shitload of defog user) on new-breed pokemon in XY ?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Does someone know an approximation on how long it will take until we can see the full x and y tier list ?
As in a tier list for every tier? Probably not for a few more months as there are lower metagames which still need to develop. I believe RU will be starting in the next few weeks and then NU a month or two after that.

As in a tier list for every tier? Probably not for a few more months as there are lower metagames which still need to develop. I believe RU will be starting in the next few weeks and then NU a month or two after that.
So that means they are going to appear one by one ? if so that would be really cool actually, because then i can concentrate on building teams one by one for the tier instead of building teams all around the tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)