CAP 18 CAP 18 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to the Art Submissions thread for CAP 18 - a Fire/Water type! As always, it's very important to read the rules before posting in this thread! Please heed the posting limits (which are slightly different from last time).

Also, note that we've changed our voting procedure and as a result the art thread may not be open for as long as it has been in the past! Keep an eye on the competitive threads to make sure you don't get blindsided by the submission deadline.

-----

This thread is open for final submissions, WIPs, and comments for the design of the CAP 18. Important considerations that will come into play over the course of this thread are base stats and abilities. Please see the process guide for clarification on the timing of these decisions and for the timing of the closure of this thread.

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the Main Design at the top, and supporting material (if applicable) below it.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP PokeDex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • It must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no parts of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • It must not include offensive or obscene imagery.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • It must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed image dimension is 640 pixels and the minimum is 320 pixels. The maximum allowed image filesize is 200 kB.
  • It must be in jpg, png or gif format and must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.

The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Posting Rules

Posting Frequency

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, each poster must adhere to the following posting limits:
  • No more than one post in any single 24 hour span
  • No more than three posts in a 5 day span (120 hours)
Deleted posts (by the poster or by mods) still count toward the limits (except for accidental double-posts if they are immediately deleted). If you wish to add new comments or art within these limits, please edit your most recent post.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full sized image which is no larger than 640 pixels in either dimension with a filesize no larger than 200 kB . Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • Images must be in jpg, png or gif format and must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Out of courtesy to users with lower bandwidth, artists should not post links to images with filesizes exceeding 500 kB. You must include a warning if you do.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • No bumping or begging, especially for feedback. If your design is any good, people will comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design is not very good. Consider the silence to be your feedback.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.

Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted. There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine, just say that.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

----
CAP 18 so far:

Leadership Team:

DetroitLolcat - Topic Leader
PttP - Ability Leader
jas61292 - Typing Leader
ginganinja - Movepool Leader
srk1214 - Stats Leader​

Dummy007 said:
Concept: Major Third

General Description: A Pokemon that forms an effective offensive or defensive core with two lesser-used OU Pokemon.

Justification: Cores have always been an integral part of the metagame, whether you're running Talonflame/Staraptor to brute force everything, Slowbro/Amoonguss/Heatran for Regenerator-Leftovers stalling, or a whole team of Dragons + Magnezone. We've previously explored what it takes to make a successful partnership in CAP11 (Voodoom), but the metagame (and the simulator!) has changed dramatically since Voodoom's creation. I would also like to up the ante a little bit: Instead of just one, can we now take TWO Pokemon and find their missing piece? Whether we opt to build on an established two-Pokemon partnership or choose two previously unrelated Pokemon and put them together, I think that we can certainly find a Voodoom for a more offensive time.

Questions to Be Answered:
  • How do effective cores in the current metagame differ fundamentally from the cores of previous metagames, if at all?
  • Is synergy as important (relative to power) in the current metagame as it previously has been? (That is, has power creep rendered synergy unnecessary?)
  • What differences are there between tailoring a Pokemon to two others and tailoring it to one? What else must be considered besides weaknesses and resistances?
  • How does the addition of a Pokemon to a core change what other Pokemon can be effectively run alongside the core?
  • Does Team Preview make running cores more difficult?
  • Is it possible to create a core uncounterable by a single Pokemon? (For example, Celebi/Heatran/Jellicent was a very effective BW core that got slaughtered by Tyranitar. Can a core force opponents to counter it with another core?)
  • Tagging onto the above, what is required to "counter-core" a core? What combination of offensive and defensive characteristics among "counter-core" members achieves this?
Typing: Fire / Water
Ability: Analytic / ?? / ??
Stats: 100 HP / 45 Atk / 80 Def / 135 SpA / 100 SpD / 95 Spe

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This post is reserved as an index of art submissions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus

This is my current work in progress. Eel + lava flows. Super rough draft, it needs to be cleaned up and more pokemon-y and less realistic, but I want to sound this to see if the concept behind is well recieved. Yes, yes the steamy smoke is illegal, this is more a draft of the concept than anything close to a final design.

Have at ye.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

This is my current work in progress. Eel + lava flows. Super rough draft, it needs to be cleaned up and more pokemon-y and less realistic, but I want to sound this to see if the concept behind is well recieved. Yes, yes the steamy smoke is illegal, this is more a draft of the concept than anything close to a final design.

Have at ye.
Loving the design. It really captures the essence of the fire/water type. The only issue I have is the spikes under the jaw of it because in my opinion, it makes it look to much like a dragon and less like an eel. I think it would be awesome if you added sort of a lava lamp vibe to it. Overall, I could definitely go with this design because it is pretty cool.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Two very rough WIP's of my concepts: Hot Spring Kappa and Flask Homunculus.

Kappas
come from japanese folklore as creatures with features resembling a humanoid/monkey with a beak and a turtle shell. Its most distinguishing feature is the water bowl that is believed to be its source of power. What I like about the Kappa design is that its body structure is flexible for whatever build we do, like being fast (Kappas can have slender bodies that can move fast) while it can also go the bulky route (emphasis to the turtle shell and suggesting Bulletproof).

Homunculi are fictional beings related to alchemy and creation of life, and could represent both fire and water properties, which are fundamental for alchemy and creation. The design I currently have showcases a liquid being inside a flask that's being heated by a stove-like body(as accented by a fiery neck).

Not sure if I'll stick with these designs atm, although I think they are flexible concepts that could adapt to abilities and stats the community chooses. As always, comments, critiques and criticisms are very much appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Strum, the 'culus looks quite adorable, but I prefer the islander kappa. They both look very nice, though. Gawappamon, yeah!

Kadew, your eel's colors look quite beautiful. I REALLY like the purplish tones.

Birkal , your Red Snapper is adorable, and looks ready to adapt to whatever Abilities come into mind of the competitive community, such as Water Veil. I'm not sure about the fire breath, for obvious reasons.

I'll edit this post to give more compliments and critique to other users.

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.

Kappas
come from japanese folklore as creatures with features resembling a humanoid/monkey with a beak and a turtle shell. Its most distinguishing feature is the water bowl that is believed to be its source of power. What I like about the Kappa design is that its body structure is flexible for whatever build we do, like being fast (Kappas can have slender bodies that can move fast) while it can also go the bulky route (emphasis t the turtle shell and suggesting Bulletproof).

Homunculi are fictional beings related to alchemy and creation of life, and could represent both fire and water properties, which are fundamental for alchemy and creation. The current design I currently have showcases a liquid being inside a flask that's being heated by a stove-like body(as accesnted by a fiery neck).

Not sure if I'll stick with these designs atm, although I think they are flexible concepts that could adapt to abilities and stats the community chooses. As always, comments, critiques and criticisms are very much appreciated. :)
Wow, this concept is incredible. :O

I can't wait to see it after coloring and shading!

Can't say as an artist that I'm super happy about Fire/ Water, so this is my first of what will likely be many designs. Fire Kappa was something that hit me when I first saw which way the poll where leaning, but I won't go that way unless I think of some very different way to approach that. This comes from the fact that... well I love snakes, and I think it's a cry and shame that there are so few serpentine Pokemon that can play with the big dogs.

This particular design is based on a two headed snake that I saw in person while living in CA. Hope you guys like it because it gave me hell... so many long lines -.-
EDIT: The Mantis Shrimp Pokemon

This is another design that I'm tooling around with. It's a Mantis Shrimp, the wonderful ocean creature with the ability to punch at sonic speeds boiling the waters around it. These creatures are really colorful, perhaps because of all the life forms on earth, they see the most spectrums of light.

EDIT:

Kadew, also a great design, but we're making a Fire/Water type, not a Water/Fire type. I'm firm believer that type order should matter for something (God damn Fire/Normal and Electric/Normal typing)
Sorry but I think this is a crap argument. In Pokemon the typing is designed alongside the art, in CAP we don't get to have an input before hand. Say what you want but IMO Fire/Water = Water/fire.

I'll also point out on your Rotom point that Rotom was originally Electric/ Ghost, and it wasn't until a later generation of Pokemon that he was re-typed with each Forme.

Edit: Dragonblaze052 I love A. It's about time we had a competitively viable OU Whale Pokemon.

http://imgur.com/W7FsUeU
http://imgur.com/P2ShOvJ

Potential WIP of a Japanese Macaque and a possible color scheme for the fire-platypus

upload_2014-3-24_22-35-35.png

This is my first WIP, Platypire. Water and Fire.....two opposites.....things that shouldn't belong together......a mishmash of sorts. Who represents and understands being a strange mishmash that a Platypus? I have an entire description about him, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post too much info yet (still new to CAP).

Now for some feedback:
Kadew-
I love the idea of the eel/lava flow. I think its very unique, although I fell like it looks more like a Fire/Electric type (that could just be my perception of this draft, however). I do also have to agree with Ununhexium about the chin spines, but overall a very great draft :)

Magistrum-
Whoa....dude....incredible designs. I would love to see both of them make it as the CAP. The kappa has more of a "pokemon" feel to it, but both are amazing. If I had to chose 1, the kappa speaks to me.

@taicho321-
I had a similar idea that i sketched out, but I'm glad you posted yours first because its waaaaaaay sicker. I love the bubble beard soooooo much!!!! and i just noticed your mantis shrimp design and i love it.

Birkal-
This is adorable. It really embodies the Water/Fire typing, and looks like a fire variant of a bulky water type!

macle-
I Like the idea of Flameingo, but i see the issue of it being a bird and not being a flying type. other than that, the idea is great:)

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Topic Leader has the right to change the order around (Fire / Water to Water / Fire) after all of the flavor stages are completed. Please don't make arguments trying to use that logic. The artists are already going to have a hard enough time drawing for this typing as it!

Anyways, went with a Red Snapper design because they look pretty fiery already. I decided to go for something chubby, like with pinch-able cheeks. So, I came up with chubbyfish! This is still highly preliminary, but I'm having a lot of fun with the design already. It can puff itself up to a massive size and blow fire out of is bubbly cheeks. Its gills also reveal the sparking furnace inside of chubbyfish. I'm going to try to add even more weight to it as time goes. Not sold on anything yet, so any feedback is appreciated! I'm not even sure if I'm going to go ahead with chubbyfish; just thought I'd jot something down for now.

Interesting type combo to work with. Some preliminary ideas in my head, I guess things like abilities/stats will help narrow it down-

http://i58.tinypic.com/r8xdh4.png

A. Hypothermal vent crab/hot pot crab fusion-

-Main shell is shaped like a flame. Red/orange colour, like cooked crab :P. Lives near underwater volcanoes, based on real life hypothermal vent crabs. Source of heat comes from inside shell and is basically it's 'blood' and flames/hot water bubbles come out from the hole on the shell near the rear. Markings on top of the shell can glow like a hot plate. Can withstand high pressures and temperatures because of its environment and it can heat up its whole shell armour. Flavour moves in my head include Scald, Eruption and Crabhammer.

Flavour abilities (I know it can end up not being them but just imagining) could be Pressure and Shell Armour. But really it depends on the polls/stats whether I choose this.

B. Lava Plume/Lamp Jellyfish

-Probably the least likely design if stats are very defensive (although special defense could work ala Jellicent). Basically a cutesy amorphous jellyfish that burns you instead of poisoning you. Heat source on main head is like a lava lamp effect and it heats up the water around it. Can trap unfortunate victims by swirling around the foe or using Fire Spin/Whirlpool. Beware if you are caught in a swarm of these- main environment is seas where underwater volcanoes are located. Ends of tentacles have bright red bristles and can burn you if touched. Beautiful to look at but dangerous, and notable moves in for flavour in my head include Lava Plume, Fire Spin, Whirlpool, Acid Armour, Scald, Eruption, Water Spout (just would be a nice duality of opposites).

Flavour abilities could be Limber, Flame Body and Damp. Just like the idea of a Fire type with Damp haha

C. Hot Spring Macaque Monkey aka the Relaxation pokemon :P

-based on those Japanese monkeys you see bathing in hot springs in the snow. Will have red face and contrasting white and red fur. Fur around the neck is meant to emulate towels around people's necks after taking a bath. Fur is always wet and hair on head is meant to be like wet, slicked back hair. Likes to make territories in ponds/lakes and it's body heat then turns it into a personal hot spring. Can produce steam with its fur/the stones on its body (considering putting the stones on its back like those massage spa treatments)

Flavour abilities could be White Smoke, Magma Armour (being frozen doesn't suit it) or Thick Fat (imagine that Ice resistance! haha). Notable moves I could see it using: Scald, Smokescreen, Heat Wave, Bubble Beam, Water Pulse, Rest, Slack Off (I would slack off in a hot spring too :p)

Now for some comments:

Kadew: Love the colours, and agree on what others said about the spikes. Just a random idea- what if the glowing orange glows brighter if it uses a fire attack or something? Or for the lava flow idea, maybe have lava lines like Groudon? This would make it a less realistic and give it another layer.

macle: plus points for the name! Unfortunately it just looks like a generic bird than a flamingo, even just making the legs a lot longer would make it more of a flamingo :D Then give it webbed feet to emphasise water and amybe a longer neck/curved beak

Magistrum: Ah the kappa one is a clever idea, I did thought of a turtle but the kappa concept takes it to another level and still has the shell. It probably has too many jagged edges for me personally and would love to make them a teeny bit sleeker but I do love the whole steam from the arms thing. The flask is also a very original idea, and again love the arms but feel the feet just takes away from the whole proportion of the design.

pkmn-taicho321: love the water side of the design more, love the bubble beard. I guess if I ha to say something I feel it overpowers the other side more, maybe have something that contrasts the finny-neck-frill thing?

SquirtleSquad626: Nice name! Gives off a nice personality but I feel you can

Kappas
come from japanese folklore as creatures with features resembling a humanoid/monkey with a beak and a turtle shell. Its most distinguishing feature is the water bowl that is believed to be its source of power. What I like about the Kappa design is that its body structure is flexible for whatever build we do, like being fast (Kappas can have slender bodies that can move fast) while it can also go the bulky route (emphasis to the turtle shell and suggesting Bulletproof).

Homunculi are fictional beings related to alchemy and creation of life, and could represent both fire and water properties, which are fundamental for alchemy and creation. The design I currently have showcases a liquid being inside a flask that's being heated by a stove-like body(as accented by a fiery neck).

I have to say I'm new to Smogon and this is the first CAP I've watched all the way through, but I had to throw my support behind Magistrum's Kappa design. I really love the design and and as Magistrum said I feel it would allow for us to go a variety of directions with our stat preferences when we get there.

Anyway, it's based on Glaucus Atlanticus, a type of sea-slug. The volcano on it's back drips lava down the fins, which it uses to stab/inject things. The tail is a water container, which it can use to spray or dowse its own fires. The spines on it's head also contain lava, but only small amounts.
EDIT 1: Added new things, including fire-y eyes, gills glowing with lava/water, and more spikes. Because spikes are awesome.
EDIT 2: Following Quanyails' advice, I added more fire veins. They then merge to water veins at the middle of the tail. I also turned the volcano/fins brown.
EDIT 3: Full-on shading/program change! :O

Last edited:
A very rough WIP

Yo CAP! I'll present you... Firemanhelmetfrog

This of course is first version of this, but you can make out what I'm thinking of. It is a frog based on helmet of a fireman. The hose here is its tongue. I have to do more polished version (with something esle, this is made in MS Paint) and also work on the hose as it looks kinda dumb. But I am sticking to this idea at least.

I'll make comments/feedback about other designs tomorrow, when we have more and day has passed from this post since we are doing the restrictions again.

Last edited:
Ok, I thought I would update my post with my current progress :3

I scaled back on the amount of heads for the Tube Worm hydra, as well as giving it a more serpentine body, following Quanyails advice. I also came with a concept page for a Solar Powered Dolphin Pokemon! I feel as though it is a bit to simple however, so as I continue drawing it I wanna add more details :D

Tube Worm Hydra concept:
Ffs, it came out too big >_< here's a link instead: http://m.imgur.com/krndReR

Solar Powered Dolphin concept:

Hopefully these images are the right size, I scaled them down to 600 x 600 and 600 x 400 respectively.

I have an interesting idea for a Kirin Geyser Pokemon, as I want to try to draw some non sea life Pokemon. It might be a bit silky looking though XD

Last edited:
mcFlareon, at first I didn't really understand why you would have a monkey design for a Fire/Water pokemon, but after reading your description, I think that's probably the most interesting submission so far. I like the idea a lot, and I think it's the one you should expand on out of those 3.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
*** Mod post ***
Hi everyone, great work so far :)
A reminder about posting limits! Read the OP for details!
Also, please refrain from posting name suggestions. You should leave naming to the Name thread later. Suggesting names now can unfairly bias the Name Poll and we like to keep all our steps as collaborative and democratic as possible! It's ok to use very general nicknames like Firemanhelmetfrog or Squid-mon ;)
*** End mod post ***

A: Bivalve Torpedo/Submarine. Based on a clam (as well as many other species of bivalves), torpedoes (mainly the Malafon torpedo) and a generic submarine. I intend to later add in some flames and such from the side jets as well as the rear propulsion system. The line across where the face will be is just a placeholder for alignment purposes, not the actual face. I've already gotten comments regarding that. :/
B: Volcanic Island Turtle. Based on the Galapagos tortoise, leatherback sea turtles and alligator snapping turtles with heavy inspiration from volcanic islands and various myths that tell of turtles large enough for their shells to be mistaken for an island. Its shell is actually several overlayed scallop shells with the rear ends of the shells coming together to form the body of the volcano itself. I intend to make the shell a dark blue/purple with the skin a reddish orange. I'm definitely considering having the volcano produce lava to run down the shell in trickling streams.
C: Geyser Genie. This one is inspired by my memories of seeing Old Faithful erupt in person at Yosemite. I remember the event vividly and all, but I'm not really sure what direction to take with this design, which is why it's barely even started and looks incredibly basic. Still, I'd like to toy around with the idea if I find some inspiration on how to expand upon it.
D: Pistol Shrimp Outlaw. Based on the pistol shrimp as well as the stereotypical wild west outlaw, with a bit of anatomical inspiration from centaurs. It's still just a very rough idea and I will definitely redo the entire bottom half if I choose to go forward with this one. Pistol shrimps can snap their claws together so quickly with such force that it makes a directed explosion of boiling water it uses as a weapon and the noise it produces is loud enough to disrupt the sonar of ships in the area. I plan to make its claws transparent with a boiling red and blue liquid inside, the source of its attacks.

I'm really unsure of where to go from here and what to focus on and I do have a few other designs, so I thank everybody ahead of time for any critique or suggestions I receive. :)

Kappas

I don't usually do this kind of thing, but I just wanted to say how much I like those concepts, to me these are some of the best concepts I've seen so far. I think that a homunculus is an ingenious idea for this typing as well

I've been waiting for a Water type CAP. It's my favorite type and I love sea life, so I'm excited for this one. Fire kind of threw a wrench into it though, as it was definitely more difficult to come up with something that wasn't.... Lame through its attempts at awesomeness. All that said, I present the first draft of my ferry fish. It's based on Charon from Greek mythology. He's the ferryman that carries the dead across the river Styx on his boat... Except in my design, the fish is the boat. It's sort of like one of those swan boats with the pedals that couples ride in cheesy movies, but... Macabre. In my mind, this fish floats on the surface of a foggy lake in the dark of night, holding its lantern out in front to light the way. It floats lazily about, attracting insects and wandering ghosts to its lantern and ignoring them as it drifts about its merry way. It can retract the bony appendage holding the lantern when it goes underwater to protect the flame.

Edit: I started a second design based on an idea that kind of made me chuckle. I wondered what a fish would be like if it was a mad scientist, but still had the same intelligence level of an ordinary fish... Then I thought of betta fish who are known for their bad tempers and came up with the steaming mad-idiot-scientist-betta-fish. Imagine, if you would, this fish doing an experiment, wearing his little goggles... He wonders to himself "What would happen if I picked that pebble up with my mouth and placed it... hmmmm... But of course! On top of the other pebble!" then is positively astounded that instead of two separate pebbles, he now has a pair of pebbles! He has a constant, burning furnace of betta rage stored in his belly and must relieve the pressure by releasing steam through the vents on his head at all times.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z347/Harle23/fish_zps24f79236.png

Mod Edit: Included image exceeds file size limit and has been changed to a link.

Some feedback:

Magistrum : While I like the Kappa design slightly better, the Homonculus idea is fantastic. Something innovative must be done with the color scheme or perhaps some slight redesigning as I wish the design was as unique as the concept. The Kappa has a great face and could pass as complete already.

pkmn-taicho321 : This isn't the most original concept, so you have to push the design quality over the top to really make it succeed. Two positives: I really enjoy the glimmering quality of the scales on the fiery side (reminds me of a goldfish) and the bubbles of the water side. I think bubbles are an unexpected choice.

mcFlareon : These are all good ideas... I'm interested in seeing all three of them more developed, actually. I would try to distinguish the crab's design more from Clauncher/Clawitzer as they look a little similar, and if it does get colored, make sure that jellyfish gets a paintjob that really enhances the concept. Colors will go a long way for that design, I think.

Flummoxen : I spend too much time on the internet to not see something else entirely when I look at this design... But I like it and it's a fantastic concept. Rocket squid is a clever idea.

I also loved the teapot elephant, that's a great idea.

Some awesome art in here, this is one of my favourite parts of the CAP! If I could offer some general advice to all submitters, perhaps trying to avoid the mandatory "sea-creature" image would make for a more interesting 'mon? Apologies if my post sounds rude, just my thoughts on the matter! Keep up the awesome artwork!
I would like to add to this post that came after mine. Is it the most obvious route when making a Water type to make some kind of sea creature? Perhaps, though I think this may not be true due to the addition of Fire. Regardless, if we look at two recent CAP projects, we see that when choosing a Bug type design, we chose a moth of all things (the most overused creature in all of Pokemon) and when choosing a Flying type, we chose a bird. I would say it makes no difference whether the design inspiration is an obvious one as long as the design itself is the best. Or, as it may turn out to be, the most popular. I'd like to point out Blue Frog's design as one that is both a sea creature and completely unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)