doubles spl set mega(bus)dump thread

stolen from others idgf
now that spl is over we can all reveal our sets :)!!!

descriptions are cool

Chandelure @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 28 SAtk / 252 HP / 188 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
this set was pretty fun to use in a battle vs someone who i forgot idk, i just remember it will o wisping a lot of stuff and tanking it up. Also game some good coverage to use with some stuff like Azumarill

MEGABUS (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 36 SDef / 32 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect
The god set that carried me. Random evs idk, jolly 252 speed outspeeds some stuff like 0 speed rotom but i doubt people use that.

(Medicham) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd | 252 Atk / 96 Spd / 140 HP / 20 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch
This set is strong as hell, ohkos a lot of intimidaters and overall just has good coverage. yes that 2nd spread survives modest char-y heat wave in the sun.

(Shaymin-Sky) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 56 HP / 200 Spd
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Protect
the god himself, outspeeds scarf timid heatran with that speed or something. HP Ice was used over earth power once i think to hit lando-t.

Chesnaught @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer
- Brick Break
- Shadow Claw
lol

(Sylveon) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Baby-Doll Eyes
- Protect
oh god

(Aromatisse) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 16 SAtk / 252 HP / 152 Def / 88 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Heal Pulse
- Rain Dance
please

Last edited by a moderator:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i appreciate you bringing a shitty joke team to my first ever important battle on smogon, the nerves almost made me choke on my own vomit but the massive team advantage helped alleviate that =)

I am curious about the Chandelure, though. What made you decide to use Chandelure as a bulky tank instead of more...traditional bulky tank fire types like Heatran, Rotom-H? Was it just because ghost typing let it beast mode vs megad kangaskhans?

Secondly, why 96 Spe on Medicham? Is it just what was left or does it hit a benchmark

edit: lol nice ivs on the medicham i just noticed those

chandy just seemed cool, there was probably more reason. I wouldn't use heatran as a will o wisper anyways. The 96 speed on medicham is there because that was how many evs i had left after i used the bare minimum evs to live the zard-y heatwaves, it coincidentally outspeeds timid gardevoir and things of that speed.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Bro Fist (Ludicolo) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

The assault vest ludicolo is here. It outspeeds everything in rain and is very bulky thanks to av (all ludicolo should be named brofist because he's a border hopper)

Genesect @ Douse Drive
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Techno Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Protect

This set was one I came up specifically to play Laga with, at this point he was still on his "I love heatran and use it on every team" kick. Techno Blast got a power boost this gen and has the same bp as hidden power ground would vs Heatran. The only problem I had with running hp ground was the fact Laga would use either skill swap or shuca berry. He did actually end up using shuca berry and I would of lost if i had hp ground.

Those are my 2 favorite sets from this spl, both clutched a match for me at one point or another. I had a lot more sets I wanted to use but didn't get around to it since i only played 4 weeks. If you guys want to see them i'll be happy to share

Posting my teams (and sets) because BLINGAS would do terrible things to me if I didn't.

I mostly used a bunch of standard things (Togekiss, Kangaskhan, Terravile ...wait no) but will comment on some of the unorthodox highlights. I came in halfway through SPL, so if you're wondering why weeks 1-4 are missing, that'd be why.

Week 5 vs Braverius

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 HP / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Protect

An unusual Mega-Kangaskhan with the goal of sweeping under Tailwind conditions. I won't comment much on this since I already said all there is to be said in my effective cores post.

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 56 Spd / 108 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Why Garchomp? Honestly I was unreasonably concerned that Braverius would use CharYZard + Venusaur, which this team has big trouble with if Chandelure gets put to sleep. Lum Garchomp was basically there to stop that particular combo. In retrospect, Choice Scarf Landorus-T would have been a much better choice for this slot.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 72 SAtk / 120 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Light Screen

Chandelure @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 56 Spd / 216 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Protect

Chandelure has got to be one of my favorite Substitute users, since it can set up on Sun teams, non-Crunch Mega-Kangaskhan, Mega-Mawile, and a lot of other things. Really this is pretty standard for Substitute Chandelure, though a lot of players opt for speed over bulk. I wasn't really concerned with that given I had Tailwind support and the illusion of Fake Out support on my team, which meant I could usually get a Substitute up pretty easily and use it to guard Chandelure from faster attacks.

Week 6 vs BLINGAS

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Phantom Force
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

While this Gourgeist-S is nothing out of the ordinary (the set is shamelessly stolen from Braverius), I will comment on Gourgeist-S as a pokemon, because I think a lot of Doubles players underrate it.

Too often I hear "doesn't Trevenant outclass it?", when this isn't true at all. Gourgeist-S is great for scouting items thanks to Frisk, and packs excellent 85 / 122 / 75 defenses. Additionally, due to its naturally high Defense, Gourgeist-S can invest heavily into SpD, giving it far higher overall bulk than Trevenant could ever hope to achieve. This is the key aspect that makes Gourgeist-S so useful, as many physical threats (even Landorus-T if it packs Knock Off) can easily force Trevenant out, while Gourgeist-S can endure all but the strongest STAB Super-Effective attacks (Talonflame Brave Bird, Bisharp Knock Off, etc) on the physical side of the spectrum. I have come to prefer Gourgeist-S over Trevenant in almost any situation, simply because of the fact that Gourgeist-S has more staying power, which makes setting Trick Room or spamming Will-O-Wisp (or both) far more effective than doing those things with Trevenant.

So the general idea from that long and bland paragraph is that Gourgeist-S is NOT outclassed by Trevenant, and if anything Gourgeist-S is the pokemon that is doing the outclassing.

Rotom-Heat @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 SAtk / 252 HP / 8 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Electroweb

This team had some serious issues with Skymin, so Assault Vest was chosen to wall Shaymin-S in and out while proceeding to slow it down or outright OHKO it. I would definitely say Sitrus Berry is usually a better item choice, though in the game Assault Vest was clutch in allowing Rotom to survive Psycho Boost.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 204 SAtk / 52 HP
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Substitute
- Protect

This is really just one of those sets that I used for the sake of trying it out. The general idea is that Keldeo forces common threats (Kangashkan, Bisharp, Landorus-T, Heatran) to either Protect or switch out, and Substitute fills the typical role of capitalizing on those free turns. 'Nuff said.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 200 Spd / 252 SAtk / 56 HP
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

Probably the most unusual choice, and one that has gained some mild criticism. Why I used Hydreigon over the typical Latios is simple and shouldn't be so confusing: I wanted something that could effectively switch in to and handle Ghost-types on the team. Things like Chandelure, Aegislash, Gengar-Mega, and so on are big threats to Gourgeist-S, and if I can remove them (and other threats to Gourgeist of course), Gourgeist-S can all too often win the game on its own. Hydreigon filled this role very nicely, and also hits harder than Latios with its Modest Nature. Earth Power was great for removing Heatran, another big threat to Gourgeist-S.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 76 SDef / 180 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

EVs live a LO Modest Skymin Earth Power, which was just an extra safe investment to make sure my healthy Mawile-Mega could beat Skymin one-on-one.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Protect

Week 7 vs yungjake93

I technically deleted this team shortly after using it, so just note some of the spreads may be off a bit (recreated it for this post but my memory isn't perfect).

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 184 Spd / 72 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Tailwind
- Protect

Zapdos was built to outspeed Landorus-T w/o Choice Scarf when Tailwind wasn't up and KO with Hidden Power Ice. Apart from that this set is completely standard, so moving on.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 216 Spd / 40 HP
Adamant Nature
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Protect

The highlight of the team, Mega Heracross! I had tried Mega Heracross w/ Tailwind various times in the past, but it had never worked because of how reliant Heracross was on Tailwind getting up. There are two reasons (imo) that this team actually worked out pretty well. Firstly, rather than the typical bulky Heracross I had been trying out, I ran a very speedy EV spread, built to beat max speed Adamant Bisharp when Tailwind wasn't up. Secondly was the use of two Tailwind setters, which I will get to later.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 224 Spd / 252 Atk / 32 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Spd / 240 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

The second Tailwind setter, and a very bulky one at that. In practice with previous Tailwind teams I had opted to only use one Tailwind setter and Pokemon that generally worked in and out of Tailwind conditions. However, I found that even if the Pokemon worked ok outside of Tailwind, once it ran out I was extremely vulnerable, and a couple of unfortunate Rock Slide flinches (among other things) could easily tear the team apart. Putting a second Tailwind setter on the team kept my options variable and made the team less predictable, which was very important. Of course this dedicated build meant Trick Room teams can typical run all over me, which is why I have Bisharp, Heracross, AND Chandelure on one team (no, it wasn't to mess with youngjake's prized CM Cresselia; I didn't know I'd be playing him instead of Audiosurfer until 5 minutes before our match :s), as the trio can typically beat almost any Trick Room setter you are likely to run into.

Chandelure @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Def / 12 SDef
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Protect

Week 8 vs Biosci

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Protect

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 SAtk / 240 HP / 8 SDef / 8 Def
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

The only Heatran I used in all my SPL teams. Take this as an example of how overused Heatran is on the ladder and other places. Aka stop slapping it on random teams, even if I do that all the time. x_x

Also Shuca Berry > Leftovers. That is all.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 212 SDef / 252 HP / 44 Atk
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Trick Room

A decision I came to regret a lot. Trevenant was supposed to get Trick Room up for Sylveon, but it never got the chance because of a combination of low defense and me using Will-O-Wisp instead of Trick Room for some reason (lolI'mdum). Gourgeist-S would have been better here, but I didn't want to look like I was copying Biosci's GourgeTran core when playing Biosci.

Lesson of the day:
Don't be me; don't worry about pointless things like how similar your team looks to someone else's. I mean seriously, that's just ridiculous.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SDef / 64 Def / 72 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 184 Spd / 252 Atk / 72 HP
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 212 SAtk / 148 HP / 148 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 3 Spd / 3 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Calm Mind Sylveon is awesome. It does have problems w/ physical attackers though, which is why I ran Intimidate and two Will-O-Wisp spammers on the team (overkill ftw). The bulk allows Sylveon to endure a Return from Adamant Mega-Kangaskhan, so this particular set isn't as frail physically as you would expect it to be.

As a last note, I got the idea for this team after playing Braverius in Doubles Battle of the Week (in the actual horribly messy games), when he used CM Florges in our matches. So shoutouts to Braverius for giving me an idea for a team that has become one of my personal favorites. :)

Week Mess Around vs Laga

This wasn't a very serious team if that wasn't obvious (aka no I'm not going to post it). I was originally going to use a more serious team with Liepard + Gengar-Mega, but then the Raiders decided to have everyone use Helix Fossil Pokemon for the final week, so I took my Ludicolo rain team and made some adjustments. I will note that Kyurem-B was a great asset throughout the match. GG Laga!

Also shoutouts to Arcticblast for the Kyurem-Black set, it's awesome and everyone should use it. :)

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Protect

I first used this against kom just because why the fuck not (I try everything with sub why not MMawile), and it turned out to be the perfect sub user; steel / fairy takes on a lot of physical attackers + mega gardevoir very well, and the fact that you become effective immune to /constant/ intimidate spam (aka switching from lando to gyara to lando to gyara) makes you a huge threat behind a sub. A Substitute is surprisingly easy to set up, especially since Amoonguss is a very popular way of taking on Mawile (lol not anymore bitch), and Mawile can now set up on the Rage Powder / Spore turn. Oh and Sub also helps with making sucker punch reliable.

Also I won against asurf because of his team relying on shroom to take MMawile on so it's good *-*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)