The New UU (Peaked #2)

So far I've had a lot of fun playing in the new UU metagame, its cool being a part of it from the start​
and seeing it evolve and advance. I made this team out of a combination of some of my favorite sets from last gen and then some of the new additions to the tier. When I first made my main account I had no intention of laddering with it, I just wanted to use it to test teams and have fun. It came as a nice surprise last night when I played Psychotic (during his run to #1 in the ladder) and checked the rankings to see where he was at after our game only to find that I was currently #3 on the ladder. Earlier today I managed to get all the way up to #2, the highest I've ever gotten. I feel like the whole ranking system must be a little odd though, considering I have a pretty bad win/loss ratio... Regardless I thought I might as well share this team, mostly because I like making RMT's. I'd love to hear any input or advice you guys have got, thanks!

The Team:
Porygon-Z
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SAtk / 124 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
  • Tri Attack
  • Shadow Ball
  • Nasty Plot
  • Agility
This is by far my favorite, and most underestimated, member of the team. I first learned about it pretty late into Gen V UU but it quickly became one of my favorite set up sweepers in that tier as well. Thanks to Adaptability even an unboosted Tri Attack is very strong thanks to PZ's base 135 SAtk and once it gets a Nasty Plot it can 2HKO pretty much anything.
+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 208-246 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 238-280 (60.4 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Aggron: 180-212 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Rhyperior: 222-262 (51.1 - 60.3%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Agility makes this set even more versatile, as you can opt to just increase your speed and turn PZ into an excellent cleaner. I gave it just enough Spd EVs to beat base 100 Scarf users but if Scarf Mienshao starts making a bigger comeback I'll probably have to change it. Lum Berry is a very interesting part of the set, it makes it much easier to set up on walls and also gives good assurance against random hax stopping PZ's sweep. I think this set alone makes Porygon-Z very viable in the current metagame.

Victini
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
  • V-create
  • Zen Headbutt
  • Bolt Strike
  • U-turn
Another reliable Gen V pokemon, Banded Victini is a powerhouse thanks to V-Create. Victini is just an all around great pokemon with some nice resistances, good bulk, and good speed. Pretty much all I use it for it nuking things with V-Create and U-Turning out, but Bolt Strike can be really useful in heavily damaging bulky Water types. Victini also makes a nice U-Turn duo with Flygon, as both of them are really useful in grabbing the team momentum. I often like to lead with this guy as it lets me get some early and heavy damage on the opposing team or just U-Turn out into something that puts me in a more advantageous position.

Starmie
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature

• Scald
  • Thunderbolt
  • Ice Beam
  • Rapid Spin
Rapid spinning sure has increased in usefulness this gen thanks to Starmie and Mega-Blastoise. I thought Starmie over Blastoise would fit this team better however thanks to it's high speed and extra typing. I feel like Scald + BoltBeam is my best bet for coverage but if someone has a better alternative I'd gladly try it out. Starmie is just an all around great addition to the tier, I feel like it fit in perfectly and has really helped balance out entry hazard effectiveness. Having two Stealth Rock weak team members also makes Starmie's job pretty important.

Flygon

Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
  • Outrage
  • Earthquake
  • Dragon Claw
  • U-Turn
With the majority of the Dragons in the tier banned to BL Flygon has a lot more viability. I do think it's role as a Scarfer is still really good regardless thanks to it's typing, ability, and access to U-Turn. Flygon is a great and reliable scout, having two nice immunities and generally not caring about entry hazards. I'm not too sure if Dragon Claw is worth it or not, I just figured Florges' prescence in the tier makes Outrage a little less safe to use. I guess something like Stone Edge or Fire Punch could replace it but I dunno really.

Mega-Aggron
Item: Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
  • Heavy Slam
  • Earthquake
  • Stealth Rock
  • Roar
Mega-Aggron is definitely one of if not the best tank in the tier. Its pretty much impossible to OHKO on the physical end and it can tank special attacks quite nicely. I think its sort of like the Rhyperior of this Gen, it has 3 excellent stats (HP, Atk, & Def) so all you really need to invest in is HP and SDef for it to be effective. Heavy Slam is both a blessing and a curse, it can do massive amounts of damage to some things but very little to others. But being able to straight up OHKO light things makes me feel like its too good to pass up. Stealth Rock and Roar are the best support moves for MAggron, I'm not a huge fan of Dragon Tail really and being able to phaze out Sub users is really nice.

Honchkrow

Item: Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
  • Brave Bird
  • Sucker Punch
  • Superpower
  • Pursuit
Honchkrow has become an even bigger threat this gen that it was last gen, and I already thought it was an excellent sweeper in Gen V. The buff Dark type got this gen definitely helped out my favorite pokemon, as now even less things are safe from Sucker Punch. Flying type is great as always, with Brave Bird being able to heavily dent anything that doesn't resist it. Pursuit makes nice mindgames with Sucker Punch, and it can be really useful in setting up sweeps. Having a good priority attack to stop sweeps is also very useful, even if Honchkrow doesn't pull off a complete sweep its almost guarenteed he'll contribute to almost any match.

Thanks for reading!
Porygon-Z @ Lum Berry
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SAtk / 124 Spd
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Agility

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Zen Headbutt
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- U-turn

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Saw this team on the BT session. It's effective as hell, but sixth gen offense, what ya gonna do.

However, you are running some nice defensive synergy as well as offense, so that if you're forced to switch out, like from a Tornadus-T knock off on Victini or Starmie, you've got Aggron to pretty much tank that with no problem.

Just be careful with bring Aggron into Tornadus-T in particular, as the AV set runs Superpower. If that was you playing in the Blame Truth session, I saw the Aggron coming and in that position, would have Superpower'd it for the 4x damage and forced you to either sac it or switch out, and let me get initiative with U-turn.

Mikela

Banned deucer.
I saw this team in a video of BT. You didn't even say GG >:|
But besides that, people are over using this team lol. I don't see how Pokemon is fun if you don't use your own build team.
That's just my opinion on it.
Anyways, I think it's a good team. I like the PZ set. n_n

Yea I didn't actually know about that match getting uploaded by a youtuber until someone linked me the video, kinda cool to see that on youtube.

And what? People are overusing this team? Damn I've never had people use one of my teams before....

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Solid team. Looks like Mega Absol runs through your team once Aggron is out of the way though, so beware. Other than that, pretty nice.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The main problem with this team is that you're far too reliant on Mega Aggron to tank hits for you. Meaning, any attacker that can get past it (Fire-types, Fighting-types, Water-types, etc) are gonna give you some serious problems. I think the best way to play around this is to use Crocune over Starmie, since its much greater bulk allows it to make better use out of its resistances and give you a decent switch-in to the likes of Chandelure, Mega Houndoom, Mega Blastoise, etc. Also, thanks to Rest it can still function as a status absorber similar to Starmie, and provides you a more reliable wincon if PZ dies.

Of course, the loss of Starmie means that you have no hazard control, and you're still pretty weak to Fighting-types. You might want to consider Crobat over Honchkrow since it can provide a much-needed Fighting-resist and Defog support, as well as still providing Flying-type offense (albeit weaker). Its higher Speed can also somewhat make up for the loss of Sucker Punch.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 176 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- U-turn / Super Fang
- Roost

Yeah, this team is really solid, but again is super reliant on Aggron for some bulk. Coming from a 5th gen uu battler, this team seems super weak to scarf meinshao. It just molests your entire team with hjk, u-turn, and se. It's also faster than everything and resists priority. I think a good check/counter would be a ghost type. In particular I think nasty plot trick room cofagrigus would be an excellent sub for porygon z. While it may lack in power, it makes up for in defence. Regardless, great team <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)