CAP 18 CAP 18 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Done for now! I've decided to stick to my Sea Angel as it seemed to gather way more attention than the other two.

I'd prefer to show the flavour in forms of pictures, but the main reason why I'm making her pouty is because she's fed up about how silly the Luke/Latias duo is and has to be the angry coach that sorts out the both of them properly.

EDIT 28/3: Major Changes, simplified silhouette and modified her designs slightly

EDIT 31/3: Cleaned up all edges and modified her colours, slightly modified lower fins

EDIT 11/4: Slightly modified the design (slimmer, more wavy lower fins) and cleaned it up again I guess

EDIT 14/4: Modified the ear flames

Last edited:
Yilx: lol, knew you were going to draw the cute one.

Many of these are really great, I stand little chance. But I'm going to try anyway, because I have been looking for a good excuse to draw. My concept just needs to stand out...

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

WIP colour, will update when I feel not-sick
Is that supposed to be based off of an undine? Anyways, I like it a lot. Also, I'm loving magstrium, kadew, and Birkal's design. I hope the good posts can keep up because they're all awesome.

I haven't been near this site in ages and there's so many great ideas here already, but it can't hurt to contribute something for once. Just a bit of a concept I plan on refining later, depending on feedback. I hope I did this right.

He's based off a Shachihoko, a tiger-headed carp from Japanese myth believed to summon rainfall. Ornaments in their image were placed on rooftops of buildings to protect them from fire. He's also loosely based off a Merlion and Poseidon for ease of design and flowy fire hair. I designed him with a balanced stat spread in mind, almost like a starter, though I can adjust design quite easily based on how stats lean.

Mod Edit: OP size rules

Edit: Should be good now~!

I wanted to do something with Jellyfish and this is what I came up with. On the left you have the Air Balloon Jellyfish pokemon. Someone did the teapot angle, but I thought I would try something that screamed "sea creature"! Not sure if I like it.

Dracoyoshi8 MUCH better. Great direction, I love it.

Gun6 Possibly my favorite design in here.

Mos-Quitoxe I like it, but it suffers from being over-designed. So many fluffs, puffs, twirls, and tufts that it feels a little busy. I love the idea though, and maybe you can play around with the color scheme so it doesn't fall into the "Water is Blue; Fire is Red" trap.

Last edited:
Sorry for previous post.... my I pasted a wrong link

Basically it's jet fish (+shrimp?).
It would fit if the CAP will be fast attacker.....(I hope).....
If the picture isnt clear, it has a hole in front (like jet engine), which can be used to boost him, as well as spew fire in front.

(sorry if my english is terrible)

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus

Originally a creature of great chaos and strife, this Pokemon was blessed at birth with tremendous but imbalanced strength. On one hand, it possessed an infernal flame, capable of scorching sand to glass and burning down forests on a whim. On the other hand, water pulsed through its body, erupting in colossal torrents, washing away towns and eroding mountains. Both these forces tried to outdo each other, resulting in a greater conflagration or a greater deluge than the last, making the land it inhabited barren with ash and mud. Tired of being surrounded by relentless destruction, the Pokemon sought to calm its inner power. Through pure willpower, meditation and patience, it quelled its two raging forces and forced them into glorious, contradictory harmony. Serenity washed over it, bringing with it a divine wisdom beyond the comprehension of man. Now it speaks without voice, breathes without breath and sees without sight. With new found peace and insight, it goes to the places it had destroyed. Casting warmth and light upon the land, it waters fields that lie fallow, causing new life to burst from the fresh loam. To its allies, it provides benevolent support, protecting them from what harms them most. To those that stand against it, the peace within is broken and the power quelled surges forth once more, to burn their body and wash away their remains.

First draft, will fix eyebrows, etc

redesigned

Last edited:

Here's some stuff I've been sitting on for a day or two. The first started out as a jellyfish, then sorta turned into a hot air balloon, and then ended up looking like a bubble. All the tentacles are supposed to be flames, so it's not like it's got a crab claw. It's still got a bit of the bioluminescence from when it was just a deep sea jellyfish.

I know we've got a number of elephant designs bumping around in here, so here's my take on that. I felt like the easy route to go would be a hose for the trunk, so I figured I'd make the trunk something like a bunsen burner/flamethrower, and have high pressure hose nozzles on the tusks instead. There's really not much going on past the head though, so I'd have to work on that. Made the tail one of those bubble wands to at least try and spice it up a bit.

Hoping to edit this post later on with reactions to some of the works. A ton of amazing stuff happening in here, and sorry about thinking we were stuck specifically in fire/water. Makes designing a bit easier.

More compliments on the way right now:

Arkeis , the idea of an Indian elephant resembling a boiling teapot is genius!

Yilx , I really like how you draw those Poke-monster girls of yours, and this is no exception. But Necturna exists; she also happens to be a Cute Monster Girl, just like your clione.

Knirp , I happen to enjoy that clownfish's presence. I'd like to see what more you can do with it!

Also, I'd like to see what colors Magistrum wants to use on the Hot Spring Kappa.

http://i.imgur.com/zrgvcMJ.png?1

Mod Edit: Read the file size rules listed in the OP

Ok, so I doodled a lot trying to get something I liked and changed my design a bajillion times. You can see me trying out stuff there on the sketch. I tried to go for something non-marine and keep with my original concept (energy beings trapped on jar) but ended up making the jar itself into a pokemon. It doesn't look too fiery or watery atm, more like a Steel/Ghost, but it's missing the coloring and add on effects. I do like it a lot more than my first sketch and previous ideas.

Now to make a clean version and color it... oh joy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Several people suggested that I focus on the Volcanic Island Turtle, so I've edited it a bit, cleaned it up and added some basic coloring. I PROMISE IT WILL LOOK MORE FIRE TYPE LATER! But yeah, I'm pretty happy about how it's turning out. As far as the changes since the initial sketch, I have added a third pair of fins, made the fins more whale like, actually added a face and I made the volcano's opening a solid piece instead of being segmented. I'd love to get some feedback on anything you guys would like to see done with the design and again, thank you in advance to anybody that comments on this. <3

As far as my favorite designs so far, I really like miririri's, Gun6's, Kadew's and a few others, but there's too many to really name. XD
I'd also like to commend User of Shadows on how truly amazing her design has become since it was first posted!
Yilx, your little tsundere sea angel is adorable and I love it, but I think the pose and such should be more open.
Your design is really coming along well, Precipice. With that mouth positioning, I half expect to see flames rolling aside from its maw like Mega Charizard X.
Kyukon, your design shows a lot of potential, but it seems almost too angular to be a Water type. Maybe add a bit of fluidity to the design? Also, I'm glad you're drawing more again.

Last edited:
I found some more time today, so I present:

Clown fish 2.0

It's still a WIP, so I'll clean up the lines and shadows later. I still need to improve the fins with nicer patterns and other details, but for now I just wanted to put out this silly 'mon;)

I will add some comments later today/tomorrow. I like quite a few of the other designs and enjoy seeing all the twists that are given to this somewhat awkward typing!

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Here are some rough sketches of a few ideas I had in mind.

The first one is based on an axolotl, and is actually a remake of one of my previous entries.
The tortoise-like creature on the right was inspired by hydrothermal vents and underwater volcanos.
Last one is a chinese dragon with some elements of a seahorse.

Last edited:
Some WIPs for CAP 18, didn't have much time to work on them today and only just got to uploading them. Sorry if the image quality is poor, my scanner is subpar.

http://imgur.com/a/oWQ9N

Anyway, the first one is based off of a Capybara, which loves swimming and is known to frequent hot springs. This one however carries a sauna around on its back and is very particular about only adding the best stones it can find to it.

The second picture is a ray-finned octopus with a translucent head where water boils, when he gets angry or needs to defend himself he can open the lid at the top and scald people. The jets on his face are connected to his head, and can let steam out.

So... Been playing around with the Mantis Shrimp design and things, and as of now, I got nothing. However, I would like to give some criticisms and such, apart from what's included in my first post, so I'ma try and reserve all personal criticisms to this post in particular. Here we go.

Dracoyoshi8- Everything you've posted so far looks great, however, I personally am quite fond of the design of Marine Iguana. (*snicker*) Jokes aside, what's there so far looks good, and in some ways to me, kind of Salamance-ey, which works for this concept I think. The only real thing I can suggest is to make certain that with all the head-rocks that this thing has, that the end design doesn't end up too much resembling a Rock type, more so than a Fire type. If you even decide to continue that concept further, that is. The peaceful dragon looks just as nice.

Flummoxen- This is great. I love this kind of idea, regarding animals crossing with inanimate objects and such, (likely why our teapot-elephant god works so well, as well) and feel as if you have a lot of places you could go with this concept. One suggestion, that I think would help a lot however, is to color the red tip of the missile, blue. I believe that this would more so emphasize the squid-iness/water-type-inspiration of this design, rather than leading the average viewer to believe that this concept is part steel-type. Still though, you have my support.

Arkeis- I am legitimately contemplating making a Facebook fan-page under the title of "Teapot Elephant Master Race". Need I say more? (If I do, and that sounds even weirder than it does in this head of mine, than I am basically trying to say that your design is of uttermost superiority, and cannot be topped in any rank of greatness ever. Basically, 'S amazing.)

Dragonblaze052- Dood. The way that it seems like you're taking the 'B' design to the next level looks great so far, but seriously. Please, flesh out the Geyser Genie (C) design. It will work, I promise you, and if it doesn't, I will buy it off you. But yeah, so, the turtle looks great so far, but please, just, the Geyser Genie man. Very original.

Gun6- So, in all honesty, this design is probably my favorite so far (other than maybe our teapot-elephant lord and savior). Not only does this concept sync almost flawlessly with this typing, but the aesthetic aspects of design are really well done. I am kind of sad to see that it seems as if you've dropped the thermometer tail, though I guess that that could have been a necessary improvement. Also, if you want my two cents on the coloration of the boiler, I actually suggest 'B', rather than 'C' or 'D'. While I personally believe that 'D' does look the nicest as a color, in respect to the blue and red of the cat, the sample shown in 'D' is rather vibrant, and looks as if it could go better with a shiny version of this design. 'B' on the other hand, has the next nicest color, (in my opinion) yet still feels subtle enough so as of to not intrude upon the other colors in this design. So, yeah. I suggest 'B'. But more importantly, your design is great, and you should feel great.

(Everything from here down, was Edited in at a later time, just for clarification.)

paintseagull- I have to say, there are a lot of people going the sea creature route this time around with this CAP, which kind of makes me wonder why no-one else has dabbled into sea star territory other than yourself. Regardless, the design itself looks great, and the colors synergize well. By the by, if you do happen to capture the ball of plasma that is our star, into this design, you have my vote, hands down. Looks great so far. :)

Mos-Quitoxe- So, I said earlier that Gun6 and Arkeis's designs were my current favorites, and this is probably still true, but by god, this is right up there. Like, dude! The amount of thought that I imagine must have gone into this design, man. Not only is this creative-licensing gold in and of itself, but this concept being the glue that holds Latias and Lucario together, just seems so... fitting! This is legitimately inspiring friend, and if you plan on taking this anywhere else per chance, I will be giddily waiting to see what you have in store.

D4rk3r (& ilovekirby, 'cause they're pretty similar)- I... hmn... I like the concept. I'ma start with D4rk3r when discussing this, as I believe you were first, plus in all honesty, I prefer this to the second of the two (not to say the ilovekirby's is bad, I'll get to that in a minute). I feel like there's a lot of ways that the concept of a Fire/Water 'mon can be spun, with some takes on the concept going the route I personally (self-plug, huehuehue) went down, by using a sea creature-esque idea, while others have used more abstract ideas in conjunction with this concept, one of these main sub-groups being things that have to do with weather. And of those concepts, I believe the right way to do shape the idea that you two used, is to do what you two did do, in basing the concept around the multiple weather effects that a cloud can have. Personally, I like what D4rk3r's done better, as it incorporates the elements of Fire and Water into a single creature, however kirby's concept could work just as well, I feel, with a little more polishing. This said, I feel as if with the numerous amount of entries spanning over a number of different, equally as great concepts that have been explored in these posts, I need some legitimate convincing to believe that weather is the finite path to go down in regards to this CAP's design. So, neither of these concepts are bad, and are both executed quite well, but, as an audience member, (if you're able to in time, and such) try to pull me in to your concept, and convince me that what you have specifically, is the best design for this CAP.

Blue Frog- Yes! YES!!! Sorry, I just, err... Got a little excited there, but seriously. Your previous rendition of this design was genius in and of itself, with maybe the only thing holding it back being it's non-plausability (I guess..?) to be an actual pocket monster, and by jove you fixed it! Thank you!! In all honesty, I was starting to maybe look like this was just going to be a joke design that no-one took seriously when the polls came around, and then you reworked it to be more plausible as a 'mon, so... Congrats! Hope you do well!

GRs Cousin- I have to say, this is going to be brief, as I only have one real thing to communicate, but Molecule Frog, as a concept, is gold. Trust me, I am not under-exaggerating in saying this. What you've done with this design so far looks great, but please, before final submissions, please polish this with more poses, vivid colors etc. What's there so far is by no means bad, but the only real thing I feel that would help to better your design, would be to make it stand out more. Still, great job.

That's all for now. Mind you, I'll try to add more later, as I'm able to get some more Cynical juices flowing, but for now that's all I happen to have. Also, if I haven't given you any criticisms yet, it doesn't mean anything. Seriously, I swear. The only designs so far I've really commented on, are the ones that either asked for specific feedback in their posts, or stuck out as the most prominent things I felt I needed to share my opinions on. This does not mean I think your drawings are bad and wrong, (something which I would imagine most of you already know, but I am adding in for clarification's sake, as the internet can be scary sometimes) and I shall try to cover my feedback for everyone's stuff, soon as I get the chance.

(Edit:) By Jove, there's a lot of new stuff as of now, and all of it's masterful. Welp, let's continue, for the sake of feedback, shall we?

Last edited:
Alright. This slug thing is done, but I'll be making some other concepts later. I'll edit those in when I make them. Scratch that, slug isn't done. I'll keep editing it but I'll keep the wolf here. Next edit will be coloring the outlines/maybe making the volcano obsidian. (I've loved obsidian since I found out it existed and I'm astonished I forgot to use it here. ._.)

(Only real difference from the last one is that the tail lava is one line now. XD)
There we go. Now for the real reason of this post, my new concept:
Wolf
It's based on a Wolf, because I love wolves and I can't stand the fact that there are no actual wolf pokemon. Mark my words, every time I enter a CAP I will have a wolf-based concept, be it mythological or just normal wolf. Because: I can. :D (I'd also like feedback because it looks way too normal atm imo. ._.)
Wolf edit 1: Bubble tail and Fire mane. Because Dragonblaze/etc.
Slug edit: Obsidian volcano/colored outlines.

Idea #2, better or worse than fire eel? I don't know, going to be visiting both of them over the weekend if I can, figure out which direction is better.
It certainly has the funny factor, but imo the eel was better because it looked sooo cool.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that I can't write good criticisms.

Flame_Effigy : Frigging brilliant. The way that the dream catcher thing or whatever is designed is just awesome. I have a bit of a soft spot for pokemon based off of inanimate objects.

Blue Frog : Your boiling water fish design is so hilarious and adorable I just can't. It fits the typing so well. My only suggestion, ( Which you don't even need to implement) is that it be a lobster or be in some way involved with lobsters because, y'know, lobsters need to be boiled.

Birkal : Everything about that design is just so unbelievably good. It's a clearly defined fish with clear fire type attributes, it's simple, but probably one of the best designs on this thread imo. And the furnace gills? I can't love it enough

Dracoyoshi8 : Your dragon design IS amazing, but I want to see the return of the Marine Iguana design. It has so much potential.

Flummoxen : Squid + Missile = Yes

viiragon : The jet fish was something I didn't expect. It reminds me of pokemon like cascoon, silcoon, and forretress, because it has eyes, a limbless body, and an expressionless face. I'm loving that design.

Mine's done finally.
Please excuse my inexperience with dogs:

I've been trying to build a mon around this idea for ages, and this CAP provided the perfect chance to realize it. With a little imagination, alcohols can be considered "water that burns", so I designed a monster that could spew flammable liquids at its enemies, rather than boiling hot water.
I chose to make the mon a dog due to two influences: the iconic imagery of the barrel-toting St. Bernard, and the legendary magical celtic hound Failinis, whose most notable power was to change any water he bathed in into wine. These two inspirations are largely realised in the barrel-shaped curl of fur on the mon's neck, and the wet, wine-coloured outer coat. It is my hope that this faithful hound will be the keystone that keeps lucario and latias together.

Supplementary artwork: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31563939/Smogon/CAP7supp.png
Contains: CAP being friendly with Latias, shaking excess juice out of its fur (plus guy with funnel and keg), burning with the ethanol-blue flames of anger!, and a height chart (Official artwork of Lucas, Lucario and Latias, obtained from Bulbapedia).

Art looking-at time!
Agous: I didn't say this before, but I do think that making your manatee that small-looking and brown was a bad idea. it looks more like a wood carving of a manatee, or a nice, old version of Yami's core. It's not conveying either fire or water very well.
Arkeis: You will finish that elephant and it will be beautiful. Things shall be Thus!
Birkal: aww, now that's cute! refine those lines a bit so it isn't lumpy in the wrong places, and it'll be even better!
Blue Frog: Nice idea, but I can't tell whether the pot is meant to be artificial or not. The fins say no, but the handle and magikarp decal say yes. Also, the red splodges around the mouth are disturbingly blood-like...
Cretacerus: Your salamander is cute, but perhaps not blue enough to look water-y, and the quadruped is too rocky. Thus the sea dragon is the best option. I especially like the floating pearl!
CyzirVisheen: precious and inspired! now make it pretty!
Gun6: You know I love it!
Harle: Beautifully hideous! Though it might be a bit too leafy, with all that greenness and venation.
pkmn-taicho321: This one is also really darling, and I definitely want to see more!
Quanyails: I have to say that the beard isn't doing your entry any favours. I think it would look much better with a shave, and possibly much less of an overbite.
TeamNormalizer: I was charmed by your rocket dolphin, and it would be wonderful if you could pop back in and complete it. :)

EDIT: removed the blue bit at the very top of the head, and simplified the leg swirlies.

Last edited:

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Influx of cutemons!
I've been trying to come up with something related to starfish, which can be quite firey looking, and if I can invoke actual stars as well I'm hoping that the fire typing will tie in.
This is a sleepy starfish guy, be careful though, it has teeth under that cute lil beak!

I can't wait until I get a chance to comment, I love so many of the other designs!

edit 1: added a first try at colours, changed the expression to be more blank, i'll need to work on its personality a bit more

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)