Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Well, well...This thread has been quite dusty for a while now. Just passing by to do some more cleaning. To that, I'll start off with Mega Gengar.

Lurker here, may I offer a possible last minute change to Gengar?
(not transparent, sorry)
In over-world spriting its a fairly common technique to remove the bottom outline of objects on the ground, as the black outline can look like a shadow. It's not as applicable to larger sprites like these, but there's precedent for it in Diglett and Dugtrio's sprites.

I've removed the outline where I perceive it to be touching the ground, and made a few small changes that I thought needed fixing after I removed the outline, and I think it does look more like it's sinking into the ground then it did before. It might want a few more changes to the general shape at the bottom now though, and possible to the shading on the front sprites left (our right) arm.

Also, I'd like to say I love all the work you're doing, and regret not contributing earlier.

Point taken, but the transition of the outline going lineless is rather jarring. I think it would have been better if just the general shape of the body and phantom hands are tweaked while still retaining its outlines. Following that, I came up with these.

MEGA GENGAR

Also, the color inconsistencies were fixed as pointed out by PoM.

Oh, and lookie here!

MEGA KANGASKHAN

Simple, simple, I just superimposed my Baby Khan's sprite to Mama Khan's Gen V sprite. Latter was edited to have a more lively and light expression.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't worry I'm still alive

ok time to get to work again, starting mid next month I plan on getting a lot more done, a lot. princessofmusic and I were talking just the other day about how much we'd like to get done when xy has been released in a year. I think we could get quite a number of things done

Now time to do the impossible

In my talks with pom I said 'I don't want to cut or change colours from the main Kanga that would look bad'. This is 15 colours + transparency. I did a really clever cut and meld, I would dare say it's nearly impossible to tell. I see that Wobbles added more of an iris to mamma and I do think that is necessary. I'm not sure how animating this will go but perhaps Wobblebuns will want to provide the original baby for me to update. Then I would need aseprite to slightly modify three colours on the original mom.

princessofmusic what do you think?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just make sure to have a version with the baby not covering the mom's leg and arm if its palette is being changed plz. Although there's nothing wrong with it, you think the mom's pose could be changed a bit? Something like a head raise and/or a different arm position would probably be all the changes it needs to look different.

Something like these head positions

i noticed something really weird about espurr's front sprite (no offense meant, the backsprite was perfect.)
it's just it looks like it's bleeding its eyes out and the front sprite has no fur on the shoulders.
well it's just a tiny fix but

might get on animating it later, i suppose.

the old one (for reference)

alright animation might still be a faraway dream but at least got the key poses pinned down

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I would just drop in, post some things I did today to kind of help, if you find them useful, awesome! If not, don't worry, I figured I would try to help where I could :)

All of the sprites I found on the chart, all I did was recolor them with their Shiny Colors.
Not bad, although I do think we already have a Shiny Mega Mewtwo but not sure, however on your sprite something seems off but I'm not sure.

In my talks with pom I said 'I don't want to cut or change colours from the main Kanga that would look bad'. This is 15 colours + transparency. I did a really clever cut and meld, I would dare say it's nearly impossible to tell. I see that Wobbles added more of an iris to mamma and I do think that is necessary.
princessofmusic what do you think?
We could always make the Mega Baby into the colors of when it was in Mama's pouch couldn't we?
i noticed something really weird about espurr's front sprite (no offense meant, the backsprite was perfect.)
it's just it looks like it's bleeding its eyes out and the front sprite has no fur on the shoulders.
well it's just a tiny fix but

might get on animating it later, i suppose.

the old one (for reference)
I like the newer sprite but for some odd reason I like the older eyes better, did you also change the colors bit? I like them if you did but that's just my POV.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
on second thought..

I tested the last one with shiny colours, and realized I made a huge mistake when colour melding that wouldn't carry over for the shiny, this is the HG/SS sprite with BW colours, and one of the same colour reduction techniques I used last time. I would need to modify the back sprite but I think it's worth it for a literal tier destroying machine.

TrainerSplash said:
Not bad, although I do think we already have a Shiny Mega Mewtwo but not sure, however on your sprite something seems off but I'm not sure.

I checked on the chart, and noticed there was a MegaMewtwo Y done, not the other though, and something seems off on which one? Always trying to learn new things, so input is awesome!!
As said though, these sprites were all from the chart on the first page, I did the ones that were ok'ed but hadn't been done yet. :)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
After seeing someone steal the Charizard X sprite then *try* to edit some improvements (-_-) I have taken a fresh look and did some actual improvement.

This also fixes the darkest black colour being the same as the shiny charizard. Considering the angle of the neck and head I don't mind how the snout is shaped since it doesn't really need to extend so much at that angle.

Also adding in some ICC QC that happened a while back weee

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think I finally noticed what is making zard x's wings in the back sprite look so weird. The shading on that left wing is making it look like its trying to bend toward the front of zard's body. Not only that, it's as if that left wing is placed too far to the right. I could see that by looking at the space between both wings. Finally, doesnt the wings look as if it is on a wrong angle compared to the rest of the body? Its as if the wings are on a 90 degree angle while the rest of the body is on a 70ish degree angle.

Issue is that if that is done, the face would probably be covered. So there are 2 solutions I can think of. We could either have it cover the face and use it as a pose on one of the frames when animating. The wing should defiantly be removed in one version though. The other solution is just remaking the wings in a different pose completely (like having the wings on a pose when the wings are bent back) although that would make the static sprite look like an in between pose from an animation. I would still ask if a version of the wings (especially that skinny right wing) be made for how it would look when covering the face anyway. I version of that wing in the front sprite covered by his body would be nice too. Neither solution is optimal but its probably worth making that wing a nice as possible since its such a commonly used pokemon.

Status report, because I've been silent for awhile recently. I've been recently caught up with trying to juggle homework, personal life, and irl art for the school art gallery coming up in May. I'm hoping to get back to spriting on a more regular basis sometime soon, but it might be awhile before I get the energy/time to do something worth talking about. Currently, I've recently been working on some QC edits for Tyrantrum on request, so I'll post those up once they're presentable. That said, I can still chat a bit about the goings on before I return to writing an essay.

-snip-
I believe these were actually some topics of consideration I had when QC'ing Espurr awhile back. I believe the consensus was that the eyes without the outlines don't have enough of a stare factor to them, and the stare factor was necessary because that's about 90% of what makes Espurr's design. I personally prefer the old QC job for this reason as well. Also, the shoulder fur edit really isn't that big of a difference, so I can take it or leave it. As for the animation, I'd have to check to make sure Espurr actually blinks its eyes in the first place, as I don't rightly remember. Maybe we can have it do an eye shimmer or something if it doesn't blink.

I think I finally noticed what is making zard x's wings in the back sprite look so weird. -snip-
This was exactly my reasoning behind wanting to re-scratch the whole 'mon awhile ago, something I can still very easily get behind once my schedule clears up. The main reason I put it down and moved onto other things is because I was having a hard time sketching it out in a pose I liked that didn't have the same issue. I can return to my form studies on Charixard sometime soon if you guys want me too.

Layell Mega Kanga looks much better now due to the silhouette change. Might need to be scaled up a pixel or two, as I haven't checked its proportions side-by-side with Gen V Kanga, but just having it with a unique silhouette makes a world of difference. Also, on a completely unrelated note, would you be opposed to us using a different sprite for each of the Mega Latis? Since they do have different movesets and statlines, it seems like it would make sense logistically to give them some form of pose variation at the very least.

Anyway, keep up the good work everyone, and I'll see if I can't join you guys with one of my mile-long update posts in the near future. +)

Just make sure to have a version with the baby not covering the mom's leg and arm if its palette is being changed plz. Although there's nothing wrong with it, you think the mom's pose could be changed a bit? Something like a head raise and/or a different arm position would probably be all the changes it needs to look different.

Something like these head positions

on second thought..

I tested the last one with shiny colours, and realized I made a huge mistake when colour melding that wouldn't carry over for the shiny, this is the HG/SS sprite with BW colours, and one of the same colour reduction techniques I used last time. I would need to modify the back sprite but I think it's worth it for a literal tier destroying machine.
SLR. Funny you should say that, because Kangaskhan's HG/SS sprite was actually my first pick in pairing her with the M-Khan baby sprite. I opted not to and just chose the BW sprite because I'm not up for making back sprites at the time. Behold, the lazy bum I am. Well anyways, small nitpick, the right ear appears to be lacking the back side of it. Was that intentional? I think I'm sure from that angle, it should be seen.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
aXl I wouldn't be opposed to have them be different, Quany seems to have had a fun enough time fitting in the ginormous wings to begin with.

Wobblebuns that was probably because I cut it out accidentally from the other one, repost your original baby plz.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I checked on the chart, and noticed there was a MegaMewtwo Y done, not the other though, and something seems off on which one? Always trying to learn new things, so input is awesome!!
As said though, these sprites were all from the chart on the first page, I did the ones that were ok'ed but hadn't been done yet. :)
The Colors on Mewtwo X looks off, but like I said I'm not sure where or how, must be the fact that I have never seen a shiny Mewtwo X.
As for the kangaskhan, I really think we should make Mega Baby the same colors as it was in the pouch to make it match. I would also like the mention the fact that the babies always try to copy what their mother is doing. So the the fact that the baby is ready to fight while the mom is having her hands up looks quite odd. Unless when we start to animate this sprite, would the baby be a little behind on it's animation as if it was trying to copy the mom?

Here's my original baby sprites, Layell~
Always felt that there was something slightly off with the baby sprite front - if I recall the mouth wasn't anywhere near as close to the eyes as the sprite has it. Made a small edit myself to see how it looks. Thoughts?
Kangashkan tiny.png

Plus, just to see how it looks with the normal Kangashkan...
Kangashkan full.png

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
I think that the baby could use some refining. After looking at the picture it was based off of, it cold use a bit of shading on its face and body since it looks flat compared to the mother. His nose is a bit off but thats probably because it doesnt have that beak-like (couldnt think of another way to describe it >.<) mouth in the sprite.

Decided to give spriting another try since its not a hard change.

baby-khan.png

Without changing the palette, I added shading to the face and arms while making the mouth match the picture it was based off of. Also changed the blush back to pink since I think it looks better pink. What do you think?

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just want to point out that the Mega Kangaskhan sprite should absolutely use the BW version as a base, rather than the HGSS version. I know I've expressed this a lot on the past regarding other sprites, but I stand firmly against the "changing it for the sake of changing it" mindset. By doing so, it introduces subjectivity into something where making it completely objectively correct is possible and easy. Besides, almost all Megas use the near-exact same pose from regular to Mega, there is no reason to change it whatsoever.

And while I will refrain from posting more examples, this applies to most other Mega formes. There are some notable exceptions, such as Abomasnow and Pinsir who have major body structure changes, as well as Blaziken and Alakazam who sort of have distinctive "signature poses". But for pretty much all others, I see no reason to make major changes to the pose for no reason other than to make it different from the original.

EDIT: Ok, with the reasons given in the following two posts, my mind is changed about Kangaskhan. Do carry on.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
I have too considered the pose alteration, and the fact that I have changed opinions is due to one fact.

By changing the pose I stay within 15 colours, it is feasible to keep the same pose but I'd have to remove one highlight from the mega shoulder with the bw pose. To me that looks worse, and with a new pose I am given some more freedom since it doesn't need that shoulder highlight.

I have broken the 15 colour limit already with Xerneas(although for hacks I do have Xerneas neutral as an available option should they need it), I don't see the need to ever do it again. Mhan already has a relatively big decorum break since her baby changes design and colour, I don't mind if more things change.

Also in looking at Goodra recently we need to do some shiny QC for it so it looks better.

I much agree with Layell on Mega Kangaskhan. Let me add that I personally feel the HGSS sprite suits Mega Kanga even better because it looks so much livelier and that's exactly what's present in Mega Kangaskhan - the liveliness of parent and child working together. It's an essential trait this Mega Pokémon possesses and using the HGSS sprite complements that very nicely. All in all, I feel like the HGSS sprite suits Mega Kangaskhan best.

i did the megakangaskan some week ago, using the original sprite. I remove the baby and fix the shadows and the bag, but it's not completed. I think it can help you to do the megakangaskhan ( i removed the frames that are duplicat)

It only need to "paste" the animated baby. Maybe, i will do if i have free time. The frame rate i think is correct, but tell me if you find something wrong

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
The problem I see there is that charizard Y's wings are huge and theres not really a good way to stay within the limit without making either the wings or the body look disproportionate. It would work with charizard X a bit better but its really the back sprite that we are having issues with since the current front sprite looks good. (Although I do like this one's head better)

And seleccion kanga's right armpit does a spazz and I think the shadow on its belly is moving a bit weird. Finally, try fixing up those last couple frames so it could loop better. Besides that, Its nice. I still like the HGSS sprite better though :s

Anyway, its that time of the semester again with projects and tests beginning to pile up but when I get a break from them, I can start animating again. Mega banette is long overdue >.<

Since some people have been talking about remaking the MegaCharizard X sprite; how about this sprite?
It's a different look. It's flying. With a few touches here and there, it could work to make a backsprite and not make the wings awkward looking.
As much as I like these sprites (heck, I've made Shinies for 'em myself), they're too large for the standard canvas. It's a shame, as I'd have loved to see these.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Well, I was thinking; since you guys make the backsprite based on the front sprite, like a change of angle, It could work.
Yes I know it's oversized, but may be possible to work around the re-sizing and all.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Like as Typhlito stated it is a little large. I do like like the flying concept. It's probably best to keep Charizard Y on the ground cause of it's large wings. Since Charizard X just kinda glides there on the actual XY model this would be super easy for those who are gonna animate it, again just a little bit or re-sizing needs to be done.
I know this probably won't be that much of help, but since it's kinda hard (at least in my opinion) to find shiny colors I would be glad to help out with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)