Venomoth [QC 0/4]

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Overview
########

• Has a small, but valuable niche in OU, which is passing Quiver Dances to its teammates.

• Sleep Powder, one of Venomoth's keys to success, received new mechanics that hinder it. These include being blocked by Overcoat, being blocked by any Grass type, and the removal of sleep turn reset upon switch.

• Has 2 good abilities-Tinted Lens and Wonder Skin-to choose from. Wonder Skin is the better choice, though, as it gives it a 50% chance to completely ignore Taunt and all forms of status, which is certainly notable.

• Lackluster defenses

• Decent 90 Special Attack, but it just doesn't cut it in OU.

• Okay Speed, can outspeed some threats

• Taunt bait

[When I write up the Overview in paragraph form, I'll list the Pros first and Cons last, or vice versa, instead of mixing them together]

Baton Pass
#########
Name: Baton Pass
move 1: Quiver Dance
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Baton Pass
move 4: Bug Buzz
ability: Wonder Skin
item: Black Sludge
nature: Timid
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe

Moves
======

• Quiver Dance is what lit the way for Venomoth's appearance in OU, and is valuable to Venomoth's success, boosting three stats at once.

• Baton Pass allows you to escape trouble and pass on boosts to a more capable sweeper.

• Sleep Powder provides valuable free turns, easing setup.

• Bug Buzz is to take out any threats to its team, and for Venomoth to take advantage of the boosts itself. It also prevents Venomoth from becoming helpless when Taunted.

Set Details
========

• HP EVs give it some decent bulk

• Timid nature and Speed EVs are to tie with fully invested base 90s.

• Wonder Skin stops annoying support moves like Thunder Wave and Taunt cold 50% of the time, which, although not to be relied upon, can certainly come in handy.

• Black Sludge to recover some health here and there. Used instead of Leftovers to give Trick users a nasty surprise.

[EVs can be changed up for Venomoth, it probably doesn't need all this Speed with Ninjask and Scolipede running around]

Usage Tips
==========

• Sleep Powder is crucial to this set's success, make full use of it.

• If possible, try to attain a Quiver Dance boost before using Sleep Powder, so that you are able to get 2 or more boosts.

Team Options
============

• This set should only be used on a QuickPass team, a playstyle where you set up with big-time boosting moves and pass the boosts to Pokemon that can better take advantage of said boosts. Recipients include:
- Thundurus
- Thundurus-T
- Keldeo
- Mega Gardevoir
- Mega Charizard Y
- Latios

Other Options
==========

• A Quiver Dance sweeping set with Sleep Powder, BB, Quiver Dance, and Psychic is an option. With Tinted Lens as its ability, Venomoth achieves perfect neutral coverage with just 2 attacks. However, Venomoth is mostly outclassed by Volcarona, as Volcarona has better bulk, power, movepool, and generally does the role of sweeping better than Venomoth.

• Sludge Bomb is an option to replace Bug Buzz, as it has some merit to it, like taking out certain Fairy types such as non-CM Clefable.

• Tinted Lens allows Venomoth to get past some of the Pokemon that could normally take a couple hits from it, but it just isn't worth giving up Wonder Skin.

Checks And Counters
==============

• Flying priority from Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, and priority in general.

• Ditto copies Venomoth, allowing it to pass Quiver Dances to its teammates as well. Another thing to note is that most people probably won't prepare to counter their own Pokemon in case of Ditto, another reason why it is effective check.

• Bulky phazers such as Skarmory, Mandibuzz, Gyarados, Dragonite, Heatran, and the occasional Goodra can all take Bug Buzzes from Venomoth get rid of any boosts it has accumulated, messing up the opponent's game plan. Mandibuzz in particular can both Taunt and Whirlwind Venomoth, while being immune to Sleep Powder because of Overcoat's new mechanics.

• Taunt, especially Prankster Taunt from foes such as Sableye, Klefki, or Thundurus, have the potential to completely shut down Venomoth. Only trouble is, Wonder Skin blocks Taunt half the time, so only use it if you wall Venomoth[like Klefki] or can take a hit or two[like Tornadus or Thundurus].

• Bulky Grass types with a secondary typing like Chesnaught and Whimsicott may not seem like a good option at first, but look closer, and you'll see why they are effective at neutering Venomoth. They both are immune to Sleep Powder, and each have a way of shutting it down, with Roar and Prankster Taunt respectively.

Last edited:

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
I basically copypasted the rough skeleton I PM'd Colonel M, sorry about that. I made some changes though, as per Colonel M's opinion.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just a thought: you say
• Has 2 good abilities-Tinted Lens and Wonder Skin-to choose from.
, but never say the benefits of each. You mention that it is extreme Taunt bait, so it may be worth noting there that Taunt only has 50% accuracy on Wonder Skin Venomoth.

I'm rather busy in real life so I'm not able to expand on this as much as I would like to at this moment, but I see a variety of problems with this, so we'll start with the main one.

Venomoth's main niche and use is as a solo Baton Passer. It's not a Pokemon for full Baton Pass teams. Full Baton Pass teams have Scolipede for Speed and multiple Calm Mind users, most of the time. Venomoth is unneeded and a waste of a teamslot there. Venomoth's niche is coming in after you sacrifice something and have no hazards on your side of the field on something that can't hurt Venomoth terribly, setting up a Quiver Dance as they switch, tanking a hit with its Focus Sash, putting the thing that they brought in to sleep, and either grabbing another boost before passing or passing immediately to a teammate if they have a priority user.

We'll start there.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Just a thought: you say , but never say the benefits of each. You mention that it is extreme Taunt bait, so it may be worth noting there that Taunt only has 50% accuracy on Wonder Skin Venomoth.
I'm rather busy in real life so I'm not able to expand on this as much as I would like to at this moment, but I see a variety of problems with this, so we'll start with the main one.

Venomoth's main niche and use is as a solo Baton Passer. It's not a Pokemon for full Baton Pass teams. Full Baton Pass teams have Scolipede for Speed and multiple Calm Mind users, most of the time. Venomoth is unneeded and a waste of a teamslot there. Venomoth's niche is coming in after you sacrifice something and have no hazards on your side of the field on something that can't hurt Venomoth terribly, setting up a Quiver Dance as they switch, tanking a hit with its Focus Sash, putting the thing that they brought in to sleep, and either grabbing another boost before passing or passing immediately to a teammate if they have a priority user.

We'll start there.
Thank you both for your input, I have made sufficient changes. Also, a question for anyone else viewing this: Is Wonder Skin on Venomoth viable? Personally, I would rather stop Taunt and status 50% of the time than hit certain Pokemon harder when your main job is to pass the boosts to a teammate, but I guess that's just me.

Wonder Skin > Tinted Lens, in my opinion. Tinted Lens isn't as good in OU since several solid Pokemon such as Charzard Y, Heatran, Skarmory, and Aegislash still resist Bug Buzz even with Tinted Lens. Besides, Venomoth isn't exactly going to be hitting all that hard with an uninvested base 90 SpA stat anyway. Meanwhile, Wonder Skin gives you a 50/50 chance to completely dodge moves like Taunt and Thunder Wave from stuff like Thundurus. It's not something to rely on, but seeing as how these kinds of moves can completely ruin Venomoth, stopping them cold 50% of the time is great.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah put Wonder Skin back on as the main ability. Maybe mention Tinted Lens being nice to have when using Bug Buzz.

(For some reason I thought Wonder Skin was Shield Dust. Dont ask me why - I was in a weird rush yesterday as one could tell by my Venomoth spelling as Venemoth...).

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
A Quiver Dance set is an option, but Venomoth is mostly outclassed by Volcarona, as Volcarona has better bulk, power, movepool, and generally does the role of sweeping better than Venomoth.
All sets use Quiver Dance, specify Quiver Dance offensive sets.

Also, I definitely think Wonder Skin is its best Ability choice. Tinted lens, imo, belongs in OO for being able to hit the various bug resisting pokemon neutrally.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
All sets use Quiver Dance, specify Quiver Dance offensive sets.

Also, I definitely think Wonder Skin is its best Ability choice. Tinted lens, imo, belongs in OO for being able to hit the various bug resisting pokemon neutrally.
Thanks for catching that, I changed it to "Quiver Dance sweeping set"

I also changed around the abilities and some other stuff. Thanks to all of you guys for replying to the thread so quickly and making it better, one post at a time :)

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Alright, one more small point. Venomoth's max HP, 344, is not divisible by 16, and it is weak to SR. Thus, it's better to have an odd number of HP. Since you're boosting your Special Defense, I'd recommend a spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Alright, one more small point. Venomoth's max HP, 344, is not divisible by 16, and it is weak to SR. Thus, it's better to have an odd number of HP. Since you're boosting your Special Defense, I'd recommend a spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Uh Spe is short for Speed, Special Defense is usually abbreviated as SpD or SDef. Sorry if that was unclear. But good point, I will change up the HP EVs.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Add Keldeo and Mega Gardevoir as recipients of the Quiver Pass. Keldeo has the bulk, raw power and has pseudo mixed offenses with Secret Sword letting it laugh at Chansey. Gardevoir has exceptional special defenses, esecially at +1 letting you pass agaisnt specially offensive targets withouth any trouble, it also has psyshock to help beat some special walls, and its hyper voice is ridiculously strong at +1.

In a similar vein Gengar and Greninja arent amazing options being pretty frail, and rely on Life Orb for enough power, I wouldnt list them primarily. Also Kingdra, it just has mediocre stats to receive a pass.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just some immediate things to change:
Tinted Lens allows Venomoth to get past some of the Pokemon that could normally take a couple hits from it, but it just isn't worth giving up Wonder Skin.
Mention that with a dedicated Tinted Lens sweeping set, Psychic is generally the best secondary attack since it gets completely neutral coverage.
If a situation comes up where you can either take out a threat or pass on the boosts to a teammate, take out the threatening Pokemon! Unless the opponent has a teammate waiting to revenge kill Venomoth, there's really no risk in taking out a Pokémon with Venomoth; in fact, it helps the team by getting a Pokémon out of the way.
I'm disagreeing with you here, you need to change this point. Even if there's a Pokemon Venomoth is capable of easily taking out, the priority is not to sweep with Venomoth—it's to sweep with a better sweeper who the player will pass boosts to. If a Pokemon comes up that is easy passing bait (in other words, completely non-threatening to one of your attackers), the player should be concerned with getting those boosts to an attacker, not keeping Venomoth in and making a pass harder later on.

Other than that this WIP looks like it's headed in the right direction.

You mention tinted lens in the overview as a great ability, but it's only listed in OO in the analysis. I think the overview should only stress Wonder Guard in this case.

I really think you can reorganize C+C more effectively to the categories Bulky Phazers, Priority Users, Taunt Users and Ditto.

Also especially mention bulky grasses in the categories such as Chestnaught (Roar) and Whimsicott (Taunt) as there immune to Sleep Powder, take neutral from Bug Buzz and completely shut it down

Last edited:

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Yeah, I know that. I was recommending a spread of 248 HP, 8 Defense, and 252 Speed.
Oh, sorry, I guess I misunderstood you there.
Add Keldeo and Mega Gardevoir as recipients of the Quiver Pass. Keldeo has the bulk, raw power and has pseudo mixed offenses with Secret Sword letting it laugh at Chansey. Gardevoir has exceptional special defenses, esecially at +1 letting you pass agaisnt specially offensive targets withouth any trouble, it also has psyshock to help beat some special walls, and its hyper voice is ridiculously strong at +1.

In a similar vein Gengar and Greninja arent amazing options being pretty frail, and rely on Life Orb for enough power, I wouldnt list them primarily. Also Kingdra, it just has mediocre stats to receive a pass.
Just some immediate things to change:

Mention that with a dedicated Tinted Lens sweeping set, Psychic is generally the best secondary attack since it gets completely neutral coverage.

I'm disagreeing with you here, you need to change this point. Even if there's a Pokemon Venomoth is capable of easily taking out, the priority is not to sweep with Venomoth—it's to sweep with a better sweeper who the player will pass boosts to. If a Pokemon comes up that is easy passing bait (in other words, completely non-threatening to one of your attackers), the player should be concerned with getting those boosts to an attacker, not keeping Venomoth in and making a pass harder later on.

Other than that this WIP looks like it's headed in the right direction.
You mention tinted lens in the overview as a great ability, but it's only listed in OO in the analysis. I think the overview should only stress Wonder Guard in this case.
I really think you can reorganize C+C more effectively to Bulky Phazers, Priority Users, Taunt Users and Ditto.

Also especially mention bulky grasses in the categories such as Chestnaught (Roar) and Whimsicott (Taunt) as there immune to Sleep Powder, take neutral from Bugg Buzz and completely shut it down
Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it greatly. All suggestions have been implemented in the analysis.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
• Bulky phazers such as Skarmory, Hippowdon, Vaporeon, and Heatran (Will add more, can't think of any others off the top of my head) get rid of any boosts Venomoth has accumulated.
Some other phazers I can think of are Whirlwind Mandibuzz who gets neutrally hit by buzz, and some bulky dtail users like Dragonite, Gyarados and the occasional Goodra who take almost nothing from bugbuzz.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Some other phazers I can think of are Whirlwind Mandibuzz who gets neutrally hit by buzz, and some bulky dtail users like Dragonite, Gyarados and the occasional Goodra who take almost nothing from bugbuzz.
Thanks for the information, I added the Pokemon you suggested and replaced Hippowdon and Vaporeon.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sleep Powder's new mechanics (such as no reset after switching and Grass-types are immune to Sleep Powder) is a pretty big change. Same with Overcoat. Venomoth is pretty reliant on Sleep Powder to safely Quiver Dance. I would say these are necessary to be noted.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Sleep Powder's new mechanics (such as no reset after switching and Grass-types are immune to Sleep Powder) is a pretty big change. Same with Overcoat. Venomoth is pretty reliant on Sleep Powder to safely Quiver Dance. I would say these are necessary to be noted.
Yes, but where? In the Overview?

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
after some discussion on irc, we decided that venomoth requires far too much support and that its niche is irrelevant, not to mention the fact that it isn't even a win button like Scolipede can be.

QC Rejected 1/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)