Pet Mods General thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
OK all so minor update sorta: I'm back and I was able to update Kalos 2's current logo! along with our new motto- Rehink Standard, I am also in the process of launching my own Om server and making a beta 3 for kalos 2 and making it an exclusive beta with beta keys for a secretive server and such!:

Sorry for the double post but...
OiawesomeDG When is your server gonna be back up? I'm hyped for Kalos 2 Beta 3 and I need a coder for Brokemons (mostly the second one, but still).
mlgstorm Can you give an update on Sylveria? I want to know what's going on.
Redolent Tell the public about PBM updates. We want to know!
I'm at a dichotomy with this thread - I want to keep it as it is but I also want good pet mods to have their own thread.
I'll decide something soon.
Have you decided yet? It's been a while since you said that. And remember: THIS IS A GOOD IDEA.

Last edited:
Currently I'm at a stand still with Sylveria. An iOS / Android app called Rage of Bahamut has been keeping me busy lately, and my Order is participating in Holy Wars, so I've been low on time. I also got grounded yesterday, but what can you do. :l

I've been brainstorming a bit, and I've decided to break the 90 Pokemon rule. I'm now going to make a competitively viable Pokemon for every unused type combination. There will still be combos that have been used before, but they won't be the focus. If you'd like in the discussion room for Sylveria, just ask and I'll let you in.

Currently I'm at a stand still with Sylveria. An iOS / Android app called Rage of Bahamut has been keeping me busy lately, and my Order is participating in Holy Wars, so I've been low on time. I also got grounded yesterday, but what can you do. :l

I've been brainstorming a bit, and I've decided to break the 90 Pokemon rule. I'm now going to make a competitively viable Pokemon for every unused type combination. There will still be combos that have been used before, but they won't be the focus. If you'd like in the discussion room for Sylveria, just ask and I'll let you in.
I'd like in!

canno

formerly The Reptile

I'd like to be a part of this conversation

I'm in!

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Alright, so an update on Kalos 2:
  • Beta 3 is in the works
  • Kalos 2 viability rankings are in the works
  • Kalos 2 Analyses are a thing now! Use the OU Analyses standards and formatting to start posting skeletons and stuff(I'll link it later)

tbh I think that Pet Mods need a massive general renovation as they have a horrible reputation and this is partly justified. I'll try to list a couple of reasons as to why Pet Mods have been floundering.

The name

"Pet Mods" as a name to be honest is pretty shit as it was made as a derogatory term to imply that Pet Mods are purely the whims of the creator fucking around with the core of Pokemon (Admittedly it didn't help that Joimmons, the most recent mod as of the post by Arizona, wasn't shy of admitting that it pretty much was just whatever the fuck Joim thought was cool) I don't mean to say that Arizona's thread was a bad one or that his nickname was unjustified, but I think the pet mod needs to shed the name into a more respectable one (I want to go for simply "Mods" here, but that could lead to confusion with moderators in certain contexts so it's not a perfect name)

The Barrier to entry

I think that having this thread as a way to bypass the Other Meta registration process also gives mods a poor reputation, I don't mind a general thread to drum up a team for making a mod but having this feels like a cheap way to make OMs. Imo this thread should be re-purposed into an general gather up thread and then after some IRC/Skype/Whatever you want to use for discussion you present at least a 75% complete version to of the the OM moderators and get it verfied and have it's own thread.

General difficulty

Mods aren't like the other OMs, they are much, much harder to produce. Mods require changing the fundamentals of the game, including Pokemon and possibly extending to moves, abilities and possibly even things like weather. It's very easy to make an unbalanced meta and the meta changes for every thing you add to the game so you will most likely have to change your previous changes again multiple times to produce a decent result. It's not like Alphabetmons or STABmons where a single flash of an idea produces a deep and entertaining Metagame. You should really be trying to get a team of at least 5 people and have most of them be players of a good reputation, which brings us into...

The general indifference/contempt among the more skilled players of this meta to Mods

Let's face it, most of the better members of the OM community really don't care for Mods at all. And let's face it unless Mods can shake off the "Scrub OM" reputation it will always be a Scrub OM. The OM community is one of the smaller communities on Smogon, and not catching the eye of at least a couple of decent metas pretty much leaves your meta dead on arrival. This will be the hardest thing to break out of and if it fails (And hell, maybe people just prefer other OMs so what could we do?) then well the vicious cycle of Mod Scrubbiness will never be broken.

Imo if I can get a decent team going I would totally be up for a "Reconstruction" of the Mods but before we even flash up our first idea the general Mod system/"Community" (it's like 5 people now let's face it) needs some drastic changes.

I'll try and have more of a presence around here the next few days so if you catch me you can hit me up with some more stuff if ya want.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Oops, I was reffering to Alphabet Cup there. My bad.
My tablet would lag if I replied to your llonger post so I'll just say it here: Magolor your ideas were awesome back in NUv2 and they still are, good idea, I completely agree with making OMs and pet mods especially less 'scrubby'.

In other news: my server will be back in a week or so, due to this reason: I'm pretty sure I only told Pikachuun on PS the fact that I've recently been taking a trip around the world! rn I'm in Paris and soon getting on a flight to tokyo, and It'll probably be a week before I get back to my Linux comp at home, aka 'murrica.

So I leave the community to come up with some Kalos 2 viability ranking, analyses, and beta 3 ideas for me to think over when I'm back from break. I trust Leafshield as my new official co-owner for kalos 2! And I also trust him to handle the ideas and discussion during my away-ness, also be sure to congratulate him though!

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
tbh I think that Pet Mods need a massive general renovation as they have a horrible reputation and this is partly justified. I'll try to list a couple of reasons as to why Pet Mods have been floundering.

The name

"Pet Mods" as a name to be honest is pretty shit as it was made as a derogatory term to imply that Pet Mods are purely the whims of the creator fucking around with the core of Pokemon (Admittedly it didn't help that Joimmons, the most recent mod as of the post by Arizona, wasn't shy of admitting that it pretty much was just whatever the fuck Joim thought was cool) I don't mean to say that Arizona's thread was a bad one or that his nickname was unjustified, but I think the pet mod needs to shed the name into a more respectable one (I want to go for simply "Mods" here, but that could lead to confusion with moderators in certain contexts so it's not a perfect name)

The Barrier to entry

I think that having this thread as a way to bypass the Other Meta registration process also gives mods a poor reputation, I don't mind a general thread to drum up a team for making a mod but having this feels like a cheap way to make OMs. Imo this thread should be re-purposed into an general gather up thread and then after some IRC/Skype/Whatever you want to use for discussion you present at least a 75% complete version to of the the OM moderators and get it verfied and have it's own thread.

General difficulty

Mods aren't like the other OMs, they are much, much harder to produce. Mods require changing the fundamentals of the game, including Pokemon and possibly extending to moves, abilities and possibly even things like weather. It's very easy to make an unbalanced meta and the meta changes for every thing you add to the game so you will most likely have to change your previous changes again multiple times to produce a decent result. It's not like Alphabetmons or STABmons where a single flash of an idea produces a deep and entertaining Metagame. You should really be trying to get a team of at least 5 people and have most of them be players of a good reputation, which brings us into...

The general indifference/contempt among the more skilled players of this meta to Mods

Let's face it, most of the better members of the OM community really don't care for Mods at all. And let's face it unless Mods can shake off the "Scrub OM" reputation it will always be a Scrub OM. The OM community is one of the smaller communities on Smogon, and not catching the eye of at least a couple of decent metas pretty much leaves your meta dead on arrival. This will be the hardest thing to break out of and if it fails (And hell, maybe people just prefer other OMs so what could we do?) then well the vicious cycle of Mod Scrubbiness will never be broken.

Imo if I can get a decent team going I would totally be up for a "Reconstruction" of the Mods but before we even flash up our first idea the general Mod system/"Community" (it's like 5 people now let's face it) needs some drastic changes.

I'll try and have more of a presence around here the next few days so if you catch me you can hit me up with some more stuff if ya want.
EDIT: Sorry for the double post, just thought this was important
Tagging
Arcticblast , Joim and even Birkal for this post, I think this like the largely fading idea to disband a general thread for pet mods, is extremely VERY important. I also think that we should have a specific Pet mod leader instead of only the very busy Joim who is sorta out of touch with producing pet mods. Maybe specifically the one who made this thread *wink wink* nah jk, choose whoever you want, or nobody at all, your desicion, just my suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)