np: XY UU Stage 1 - Reload [Salamence: BL | Next: DROPS!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would argue against Mega Absol doing nothing to patch up his existing problems. It actually takes care off 99% of them. His speed is patched up so you can more easily bring that gargantuan attack stat to bear without being forced to rely on Sucker Punch. He gets a boosted Special Attack so he can use his excellent special movepool. Finally, he gets Magic Bounce, so no more statusing him/phazing him as he goes for Sucker Punch. The only problem it doesn't fix is his status as a glass cannon, but now he's a glass cannon with an emphasis on "cannon" instead of "glass".
Don't get me wrong I do find that the speed boost is an improvement, as well as the SpA boost in allowing him to be more of a mix sweeper to muscle through some checks, it is just that his defenses really leave a lot to be desired that frankly you are less likely to be statused while setting up as simply being outright attacked and lot of things are easily able to stomach an unboosted sucker punch, especially with a lot of things being bulkier.

Given the tendency towards a bulkier meta-game, especially with a lot of the hardest hitters gone, I find some defense would have been a welcome change - especially given his ability as it would have been wonderful team support - that I honestly find using MDoom or MManetric to be an easier fit for team building because of said bulk barring all other differences.

But that is not saying Absol is absolutely broken in UU as Fairies Florges walls it comfortably unless it gets to +2 and has a neutral move to hit it. Usual Scarfers like Heracross who resists its Sucker Punch can also atttempt to revenge kill it but it still loses a huge chunk of health to a +2 Sucker Punch. There is still the aforementioned Extreme Speed, but the only notable users are Arcanine and Entei now that Zygarde is gone. Repeated Initimidate can also be used to weaken Absol but good luck with that because it only works just as well as the Fake Out strategy.
In any event, I don't particularly find MAbsol to be a potentially problematic mon since his flaws and obvious need of support in order to set up, be it SD or mega-evolving, are quite exploitable that make playing around him more manageable of course once he manages to get started he is tough to stop. Though I would never particularly bother with Fake Out as MAbsol has far better moves to utilize than that, even if it helps him in MEvolving just don't use it as his other moves are just that much better.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I still really don't think SD is MAbsol's best set. It's frail as shit. Any mon that can hit it with decent force and live a +2 hit is going to beat it. Although SD can work, it is incredibly difficult to find setup opportunities. I personally prefer a mixed/all-out attacking set that looks a bit like this:

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified --> Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive / Naughty
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower / Psycho Cut
- Fire Blast / Ice Beam
- Knock Off​

You're frail as shit. Your ability upon Mega Evolution encourages attacks anyway. Why not just go all out and hit hard off the bat? Sucker Punch is priority and gives Absol a good way to deal damage to faster opponents. Superpower and Psycho Cut give coverage on certain threats. Superpower beats up Umbreon and bulky Normal-types like P2 and Snorlax. Psycho Cut is a nice alternative if you feel the need to nail shit like Machamp and the Nidos, but this will leave Absol next to useless in the presence of Dark-types that have any decent bulk. Due to the major Special Attack boost, Absol can easily run a special move to nail select physical walls. Fire Blast drills Mega Aggron and Escavalier, both of which could otherwise tank a hit and KO back easily. Ice Beam is an alternative if you need Absol to deal serious damage to Hippowdon. It also gets coverage on Nidoking/Queen should you not run Psycho Cut. Knock Off fills the last slot as Absol's go-to STAB move to deal damage, cripple non-Megas, and clean up if faster threats are removed. EVs maximize Absol's Attack and Speed while not gimping the power of Absol's Special Attack of choice. Naive is preferred to stay in front of Mienshao, but Naughty is an option if you have a way around it.

There are some issues with Mega Absol. Even with base 150 Attack, a +2 Sucker Punch doesn't guarantee an OHKO. So Mega Absol can still get revenge killed. Actually it fails to OHKO Mienshao, and thanks to Regenerator, Mienshao doesn't mind taking so much damage from it. Arcanine easily checks it thanks to Intimidate, and can OHKO it with Flare Blitz or Close Combat. Also, Mega Absol has to worry about an opponent using Substitute, as if it uses Swords Dance, or Sucker Punch, it will be faced with a Sub, where it can't really do anything but take a hit, or switch out.

Absol needs to run Swords Dance to actually OHKO things.

252+ Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 240-283 (78.9 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 226-266 (58.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 238-280 (65.3 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Would do more calcs, but I think

and Absol fails to OHKO Mega Aggron with Fire Blast

4 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 160-190 (46.5 - 55.2%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO

EDIT: forgot Mega Aggron uses a special defensive spread, so:

4 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 111-132 (32.2 - 38.3%) -- 96.9% chance to 3HKO

I really don't think is even close to be broken, or even OP.

Last edited:
Note that most people run 252 HP/252 SpD+ Mega-Aggron (although I don't). I would use that M-Absol set as a cleaner. It IS too frail to be a more-than-decent hole puncher with a SD set.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Is Cloyster going to get a chance to be BL'd?

And I'm NOT JUST ASKING THIS BECAUSE I GOT SWEPT BY ONE
the perils of running quagsire as your bulky water on a stall team ;)

Tbh post 1 only mentions the pokes that the council decided to temp-ban from UU, not all the ones that dropped from OU.Unless something changes, I imagine cloyster's not going to tested until at least the tests on all the other mons are complete.

the way the meta is now though i don't really see it moving. -most- bulky waters and steels bone it and with tanks like mega-aggron in the tier i don't really see it being too broken. time will tell though

No mention of Play Rough on that M-Absol set? Sure, it means you can't use Knock Off, but that way you're still capable of smashing both fighting-types and darks alike, freeing up a slot for something else [like, say, the other special attack], and I guess Night Slash if you want a more consistent Dark attack in addition to Sucker Punch.

Have I been the only one running Will-o-Wisp on Mega Absol? I've used mixed Swords Dance and all-out attacker on Mega Absol, but this set has actually brought me the most success.
Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 228 HP / 28 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Play Rough
Yeah. Investing bulk into Mega Absol. What am I thinking right? Well this set is mainly designed to force switches and cripple physical attackers while sweeping with Swords Dance. It does all three roles effectively. You don't need to invest into Attack that much since you're very likely to be able to set up a Swords Dance with this set and Mega Absol's attack is already quite high. Play Rough covers Dark and Fighting types, making them difficult to switch into Mega Absol, leaving Fairies as Mega Absol's only issue. Florges is Mega Absol's biggest problem, but it still takes a good amount of damage from Play Rough after Swords Dance. (+2 28 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 257-303 (71.3 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)
Can it survive anything with its naturally poor bulk, even if the enemy is burned? Yeah. Don't expect it to take on Mienshao or Darmanitan head on, but just take a look at some of this:
252+ Atk burned Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 171-202 (52.1 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk burned Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 135-165 (41.1 - 50.3%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk burned Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 90-106 (27.4 - 32.3%) -- 74.6% chance to 3HKO after sandstorm damage
252+ Atk burned Toxicroak Drain Punch vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 178-210 (54.2 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Keep in mind that Absol would normally switch out after it burns something or go for a Swords Dance it is a 3HKO or less.

I'll admit, this doesn't look that great on paper (or on a screen rather), but it really does work. Try it for yourselves before you inevitably knock this down.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No mention of Play Rough on that M-Absol set? Sure, it means you can't use Knock Off, but that way you're still capable of smashing both fighting-types and darks alike, freeing up a slot for something else [like, say, the other special attack], and I guess Night Slash if you want a more consistent Dark attack in addition to Sucker Punch.
Trust me when I say that you want to use Knock Off on a Dark-type if it learns the move. Play Rough can hit both Fighting- and Dark-types, but Superpower and Psycho Cut can cover these just as well. Imo, so long as you can smack Umbreon, you'll be ok with MAbsol. Psycho Cut is really only there if you absolutely need Absol to beat Fighting-types. If Zygarde, Mence, and other Dragons were still in the tier, then I could see the use in Play Rough. But as it is now, the only Dragons in the tier that are common are Kyurem (wrecked harder by Superpower) Flygon (Sucker Punch / Knock Off does a fair bit to it) and Mega Ampharos (admittedly useful to have Play Rough here) So, there's only one Dragon where Play Rough is really useful. I just feel that Superpower / Psycho Cut gets better coverage alongside Absol's Dark-type STAB in UU currently, and it helps that you can't use Knock Off and Play Rough together. (Knock Off is generally better)

There are some issues with Mega Absol. Even with base 150 Attack, a +2 Sucker Punch doesn't guarantee an OHKO. So Mega Absol can still get revenge killed. Actually it fails to OHKO Mienshao, and thanks to Regenerator, Mienshao doesn't mind taking so much damage from it. Arcanine easily checks it thanks to Intimidate, and can OHKO it with Flare Blitz or Close Combat. Also, Mega Absol has to worry about an opponent using Substitute, as if it uses Swords Dance, or Sucker Punch, it will be faced with a Sub, where it can't really do anything but take a hit, or switch out.

Absol needs to run Swords Dance to actually OHKO things.

252+ Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 240-283 (78.9 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 226-266 (58.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 238-280 (65.3 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Would do more calcs, but I think

and Absol fails to OHKO Mega Aggron with Fire Blast

4 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 160-190 (46.5 - 55.2%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO

EDIT: forgot Mega Aggron uses a special defensive spread, so:

4 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 111-132 (32.2 - 38.3%) -- 96.9% chance to 3HKO

I really don't think is even close to be broken, or even OP.
Sub? You are playing Absol wrong if you don't use Knock Off against things that commonly carry sub. With the exception of Raikou who speed ties with you and Whimsicott who has Prankster, there are nothing that is faster than Mega Absol while commonly carrying Sub. The only time you use Sucker Punch is when you have confirmed that something is Scarfed/has pirority, otherwise Knock Off/coverage move is the superior option.

"But how am I suppose to know if Raikou is a SubCM set or Scarfed!? And even then I cannot get past Aggron and Florges even with SD and Fire Blast!"

The thing is, Mega Absol is not a wallbreaker. It is a sweeper. And last I checked one does not sweep when Aggron and Florges sit at full health unless you manages to boost to insane levels early on the match. You only bring Mega Absol out when the walls are down/at low health. If anything the Fire Blast calc only shows how potent Absol as a sweeper is, as it can begin to sweep when it finds an opportunity to setup after its teammates dropped opposing Aggron to 1/3 of its health.

The fact that it has a wide movepool also makes it hard to check. For example you expect your bulky banded Heracross to be able to live a +2 Sucker Punch, but nope, suddenly it uses Psycho Cut or Fire Blast. Think Florges can wall it? Nope, Iron Tail. Can Scrafty suck up a Sucker Punch? Play Rough/Superpower says hi. A full health Aggron should wall it, right? Wait, it Baton Passed the SD boost to a Scarfed Moxie Heracross. By the time you realize what coverage it carries it will often be too late as it will have cleaned up a portion of your team.

Last edited:
Anyone else been super impressed with Toxicroak? UU is finally able to appreciate his Dry Skin, which is great because Scald is still amazing and the tier is as populated as ever with water types (Blastoise and Suicune are seeing peak usage, Vaporeon and Tenta are now UU, Empoleon got Defog etc...) He handily hardcounters Crocune and resists all of M-Blastoise's coverage (though I'm starting to see some with Dragon Pulse too) A simple SD set has been pulling weight literally every match:

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot

Oh right, the other great boon for Toxicroak: Gunk Shot has been buffed to 80% accuracy! That's a spammable 120 base power STAB move with a 30% chance to poison. And it's very spammable for Toxicroak thanks to his complementary fighting STAB to take on some of the steel and rock type resists. It's great for nailing Florges and Celebi in particular, but really its just a useful nuke at +2. Sucker Punch is necessary to avoid being revenge killed, particularly useful for Darm, Victini and being able to hit Metagross, and because there are many opportunities to set up with this guy it won't go to waste.

I'm sure that Life Orb is very useful, especially for powering up Sucker Punch to secure some KO's at +2, I just haven't been so disappointed in his power to try it yet. There are some obvious stops to this set, like defensive Hippowdon and Crobat, ghosts who want to W-o-W you

EonX

Battle Soul
Honestly, I feel that Life Orb is a better item for Toxicroak. I mean, you have Drain Punch there for a reliable STAB move for when you just need to hit something to KO it and it has the added benefit of healing damage Croak has taken. Life Orb is very usable as Toxicroak has a very powerful STAB move in Gunk Shot, a solid priority move in Sucker Punch, and a reliable STAB move that heals it as well in Drain Punch. With the abundance of Water-types, Toxicroak can find plenty of setup opportunities. Hard counters CroCune (one of very few offensive mons to do this) dgaf about Tentacruel, and can also use more defensive variants of Roserade as setup bait if Sleep clause is active. However, it does have issues with some bulky Waters. Slowbro is obviously a no switch-in zone due to Psychic STAB. Vaporeon and Empoleon may be using Roar, so it isn't a guaranteed setup opportunity (but if Vaporeon uses Heal Bell, you should be against it) and Mega Blastoise can often carry Ice Beam or Dragon Pulse to do some serious damage if Croak tries to setup. Although Toxicroak can be dangerous, it can be difficult to use when it can't even use two of the most common bulky Water-types (Slowbro and M-Blastoise) as setup fodder and it absolutely needs the boost to reliably dent things.

Yea i agree with EonX on the item Choice. With only a 105 Base Attack Toxicroak needs all the power it can get. Even at +2 it can not KO some of its checks.

For example, Offensive Slowbro
Without Life Orb:+2 252 Atk Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Slowbro: 312-367 (79.1 - 93.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
With Life Orb:+2 252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Slowbro: 406-477 (103 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

A Life Orb is also needed to KO Starmie with Sucker Punch
252 Atk Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 174-206 (66.6 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 226-268 (86.5 - 102.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

So imo Life Orb is absolutely necessary on Toxicroak.

Definitely some convincing calcs, giving Life Orb a try.

EonX- I don't really agree that M-Blastoise isn't a setup opportunity. Toxicroak has to be healthy b/c he takes a huge dent from a modest Dragon Pulse (71.9 - 84.6%), but at +2 Gunk Shot is a guaranteed OHKO and Drain Punch hits for 64.9 - 76.7%. Certainly not the best conditions, but depending on the situation it might be your best option. Considering not all Blastoise are fully invested modest, nor do they all run Dragon Pulse, I think I'd take my chances.

Slowbro, of course, is a no go lol

the perils of running quagsire as your bulky water on a stall team ;)

Tbh post 1 only mentions the pokes that the council decided to temp-ban from UU, not all the ones that dropped from OU.Unless something changes, I imagine cloyster's not going to tested until at least the tests on all the other mons are complete.

the way the meta is now though i don't really see it moving. -most- bulky waters and steels bone it and with tanks like mega-aggron in the tier i don't really see it being too broken. time will tell though
Quagsire is ok, but not the best Cloyster counter. It is 3HKO'ed by Icicle Spear and with a bit of prior damage it is 2HKOed. After just 30% health is gone, it's a clean 2HKO. Meanwhile, Quagsire can just stall with Toxic, but then again, it gets 2HKOed in the process. Or you could be cool like me and run Hidden Power [Grass] Cloyster :].

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Quagsire is ok, but not the best Cloyster counter. It is 3HKO'ed by Icicle Spear and with a bit of prior damage it is 2HKOed. After just 30% health is gone, it's a clean 2HKO. Meanwhile, Quagsire can just stall with Toxic, but then again, it gets 2HKOed in the process. Or you could be cool like me and run Hidden Power [Grass] Cloyster :].
not a huge quagsire fan, but iirc he has recover so he wouldnt be 3 or 2 HKOd in the hands of a good player

EonX

Battle Soul
Which you only have a 60% chance of actually being able to do if Quagsire is in 2HKO range and Cloyster holds King's Rock Ununhexium . That's the deal with Cloyster. If it runs King's Rock (most should) and your counter / check is within 2HKO range of Icicle Spear or Rock Blast, then that check / counter has a 40% chance of doing absolutely nothing and losing to something it's supposed to beat.

senegal , I wouldn't always take my chances. As you said, it kinda depends on the situation and unless Toxicroak is the only thing left that can win the game for me, I'm not going to try and use M-Blastoise as setup fodder due to the sheer threat of a possible Dragon Pulse or Ice Beam.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
re: toxicroak - yeah toxicroak is seriously underrated as fuck atm. im pretty sure its the only pokemon in the game that can claim to /counter/ crocune and check all of heracross, mienshao, and mega blastoise. actually i guess whimsicott can too, but i dont think it can reliably beat cune since it'll spam scald to try to burn it early. it's also a toxic spikes absorber which is incredible for any type of team lacking a defogger (you really dont want your spinner poisoned).

anyway, i prefer black sludge on toxi, simply because it makes it stay alive for longer and i like the ability to consistently check the aforementioned threats.

re: cloyster - barbaracle.

that is all.

What does koko know anyway. He uses PJab instead of the 80% accurate (with same chance to poison) Gunk Shot on an offensive mon. That's like using Rock Slide on SD Terrakion.

LOL wtf i thought it was 70 acc

It was last gen. Times change.

Last edited:
For Weavile, what all out attacking moveset do you guys end up using?

I use:
Knock Off
Ice Shard
Low Kick
Ice Punch

But sometimes I feel like:

Knock Off
Ice Punch
Ice Shard
Pursuit

is more useful.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I personally don't like using dual Ice-type STAB Weavile. I definitely would not give up Pursuit so I could run a secondary Ice-type attack; I'd much rather give it up for Swords Dance. I'd say that...

Weavile @ Life Orb
ability and stuff
evs and nature max / max etc
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard / Ice Punch
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance / Pursuit

...this Weavile set is what works best for me personally. Running two Ice STABs seems very redundant, and while useful in some rare cases, I think Low Kick can come in handy more often due to it's coverage against Dark- and Steel-types. Also with the toss-up between SD and Pursuit, it basically comes down to wether you want Weavile to sweep or kill the Celebi so your Suicune (or something) can sweep =]

Edit@ below: it's mostly because of how threatening the combination of Knock Off + Low Kick is against most of the "counters" Weavile has.

Last edited:
I don't like running Low Kick at all on Weavile to be honest, especially considering it gets brick break. The only things you're really going to hit with low kick are mega-aggron, cobalion, and kyurem. All the other steel types in the tier are hit harder by knock off and most of the dark types you want to hit are hit harder by brick break anyway.

Notably, Mega-houndoom avoids the OHKO after rocks from low kick but not from brick break, while Mega-absol is only OHKO'd by low kick if rocks are up, while brick break OHKOs 100% of the time (incidentally ice punch will also OHKO if rocks are up and fail to OHKO if they aren't).

Ernesto edit: It also hits Mega Blaster slightly stronger, which /could/ occasionally make a difference (I doubt it, but if you Knock Off the first time against normal Blastoise, +2 Low Kick will ensure the KO next time on Bold Blaster, Knock Off not always). Oh, and it's stronger against Forry too assuming you Knock Off - switch out - SD next time.

I don't like running Low Kick at all on Weavile to be honest, especially considering it gets brick break. The only things you're really going to hit with low kick are mega-aggron, cobalion, and kyurem. All the other steel types in the tier are hit harder by knock off and most of the dark types you want to hit are hit harder by brick break anyway.

Notably, Mega-houndoom avoids the OHKO after rocks from low kick but not from brick break, while Mega-absol is only OHKO'd by low kick if rocks are up, while brick break OHKOs 100% of the time (incidentally ice punch will also OHKO if rocks are up and fail to OHKO if they aren't).
Be real and use Specs HP Fighting

Yeah I have been testing with Brick Break. I was one of those guys who thought Low Kick is surperior 100% of the time but... most of the time when Low Kick hits harder it fails to make much of a difference and you should probably GTFO anyway:

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Brick Break vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 120-143 (49.5 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 161-190 (66.5 - 78.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 74-88 (21.5 - 25.5%) -- 42.8% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 115-136 (33.4 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 208-247 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 333-393 (72.2 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

All of these can OHKO you with a move of their choice, so you are only hitting them on the switch-in anyway. Brick Break on the other hand is more consistent and can allow you to kill lighter targets with ease.

Have I been the only one running Will-o-Wisp on Mega Absol? I've used mixed Swords Dance and all-out attacker on Mega Absol, but this set has actually brought me the most success.
Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 228 HP / 28 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Play Rough
Yeah. Investing bulk into Mega Absol. What am I thinking right? Well this set is mainly designed to force switches and cripple physical attackers while sweeping with Swords Dance. It does all three roles effectively. You don't need to invest into Attack that much since you're very likely to be able to set up a Swords Dance with this set and Mega Absol's attack is already quite high. Play Rough covers Dark and Fighting types, making them difficult to switch into Mega Absol, leaving Fairies as Mega Absol's only issue. Florges is Mega Absol's biggest problem, but it still takes a good amount of damage from Play Rough after Swords Dance. (+2 28 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 257-303 (71.3 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)
Can it survive anything with its naturally poor bulk, even if the enemy is burned? Yeah. Don't expect it to take on Mienshao or Darmanitan head on, but just take a look at some of this:
252+ Atk burned Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 171-202 (52.1 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk burned Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 135-165 (41.1 - 50.3%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk burned Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 90-106 (27.4 - 32.3%) -- 74.6% chance to 3HKO after sandstorm damage
252+ Atk burned Toxicroak Drain Punch vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 178-210 (54.2 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Keep in mind that Absol would normally switch out after it burns something or go for a Swords Dance it is a 3HKO or less.

I'll admit, this doesn't look that great on paper (or on a screen rather), but it really does work. Try it for yourselves before you inevitably knock this down.
this was the set i used to reach #4 in the ladder. however, i used max attack adamant, it is much better. for sweeping, absol just needs sucker punch and play rough, really. will-o-wisp is good to catch that physical wall like hippowdon on the switch, and it makes it harder for random counters to switch-in, not to mention you can use it on the scarf cross/shao that tend to switch predicting an SP or SD. still, run 252 atk adamant because 329 already outspeeds any wall, while you'll just spam sucker punch vs offensive teams.

How are you guys going about checking Weavile from running rampant? I've been using PDef Forretress with Rocky Helmet, who can chop off a nice 52% over two moves if you switch in on LO Weavile on anything but Knock Off. At that point, with Rocks or maybe a layer or two of Spikes he'll beat himself to death, or I Volt Switch into my scarfer and KO with that.

If you're not using SD Weavile and you're at LEAST at +4, just get the hell out of dodge when you see Mega Aggron. Barring predicting a switch-in before he Mega Evolves and tagging him with Low Kick (Brick Break barely 2HKOs 252/252+ Aggron before the boost), there is pretty much jack-all you can do to him and you're wasting Weavile by hitting him for (at best) a paltry 32%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)