CAP 18 CAP 18 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is some complementary art for my volcanic vent crab.

http://imageshack.com/a/img841/6611/wps2.jpg

I tried to emphasize the fire element a bit more, by having the claws resemble flames, and giving the vent some fiery cracks. Also, the eyes are yellow colour now instead of purple. That does seem to flow better with the design, as it has better contrast to the surrounding grey, but the lack of purple means the coloursheme will look rather monotonous. Still trying to figure out ways to add purple without going against the concept.

I'm actually considering using the bottom left pose in my main design, as it looks a lot more dynamic than the current one. Though not seeing the vent fully might be an issue.. :/
I like the new color scheme and the top picture with the smoke shooting directly upwards. If you make the claws a little smaller, you could see the vent better and it could differentiate it a little more from the other crab mons.

I'm not a good artist, but I thought that I might leave some reviews here:
Knirp: I definitely like your design. I'm a little bit confused as to what's happening just right of the head: I think the color changes to white, but it blends in with the background a lot. Maybe change the color of that, or add shading or something
Kingriolu: The problem is that hummingbirds naturally bring up Flying-type images, so maybe you could try to emphasize the 'fish' portion of it, perhaps with fiery fins instead of wings.
Sgt.Moose: A really creative and awesome design. The tongue-hose is a little bit confusing; maybe you could try to flatten it a little bit more to make it seem more like a tongue.
The Steam Punk: Great idea for a design. The patterns on the urchin's body make it seem really busy, perhaps tone them down a bit.
Dragonblaze052: Your design looks a lot like Carracosta right now. To remedy that, perhaps make the volcano's base more earth-colored, and add more lava dripping down.
Shadowshocker: A great, well-made design, but honestly the similarities with Clawitzer, especially shiny Clawitzer, are a little bit off-putting.
Cutie Caitlyn: The flames seem a little bit tacked on to the jaws. Maybe show some fire inside the shark, coming out of the gills.
Golurkyourself: This is an amazing design with a really great basis, probably my favorite so far. The current pose is a bit confusing – it seems to be pulling its tentacles back, almost as if it's encircling its head. I'd love to see some other poses of this design.
viiragon: The design really doesn't look Water-type, more like pure Fire or Fire/Rock. Definitely try to find some water imagery... maybe the creature could be a water nymph or something?
Mektar: Really great concept, just try to emphasize the Water/Fire imagery more. Maybe make the tear a stream of water, or the veins popping out be small geysers of fire.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here are some development sketches for hydrant-pup!
It appears almost identical to a fire hydrant when it's asleep or at rest. In fire-fighting mode it stands upright and shoots powerful water blasts from its arms. In fighting-with-fire mode it stands on all fours and can produce flames from the top of its head. Its fire/water typing make it super resistant to fire and able to understand and to an extent control external fire sources, so it is often used by fire and rescue services. In small towns it can sometimes single handedly perform this role. It is also excellent and managing controlled and uncontrolled forest fires.

And some older messier sketches here and here!

http://i.imgur.com/PVXnC3Z.jpg
psg edit: Warning: huge file > 500 kB

(To view it would be best to do so in a new tab for now, I'll reconfigure it in imgur tomorrow.) Current first draft of a design based on male "king crowntail" bettas, lionfish, and the Hawaiian god of fishes, Pimoe. "It adorns its crown with the scales of conspecifics it has defeated in aggressive encounters. It can swim equally well through water and lava flows."
If you like this design, please stay tuned for a final draft update Wednesdayish!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse me for the (somewhat) forum hogging, but I felt this update deserved a post of its own.
Seeing as the (maybe a bit too) flamboyant third iteration of my clownfishmon didn't receive so much attention, I figured I should go back to the drawing board again. However, because I thought the design certainly had some positive points - the head and hair mostly - I didn't feel like it was necessary to start from scratch.

I wanted to give the clown fish concept at least one more chance;)
So here's the newest iteration of my Clown/Joker/Harlequin Fish………mon!

Clownfishmon love to gamble and can often be found at the slot machines in the Game Corner. You might also find them in tall grass, where they enjoy bullying Mr. Mime.

Even though they love to play games, they often lack the attention span to win. Many scorched pawniard have been found lying near public chess boards as a result.

------------------------------
Typing:

Water/Fire (it's a clown fish… with burning clown's hair)

Main references:

(Black) clown fish, clowns, harlequins, jesters, jokers, mime artists etc… and card games

Changes:

- I changed the color palette to resemble black clown fish instead of the orange ones that I referenced in the previous designs. It gives the fish a darker/tougher vibe and fits a lot better with the second big adjustment:

- I introduced a more harlequin/joker -esque theme by changing the four fins (feet/hands) into the four main card game symbols.

Fins:

While the heart and spade simply function as two fins to stand on, the clover and diamond serve a more specialized purpose.

The clownfishmon can use its big diamond fin as a shield to block incoming attacks (bulletproof?). It could also be used to execute several cutting/slashing moves.

The clover fin on the other hand (pun intended) works like those squirt flowers that are used by clowns, except in our clownmon's case, it's actually a cannon that can fire off strong special - mainly water - attacks.

I might draw some supporting art later, but my free time is very limited this week (another reason to post so soon after the previous one;).

I hope that the design is good enough to warrant some more feedback this time :P (although with all the awesome art around here I wouldn't even feel too bad if it wouldn't)

Alternative:
Here's a link to another idea I had earlier, a capricorn, feel free to let me know if you would prefer me to pursue this one:http://i.imgur.com/3nv8Ag6.jpg

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Mod edit: One image per post

Throwing my participation into the game as well, although being this late, my submission is bound to show some similarities to other entries. I originally set out to create some sort of lantern jellyfish, but as I sketched out the main body, I somehow ended up with something that looked like a pot, and thus I went a different route. Or more specifically, cooking utensil crab. Tried my best to not make it similar to the Kingler family, so here's hoping that the overall impression will be different.

Edit: Took nitrox116's advice and spruced up the color theme. Less Krabby!

Bummer, your crab is really neat, with an interesting design basis. To try to prevent it from looking too much like the Krabby line, perhaps make the crab, or at least the pot lid, gray or black. This would emphasize your design choice while differentiating it from Krabby.

GRs Cousin, I really love your concept for the design. What I would do now is try to emphasize the typing... the large + eyes are a little distracting, making it seem almost Electric-type. Perhaps tone it down a little bit, and add visual signals around the molecules that show the water and fire typings.

Last edited:
First off.
Knirp - The previous design was better. You went too far into some direction this one.
EnerG218 - I'm..not sure what I'm looking at? Try a different angle or some descriptive text.
Cutie Caitlyn - I really like your Slattern design. The fire on the sides of the mouth flow better with its design than it does with the shark.
Scoopapa - I'm not quite sure I understand the legs. I understand you wanted awkwardly put together, but it looks like it can barely move.
Wahrer - Interesting design. But you gave a lot of explanation that's not immediately visible. Try coloring it in?

Second off
Now that I think I have my >design seen here< nailed down (Silly or not) I can start doing some supplemental artwork

Ability supplemental art seen here

Here comes the Sun-mon!

Here comes the Sun-mon is a peaceful pokemon that travels through the wilderness growing flora with its sunlight and nourishing rain.
However, it is extremely quick to anger, and when the eye in its chest opens up, the sunlight becomes harsh and the rain becomes a torrential downpour.
Its peaceful expression is offset greatly by its incredible strength and violent temper.

Last edited:

I decided to go with the blue/silver armor coloration because I thought the green was kind of offputting and the gold was a bit too flashy (might make a nice shiny color though). I also added some little bubbles within the lower body to clarify that water heater cat's body is indeed made out of water which is being heated.

Additionally, I have some terrible fun supporting art showing water heater cat in various positions, such as standing awkwardly, taking a cool nap, ducking into its bulletproof water heater armor, using Water Gun, and batting its steam jet whiskers.

I definitely love all of the designs. Thanks for the advice on the hummingbird/fish, I will ditch the wings for fins and I am thinking of making of making a fiery rainbow as a tail. Now for some criticism(sorry if I don't say anything about yours, just tell me and I'll respond).
  • GUN6-Nice job on the water heater cat! This is definitely one of the more creative designs for cap 18. The only thing I find wrong with it(in my opinion) is that if only the lower body has bubbles, does that mean that the cat is half cat, half water? to fix that I think you should put bubbles on the paws.
  • GRs cousin-Excellent idea! Honestly I would love having that frog on my team!However, I would add more fire elements.
  • wobblebuns-Needs more water, I would have thought it was bug/fire.
  • knirp-I like the idea, but I think you should change the hair a little, it is a bit unappealing
I will get to everyone else in a later post.

Precipice

Thats bull.
is an Artist Alumnus
A more fleshed out concept of my viking-funeral mon.

Decided to go with the dragon head because it suits the boat better (tried both, serpent looks weird) and also brings more of an element of fire into it. Left the flames from the hull out of the design because 1. i can't draw flames, and 2. I think it looks better without them, the flames make it look clustered. Same goes for the front, I didn't like the big blue bust that was there before and it made it really hard to draw the pokemon turning its head, which I realised would be a pretty big design flaw and so I edited it and went for a more rib-cage kinda look, which also kinda fits in with how the frame of a boat is constructed.
Probably do some really quick support art over the weekend since chances are this will be my final design since I'm short on time. Let me know what you think.

paintseagull edit: image too big!
Precipice edit: God dammit. Fixed. Image is now 640x640 I think.

Last edited:
It's a slug
with a volcano on it's back
I liked the idea that UserOfShadows had so i tried my hand at doing it too
I'm so sorry

Mod edit: Read the OP rules regarding image attachments.

I really enjoy Magistrum's Idea, It's really unique. Just putting it out there even though almost everyone said they like it.
Well, Good luck everyone!

My design is just a simple and hopefully adorable bowl of noodles, with some flaming chopsticks for accent. It fits with fire and water, because he is basically a bunch of boiled water! Still not quite happy with the face though, but I think the design is pretty set in stone. I'm not very good at colors, if anyone has a better suggestion that would be great! Luv u all ~

Leethoof adorable! Perhaps it would fit the fire/water theme better if it was kelp of something?

psg edit: Do not repost/bump your design if you haven't made a significant change

Hi, I'm a bit of a lurker in this CAP project thingy, but I really like many of the designs done here, great work you all!

The ones that really stand out to me are:
Magistrum's Kappa and Homunculus (I can't really pick which one, they're both awesome)
Yilx's Sea Angel (I love the antics it did with luke and lati)
Bummer's Pot Crab (I think this is one of the best crustacean-inspired designs in the thread)
OldManDugan's Cauldron Cat (Really clever but i think I prefer the face of the first iteration more)
Golurkyourself's Vampire Squid (Creepy in a good way)
Paintseagull's Fire Hydrant Dog (Most adorable design in the thread IMO)

When I first looked at Fire/Water i thought it would be infested by fish designs. But no, I was provn wrong; it's really good to see a lot of variety!

Levitate was promptly eliminated. So from now on my design does not float, it "glides" across the ground XwX. Art will be done later.

Since I can't draw all that well, I'm instead leaving feedback on designs that stand out to me.

Mos-Quixote: I like your design a lot, and not just because you've combined Irish mythology and large dogs, two of my favorite things. It's a unique design that manages to convey both types without one overpowering the other. Nice work.

Bummer: Your design is another favorite of mine. You would think that it would be difficult to stand out considering the crustacean designs that are already in Pokemon, but your idea is quite clever. I like how the claws resemble tongs; details like that make the design as a whole better.

Wobblebuns: The design amuses me, but I think the color scheme is too similar to the Litwick line. Also, it doesn't really look like a Water type.

Leethoof: It's certainly unique, but I think a bit more could be done to really bring out the typing.

paintseagull edit: Removed comments that were inappropriate / ignorant to the rules

I'm having no luck drawing digitally (haven't drawn in ages), so here's an -extremely- rough draft of this herplord:

Creating this dude, I wanted to avoid two major things that a lot of multi-type, fire-and-ice sort of Pokemon fall under:

- Horizontally asymmetrical coloration as an indicator of type. It feels disjointed, especially if it's the only way for people to realize that's the type that design is trying to convey.
- Extremely prominent, natural elemental protrusions - giant icicles sticking out of the back or huge plumes of smoke billowing out of the back out of something that wouldn't otherwise need it. Something like a living volcanic vent would be one thing, but I've never understood the reasoning for tons of fire to be coming out of certain Pokemon, like Emboar.

I feel like the concept of a core-finisher lends itself well to a supplementary design: that is, a Pokemon that appears to fill more obscure roles rather than the traditional offensive-defensive or special-physical binaries. As a result, I'm trying to work on a design that feels incomplete on its own, while still having a certain poignancy to it. I tried delving into some smaller-scale organisms for this, even though the Pokemon itself might end up being pretty large. My concept's based on both red tide and noctiluca scintillans, or Sea Sparkle. Both are microorganisms, generally neutral in nature, harming other sea life only when their biologies disagree - they are not aggressive in any sense of the word.

Gen III's designs were a big inspiration: it's meant to be a little alien-looking, abstract in nature while still being pretty tropical. I'm using rose / magenta and cyan / aquamarine in the color scheme to be indicators that the role of the Pokemon in the sandbox is eccentric while still definitive. Coloration in the Pokemon world is subtle, but usually effective: the more dulled-out earthtones of a Hippowdon evoke feelings of hardiness and heaviness, while the drastic, almost harsh bright colors of a Rotom or Chandelure show off high energy outputs and an emphasis on powerful special attacks. The colors I'm using are direct inverses of one another, and have some overlap in the actual design - there may be magenta veins in the "beanbag fists" or blue accents on the otherwise darker mahogany face.

Biologically speaking, I wanted it to look extremely neutral, if still a little off and vibrant due to the colors and anatomy - the eyes will resemble the shape of eye sockets in a skull rather than having a true happy or combative expression. It's supposed to look like a species that just recently evolved enough to be fit for battle, and be keen and intuitive. It's still carving a niche out for itself, strengthening the cores it can and fighting what it can't make amends with.

The torso is a little bit thicker, almost shell-like in consistency, before tapering out into a thinner, almost kelp-like body. The feelers on the back are vestigial and flow around in the breeze; it does not have legs, instead moving around on its fists like a gorilla. The torso accents, "ribs" or more accurately tendrils are prehensile; they were what the species used to walk on the seafloor. They're capable of more delicate movements and are used for emoting, while the beanbag fists are used for locomotion and combat. Its beanbag fists are made of biological liquid armor - non-Newtonian fluids, or dilatants, that become ultra-dense in pressure and softer without. They can be used to shield or cradle weaker Pokemon or to perform powerful physical attacks.

The arms look a bit like raw muscle with just a touch of red tide, while the head is a crystal skull-styled take on an individual Sea Sparkle. It has no mouth, instead relying on its eyes, tendrils and large arms to emote. It eats through filtration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)