Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i ran sassy thorn in gen 5. I would run some fire and fighting resists and ferrothorn would mostly just soak up water and electric attacks. it's only good on specific teams

I'm starting a first-time playthrough in Gen 6. Is there anything I should be aware of "missing," or any one-time gift Pokemon that people soft-reset or RNG for (if that's possible in Gen 6)?
Don't waste the Master Ball on catching the mascot (Xerneas/Yveltal). The story requires you to catch them and they have a high catch rate anyway. If you faint them in battle, they just immediately get back up for another battle. It is impossible not to catch them. Save the Master Ball for Mewtwo, Zygarde, or the bird.

I'm starting a first-time playthrough in Gen 6. Is there anything I should be aware of "missing," or any one-time gift Pokemon that people soft-reset or RNG for (if that's possible in Gen 6)?
RNG isn't possible yet in Gen 6. But, the good news is all pokemon obtained in Gen 6 that can't breed (which primarily includes legendaries and baby pokemon) start out with an automatic 3 random max IVs. So, you still might want to SR on the legendaries (and use a nature synchronizer) just to get the 3 max IVs you want.

The legendaries in this game are:
Mascot legendary
Zygarde
A Kanto legendary bird
Mewtwo

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is there really going to be a suspect test for the Charizard Megas next? It says so on the PS OU room, but I can't find anything on Smogon.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yep, it's not next month though, it's gonna start right after Swagger's testing is over
I guess not actually...

#MattL: And before
#MattL: I ask you what you all think about the Zard suspect
#MattL: one last thing
#MattL: !roomdesc
The room description is: Happy April Fool's!

~haunter:we're not gonna test Charizard for ubers ~haunter

#MattL: so yes
#MattL: this was all an april fool's joke
#MattL: we aren't suspecting mega zards
#MattL: thanks to SS, haunter, and all the other room auth for helping me pull off this prank
#MattL: Don't even pretend
#MattL: that some of you
#MattL: weren't fooled
#MattL: :)
#MattL: later

I'm running a mixed sweeper Metagross with EV's 252 speed, 151 attack, 151 special attack. I need help deciding between a life orb or a choice scarf. what do you guys think?

I'm running a mixed sweeper Metagross with EV's 252 speed, 151 attack, 151 special attack. I need help deciding between a life orb or a choice scarf. what do you guys think?
First off, you are over the max 510 EVs. Well over. Also, 151 EVs in a stat do the same as 148 EVs in a stat. I'll help you once you fix your EVs and give me a nature.

First off, you are over the max 510 EVs. Well over. Also, 151 EVs in a stat do the same as 148 EVs in a stat. I'll help you once you fix your EVs and give me a nature.
yea i realized what i typed didnt make sense, my friend ev trained the metagross for me. he told me how he actually did it. 252 speed, 126 attack, 126 special attack. naughty nature

yea i realized what i typed didnt make sense, my friend ev trained the metagross for me. he told me how he actually did it. 252 speed, 126 attack, 126 special attack. naughty nature
I'm assuming you mean 128/128, not 126/126. Anyway, go with scarf if you want to sweep, because Metagross is very slow.

I'm assuming you mean 128/128, not 126/126. Anyway, go with scarf if you want to sweep, because Metagross is very slow.
thank you for your very helpful response. I appreciate people like you because i am just getting started in competitive battling and you remember how it was when you first started haha. :)

thank you for your very helpful response. I appreciate people like you because i am just getting started in competitive battling and you remember how it was when you first started haha. :)
No problem. For future reference, divide each number in an EV spread by 4. There is a problem if any of the quotients have a decimal.

Why did most commonly used special attacks (e.g. Fire Blast) get a 5 to 10 power reduction? Now Fire Blast leaves some Pokémon with 5% HP.

Anyone trading a protean froakie they don't need? I also need some friend codes of the friend safari any help is appreciated I'm not to sure where to post haha

Why did most commonly used special attacks (e.g. Fire Blast) get a 5 to 10 power reduction? Now Fire Blast leaves some Pokémon with 5% HP.
Special attackers kind of had it good. They got to ignore all contact abilities, and they got much deadlier coverage than most physical attackers did. True all-purpose special walls were also a bit few and far between, besides the pink blobs, whereas physical attackers had a fairly wide variety of checks, on top of having to deal with Intimidate.

Special attacks are generally less risky than physical attacks. Why? Burn, Intimidate, and having to make contact. (Not all physical moves are contact moves, e.g. Earthquake, and some special moves are contact moves, e.g. Grass Knot. But a general rule is that a physical move makes contact and a special move does not.) To compensate for the risk, GF probably decided that some special attacks should do slightly less damage (e.g. Hidden Power, Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, etc.) and some physical attacks should do more (e.g., Knock Off).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)