Metagame NP: RU Stage -1: Message to Oglemi, Nails, and Honko (VENOMOTH STOLEN FROM US))

Status
Not open for further replies.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
finncent1 , while it is true that Water Pulse is a little stronger than Scald, I think the utility Scald brings, especially to an AV set, makes it the superior option as the burn allows Clawitzer to be quite the solid mixed tank. (if Scald does inflict a burn, and you know it will)

@ p. much everyone that has talked about Trick Room. Yeah, it's amazing. Decided to slap together a team early this afternoon and it's amazing. It's p. easy to form a core of Slowking, Escavalier, and Druddigon. From there, you can add two of Reuniclus, Cofagrigus, Aromatisse, Exeggutor, and Cresselia as setters and any 1 of Rhyperior, Mega Abomasnow, Eelektross, and Clawitzer to fill out a team rather easily.

So many more things I want to try out. Raikou, Shaymin, Toxicroak, Kyurem, Gallade, Zoroark... ugh, too many possibilities.

It's really weird to find stuff like Reuniclus and Kyurem in RU. I know the tier isn't officially up yet, but they'll probably get suspected. Anyway, here's my two cents.
  • Hazard stacking might just be possible now with some viable Defoggers like Gligar and Golbat dependent on Eviolite. Knock Off will greatly reduce their effectiveness. Both have 4MSS too. Moltres has decent Speed and Special Attack. The 4x weakness to SR sucks though. Defog Shiftry is meh. Crustle and Froslass would make quick work of it. Defog could see less use in RU than Rapid Spin imo. And if that is indeed the case, Froslass could see a lot of playing time.
  • Two unique Megas -- Abomasnow and Banette. I honestly haven't used Banette a lot but Prankster Destiny Bond ensures it gets at least 1 kill ever game. Abomasnow is a terrifying wallbreaker. He also functions well under TR. TR could be a thing in early RU with Abomasnow and Escavalier.
  • Some really OP drops like Reuniclus and Kyurem. Stallbreaker Reuniclus is a pain to take down thanks to its bulk and Magic Guard. Kyurem just does what it does best, destroy stuff. As I said, I think they'll be suspected.
The tier looks really interesting as of now. I hope the ladder goes up soon. Here's to a great RU!

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've thrown together a TR team myself of Cofag / Aroma / Reuni / Escava / Druddi / Mega Abomasnow and its crushing things. Not a whole lot can take repeated LO Stab attacks from any of the above, especially with Aboma going mixed.

LO Hitmonlee is the biggest threat, as it is to any slow team, but it has enough resistances and immunities that it can be played around.

a really cool Pokemon that I've been using a lot today is Chatot. STAB Boomburst, with its solid SpA and Speed, make it pretty hard to switch into. I've been running a Scarf set, with Chatter, U-turn, and Encore. Encore on a Scarfmon is weird, but it lets me check set-up sweepers a lot easier.

I'm really loving RU right now just because theres so much viable stuff, even though a lot of the super high power threats (Hitmonlee, Tornadus, Raikou) are really hard to handle, nothing really jumps out to me as unstoppable :)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Texas Cloverleaf , yeah Lee is annoying as heck for TR teams. This is why I like running Reuni and Cofag together since both can tank a Knock Off while setting up TR. Reuni straight OHKOes Lee while Cofag removes Unburden and can deal serious damage with Shadow Ball. Not a fullproof answer as both are taking 60-70% from Knock Off and Reuni is really crippled by the loss of Life Orb, but it's one of the better ways right now.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm doing one better by running Aromatisse in conjunction, gives a third absorber for the HJK and doesn't mind absorbing a Knock off. The only major problem for TR is that it really struggles with Stall, as even the strongest attacks are only doing 45-55 damage and things like sableye and milotic can sit in front of you all day.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
new guys i haven't talked about yet!!

whimsicott is actually surprisingly effective, and i think it really has the potential to carve itself a new niche in XY RU. being the only fast fairy on the board right now is pretty cool, since that provides it with a resistance to the more common priority right now (mach punch / sucker punch) and lets it pseudo check stuff like hitmonlee (remember you have to weaken it slightly, since whimsi is a bit of a wuss). tailwind / encore / taunt / u-turn / moonblast / substitute / leech seed all are fantastic moves for whimsi for various reasons; i know people dislike leech seed straight up but whimsi does force a lot of switches with it, and actually gets a lot of HP back. i actually stalled out a few pokes while playing friends earlier today; while it's probably not the best set and not for every team, it's still pretty good.

tornadus-i is a pokemon that seems to have been overlooked but is really, really flexible. you can go physical with acrobatics + knock off + superpower + what have you, special with hurricane + heat wave + grass knot + whatever other coverage. prankster lets you slip in taunt if you're having troubles with smeargle / sableye (i'd advise not to taunt froslass; while i think shadow ball is the better attacking move on lass, don't risk the potential ice beam). tailwind is also a great, overlooked option on it, and can serve as a last gasp against dangerous fast threats like raikou.

( yanmega / raikou ) + dugtrio is something silentverse was really hyping up on irc. duggy cleans up the few answers to yanmega or raikou that there are (thinking mostly pokes like registeel, etc), and opens a path for those guys to sweep. i've been playing with sash dug in particular, and being able to trap and kill other kou or weaken bulky kyurem has been really vital for my team's success. nobody's really talked about dug at all, and it's astonishingly good with certain teammates.

last new dude i want to point out now is big magneton. i love the analytic specs set, and eviolite hasn't done me wrong yet either (nor has scarf, really). it has a few more checks in stuff like shaymin, rhyperior, gligar, but it's bulky ~enough~ and plenty strong to scare out pokemon like the fat fairies or milotic. specs is probably my favorite; given a layer of spikes or SR, it just rips through defensive teams (especially if you spam flash cannon and they just have a weakened milotic to tank that). scarf magnet pull is one of the few surefire answers you'll find to durant, too. don't let it get trapped by duggy, though!!
old guys i have talked about!!

still rather iffy on kyurem. it's strong, but we do have many checks, and as the meta stands it's hard for kyurem to get a leg up on anything when it all hits so hard and fast. it's checked reasonably well on defensive teams too by bronzong and fat fairy and friends. i'm interested in exploring its moveset a bit, since i don't think many sets have been used outside of special LO or special lefties with subroost, so we'll see.

confirming the absolute dominance of hitmonlee. reckless hjk is absurd, and the few theorymonned defensive answers that were brought up in #rarelyused tend to suffer from badness syndrome. also re-confirming that jellicent is rather mediocre - there's little unique about it that really warrants its use this metagame. i still want to try out scarf water spout since that sounds kinda fun, but eh.
couple cool cores worth trying that ive used:

zoroark + hitmonlee
venomoth + (any two of raikou / tornadus / magneton / exploud / kyurem / wutevz)
(raikou / yanmega) + dugtrio
tailwind tornadus-i + specs exploud
n_n

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, I guess I'll pimp some stuff that I have been playing with as that seems to be the trend. One mon I feel people really underestimate, and even I am guilty of this is Shuckle, as it is probably the best sticky web setter in the tier right now due to the fact it has access to sturdy, allowing it to forgo a focus sash for mental herb making it's sticky web almost unstoppable (watch out for Xatu). Shuckle also has access to rocks making it a pretty neat pokemon in the tier as it gives you two hazards in one slot, with encore, it punishes set up moves but be extra generous in using this move, I got swept by a CM Raikou cause I encored the CM after the sub instead of the sub :x.

Chatot I feel will actually be usable this gen, not a top threat in RU or very common but, it will have a legitimate niche, and it deserves some usage. Much like Exploud, it has access to Boomburst a 140 BP STAB normal move that hits through sub it also has a one point higher SpA, and a really nice base speed of 91. This allows it to outspeed threatening pokemon like Venomoth often seen in the first slot and disrupt them. It also has a secondary STAB to abuse unlike Exploud, and possibly the most annoying move ever in Chatter, a 65 BP special flying move with a 100% confusion rate. I personally have been running Sub / Encore / Chatter / Boomburst @ LO and really actually having some success with sticky web support. I know other people have been using a choice scarf Chatot with Chatter / Boomburst / U turn / Encore which can still disrupt set up sweepers while also revenge killing and pivoting.

Confirming the above, Whimsicott is actually like really good rn in RU it has pro typing and an obnoxious move pool / ability (SV's whimsi makes me cry). It is also true that Tornadus is one of the best pokemon in the tier due to the fact it can go Physical Defiant, Special Prankster, Rain Support Prankster, and mixed with a ton of high power coverage.

Speaking of Rain Support Tornadus I've actually found rain to be REALLY threatening in this meta, Tornadus + Uxie setting up rain for Kabutops / Ludicolo is threatening, in fact common RU beta teams really struggle with Ludicolo unless they are running Kyurem, which I've found is the most troubling pokemon to rain teams. This meta is really fun rn, and all types of teams are viable, even stall teams, cool meta right now, hopefully it only gets better n_n.

Maybe Armaldo will see some love LOL

But in all seriousness, this should be a great tier. It is practically made for Trick Room with several good TR setters plus Escavalier and Rhyperior as extremely hard-hitting physical attackers and Mega Abomasnow as a special/mixed attacker.
Well Armaldo could be a thing with assault vest and swift swim for rain teams but Kabutops already exists for rian spinning.

just had a great match with a guy in the RU room - http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-uu-105992145 (123 turns so yeah long match)
loads of mindgames and predictions and shit, knew i had to keep cress around to win. managed to do just that and get a solid late-game sweep in. just shows how important psyshock is on cm cress

im really liking cm cress atm. its incredibly bulky physically and specially (60% from cb emboar flare blitz WITH NO HP OR DEFENSE INVESTMENT 9.9), and after a few calm minds (which are easy to set up) the special bulk just increases even moreso. psyshock + moonblast is nice coverage, hits pretty much everything except steel types, which the rest of my team deals with quite handily. i use aromatherapy shaymin alongside this set to put some sort of stop to toxic and the like, which screws cress over otherwise. im interested in other more stally cress sets as well, like sub/toxic/moonlight/stab, or even subcm. this is the set i used though:

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Psyshock
- Moonblast

simple set. invest in defense to take physical hits all day while you take special hits with cms up. obligatory calm mind for a cm set lol, and moonlight for the healing. psyshock and moonblast are my offensive choices. psyshock hits opposing cm cress hard as well as other specially defensive mons that are annoying, while moonblast covers things like dark and bug types (not named escavalier).

try it today! yeah lots of people are using this already just thought id post the set

#BANCRESS2014 ITS BROKEN

Raikou got you down? Tornadus tearing you to shreds? After years hours of experimentation, I've found one of the best Pokemon for stopping those 2 threats, will also always finding a way to get momentum for you as well.
I present: Eelektross.

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off / Super Fang
- U-turn
- Superpower / Super Fang
- Thunder Punch

Eelektross has a base attack of 115 (the same as Tornadus, for comparisons sake), while also having 85/80/80 defenses, with its special defense being buffed up even more by assault vest. It can come in on any move that Raikou has, and beat at it with Knock Off / Superpower with almost no problem.

Thunder Punch > Wild Charge is because recoil is really really bad on something with no recovery. and Tbolt is weak unless you go mixed.

Another great part about Eelektross is that its very possible to run a special set or mixed set, with almost no drawbacks. I prefer the physical set cause it functions better against the top threats, but a set of:

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

sounds very viable to me as well. This is a big reason why I think Eelektross is so great, its sttacking stats and movepool are so good, its easy to mix and match to get the exact moves you need, without losing any of your precious natural bulk in the process.

Eelers works really well with Wish Support, so things like Wigglytuff, Aromatisse, and probably Alomomola, and anything thats really bulky can be a great boon to Eelektross. Haven't tested anythnig other than Wiggly yet :)
Eel is also great for getting in your own sweeper, with its really slow U-turn you can get in something like Zangoose, Hitmonlee, Chatot. Anything really frail but really strong and fast.

Hi.

I have been using stall lately, is good but not reliable kinda matchup reliant, a lot of offensive threats which are very annoying at least for my stall team like Escavalier, Sableye, Kyurem, Toxicroak, Virizion, Mismagius, Froslass teams, Exploud, PJ Hitmonlee, Slurpuff, Tornadus and Drapion mostly. Also Knock Off spam doesnt help this teams, at least in Overused you have some very solid megas defensive which can tank and work like "sponge" to Knock Off spam such Mega-Charizard X Bulky Tank and Mega-Venusaur while that RU only 2 megas viable are Mega-Abomasnow which is very slow + a lot of common weakness and Mega-Banette which is weak to Knock Off, so is a very spammeable move and very effective move overall but specially against more balance and defensive teams.

btw, a set that I did yesterday and is one of my favourite scarf mons rn:

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish

Scarf shaymin w/ Healing Wish is p.good, just needs a bit of support like Dugtrio/Steel lures, Seed Flare is super spammeable move when checks are down and Healing Wish help temmates like CM Kou in late game.

I've yet to play the tier, but if I'm not reading this incorrectly, Chansey is now viable in RU, which really surprises me considering how well it can do even in Ubers... Knock Off is obviously a huge problem, but still, this looks like fun to use.

Hm, looking over the list, Latias is in there too now, along with Cresselia. More special bulk that doesn't like Knock Off.

I've yet to play the tier, but if I'm not reading this incorrectly, Chansey is now viable in RU, which really surprises me considering how well it can do even in Ubers... Knock Off is obviously a huge problem, but still, this looks like fun to use.

Hm, looking over the list, Latias is in there too now, along with Cresselia. More special bulk that doesn't like Knock Off.
Chansey and Latias are OU both.

RU tier list to clarify:
http://pastebin.com/HTwUtC7M

Last edited:
Rain Teams are great with Tornadus providing Priority Rain and Kabutops/Ludicolo, Toxicroak and Escalavier (Shields against HP Fires) to abuse it. Mega Ambonasnow can be a bitch to them though.

I've only done a couple of shits and giggles matches but there is an interesting pool of pokemon to use

Braviary was great last gen, but damn did Defiant and Defog give it a buff. Its great to go to when you predict an intimidate switch, and amazing on a hazards-heavy team to play around defog.
RN my favorite set is:
Braviary @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Roost
- Defog
Superpower>>>Return because Flying/Fighting is really good coverage
Edit: also woth mentioning that jolly outpeeds adamant Croak

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not going to be able to play that much RU for the first few days because my desktop went kaput and i need it to be fixed, but that doesn't stop me from theorymonning/thinking up cores!

so anyways, one pokemon that has me quite interested at the moment is zoroark. While i think its frailty and reliance on lowish BP moves will stop it from being an absolute top threat, its good mixed offenses and unique ability will practically ensure it'll be a fun to use and dangerous threat during its stay in the tier. I can see both special and physical sets being viable on zoroark tbh, the latter mostly in thanks to the knock off buff. The special set would just go all out with a combination of specs/LO boosted dark pulses and flamethrowers, maybe even going mixed and adding a decently strong Sucker Punch to the mix. Meanwhile, physical sets would use the threat of illusion to get up a Swords Dance boost, then sweep with a combination of a boosted Sucker Punch and Knock Off, assuming things like Aromatisse are removed first of course.

Speaking of Illusion, the ability adds an extra dimension to zoroark, making a well played one a great lure alongside being a solid offensive pokemon in its own right. disguising Zoroark as a pokemon that wants certain threats that are weak to Dark Pulse/Flamethrower removed is always a fun idea, and with access to memento Zoroark can even help the teammate it masqueraded as earlier in the match set up for a late game cleanup. An example pokemon that might appreciate this is Belly Drum Slurpuff. Who with the ability to get +6 atk +2 speed in one turn can definitely swep a team once a check or two is removed. Zoroark can disguise itself as Slurpuff rather seamlessly thanks to the fact that they both take the same amount of damage from entry hazards, lure in a Steel-type such as Escavalier, and either cripple or outright KO said Steel-type with Flamethrower. From there Zoroark can come in later on in the match, use memento, and grant Slurpuff with a free Belly Drum and game ending sweep.

Slurpuff is just an example though, i'm sure there are many other Pokemon that pair well with Zoroark and appreciate its unique kind of support, i'd suggest they be neutral to stealth rock for a seamless illusion though. For a bit of food for thought, think about pokemon that might want say, cofagrigus removed.

So, what do you all think of zoroark? do you think it'll be a solid RU threat? What are some good teammates/illusion partners you can think of? Or do you think that i'm totally off base here and that zoroark will be mediocre, if so, why?

Lastly, i'd also like to agree that braviary seems p. solid, i've been passing around a team on irc that has a bit of a froslass/defiant Scarf braviary core akin to OU deosharp. Makes a good check to Shaymin too considering Seed flare drops give you a free SD (assuming scarf ofc).

Edit: physically based mixed zoroark sounds cool too.

Last edited:
Some of my favorite pokes will be great here, like defiant Primeape, Drapion and Yanmega. When will this be playable on showdown?

It seems there are few pokes that will be good wish passers and status healers in RU... (I mean together, not separately) So it seems like status will be wreaking havoc in this tier

Disclaimer:

I am new to the forum and what ever you read below are my views on a particular topic (Moxie Scarf Cleaners) of the new RU Meta, based on the tier list. If any lines are crossed, please point out and I will oblige as I see fit.

=========================================================================

So the story starts a few weeks ago when we were all geared up for Gen 6 RU release on April 2 (probably, which couldn't happen since a lot of work that had to be done for it), I made a few teams and was having a lot of fun with the (probable) RU tier, finally thinking that I may be able to ladder up this time. But then came a shockwave, that was SE critical on me, he had to leave the RU world.

• Krookodile
    Intimidate Moxie Anger Point
  • HP 95
  • Atk 117
  • Spe 92
I mean Moxie Scarf Krook was a demi god in (probable) RU. Though we have Sharpedo, Yanmega and to some extent Kyurem and Braviary; still Krook was like the best Late Game Sweeper according to me. An all star for my teams. (I am not very good at battling, so imagine the loss of an All Star from an underdog team... have you watched Moneyball? )

It was definitely tough to replace him, because once he got going he can clean up pretty good. I feel he has tough competition with Darmanitan and Victini in UU but he is definitely unique and with his other moxie brothers being promoted with him. RU is left dry of Moxie sweepers (for gods sake don't say Mightyena is any way equal to Krook, Honch or Scrafty).

So now that there are no viable (for me that is) moxie scarfed late game sweepers I needed to shift to two different strategies ( What ever fits my teams pants... ), one is SD sucker punch and the other is the age old strap the scarf on a heavy hitter. ( in my desperation I even tried scarfed Boar and Vire, both suck pretty bad )

SD Sucker Punchers

and

Decent Scarfers

Now, i know what the elite will say. I never run scarf on Kyurem or Raikou, that is such a waste of a good pokemon. I know that with your epic level of battling skills you don't need someone to wear a scarf, but for those of us who still need to attain that level of expertise and skill, this seems the only way to get that crucial KO.

p.s: If you sense frustration in the post, its actually out of disappointment that Krookodile was a nuzzle away from making RU and nothing else. Have fun with RU, I will sure try to ~_~ sniff!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)