Metagame NP: RU Stage -1: Message to Oglemi, Nails, and Honko (VENOMOTH STOLEN FROM US))

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gale Wing Srock said:

Now, i know what the elite will say. I never run scarf on Kyurem or Raikou, that is such a waste of a good pokemon. I know that with your epic level of battling skills you don't need someone to wear a scarf, but for those of us who still need to attain that level of expertise and skill, this seems the only way to get that crucial KO.
Actually scarf Kyurem is a really good pokemon (as is scarf Braviary!) the only reason you'll hear people knocking Scarf Kyurem, is because it has like 6 viable sets and scarf is probably only like the 4th best (Sub Roost / Choice Specs / Hone Claws / idk it can do anything). I will say that Raikou is probably not that great of a scarfer due to the fact that its unboosted 115 base Special attack doesn't hit as hard as you think it would due to its low BP coverage moves (and it has kinda bad coverage in general). IMO Raikou outspeeds all the things that you need it too without a scarf, and works better as a LO attacker, Sub CM sweeper, or assault vest pivot.

One scarfer that I think is really cool right now that I have seen people use with a lot of success is Scarf Shaymin, with Seed Flare / EP / HP fire / Healing Wish, as Shaymin can fire off a 120 BP STAB move with a 40% chance turn the opponents "counter" into seed flare fodder. Healing wish is really cool, I've underestimated the utility of a fast healing wish a few too many times ;-;. I'm p sure Hotncold ninja'd me on this but w/e its a pro scarfer.

Speaking of Raikou, I am of the opinion that Hidden Power Ice is not the ideal coverage move in the current meta game except maybe on a Calm Mind 2 attacks set. HP ice is mostly used for targeting dragons and grass types. But the most common dragon in the tier (Kyurem) is hit as harder by Thunderbolt than it is by HP Ice, and the only popular grass types are Shaymin and Whimsicott which you are losing to regardless. I have had a lot of success with HP Grass Raikou, which lures in and kills Rhyperior (well 2hkoes) and Gastrodon. HP fire also seems pretty cool as it can cripple assault vest Escavalier for one of your other pokemon while still hitting Shaymin and Whimsicott.

Chatot still underrated af

Skuntank of all things looks like it could be useful with all those psychic and ghosts. sucker punch and pursuit for your typical mindgames, and the ever-useful defog to differentiate itself from drapion.

I dunno if this has been talked about or not, but Sharpedo is definitely one of the best late game cleaners in the tier. So many things take a huge chunk from it if it hasn't been OHKO'd and non resisted, and if you cant take something out with it, it's one of the best Destiny Bond users in the tier along with Froslass, which puts mons that are able to revenge it like Virizion in the grave. Definitely one of the best mons in the tier imo.

so anyways who's tried out gogoat it's been very kind to me.

Gogoat (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Horn Leech
checks shaymin and hits really hard after a bulk up

Been trying out some stuff, and the stuff which I've noticed that have the most use on my teams so far are Escavalier (obviously, that thing is so good especially with so few fire types around), Shaymin (again, unsurprising - that seed flare is fantastic) and most surprisingly, Golurk. In particular, I've been using this set:

Golurk @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 HP / 4 SDef / 244 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Punch

Stealth rock is there because stealth rock, earthquake and shadow punch are its stab moves (shadow punch in particular gets super effective damage on a lot of things) and ice punch is mostly for gligar as it 2HKOs it but it can be used for normal/flying type pokemon too which tend to be immune to Golurk's stab moves. Honestly Golurk hasn't changed at all since last gen, it just feels like it fits into this meta so well for some reason.
EDIT: Forgot to mention, that speed is there to outspeed uninvested Gligar

Last edited:
so anyways who's tried out gogoat it's been very kind to me.

Gogoat (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Horn Leech
checks shaymin and hits really hard after a bulk up
I run this set too! :D I used it in XY OU VERY early on and it's really great in UU. I invest in HP over speed however and have Leftovers. I'll try this variant.

I have found Delphox to be pretty awesome in this meta so far. So far I've used Choice Specs and a defensive set so far and will try a Choice Scarf set eventually, which could be handy for outspeeding things like Azelf, Virizion, Raikou, Swellow and Floatzel.

Delphox @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Switcheroo
Delphox is pretty much a nuke here and a fast one with 104 base speed. Fire Blast has incredible power and you can screw over certain pokemon with Switcheroo. Since there's no Houndoom here, you won't get walled by anything coverage-wise thanks to Shadow Ball's amazing coverage.

Delphox
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Wish
- Mystical Fire
- Shadow Ball
I was absolutely shocked by how this set has worked for me. You only need 4 Speed EVs to outspeed bulky base 100's (like some variants of Subseed Shaymin) though you could invest more to outspeed max base 80's. This set utilizes Delphox's good Special Defense and its signature move Mystical Fire to good effect. Will-o-Wisp cripples Physical attackers that try to attack Delphox and Wish allows for recovery and team support. Shadow Ball, again, is great coverage, though you will be walled much more without Psyshock/chic. Magician is surprisingly useful and really cripples most Pokemon (exceptions being the number of Unburden mons in the tier, but none of those like Will-o-Wisp or Mystical Fire). Having no item is worth it, especially since you can just steal away Leftovers or something from one of the other Pokemon in a single move.

Been trying out some stuff, and the stuff which I've noticed that have the most use on my teams so far are Escavalier (obviously, that thing is so good especially with so few fire types around), Shaymin (again, unsurprising - that seed flare is fantastic) and most surprisingly, Golurk. In particular, I've been using this set:

Golurk @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 HP / 4 SDef / 244 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Punch

Stealth rock is there because stealth rock, earthquake and shadow punch are its stab moves (shadow punch in particular gets super effective damage on a lot of things) and ice punch is mostly for gligar as it 2HKOs it but it can be used for normal/flying type pokemon too which tend to be immune to Golurk's stab moves. Honestly Golurk hasn't changed at all since last gen, it just feels like it fits into this meta so well for some reason.
I use this set too, except with Drain Punch instead of Ice Punch and, yet again, a different EV spread. I like your variant. He's a good rock-setter. Assault Vest worked moderately well for me in UU as well, so I'm going to try that here.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't seen much
being mentioned right now :C Honestly, I have been using it on my team before the ladder went down on main PS >:[ and it hasn't been disappointing me. I prefer it over Escavalier, fair enough I lose the Knock Off but I outspeed Kyurem which is always nice!
Durant @ Life Orb/Choice Band(Stone Edge/Rock Slide only obviously)
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws/Stone Edge(Risk the miss) or Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
Pretty standard set. No complaints so far apart from Sableye. Maybe Gligar will prove to be annoying when I see more of it in future times and there are the occasional Shaymin trying to get it with HP Fire.

EDIT: Played a couple more matches and I'm surprised I didn't predict the Fire Blast on Skuntank but yeah... nearly got a sweep with it.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Something I've been having a little bit of fun with so far would be Milotic:

Milotic @ Life Orb
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 152 HP / 136 Def / 220 SAtk
Nature: Modest
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass
- Recover​

So, yeah, I find Milotic to be a better Pokemon to take advantage of Defog than Braviary. Primary reason being that any Sticky Web team is getting hit real hard by Competitive Milotic. Hydro Pump just hits really hard. Not a lot is going to handle it at +2. Ice Beam is super cool for nailing those pesky Grass-types that think Milotic is an easy switch-in opportunity (screw you Shaymin) HP Grass is basically just for opposing Water-types, but it's also cool for a more accurate hit on Rhyperior and the like should they be weakened enough. What's really cool about this version of Competitive Milotic is that it can still function as a decently bulky attacker without the boost. Thanks to the EVs and use of Recover, Milotic is able to tank out a fair few hits and heal off the damage. EV spread looks weird, and there's probably a slightly more optimal spread for what I like Milotic to do, but it currently hits the final boost point from the nature and hits 369 HP, a solid HP number that also rounds down LO recoil. Rest in Defense as there really aren't clear cut Speed tiers yet since the tier is... about a day old? lol. But yeah, I've liked this set quite a bit. Sucks that Shaymin can come in at will after a KO since Milo isn't taking Seed Flare at all, but it's pretty decent. As a sidenote, you can run HP Fire to screw over Esca at +2.

Also loving Toxicroak and the Froslass+Rhyperior core. Basically use Froslass to force Defog so Milotic can get off a Competitive boost and start wallbreaking shit. Rhyperior is bulkier and can hang around to keep SR up so Fire- and Flying-types can't have a field day. Toxicroak is really cool with its STAB combination and access to Sucker Punch. It only helps that Milotic can capitalize on Gligar's lack of offensive presence by coming in on its weak EQ to take it down with Ice Beam.

Reactions: DTC
So far I have found three of RU's returning pokemon still amazing. These pokemon are Tangrowth, Slowking and Druddigon all this being said I believe that one new comer stands above them all (or at least for me) and that is...

Crokoun (Raikou) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt

In this meta the old crocune set founded by his brother is now viable but as crokoun. This set easily beats most stall teams and alost all slower teams while simultaneosly being bulky enough to sweep against offensive teams late game. Not only this but Raikou when invested an have some pretty impressive physical bulk and after 1 calm min only takes 38% from a non specs kyurem's earth power. It bring the beauty of suicune to RU and is second to no other calm mind sweeper in the tier. Lady's and gentlemen crokoun.

So I decided to create a list of mons that seem to be at least usable in RU right now, since I couldn't really find anything like it. I'll probably update it as time goes on.

Froslass
Toxicroak
Gastrodon
Kyurem
Xatu
Gligar
Hitmontop
Raikou
Sableye
Sharpedo
Claydol
Milotic
Dusclops
Venomoth
Cresselia
Abomasnow
Meloetta
Registeel
Ambipom
Mismagius
Bronzong
Rhyperior
Yanmega
Durant
Jellicent
Skuntank
Shiftry
Banette
Leavanny
Shuckle
Exploud
Emboar
Amoonguss
Cryogonal
Reuniclus
Chatot
Alomomola
Braviary
Eelektross
Cinccino
Golurk
Dugtrio
Azelf
Shaymin
Zoroark
Escavalier
Virizion
Tornadus
Cobalion
Delphox
Vivillon
Pyroar
Gogoat
Pangoro
Doublade
Aromatisse
Slurpuff
Malamar
Barbaracle
Dragalge
Clawitzer
Heliolisk
Tyrantrum
Gourgeist
Poliwrath
Magneton
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Scyther
Omastar
Kabutops
Moltres
Typhlosion
Feraligatr
Lanturn
Slowking
Steelix
Qwilfish
Smeargle
Sceptile
Hariyama
Medicham
Spiritomb
Drapion
Tangrowth
Gallade
Rotom
Uxie
Rotom-C
Whimsicott
Sigilyph
Cofagrigus
Archeops
Accelgor
Ditto
Druddigon
Delibird :)

(I know this probably has way too many mons on it but I would rather have something awful on here than miss something good)

Last edited:
  • Ambipom
  • Kyurem
  • Tangrowth
  • Amoonguss
  • Cobalion
  • Rhyperior
  • Sableye
  • Raikou
  • Cofagrigus
  • Shaymin
  • Smeargle
  • Azelf
  • Jellicent
  • Milotic
  • Toxicroak
  • Sharpedo
  • Heliolisk
  • Ditto
  • Exploud
  • Venomoth
  • Gastrodon
  • Reuniclus
  • Escavalier
  • Gligar
  • Cresselia
  • Whimsicott
  • Malamar
  • Yanmega
  • Hitmontop
  • Drapion
  • Xatu
  • Banette
  • Abomasnow
  • Gallade
  • Cinccino
  • Alomomola
  • Clawitzer
  • Bronzong
  • Hitmonlee
  • Eelektross
  • Shuckle
  • Zoroark
  • Doublade
  • Froslass
  • Medicham
  • Slurpuff
  • Rotom-Mow
Thought this was easier.... it was for me^-^ Hope it helps some of you guys!

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Recently I have been running a Offensive Mega Banette set and its pretty good, it hits preety hard and with prankster you get to use some pretty interesting moves on it, the only real downside I see in it is its lackluster physical move pool. Here is the set In have been using:

Banette (M) @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off
- Destiny Bond

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • Ambipom
  • Kyurem
  • Tangrowth
  • Amoonguss
  • Cobalion
  • Rhyperior
  • Sableye
  • Raikou
  • Cofagrigus
  • Shaymin
  • Smeargle
  • Azelf
  • Jellicent
  • Milotic
  • Toxicroak
  • Sharpedo
  • Heliolisk
  • Ditto
  • Exploud
  • Venomoth
  • Gastrodon
  • Reuniclus
  • Escavalier
  • Gligar
  • Cresselia
  • Whimsicott
  • Malamar
  • Yanmega
  • Hitmontop
  • Drapion
  • Xatu
  • Banette
  • Abomasnow
  • Gallade
  • Cinccino
  • Alomomola
  • Clawitzer
  • Bronzong
  • Hitmonlee
  • Eelektross
  • Shuckle
  • Zoroark
  • Doublade
  • Froslass
  • Medicham
  • Slurpuff
  • Rotom-Mow
Thought this was easier.... it was for me^-^ Hope it helps some of you guys!
What is this for? Why do I not see Durant? ;~;

I haven't seen much
being mentioned right now :C Honestly, I have been using it on my team before the ladder went down on main PS >:[ and it has been disappointing me. I prefer it over Escavalier, fair enough I lose the Knock Off but I outspeed Kyurem which is always nice!
Durant @ Life Orb/Choice Band(Stone Edge only obviously)
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws/Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
Pretty standard set. No complaints so far apart from Sableye. Maybe Gligar will prove to be annoying when I see more of it in future times and there are the occasional Shaymin trying to get it with HP Fire.

EDIT: Played a couple more matches and I'm surprised I didn't predict the Fire Blast on Skuntank but yeah... nearly got a sweep with it.
Durant is uber terrifying. Nothing wants to switch in on it. I'd consider Rock Slide over Stone Edge because shit accuracy.

I can see Hyper-Offense working very well right now, especially in the form of 2 pokes that haven't really been talked about.

May I present to you...

Xatle

Xatu @ Light Clay
Magic Bounce
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Roost
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Att
Nature: Careful​

Xatu is basically the Deoxys-S of RU. However, there are 3 very nice things that give Xatu the edge over other screeners: A momentum move, Recovery, and most importantly, Magic Bounce. If Stall becomes a thing in this meta, Xatu would be very nice in dealing with it. Xatu is surprisingly bulky, and can take multiple hits while setting up screens. Roost helps Xatu come in later in the game and set up more Screens should the need be. U-turn is the icing of the cake, letting a teammate come in and wreck house.

Crustle @ Red Card
Sturdy
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Att
Nature: Impish
Crustle is the Deoxys-D of RU. With the Sturdy + Red Card + Hazards, it doesn't become set-up fodder while being a very effective hazard setter. If Red Card phazes into the right pokemon, it can set up even more hazards, letting its teammates destroy walls that it can't break before. Knock Off is used to remove Leftovers and Life Orbs, which is always nice. Stone Edge is nice STAB.

I believe that these two pokes, which the right teammates, can destory everything. I'm using this core myself, and I've only lost to Speed Ties so far (.____.) I suppose I should give the core I've been experimenting with.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Night Daze
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Sucker Punch
It's worked very well so far. Just for derps, I'll also throw in a replay. I haven't played that many battles, so its not the best, but it shows how easily Crustle and Xatu can set up. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-106249488

Thank you for reading this rather lengthy post. So, what are your opinions on it? ^_^

As a huge fan of the Blaziken line, I am pleased to bring you an Agent Gibbs and zefrank1 production:

True Facts About Combusken

(To be read in the voice of Morgan Freeman)
Here are true facts about Combuskens.

The Latin title for Combusken is "Sanctum stercora ut est conditus pullum," which roughly translates to "Holy crap, that is one spicy chicken."

Combuskens in the sixth generation have not changed much from those in the fifth generation, with the exception of having Speed Boost + Baton Pass which, now that I think about it, is a pretty big deal. With this combination, Combusken can now use Swords Dance and do some damage, and when it runs into a wall (quite literally a wall, like Alomomola or something), it can give its boosts to a teammate and let them keep going. To picture this, imagine that you are doing a weird dance and juggling swords while running on a treadmill that is getting faster and faster. Now imagine tossing those swords to a friend who must catch them, continue the dance and juggling, and keep running on the same treadmill. That is how the Combusken do.

Combusken has two decent offensive stats and several good STAB moves to back them up, such as Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Flare Blitz, and Sky Uppercut. This makes it a versatile threat on both sides of the offensive spectrum. This could be compared to a dual threat quarterback, someone who is skilled at running and passing the ball. Speaking of quarterbacks, just like star quarterback Peyton Manning, Combusken is heavily resisted by Seahawks. Seahawks are not Pokemon, but if they were, they would probably be Water/Flying type, which just so happens to be one of a few type combinations to resist Combusken's STABs. This is not a coincidence.

Combusken is one of only two SpeedPass users who can use the Eviolite, with the other being Torchic, who is not as awesome as Combusken. At all. The Eviolite is essentially the Pokemon equivalent of a bulletproof vest. Actually, now that I think about it, the Assault Vest is probably a better equivalent. I guess the Eviolite is more like training wheels since it's for Pokemon that haven't fully grown up yet. To demonstrate its solid bulk with these training wheels, a Combusken with the Eviolite and max HP has a little more overall bulk than an offensive Dragonite. That's not counting Multiscale, of course. That would be ridiculous.

Ninjasks do not like Combuskens. This is because Ninjask is arguably good at only one thing, SpeedPass, and Combusken sort of does that better now. Ninjasks often resent this assertion and cite their greater speed and Atk stats. However, greater speed isn't all that important when you have Speed Boost, and a few more Attack points means jack when your strongest physical Bug and Flying moves are X-Scissor and Aerial Ace. Meanwhile, Combusken's good mixed offenses and stronger STABs give it a clear advantage. It's an even sadder story on the defensive side of the coin. Just like the psyche of a hormonally distressed schizophrenic teenager trying to run a daycare for ADHD children, Ninjask is very fragile. It is more fragile, in fact, than Combusken even before accounting for the Eviolite. You know that if you're frailer than an itemless Combusken, you're really darn frail. Ninjasks are also far more afraid of Sneaky Pebbles. If Secret Stones were a Looney Tunes episode, Combusken would be Bugs Bunny and Ninjask would be Elmer Fudd. Huh, that analogy sounded a lot better in my head. Since Combusken loses only 1/8 of its health to Covert Boulders as opposed to Ninjask's 1/2, it is much safer to bring in and out. Needless to say, Combusken does the SpeedPass thing a little better. If it had fingers, it would be giving Ninjask the middle one right now. Actually, it could probably just use its claws. Lemme try to picture that...yeah, I think that would work. Kinda gives a new meaning to the phrase "give someone the bird."

Just remember: if you're in the mood for a kickin' chicken that can do solid damage both physically and specially, outspeed nearly everything after a few turns, and pass its boosts to a teammate when the going gets tough, go get yourself a Combusken. You'll undoubtedly have the biggest and baddest cock in all of RU.

If you don't get the reference or know who zefrank1 is, just watch this. You'll get the idea.

Last edited:
Without Mienshao, Hitmonlee can finally shine as a Fake out fast High Jump Kick user...

Also, looking at the pokemons on the tier, is there anything that can safely come in on Specs Exploud ? Doublade gets destroyed by Scrappy Focus Blast and Fire Blast turns AV Escavalier into metal junk. I predict Exploud to become the Nidoking/Nidoqueen of RU, a 'mon that hits so hard and has a crazy movepool that nothing can safely come in against it.
I was thinking the same thing. Assault vest slowking seems to be the best answer, but it still takes around 33 percent from a specs boomburst.

Aw meh gawd.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Shaymin in much detail yet! After playing in and watching a couple of RU tournaments, I've noticed that Shaymin was omnipresent, on pretty much every team. I can say with 100% certainty (and I almost never do that) that this thing is gonna get banned. It's bulk, useful typing, good offensive stats, ability, and access to Seed Flare makes it way out of everything's league. If it is a top threat even in UU, then why would it be in RU? Literally, I cannot think of a single reason why it should stay in this tier. Its only effective counter would be Moltres, and once it is removed, it can muscle past most other mons with ease thanks to Seed Flare. This is definitely not gonna make it out of beta.

Anyway, onto the other threats.

Although I havent tested it yet, AV Steelix sounds really good in theory.

Steelix @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Brave nature
0 Spe IVs
-Iron Head
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Crunch / Fire Fang

Assault vest allows Steelix to be immensely bulky on both the physical and special sides, and hit relatively hard thanks to Sheer Force. With Sheer Force, Iron Head becomes a 104 BP move, which is more consistent that Gyro Ball, and Rock Slide, Crunch, and the elemental fangs get similar power boosts.

With this bulk, Steelix can take even powerful Special attacks. For example, Steelix eats up a Fire Blast from Typhlosion and OHKOs back with Earthquake. Crunch hits Reuniclus, Azelf, Mespirit, Uxie, and Reuniclus hard, as well as Jellicent. Fire Fang OHKOs Escavalier and Durant.

Unfortunately, he doesnt have any recovery options, so wish and healing wish support from things like Mespirit and Uxie are very helpful. Furthermore, Reuniclus would make a great partner as he truly shines in Trick Room.

Let me know any feedback!

Jellicent is also probably the primier spinblocker in RU (if it stays), beating common spinners like Hitmontop and Kabutops. Its good bulk and reliable recovery also make it a great special wall.

Toxicroak is also very prevalent this generation, and for a good reason. After getting a Swords Dance, which is not particularly hard, it becomes very hard to stop. Due to its power, movepool, and typing, there's a good likelihood of it being banned.

Escavalier, like many have noted, is insanely buffed this gen. Now it finally has a way to defeat steel types with Drill Run, Assault Vest, and Knock Off. This things gonna wreck.

Reuniclus is also one of those mons that I think should not belong in RU. Trick Room is now hillariously good with all the slow, powerful threats like Rhyperior, Steelix, Mega Abomasnow, Escavalier, and Reuniclus itself.

Furthermore, there's many other threats Im interested in finding motr about.

Namely, Pangoro seems like an interesting and underrated new addition. Parting shot is a great move in tandem with set-up sweepers like Toxicroak and Tyrantrum,mespecially with its low speed.

Registeel is also mentioned quite infrequently, but is a great mixed wall that should find a place on stall teams.

Slurpuff is another underrated threat; not sure how well its going to do, but it seems to fit well in a tier with little to no fairy types.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def (probably some better combination with special attack investment)
-Belly Drum
-Play Rough
-Return
-Flamethrower

Belly Drum and Unburden make a very good combo, outspeeding and killing a wide variety of threats.

Speaking of Fairy types, I also wonder how Granbull will do, now that it has gained a Fairy typing.

Tyrantrum is also a great late game sweeper with Dragon Dance, and once Rock Head is released, it is bound to be an unstoppable sweeper with the potential to be banned.

All in all, there has been a noticible power creep in the transition to xy, but that is expected for a newly developing tier. Once the official banlists roll out and RU comes out of beta, the tier will probably balance itself out and many of the threats we're talking about now will be banned. ( As the case with UU )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)