The Next Best Thing, LC Edition

NOTE: I do not recommend using these sets if you are a newer player; please check out this thread, and then check the thread for sample teams or the forum for our LC analyses to get started.
Approved by macle, shamelessly copied from UU version
The Next Best Thing...
What is this?:

I for one, along with many others I'm sure, feel as though there is some untapped power within the LC environment. There is substantial evidence for this idea in the form of one commonality for most tiers, LC included: there always seems to be one or more new-fangled, hyped up sets that weren't originally main-stay or seen as "viable" by the community, but somehow has taken the metagame by storm. This can be seen in DPP OU (with Special Lucario transitioning to SD Lucario, Heatran eventually running items other than Choice Scarf, and the influx of ChestoRest Kingdra) in ADV (with the vaunted TyraniBoah now becoming almost an urban myth in comparison to Special and DD Tyranitar, and the increasing popularity of SupeRachi) and in BW OU (with the advent of SubSalac Terrakion, SubDisable Gengar, and ChestoRest Volcarona). Yes, some of these sets may have been found early on with respect to the creation of the tier or fairly recently, the point is, though, that there seems to be an endless supply of effective and potent sets out there yet to be discovered, especially factoring in metagame swings and the possible tier shifts. The purpose of this project will be to systematically subject LC pokemon to a collective body of research in an attempt to uncover these "hidden gems", so to speak, and hopefully spark some creativity throughout the LC community.

The Process:

Each week, I will choose a different LC Pokemon, sometimes chosen by random, sometimes chosen by curiosity, of which participants will try to personally create a new set for that is not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site. Participants will be given 5 days to create their set, with discussion about the particular sets being promoted throughout, and on the 6th and 7th day of the week, a vote will be held to choose which user's set represented the most creative and simultaneously competitively viable set to utilize in the current LC metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is crowned, the set will be archived in the OP and the process will start all over again for the next pokemon specimen.

What are we looking for?:

Specifically, I want to stress the importance of the balance between creativity and viability when picking a set to post for the Pokemon in question. There's a very fine line between a "creative" set and a "gimmick", and this project is not meant to produce gimmicks, rather emphasize the ability to think outside the box when using a specific Pokemon in order to maximize it's potential. Having said that, I would also like to deviate from simple one move / item changes. For example, using Berry Juice over Eviolite on a Chinchou does nothing to show any untapped potential Chinchou has because we already have a basic understanding of what Chinchou is and does, it's just now better at dealing with HP Grass Krow and less overall bulk. The same goes for using Fire Punch over Thunderpunch on Meditite, it doesn't yield productive discussion or results for the project. I am looking for sets that test what we think we know about checks or counters, so-called standards, and what it means to be viable. Maybe a particular option for a Pokemon looks inferior at first glance for that particular pokemon, but dig deeper and try and find what it might mean in the big picture, for the entire team.

The first test subject is..

Trubbish
Trubbish @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sticky Hold
Level: 5
EVs: 116 HP / 36 Atk / 100 Def / 20 SDef / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Recycle
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion
- Spikes

don't you just hate Defog? A quick Explosion blocks Defog completely (it's one of the only ways to block it, Pawniard doesn't count) This set works best if the defogger in question is afraid to switch in on a Gunk shot (when it's in 2hko range). In that case, depending on how much risk your opponent is willing to take, it's very easy to get 3 layers of spikes up (your opponent will think he can just sack the current mon and switch in the defogger to get rid of them) but then BOOM rip rip explode bye defog hello hazards!

i haven't tested this exact set, only a variant with Normal Gem and it managed to block defog twice (I had SR+1/2 layers of Spikes)

if your team depends on hazards, use boombag
Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 212 Atk / 180 Spd / 12 Def / 76 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Jet

lead Tirtouga, designed to get up rocks early game, then support the team with knock off, and check flying/normal types. Rock Slide better than Stone Edge cos it's enough for fletchling and krow or whatever, but idk if stone edge htis anything else better. Aqua Jet is prio cos prio is cool, good for general checking of stuff. 11 speed outspeeds most walls - might do some calcs to find if there's any better spread for now that'll do

reasons to use over dwebble: can set up SR whilst still checking other mons throughout the game cos flyign and fire resistances. most don't expect tirtouga to lead as it's usually saved as a late game sweeper, so can often end up with a better lead matchup. priority.
Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 52 HP / 188 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant
- Substitute
- Focus Punch / Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off / Gunk Shot / Drain Punch

188+ Atk Croagunk Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Carvanha: 56-68 (266.6 - 323.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Substitute is nice on Croagunk because it blocks status and eases prediction. From there, Croagunk can fire off Sucker Punch now that the opponent is forced to attack Croagunk, or just use one of its powerful STAB moves. Opponents that Croagunk can't deal enough damage to will probably lose their item before Croagunk goes (unless Trubbish). The given EVs maximize Croagunk's attack and hit Eviolite numbers.

omg Kiba beat me to Subgunk ;-;

Archen @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 196 Spd / 180 Atk / 76 Def
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Endeavor

Substitute avoids Pawniard's Sucker Punch so Earthquake can kill it, checks Fletchling fine since switching into Acrobatics after SR activates Berry Juice letting Acrobatics wreck it. Point of the set is Endeavor, which lets it go out with a bang. After it's subbed down to his maximum capacity, he should have 2 HP (or at least, less than 5 HP). If he's about to die, or they went into like Spritzee or Hippopotas, Endeavor them, die, and let something else take care of them. Easy peasy.

did people vote blara just cos he is tier leader or something idgi

Cottonee @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 224 SAtk / 116 Def / 40 SDef / 116 HP
Modest Nature
- Switcheroo
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Memento

Common switch-ins to cottonee include Pawniard, Fletchling, Foongus, Croagunk, Doduo, Ferroseed - all of which would hate Choice Specs.
Also acts as a 1 time encore for shit and still stops set-up sweepers being effective.
HP Ground hits Mag and Ponyta, who might not mind specs and trubbish who has sticky hold.
Memento when you have no more use for it anymore.
You don't even have to trick specs away if you don't want check out these calcs
224+ SpA Choice Specs Cottonee Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Fletchling: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO - you can calc with a more defensive spread i guess idk what is standard, but still probs KOs with rocks or something
224+ SpA Choice Specs Cottonee Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Pawniard: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (scarf)
224+ SpA Choice Specs Cottonee Dazzling Gleam vs. 212 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 10-13 (41.6 - 54.1%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO (outspeeds most Gunks)

Last edited:

Trubbish (M) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 196 HP / 116 Atk / 180 Def
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Gunk Shot/Poison Jab
- Drain Punch
- Recycle/Payback

Knock Off users giving you trouble? Well here's a new set that is sure to make any physical attacking mon has trouble blasting through you!
While most of the moves in this set seems familiar the main goal of this set is to be a curse booster while having longevity beating many physically attacking based mons. Gunk Shot/Poison Jab is stab. Drain Punch is so you won't get walled cold by steel types and lastly Recycle is so you can reuse your Berry Juice after consumption or you have Payback so you won't be walled by Ghosts. Overall the perks of this set is that you have an easier time in beating Flying type mons (such as Murkrow, Fletchling and Vullaby) and beating almost all fighting types (except Meditite and Croagunk) and beating most knock offers reliably.

Last edited:
Trubbish @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- Recycle
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion
- Spikes

don't you just hate Defog? A quick Explosion blocks Defog completely (it's one of the only ways to block it, Pawniard doesn't count) This set works best if the defogger in question is afraid to switch in on a Gunk shot (when it's in 2hko range). In that case, depending on how much risk your opponent is willing to take, it's very easy to get 3 layers of spikes up (your opponent will think he can just sack the current mon and switch in the defogger to get rid of them) but then BOOM rip rip explode bye defog hello hazards!

i haven't tested this exact set, only a variant with Normal Gem and it managed to block defog twice (I had SR+1/2 layers of Spikes)

Trubbish @ Berry Juice
EVs: 196 Atk / 236 Spd / 36 HP / 20 Def / 20 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb
- Rock Blast/Explosion

basically just a more offensive version of Trubbish that aims to keep its own hazards up. Seed Bomb cleanly 2hko's both Staryu and Drilbur, you still speed tie with Dril but it's pretty much forced to EQ in that situation. Rock Blast and Explosion are both ways to beat defoggers, you can kind of anti-lead Dwebble with Rock Blast too so that's cool, but explosion is probably more consistent. You could also use Drain Punch or Recycle in the last slot but those are already standard so i left them unslashed. i guess this isn't that creative, but Trubbish doesn't have too much to work with.

Last edited:
Trubbish @ Berry Juice
EVs: 196 HP / 116 Atk / 196 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Payback
- Recycle

Let's start with the Sticky Hold Ability, "This Pokemon cannot lose its held item due to another Pokemon's attack."
Because Knock Off's kinda common now on LC due to its gen 6 buff and its a common move for a Pawniard which has a 20% usage in LC.
196 HP / 196 Def EVs gives Trubbish a survivability rate of 94% chance of living against a 236 Atk Adamant Nature Earthquake from a Drilbur. also, A Knock Off from a 236 Atk Adamant Pawniard only damages Trubbish by 37~50% HP.
Now against the special attackers of LC, Staryu's 196 SAtk EVs Psychic only damages Trubbish by 50~67% HP activating the Berry Juice. A Psychic coming from a 236 SAtk Abra's fatal for Trubbish but has a 25% chance of surviving it.

Giving it a Drain Punch gives Trubbish enough HP to use Recycle after receiving a hit. Gunk Shot's a very powerful stab for Trubbish but with shaky accuracy. Payback's an attack for punishing switched in Pokemon like Honedge because we know that both Poison and Fighting doesn't work against Honedge.

~Caitlyn ♥

Last edited:
This is the set I use:

(Trubbish) (F) @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 Atk / 20 SDef / 180 Def / 36 HP / 76 Spd
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Stockpile
- Rock Blast

Stockpile + Eviolite + Sticky Hold + Pretty decent bulk can make this thing pretty tanky imo.
Drain punch is for recovery; rock blast is good for breaking sturdy and subs (plus coverage against ghost types).

Trubbish @ Berry Juice
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Payback
- Recycle

Let's start with the Sticky Hold Ability, "This Pokemon cannot lose its held item due to another Pokemon's attack."
Because Knock Off's kinda common now on LC due to its gen 6 buff and its a common move for a Pawniard which has a 20% usage in LC.
196 HP / 196 Def EVs gives Trubbish a survivability rate of 94% chance of living against a 236 Atk Adamant Nature Earthquake from a Drilbur. also, A Knock Off from a 236 Atk Adamant Pawniard only damages Trubbish by 37~50% HP.
Now against the special attackers of LC, Staryu's 196 SAtk EVs Psychic only damages Trubbish by 50~67% HP activating the Berry Juice. A Psychic coming from a 236 SAtk Abra's fatal for Trubbish but has a 25% chance of surviving it.

Giving it a Drain Punch gives Trubbish enough HP to use Recycle after receiving a hit. Gunk Shot's a very powerful stab for Trubbish but with shaky accuracy. Payback's an attack for punishing switched in Pokemon like Honedge because we know that both Poison and Fighting doesn't work against Honedge.

~Caitlyn ♥
yeah you definitely did those calcs with eviolite as trubbish's item. drilbur's eq always kills it with berry juice, so does abra's psychic.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Trubbish @ Normal Gem
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 20 Def / 20 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Explosion
- Gunk Shot / Rock Blast

Suicide Lead Trubbish is designed to set as many layers of Spikes and Toxic Spikes as possible before hitting hard with Gunk Shot or letting off a Normal Gem boosted Explosion. While he isn't built for taking hits, he has some handy resistances that will allow him to get off at least one or two layers of hazards before blowing up. Explosion will block any attempts to remove hazards, as most Spinners and Defoggers are slower than Trubbish, and it will also do some hefty damage.
Gunk Shot is a powerful STAB which covers Spritzee and Rock Blast punishes Dwebble, Murkrow and Fletchling.

Okay, I'm going out of town for a little bit, but go ahead and VOTE on whichever set you guys like best.

Trubbish (M) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 196 HP / 116 Atk / 180 Def
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Gunk Shot/Poison Jab
- Drain Punch
- Recycle/Payback

Knock Off users giving you trouble? Well here's a new set that is sure to make any physical attacking mon has trouble blasting through you!
While most of the moves in this set seems familiar the main goal of this set is to be a curse booster while having longevity beating many physically attacking based mons. Gunk Shot/Poison Jab is stab. Drain Punch is so you won't get walled cold by steel types and lastly Recycle is so you can reuse your Berry Juice after consumption or you have Payback so you won't be walled by Ghosts. Overall the perks of this set is that you have an easier time in beating Flying type mons (such as Murkrow, Fletchling and Vullaby) and beating almost all fighting types (except Meditite and Croagunk) and beating most knock offers reliably.

Trubbish @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- Recycle
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion
- Spikes

Trubbish @ Berry Juice
EVs: 196 Atk / 236 Spd / 36 HP / 20 Def / 20 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb
- Rock Blast/Explosion

basically just a more offensive version of Trubbish that aims to keep its own hazards up. Seed Bomb cleanly 2hko's both Staryu and Drilbur, you still speed tie with Dril but it's pretty much forced to EQ in that situation. Rock Blast and Explosion are both ways to beat defoggers, you can kind of anti-lead Dwebble with Rock Blast too so that's cool, but explosion is probably more consistent. You could also use Drain Punch or Recycle in the last slot but those are already standard so i left them unslashed. i guess this isn't that creative, but Trubbish doesn't have too much to work with.

Trubbish @ Berry Juice
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Payback
- Recycle

~Caitlyn ♥

This is the set I use:

(Trubbish) (F) @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 Atk / 20 SDef / 180 Def / 36 HP / 76 Spd
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Stockpile
- Rock Blast

Stockpile + Eviolite + Sticky Hold + Pretty decent bulk can make this thing pretty tanky imo.
Drain punch is for recovery; rock blast is good for breaking sturdy and subs (plus coverage against ghost types).

Trubbish @ Normal Gem
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 20 Def / 20 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Explosion
- Gunk Shot / Rock Blast

Suicide Lead Trubbish is designed to set as many layers of Spikes and Toxic Spikes as possible before hitting hard with Gunk Shot or letting off a Normal Gem boosted Explosion. While he isn't built for taking hits, he has some handy resistances that will allow him to get off at least one or two layers of hazards before blowing up. Explosion will block any attempts to remove hazards, as most Spinners and Defoggers are slower than Trubbish, and it will also do some hefty damage.
Gunk Shot is a powerful STAB which covers Spritzee and Rock Blast punishes Dwebble, Murkrow and Fletchling.

To vote, just post the name of the user who posted the set you liked best, like so:

user

/*optional comments*/
I'll post the next mon tomorrow morning. going to be loose with the time constraints to try and keep this forum more active.

Last edited:
can i vote for myself?

in case yes:

Chieliee

in case no:
Caitlyn

twas between Caitlyn and The Avalanches for me. but i really like the idea of running Payback, which makes trubbish more of a tank than a hazard setter

Last edited:

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Chieliee

He used this set against me to kill poor Timburr when we were testing for minitour. BUT BASED SCARF BUNNELBY COMEBACK :))))))))))))))))))

Looks like the winner is Chieliee! Congratulations! I'll edit your set into the OP when I get back from vacation.

As for your next subject...

We are all well aware of the sweeping capabilities Tirtouga possesses. However, what other sets lie within that movepool and those delicious defenses? It's up to you to let us all know!

i feel like the defensive solid rock set is too standard to be posted here. if I'm wrong, ignore the rest of this post and I'm reserving that one

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
EVs: 180 Spd / 212 Atk
Lonely Nature (+atk, -def)
- Shell Smash
- Flail
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet/Protect

No EV's besides Attack and Speed, and a -defense nature to give a higher chance at getting to 1hp

i believe i posted this last generation as well, but i feel like it'd still work with the required support, and perhaps even better now that Berry juice is there (although, on the other hand, Knock Off has been gotten more common too, and that really hurts this set)

basically get to 1HP with at least a +2 in speed and attack, spam Flail and win. Flail is incredibly powerful; for reference: A 1HP Flail is 1.66 times stronger than a STAB'd waterfall.

there's a lot of stuff that beats this set:
Hail
Hazards
Multi-hit moves
Status ailments (all of them, really)
Ferroseed
Croagunk
if running Aqua Jet, anything with Fake Out beats you
if running Protect, anything with priority that's able to tank an Aqua Jet beats you.

This is mostly a fun set and shouldn't really be used on serious teams, but i couldn't find anything better*. it should be fun to try and build a gimmicky team around this set though

*well there's this one thing, but meh, it still gets walled by the same mons, that's no fun

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
EVs: 212 Atk / 180 Spd / 12 Def / 76 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Jet

lead Tirtouga, designed to get up rocks early game, then support the team with knock off, and check flying/normal types. Rock Slide better than Stone Edge cos it's enough for fletchling and krow or whatever, but idk if stone edge htis anything else better. Aqua Jet is prio cos prio is cool, good for general checking of stuff. 11 speed outspeeds most walls - might do some calcs to find if there's any better spread for now that'll do

reasons to use over dwebble: can set up SR whilst still checking other mons throughout the game cos flyign and fire resistances. most don't expect tirtouga to lead as it's usually saved as a late game sweeper, so can often end up with a better lead matchup. priority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)