Metagame NP: RU Stage -1: Message to Oglemi, Nails, and Honko (VENOMOTH STOLEN FROM US))

Status
Not open for further replies.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Wouldn't Regenerator be more appropriate on this set? People would naturally assume Magic Guard, and probably wouldn't Toxic early in the match.
Immunity to passive damage(this will save your life vs teams with tspikes/random toxic)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>33% recovery when switching on CM Reuniclus

Wouldn't Regenerator be more appropriate on this set? People would naturally assume Magic Guard, and probably wouldn't Toxic early in the match.
Then they see you regenerate health on the switch, they do toxic you and then you have a time limit. Actually having magic guard is better than assuming the enemy will make assumptions.
EDIT: Ninja'd

I'm surprised Reuni has fallen so far this gen. The CM set is still monstrously strong in UU and as potent as ever in RU. Once the strongest physical attackers (also Sableye) are out of the way, it's incredibly easy to grab a boost off a defensive mon and continue setting up in the face of nearly anything that tries to stop you. The popularity of things like Escavalier, Rhyperior and Sableye make its life much harder, but it's still capable of setting up on a lot of things.

It's a stallbreaking set. CM Reuni NEEDS magic guard in order to beat defensive threats that carry a form of passive damage, else it becomes too easy to wear down. Reuni likes to stay in and set up on defensive things more than it likes to switch around, so regenerator doesn't help it much in that role. The health preserved by ignoring hazard damage, status and hail (which is much more common now due to everybody's favorite mega tree) matches or exceeds the health recovered by regenerator the longer Reuni stays in, so there's really no reason to run it over magic guard.

Last edited:
I've been using a Power Herb Solar Beam Magician set with Delphox. Here's the set:

@ Power herb
Ability: Magician
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252spatk/252spe/4spdef
-SolarBeam
-Flamethrower
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-106858631
This is a replay of Delphox making someone rage quit lol. This thing has pretty good coverage, especially on this set. SolarBeam just makes it really hard to wall because most people switch into bulky mons that don't appreciate grass moves. It's pretty much unwallable and the catch is that it doesn't have to be able to hit you super effectively with SolarBeam since it can just steal your item anyway. I've used Power Herb SolarBeam on a Reuniclus so that its Life Orb would be gone and Shadow Ball wouldn't kill. I didn't make this set up either, I think I found it on the old Delphox thread on OU forums.

I'm surprised at how underrated hariyama is. It has double priority in fake out and bullet punch and with guts it counters leads like smeargle and venomoth that try to put you to sleep. Guts also increases its attack dealing a lot damage to pokemon like milotic, escavalier and rhyperior. Having hariyama on my team has really helped me out and does more help than harm.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-106556893

This match it prevented me from almost getting swept after I misplayed.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-106673476

Last edited:
AV hitmonchan bess kyurem counter 2013

160+ Atk Iron Fist Hitmonchan Drain Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 282-332 (69.8 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

220+ SpA Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Hitmonchan: 129-153 (42.4 - 50.3%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

escavilier, aromatisse, and seismitoad make a really strong core. It also effectively deals with (not limited to) kyurem, shaymin, and reuniclus; the biggest threats in the tier. pursuit is useful on escavalier for xatu so seismitoad can stealth rock and toxic freely.
Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aromatherapy
- Protect
- Wish
- Moonblast

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Knock Off / Pursuit

I've been using a Power Herb Solar Beam Magician set with Delphox. Here's the set:

@ Power herb
Ability: Magician
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252spatk/252spe/4spdef
-SolarBeam
-Flamethrower
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-106858631
This is a replay of Delphox making someone rage quit lol. This thing has pretty good coverage, especially on this set. SolarBeam just makes it really hard to wall because most people switch into bulky mons that don't appreciate grass moves. It's pretty much unwallable and the catch is that it doesn't have to be able to hit you super effectively with SolarBeam since it can just steal your item anyway. I've used Power Herb SolarBeam on a Reuniclus so that its Life Orb would be gone and Shadow Ball wouldn't kill. I didn't make this set up either, I think I found it on the old Delphox thread on OU forums.
Most common pokes weak to grass atm in ru are heavy (like rhyperior), so grass knot is enough. And Fire blast is usually better, due to Delphox's power. Life orb/choice item is in general better than magician gimmick sets

Has anybody tried a SubDisable Gourgeist-Small set? It's a very good utility poke and spinblocker:

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Spe / 72 Def
Jolly Nature
-Substitute
-Disable
-Leech Seed/Pain Split/Will-O-Wisp
-Phantom Force/Seed Bomb/Will-O-Wisp

184 Jolly is to outspeed base 90s.

Also, I've found that physical Tornadus is quite amazing.

Tornadus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Substitute
-Acrobatics
-Knock Off
-Superpower

The idea here is to switch into Defog or something it can force out, then use a combination of Substitute and Knock Off until your Sitrus Berry is used up; whereby you spam Acrobatics with the occasional Superpower, outspeeding all non-choice pokes with its blistering 115 speed.

Substitute + Sitrus Berry is surprisingly good, as many people switch out, expecting an immediate attack, where you can just Substitute > Knock Off > Substitute > Acrobatics.

This pairs well with a hazard stacker, in order to bait a defog. This is like the DeoSharp of RU. The only thing is that I have yet to find a perfect hazard partner for Tornadus, maybe Uxie or Mesprit? Omastar could be an option, as it has access to all the entry hazards (minus sticky web), while baiting fighting and grass types.

However, defog seems to be uncommon in RU, so this strategy may not be as viable as it is in OU.

Last edited:

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Most common pokes weak to grass atm in ru are heavy (like rhyperior), so grass knot is enough. And Fire blast is usually better, due to Delphox's power. Life orb/choice item is in general better than magician gimmick sets
The only notable thing (I suppose) that SolarBeam hit harder is Alomomola, which is 2hko'd by Psychic anyway and have no chance of beating Delphox 1 on 1. You would only steal leftovers as well, which leaves you with a rather poor offensive instead of running life orb from the start.

I just tried a rather unorthodox, but quite effective Muk set I got from my friend:

Muk @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful nature
-Curse
-Gunk Shot
-Shadow Sneak
-Fire Punch

With max special defense investment and Curse, Muk can sponge attacks from both the physical and special sides, and hit back hard. Plus, with Gunk Shot and Poison Touch, there is a huge 51% to poison.

The idea is to switch into a weaker, special attacker (or into a defensive wall), where they will hopefully switch out thinking you have an Assault Vest. If not, Muk can still wall special attacks for an eternity. Then, you proceed to use Curse to boost up your physical defense, then hit hard with Gunk Shot. Fire Punch is for coverage against steels, especially Escavalier.

After a curse, Muk is pretty damn bulky.

Some calcs:

Code:
252+ SpA Life Orb Raikou Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Muk: 164-195 (39.6 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Kyurem Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Muk: 156-184 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Braviary Brave Bird vs. +1 252 HP / 4 Def Muk: 160-189 (38.6 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ Atk Escavalier Iron Head vs. +1 252 HP / 4 Def Muk: 126-148 (30.4 - 35.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Muk: 153-182 (36.9 - 43.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Of course, Muk still lacks reliable recovery, which is a major drawback, so things like Wish from Alomomola would help a lot.

At +1 Def, many physical supereffective attacks still punch huge holes in Muk, which is another drawback. Also, Rhyperior is a hard counter.

Thoughts?
That set seems good, it's just that it would need to find a good time to set up to actually do something. Rhyperior is becoming more common so being Rhyperior weak the way it is, is never good. With the right support, I think it may be able to do little. It would be easy to break through from common set up Pokemon and hard hitting threats.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Here are a couple of sets i've been enjoying recently.

This Drapion set was popular in early BW RU because of its ability to dominate Cress and close down other defensive threats/ utility mons. But as the metagame grew its niche became smaller and smaller. This gen however, it's gained sufficiant buffs along with a meta which is kinda to it, to make it a threat again. The first 3 moves in the set are self-explanatory and are standard for sweeping but the fourth move can be tailored to your needs. With Earthquake it becomes a fantastic stop to Toxicroak which is a terror at the moment. You may even want to forgo poison STAB to stop yourself from being walled by it. Taunt provides easy set-up on pokes such as amoongus, uxie, cress, tangrowth, dusclops as well as shutting down any kind of set up from gatr, venomoth, smeargle etc... and aqua tail is there almost exclusively for rhyperior, this does however make you set-up bait for the poison frog.

Drapion @ Black Sludge/ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Taunt/ Earthquake/ Aqua Tail

Mismagius is just great for neutering the slower pokes that have been pretty potent in the last few days, specifically gallade, escavalier and toxicroak. It's not a stop but it's a great check to these mons. I think i'll end up messing with a bulkier spread but i was being lazy and the concept here is basically good.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
AV hitmonchan bess kyurem counter 2013

160+ Atk Iron Fist Hitmonchan Drain Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 282-332 (69.8 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

220+ SpA Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Hitmonchan: 129-153 (42.4 - 50.3%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
That's incorrect as those are calcs for subroost kyurem using draco metoer which it would never use, use calcs for 252 specs kyurem with modest or timid next time pls.

This is the core I'm currently running. I know that it's not new, but I'm finding it to be pretty effective.

Mismagius @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunderbolt

Cobalion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
- Stone Edge

Now obviously, some prediction is required, but these two do a really good job of covering each other's weaknesses & checks. Mismagius is able to handle fighting and ground types that Cobalion has problems with, often outspeeding and being able to Will-O-Wisp them -- they also have defensive stats that compliment each other well, and a nice 105 and 108 speed, respectively. The nice thing is that Justified encourages the opponent to be linear. SD Cobalion or a more defensive set could be used, but I prefer Scarf solely because outspeeding shit that would otherwise attempt to check Mismagius is so important. Mismagius generally outspeeds things that give Cobalion problems -- Delphox, Slowking, Jellicent. I just really enjoy this offensive core because it puts so much predictive pressure on the opponent -- by abusing immunities and abilities, these two can really open up gaps in teams.

This core can have difficulties with Escavalier if your opponent isn't lame and runs Pursuit, which I can imagine getting more common as the meta progresses. Cobalion's stats are only base 90, which means that they'll be pretty weak -- hence, trying to get the Justified boost can become a bit too critical in matches. On Mismagius, you could run a coverage move over Will-O-Wisp, such as Thunderbolt to nail Moltres, but WoW is too useful in neutering predicted Sucker Punches and the like. Note that you can live a Burned Escavalier's Knock Off -- if you really need to, but not recommended.

I'm honestly really curious to see what anybody has been using to deal with Reuniclus. It's such a HUGE threat in the tier. I've been whoring it while I can on my team and the only things I've faced that have stopped it from doing what I want it to do have been Cresselia and Uxie, and that's just because most non-Trick Room sets that I know only carry Focus Blast and Psychic/Psyshock as their offensive moves.
I'm kind of tempted to give RestoChesto Spiritomb a go in the tier this gen for something to deal with it. It worked pretty nicely for me last gen, so I figured "why not".

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
The best way I've found to deal with the blob of jelly is Sp. Def drapion.

Knock Off Life Orb/Lefties, Taunt the CM sets, whirlwind them if you feel like it, and set t-spikes in the spare time or what not.
Just one of the ways I've found to deal with that thing.
Obviously it needs some nice wish support, but I have 2 solid wish passers on my stall (alomomola & lickilicky) so reuniclus is often not a problem at all.

Speaking of Lickilicky, earlier I found out earlier today that it is an amazing cleric. With the Oblivious buff, preventing it from being taunted is amazing. A Cleric with the ability of not being Taunted. To back that up, Lickilicky has some pretty great defenses as well. 110 / 95 / 95 in this meta is pretty good, making it a great Wish passer. And I thought Aromatisse was the only cleric in RU :]

Speaking of Lickilicky, earlier I found out earlier today that it is an amazing cleric. With the Oblivious buff, preventing it from being taunted is amazing. A Cleric with the ability of not being Taunted. To back that up, Lickilicky has some pretty great defenses as well. 110 / 95 / 95 in this meta is pretty good, making it a great Wish passer. And I thought Aromatisse was the only cleric in RU :]
Granbull is also a great offensive cleric that you shouldn't forget when making a team. Intimidate + Fairy typing + decent physical bulk + solid attacking stats makes it force out a lot of stuff and heal your team with Heal Bell, or dish out damage.

Granbull @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave/Toxic/Super Fang

90 / 120 / 75 / 60 / 60 / 45

Granbull's stats for reference.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Reuniclus is hard to deal with, but there are some solid answers to it:

Drapion: Probably the best answer to it. Bulky SD is solid against Reuni, but SpDef gives it more insurance.
Escavalier: AV sets own Reuniclus unless it runs HP Fire. Basically, this is the only reason to consider HP Fire on Reuniclus as Esca will otherwise destroy it with Knock Off / Megahorn.
Yanmega: This thing dies to OTR Reuniclus, but the Specs set can overpower the CM set with Bug Buzz. However, it will be taking serious damage as a result, so it needs to stay healthy.

Since people are talking about some cores they've been using, I guess I'll post one as well:

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Nature: Bold
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze / Dragon Tail
- Ice Beam

&

Druddigon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force / Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Atk / 44 SDef
Nature: Adamant
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch / Iron Head​

This is a fairly reliable defensive core for balanced teams. Milotic is the best Water-type in the tier imo due to its ability to play defense with Marvel Scale and offense with Competitive. For this core, I use the physically defensive set so Milotic is capable of checking opposing Druddigon and Kyurem. The choice of Haze vs. Dragon Tail comes down to if you want to stop Sub set up mons like Raikou and Uxie, or if you want to phaze the opposing team to take advantage of possible Spikes support. Both are solid moves, so just pick the one you like more. Ice Beam is necessary so you can actually do something with Kyurem, but keep in mind that SubRoost variants can PP stall you. AV Druddigon is an absolute monster Can take so many hits and is one of the most reliable answers to Raikou in the entire tier. The choice of Sheer Force and Rough Skin comes down to if you want to hit harder with your coverage moves, or if you want to be more of a pain (hehe) for physical attackers to take down. Dragon Claw over Outrage since locking in is a horrible idea. Fire Punch allows Druddigon to be an excellent Esca lure as the opponent will probably bring it in when they don't see Lefties recovery or LO recoil. It gets a Sheer Force boost as well, so it's all good. Sucker Punch maims Azelf before it can hit you with Knock Off or Psyshock and it's also nice for faster things in general. Thunder Punch hits bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Milotic, Slowking, and Momo (but you still don't do much to the latter) Iron Head is an overlooked move that Drudd gets and it maims Fairy-types thinking they can handle it. However, you still want to get away from Granbull as it has good physical bulk and Intimidate to nerf your damage output. The EVs hit the final boost point in Attack and maxes out overall bulk with some extra EVs in Special Defense. AV Druddigon is so bulky on the special side that it can take an Ice Beam from LO Kyurem in a pinch more often than not! (only 6.3% chance to be OHKOed) Obviously, Milotic is the better switch-in, but if you have no other option, Drudd can handle it. The biggest boon for this core is Milotic's Marvel Scale. Once opponents realize that Drudd is AV, they'll try to status it to wear it down, typically with a burn. Milotic couldn't be happier with this as its Defense stat then goes through the roof and a burn isn't going to be hurting it much. This core works well on most balanced or bulky offense teams with the likes of Shaymin and Rhyperior.

escavilier, aromatisse, and seismitoad make a really strong core. It also effectively deals with (not limited to) kyurem, shaymin, and reuniclus; the biggest threats in the tier. pursuit is useful on escavalier for xatu so seismitoad can stealth rock and toxic freely.
Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Protect
- Wish
- Moonblast

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Knock Off / Pursuit
Not that I disagree with you but the three examples you listed are all dealt with by Escavalier. I'm sure the core's good, but the examples you gave are more an indication of how good Escav is than an indication of how good the core is.

It's nice that Escav can switch into both poison and steel moves aimed at Aromatisse, and wish support can let Escav repeteatedly deal with the 3 that you listed before getting worn down (if say your opponent is running all 3 of those guys you listed, Escav would really love the wish support). Finally Seismitoad can deal with the fire types that resist fairy and roast Escav, though watch out for stuff like Solar Beam from Delphox.

Escav can beat offensive Xatu, but it needs to watch out for Heat Wave as it switches in. Maxed LO Heat Wave is a 2HKO, while Knock Off kills uninvested Xatu (I doubt the more defensively inclined Xatu will run Heat Wave), so yeah Escav wins 1 on 1 but needs to proceed with a bit of care

Finally, I think Seismitoad can run Knock Off, so that's something worth considering

EV

Banned deucer.
I ran a Defiant White Herb Tornadus with Acro to come in on Shaymin's Seed Flare. Plan here is to stay in for a while since White Herb is a one-time only use, so a spread to capitalize on that is ideal (which I haven't worked out.)

I ran a Defiant White Herb Tornadus with Acro to come in on Shaymin's Seed Flare. Plan here is to stay in for a while since White Herb is a one-time only use, so a spread to capitalize on that is ideal (which I haven't worked out.)
The only problem is that not all teams carry Shaymin, so your only other option would be to come into defog. Plus, Seed Flare only has a 40% to lower your special defense, and if that doesn't work on the switch in, then Shaymin would just switch out or use another move. Still, those two make up less than the majority of teams, so most of the time your Tornadus would be dead weight with only a 55 BP Acrobatics.

I would suggest removing the White Herb and replacing with it the Sitrus Berry/Substitute combination I mentioned earlier, since you can always trigger Acrobatics. The special defense drop with Shaymin isn't really a big deal, seeing that you can OHKO it with Acrobatics before it can attack again or just substitute.

Reactions: EV
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sableye as a counter to Reuniclus. It's immune to both Psychic and Focus Blast, so the standard Calm Mind set can't touch it. It only takes neutral damage from Shadow Ball, can annoy Reuniclus with Taunt and Foul Play, and it can simply Recover off Shadow Ball damage.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sableye as a counter to Reuniclus. It's immune to both Psychic and Focus Blast, so the standard Calm Mind set can't touch it. It only takes neutral damage from Shadow Ball, can annoy Reuniclus with Taunt and Foul Play, and it can simply Recover off Shadow Ball damage.
Sableye is a decent counter, but cant really do anything back. Calm mind set has max def investment so foul play wont do anything. And life orb shadow ball does over 60% to physically defensive Sableye

Sableye is a decent counter, but cant really do anything back. Calm mind set has max def investment so foul play wont do anything. And life orb shadow ball does over 60% to physically defensive Sableye
Well, Calm Mind sets don't run anything to hit Sableye, so it doesn't matter how little Foul Play does. TR sets are hit hard by Foul Play and might not even run Shadow Ball instead of HP Fire. Specially defensive Sableye obviously does a better job against it, but that goes without saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)