OU Entei

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
then why wouldnt u use cb lol

it's already SR weak and being able to espeed talonflame / dragonite, both of which have several common and easy-to-fit switch-ins for teams, isn't rly a compelling argument for me
Cuz talent.

E-Speed also helps Entei revenge retarded shit like Mega Pinsir. Yeah the argument supports Choice Band more I admit, but sometimes being able to swap moves can make a Pokemon more intimidating.

Tried out Life Orb recently:

Choice Band is generally superior like Dice said: you're SPAMming Sacred Fire 3/4 of the time and LO recoil with possible SR + Sand damage will rack up quickly, and it doesn't make use of its great bulk which other users of CB do greatly. However, getting KOs on things like Talonflame and Latios with a combination of Extreme Speed and Sacred Fire is amazing. Not relying on prediction for Heatran and Rotom-W is really nice too especially since they're really common. I am slashing Life Orb with Choice Band.

Anyways, this can get a 2nd QC Check.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell

Overview
########
  • Got Sacred Fire with the transition to XY
  • Sacred Fire has 50% Burn Chance and 100 BP which can cripple its normal counters such as Garchomp, Rotom-W, and Gyarados
  • Good offensive presence allows it to use this move well do you mean it has good attack? you can just say that
  • Pretty bulky too and resistance to Fairy-type is good type
  • Access to Extremespeed lets it smoke weakened fast threats and makes it a good revenge-killer
  • Hazard weak :(, but buff to Defog makes it a somewhat lesser issue
  • Fire-typing gives it common weakness to Ground-, Water-, and Rock-type
  • Poor coverage moves
    • The "Volcano Pokemon" lacks Earthquake and also relies on Stone Miss for coverage

Choice Band
########

name: Choice Band
move 1: Sacred Fire
move 2: Extreme Speed
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Bulldoze
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Sacred Fire is main STAB move and hits ridiculously hard with Choice Band and its burn chance gives it a way to cripple its switch-ins such as Tyranitar, Terrakion, Garchomp, Salamence, and Azumarill. MANDATORY
  • Extremespeed + Choice Band is a great revenge-killing tool
  • Stone Edge hits hard and provides a way to kill Talonflame, Noivern, Salamence, and hit Rotom-W for some solid damage on the switch No. Stone edge is ONLY for opposing fire types, spamming Sacred Fire is an icnredibly safe play and probably way more neficial than trying to snipe rotom for example with stone edge becuase itll get burned anyways. Nearly, if not every single potential stone edge target that isnt a fire type hates being burned whether it destroys their ability to damage anything, makes them easy to wear down, or both. Stone EDge targets are Talonflame, Charizard, and some miscellaneous fire types that can take sacred fire like Houndoom.
  • Bulldoze is used for Heatran as it OHKOes after Stealth Rock
Set Details
========
  • A Choice Band set needs max Atk and Spe
  • Adamant Nature because Extremespeed requires
  • You can use Life Orb, but it doesn't complement its bulk, but it can easily pick off switch-ins with the combination of Sacred Fire + Extremespeed
Usage Tips
========
  • Sacred Fire should be used a soon as it gets a chance / spam when ever you get the chance
  • Use E-Speed sparingly early game as it can make it set-up to dangerous sweepers like MEga Charizard X
  • Extreme Speed late-game when everything is weakened
  • removing ghost-types is good so Extremespeed doesn't become a liability meh, Gengar and AEgis arent switching into you under sane circumstancs, and giving either a free turn after a arenvege
  • prediction is one of the most valuable factors of this sets success as it conserves Sacred Fire's measly PP and lets it penalize common switch ins like Tran and TFlame
Team Options
========
  • Deoxys-S makes hazards for easy Extremespeed abuse and Entei forces lots of switches, so the hazards help
  • Sticky Web Galavantula has good synergy with this thing and it can slow down targets for it to kill like like? Is this from experience or di you jsut see Entei's mediocre speed and think it would be great with sticky web. unless sticky web slows down important counters and lets you eat them dont bother.
  • Mega Charizard Y provides Sun Support for it to send off stronger Sacred Fires
  • Thundurus-I can paralyze faster threats and can switch into Earthquakes aimed at Entei
  • spinners such as Excadrill is a good teammates, latios has good synergy with entei and can defog away troublesome hazards If latios has good synergy with entei please explain why
  • pairing entei with late-game cleaners who have similiar counters with entei recommended as entei can do massive damage to them for megamaw (entei weakens tar, keldeo, and chomp + has good def. synergy) and mega pinsir (double priority core iyss) to clean
Other Options
########
  • AV set can be used as a great mixed Tank for teams that struggle against Mega Charizard Y, but the damage output is rather disappointing and it is worn down easily, but it is a solid option to be considered on bulkier teams.
  • Life Orb and Leftovers are good items. The former however makes Entei lose hp which is counter productive with its bulk. The latter is good but Sacred Fire has a less signifigant damage output (cant even 2hko chansey)
Checks and Counters
########
  • Heatran can come in easily, but needs to watch out for Bulldoze
  • Many of its Checks are crippled by Burn, but powerful Special Attackers such as Choice Specs Latios can do massive damage to it
  • Stealth Rock will weaken it, same with Spikes, this thing will switch a lot
  • Rotom-W, Greninja, and Mega Blastoise force it out easily
  • Rain (nerf sucks but Sacred Fire and Flare Blitz won't hit hard as they were)
  • Moltres can roost pressure stall out sacred fire
  • Sacred Fire has a measly 8 PP, so pressure from the likes of Deoxys-D and stalling using Flash Fire can drain its PP out fast
  • Lum Berry Dragonite can come in easily and takes very little and kill a weakened Entei with Outrage
  • Infernape and Charizard X are immune to Burn
  • Entei has trouble breaking past Rotom-H as well
  • paralysis can ruin it as its speed helps outpace some of the threats that can do massive damage to it such as Mamoswine + Hydreigon
  • RestTalk Gyarados
  • Gastrodon (rare tho)
  • Suicune sets up on it
  • Quagsire
  • Vaporeon but its trash
Entei is a simple pokemon, come in, spam sacred fire to break shit down or try and snipe fire types with the right coverage move, and use espeed to revenge kill if necessary

QC 2/3 this looks fine I just had a couple comments there

Entei is a simple pokemon, come in, spam sacred fire to break shit down or try and snipe fire types with the right coverage move, and use espeed to revenge kill if necessary

QC 2/3 this looks fine I just had a couple comments there
You are QC? Lol, okay then.

I'll implement those and write this up soon.

For sticky web, its from experience just because it lets you completely maul greninja, chomp, landorus-t, scarftar, with a switch in makes it really safe early game once its up. i'll give it small mention when i write this up though.

Latios is immune to ground, resists water and removes nonburned chomp which is why it has good synergy, also lures in tran with eq so heatran doesnt need to worry about bulldoze prediction. Entei can switch into play rough from azumarill and crush clefable as well which is why it has good synergy. i'll add this to skeleton thx

LO is still mentioned in OO
In C+C you mention that rain nerfs Sacred Fire and Flare Blitz. I don't see why Flare Blitz is even relevant.

Also I feel the 8PP of Sacred Fire should be mentioned a little bit more than a small reference in C+C esp when you say you should be spamming it all over the analysis.

This is now written and can get its final QC check in 1 hr and 30 minutes. I'll fix up the skeleton, since people are getting picky about it.

edit: ready for qc 3/3 now

Last edited:
common switch-ins like Garchomp and Azumarill which cannot do much to Entei with its great bulk
Cannot do much to Entei *when burned*
it has to suffer from being walled by Heatran
Doesn't really fit when Bulldoze is a main move. Just say poor coverage or something.
Stone Edge lets you do massive damage to Rotom-W
I wouldn't say massive
Beware of using Bulldoze being locked into it makes it set-up bait for powerful sweepers like Mega Gyarados.
Give an example of something immune to Ground, like Dragonite.

I wouldn't mention Scolipede as a Spikes user, it's rather uncommon.

Other than those minor nitpicks, good job! This is very well done.

Stamp.gif

QC 3/3

Cannot do much to Entei *when burned*

Doesn't really fit when Bulldoze is a main move. Just say poor coverage or something.

I wouldn't say massive

Give an example of something immune to Ground, like Dragonite.

I wouldn't mention Scolipede as a Spikes user, it's rather uncommon.

Other than those minor nitpicks, good job! This is very well done.

View attachment 11349

QC 3/3
What about using Speedipede to pass boosts? I'd think Entei would enjoy the speed & power.

Hey, thanks!

I'll get to fixing those: since stone edge does 50-60% damage to Rotom wash I'll say "significant".

I'll just mention Skarmory for spikes.

Also, grats on pre-c badge.

Well most Rotom-W run a physically defensive build, so Stone Edge is only going to muster up ~40% assuming Choice Band. I'd just call it "decent."

The subjective nitpicks are real.

Reactions: trc

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
The whole point of entei is to spam sacred fire, using any of its shitty coverage moves is a high risk play. I mean bulldoze is literlaly only worth it if you snipe Heatran, whereas if you hit something that isnt your inteded target with Stone Edge from Terrakion it's going to hurt, so it's a same enough play to click that. You can run poison jab on Conk but that doesnt stop Azumarill from dumping all over Conkeldurr in nearly every situtaion making it a noteworthy C&C.

Greninja is a shit switch in though, I agree.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Acknowledge for a second that LO is slashed and you'll realize that Heatran is a shaky-ass switch-in at best and that using a coverage move isn't as risky as you make it sound. I'm not saying it's not a check at all because it is to an extent, but it should be put at the bottom considering Heatran is OHKO by a main coverage move. That's also failing to acknowledge that Heatran can't even KO Entei after SR unless it's running something like Modest nature + Earth Power. Heatran discourages Sacred Fire spam, but at the same, it has quite a few issues with Entei that it make far from the best check.
While you are right that it can OHKO Heatran, it is not guaranteed. Look:
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 376-444 (97.4 - 115%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 328-390 (84.9 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
I feel that it would be best to say that is is 2HKOd by Bulldoze, and I would put Heatran about half way down the list (and don't say "what if its physically defensive?" as that is just... bad)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Heatran should definitely be on the bottom for C&C. It barely checks Entei unless it is Choice Band. Unforthnately, the Heatran user will not know right away if Entei is using CB or LO. I feel this is very significant and agree that Heatran is a borderline check. Even Choice Band Stone Edge stings a bit.

Entei needs to use poor coverage too which will often be set-up bait for dangerous sweepers like, but not limited to Mega Pinsir and Manaphy
Uh, Mega Pinsir is weak to both Sacred Fire AND Stone Edge.

I put down Greninja as a check, though I'll switch to Keldeo now.

Guys, stop assuming that all of the Entei are Life Orb. In fact it's quite the opposite: Life Orb only has 12% usage. I don't like using this as an argument, the majority of Entei will be CB which is why I have Heatran. The are mauled by Life Orb sets, but I put a mention of them there. They are excellent versus CB Entei. Heatran is going to be the last mention, and I don't care about your stupid arguments. Going to quote Lavos Spawn (rip): "take your bad arguments elsewhere". Heatran will stay and wont be removed from C&C, but it will get last mention.

This is how the CC order is going to be:
  • Bulky Water-types
  • Gliscor
  • Fast Ground- and Water-types (checks)
  • Heatran
I'll implement everything else Spirit and Fuzznip said, though, and Mega Charizard X will be removed//:(

E: Implemented everything.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck rolling thru
Add
Remove
Comments
  • Alright, so before you get tot the analysis, I would like to say that the AV set is pretty much garbage. The set is actually horrible against Mega Charizard Y actually because Earthquake Mega Charizard Y is getting really popular (as much as Dragon Pulse and Focus Blast actually now) and I've been seeing a little of a few mixed sets lately too. The AV set's damage output is terrible has absolutely terrible damage output with Extremespeed, which is probably the only reason why Entei is viable outside of Sacred Fire. Then, It has to deal with being worn down by sand damage (Hippowdon is going up in usage) and the fact that most of the things it walls are either running a coverage move that does SE damage and/or Entei can't do poop to that fool. Seriously, its pretty good, but the advantages that the Choice Band set has over the AV set make it clearly superior.
Code:
Quality Control [Fuzznip | ash borer | Swamp Link]
===================================================
Grammar-Prose [None | None]

Overview
########

Entei received a massive buff to its movepool with the transition to XY: Sacred Fire. A move commonly used to define Ho-Oh, Entei makes great use of this move due to its ability to burn common switch-ins like Garchomp and Azumarill which cannot do much to Entei when burned with thanks to (you've already used due to, but this might be too informal) its great bulk. Entei's access to Extreme Speed also allows it to be a powerful revenge-killer and provides it a way to get past weakened checks such as Greninja and Latios. The buff to Defog and a new resistance to the Fairy-typing -type also make Entei's life much easier. However, despite these positive traits, it has to suffer from being walled by Air Balloon Heatran and Rotom-W, two very common pokemon in OU. Entei needs to use poor coverage options too which means that he will often be set-up bait for dangerous sweepers like, but not limited to Mega Pinsir and Manaphy. Its common weaknesses to Ground-, Rock-, and Water-type moves also make it a lot harder to play with. Even with the Defog buff, Entei is still hazard weak weak to hazards meaning that it can be worn down rather quickly. Remember to play Entei to its advantages and it will be a powerful player on the battlefield.

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
item: Choice Band / Life Orb

Moves
========

Sacred Fire is the main move of the set; it has great power and can burn common switch-ins such as Dragonite, Terrakion, Garchomp, and Tyranitar. Extreme Speed is another excellent move to use as it packs priority to combat checks like Greninja and can outpace other priority moves such as Talonflame's Brave Bird. Finally, Stone Edge lets you do decent damage to Rotom-W on the switch and demolish all the Fire-types which can easily tank and Sacred Fire with no fear bar Heatran. While Entei has great coverage with these three moves, it is still walled by Heatran; which is where Bulldoze comes in to OHKO it. Beware of using Bulldoze as being locked into it makes it set-up bait for powerful sweepers like Dragonite.

Set Details
========

A Choice Band is the preferred item of choice as it gives Sacred Fire the raw power it needs to cause deal (idk about this one, seems like an odd word choice) massive damage to the opposition. An Adamant Nature should be used as any other nature is illegal with Extreme Speed, which is mandatory on Entei. A Life Orb can be used to switch between moves, but the recoil and the fact that you're using Sacred Fire most of the time makes it unappealing. However, with the ability to switch moves, you can avoid the need to predict and prevent yourself from being set-up bait (kinda feels like you use 'set-up bait' too much. 'Set-up fodder' maybe?). It also has a the niche of beating Talonflame and Latios with a combination of Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed assuming they switch into Entei.

Usage Tips
========

Clicking the 'Sacred Fire' button is the key of to using Entei to its maximum potential. Sacred Fire is an amazing move and whenever you get a chance, you should use it to spread burns and cause deal massive damage to the opponent. Once everything is weakened late-game, Entei can sit back on and use Extreme Speed to clean up. Despite Sacred Fire's amazing burn chance, considering treating it as a 100% burn chance is a bad idea. Spreading burns is an important objective for Entei's use, but using it as a pseudo Will-O-Wisp can make lead to wasting Entei faint early in the game.

Entei should also play as a hit-and-run attacker since Sacred Fire and its coverage moves will force it out easily after a powerful attack. Entei should also use its coverage moves only when absolutely needed since they are often set-up bait to dangerous sweepers., and it makes the your next switch-in rather predictable.

Team Options
========

Anything that can set-up multiple entry hazards like Skarmory and Deoxys-D are amazing partners with for Entei. For example, with Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes, Sacred Fire 2HKOes Hippowdon making it a bad switch-in. Entei also forces out lots of pokemon Pokemon/mons, so the damage from the combination of Sacred Fire, entry hazards, and possible burn and/or sand damage will stack up very quickly.

Since Entei is weak to hazards, a spinner such as Excadrill is highly recommended, so Entei can tanks hits with its great bulk throughout the match. A Defogger user can be used if Entei isn't used with your team doesn't have a hazard setter Spikes or Sticky Web. A perfect example of this is Latios has it can come in on Water- and Ground-type moves aimed at Entei, and proceed to annihilate Rotom-W and Heatran with Draco Meteor and Earthquake, respectively, so it can SPAM (capitalised for impact?) Sacred Fire with greater ease.

Mega Charizard Y is also one of Entei's best teammates. With Sun support on its side, Sacred Fire will 2HKO almost everything in the metagame bar immunities, and Sun nullifies also softens attacks from Entei's pesky weaknesses to common checks like Greninja and Azumarill. In addition to that, Entei can clean up the mess that Mega Charizard Y did leaves late-game with its powerful Extreme Speed. Pairing the canine with set-up sweepers that have similar counters such as Mega Pinsir is highly recommended. In the provided example, Entei lures in Rotom-W and dishes out heavy damage to it, so Mega Pinsir's Return can muscle its way past it later.

Other Options
########

Due to Entei's horrid movepool, it has little limited options. Substitute can be used, but Entei is a sitting duck behind it due to its poor coverage. Another option is Hidden Power [Ice] with a Life Orb to lure in and KO Gliscor, but Entei suffers from 4MSS and doesn't like forgoing its primary coverage options. Entei can viably use an Assault Vest, to great viability allowing it to combat powerful wall-breakers like Mega Charizard Y. However, its has a rather poor damage output damage output is rather poor and it is also worn down very quickly. Leftovers is a nice item for extending Entei's longevity, but it still has power issues issues regarding power.

Checks and Counters
########

**Bulky Water-Types**: They can tank Sacred Fire with rather relative ease/rather easily. Rotom-W and Suicune are perfect examples of this. The latter can even set-up Calm Minds while draining Sacred Fire's PP with Pressure.

**Gliscor**: Gliscor takes quite a lot from Choice Band Sacred Fire, but it recovers quite nicely due to Poison Heal and can do massive damage to it with Earthquake.

*Fast Ground- and Water-types**: Garchomp and Greninja, while they cannot switch in directly, can easily force Entei out. can easily force Entei out; however they cannot switch in directly, fearing the burn chance.

**Heatran**: It is immune to Sacred Fire and can threaten back with Earth Power. However, it needs to be careful as Bulldoze can OHKO it, and against a Life Orb Entei, it fails to beat it it fails to beat Life Orb sets. Air Balloon Heatran, however, is very good at handling Entei, as it's immune to Bulldoze and Heatran Entei depends on Stone Edge to even do damage, whereas Heatran can do major damage with its powerful Earth Power.
  • Alright, so before you get to the analysis, I would like to say that the AV set is pretty much garbage. The set is actually horrible against Mega Charizard Y because Earthquake Mega Charizard Y is getting really popular (as much as Dragon Pulse and Focus Blast now) and I've been seeing a few mixed sets lately too. The AV set's damage output is terrible with Extremespeed, which is probably the only reason why Entei is viable outside of Sacred Fire. It has to deal with being worn down by sand damage (Hippowdon is going up in usage) and the fact that most of the things it walls are either running a coverage move that does SE damage and/or Entei can't do poop to that fool. Seriously, its pretty good, but the advantages that the Choice Band set has over the AV set make it clearly superior.
Code:
Quality Control [Fuzznip | ash borer | Swamp Link]
===================================================
Grammar-Prose [None | None]
Overview
########

Entei received a massive buff to its movepool with the transition to XY: Sacred Fire. A move commonly used to define Ho-Oh, Entei makes great use of this move due to its ability to burn common switch-ins like Garchomp and Azumarill which cannot do much to Entei when burned thanks to its great bulk. Entei's access to Extreme Speed also allows it to be a powerful revenge-killer and provides it a way to get past weakened checks such as Greninja and Latios. The buff to Defog and a new resistance to the Fairy-type also make Entei's life much easier. However, despite these positive traits, it has to suffer from being walled by Air Balloon Heatran and Rotom-W, two very common pokemon in OU. Entei needs to use poor coverage options which means that it will often be set-up bait for dangerous sweepers like, but not limited to Mega Pinsir and Manaphy. Its common weaknesses to Ground-, Rock-, and Water-type moves also make it a lot harder to play with. Even with the Defog buff, Entei is still weak to hazards meaning that it can be worn down rather quickly. Remember to play Entei to its advantages and it will be a powerful player on the battlefield.

All-Out Attacker
########

Moves
========

Sacred Fire is the main move of the set; it has great power and can burn common switch-ins such as Dragonite, Terrakion, Garchomp, and Tyranitar. Extreme Speed is another excellent move to use as it packs priority to combat checks like Greninja and can outpace other priority moves such as Talonflame's Brave Bird. Finally, Stone Edge lets you do decent damage to Rotom-W on the switch and demolish all the Fire-types which can easily tank a Sacred Fire with no fear bar Heatran. While Entei has great coverage with these three moves, it is still walled by Heatran; which is where Bulldoze comes in to OHKO it. Beware of using Bulldoze as being locked into it makes it set-up bait for powerful sweepers like Dragonite.

Set Details
========

A Choice Band is the preferred item of choice as it gives Sacred Fire the raw power it needs to deal massive damage to the opposition. An Adamant Nature should be used as any other nature is illegal with Extreme Speed, which is mandatory on Entei. A Life Orb can be used to switch between moves, but the recoil and the fact that you're using Sacred Fire most of the time makes it unappealing. However, with the ability to switch moves, you can avoid the need to predict and prevent yourself from being set-up bait. It also has the niche of beating Talonflame and Latios with a combination of Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed assuming they switch into Entei.

Usage Tips
========

Clicking the 'Sacred Fire' button is the key to using Entei to its maximum potential. Sacred Fire is an amazing move and whenever you get a chance, you should use it to spread burns and deal massive damage to the opponent. Once everything is weakened late-game, Entei can sit back and use Extreme Speed to clean up. Despite Sacred Fire's amazing burn chance, treating it as a 100% burn chance is a bad idea. Spreading burns is an important objective for Entei, but using it as a pseudo Will-O-Wisp can lead to wasting Entei early in the game.

Entei should also play as a hit-and-run attacker since Sacred Fire and its coverage moves will force it out easily after a powerful attack. Entei should also use its coverage moves only when needed since they are often set-up bait to dangerous sweepers., and it makes the your next switch-in rather predictable.

Team Options
========

Anything that can set-up multiple entry hazards like Skarmory and Deoxys-D are amazing partners for Entei. For example, with Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes, Sacred Fire 2HKOes Hippowdon making it a bad switch-in. Entei also forces out lots of [Pokemon/mons], so the damage from the combination of Sacred Fire, entry hazards, and possible burn and/or sand damage will stack up very quickly.

Since Entei is weak to hazards, a spinner such as Excadrill is highly recommended, so Entei can tank hits with its great bulk throughout the match. A Defogger can be used if your team doesn't have a hazard setter. A perfect example of this is Latios as it can come in on Water- and Ground-type moves aimed at Entei, and proceed to annihilate Rotom-W and Heatran with Draco Meteor and Earthquake respectively, so it can spam Sacred Fire with greater ease.

Mega Charizard Y is also one of Entei's best teammates. With Sun support on its side, Sacred Fire will 2HKO almost everything in the metagame bar immunities, and Sun also softens attacks from Entei's common checks like Greninja and Azumarill. In addition to that, Entei can clean up the mess that Mega Charizard Y leaves late-game with its powerful Extreme Speed. Pairing the canine with set-up sweepers that have similar counters such as Mega Pinsir is highly recommended. In the provided example, Entei lures in Rotom-W and dishes out heavy damage to it, so Mega Pinsir's Return can muscle its way past it later.

Other Options
########

Due to Entei's horrid movepool, it has limited options. Substitute can be used, but Entei is a sitting duck behind it due to its poor coverage. Another option is Hidden Power [Ice] with a Life Orb to lure in and KO Gliscor, but Entei suffers from 4MSS and doesn't like forgoing its primary coverage options. Entei can viably use an Assault Vest, allowing it to combat powerful wall-breakers like Mega Charizard Y. However, its damage output is rather poor and it is also worn down very quickly. Leftovers is a nice item for extending Entei's longevity, but it still has issues regarding power.

Checks and Counters
########

**Bulky Water-Types**: They can tank Sacred Fire with [relative ease/rather easily]. Rotom-W and Suicune are perfect examples of this. The latter can even set up Calm Minds while draining Sacred Fire's PP with Pressure.

**Gliscor**: Gliscor takes quite a lot from Choice Band Sacred Fire, but it recovers quite nicely due to Poison Heal and can do massive damage to it with Earthquake.

*Fast Ground- and Water-types**: Garchomp and Greninja, can easily force Entei out; however they cannot switch in directly, fearing the burn chance.

**Heatran**: It is immune to Sacred Fire and can threaten back with Earth Power. However, it needs to be careful as Bulldoze can OHKO it, and it fails to beat Life Orb sets. Air Balloon Heatran, however, is very good at handling Entei, as it's immune to Bulldoze and Entei depends on Stone Edge to even do damage, whereas Heatran can do major damage with its powerful Earth Power.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wait up can you add a Howl set:

Howl
########
name: Howl
move 1: Howl
move 2: Sacred Fire
move 3: Extreme Speed
move 4: Bulldoze / Stone Edge / Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant / Naughty

I used this set, and it's a pretty cool effective sweeper. Entei has a good Speed tier and the power with excellent priority for faster stuff and a perfectly spammable STAB that makes sweeping a great role for it. The last slot basically covers whatever random stuff you hate (Bulldoze for Heatran/SEdge for Fire-type and Rotom-W general coverage/HP Grass as a Quagsire lure). All in all it basically works like LO Entei, but with the ability to sweep. Worth an addition IMO.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
I'm sceptical on this one because I honestly think Entei, even with its weakness to Stealth Rock, is better as a hit-and-run attacker. You need a completely free turn to pull this off since you have Life Orb eating away at your health already, and even then there are tons of Pokemon who still don't care depending on the last slot (Heatran without Bulldoze, Dragonite without Stone Edge, Rotom without HP Grass). Not to mention that there are plenty of Pokemon that are faster, not even close to be OHKO'd by its weak unstabbed Extremespeed even at +1, and just OHKO you right back such as Landorus, Garchomp, Keldeo, Scarf Excadrill (even non-scarf if you actually go with the Adamant or Naughty listed there), Terrakion, Choice Scarf Tyranitar (and you have to rely on a 50% burn against non scarfed versions anyway), and stuff such as CB Azumarill who isn't technically faster but almost OHKOs with priority while Extremespeed still isn't coming close to an OHKO. Against stall you will be unable to break past either Quagsire, Heatran, or one of their other Pokemon depending on your last slot. Or you just get outright destroyed by stuff such as Gliscor, so you're not really sweeping against stall teams either.

I don't know, just seems to be that its reliance on a completely free turn to actually "sweep" (which you, honestly, aren't going to get; if it's not completely free then LO will just end you prematurely) is too tall of an order for it to actually be effective. Nevermind the lack of coverage you actually really want.

However, after seeing your set, I think HP Grass deserves a mention somewhere on the Life Orb variant of the All-Out Attacker for its ability to completely wreck Quagsire and turn Entei into an above average stallbreaker. If nothing else, it's probably better than the HP Ice listed in OO.

AM Check implemented.

I used it and I found myself getting walled by either Heatran, Rotom-W, or something else depending on what coverage move I chose. It is also inferior to other sweepers to be honest like Lucario as an SD sweeper. Maybe if Entei had SD, I'd add it and make it the first set, but it lacks SD. The immediate power CB provides is superior and Entei hits hard enough with LO + Adamant Nature. I'll mention Howl in moves. I tried out Hidden Power [Grass]. It's getting a mention in moves just because Quagsire is getting a lot more usage in this new metagame when you have things like Mega Gyarados all over the place.

Thanks.

EDIT: Hidden Power [Grass] and Howl have been added to 'Moves'

Last edited:
Wait up can you add a Howl set:

Howl
########
name: Howl
move 1: Howl
move 2: Sacred Fire
move 3: Extreme Speed
move 4: Bulldoze / Stone Edge / Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant / Naughty

I used this set, and it's a pretty cool effective sweeper. Entei has a good Speed tier and the power with excellent priority for faster stuff and a perfectly spammable STAB that makes sweeping a great role for it. The last slot basically covers whatever random stuff you hate (Bulldoze for Heatran/SEdge for Fire-type and Rotom-W general coverage/HP Grass as a Quagsire lure). All in all it basically works like LO Entei, but with the ability to sweep. Worth an addition IMO.
Probably worth mentioning that Entei can't have Extreme Speed without being locked into an Adamant nature so Naughty is out of the question. Adamant HP Grass still 2HKO's Quagsire (0- SpA Entei Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 204-240 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery), so even if it wasn't locked there's really no need for it if you're not intending to hit anything else.

Vertex AM Check
ADD
REMOVE
COMMENTS
Overview
########

Entei received a massive buff to its movepool with the transition to XY: Sacred Fire. A move commonly used to define Ho-Oh, Entei makes great use of this move due to its ability to burn common switch-ins likesuch as Garchomp and Azumarill,(AC) which cannot do much to Entei when burned thanks to its great bulk. Entei's access to Extreme Speed also allows it to be a powerful revenge-killer and provides it a way to get past weakened checks such as Greninja and Latios. The buff to Defog and a new resistance to the Fairy-type moves also make Entei's life much easier. However, despite these positive traits, itEntei has to suffers from being walled by Air Balloon Heatran(Air Balloon Heatran isn't common, so you should replace this mention with something else) and Rotom-W, two very common pokemon in OU. Entei needs to use poor also has mediocre coverage options which means that it will often be set-up bait for dangerous sweepers like, but not limited tosuch as Mega Pinsir(Mega Pinsir is weak to Sacred Fire and Stone Edge. You should replace this mention with something else) and Manaphy. ItEntei's common weaknesses to Ground-, Rock-, and Water-type moves also make it a lot harder to play withvulnerable to threats such as Keldeo and Greninja(Different examples could be used if you want.). Even with the Defog buff, Entei is still weak to entry hazards,(AC) meaning that it can be worn down rather quickly. Remember to play Entei to its advantages and it will be a powerful player on the battlefield.

All-Out Attacker
########

Moves
========

Sacred Fire is the main moveattack of theis set; it has great power and can burn common switch-ins such as Dragonite, Terrakion, Garchomp, and Tyranitar. Extreme Speed is another excellent move to use as it packs priority to combat checks likesuch as Greninja and can outpace other priority moves such as Talonflame's Brave Bird. Finally, Stone Edge lets youEntei doeal decent damage to Rotom-W on the switch and demolish all the Fire-types which can easily tank a Sacred Fire with no fear bar Heatran. While Entei has great coverage with these three moves, it is still walled by Heatran; which is where Bulldoze comes in to OHKO it. Beware of using Bulldoze,(AC) as being locked into it makes itEntei set-up bait for powerful sweepers likesuch as Dragonite.

Entei can use two interesting alternatives moves: Hidden Power [Grass] and Howl. The former allows itEntei to 2HKO Quagsire,(AC) which can wallstakes little damage from Sacred Fire easily, but it has limited use outside of that. Howl, however, gives Entei sweeping capabilities, but itEntei is inferior to Swords Dance Lucario as a sweeper, whichas Lucario also has Extremespeed, but isn't walled as easily because it lacks 4MSSdue to its better coverage.

Set Details
========

A Choice Band is the preferred item of choice,(AC) as it gives Sacred Fire the raw power it needs to deal massive damage to the opposition. An Adamant Nnature should be used as any other nature is illegal with Extreme Speed, which is a mandatory move on Entei. A Life Orb can be used to switch between moves, but the recoil and the fact that you'reEntei is using Sacred Fire most of the time makes it unappealing. However, with the ability to switch moves, youEntei can avoid the need to predict and prevent youritself from being set-up bait. It also has the niche of beating Talonflame and Latios with a combination of Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed assuming they switch into Entei.(This sentence seems fairly awkward and unnecessary).

Usage Tips
========

Clicking the 'Using Sacred Fire a majority of the time' button is the key to using Entei to its maximum potential. Sacred Fire is an amazing move and whenever youEntei gets a chance, youit should use it to spread burns and deal massive damage to the opponent. Once everything is weakened late-game, Entei can sit back and use Extreme Speed to clean up the foe's team. Despite Sacred Fire's amazing burn chance, treating it as a 100% burn chance is a bad idea.(This sentence seems unnecessary and awkward) Spreading burns is an important objective for Entei, but using itSacred Fire as a pseudo Will-O-Wisp can lead to wasting Entei being KOed early in the-game.

Entei should also play as a hit-and-run attacker sincedue to Sacred Fire and its coverage moves will forcinge it out easily after a powerful attack. Entei should also use its coverage moves only when needed sinceas they are often set-up bait to dangerous sweepers., and it makes the your next switch-in rather predictable.(The last part of the sentence seems unnecessary.)

Team Options
========

Anything that can set-up multiple entry hazards likesuch as Skarmory and Deoxys-D are amazing partners for Entei. For example, with Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes, Sacred Fire 2HKOes Hippowdon,(AC) making it a bad switch-in. Entei also forces out lotsa large amount of [Pokemon/mons], so the damage from the combination of Sacred Fire, entry hazards, and possible burn and/or sand damage will stack up very quickly.

Since Entei is weak to entry hazards, a spinner such as Excadrill is highly recommended,(RC) so Entei can tank hits with its great bulk throughout the match. A Defogger user can be used if your team doesn't have a entry hazard setter. A perfect example of this is Latios,(AC) as it can come in on Water- and Ground-type moves aimed at Entei, and proceed to annihilate Rotom-W and Heatran with Draco Meteor and Earthquake respectively, so itEntei can spam Sacred Fire with greater ease.

Mega Charizard Y is also one of Entei's best teammates. With Ssun support on its side, Sacred Fire will 2HKO almost everything in the metagame bar immunities, and Ssun also softens attacksWater-type moves from Entei's common checks likesuch as Greninja and Azumarill. In addition to that, Entei can clean up the mess that Mega Charizard Y leaves late-game with its powerful Extreme Speed. Pairing the canineEntei with set-up sweepers that have similar counters such as Mega Pinsir is highly recommended. In the provided example, Entei lures in Rotom-W and dishesdeals out heavya large amount of damage to it,(RC) so Mega Pinsir's Return can muscle its way past it later.

Other Options
########

Due to Entei's horrid movepool, it has limited options. Substitute can be used, but Entei is a sitting duck behind it due to its poor coverage. Another option is Hidden Power [Ice] with a Life Orb to lure in and KO Gliscor, but Entei suffers from 4MSS and doesn't like forgoing its primary coverage options. Entei can viably use an Assault Vest, allowing it to combat powerful wall-breakers likesuch as Mega Charizard Y. However, its damage output is rather poor and it is also worn down very quickly. Leftovers is a nice item for extending Entei's longevity, but it still has issues regarding power.

Checks and Counters
########

**Bulky Water-Types**: TheyBulky Water-types can tank Sacred Fire with relative ease. Rotom-W and Suicune are perfect examples of this. The latter can even set up Calm Minds while draining Sacred Fire's PP with Pressure.

**Gliscor**: Gliscor takes quite a lota large amount of damage from Choice Band Sacred Fire, but itcan recovers any damage taken quite nicely due towith Poison Heal and can dodeal a massive amount damage to itEntei with Earthquake.

*Fast Ground- and Water-types**: Garchomp and Greninja,(RC) can easily force Entei out; however they cannot switch in directly, fearing theSacred Fire's burn chance.

**Heatran**: ItHeatran is immune to Sacred Fire and can threaten Entei back with Earth Power. However, it needs to be careful,(AC) as Bulldoze can OHKO it, and it fails to beat Life Orb sets. Air Balloon Heatran, however, is very good at handling Entei, as it's immune to Bulldoze and resist all of Entei's other moves apart from depends on Stone Edge to even do damage, whereas Heatran can do major damage with its powerful Earth Power.(You already made the statement about Earth Power earlier.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the am check Magcargo 2! Sorry, I didn't realize this got a new post until now because it was on like page 3 of this forum lol.

Posted in the GProse thread for one like 2 months ago, but still no GP stamp. One would be greatly appreciated now niggas. Thanks.

Amateur check.

Add
Remove
Capitalization
Comments

Overview
########

Entei received a massive buff to its movepool with the transition to in(Not sure if that counted as putting emphasis on change brought about by generational shifts, but I changed it just in case. As a result, this probably isn't necessary.) XY: Sacred Fire. A move commonly used to define Ho-Oh, Entei makes great use of this move due to its ability to burn common switch-ins such as Garchomp and Azumarill, which cannot do much to Entei when burned thanks to its great bulk. Entei's access to Extreme Speed also allows it to be a powerful revenge-(Remove hyphen)(Add space)killer and provides it a way to get past weakened checks such as Greninja and Latios. The buff to Defog and a new resistance to the Fairy-type moves also make Entei's life much easier. However, despite these positive traits, Entei has to suffers from being is walled by Rotom-W, a very common pokemon in OU. Entei also has to rely on mediocre coverage options like such as Bulldoze which means that it will often be set-up bait for dangerous sweepers such as Mega Pinsir and Manaphy if a Choice Band is favored used. Entei's common weaknesses to Ground-, Rock-, and Water-type moves also make it vulnerable to threats such as Keldeo and Greninja. Even with the Defog buff, Entei is still weak to entry hazards, meaning that it can be worn down rather quickly. Remember to play Entei to its advantages, so it can be a powerful player on the battlefield.

All-Out Attacker
########

Moves
========

Sacred Fire is the main attack of the set; it has great power and can burn common switch-ins such as Dragonite, Terrakion, Garchomp, and Tyranitar. Extreme Speed is another excellent move to use as it packs priority to combat checks such as Greninja and can outpace other priority moves such as Talonflame's Brave Bird. Finally, Stone Edge lets Entei deal decent damage to Rotom-W on the switch and demolish all the Fire-types which can easily tank a Sacred Fire with no fear bar Heatran. While Entei has great coverage with these three moves, it is still walled by Heatran; which is where Bulldoze comes in to OHKO it. Beware of using Bulldoze, however, as being locked into it makes Entei set-up bait for powerful sweepers such as Dragonite.

Entei can use two interesting alternative moves: Hidden Power [(Remove bracket)Grass](Remove bracket) and Howl. The former allows Entei to 2HKO Quagsire, which takes little damage from Sacred Fire, but it has limited use outside of that. Howl, however, gives Entei sweeping capabilities, but it's Entei is inferior to Swords Dance Lucario as a sweeper, as Lucario also has Extremespeed, but isn't walled as easily due to its better coverage.

Set Details
========

A Choice Band is the preferred item of choice, as it gives Sacred Fire the raw power it needs to deal massive damage to the opposition. An Adamant Nature should be used as any other nature is illegal with Extreme Speed, which is a mandatory move on Entei. A Life Orb can be used to switch between moves, but the recoil and the fact that Entei is using Sacred Fire most of the time makes it unappealing. However, with the ability to switch moves, Entei can avoid the need to predict and prevent itself from being set-up bait. It also has the niche of beating Talonflame and Latios with a combination of Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed assuming they switch into Entei.

Usage Tips
========

Clicking the 'Sacred Fire' button is the key to using Entei to its maximum potential. Sacred Fire is an amazing move; and, whenever Entei gets a chance, it should use it to spread burns and deal massive damage to the opponent. Once everything is weakened late-game, Entei can sit back and use Extreme Speed to clean up the foe's team. Spreading burns is an important objective for Entei, but using Sacred Fire as a pseudo Will-O-Wisp can lead to Entei being KOed early-game.

Entei should also play as a hit-and-run attacker due to Sacred Fire and its coverage moves will force it out easily after a powerful attack. Entei should also use its coverage moves only when needed as they are often set-up bait to dangerous sweepers.

Team Options
========

Anything that can set-(Remove hyphen)(Add space)up multiple entry hazards such as Skarmory and Deoxys-D are amazing partners for Entei. For example, with Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes, Sacred Fire 2HKOes Hippowdon, making it a bad switch-in. Entei also forces out a large amount of Pokemon, so the damage from the combination of Sacred Fire, entry hazards, and possible burn and/or sand damage will stack up very quickly.

Since Because Entei is weak to entry hazards, a spinner such as Excadrill is highly recommended so Entei can tank hits with its great bulk throughout the match. Alternatively, a Defogger user can be used if your team doesn't have a entry hazard setter. A perfect example of this is Latios, as it can come in on Water- and Ground-type moves aimed at Entei, and proceed to annihilate Rotom-W and Heatran with Draco Meteor and Earthquake respectively, so Entei can spam Sacred Fire with greater ease.

Mega Charizard Y is also one of Entei's best teammates. With sun support on its side, Sacred Fire will 2HKO almost everything in the metagame bar immunities, and sun also softens Water-type moves from Entei's common checks such as Greninja and Azumarill. In addition to that, Entei can clean up the mess that Mega Charizard Y leaves late-game with its powerful Extreme Speed. Pairing Entei with set-up sweepers that have similar counters such as Mega Pinsir is highly recommended. In the provided example, Entei lures in Rotom-W and deals out a heavy amount of damage to it so Mega Pinsir's Return can muscle its way past it later.

Other Options
########

Due to Entei's horrid movepool, it has limited options. Substitute can be used, but Entei is a sitting duck behind it due to its poor coverage. Another option is Hidden Power [(Remove bracket)Ice](Remove bracket) with a Life Orb to lure in and KO Gliscor, but Entei suffers from 4MSS four-moveslot syndrome and doesn't like forgoing its primary coverage options. Entei can viably use an Assault Vest, allowing it to combat powerful specially-based wall-(Remove hyphen)breakers such as Mega Charizard Y. However, its damage output is rather poor and it is also worn down very quickly. Leftovers is a nice item for extending Entei's longevity, but it still has issues regarding power.

Checks and Counters
########

**Bulky Water-Types**: Bulky Water-types can tank Sacred Fire with relative ease. Rotom-W and Suicune are perfect examples of this. The latter can even set up Calm Minds while draining Sacred Fire's PP with Pressure.

**Gliscor**: Gliscor takes quite a large amount of damage from Choice Band Sacred Fire, but can recover any damage taken quite nicely with Poison Heal and can deal a massive amount damage to Entei with Earthquake.

*Fast Ground- and Water-types**: Garchomp and Greninja can easily force Entei out; however, they cannot switch in directly, fearing Sacred Fire's burn chance.

**Heatran**: Heatran is immune to Sacred Fire and can threaten Entei back with Earth Power. However, it needs to be careful, as Bulldoze can OHKO it, and it fails to beat Life Orb sets. Air Balloon Heatran, however, is very good at handling Entei, as it's immune to Bulldoze and resists all of Entei's other moves apart from Stone Edge.(<You might want to unbold this)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)