[RU] Rotom-F (BW2 Revamp) [QC 2/3]

didn't watch frozen yet, i have no reference for this. idk, frozone something something *-*

[Overview]

<p>From an offensive outlook, Rotom-F has many desirable traits that make it worth using in the RU tier. Electric / Ice typing is stellar offensively, especially in the current metagame, as the vast majority of common defensive cores consist of Pokemon that are hit by Rotom-F's STAB combination super effectively, and many of those that aren't can be navigated with the use of Volt Switch. As with it's fellow Rotom-A formes, Rotom-F has very respectable stat distribution, including high Special Attack and decent natural bulk, as well as Levitate, which helps to offset what might otherwise be a rather back-breaking weakness to entry hazards. Unfortunately, while 86 base Speed allows Rotom-F to safely outpace most defensive Pokemon and bulky attackers, it falls short of many relevant offensive Pokemon, limiting its usefulness in match-ups against more offensive teams. Furthermore, while providing Rapid Spin support to optimize the performance of an offensive Pokemon is by no means a foreign or excessively difficult task in this tier, doing so for Rotom-F does lead it to compete for a team slot with alternate, more self-sufficient Rotom formes, particularly Rotom-C. As such, Rotom-F is restricted to serving as a core breaker and pivot to offensive teams in order to make the most of its perks.</p>

name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Blizzard
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Will-O-Wisp
item: Wide Lens / Expert Belt
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The most effective method of making use of Rotom-F's positive traits is with a very straightforward attacking set, which allows it to throw attacks out liberally in order to make the most of its excellent STAB coverage. Blizzard, despite its accuracy issues, is a very potent attack, especially given how unprepared most teams are to take a STAB-boosted hit, as well as a follow-up Electric-type attack. For this reason, Volt Switch can be a highly effective momentum-grabbing utility as long as Stealth Rock remains out of play, given that very few Electric-type immunities can capably switch in, for fear of being hit by a Blizzard on the switch. However, as it is not always possible to prevent hazards, it is important to have a fallback Electric-type attack such as Thunderbolt to allow Rotom-F to pressure bulky Water-types and other similar threats more effectively. Given a Modest nature, Thunderbolt consistently OHKOs standard Alomomola and 2HKO's defensive Slowking, whereas without it these Pokemon could simply recover the turn Rotom-F uses Volt Switch, forcing it out and gaining most, if not all of their HP back. While this coverage is oftentimes sufficient, certain Pokemon associated with more balanced playstyles, such as Cryogonal, Escavalier, and Lanturn, do check or counter this set, making Will-O-Wisp a valuable asset; although it would only heavily cripple Escavalier, the passive damage of Will-O-Wisp forces the other two Pokemon to be chipped away at handily, which, alongside issues both already experience in regards to longevity, although for them to be worn down very quickly.</p>
  • [SET COMMENTS]
  • Modest is strong, though Smeargle 'n Jolly 'Tops / Gallade / Qwilfish make Timid worth consideration
  • Wide Lens bumps up the consistency of Frostom's Blizzards / Wisps while potentially bluffing a choice set
  • ChestoRest more directly benefits Frostom, allowing it to extend its longevity and heighten its ability to pressure defensive builds, giving it the liberty to play more aggressively beforehand (switching into Scalds / Sludge Bombs more safely, staying in v.SpDef Cryos / 'Tombs to push the issue, etc.). Status is everywhere, so yhe q-q
  • Ebelt is perfectly good as well, lost utility aside, and the bump in damage output can push KO's on stuff like Amoonguss, offensive Slowking, and SpDef Drudd
  • LO hits hard regardless of type coverage, but it quickly wears down Frostom in tandem w/hazards, which on top of inaccurate moves brings an significant element of inconsistency at times
  • HP Fire / Ground > utility move to more immediately pressure Lanturn / Esca / Ferro / Magnets
  • HP Ice in the final slot for a weak-ish, but accurate Ice STAB, and alternatively the strong-but-iffy Thunder
  • 'Tops is cool; it spins for Frostom, and the damage Frostom can build up vs bulky Steel-types can help facilitate a sweep for it
  • NP Slowking / SubCM Uxie function similarly, sacrificing the ability to spin for better longevity and defensive synergy
  • Spikes support is typically chill for this sort of thing, since it donks every defensive switch-ins sans Clefable / Cryogonal. Given the more offensive inclination of most Rotom-F teams, Qwilfish / Scolipede / Smeargle are pretty solid choices for this

[Other Options]
  • Sub-(Split / Wisp) is a thing, but staying power isn't really all that useful when compared to Volt Switch, considering how much better it meshes with effective playstyles such as spike-stack
  • Choice sets are feasible, but puts an even heavier strain on Blizzard to hit multiple times, and the inability to switch up moves doesn't exactly play to its strengths in the tier
  • Dual Screens is pleasantly useful, supporting the team in a somewhat different manner than other sets, but dropping stuff like TBolt makes tasks like pressuring bulky Waters a hassle

[Checks & Counters]
  • It should be noted that as it plays almost exclusively as a breaker, Frostom trading for damage v.a bulky 'mon can be interpreted as success on its part
  • That said, Lanturn is the most efficient counter, shrugging off burns and Frostom's dual STAB, and perhaps most significantly absorbing Volt Switch, preventing progressive whittling
  • Cryogonal, both offensive and defensive, take on Frostom nicely 1v1, while retaining Recover to minimize the damage, but Volt Switching into appropriate response as it comes in can upset that
  • Bulky Steel-types, despite typically disliking burns, can pivot into and potentially cripple Frostom with status. Specifically, CB Esca (if brought in safely) can force a 50-50 with either Pursuit or Megahorn that can potentially stuff Frostom before it deals too much damage
  • SpDef Normals stuff hits decently and can outlast Frostom in Wish+Protect cycles barring excessive hax, though Volt Switch w/hazards up chip away at it (Magi Guard Clef being the most noteworthy exception)
  • Offensive pressure can typically restrict Rotom-F, as it can only outpace a limited pool of offensive 'mons, while they can often KO in return after SR.
  • In a similar vein, 'revenge-killing', for obvious enough reasons

[Overview]
  • Cool as Ice
  • Actually, nvm @ that first part. i lied, and i'm sorry for that
  • Electric / Ice STAB is ridiculous b/c the majority of defensive / bulky 'mons are hit for SE damage by it, and most of the ones that aren't struggle to suppress it when given the ability to Volt Switch at minimal risk
  • Nice stat distribution and (T)Spikes immunity offsets the negative defensive implications of its Ice subtyping, allowing it to switch into bulky Water- and Grass-types and such without excessive risk on its part
  • Reliant on the inaccurate Blizzard to function (HP Ice is too weak to core-break) optimally
  • Middle-of-the-ground Speed tier allows it to outpace the majority of defensive and bulky offensive threats, but most faster offensive 'mons give it limited breathing room
  • While spin support isn't the most back-breaking of costs to optimize a 'mon, especially in this tier, it does bear down fairly hard on a Volt Switch user, lending itself to competition with the comparatively more self-sufficient Rotom-C in certain regards (especially as a Scarf 'mon)
  • Typically, this restricts Rotom-F to use as a core breaker and momentum grabber for offensive builds, which is by no means bad

name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Blizzard
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Will-O-Wisp
item: Wide Lens / Expert Belt
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Rotom-F is best left to a basic attacking set, where it can liberally throw around STAB attacks to in order to break down common defensive cores in the metagame
  • Blizzard, and Ice STAB in general, is quite nice in this meta, since so few things readily stomach it and a follow-up TBolt. This makes Rotom-F one of the best options in the tier to immediately pressure Drudd, and of course deters most Electric immunes from coming in to absorb a Volt Switch
  • The switcher. Grabs momentum for Frostom nicely on switch-ins from stuff like bulky Steel- or Fire-types, SpDef Normals, SpDef 'Tomb-ish, etc., while dealing solid damage given solid SpA + STAB
  • Of course, given that not every team carries such 'mons, it is highly useful, at times even mandatory (depending on the hazard situation) to retain an Electric STAB that allows Frostom to stay in. Aside from the obvious difference in power, this prevents scenarios in which Pokemon like Slowking can simply absorb a Volt Switch and heal up, allowing Frostom to more consistently fulfill its role as a breaker
  • Wisp is a solid catch-all for hitting a variety of targets decently, as well as significantly hindering the defensive capabilities of 'mons like Cryo, Lanturn, and Ferroseed (well, not so much Cryo I s'pose x_x). The attack-halving secondary effects of the burn can also open up set-up opps for a sweeper, which is chill
[SET COMMENTS]
  • Modest is strong, though Smeargle 'n Jolly 'Tops / Gallade / Qwilfish make Timid worth consideration
  • Wide Lens bumps up the consistency of Frostom's Blizzards / Wisps while potentially bluffing a choice set
  • ChestoRest more directly benefits Frostom, allowing it to extend its longevity and heighten its ability to pressure defensive builds, giving it the liberty to play more aggressively beforehand (switching into Scalds / Sludge Bombs more safely, staying in v.SpDef Cryos / 'Tombs to push the issue, etc.). Status is everywhere, so yhe q-q
  • Ebelt is perfectly good as well, lost utility aside, and the bump in damage output can push KO's on stuff like Amoonguss, offensive Slowking, and SpDef Drudd
  • LO hits hard regardless of type coverage, but it quickly wears down Frostom in tandem w/hazards, which on top of inaccurate moves brings an significant element of inconsistency at times
  • HP Fire / Ground > utility move to more immediately pressure Lanturn / Esca / Ferro / Magnets
  • HP Ice in the final slot for a weak-ish, but accurate Ice STAB, and alternatively the strong-but-iffy Thunder
  • 'Tops is cool; it spins for Frostom, and the damage Frostom can build up vs bulky Steel-types can help facilitate a sweep for it
  • NP Slowking / SubCM Uxie function similarly, sacrificing the ability to spin for better longevity and defensive synergy
  • Spikes support is typically chill for this sort of thing, since it donks every defensive switch-ins sans Clefable / Cryogonal. Given the more offensive inclination of most Rotom-F teams, Qwilfish / Scolipede / Smeargle are pretty solid choices for this

[Other Options]
  • Sub-(Split / Wisp) is a thing, but staying power isn't really all that useful when compared to Volt Switch, considering how much better it meshes with effective playstyles such as spike-stack
  • Choice sets are feasible, but puts an even heavier strain on Blizzard to hit multiple times, and the inability to switch up moves doesn't exactly play to its strengths in the tier
  • Dual Screens is pleasantly useful, supporting the team in a somewhat different manner than other sets, but dropping stuff like TBolt makes tasks like pressuring bulky Waters a hassle

[Checks & Counters]
  • It should be noted that as it plays almost exclusively as a breaker, Frostom trading for damage v.a bulky 'mon can be interpreted as success on its part
  • That said, Lanturn is the most efficient counter, shrugging off burns and Frostom's dual STAB, and perhaps most significantly absorbing Volt Switch, preventing progressive whittling
  • Cryogonal, both offensive and defensive, take on Frostom nicely 1v1, while retaining Recover to minimize the damage, but Volt Switching into appropriate response as it comes in can upset that
  • Bulky Steel-types, despite typically disliking burns, can pivot into and potentially cripple Frostom with status. Specifically, CB Esca (if brought in safely) can force a 50-50 with either Pursuit or Megahorn that can potentially stuff Frostom before it deals too much damage
  • SpDef Normals stuff hits decently and can outlast Frostom in Wish+Protect cycles barring excessive hax, though Volt Switch w/hazards up chip away at it (Magi Guard Clef being the most noteworthy exception)
  • Offensive pressure can typically restrict Rotom-F, as it can only outpace a limited pool of offensive 'mons, while they can often KO in return after SR.
  • In a similar vein, 'revenge-killing', for obvious enough reasons

Last edited:
I'm not really sure if Wide Lens is the best item for Rotom-F, and I'd rather see Expert Belt as the main slash and Wide Lens in AC. Blizzard is still only 77% accuracy and Will-O-Wisp gets to like 82.5%... still really not that fantastic. Also bluffing Choice isn't really that useful when you don't actually have a Choiced set listed. I feel like Expert Belt is better because you are probably sending out Rotom-F to use Volt Switch for the momentum and Blizzard to hit Pokemon that are immune to Volt Switch, which are weak to Blizzard, and hit Druddigon with Blizzard.
It also means you always OHKO standard Rhydon, Druddigon (small chance of surviving Modest Blizzard) and 2HKO defensive Slowking with a Timid Nature without any hazards, something which even Modest cannot do. The occasional Grass-type also takes more damage. (not sure which ones, haven't bothered calcing) idk it just doesn't seem strong enough without Wide Lens and it maintains that miss factor. Being allowed to run Timid also means outspeeding all those Pokemon that you mentioned, which all threaten Rotom-F.

EDIT: Rest + Chesto Berry seems pretty situational too, idk why you would use it over something like Pain Split or something completely different.

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
yeah Expert Belt or Life Orb are definitely the better item choices

Also, a Choice Scarf set is probably worth it; blasting away all of Sceptile, Druddigon, Alomomola, and Ground-types all in a single Scarfer is a huge thing it's got over like Manectric, Rotom, Magneton, and Rotom-C.

If you're using Rotom-F you're immediately playing the odds with Blizzard, the main thing that makes it worth using, so going "risky" with a Scarf or SubSplit aren't like, any more risky than otherwise. Plus, relying on Blizzard is no worse than the multitude of Pokemon that rely on Focus Blast as coverage to be usable.

Ayte, I figured item choice would probably be one of the biggest points of debate here, so it's cool to lay that on the table right now '~' Don't recall why I didn't include LO (feigning a Choice set is maybe a secondary, even tertiary benefit, since it doesn't go too far with it), but I'll include it somewhere for sure.

I will concede that Wide Lens as a primary slash may be somewhat attributable to personal bias (I'm pretty pessimistic when it comes to any moves below 100% acc., so I'll do what I can to mitigate that sorta thing x_x), though I believe this was also a favoured item choice for users such as HnC, and I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt I guess haha. However, from a strictly statistical point, the acc. boost turns consecutive Blizzards into a statistically favourable scenario for the user (from 49% likelihood to 59.3%), which, as minor as it may seem, has been pretty significant in my experiences with the 'mon, since being able to seal the deal w/consecutive hits really helps it break 'mons like SpDef 'Tomb (w/a little prior damage), SpDef 'Tomb, etc.

ChestoRest was sort of a personal preference, and while I can agree that it may well be better of in AC, I can't say that it's at all comparable to Pain Split. The primary reason for this is status; status gets thrown around by pretty much anything with the capacity to take a hit to some degree, and given some of Frostom's best, non-free switches come from soft defensive 'mons such as Amoonguss, Rose, Slowking, Momo, and so forth, it will be encountering these issues quite often. Keeping in mind its primary role as a breaker, being caught by status on the switch can be huge, since that passive damage puts it on a timer to fulfill its role, which is meh. Furthermore, given how it will be played, very few situations will occur under which the opposing 'mon is healthy to the point that Pain Split would be an efficient use of a turn and that 'mon wouldn't make a significant counterplay in that free turn. The only situation in which I see this being pertinent is against a status-less, fire-type move-less cleric Clefable, which is meh.

In regards to certain specifics, I believe you're misinterpreting how Frostom should be getting played; using it strictly as a Volt Switch engine basically just extrapolates its SR weakness, and were it solely for this purpose, I'd honestly rather stick to Rotom-C/N. The primary move Frostom will be spamming under normal circumstances is Blizzard (again, a reason why Wide Lens retains more value in practice than on paper) due to its solid coverage against most of the tier, with Volt Switch being meant to grab momentum against a couple specific targets (certain bulky Steel-types, faster Fire-types, healthy SpDef Normal-types, Cryo). Moreover, while I agree something like EBelt helps mitigate the loss in power to be had from dropping Modest, the targets of a Timid nature, aside from Smeargle, are more reactionary in and of themselves (Jolly Gallade / 'Tops / Medi primarily seeking to outpace their Adamant counterparts + Timid Magneton, with most else being afterthoughts), making them a minority by a significant margin. Most of the KO's you list are yielded by non-boosted (ie.Chesto / Wide Lens), Modest Blizzard, and a handful of neutrally hit targets escape consistent KOs in the shift to Timid:
  • 252+ SpA Rotom-F Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 141-166 (48.2 - 56.8%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Rotom-F Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 127-151 (43.4 - 51.7%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO (64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock)
  • 252+ SpA Rotom-F Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Spiritomb: 127-150 (41.9 - 49.5%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery)
  • 252 SpA Rotom-F Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Spiritomb: 117-138 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery)
Factoring in the miss rate of Wide Lens Modest to EBelt Timid, the consistent damage of Blizzard is ~1.2 times higher in the case of the former in contrast to the ladder, slightly higher than the boost of Expert Belt against applicable targets. This means that going off numbers alone, Wide Lens Blizzard from a Modest Frostom does more damage over an extended period of time than Timid, EBelt Frostom, even if every target of the move is hit super-effectively, which obviously will not always be the case. That being said, here are what I observe as the benefits of each:

• More accurate Blizzard / Will-O-Wisp
  • Higher damage output vs.type-neutral targets

• Outpaces + Speed Base 80's / Smeargle / Jolly Qwilfish; can speed tie opposing + Speed Rotom-A
  • Higher damage output v.Electric-weak Pokemon

The instances of higher damage output are at about the same degree in gain, with pertinent targets being hit ~10% harder than they would in the case of the alternative. I feel as though I've addressed the issues on accuracy, type-neutral targets, and + Speed Base 80's, but not so much the Electric-weak 'mons. From what I've observed, this jump in damage is not overly significant, given Modest, non-EBelt yields significant results either which way:
  • 252+ SpA Rotom-F Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Omastar: 392-464 (113.9 - 134.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Rotom-F Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 116+ SpD Slowking: 222-264 (56.4 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Rotom-F Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Slowking: 270-320 (68.7 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Expert Belt Rotom-F Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Slowking: 298-353 (75.8 - 89.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Rotom-F Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Alomomola: 546-644 (102.2 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Rotom-F Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Poliwrath: 320-378 (83.3 - 98.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Expert Belt Rotom-F Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Poliwrath: 348-413 (90.6 - 107.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Rotom-F Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Moltres: 338-398 (105.2 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I omitted a few less pertinent / obvious matters (Qwilfish / Daunt is obviously OHKOed by whatever, Gatr is uncommon af and dies to either, etc.), but you'll notice that for the most part, Modest non-EBelt yields all the KO's it needs to. The only one that Timid EBelt achieves in some forme that Modest fails on is offensive Slowking, which is statistically unlikely all the same, and defensive Poliwrath, which is on the decline (though I'd say it should really be seeing a little more use, but meh). Furthermore, both of these KO's are procured by Modest after a single layer of Spikes, which shouldn't be too much of stretch given how good Spikes are in this meta.

To address Choice sets, I really would rather not include them :/ Aside from the generality that switching up moves is really nice for Frostom, I feel as though the whole "SR-weak cleaner w/inaccurate moves" thing is strictly done better by Moltres, as while it does put a heavier strain on spinning, its significantly better bulk, damage output, and even Speed offer a much better offensive value in exchange for the associative risk of its moves and required spin support. The only tangible plus I can observe from Frostom, aside from an Aqua Jet neutrality, is that it doesn't necessitate chip damage on Drudd or Pursuit support as heavily as Moltres, but that sort of thing isn't too hard to come by, and the benefits of them are numerous on their own anywho q-q

tl;dr

• I feel strongly that Modest is far more valuable to Frostom than Timid
  • Wide Lens is more valuable than you give it credit
  • EBelt is ok-ish, but mostly as a means to compensate for power when running Timid
  • LO is good, not sure why it's there
  • ChestoRest probably is better suited for AC, but not comparable to Pain Split
  • V.Iffy on the inclusion of Choice sets, but I guess Scarf could maybe do a thing ?_?

Atm, I'll drop ChestoRest to AC and bring up LO, but I'd appreciate a few more opinions on things before I go further with that sort of thing.

Yeah I support Wide Lens, I should add Expert Belt > Life Orb on the second slash.

Why Wide Lens? I know that the accuracy is not great at all but really helps, using 2 moves with a poor accuracy and both being key, really takes advantage of this; more consistent Wisp which is huge when your games depends on no miss so your chances will be better and really dont misses important HKO against key stuff like Golurk or Druddigon.

Life Orb + bad accuracy moves + no recover is too unreliable; a lot of risky to use it, no reason unless you're a bit crazy or you're Shake 9.9

Add Thunder somewhere which is nice because stronger than tbolt + 30% to para your opponent, almost Hydro Pump accuracy with Wide Lens but with a big chance to para, is a good deal.

fair enough, i steered away from LO in application for similar reasons. thunder's actually already there, just lazily slotted alongside hp ice x_x dw, i'll actually elaborate more in writing, but i'd like to think i reserve the right to be lazy now :]

but yeah, hnc probably managed to explain it better than my long-ass post did in, like, 1.5 lines, but given blizzard+wisp are far and away the most significant / spammable moves in frostom's arsenal, i feel wide lens is much more significant than it would appear on paper q-q

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah this looks good, I'd also say Blizzard is useful to hit Sceptile, another top mon in RU, but whatever.

QC Approved 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)