Ubers Xerneas QC:(3/3) GP: (4/4)

I don't think this has been mentioned, so has anyone thought of putting Aromatherapy on the Geomancy set? Sure, it makes his four moves syndrome even worse, but now he can give a lot of utility to your team, and be a deadly sweeper at the same time. If you send in Xerneas, your opp will probably go into their Xern check, while you can get off a free Aromatherapy, no other cleric can do something like that. If they don't have a check to Xern, your free to sweep. Of course it's not always as simple as that, but I think it needs a mentioning somewhere.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok so I finally went through and made the changes suggested by Hack and Piexplode. After talking to Furai on what to do in this case, I think the things I made changes on require a GP check. I have placed these changes in a hide tag.
GatoDelFuego
**Clefable**: Clefable can wall all Xerneas, thanks to Unaware, that do not hold a Life Orb if Stealth Rock is not up. It can then proceed to status Xerneas and hurt it with Seismic Toss. If the opposing Xerneas does hold a Life Orb or if Stealth Rock is up then Clefable will be unable to avoid getting 2HKOed by Moonblast. It should also be noted that Clefable cannot break through Defensive Xerneas, but at the same time Defensive Xerneas can do nothing to it.
Geomancy
########
name: Geomancy
move 1: Geomancy
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Thunder / Psyshock
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Power Herb
evs: 108 HP / 28 Def / 252 SAtk / 120 Spd
nature: Modest

Moves
========

When used in conjunction with Power Herb, Geomancy allows Xerneas to raise its Special Attack and Speed to frightening levels in a single turn, making Xerneas a very potent sweeper. Moonblast is Xerneas's strongest and most reliable STAB move, and after a Geomancy, it essentially OHKOes anything that does not resist it unless the target has a ridiculous amount of special bulk. The rest of the moves provide coverage on the Pokemon that a boosted Moonblast fails to OHKO. Thunder OHKOes Ho-Oh and Lugia after Stealth Rock, deals solid damage to specially defensive Kyogre, and whacks Steel-types that resist Moonblast, such as Heatran, Scizor, Bronzong, and Aegislash, for solid neutral damage. Psyshock OHKOes Poison-types, namely Amoonguss and Poison Arceus, while providing Xerneas a way to 2HKO Calm Chansey. Focus Blast rounds out coverage by massacring Steel-types that aren't Aegislash, Mega Scizor, or Bronzong.

Xerneas has two unlisted moves that it can use on this set: Substitute and Hidden Power Fire. Substitute not only shields it from status, allowing it to better combat Chansey and Thundurus-I, but it also eases its ability to set up with Geomancy. Using Substitute forces the opponent to attack or phaze Xerneas out, and so they generally have to switch out or attack twice, giving Xerneas an opportunity to set up with Geomancy even after its Power Herb has been consumed. However, using Substitute is not recommended, as it will significantly impair Xerneas's coverage. Hidden Power Fire hits Aegislash super effectively and reliably OHKOes Scizor and Ferrothorn, but does not do much else. Although Hidden Power Fire hits Aegislash hard after a Geomancy, it cannot reliably land a 2HKO unless it is boosted by sun. Furthermore, Xerneas can deal massive damage to Scizor with the other coverage moves after a Geomancy anyway.

Set Details
========

The current EV spread maximizes Xerneas's Special Attack and allows it to outspeed Mewtwo after its used Geomancy if Stick Web is up. EVs are then placed into Defense to ensure Genesct that oppose it recieve a Special Attack boost. The rest of the EVs are placed in HP to make Xerneas more bulky in general. Reallocating the HP EVs into Defense is an option to make Xermeas more physically bulky, primarily so it will take less damage from priority moves such as Arceus's Extreme Speed and Scizor's Bullet Punch. These EVs will also help Xerneas tank attacks including Gyro Ball and Iron Head from Steel-types such as Bronzong that try to counter it. However this investment in Defense doesn't change any notable OHKOes into 2HKOes. If it is desired, the EVs in Defense can be reallocated to HP for better mixed bulk and to make it easier for Xerneas to tank special hits. Fully investing in Speed and Special Attack is also a viable option, as it gives Xerneas some utility and allows it to outspeed things before it uses Geomancy. However, after a boost, the extra Speed is mostly superfluous, and it does nothing aside from allowing Xerneas to outrun a few Choice Scarf users such as Shaymin-S and Darkrai, which are beaten anyway due to Geomancy's Special Defense boost. Geomancy Xerneas runs a Modest nature so that its attacks are as strong as possible, allowing it to sweep teams more easily. If you fear an opposing Xerneas setting up Geomancy alongside yours, a Timid nature is usable so that Xerneas is at least guaranteed to Speed tie with it. However, there is not much else doing this accomplishes, and the loss of power is noticeable, as Xerneas now fails to do things like OHKO Lugia with a boosted Moonblast after Stealth Rock.

I haven't tried Geomancy with Aromatherapy xDesch but I don't know. I get his offensive presence in general makes it better but then isn't All-out-attacker better suited? Then again All-out can't sweep, I'd like to discuss that more before putting it up.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
polop

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

**Clefable**: Clefable can wall all Xerneas, thanks to Unaware, that do not hold a Life Orb if Stealth Rock is not up. It can then proceed to status Xerneas and hurt it with Seismic Toss. If the opposing Xerneas does hold a Life Orb or if Stealth Rock is up, however, then Clefable will be unable to avoid getting 2HKOed by Moonblast. It should also be noted that Clefable cannot break through defensive Xerneas, but at the same time defensive Xerneas can do nothing to it.
Geomancy
########
move 4: Focus Blast

Moves
========

When used in conjunction with Power Herb, Geomancy allows Xerneas to raise its Special Attack and Speed to frightening levels in a single turn, making Xerneas a very potent sweeper. Moonblast is Xerneas's strongest and most reliable STAB move, and after a Geomancy, it essentially OHKOes anything that does not resist it unless the target has a ridiculous amount of special bulk. The rest of the moves provide coverage on the Pokemon that a boosted Moonblast fails to OHKO. Thunder OHKOes Ho-Oh and Lugia after Stealth Rock, deals solid damage to specially defensive Kyogre, and whacks Steel-types that resist Moonblast, such as Heatran, Scizor, Bronzong, and Aegislash, for solid neutral damage. Psyshock OHKOes Poison-types, namely Amoonguss and Poison Arceus, while providing Xerneas a way to 2HKO Calm Chansey. Focus Blast rounds out coverage by massacring Steel-types that aren't Aegislash, Mega Scizor, or Bronzong.

Xerneas has two unlisted moves that it can use on this set: Substitute and Hidden Power Fire. Substitute not only shields it Xerneas from status, allowing it to better combat Chansey and Thundurus-I, but it also eases its ability to set up with Geomancy. Using Substitute forces the opponent to attack or phaze Xerneas out, and so they generally have to switch out or attack twice, giving Xerneas an opportunity to set up with Geomancy even after its Power Herb has been consumed. However, using Substitute is not always recommended, as it will significantly impair Xerneas's coverage. Hidden Power Fire hits Aegislash super effectively and reliably OHKOes Scizor and Ferrothorn, but does not do much else. Although Hidden Power Fire hits Aegislash hard after a Geomancy, it cannot reliably land a 2HKO unless it is boosted by sun. Furthermore, Xerneas can deal massive damage to Scizor with the other coverage moves after a Geomancy anyway.

Set Details
========

The current EV spread maximizes Xerneas's Special Attack and allows it to outspeed Mewtwo after its used Geomancy if Sticky Web is up. EVs are then placed into Defense to ensure opposing Genesect that oppose it receive a Special Attack boost. The rest of the EVs are placed in HP to make Xerneas more bulky in general. Reallocating the HP EVs into Defense is an option to make Xermeas more physically bulky, primarily so it will take less damage from priority moves such as Arceus's Extreme Speed and Scizor's Bullet Punch. These EVs will also help Xerneas tank attacks including Gyro Ball and Iron Head from Steel-types such as Bronzong that try to counter it. However this investment in Defense doesn't change any notable OHKOes into 2HKOes. If it is desired, the EVs in Defense can be reallocated to HP for better mixed bulk and to make it easier for Xerneas to better tank special hits. Fully investing in Speed and Special Attack is also a viable option, as it gives Xerneas some utility and allows it to outspeed things before it uses Geomancy. However, after a boost, the extra Speed is mostly superfluous, and it does nothing aside from allowing Xerneas to outrun a few Choice Scarf users such as Shaymin-S and Darkrai, which are beaten anyway due to Geomancy's Special Defense boost. Geomancy Xerneas runs a Modest nature so that its attacks are as strong as possible, allowing it to sweep teams more easily. If you fear an opposing Xerneas setting up Geomancy alongside yours, a Timid nature is usable so that Xerneas is at least guaranteed to Speed tie with it. However, there is not much else doing this accomplishes, and the loss of power is noticeable, as Xerneas now fails to do things like OHKO Lugia with a boosted Moonblast after Stealth Rock.

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
**Ditto**: Ditto can copy Xerneas that have used Geomancy and threaten to sweep. It should be noted that Ditto cannot switch into Geomancy Xerneas and is completely useless against any other set.
Ditto will also defeat Calm Mind Xerneas if it doesn't have a Substitute

Aqualouis

^ Sport de raquette + Service pas rattrapé
is a Contributor Alumnus
Because it is indeed one of its best and most common sets and is probably the set that has impacted teambuilding and the metagame the most.

I feel like you deserve more of an explanation but yeah it's pretty much what Hack said.

Plz... The best set is indeed the bander one -_-

Minor nitpick but if you could move 4 HP evs and stick them anywhere else that would be nice as it reduces the hazards damage Xerneas takes.

Besides that, the Geomancy set already kinda needs an update as far as some moves slashing is concerned. Psyshock is just really bad, barely worth a moves mention. Sub and HP Fire are great and should probably both be slashed with Focus Blast

Reviver

Banned deucer.
Why do you start off the overview by saying "Xerneas is a rather strange Pokemon"? Hello? Not only does it not make sense technically speaking, it is a rather poor opener in this context due to not having any material supporting the statement.

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
All right time to update this again.

Why do you start off the overview by saying "Xerneas is a rather strange Pokemon"? Hello? Not only does it not make sense technically speaking, it is a rather poor opener in this context due to not having any material supporting the statement.
It can sweep but is in desperate need of legitimate coverage moves (yuck HP Fire, Thunder is terribly inaccurate but a necessary evil). Its powerful as hail but finds it difficult to bypass certain things completely (Aegislash for example). Greatly annoyed by Mega Gengar but regardless is able to use cleric sets ridiculously well. Great support movepool for a seemingly offensive mon. 99 Base speed is > 90 but not high enough to the point where it easily sweeps without a Speed boost.

Really strange was more obviously supported in the first overview but that got killed for being too negative. I think the overview covers how its a strange mon. If more people also find it strange and desire change than I'll go ahead and alter the overview.

If your having trouble finding where I listed the shortcomings look no further then the second paragraph P:.

All right Melee Mewtwo does this look good.

move 3: Thunder / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Substitute / Thunder / Hidden Power Fire / Focus Blast

All-out attacker might also want to be changed I think. But not necessarily sure how to go about that. I really have never seen and only used Night Slash once.

Psyshock in Moves incase you hate Amoonguss.

I'll also go ahead and add Jirachi / Metagross / Steel Arceus in Counters.

The only change I'll make until Mewtwo responds is the Checks and Counters change.

I'll move this back to QC phase.

Would 156spa work for the geo set? The only relevant thing you miss after a geo boost is the OHKO on 252hp arceus after rocks.

Last edited:

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know why no one has caught this yet... On the All-out Attacker set, either list Close Combat and/or Night Slash somewhere on the set, or change the nature to Modest and recommend Rash / Mild when you mention CC and NS in the write-up.

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
NixHex we were trying to find the best moveset for All-out-attacking Xerneas via IRC / PS and I was applying those changes, so that's really why the natures didn't match up earlier. It was really an error on my part for not changing the natures but everything's been corrected now.

Fireburn and Melee Mewtwo both agree that the analysis is now fine, but since its had some changes I do think one more GP check is appropriate.
GatoDelFuego could you help Xerneas get one last GP check please P:?

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
...Reallocating the HP EVs into Defense is an option to make Xermeas more physically bulky...
Just a small thing, there is a "Xermeas" instead of Xerneas near the beginning of Set Details on the Geomancy set (4th line of it for me).

(I would quote it, but i am on mobile so it would be a pain)
(edit: quoted for convenience)

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
polop

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Xerneas is a rather strange Pokemon. Due to its ability, Fairy Aura, Xerneas's Moonblast hits about as hard as a Life Orb-boosted Sacred Fire from Ho-Oh. After setting up a Geomancy, it can OHKO every Pokemon that does not resist Moonblast, barring Blissey and Chansey, so it can stand as a great win condition for teams. As a result, it gives a niche to Pokemon normally unviable in Ubers. Xerneas is by far one of the bulkiest Fairy-types in the tier, and it can run sets that are able to massacre Dragon-types such as Palkia, Zekrom, and Giratina. Xerneas's immunity to Dragon-type moves, most notably Draco Meteor and Outrage, allow it to not just wall these Dragon-types, but to potentially set up on them as well. With access to Aromatherapy, Close Combat, and Calm Mind, Xerneas is able to run a wide array of sets, which will punish opponents if they switch in the wrong counter. With a base Speed of 99, Xerneas is able to outspeed many of the base 90s that roam the Uber tier without a Choice Scarf or a Speed boost.

However, while Xerneas's base Speed stat is higher than that of many Ubers, including Dialga and Kyogre, it isn't high enough for Xerneas to sweep freely. Xerneas also relies on Fairy Aura to compensate for its base 131 Special Attack, which is somewhat underwhelming when compared to the Special Attack stats of other Ubers. Furthermore, while its Fairy typing provides it an immunity to Dragon-type attacks, making it easier to utilize setup moves, it renders Xerneas weak to Poison-type moves, so Mega Gengar can trap and destroy Xerneas if given the chance. Xerneas's movepool is another issue too, although it's diverse, it's limited in what it can provide. For example, while Xerneas receives two potent setup moves, its lack of coverage moves means that it will always be unable to get past certain counters. In fact, Xerneas is one of the few Ubers that cannot rewrite its list of counters by switching to a different set, so it is difficult for Xerneas to sweep an enemy team unless it is given a good amount of team support. Xerneas also lacks reliable recovery outside of Rest, so it is very difficult for Xerneas to run defensive sets and outlast its counters. All in all, Xerneas is no one-trick pony, because what it lacks in its stats and movepool is easily made up for with its typing, ability, and sheer versatility.

Geomancy
########
move 3: Thunder
move 4: Focus Blast / Substitute / Hidden Power Fire

Moves
========

When used in conjunction with Power Herb, Geomancy allows Xerneas to raise its Special Attack and Speed to frightening levels in a single turn, making Xerneas a very potent sweeper. Moonblast is Xerneas's strongest and most reliable STAB move, and after a Geomancy, it essentially OHKOes anything that does not resist it unless the target has a ridiculous amount of special bulk. Substitute not only shields Xerneas from status, allowing it to better combat Chansey and Thundurus, but it also eases its ability to set up with Geomancy. Using Substitute forces the opponent to attack or phaze Xerneas out, and so they generally have to switch out or attack twice, giving Xerneas an opportunity to set up with Geomancy even after its Power Herb has been consumed. The rest of the moves provide coverage on Pokemon that a boosted Moonblast fails to OHKO. Thunder OHKOes Ho-Oh and Lugia after Stealth Rock, deals solid damage to specially defensive Kyogre, and whacks Steel-types that resist Moonblast, such as Heatran, Scizor, Bronzong, and Aegislash, for solid neutral damage. Focus Blast rounds out coverage by massacring Steel-types that aren't Aegislash, Mega Scizor, or Bronzong. Hidden Power Fire hits Aegislash super effectively and reliably OHKOes Scizor and Ferrothorn, but does not do much else. Do note that although Hidden Power Fire hits Aegislash hard after a Geomancy, it cannot reliably land a 2HKO unless it is boosted by sun.

Xerneas has one unlisted move that it can use on this set: Psyshock. Psyshock OHKOes Poison-types, namely Amoonguss and Poison Arceus, while providing Xerneas a way to 2HKO Calm Chansey. It also OHKOes Ho-Oh after it has taken Stealth Rock damage. However, using Psyshock is not always recommended, as it will significantly impair Xerneas's coverage.

Set Details
========

The current EV spread maximizes Xerneas's Special Attack and allows it to outspeed Mewtwo after its used Geomancy if Sticky Web is up. EVs are then placed into Defense to ensure opposing Genesect receive a Special Attack boost. The rest of the EVs are placed in HP to make Xerneas more bulky in general. Reallocating the HP EVs into Defense is an option to make Xermeas more physically bulky, primarily so it will take less damage from priority moves such as Arceus's Extreme Speed and Scizor's Bullet Punch. These EVs will also help Xerneas tank attacks including Gyro Ball and Iron Head from Steel-types such as Bronzong that try to counter it such as Bronzong. However, (AC) this investment in Defense doesn't change any notable OHKOes into 2HKOes. If it is desired, the EVs in Defense can be reallocated to HP for better mixed bulk and to make it easier for Xerneas to better tank special hits. Fully investing in Speed and Special Attack is also a viable option, as it gives Xerneas some utility and allows it to outspeed things before it uses Geomancy. However, after a boost, the extra Speed is mostly superfluous, and it does nothing aside from allowing Xerneas to outrun a few Choice Scarf users such as Shaymin-S and Darkrai, which are beaten anyway due to Geomancy's Special Defense boost. Geomancy Xerneas runs a Modest nature so that its attacks are as strong as possible, allowing it to sweep teams more easily. If you fear an opposing Xerneas setting up Geomancy alongside yours, a Timid nature is usable so that Xerneas is at least guaranteed to Speed tie with it. However, there is not much else doing this accomplishes, and the loss of power is noticeable, as Xerneas now fails to do things like OHKO Lugia with a boosted Moonblast after Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

While Geomancy is an excellent setup move at Xerneas's disposal, it requires Power Herb to be used, meaning that Xerneas can only set up with Geomancy once per game, unlike other sweepers that can set up multiple times throughout a match. As such, Xerneas should not use Geomancy until its checks have been weakened to the point that they can be brought down by Geomancy-boosted attacks. Using Geomancy too early in a match will be ineffective, as Xerneas will find itself unable to bypass certain walls. If needed, it can lure in its own counters, such as Choice Band Scizor, and hit them hard with coverage moves such as Focus Blast so that they can be KOed by a Geomancy-boosted attack later on.

While Geomancy Xerneas is first and foremost a sweeper that can serve as an excellent win condition for a team, it should be noted that it has further utility. Being a Fairy-type, it has a very nice defensive typing, so it is capable of switching into a Zekrom's Outrage or a Giratina-O's Draco Meteor and threaten to KO with Moonblast. Although Power Herb is only used to make Geomancy viable, and is generally a bad item as it does not boost Xerneas's damage output, it's very useful for allowing Xerneas to bluff another set. As no text is shown until after Xerneas has used Geomancy, it can bluff a Choice Scarf very well, which can potentially let it snag an extra KO.

Team Options
========

Xerneas's primary focus is sweeping the opposing team, so partners that can weaken its counters or trap and kill them are appreciated. The most notable of these partners is Mega Gengar, which can trap and use Focus Blast to KO most Steel-types that resist Moonblast. It can also weaken Aegislash that lack Shadow Sneak and defeat Lugia through a combination of Taunt and STAB Shadow Ball. Chansey is also defeated by Mega Gengar, as it cannot hurt or escape from Mega Gengar and will be defeated by Focus Blast and Taunt. Yveltal is similar to Mega Gengar in that it can wear down all of Xerneas's counters, but it does not have the ability to trap them with Shadow Tag. Unlike Gengar, Yveltal can defeat Amoonguss and support Arceus formes, though. It should be noted that Stealth Rock support is very useful to Xerneas in general, as it not only helps wear down Xerneas's counters, but it drops most of them into OHKO range of Xerneas's attacks. For example, Stealth Rock will remove Lugia's Multiscale and a large chunk of its health, allowing Xerneas to OHKO it with a boosted Moonblast. This is also true for Ho-Oh, as after losing 50% of its HP to Stealth Rock, it can be KOed by Psyshock or Thunder.

If Xerneas's sweep is halted, the Pokemon that stops it is most likely only good for tanking hits, which makes it, ironically, setup bait for another sweeper. For this reason, additional sweepers, primarily Tailwind Zekrom, are great partners for Xerneas, as they can pick up from where it left off and proceed to sweep the opposing team. Zekrom is a particularly good partner for Xerneas, as Xerneas can easily set up on any Amoonguss, Bronzong, or Aegislash weakened by Zekrom's assault, and it can also help break walls such as Ho-Oh and Amoonguss. As another plus, all of Zekrom's counters—Hippowdon, Groudon, and Ground Arceus—can't do much to Xerneas, which means the deer can potentially set up a Geomancy on them after they have taken considerable damage from Zekrom.

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Moonblast
move 2: Close Combat / Hidden Power Fire
move 3: Thunder / Rock Slide
move 4: Aromatherapy / Hidden Power Fire
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Mild / Rash

Moves
========

This set focuses on spamming Moonblast, which is frighteningly powerful due to the boosts from STAB and Fairy Aura. The rest of the moves are there solely for the purpose of removing Pokemon that can absorb Moonblast. Close Combat deals massive damage to Steel-types, OHKOes Blissey, and 2HKOes Chansey. It is accurate and is also able to secure a 2HKO on Klefki. Hidden Power Fire lets Xerneas OHKOes Scizor and Ferrothorn while 2HKOing Aegislash and Bronzong under sun. Thunder is inaccurate, but it hits most Steel-types neutrally, OHKOes Ho-Oh if Stealth Rock is up, and OHKOes offensive Kyogre after it has switched into Stealth Rock twice. Focus Blast deals massive damage to Steel-types;, (comma) namely Heatran and Steel Arceus. Aromatherapy is also an option on this set, and though it doesn't deal damage, Xerneas can use it to relieve a desperate team of crippling status conditions. As another bonus, Xerneas's offensive presence helps it score free turns to use Aromatherapy, something no other cleric can boast. Xerneas can run specific moves to help beat down certain walls that it may come up against. Night Slash is a decent move because it is Xerneas's strongest move against Aegislash. Night Slash is the only move that Xerneas can use to reliably waltz around Aegislash, but it is vulnerable to King's Shield and only 3HKOes Aegislash at best. Grass Knot OHKOes support Rock Arceus and Water Arceus while hitting Kyogre hard.

Set Details
========

Life Orb provides a large boost to all of Xerneas's moves, but its recoil might make it undesirable on certain teams. Pixie Plate and Expert Belt are both viable alternatives to Life Orb, and they both allow Xerneas to bluff other sets, while Life Orb cannot. The boosts the two items provide, however, are smaller and less consistent than Life Orb. If Expert Belt is run, a spread of 140 Atk / 184 SpA / 184 Spe is recommended, as it allows Xerneas to 2HKO Chansey with Close Combat 100% of the time and outspeed base 90s.

Xerneas can shift EVs from Speed into Attack to hit harder with its physical attacks. A spread of 70 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe gives up Xerneas's ability to Speed tie with Yveltal and Genesect in exchange for a slightly more powerful Close Combat and Rock Slide. When boosted by Expert Belt, Rock Slide has a decent chance to OHKO offensive Ho-Oh, and when boosted by Life Orb, bears a higher chance to OHKO 252 HP Ho-Oh.

Xerneas generally perefers a nature that boosts its Special Attack, as the power boost lets it do interesting things like 2HKO Ssupport Arceus. If Xerneas goes mixed, it generally runs a Mild nature, which reduces its Defense, as the Special Defense stat helps it better absorb a Dark Pulse or Oblivion Wing from Yveltal. However, a Rash nature can be run if an unhindered Defense stat is required by its team. A Special Attack-boosting nature is recommended on Xerneas to give Moonblast maximum power, but a Speed-boosting nature, such as Naive or Hasty, is also viable as it allows Xerneas to Speed tie with opposing Yveltal in exchange for a bit of power.

Usage Tips
========

Xerneas's main goal is not to sweep, but to break walls for its team by spamming strong Moonblasts. As such, it should not try to sweep unless the Pokemon on the other team are all slower than Xerneas. A teammate should try to capitalize from the holes Xerneas creates in the opposing team in order to sweep.

Xerneas's bulk is reduced by its nature, so it should be very careful when switching in as to conserve its HP. However, at the same time, Xerneas should be switched in as often as possible to wear down enemy walls such as Aegislash. Xerneas should not be afraid to reveal that it has Night Slash or Hidden Power Fire, as the move can 3HKO Aegislash, but if Xerneas is holding an Expert Belt or a Pixie Plate, hiding the moves might be worth it. Due to its item, it can bluff a Choice Scarf set very well, and as such can help it secure additional KOs. For example, pretending that Xerneas is locked into Moonblast can be very useful for luring Ho-Oh out and OHKOing it with Rock Slide. The main idea of this set is to wreck walls and weaken Pokemon that can take a Moonblast in order to spam it later on. Therefore, if the opposing team has few Pokemon that can tank Moonblast, Moonblast should be spammed as often as possible.

Team Options
========

If the Xerneas user can correctly predict when Aegislash will switch in, then Xerneas can defeat it. However, becausince such prediction is difficult, Pokemon that can wear down Xerneas's counters for it are appreciated. Scizor is one of the best partners for Xerneas, as it is capable of trapping and killing Aegislash with the combination of Swords Dance and Pursuit. It can prevent Xerneas from losing momentum, and can act as a sweeper that takes advantage of the holes Xerneas busts in opposing teams. Mega Gengar can function similarly to Scizor, trapping Lugia and defeating it with Taunt and Shadow Ball. Life Orb Yveltal is like Mega Gengar in that it can easily defeat Xerneas's counters, but it cannot trap them. However, Yveltal gets U-turn, which can be used to grant Xerneas opportunities to switch in. In general, Pokemon that can provide offensive pressure are useful because they can keep Pokemon that wall Xerneas at bay. They can also provide momentum and help get Xerneas into play. Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock are beneficial for Xerneas too, as Stealth Rock will damage Pokemon when Xerneas forces switches. Furthermore, Stealth Rock allows Xerneas to OHKO Ho-Oh with Thunder, and breaks Multiscale, preventing Lugia from absorbing Moonblast comfortably.

The fact that most of Xerneas's counters are rather weak and have difficulty stopping other sweepers is particularly noteworthy. Combine this with Xerneas's ability to defeat walls on the opposing team, and it seems almost mandatory that Xerneas should be paired with a sweeper. Tailwind Zekrom is perhaps the best sweeper that can be partnered with Life Orb Xerneas, as it can defeat Lugia, Ho-Oh, and just about anything that walls Xerneas. Additionally, Zekrom can set up a Tailwind and use Volt Switch on most of Xerneas's counters;, (comma) greatly aiding Xerneas in tormenting the other team. Tailwind provides Xerneas a boost to its Speed, making it an even more frightening threat, and Volt Switch provides momentum for the team.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Roar / Aromatherapy
move 2: Rest
move 3: Sleep Talk
move 4: Moonblast
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========

Xerneas's unique typing and high HP stat let it run a bulky set capable of walling Dragon-types very well. Roar allows Xerneas to phaze out Pokemon that may try to set up on it, whereas Aromatherapy allows Xerneas to cure the status conditions of the entire team. Xerneas's only form of recovery is Rest, but its bulk means that it is often able to survive the two turns of sleep. Sleep Talk prevents Xerneas from being completely helpless when asleep, and Moonblast can OHKO the Dragon-types that Xerneas checks. Due to Fairy Aura, Moonblast hits decently hard even without Special Attack investment, and can OHKO Zekrom and Rayquaza while 2HKOing Assault Vest Palkia. It is important to keep in mind that Xerneas will wake up if Sleep Talk selects Aromatherapy, making the sleep turns from Rest less of a nuisance.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread is designed to boost Xerneas's longevity as well as provide more healing from Leftovers, and 248 HP EVs are run instead of 252 HP EVs in order to lessen the damage it takes from Stealth Rock. A Calm nature and maximum investment in Special Defense lets Xerneas check Palkia well. For reference, Hydro Pump from Lustrous Orb Palkia fails to 2HKO Xerneas while it can OHKO in return with Moonblast. Maximum investment in Defense instead of Special Defense is also an option, as it will allow Xerneas to check Zekrom nicely as well as avoid a 2HKO from Ho-Oh's Life Orb-boosted Brave Bird.

Usage Tips
========

This Xerneas's worst enemy is Mega Gengar, so be very cautious when playing against it. Xerneas can potentially beat Gengar by damaging it with Moonblast as it switches in, fleeing, smashing it on the switch again, and then KOing Mega Gengar after tanking a Sludge Wave.

Due to Fairy Aura, Moonblast is strong even without investment, so you shouldn't be afraid to attack with Xerneas if it's needed. However, Xerneas shouldn't be played recklessly, and shouldn't be forced to stomach extremely powerful special attacks if other Pokemon can tank them better. While Rest heals Xerneas completely, it leaves Xerneas vulnerable for a few turns, so it should only be used when Xerneas is in a pinch. In a similar fashion, Aromatherapy and Roar should not be used recklessly with the idea that Xerneas can just heal itself later with Rest. For example, if you predict that a Gengar is coming in on Xerneas, use Moonblast instead of Aromatherapy. This is because Gengar isn't too much of a threat to Xerneas before it Mega Evolves, but later on, Mega Gengar will likely prevent Xerneas from doing much.

Unlike with other sets, this Xerneas variant is quite slow and uncharacteristically bulky, and as a result, it can use Aromatherapy in front of most Pokemon that check its other sets. For example, Aegislash's Gyro Ball fails to land a 3HKO, meaning that Xerneas can safely use Aromatherapy before quickly switching out.

Team Options
========

Xerneas is supposed to check Pokemon for the team, so it doesn't need much team support. It appreciates Pokemon that can trap Gengar with Pursuit, such as Mega Scizor, Choice Band Scizor, and Tyranitar. However, Tyranitar takes heavy damage from Focus Blast. In return, Xerneas can use Aromatherapy to relieve burns that Tyranitar and Scizor mayight receive. Most importantly, Xerneas should not be used like an inferior Sylveon or Clefable, as it has more power, more physical bulk, and access to Roar. However, Xerneas cannot support its team with Wish, Sylveon has more special bulk than Xerneas, and Clefable has Unaware and Knock Off to harass certain setup sweepers.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Megahorn
move 3: Focus Blast / Close Combat
move 4: Rock Slide / Sleep Talk
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 76 Atk / 248 SpA / 184 Spe
nature: Rash

Moves
========

A Choice Scarf boosts Xerneas's Speed to amazing levels, allowing Xerneas to revenge kill a great number of threatening sweepers in the tier. Moonblast is a strong STAB move that will leave a dent in any Pokemon that tries to switch in and prevents Mega Mewtwo X from sweeping. In fact, Xerneas can sweep late-game with Moonblast if the opposing team is sufficiently weakened. Megahorn OHKOes Mega Mewtwo Y and Focus Blast deals heavy damage to Steel-types that resist Moonblast, namely Heatran and Ferrothorn. Close Combat deals less damage to most Steel-types, but it 2HKOes Blissey. Rock Slide allows Xerneas to lure in and deal very heavy damage to Ho-Oh, which otherwise walls Xerneas. With Sleep Talk, Xerneas is one of the best Darkrai checks in the game, as it can absorb Dark Void and have a near 100% chance of OHKOing the fiend the next turn if it stays in.

Set Details
========

With a Choice Scarf, Xerneas can practically outspeed the entire unboosted Ubers metagame, giving it a great revenge killing utility and late-game sweeping potential. The current EV spread maximizes Xerneas's Special Attack and invests enough in Attack to guarantee an OHKO on Mega Mewtwo Y after Stealth Rock. The rest of the EVs are invested in Speed to make Xerneas as fast as possible. A spread that maximizes Special Attack and Speed is viable if Xerneas is focused on sweeping late-game with Moonblast, but only if the team already has a check to Mega Mewtwo Y. The greater Speed also helps against opposing Choice Scarf Xerneas and Yveltal. The EVs invested in Attack can be shifted from Special Attack instead of Speed, but doing so may make it harder for Xerneas to sweep, as it might fail to KO certain Pokemon. A Rash nature is used over a Mild nature because decreasing Xerneas's defense will lead to an OHKO from a boosted Extreme Killer Arceus's Extreme Speed or a Life Orb Ho-Oh's Brave Bird. HoweverMeanwhile, decreasing Xerneas's Special Defense does not turn any 2HKOs into OHKOs. A Mild nature is not unviable though, as when Xerneas switches into Yveltal to check it, the nature will decrease the damage taken from Oblivion Wing. Xerneas can utilize a nature that increases its Speed, but this is unadvised, as it will weaken Moonblast and hurt Xerneas's ability to clean late-game.

Usage Tips
========

Xerneas should generally be switched in as the opposing Pokemon is setting up rather than when they are attacking. For example, Xerneas should try to switch into Mega Mewtwo X when it uses Bulk Up instead of when it uses Zen Headbutt. This preserves Xerneas's longevity, allows it check certain Pokemon continuously throughout a match, and gives it the ability to sweep late-game. If switching Xerneas in on a non-attacking move is impossible, it is recommended to sacrifice a Pokemon to get Xerneas in safely.

Xerneas can absorb Darkrai's Dark Void and proceed to checkmate it with Sleep Talk, but doing this is not recommended when Xerneas is the only check to a Pokemon on the opposing team. When Xerneas is asleep, it will not be able to function as a reliable revenge killer, and so caution is advised if Xerneas is running Sleep Talk. In this situation, if it is impossible to prevent Xerneas from being put to sleep, it is best to try to stall out Xerneas's sleep turns so it can be more effective later on.

Xerneas will generally be able to revenge kill at least one Pokemon before the opponent realizes it's holding a Choice Scarf. Afterwards, the opponent will generally switch to a counter in order to scout out the move Xerneas is locked into. To prevent Xerneas from becoming useless after its set is revealed, don't try to play it safe. Instead, attempt to predict the Pokemon that will come in. For example, if the opponent has a Ho-Oh in the wings and knows that Xerneas holds a Choice Scarf, then when Xerneas is out, it should use Rock Slide to whack the incoming Ho-Oh for solid damage.

Team Options
========

This Xerneas is a revenge killer, so it doesn't really need much support. However, partners to deal with the Pokemon that can tank Xerneas's hits can help reduce the need for prediction. Mega Gengar and Swords Dance Scizor with Pursuit excel in this role, as they can trap and KO certain Pokemon, such as Lugia, allowing Xerneas to revenge kill threats more reliably. Xerneas enjoys entry hazard support, especially Stealth Rock, as itwhich allows Xerneas to OHKO Ho-Oh with Rock Slide. Furthermore, Stealth Rock punishes opponents (remove space) that switch out fearing they will be revenge killed, allowing Xerneas to better sweep through the opposing team.

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 4: Substitute / Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire
item: Leftovers
evs: 44 HP / 240 SpA / 224 Spe

Moves
========

Xerneas can choose to set up and sweep with Calm Mind instead of Geomancy. Although the boost Calm Mind provides is less immediate and does not affect Xerneas's Speed, the move is still is a viable option as it can be used multiple times in a match and does not restrict Xerneas's item choice. Moonblast is Xerneas's strongest STAB move and hits ridiculously hard after a boost. A boosted Thunder OHKOes Ho-Oh after Stealth Rock and hits most Steel-types, namely Bronzong, Aegislash, and Heatran, for neutral damage. Psyshock is also viable as it hits Poison-types, especially Amoonguss, very hard and can also OHKO Ho-Oh after Stealth Rock. Xerneas can use Substitute on this set much better than it can on the Geomancy set due to Leftovers and the fact that its Substitutes can tank a Seismic Toss from Chansey. Substitute provides Xerneas with protection from Thundurus-I and Chansey's status moves and allows it to play mind games with Aegislash. Aegislash cannot use Toxic on Xerneas due to Substitute, so it will be forced to use Gyro Ball. In response, Xerneas can either use Substitute as Aegislash uses King's Shield or predict a second Gyro Ball and OHKO with Thunder. Focus Blast hits Steel-types super effectively and lets Xerneas smash huge holes in enemy Heatran and Ferrothorn, whereas Hidden Power Fire OHKOes Ferrothorn and 2HKOes Aegislash in the sun after a Calm Mind boost.

Set Details
========

Leftovers increases Xerneas's longevity and helps it make an extra Substitute, but other items such as Life Orb can be used too. Life Orb boosts the power of Xerneas's attacks, and after a Calm Mind, Life Orb Xerneas is about as powerful its Geomancy counterpart. The EV spread invests enough in HP for Xerneas to make Substitutes that can tank a Seismic Toss from Chansey, and allows Xerneas to survive a boosted Extreme Speed from Silk Scarf Extreme Killer Arceus. The EVs in Speed are enough for it to outspeed all neutral-natured Rayquaza, Kyurem-W, and Kyurem-B, Does "neutral-natured" apply to all of these or just Rayquaza? If just Rayquaza, rearrange and put it at the end and the rest of the EVs are dumped into Special Attack to give Xerneas more power. If the team Xerneas is on can handle Chansey, then a Life Orb and a spread that maximizes Special Attack and Speed can be used. A Bold nature and a spread that maximizes HP and Defense is also viable to make Xerneas a bulky sweeper. Thanks to all the investment in its bulk, Xerneas is only 4HKOed by Aegislash's Gyro Ball. If such a spread is used, then Rest can be run in tandem with a Chesto Berry or Sleep Talk to restore Xerneas's HP. This Xerneas runs a Modest nature for the extra power, but if it is desired, a Timid nature can be used so that Xerneas will always outspeed Rayquaza, Kyurem-W, and Kyurem-B. Additionally, it will allow Xerneas to Speed tie with max Speed Yveltal and Xerneas, but it is generally inferior to a Modest nature due to the decrease in Xerneas's power and the boost it gives to an opposing Aegislash or Bronzong's Gyro Ball.

Usage Tips
========

Unlike with Geomancy, Xerneas can set up with Calm Mind after it has been forced out. However, Calm Mind does not increase Xerneas's Speed, so it should utilize the boost in order to power through a counter. Xerneas is not deemed useless if it is forced out in the process, so it should not be scared of enemy phazers. While Calm Mind lets Xerneas power through checks, it should be not used immediately. Xerneas should try to lure out and hit its counters as hard as it can and set up with Calm Mind to land the final blow. It should start sweeping only when it's sure it can beat its counters with a Calm Mind boost. It's best for Xerneas to set up a Calm Mind on a Pokemon that it can force out or has trouble breaking its Substitute. Alternatively, Calm Mind Xerneas can feign a defensive set, which it will appear to be running when Leftovers are shown, and then lure in Pokemon it can set up on.

Because this Xerneas cannot boost its Speed, it has issues with revenge killers and Mega Gengar, so one should try to lure them out and kill them quickly. A Xerneas with Leftovers will excel at taking out Mega Gengar, as it can pretend to be a helpless defensive Xerneas and then proceed to smite it with a Psyshock. A Substitute can also help in combating revenge killers, as it will allow Xerneas to take a hit, retaliate, and then switch out.

Team Options
========

Good partners for Calm Mind Xerneas are similar to those for Geomancy Xerneas. However, unlike Geomancy Xerneas, Calm Mind Xerneas wants a Pursuit trapper for Gengar and defensive pivots that can take hits from revenge killers. Calm Mind Xerneas also appreciates the support of Life Orb Yveltal or Zekrom to break its counters. Mega Gengar and Scizor running Swords Dance and Pursuit also work well, as they can trap and KO Xerneas's counters. Stealth Rock is also greatly appreciated, as it breaks Lugia's Multiscale and allows Xerneas to KO Ho-Oh with an unboosted Thunder or a boosted Psyshock.

Other Options
########

There is one item that Xerneas can run to deal with Mega Gengar which has not been mentioned yet: Shed Shell. Shed Shell allows Xerneas to escape from Mega Gengar and reduces the need for a Pursuit trapper, but it is useless outside of this one function. Another item Xerneas can use is Choice Specs, as a Choice Specs-boosted Moonblast hits frighteningly hard. However, the power boost it provides doesn't help Xerneas break through any of its checks, and as a result, a Choice Specs set isn't very effective.

Xerneas has a diverse movepool, but it doesn't get what it needs, such as a more useful Fire-type move. As a result, it has a lot of options that are inferior to the ones previously mentioned. Ingrain and Roar can both be used on a Geomancy or a Calm Mind set to prevent Xerneas from being phazed out, but it is hurt by the coverage it loses. Flash Cannon hits other Xerneas and Fairy Arceus super effectively, but does nothing notable outside of that. Close Combat can be used on Geomancy and Calm Mind sets to 2HKO incoming Blissey, but it provides coverage on nothing else, so it tends to be useless most of the time. Grass Knot can be used to OHKO Groudon and 2HKO Kyogre, Rock Arceus, and Water Arceus, but does nothing else. A bulky ChestoRest Xerneas can utilize Reflect to set up multiple Calm Minds on Scizor, Bronzong, Aegislash, and Pokemon that rely on a strong physical Steel-type move to check it. However, Reflect is quite useless otherwise.

Checks & Counters
########

**Specially Defensive Fire Arceus**: Specially defensive Fire Arceus outspeeds Xerneas, can take any move from it, boosted or unboosted, and phaze it out. ItFire Arceus can also set up six Calm Minds on every Xerneas variant except for defensive Xerneas with Roar.

**Jirachi**: Jirachi resists Moonblast and is barely 2HKOed by Geomancy -boosted Hidden Power Fire, allowing it to safely status Xerneas with Thunder Wave or Toxic. It can then proceed to 3HKO Xerneas with Iron Head or stall its HP out with Wish and Protect. It dislikes Night Slash from Xerneas though and must be at full HP to be able to take Xerneas on without getting 2HKOed.

**Metagross**: Metagross can 2HKO all Xerneas unless it has maximized its defenses with the combination of Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch. Its defenses boosted by Assault Vest let it take any Geomancy -boosted move and its naturally high physical defense lets it easily shrug off a stray Night Slash.

**Steel Arceus**: Specially Ddefensive Steel Arceus barely avoids getting OHKOed by a Geomancy -boosted Focus Blast from Xerneas and can phaze it out with Roar. It can also hit Xerneas with a super effective Judgment that 2HKOes even the most specially defensive Xerneas.

**Specially Defensive Kyogre**: Specially defensive Kyogre can take any move, even a Geomancy-boosted Thunder, and phaze Xerneas out. It does not struggle with any particular Xerneas set but does not enjoy facing Calm Mind variants, as repeated Calm Mind- and Life Orb-boosted Thunders will overwhelm it. It should be noted that specially defensive Kyogre walls defensive Xerneas and vice versa, as Xerneas cannot overcome Kyogre with Moonblast while Kyogre cannot hit it very hard with Scald. Rest places the two in a gridlock, as they can both heal off the damage they've taken from each other's attacks. Xerneas running either Ingrain or Roar alongside a boosting move will overwhelm Kyogre, though.

**Chansey and Blissey**: Chansey and Blissey can completely wall Geomancy Xerneas and use Toxic to damage it, but they fear Close Combat from Life Orb Xerneas. They are walled by defensive Xerneas, but also wall it in return. This is because Chansey and Blissey can heal off the damage they take from Moonblast while Xerneas can Rest off the damage dealt to it by Toxic and Seismic Toss. However, they are complete setup bait for Calm Mind Xerneas running Substitute or RestTalk.

**Lugia**: If Stealth Rock has not been set up, Lugia can take any hit from a boosted Xerneas and Whirlwind it out. Lugia can status Xerneas variants that don't set up, and can wall them as long as Stealth Rock is not up. It should be noted that defensive Xerneas will keep Lugia in a gridlock and Calm Mind or Geomancy Xerneas with Ingrain will overwhelm it.

**Aegislash**: Aegislash's huge defenses and Steel typing let it take pittance from every move Xerneas can throw at it. In return, Aegislash can poison Xerneas with Toxic or utilize a strong Iron Head or Gyro Ball whichthat if used repeatedly, will overwhelm it. However, Aegislash is setup bait for physically defensive variants of Xerneas with Calm Mind. It does not enjoy taking a Night Slash or a sun-boosted Hidden Power Fire either. It also has difficulty with Calm Mind Xerneas running Substitute, as it will have to predict if Xerneas will attack it while it is in Blade forme. Aegislash does not take too much damage from a defensive Xerneas's Moonblast, but does not do much in return with Gyro Ball, so they essentially wall each other.

**Ho-Oh**: If Stealth Rock is not up, Ho-Oh can tank an attack from Geomancy or Calm Mind Xerneas and retaliate with a sun-boosted Sacred Fire, damage it with a Life Orb-boosted Brave Bird, or phaze it out with Whirlwind. However, Ho-Oh hates Rock Slide and will succumb to a boosted Psyshock or Thunder after Stealth Rock damage.

**Bronzong**: Bronzong is like Aegislash, except that it's weaker, not as bulky, and hit neutrally by Focus Blast. However, it is slower than Aegislash, which lets it deal a bit more damage with Gyro Ball. It can also run Light Screen to cushion hits and help the rest of its team take out Xerneas in the event that it goes down.

**Amoonguss**: Amoonguss with Sludge Bomb and Clear Smog completely stops all Xerneas sets lacking Psyshock, but it is OHKOed by ones with the move. Defensive Xerneas does not take much damage from Amoonguss's Sludge Bomb and can use Rest to recover HP. At the same time though, its Moonblast will deal pitiful damage to Amoonguss, though, so both Pokemon essentially wall each other.

**Poison Arceus**: Poison Arceus resists Moonblast, can hit Xerneas hard with a super effective Sludge Bomb or Judgment, and doesn't really fear any of Xerneas's moves, so it can set up with Calm Mind against Xerneas. A Calm Mind- or Geomancy-boosted Psyshock is the only way Xerneas can really hurt it.

**Scizor**: Mega Scizor and Choice Band Scizor can tank non-super effective hits from Geomancy Xerneas and 2HKO it with Bullet Punch. However, they will be severely weakened in the process. Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch, if fully invested, can 3HKO the most physically bulky Xerneas, which prevents Mega Scizor from being setup bait and allows it to defeat Xerneas running Rest.

**Priority**: Xerneas is fairly bulky, but priority moves can take out a weakened Xerneas or cripple a healthy one, regardless of the boosts it has obtained. Arceus can use a Life Orb- or Silk Scarf-boosted Extreme Speed to pick off weakened Xerneas. As a last resort, Mega Kangaskhan can spam Fake Out and switch out if needed to wear down and KO it. However, this will require Xerneas to have been heavily weakened beforehand or else it will take out a majority of Mega Kangaskhan's team. Thundurus can paralyze Geomancy Xerneas even if it has set up, but is useless against other variants, which don't fear much and can just switch out. Additionally, a Substitute can completely nullify Thundurus's effectiveness as a check, and it should be noted that most defensive Xerneas don't mind facing Thundurus at all.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar can trap all Xerneas and smash them with a super effective Sludge Bomb or Sludge Wave. However, a Geomancy-boosted Xerneas outspeeds and easily OHKOes Mega Gengar with Psyshock. Note that Gengar cannot switch into Xerneas directly or Mega Evolve in front of it. A Shed Shell also renders all of Mega Gengar's attempts to revenge kill Xerneas useless.

**Klefki**: Klefki resists Moonblast due to its Steel typing, and thanks to Prankster it can paralyze Geomancy Xerneas, allowing its teammates to pick Xerneas off. Against defensive Xerneas, though, it can set up Spikes. It really only fears Xerneas that run Substitute with either Calm Mind or Geomancy.

**Lucario**: Mega Lucario can outspeed and OHKO even the most defensive variants of Xerneas with Iron Tail. It can also pick off weakened Xerneas with Bullet Punch. However, it cannot switch in on Moonblast and is troubled by Xerneas with Substitute. If it has not received too much damage, a Geomancy-boosted Xerneas can OHKO Mega Lucario and avoid being KOed.

**Clefable**: Clefable can wall all Xerneas, thanks to Unaware, that do not hold a Life Orb if Stealth Rock is not up. It can then proceed to status Xerneas and hurt it with Seismic Toss. If the opposing Xerneas does hold a Life Orb or if Stealth Rock is up, however, then Clefable will be unable to avoid getting 2HKOed by Moonblast. It should also be noted that Clefable cannot break through defensive Xerneas, but at the same time defensive Xerneas can do nothing to it.

**Ditto**: Ditto can copy Xerneas that have used Geomancy and threaten to sweep. It should be noted that Ditto cannot switch into Geomancy Xerneas and is completely useless against any other set.

**Revenge Killers**: Choice Scarf users such as Genesect with a STAB super effective move such as Iron Head can OHKO Xerneas that have yet to set up with Geomancy.

whatever/2

Last edited:
On the All-Out Attacker set, I noticed that the Moves section has no explanation for Rock Slide. Is this intentional? I mean it should be obvious that the target is Ho-Oh, but it's weird that it only shows up in Set Details.

Also, this is just a question: is the SpD spread still the preferred option for most teams on the Defensive set? I've noticed people hyping up the Def spread w/ Aromatherapy recently, but I'm not sure if their opinion is representative of QC consensus.

**Klefki**: Klefki resists Moonblast due to its Steel typing, and thanks to Prankster it can paralyze Geomancy Xerneas, allowing its teammates to pick Xerneas off. Against defensive Xerneas, it can set up Spikes. It really only fears Xerneas that run Substitute with either Calm Mind or Geomancy.

Inaccurate, since play rough gets rid of sub, and then twave/toxic xern with no problem. Also, this should be at the top, since it's the most viable xern check in the meta.

e: can we remove all mentions of night slash please? that move is horrible lmao.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/misty-electric-grassy-terrain.3490321/
Misty Terrain (Fairy, Status 10PP) : The user covers the ground under everyone's feet with mist for five turns. This protects Pokémon on the ground from status conditions.

Maybe give it a mention in OO? On the geo set it bears similarities to the sub versus klefki, essentially a double-sided safeguard (it doesn't get regular safeguard); obviously it's worse than sub in most instances but vs klefki it's improved, imo could deserve an OO mention. Discuss?

Last edited:

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
Would 156spa work for the geo set? The only relevant thing you miss after a geo boost is the OHKO on 252hp arceus after rocks.
Xerneas still wants the most power it can possibly have, so I still think maximum Special Attack is best. Boosting its bulk further shouldn't change any KOes anyway.

On the All-Out Attacker set, I noticed that the Moves section has no explanation for Rock Slide. Is this intentional? I mean it should be obvious that the target is Ho-Oh, but it's weird that it only shows up in Set Details.
Also, this is just a question: is the SpD spread still the preferred option for most teams on the Defensive set? I've noticed people hyping up the Def spread w/ Aromatherapy recently, but I'm not sure if their opinion is representative of QC consensus.
Its erm, not intentional. I could've sworn it was mentioned earlier, added a comment on Rock Slide back into the analysis.

**Klefki**: Klefki resists Moonblast due to its Steel typing, and thanks to Prankster it can paralyze Geomancy Xerneas, allowing its teammates to pick Xerneas off. Against defensive Xerneas, it can set up Spikes. It really only fears Xerneas that run Substitute with either Calm Mind or Geomancy.
Inaccurate, since play rough gets rid of sub, and then twave/toxic xern with no problem. Also, this should be at the top, since it's the most viable xern check in the meta.

e: can we remove all mentions of night slash please? that move is horrible lmao.
The comment on Play Rough is correct so I'll change that.

Klefki gets 2HKOed by Life Orbed Close Combat and fares very awkwardly against opposing Xerneas that use Rest orch .

Misty Terrain (Fairy, Status 10PP) : The user covers the ground under everyone's feet with mist for five turns. This protects Pokémon on the ground from status conditions.

Maybe give it a mention in OO? On the geo set it bears similarities to the sub versus klefki, essentially a double-sided safeguard (it doesn't get regular safeguard); obviously it's worse than sub in most instances but vs klefki it's improved, imo could deserve an OO mention. Discuss?
I guess it could go in OO, but Substitutes funniest advantage is forcing Aegislash into Blade form and maybe forcing a Kings Shield which can be used to get up another Substitute and slowly wear down Aegislash. That's not something Misty Terrain can do. I'd actually like some further discussion before I implement this.

I would implement the GP check right away but I'm kinda busy so I'll edit this post and the title when I've done that. It should be done by tommorow.

I agree that klefki is not the best xern check, but it's the most viable. Also, it's one of the best answer to geoxern (much more of an immediate threat than any other sets are). And since, it's such as a powerful threat, you cannot afford to assume otherwise, since that possibly can cause an automatic loss for you. Also, it was my understanding that C&C should be ordered by viability.

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
I accidentally ignored this earlier. The answer to this is yes Specially Defensive is perfered a larger percent of the time. It checks Palkia and Yveltal is able to take more of the hits in the meta in general then physically defensive Xern. Physically Defensive Xerneas though CAN check Blaziken (Unfortunately fails if Sun / Sr is up) and Zekrom, which makes it very viable. Its currently in AC of Defensive right now for that reason.

Fine Orch, its been moved higher.

The GP check is also implemented so for now its done.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
polop
All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 2: Close Combat / Hidden Power Fire
move 3: Thunder / Rock Slide
move 4: Aromatherapy / Hidden Power Fire
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Mild / Rash

Moves
========
Rock Slide, unlike Thunder, OHKOes Ho-Oh even if Stealth Rock isn't up, but it do anything notable outside of that.

Reactions: Muk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)