His Thundering Wrath! (An Ubers RMT- 1504 and rising currently)

How would you rate this team?

• Total voters

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Edit- haha was going through some old posts and found this. Wow I was so bad at that time lol

'Sup Smogon. Haxiom here. Welcome to my second RMT and first Ubers RMT. I began playing the Ubers metagame a short while ago and have been attracted to the diversity of the tier. It's been great fun making this team, and it has proven to be one of my most successful of all my teams. It was also really the first time I tried to ladder more seriously and it's going well. On a side note there is a creepy lack of Ubers RMTs so that kind of made me interested in making one. Anyway, without further ado,

His Thundering Wrath!

upload_2014-4-3_13-8-45.png
(271)

It all started with Electriceus. It stemmed from me looking at my previous team and thinking to myself, "Wow. Electriceus would annihilate me." So, based on that, I set out to make a team using CM Electriceus, who is an often overlooked threat. He would need some support though, of course.

The immediate need at hand was a defogger. Without the ability to run support Arceus formes, I looked to other defoggers in the tier. I chose Giratina-O because it not only defogged, but put offensive pressure on the opponent, and checked Mega Blaziken and Extreme Killer to a certain extent.

I now looked to other threats who could really do some damage to this team. Kyogre and Xerneas stood out. Specially defensive Kyogre answered both decently I guess. Not a perfect answer to either, but with Electriceus, ScarfOgre could be dealt with, and Xerneas could be covered by additional support later on.

I added physically defensive Yveltal next. He is an outstanding answer to Ekiller, as well as a check to both Mewtwos. I threw on an Assault Vest, which seems weird. It will be explained more later on.

I added Mega Scizor next. In theory, he could possibly run defog support. However, he is used more as a secondary check to Xerneas, and uses Superpower over Defog to hit Kanga and Extreme Killer harder.

The lack of SR was kind of concerning, as was a weakness to Zekrom. Groudon was my answer to that, solving both problems. Landorus-T would also have worked, but Groudon was selected for a reason I can't remember unfortunately.

(pretend it's electricity)

Arceus-Electric @ Zap Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Arceus-Electric is the setup sweeper on this team. Counters for him are not extremely abundant, as he is relatively uncommon and many teams do not think to prepare for it specifically. Ideally, he comes in on something he forces out (such as ScarfOgre locked on Thunder aimed at my own Kyogre), pick up a Calm Mind boost, and proceeds to severely damage or sweep the team. He is mainly used late game, when counters, if any, are weakened to a point where I can finish them off with relative ease. However, Arceus-Electric does struggle finding opportunities to switch in, so it is often after a kill. Electric might be a great offensive type, but it has very few resists.

The moveset is simple. Calm Mind is the obvious setup move, and Judgment and Ice Beam serve as sort of a pseudo-BoltBeam. Judgment is used over Thunderbolt, because I personally feel that 10 more base power is worth a 10% chance of paralysis. Recover is used when necessary, to increase Electriceus's longevity, but it is rarely used since the main purpose of Electriceus on this team is to clean up late game, not to be a bulky presence on the field, like how support Arceus are played. The EVs are straightfoward- max power and max speed. Not much to say about that. About the IVs: 0 Attack helps against players who want to win by sheer luck and no talent from dealing as much as normally would be dealt by Foul Play, as while swagplay is a luck-based strategy, it sadly exists more than it should.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SDef / 248 Def
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Will-O-Wisp

Giratina-O is used to combat the immediate need of a Defogger. It's almost mandatory on any given team. I do have a Mega Scizor, but I decided to put defog on Giratina-O. Giratina-O checks Extreme Killer Arceus decently, being immune to both Extreme Speed and Earthquake, as well as tank the Shadow Claw and cripple with a burn. Additionally, it can take anything Mega Blaziken throws at it, though the rare Brave Bird hurts a bit. The main issue with Giratina-O is that it suffers from residual damage and is easily beaten down, as it lacks reliable recovery and cannot hold an item.

The moveset is an offensive defog set. WoW is mandatory in my opinion, as the ability to cripple physical attackers is too good to pass up. Shadow Sneak allows Giratina-O to revenge kill on occasion, and although not as spammable with the advent of the fairy type, Dragon Tail can be used to phaze out an opponent. 248 Def always survives Max+ LO Shadow Claw from Arceus, though it may be more logical to use 144 Def to survive Jolly LO Ekiller's Shadow Claw. Let me know what is preferable.

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Specially defensive Kyogre is pretty uncommon in the current ubers metagame (I think). Often overshadowed by its scarf and even specs variants, it seldom sees playing. However, that does not mean that it is not good. With incredible 90 / 140 special defenses, he can tank a lot of special hits (even a +2 Xerneas Thunder). Another thing he is able to do is surprise many Darkrai by switching into Dark Void and either hitting hard with scald or phazing out their boost. This is mostly reliable, but it does get frustrating to pull a rest on a key play. Kyogre also can take most anything ScarfOgre throws at it and whittle it down over time, fishing for burns with Scald. Specially defensive Kyogre is also very good at absorbing status, which is particularly useful in a metagame that is dominated by status.

The set is fairly standard. Scald burns are very useful for both residual damage and hindering physical attackers. Roar phazes out sweepers, Geomancy Xerneas specifically, as Kyogre takes anything and phazes it out, thus rendering it more or less useless for the remainder of the match. The EVs focus on special bulk (as if one would invest otherwise for a specially defensive Kyogre). 248 HP gives a better entry hazard number, although I'm not sure if that is necessary, and 8 defense points add a barely noticeable boost in physical bulk, though I'm debating whether special attack is better. The lack of attack IVs is once again for swagplay.

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play

Assault Vest Yveltal? It seems kind of limited at first, losing the speed and momentum of Scarf Yveltal, the power of LO Yveltal, and the support and recovery in toxic and roost of even physically defensive Yveltal. Well, I can't say I'm completely all for AV Yveltal either, but it serves its purpose. He functions pretty much to check specific threats. He can kind of switch in to Mewtwo, regardless form (although Low Kick still really hurts unfortunately). I also play him like the physically defensive variant, in the sense that he is used as a first line of defense to beat Ekiller. Additionally, he is not completely stripped of recovery, as Oblivion Wing, while overrated in my opinion, provides valuable 75% recovery to kind of make the lack of recovery otherwise a little bit more manageable.

The moveset. Dark Pulse is the most powerful move, as even uninvested, Dark Aura Dark Pulse hits hard. Sucker Punch beats MM2Y most importantly, but also can finish of weakened opponents. Foul Play is for Extreme Killer, as with SR up, it can usually grab the KO on a +2 Arceus. Oblivion Wing has the nice pseudo-recovery that was previously mentioned. The EVs are more or less like a physically defensive Yveltal, the 248 HP being particularly important for Yveltal who is weak to rocks, allowing for one extra switch in. Relaxed nature might seem weird, but I really didn't want to sacrifice power or bulk, so speed was what remained.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Superpower
- U-turn

Why Scizor, right? He seems completely redundant, and he is. Defogger? Giratina-O. Arceus check? Giratina-O and Yveltal. Xerneas check? Kyogre. His main purpose is to provide backup, in essence. To provide a secondary check. For example, say I lose Giratina-O, and rocks are up. Yveltal has switched in once before, and now fails to counter Arceus. Scizor is for that. Now that might be a bit exaggerated, but it has happened. Exactly like that. In addition, Scizor can beat Mega Kangaskhan.

Okay, wow. That sounded stupid.

The moveset is a bulky attacker, since further defog support is unneccesary. Bullet Punch is pretty obvious, as it is pretty much Scizor's signature. Roost allows him to stay alive longer to remain a check, while Superpower hits Arceus and Kanga hard. U-turn keeps momentum, especially helpful for dealing with Scarf Xerneas, as it probably won't stay in if it is locked on Moonblast. The EVs: are invested into attack and HP, with a bit of leftovers in special defense. 248 HP keeps a good entry hazard number. Light Metal is used over Technician, since Technician is picked up in evolution, and Light Metal could potentially allow Scizor to take less damage from Low Kick or Grass Knot on the switch.

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk/ 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Groudon is the Stealth Rock setter of this team. In my opinion, SR is the one entry hazard that is more or less mandatory on a team. While teams have the ability to succeed, the passive damage from SR is amazing, especially with threats like Yveltal and Ho-Oh in Ubers. In addition, Groudon provides a check to ScarfRom, tanking hits with great physical bulk, putting a dead stop to electric attacks, and hitting back really hard with Earthquake. Here are some calculations to show Groudon's physical bulk.

252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 124-147 (30.6 - 36.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 136-162 (33.6 - 40%) -- 30.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 183-216 (45.2 - 53.4%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 184-217 (45.5 - 53.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now, the set. Earthquake and Stone Edge give EdgeQuake coverage, while Toxic helps break down walls (like Lugia). Stealth Rock should be pretty obvious. The EVs are fully invested in physical bulk, while leftovers give it a bit of recovery, something that Groudon lacks normally.

As soon as I write the analysis, Landorus-T replaces Groudon here since it does pretty much everything it does plus check Ho-Oh.

I'd include a full threat list here. It's not ready yet though. One thing i'd really like to point out though is status. A major threat to this team is not a pokemon. It's status. The lack of a cleric is disturbing in such a status-driven metagame. I'd love to have one though, since many members of this team are crippled by burns.

Arceus-Electric @ Zap Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SDef / 248 Def
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Will-O-Wisp

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Superpower
- U-turn

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk/ 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-104541016
Ferrothorn and Kyogre gave me some trouble. Took a really long time to wear them down.

EDIT: Where's the Ubers threat list? Can't find it :(

Thanks for reading my RMT. Post suggestions in the comments. Feel free to be critical. Also, justify your poll choice above if possible.

Attachments

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Minority Suspect,

Thanks for the rate. I've always been a bit peculiar about the AV Yveltal, since you are absolutely right. I guess what the AV Yveltal really does is take MM2Y's attacks better (mainly on the switch), but I'm now seeing that Gira-O checks Mewtwo formes alright, despite being 2HKO'd by Ice beam. Not sure if a more solid check is needed though for that. I will definitely consider defensive, as the AV was really me experimenting with some sets since I didn't want MM2Y with Ice Beam (which is fairly common) to really cause this team trouble. I guess Giratina-O+Scizor+Groudon will check Ekiller sufficiently, though I don't really know since the last two are kind of iffy checks and Giratina is by no means a hard counter of any sort, especially since WoW misses way too much.

With most pokes, I generally look to have at least two decent checks (sometimes I can get away with one very solid, specific check but that is generally less effective). However, I see where you are coming from with the Xerneas check. Would it make more sense to invest more in SDef (20 Attack to always 2HKO 4/0 Xerneas and the rest in SDef)? Then Scizor has the ability to always take Xerneas's hits better and 2HKO it before it is 2HKO'd given a free switch (like a revenge or something). Going on a tangent, I saw a Scizor with Counter once. Is that viable? It hits Ekiller harder I guess. Also, how necessary is a Pursuit trapper for this team (I feel like most pokemon here can beat Gengar 1v1).

I'm looking to get some better replays since those were just one's I was kind of like... "Hey, I keep forgetting to save replays." If/when a better replay is found, should I replace the replays since they don't really show the team too well?

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Counter scizor is viable, my friend created it :3
In all honesty your scizor spread is perfectly fine for the purpose to which you intend it.
Running lum berry>leftovers on groudon could help.. your team is offensive enough that it won't truly miss the recovery, since it only comes out a couple of times usually per game. The yveltal set is strange.. I see you're mainly using it to deal with mewtwo. Maybe if you change kyogre from the defensive variant to the scarfer would help this a lot, although not providing a direct switch-in. Then, given this it's probably best to change yveltal to a fairy to help handle zekrom, fairy/ground is a great teambuilding combination this generation both offensively and defensively.
Your main choices are really xerneas/fairyceus (but you already have an eleceus)/klefki.
Klefki probably overlaps with checking xerneas a bit too much, whilst you carry defog so spike stacking is not so suited to this team. Still, priority toxic as well as maybe dual screens and play rough is helpful for breaking down certain threats.
Xerneas also offers the ability to status things, but offers aromatherapy too. I'd probably go with a set something like moonblast/aromatherapy/toxic/rock slide. It's difficult carrying scizor and not carrying rock/waterceus because it, and groudon only exascerbates it. So that's why rock slide is probably a nice filler move on xerneas, working as a lure, whilst I''d change groudon to landorus-T with the same moves as earlier. Lum Berry could help with the burns, meanwhilst it helps handling mega-blaziken and zekrom, as well as ho-oh.

Summary:
Groudon --> Lando-T
SDef Kyogre--> Scarf
Ygod --> Xerneas with aroma/mblast/rock slide/toxic. Probably SDefensive I'd go with

Decent enough team tho, we've seen many worse RMTs in here.

haxiom

God's not dead.
Piexplode, I like those suggestions. I generally tend to think defensively for whatever reason, and have trouble of thinking of offensive checks rather than defensive counters. Yveltal-->Xerneas is good; would sleep talk be viable since without it and assuming I change Kyogre, I pretty much end up foddering off something to sleep?
Landorus-T is better than Groudon. I have no idea why I chose Groudon over it, maybe to take away Kyogre's momentum as a last resort.

My main concern with these changes is that I end up too reliant on Scizor to check Xerneas. HP Fire variants pretty much 6-0 me. Also, ScarfOgre becomes a much more potent threat since I had been using Kyogre+Electriceus to check it.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Valid points. Don't forget you have also got shadow sneak on gira-O to help with xern if HP Fire nails you. You don't need sleep talk on xern since you're better off letting something else absorb the sleep and healing it off later, otherwise you're very pressed for moveslots. With the scarfogre problem I see 2 ways around it. One way is to have CM Waterceus + scarfogre, but I think a more interesting option is CM Ogre and Ekiller. The priority of ekiller helps in checking Mewtwo Y and Xerneas, whilst you could run a specially defensive CM Ogre (somethinglike resttalk/scald/CM) to still handle various threats, or alternatively run some variant of restkia (I reckon a rest + 3 attacks could work for your team, so like rest+rend/surf or pump/fire blast or thunder) max speed and satk should do the job for you I reckon.. ofc trying not to change the team too much but I think that makes certain threats a lot more manageable again.

haxiom

God's not dead.
Piexplode, I like those suggestions. I did make the team around Electiceus, so keep that in mind (I don't want to lose it unless it's absolutely necessary).

I do have a better replay now.

EDIT: To the mods, should I abstain from voting on my own poll? I know its sketchy... it's just tempting I guess.

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
Hi! You're right, Minority Suspect. I probably would have lost if he rested. I am very close to changing to a purely physically defensive set here now.

Too lazy to write up Landorus-T right now, but he will be implemented soon.

I'm not sure what to think of the poll results at this team.

haxiom

God's not dead.
Hey guys, I'm bumping this.

Just some things to think about when rating- I'm looking at it again and Kyogre is not adequately dealt with by Electriceus and SDef Kyogre. As seen in the replay, Ferrothorn is very annoying as this team lacks a fire attack completely. One thing that looks good for that is Palkia with Fire Blast; I'm not sure how to fit that in to this team though.

EDIT: Plus I'm Yveltal weak.

EDIT: And, I'd really like to find the Ubers threat list as soon as possible to write that up.

EDIT: K guys, this thread is dead, and i'm gonna let it die, so don't post.

Last edited:
If you are trying to seriously ladder in ubers, and don't go 30-0 to start off, you are obviously doing something wrong.

If you are trying to seriously ladder in ubers, and don't go 30-0 to start off, you are obviously doing something wrong.
People like Sweep, Henri, Fireburn, etc. for the majority of the time fail to go 30-0 because of the nature of the upper ladder (I know this as I am a stalker lol and have been near the top of the ladder on a few occasions). While I acknowledge that you have a substantially larger amount of experience than I, suggestions like the one you've made simply aren't conducive to helping in any way, shape or form. More importantly, what you've said is not only detrimental to this team's improvement, but is simply incorrect. Also, this is an RMT. He wants your help in order to improve the team, as it is not yet optimized and therefore struggles with attaining such a record.

Ironically enough, I have nothing to contribute outside of going SDef RestTalk Xern > Yveltal, but I think that's already been said :(
Good luck!

haxiom

God's not dead.
Moonbase, I see what you are saying. Honestly, GRB1, he's not necessarily wrong (at least early ladder, upper ladder as you said is much more difficult). However, I was using an alt so I started at the bottom. That's not to be said that there aren't good players in the 1500s.

Thanks for the suggestion GRB1. Sdef Xern is a better fit, just not editting the RMT because the threads dying and I'm lazy. I posted this separately because I just didn't want to make a fourth edit to the last post.

Moonbase, I see what you are saying. Honestly, GRB1, he's not necessarily wrong (at least early ladder, upper ladder as you said is much more difficult). However, I was using an alt so I started at the bottom. That's not to be said that there aren't good players in the 1500s.

Thanks for the suggestion GRB1. Sdef Xern is a better fit, just not editting the RMT because the threads dying and I'm lazy. I posted this separately because I just didn't want to make a fourth edit to the last post.
Lol The thing is that a whole shit ton of players lower ladder like 1000-1650 can be easily beat if you have a well built team, I, as sucky as an ubers player that I am, went 32-0 just by using a brainless HO team, that pretty much anyone with any talent in teambuilding can make. I admit that probably all of the players that GRB1 named are most likely better than me. (I am really an OU player) Considering how sucky the I era ladder is, what I would consider upper ladder is around top 30, some of which players are probably more worse than I am. I just wanted to make a point that ladder record means almost nothing on this ladder, you would have to do something truly impressive, like how HYW/Henri went 150-10 on the BW2 übers ladder. Something like that is impressive, but all your record tells some of the people on here is that there are some lower ladder players that can beat this team, which is not something you would want to share with people.

In terms if useful RMT info, Watch Out for lustkia with toxic, it literally threatens your whole team. And don't use light metal on Scizor lol.

haxiom

God's not dead.
OK moonbase, I'm sensing that what you want me to do is change the title, so I did.

Anyways, lustkia is a threat, a significant one too. I don't see a reason not to use light metal- it's insanely hard to bluff choice since you lose such significant power without the band, and I'm evolving right away (unless I forget- which I've done before and it sucked). That might be what you're getting at, but really it doesn't matter as I mentioned in the RMT. Light Metal is a mostly irrelevant ability, but basically I'm saying there's more merit to it than Technician as weird as that sounds, since Mega Scizor gets it anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)