OU Check and Counter List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Haunter and Subject 18

Welcome to the OU Check and Counter List Project. This is a list of all the popular threats in OU as they are today and will one day consist of a few checks and counters to them. To be quite honest all I really play well is OU and so I was inspired to make this list to help myself and everyone else have a quick reference while team building or battling. This list will focus only on XY OU as it is the biggest OU tier being played. Each person wishing to reserve Pokemon are allowed only three at one time and can be reserved from any of the categories. In an effort to make things go by fairly quickly you will have one week from the time you sign up for a certain poke to come up with its checks/counter/teammates and post it here. Here is the format that we will be using:

Talonflame

Checks:

• Landorus-T – Intimidate, Bulk, Stone Edge Availability

• Thundurus-I – Revenge Kills, Taunts, Thunder Waves, Thunderbolt Availability

• Quagsire – Takes minimal damage from Bug coverage, resists Fire STAB and Steel coverage, Haze, Unaware, Scald Availability

Counters:

• Heatran – Immune to Fire STAB, resists Steel and Bug coverage, resists Flying STAB, Stone Edge Availability

• Rotom-Wash – Resists both STABs, takes minimal damage from Bug coverage, Hydro Pump Availability

• Rhyperior – Resists both STABs, take minimal damage from Bug and Steel Coverage, Stone Edge Availability

Teammates / Play Style:

• Mega Pinsir – “Bird Spam” partner, beats Rotom-Wash and Heatran

• Staraptor – “Bird Spam 2.0” partner, beats Rotom-Wash and Heatran as well

• Mega Manectric – Volt Turn partner, eliminates Rotom-Wash, beats Landorus-T and Thundurus-I

Short, sweet, and to the point. Note that you do not need to list everything that counters or checks something. Do not write paragraphs unless abolutely necessary and all responses are subject to being denied at any point. Denial will either mean you just choose another Pokemon or you go back and fix the one you have not done so hot on.

Threat Lists:

Aegislash COMPLETED by Ajwf

Alakazam UNRESERVED

Alakazam-Mega UNRESERVED

Azumarill COMPLETED by Gary2346

Bisharp COMPLETED by Nog

Breloom COMPLETED by Nog

Celebi UNRESERVED

Charizard-Mega X COMPLETED by X5Dragon

Charizard-Mega Y COMPLETED by scorpdestroyer

Clefable UNRESERVED

Cloyster COMPLETED by X5Dragon

Conkeldurr COMPLETED by rachet67

Deoxys-Speed UNRESERVED

Dragonite COMPLETED by X5Dragon

Dugtrio UNRESERVED

Espeon UNRESERVED

Excadrill COMPLETED by rachet67

Galvantula UNRESERVED

Garchomp COMPLETED by TaBuu

Garchomp-Mega RESERVED by Nog

Gengar COMPLETED by X5Dragon

Gliscor UNRESERVED

Goodra UNRESERVED

Greninja COMPLETED by Molk

Gyarados COMPLETED by rachet67

Gyarados-Mega COMPLETED by TFL

Heatran UNRESERVED

Infernape UNRESERVED

Jirachi UNRESERVED

Keldeo COMPLETED by Nog

Kyurem-Black COMPLETED by Molk

Landorus COMPLETED by Halcyon.

Landorus-Therian UNRESERVED

Latias COMPLETED by TaBuu

Latios COMPLETED by X5Dragon

Lucario UNRESERVED

Mamoswine RESERVED by Nog

Manaphy COMPLETED by rachet67

Mawile-Mega COMPLETED by tnt

Pinsir-Mega COMPLETED by Kushalos

Rotom-Wash UNRESERVED

Salamence UNRESERVED

Scizor RESERVED by Darkerones

Scizor-Mega RESERVED by Valmanway

Scolipede UNRESERVED

Starmie COMPLETED by X5Dragon

Talonflame COMPLETED by Nog

Terrakion COMPLETED by TaBuu

Thundurus COMPLETED by Darkerones

Thundurus-Therian UNRESERVED

Togekiss UNRESERVED

Tornadus-Therian RESERVED by Nog

Tyranitar COMPLETED by TaBuu

Tyranitar-Mega UNRESERVED

Venusaur UNRESERVED

Venusaur-Mega UNRESERVED

Volcarona COMPLETED by Kushalos

Zapdos UNRESERVED

Aegislash UNRESERVED

Amoongus UNRESERVED

Blissey UNRESERVED

Breloom UNRESERVED

Celebi UNRESERVED

Chansey COMPLETED by rachet67

Charizard-Mega X UNRESERVED

Chesnaught UNRESERVED

Clefable UNRESERVED

Deoxys-Defense UNRESERVED

Donphan UNRESERVED

Excadrill UNRESERVED

Ferrothorn UNRESERVED

Forretress UNRESERVED

Gliscor RESERVED by Valmanway

Goodra UNRESERVED

Gyarados RESERVED by rachet67

Heatran UNRESERVED

Hippowdon UNRESERVED

Jirachi UNRESERVED

Landorus-Therian UNRESERVED

Latias UNRESERVED

Mandibuzz RESERVED by rachet67

Quagsire COMPLETED by rachet67

Rotom-Wash COMPLETED by scorpdestroyer

Sableye UNRESERVED

Scizor-Mega COMPLETED by Darkerones

Skarmory RESERVED by rachet67

Slowbro UNRESERVED

Starmie UNRESERVED

Sylveon UNRESERVED

Tentacruel UNRESERVED

Togekiss UNRESERVED

Trevenant UNRESERVED

Tyranitar UNRESERVED

Venusaur-Mega COMPLETED by TFL

Zapdos UNRESERVED

Amoongus UNRESERVED

Blissey UNRESERVED

Celebi UNRESERVED

Chansey UNRESERVED

Clefable UNRESERVED

Deoxys-Defense UNRESERVED

Deoxys-Speed UNRESERVED

Dugtrio UNRESERVED

Espeon UNRESERVED

Ferrothorn UNRESERVED

Gothitelle UNRESERVED

Greninja UNRESERVED

Jirachi UNRESERVED

Latias UNRESERVED

Rotom-Wash UNRESERVED

Scolipede UNRESERVED

Skarmory UNRESERVED

Smeargle UNRESERVED

Sylveon UNRESERVED

Thundurus UNRESERVED

Togekiss UNRESERVED

Blastoise-Mega UNRESERVED

Aerodactyl-Mega UNRESERVED

Ampharos-Mega UNRESERVED

Heracross-Mega UNRESERVED

Houndoom-Mega UNRESERVED

Gardevoir-Mega UNRESERVED

Aggron-Mega UNRESERVED

Medicham-Mega UNRESERVED

Manectric-Mega UNRESERVED

Banette-Mega UNRESERVED

Absol-Mega UNRESERVED

Abomasnow-Mega UNRESERVED

Some of the Pokemon are listed more than once and that is because of the set difference. For example checks and counters that work on a support Thundurus may not be the same on an all out attacker. Adjust your checks/counters accordingly and make sure to state what category you are reserving a certain Pokemon from. Make a new post for every completed analysis and double post for a new reservation. An example would look like this:

Reserving Mega Pinsir from Offense and Smeargle from Support.

If you feel I have misplaced a Pokemon or excluded one that is worthy let me know here.

To make sure everyone is on the same page here are some definitions (credit to NixHex and Woodchuck)

To be considered a counter, a Pokemon must be able to switch into any of the opponent's moves under normal battle conditions*, including taking damage from Stealth Rock, and reliably KO the opponent before the counter is KOed itself.

To be considered a check, a Pokemon must be able to switch into at least one but not all of the opponent's moves under normal battle conditions, including taking damage from Stealth Rock, and reliably KO the opponent before the check is KOed itself.

Good luck to everyone testing the waters and I hope the see many people try their hand at doing things like this.

Artwork by Leer

PS: If you would like to reserve a couple Pokemon but cannot post in victory road go ahead and PM so I can given you some options.

Last edited:
Reserving Dragonite, Latios and CharX if I may. Also concerning Talonflame he must be one of the harder mons to write a list about, since even though Heatran and Rotom-W take minimal damage from most of his sets even at +2, with Natural Gift and SR one boost and both of these means are gone and has a +2 atk stat left to sweep or wreck havoc. I dunno, does a significantly lesser used set (but legitimate never the less) effect their status as counters? Or should we use a soft check and hard check tiering as I did see these terms being used before.

Edit: Very minor nitpick, can you bold the headlines (for example, Counter, Check, etc.) and stuff like that, it makes this easier to read thanks.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
• Heatran – Immune to Fire STAB, resists Steel and Bug coverage, resists Flying STAB
Might do good to mention Availability of Ancient Power, unless you want to get shat on by the Taunt-BU set.

Reserving Dragonite, Latios and CharX if I may. Also concerning Talonflame he must be one of the harder mons to write a list about, since even though Heatran and Rotom-W take minimal damage from most of his sets even at +2, with Natural Gift and SR one boost and both of these means are gone and has a +2 atk stat left to sweep or wreck havoc. I dunno, does a significantly lesser used set (but legitimate never the less) effect their status as counters? Or should we use a soft check and hard check tiering as I did see these terms being used before.

Edit: Very minor nitpick, can you bold the headlines (for example, Counter, Check, etc.) and stuff like that, it makes this easier to read thanks.
Adding soft checks and hard checks is a fantastic idea seeing as of course they can run multiple sets. I will also bold the checks, counters, and teammate headlines. Thanks for the suggestions.
Might do good to mention Availability of Ancient Power, unless you want to get shat on by the Taunt-BU set.
Ancient Power would do more unless Talonflame has gotten multiple boosts because a lot of BU Talonflames are near max SDef, but yes I will edit in the moves that hit the hardest on all the checks and counters.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
After a bulk up or two Stone Edge does way less of an unboosted UnSTAB'd attack. After a single bulk up it has the same damage output as Ancient Power. Not to mention the miss chance. Ancient power is a reliable 2hko in all circumstances.

Couple updates:

1. When all of the Pokemon are done I will put them all in a neat list and post them as an article or another thread.

2. Headlines have been bolded, strongest available move has been added, and the number of Pokemon you can reserve has been changed from two to three.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Quagsire – Takes minimal damage from Flying STAB
"Minimal" probably isn't the best word...

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 187-222 (47.4 - 56.3%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

"Minimal" probably isn't the best word...

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 187-222 (47.4 - 56.3%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Ah yes, that was from earlier before I had calced. Thought I changed it already, nice catch.

Keldeo

Checks
:

· Thundurus (soft)- Revenge kills, Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt Availability, Careful of Icy Wind
· Azumarill (hard)- Resists both STABs, Takes minimal damage from Electric Coverage, Play Rough Availability, Careful of Scald
· Latios / Latias (hard)- Resists both STABs, Reliable recovery, Psyshock Availability, Careful of Icy Wind
· Talonflame (soft) - Resists Fighting STAB, Revenge kills, Careful of Water STAB

Counters:

· Mega Venusaur - Resists both STABs, Tanks Flying coverage, Reliable recovery, Leech Seed, Giga Drain Availability
· Jellicent - Immune to both STABs, Takes minimal damage from Ghost coverage, Reliable recovery, Giga Drain Availability
· Slowking - Resists Fighting and Water STAB, takes minimal damage from Ghost coverage, Reliable recovery, Psyshock Availability

Teammates / Playstyle:

· Keldeo is best played on Balanced and Hyper Offensive teams
· Tyranitar - Immune to Psychic, Resists Flying, Sandstorm limits Mega Venusaurs recovery, Traps Latias and Jellicent, Takes minimal damage from special based Electric and Grass moves
· Aegislash - Resists Psychic, Flying, and Grass, Traps Jellicent and Latias, Tanks Thundurus

PS: X5Dragon, this is probably the easiest and most efficient way to incorporate your suggestion without messing with too much. Let me know what you think and if you have other suggestions.

Last edited:
First Draft! Thanks Nog, that implementation looks the best without inflating stuff. I wonder if we can add a revenge killer category separate from Checks.

Mega Charizard-X:

Checks:

Heatran (soft) - Resists Dragon moves and is immune to Fire, Ground and Rock moves available.
Azumarill (hard) - Resists Fire and is immune to Dragon. Has Water and Fairy stabs to fight back pre and post MEVO typings.
Quagsire (hard) - Unaware, can status and threaten with Ground STAB. Resists Fire STAB, takes minimal damage from Ground coverage. Must be wary of Adamant Outrage.
Landorus-T (soft) - Has Intimidate, Stone Edge Availability
Mandibuzz (hard) - Can threaten set up sets with Foul Play, great bulk, reliable recovery.
Garchomp (soft) - Can revenge kill bulky versions, scarf sets can revenge kill after 1 DD, resists Fire, Outrage availability.
Latios (soft) - Can revenge kill bulky versions, scarf sets can revenge kill after 1 DD, resists Fire, immune to Ground moves, Draco Meteor availability.

Counters:

:/ (Needs to be revenge killed/prankster paralyzed when checks are dead)

Teammates/Playstyle:

Mega Charizard-X is played in offensive and balanced teams where defog and other kinds of support can be provided (Wish, Heal Bell) and offensive pressure to weaken or eliminate his checks and revenge killers.

Latios- Immune to Ground, resists Fire, can provide defog support and has Draco Meteor to threaten other Dragons as well as a wide movepool to threaten physical walls.

Clefable - Immune to Dragon, has great bulk, can pass Wish to Mega Charizard-X and Heal Bell support, can threaten many of his checks with Stall Killer set.

=============================

Dragonite:

Checks:

Heatran (soft) - Resists Dragon moves and is immune to Fire, Stone Edge Availability.
Landrous-T (soft) - Has Intimidate, Stone Edge Availability.
Quagsire (hard) - Unaware, can threaten with Toxic and Burn status. Must be wary of CB sets.
Azumarill (hard) - Immune to Dragon, Play Rough Availability, Revenge kills.
Clefable (hard) - Immune to Dragon, can increase it's defense and has reliable recovery in addition to Fairy STAB.
MScizor (soft) - Resists Dragon moves, has fantastic physical bulk, has recovery, revenge kills, must be wary of fire moves in general.
Ferrothorn (Soft) - Resists Dragon STAB, Takes minimal damage from Fire and Ground coverage, Phazing capabilities, can inflict status.

Counters:

Mega Aggron - Resists Dragon STAB, Takes minimal damage from Fire and Ground coverage, Phazing capabilities, can inflict status.

Teammates/Playstyle:

Offensive Dragonite can be used with great effect on offensive and balanced teams, where defog support ca be provided and fast special attackers can revenge kill and defeat his checks and counters.

Latios- Immune to Ground, resists Fire, can provide defog support and has Draco Meteor to threaten other Dragons as well as a wide movepool to threaten physical walls.

Greninja- Has fantastic speed and ability along with a great movepool, can threaten and lure all of Dragonite's checks and counters.

Latios:

Checks:

Heatran (soft): Resists both STABs, is slower so it can always set up SR after a defog, can inflict status, phazing capabilities, must be wary of lure EQ and SE coverage moves.
Azumarill (soft): Immune to Dragon STAB, tanks Psychic STAB and Ground coverage, Play Rough Availability, Careful of Thunderbolt
Bisharp (hard): Resist Dragon, immune to Psychic, can trap it with Pursuit. Must be aware of EQ/Hidden Power Fight, mispredictions.
Thundrus-I (soft): Can switch into Defog with Defiant, is faster and can threaten a OHKO with knock off. Must be aware of misprediction/scarf sets.
Ferrothorn (Soft): Resists both STABs, can inflict status, Leech Seed and Protect stall, outstanding bulk, must be wary of HP Fire.
MScizor (soft): Resists both its STABs can threaten with a variety of attacks or set up upon it, must be wary of HP Fire.

Counters:

Chansey: Takes minimal damage for his two STAB moves, can status it and wear it down, reliable recovery.
MTyranitar: Immune to Psychic, Tanks Dragon STAB, Can Pursuit trap, Crunch availability.
Aegislash: Resists both its STABs, substitute and Toxic on predicted switch or trap it, Shadow Ball Availability.

Teammates/Playstyle:

Latios is usually found on offensive teams looking to benefit from both a fast, hard hitting mixed attacker and a reliable user of Defog.

Bisharp- Can pursuit trap pokemon such as Aegislash and Chansey.

Quagsire- Can act as a counter measure to defiant users and handle the physical attackers mentioned in checks and counters.

Last edited:
First Draft! Thanks Nog, that implementation looks the best without inflating stuff. I wonder if we can add a revenge killer category separate from Checks.

Charizard-X:

Checks:

Heatran (soft) - Resists Dragon moves and is immune to Fire, Ground and Rock moves available.
Azumarill (hard) - Resists Fire and is immune to Dragon. Has Water and Fairy stabs to fight back pre and post MEVO typings.
Quagsire (soft) - Is unware of any set up attempts, can status and threaten with Ground STAB. Must be wary of Adamant Outrage.
Landorus-T (soft) - Has Intimidate, can threaten with Ground STAB, rock attack available.
Mandibuzz (hard) - Can threaten set up sets with Foul Play, can take hits when healthy.
Garchomp (soft) - Can revenge kill bulky versions, scarf sets can revenge kill after 1 DD, resists Fire.
Latios (soft) - Can revenge kill bulky versions, scarf sets can revenge kill after 1 DD, resists Fire, immune to Ground moves.

Counters:

:/ (Needs to be revenge killed/prankster paralyzed when checks are dead)

Teammates/Playstyle:

Defogger: Latios pairs with Charizard-X seeing how he has fantastic speed and can lure a lot of his checks.
Fairies: Can switch into his Dragon brethren, have generally excellent SpD and SpA.

Dragonite:

Checks:

Landrous-T (soft) - Has Intimidate, can threaten with Ground STAB, rock attack available.
Quagsire (hard) - Is unware of any set up attempts, can status and threaten with Ground STAB. Must be wary of CB sets.
Azumarill (hard) - Immune to Fairy. Has Fairy STAB to threaten back.
Clefable (soft) - Immune to Dragon, can increase it's defense and has reliable recovery in addition to Fairy STAB.
MScizor (soft) - Resists Dragon moves, has fantastic physical bulk, has recovery, must be wary of fire moves in general.
Ferrothorn (Soft) - Resists Dragon moves, can status it, must be wary of fire moves in general.

Counters:

Mega Aggron - Takes minimal damage for his STABs and coverage moves (+1 EQ is a 3HKO), has SE moves and status of his own.

Teammates/Playstyle:

Defogger/Rapid: Multiscale is one of Dragonite's primary selling points.
Fast Special Attackers: Can threaten his checks and counters, can heavily punish subsequent switch ins by the enemy.

Latios:

Checks:

Heatran (soft): Resists both STABs, is slower so it can always set up SR after a defog, can be statused and roared out. Must be wary of lure EQ and SE coverage moves.
Azumarill (soft): Can switch in with Dragon Immunity, and threaten with STAB.
Bisharp (hard): Resist Dragon, immune to Psychic, can trap it with Pursuit. Must be aware of EQ/Hidden Power Fight, mispredictions.
Thundrus-I (soft): Can switch into Defog with Defiant, is faster and can threaten a OHKO with knock off. Must be aware of misprediction/scarf sets.
Ferrothorn (Soft): Resists both STABs, can paralyze it and render it useless or wear it down. Must be wary of HP Fire.
MScizor (soft): Resists both its STABs can threaten with a variety of attacks or set up upon it, must be wary of HP Fire.

Counters:

Chansey: Takes minimal damage for his two STAB moves, can status it and wear it down.
MTyranitar: Is immune to Psychic and can tank Draco Meteors and threaten it back/trap it.
Aegislash: Resists both its STABs and can threaten with Ghost STAB, substitute on predicted switch or trap it.

Teammates/Playstyle:

Pursuit Trapper: Can safely remove it's checks and counters with it's own Pursuit teammates.
Physical Walls: Landrous-T for example can come in on many of it's checks and counters and can threaten to heavily damage them back.

Edit: Added Ferrothorn and MScizor into relevant categories.
Things that need to be added in Blue, Things that need to be deleted/changed in Red, Comments in Green

Mega Charizard-X:

Checks:

Quagsire (soft hard) - Is unaware of any set up attempts, Unaware, can status and threaten with Ground STAB. Must be wary of Adamant Outrage, One of the best checks to Char-X you can get, Resists Fire STAB, Takes minimal damage from Ground coverage
Landorus-T (soft) - Has Intimidate, can threaten with Ground STAB, rock attack available, Stone Edge Availability
Mandibuzz (hard) - Can threaten set up sets with Foul Play, can take hits when healthy Great bulk, Reliable recovery
Garchomp (soft) - Can revenge kill bulky versions, scarf sets can revenge kill after 1 DD, resists Fire, Outrage Availability
Latios (soft) - Can revenge kill bulky versions, scarf sets can revenge kill after 1 DD, resists Fire, immune to Ground moves, Draco Meteor Availability

Counters:

:/ (Needs to be revenge killed/prankster paralyzed when checks are dead) I’ll try and think of some ;~;

Teammates/Playstyle:

Defogger: Latios pairs with Charizard-X seeing how he has fantastic speed and can lure a lot of his checks.
Fairies: Can switch into his Dragon brethren, have generally excellent SpD and SpA.
Try and name a few Pokemon for team building aid and mention what team archetype this Pokemon is usually found on.

Dragonite:

Checks:

Heatran (soft) - Resists Dragon moves and is immune to Fire, Ground and Rock moves available, Stone Edge Availability
Landrous-T (soft) - Has Intimidate, can threaten with Ground STAB, rock attack available, Stone Edge Availability
Quagsire (hard) - Is unaware of any set up attempts, Unaware, can status and threaten with Ground STAB. Must be wary of CB sets.
Azumarill (hard) - Immune to Fairy Dragon, Has Fairy STAB to threaten back Play Rough Availability, Revenge kills
Clefable (soft) - Immune to Dragon, can increase its defense and has reliable recovery in addition to Fairy STAB.
Mega Scizor (soft) - Resists Dragon moves, has fantastic physical bulk, has recovery, must be wary of fire moves in general, Revenge kills
Ferrothorn (Soft) - Resists Dragon moves, can status it, must be wary of fire moves in general.

Counters:

Mega Aggron - Takes minimal damage for his STABs and coverage moves (+1 EQ is a 3HKO), has SE moves and status of his own. Resists Dragon STAB, Takes minimal damage from Fire and Ground coverage, Phazing capabilities, can inflict status

Teammates/Playstyle:

Defogger/Rapid: Multiscale is one of Dragonite's primary selling points.
Fast Special Attackers: Can threaten his checks and counters, can heavily punish subsequent switch ins by the enemy.
Try and name a few Pokemon for team building aid and mention what team archetype this Pokemon is usually found on.

Latios:

Checks:

Heatran (soft): Resists both STABs, is slower so it can always set up SR after a defog, can be statused inflict status and roared out, Phazing capabilities, Must be wary of lure EQ and SE coverage moves.
Azumarill (soft): Can switch in with Dragon Immunity Immune to Dragon STAB, and threaten with STAB, Tanks Psychic STAB and Ground coverage, Play Rough Availability, Careful of Thunderbolt
Ferrothorn (soft hard): Resists both STABs, can paralyze it and render it useless or wear it down inflict status, Leech Seed and Protect stall, Outstanding bulk, Must be wary of HP Fire.
Mega Scizor (soft): Resists both its STABs can threaten with a variety of attacks or set up upon it, can U-turn for momentum, must be wary of HP Fire.

Counters:

Chansey: Takes minimal damage for his two STAB moves, can status it and wear it down, Reliable recovery
Mega Tyranitar: Immune to Psychic, Tanks Dragon STAB, Can Pursuit trap, Crunch Availability Aegislash: Resists both its STABs, and can threaten with Ghost STAB, substitute and Toxic on predicted switch or trap it, Shadow Ball Availability

Teammates/Playstyle:

Pursuit Trapper: Can safely remove it's checks and counters with it's own Pursuit teammates.
Physical Walls: Landrous-T for example can come in on many of it's checks and counters and can threaten to heavily damage them back.

Edit these changes in and all three Pokémon will be done.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Pretty sure Clefable, especially Unaware physically defensive Clefable, is a hard check / outright counter to Dragonite, unless they're running stupid shit like Iron Tail / Head.

Pretty sure Clefable, especially Unaware physically defensive Clefable, is a hard check / outright counter to Dragonite, unless they're running stupid shit like Iron Tail / Head.
I agree that it is a hard check, but would need to calc to see if it outright counters good catch nonetheless.

Alright I think I finished mine, as for Talonflame there should be a mention of Nature Gift sets for both Rotom-W and Heatran.

The thing is Clefable has two usable abilities, Magic Guard and Unaware, while an offensive Dragonite will be either carrying a band or using DD for most of it's sets. Unaware Clefable will be taking min. 40% damage from EQ when banded, so that means if there is sufficient prior damage it may not be able to switch depending on circumstances. In any case it's a check.

Edit: While we are at it I think it's useful for readers to know what we mean by checks and counters in the OP, a simple description would be great.

Alright I think I finished mine, as for Talonflame there should be a mention of Nature Gift sets for both Rotom-W and Heatran.

The thing is Clefable has two usable abilities, Magic Guard and Unaware, while an offensive Dragonite will be either carrying a band or using DD for most of it's sets. Unaware Clefable will be taking min. 40% damage from EQ when banded, so that means if there is sufficient prior damage it may not be able to switch depending on circumstances. In any case it's a check.

Edit: While we are at it I think it's useful for readers to know what we mean by checks and counters in the OP, a simple description would be great.
The fact that Clefable has the opportunity to be either a check or a shaky counter means it's at least a hard check. So be sure to edit that in soon. After doing so you may reserve 3 more Pokemon. As for the definitions I will edit that into the OP soon.

Note : This is a pretty rough draft even in my eyes. Feel free to to critique!
Terrakion

Checks:

• Thundurus-I : Resists STAB Close Combat, Prankster Thunder Wave, Superpower/Focus Blast/Grass Knot availability
  • Breloom : Resists STAB Stone Edge, Spore, Mach Punch and Bullet Seed availability
  • Slowbro : Resists STAB Close Combat, Regenerator, avoids all forms of 2HKOs from Band variant, Scald/Psychic availability
Counters:
  • Aegislash : Resists both STABs, Bulk, Flash Cannon/Sacred Sword availability
  • Landorus-T : Intimidate, Bulk, Earthquake availability
  • Hippowdon : Tanks both STABs, access to Slack Off/Toxic/Whirlwind, Earthquake availability
Teammates / Play Style:
  • Greninja : Can defeat Aegislash, Landorus-T and Hippowdon
  • Lucario : Can clean up with Swords Dance, after Terrakion has softened checks such as Slowbro
  • Mamoswine : Can check Terrakion's checks and counters, access to Stealth Rock
  • Banded variant finds itself more suited to balanced teams while Stealth Rock, Life Orb Attacker and Set Up variants are more suited towards Hyper Offensive teams
-------------
Garchomp

Checks:

• Latios/Latias : Immune to Earthquake, Revenge Kills, Draco Meteor availability
  • Thundurus-I : Immune to Earthquake, Revenge Kills, Hidden Power Ice availability
  • Azumarill : Immune to Outrage, Play Rough availability
Counters:
  • Togekiss : Immune to Earthquake and Outrage, takes minimal damage from typical coverage moves (i.e Fire Blast), Moonblast availability
  • Quagsire : Bulk, Unaware to ignore any Swords Dance boosts, Scald has a burn chance, Ice Beam availability
  • Skarmory : Immune to Earthquake, Resists Outrage, Set Up Hazards
Teammates / Play Style:
  • Mega Mawile : ability to shut down many of Garchomp's checks and counters, resists Garchomp's weaknesses, can use them as set-up opportunities
  • Talonflame : appreciates Garchomp's wallbreaking potentials, can clean up late-game with Brave Bird
  • Kyurem-B : similar checks and counters, allows one to break down each others counters
  • Offensive teams appreciate Garchomp's ability to lay Stealth Rock and maintain an offensive presense at the same time

Last edited:
Note : This is a pretty rough draft even in my eyes. Feel free to to critique!
Terrakion

Checks:

• Thundurus-I : Resists STAB Close Combat, Prankster Thunder Wave, Superpower/Focus Blast/Grass Knot availability
  • Breloom : Resists STAB Stone Edge, Spore, Mach Punch and Bullet Seed availability
  • Slowbro : Resists STAB Close Combat, Regenerator, avoids all forms of 2HKOs from Band variant, Scald/Psychic availability
Counters:
  • Aegislash : Resists both STABs, Bulk, Flash Cannon/Sacred Sword availability
  • Landorus-T : Intimidate, Bulk, Earthquake availability
  • Hippowdon : Tanks both STABs, access to Slack Off/Toxic/Whirlwind, Earthquake availability
Teammates / Play Style:
  • Greninja : Can defeat Aegislash, Landorus-T and Hippowdon
  • Lucario : Can clean up with Swords Dance, after Terrakion has softened checks such as Slowbro
  • Mamoswine : Can check Terrakion's checks and counters, access to Stealth Rock
-------------
Garchomp

Checks:

• Latios/Latias : Immune to Earthquake, Revenge Kills, Draco Meteor availability
  • Thundurus-I : Immune to Earthquake, Revenge Kills, Hidden Power Ice availability
  • Azumarill : Immune to Outrage, Play Rough availability
Counters:
  • Togekiss : Immune to Earthquake and Outrage, takes minimal damage from typical coverage moves (i.e Fire Blast), Moonblast availability
  • Quagsire : Bulk, Unaware to ignore any Swords Dance boosts, Scald has a burn chance, Ice Beam availability
  • Skarmory : Immune to Earthquake, Resists Outrage, Set Up Hazards
Teammates / Play Style:
  • Mega Mawile : ability to shut down many of Garchomp's checks and counters, resists Garchomp's weaknesses, can use them as set-up opportunities
  • Talonflame : appreciates Garchomp's wallbreaking potentials, can clean up late-game with Brave Bird
  • Kyurem-B : similar checks and counters, allows one to break down each others counters
Make sure add the preferred play styles to both mons. Other than that beautiful job, you can now reserve 3 more if you so choose.

keke, then I'll steal Latias and Tyranitar. Expect to have them done by 4/10 (Thursday) or 4/11 (Friday)

Friendly reminder to Gary2346 and Trinitrotoluene that your deadlines are Saturday and this Sunday respectively. If by the end of your 1 week period your post isn't completed, you will be removed from that Pokemon and someone else may reserve it. Good luck to you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)