2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey phadunk nice assumptions asshole. Check last year's thread and see if I root for Barca. Check the year prior too. I post once or twice because idiots like you feel like you have something to prove (your football team loyalty in this case).

And no I don't watch La Liga. I watch Champions League and the occasional highlights when I get a chance from the epl,

Casual fans can be fans too. In case you forgot.

As a Chelsea fan, I don't know who I want to get in the semis. All teams pose a different threat and unique challenge.
The team we definitely should avoid is Atletico. They are the kind of team Chelsea struggle against. A lot of pressing and their physicality + dirty play.
Bayern, in my opinion, looked average against Arsenal and United but I don't think we could take them on 2 legs.
Real Madrid would also be very tough, especially over 2 legs.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
LOL at a chelsea fan complaining about dirty play

if you mean dirty play as cheating then

and if you mean fouls then nice terry and ivanovic biggest thugs in the epl

it will be fun to see chelsea playing shit football while mourinho cries, getting lucky then seeing their fans say "NOPE DESERVED GG". The joke of football is real

I am sure it's better in the Serie A.

And look, man, I was pointing out something that would not be good for us if we played them, not complaining or anything.

Last edited:

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
LOL at a chelsea fan complaining about dirty play

if you mean dirty play as cheating then

and if you mean fouls then nice terry and ivanovic biggest thugs in the epl

it will be fun to see chelsea playing shit football while mourinho cries, getting lucky then seeing their fans say "NOPE DESERVED GG". The joke of football is real

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
apparently man u fans were singing 'we hate scousers' to jamie carragher in the airport

they seem to forget their £300k a week 'star' is also a scouser...

HBK

Europa League Semi Finals:

Sevilla v Valencia: Don't watch La liga because I find it to be boring but Valencia fought really hard to come back from 3-0 on aggregate against Basle and if they play anything like that, they should go through to the final.

Benfica v Juventus: Juventus are the favorites to win this competition and for good reason.They've been the best team in Italy this season, and have the perfect blend of youth and experience. I expect them to win the whole thing.

Champions League Semi Finals:

Real Madrid vs Bayern Munchen: Real Madrid are third in La liga, behind Barcelona and Atletico Madrid and were fortunate to have not been knocked out by Dortmund in the previous round. Bayern Munich are in great form and I predict them to go through to the final. One thing's for sure, it'll be close.

Atletico De Madrid vs Chelsea: Just what I was hoping for. Atletico have been the best team in Spain this season but will be, in my opinion, easier opponents than PSG. Chelsea should be able to overcome them. And from what I hear, Courtois may not play against us.

Can't wait ! :)

Atletico De Madrid vs Chelsea: Just what I was hoping for. Atletico have been the best team in Spain this season but will be, in my opinion, easier opponents than PSG. Chelsea should be able to overcome them. And from what I hear, Courtois may not play against us

also don't let reyscarface see this

Malekith

Daddy.
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
Europa league:

Sevilla v Valencia: Sevilla is better than Valencia this year and more experienced in this competition so I think it will win. Anyways Valencia has a good chance of winning.

Benfica v Juventus: Juventus is gonna win Serie A and the final of Europa League is in its stadium so they have to reach the final! Anyways it'll be close too since Benfica is a good team and love this competition.

Champions league:

Real Madrid v Bayern Munich: I wish Real Madrid qualified. 3 german teams in a row is annoying since they are the worst teams for Real Madrid historically. I think we have a good shot, but Bayern Munich has the edge :[

Atletico Madrid v Chelsea: I want Chelsea to win since I'm a Mourinho fan but Atlético has the edge, they are better and the match in Spain should be enough to reach the final.

HBK

Assuming that Courtois and Costa don't play. Costa might be fit by then though.

I really would of prefered Real or Bayern.

anyways on to predictions:
Europa League:

Valencia vs Sevilla- Sevilla are better plain and simple and should have too much quality for them over the two legs.

Benfica vs Juventus- The final before the final! These two teams are CL teams but fucked up in the groups stages this season. I have no idea who will go through in this one. This tie will be won by the last kick of the ball, whether it be in the 180 minutes, 30 extra time minutes or on penalties.

Really looking forward to both of these ties.

Champions league:
Atletico vs Chelsea- Our attacking need space to play at their best. What Atletico does better than any other team left in the competition is to restrict space. The last time Simeone faced Mourinho he won in extra time. Real hit the post 3 times and courtois was unbelievable between the sticks. Don't think it will be like that match but this will be physical as it gets which will be fantastic. I really don't know which way this is going to go but I feel Atletico will get through.

Bayern vs Real Madrid- Bayern will dominate possession and RealM will look to counter attack. Real Madrid against the top 4 teams in the league are 5 played 3 losses 2 draw. Not convincing me that they have what it takes to win the title. Bayern will go through but it will be entertaining.

Last edited:

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Europa league:

Sevilla vs Valencia: Sevilla is better this year and they are on a streak as well so I think they'll take it. However, I think it will be very close, just like their head-to-head games this season have shown.

Benfica vs Juventus: Juventus is the better team on paper, but Benfica is a very dangerous team and for some reason I feel like they'll win.

Champions league:

Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich: The logic says Bayern will win, but I'd feel guilty if I didn't root for a Spanish team so I'm just going to say Real Madrid will win. Not really convinced though, and I hope Ancelotti starts working because he's failed at designing the strategy for pretty much every important match this season...

Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea: Atletico is the better team of the two and this is just their year, if they don't win the CL this season they never will. They match up well against Chelsea imo so if they get a good result at home they'll most likely advance.

At this point it's pretty hard to predict which teams will advance so I just picked the teams I'm rooting for lol.

I'd love to see a spanish final, that would be great :)

Bayern vs Real Madrid- Bayern will dominate possession and RealM will look to counter attack. Real Madrid against the top 4 teams in the league are 5 played 3 losses 2 draw. Not convincing me that they have what it takes to win the title. Bayern will go through but it will be entertaining.
If you're talking about La Liga top 4, that isn't exactly accurate. The actual stats are 6 played: 1 win, 2 draws, 3 losses. Still pretty bad, but it should be remembered that Real Madrid beat Atletico twice in Copa del Rey. So that would make it 3W-2D-3L.

I agree that Real Madrid has been underwhelming in most important games this season, but they didn't deserve to lose any of their 2 games against Barcelona. The fair result in both would have been a draw, tbh. They deserved to lose (and they lost 0-1) against Atletico on their first encounter in La Liga though.

Last edited:
as a chelsea fan, i'd rather actually have got bayern at semis instead of atletico. bayern, though still a great team, is nowhere as good as the team that won last year, bayern vs manchester pretty much showed it. chelsea could have beaten bayern with smart tactics (read: parking the bus), but not sure how it will fare against atletico

though i think bayern isn't as good as last year, i still think it will beat madrid easily. all they have to do is not lose in the bernabeu, then win it at the allianz

as a chelsea fan, i'd rather actually have got bayern at semis instead of atletico. bayern, though still a great team, is nowhere as good as the team that won last year, bayern vs manchester pretty much showed it. chelsea could have beaten bayern with smart tactics (read: parking the bus), but not sure how it will fare against atletico

though i think bayern isn't as good as last year, i still think it will beat madrid easily. all they have to do is not lose in the bernabeu, then win it at the allianz
How are bayern worst this season? Is it because they they only scored 4 past an average to poor united team? I don't know if it's me that thinks this but a lot of teams would struggle to break down the 8-1-1. Manchester United got the lead in both games but how long did they last. They have won the Bundesliga in record time, into the semifinal of their domestic cup and have controlled every game in the Cl to an unbelievably degree(against City they lost due to defensive mistakes from Dante and Boateng).

This game against Real should show how good they are. Real are going to play their way and that will allow Gotze, robben and ribery space to exploit.

HBK

Not to mention the fact that the entire Bayern team (manager included) were overconfident, casual and complacent due to Manchester United's stuttering form in the league and their own splendid league form. That is why he didn't even start with Mandzukic in the first leg and played Muller as a false 9. Guardiola was serious in the second leg but the players were still pretty casual (mostly because a 0-0 would take them through) until Evra scored that goal. It was like a wake up call. You won't see any of that against Real Madrid though, that's for sure.

Last edited:

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not to mention the fact that the entire Bayern team (manager included) were overconfident, casual and complacent due Manchester United's stuttering form in the league and their own splendid league form. That is why he didn't even start with Mandzukic in the first leg and played Muller as a false 9. Guardiola was serious in the second leg but the players were still pretty casual (mostly because a 0-0 would take them through) until Evra scored that goal. It was like a wake up call. You won't see any of thay against Real Madrid though, that's for sure.
This is very true. I was watching the game at Old Trafford and Guardiola's team selection was absolutely awful (Muller is not suited to that role at all and it showed). They have so much quality in their squad, I think if Guardiola puts his mind to it he can pick a squad which well beat more or less every team in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)