CAP 18 CAP 18 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINAL SUBMISSION

MAIN DESIGN

I could probs do more to it but don't have the time ahaha but i think it's a fair decent attempt :3
i suggest you look at this with your brightness all the way up aha

I can't remember where i got most of my inspiration from but i know it had something to do with that fish guy for Hellboy aha and just your typical drake, also something to do with a hot water system or something lol

some lore about this CAP is on the original submission on page 4 :) i suggest you check it out for the lore and to sus how far i've come aha

SUPPORTING MATERIAL
i guess my previous attempts were supporting material ahaha
If you want to see it with steam, click here

also a really, really shabby first attempt, click here

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback, guys! As per suggestions I'm working on changing the colour scheme. I'm currently thinking of giving an orange-blue mix a try. In the meantime, I made some quick supporting art for the heck of it:

I see my submission as a kind of counterpart to Lucario and Zoroark - a warrior-like anthro Pokemon with human mannerisms and a relatively good BST and movepool. Hence the bottom left drawing; I figure that if they did meet each other, they'd hit it off, compete, and talk a whole bunch of shit. The other drawings are pretty standard stuff: Flamethrower, Surf, and a random derpy thing I drew cause I had space and didn't know what to do with it.

I also have a couple of alternative poses, showing how his fins appear at different angles:

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp268/chomzloh/cappose2_zps01918dea.jpg
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp268/chomzloh/cappose1_zps2f28f5ad.jpg

I'll update with comments on the other submissions when I have time.

Last edited:
As I was contemplating tonight's dinner, i though to myself: you know what's liquid and as hot as fire? A McDonalds® Apple Pie!

Unfortunately it turns out that ® means i can't use it in a pokemon, so I made a hot bowl of nautilus noodles instead.

Any and all critique welcome! And big thanks to Mos-Quitoxe for all the help and encouragement!

Last edited:
Alright, a quick update to my nautilus-mon concept. I haven't made any changes to the design, but I did go back and tweak the art for it a bit, and I'm a little happier with how it looks this time:

I also sketched up some supporting art for the design:
Anatomy of a nautilus-mon
Using some moves
BFFs with Luke and Latias

Once again, all critiques are welcome!

E:VVV This is just a thought, and I don't know how it would end up looking in practice, but maybe instead of a round snail shell you could try using the long, pointy kind (think slowbro's tail). It seems like maybe it would give off less of a 'slow' vibe, and as a bonus you could light another candle from the end of it. Maybe even use one for every candle. Probably don't do it with that particular design, though. Snailserpent with a long, pointy shell coming out of its back would just look silly, IMO.

Last edited:
I'm at a total lost in redesigning Snailcandles to match CAP's corresponding stats. Being based on mollusks doesn't do her any favors. Mine just looks oh-so slow, compared to what most users are proposing to what seems to be a Speed stat ranging between the 90's to 100's. And so, I've been playing around my original design for the past few hours; adding limbs and such, but nothing just seems to work. Well, here's a quickie sketch that I've settled to for now. I guess this looks the most presentable amongst the atrocities I've made.

Snailserpentcandles is not doing it for me to be honest. Worse is, it's kinda looking like the Goomy evolution line. I think it's best to stop right here but I'm still interested of what the people would like to say of this. I may push on to this Snail+Candle concept, but the best course of action for now would be to totally scrap that and work on a fresh idea. Back to square one for me, I guess.

Last edited:

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
When are final submissions due? I'm going on a trip in a couple hours, so I probably won't be able to submit anything for the next couple of days. Hopefully I can finish it while I'm there.

Snailserpentcandles is not doing it for me to be honest. Worse is, it's kinda looking like the Goomy evolution line. I think it's best to stop right here but I'm still interested of what the people would like to say of this.
its a cool design but it makes me think of, if dragonite and sligoo had a child and it ears/ horns caught on fire. Maybe try to make it less cutesy since goomy line and dragonair line are the cutesy dragons that would probably define it more.

but with only two people liking my post my words probably don't have a lot of traction in reality.

Well, here's the design I wanted to post. Only a WIP currently. When thinking of a Fire/Water type, I immediately thought of something that could work at an offshore oil rig. So I generally took the oil idea and went with it. At first I started with an idea that looked like a mix between Hot Head from Skylanders and a random Megaman boss. Eventually, though, I got the idea to make a seal Pokemon.

Like I said, I wanted to go with an oil using Pokemon. Its torso is a big jerry can, while its head sports a big oil spout. Finally, it's tail is tipped with two gas nozzles. Originally they were gonna be hand-cannons attached to tails, except I wanted to make something that didn't look like Pyroak, so no arm cannons or hand guns. Finally, its arms and tail are covered in an oil pattern.

This design is currently a WIP, though. No colors yet, and it still needs polish. But I would like a little feedback on the design regardless. :)

When are final submissions due? I'm going on a trip in a couple hours, so I probably won't be able to submit anything for the next couple of days. Hopefully I can finish it while I'm there.
ATMK, you still have a lot of time left. They aren't closing till the second ability is announced, and they aren't even discussing that yet.

Behold!

Viscardioid
The Shattered Pokémon

I wanted to make something that stood out from all the red fish that I knew would end up being submitted (no offence to anyone with a red fish as their piece, most of said fish are very well drawn). As such, I took a different route to represent the typing: Blood. I feel as though blood represents the typing quite nicely, as it is mostly made of water while being hot and providing the 'fire of life' to most living things.

Now, before you cry foul, blood does in fact exist in the Pokémon games; Leech Life's Japanese name is Suck Blood. And blood does have its place in kids games occasionally. In fact, another Nintendo franchise aimed at children, Kirby, has shown blood before as part of the final boss battle against 0-2 in Kirby 64: the Crystal Shards.

As for Viscardioid's design itself, I was inspired to represent the dual nature of the typing by crossing the Comedy & Tragedy masks with the two halves of a stylized broken heart, as well as lots of creepiness to draw attention. The 'Despair' half uses the water type moves while the 'Sadistic Glee' half uses the fire type moves.

Yes, I know it's not the most well-drawn concept ever (I'm no Yilx, not even close), but the only good program I have for this sort of thing is Paint.NET, and I put a good two hours of work into this, so humor me a little.

PS: Mods, if the blood tear is considered to be 'obscene or offensive' just let me know and I'll change it to black.
Since I'm actually a far better writer than an artist, I figured I'd whip up a backstory as supporting material for my design (See Above). It should adequately explain why my design works with Analytic. I hope you all like it!

In ancient times, there was once a pristine mountain valley. Many Pokémon lived in this valley. Herds of Zebstrika grazed among the swaying grasses, flocks of Taillow soared on the calm winds, and playful Cherrim frolicked in the warm glow of the sun.

One species of Pokémon in the valley stood out from the others. They were beautiful, proud and strong, adored by the other Pokémon for their cheerful disposition and protective nature. Unnamed by man, they were known by the other Pokémon as the Pristine. All were happy and content with their lives.

However, after many centuries of peace, the Pristine realized they were not as happy as they could be. Some Pokémon, like the Victreebel and the Mankey, did not like the Pristine, and treated them poorly. They realized that they had the strength to rule over the other Pokémon, to keep them in line with their wishes. So, the group of Pristine issued a decree: Leave the valley, or serve us.

Of course, this did not go over very well with the others. Those that agreed to stay were filled with sadness. Previously, they had enjoyed the company of the Pristine because they were kind Pokémon. Now, they reluctantly continued their routine of hospitality, knowing that their knowledge of their true nature was completely misguided. Those who left were profusely angered, lacking the power to oppose the will of the Pristine, and forced to abandon their ancestral homeland.

This new state of existence continued in the valley for many years, until, that is, a greater power sensed the imbalance in the hearts of the Pokémon. This force had been asleep in a mountain cave at the valley's edge for as long as anyone could remember.

But now, Xerneas had been awoken.

By the light of the full moon, the great stag, awash in color, pranced into the valley. "Awaken, and hear, me, Pokémon of this land!" she proclaimed in their language.

Her booming voice rocked the Pristine and their servants from slumber. They gazed upon her form, awestruck. "The Pristine have upset the balance here, and for that, they will be punished."

"We are the rulers of this land!" a male one exclaimed, defiant. "You have no power here!" He followed up his statement with a devastating Hyper Beam, and the others followed. But Xerneas' Light Screen was stronger, and she escaped without a single scratch.

"No, you are the tyrants of this land," Xerneas stated plainly. "Did you ever even consider how your actions affected the other Pokémon? No, you did not. As consequence for this action, you will be transformed into that which you created: anger and sadness."

Just as her sentence ended, the moon began to glow with an eerie pink. Rays of light pierced the skies, and lanced each and every Pristine in the valley square in the chest with a resounding crash. They became the Shattered.

Upon observing their new forms, they became horrified by their own ugliness. "Oh... now no one will ever like me again..." one sighed in sorrow. "Xerneas, you bitch!" another roared in fury.

"You must learn why your actions were misguided. Ponder the true nature of your wrongdoings, only then will you regain your true forms, your true power," announced Xerneas.

"Impossible!"

*sigh*

"Honestly, we never were that smart..." they chimed in all at once.

She paused, lost in thought. "If the truth is too difficult to perceive for yourselves, then you must convince other Pokémon to teach you. What is Empathy? What is Justice? Regain your kindness, and search for the answers."

With that, she turned and vanished back into the night, returning to sleep for centuries more.

The new race scattered from the valley, and the exiled Pokémon returned. Too stubborn, they would never learn the truth on their own, despite their best philosophical efforts. In time, some of their descendants would meet man, and meet trainers. And, through his trainer, one in particular would meet two other Pokémon who held the wisdom he needed...

Last edited:
Magistrum: I suggest you do the blue homunculus body but the red head.

He's loosely based on salamanders, but more so real life ones than ones from myth. I tried to make his eyes look analytic, but they're just kinda creepy. i intend to colour his head to midbody blue but when it gets near the flame on its tail it'll be a purply red. im not sure if it represents water type enough
It shows enough water in my mind.

mod edit: merged posts, 1 post per 24 hours, read the rules!

Last edited by a moderator:

Supporting material:
http://i.imgur.com/TNEFCCR.png

What do you think of this one? I changed its granite hexagons for volcanic glass (I know it looks like ice, I'm working on it) to make sure it won't look like a rock type. It also allowed me to make it blue, because previously it clashed with brown.

I like where the other CAP discussions are going, they suit my pokemon so far.

BonzaiRod : It's just BRILLIANT! (munchlax/snorlax will be its archnemesis)

Cattail Prophet : I suggest less tentacles :D

Alright, time for me to get in here! I wanted to comment of every submission, but I soon found out that would be pretty unrealistic. On the bright side, that measn there are lots of submissions, which is great! Anyway:
Magistrum: I love them both, but especially the Homunculus. I'd go for the blue on the body with red flames.
Arkeis: Keeping working on your Indian Teapot Elephant. I really like your design.
Yilx: I love how you put so much personality into your character.
@Elchesso: I like it, but I think the fur needs more texture.
Agous: I think your manatee needs a more watery color scheme. Right now I don't really see either water or fire in it...
Anacrusis: Wow! That's very elaborate. It looks like a legendary.
Birkal: I like your Chubbyfish. It reminds me of Kirby and the Crystal Shards. ;)
BonzaiRob: What are it's eyes made of?
Bummer: I quite like your crab/pot. I'd make some steam escape if possible.
Cretacerus: I like the concept and drawing, but I think it needs to look more watery. Right now it looks like a Fire/Rock type to me.
Cutie Caitlyn: I really like all the different little references to fire and water. I don't like the red claws though.
DHR-107: The body needs more interest. I like the nuke reference around its eye.
Harry.Buxton and miririri: Your designs seem awfully similar to me. I love them both regardless.
hendrix96: I'm not certain, but you may be in violation of the rule about not bleeding into the background.
Mektar: At first I just though your design was creepy, but I love the backstory. It made it so much more tangible in my head (whatever that means.)
viiragon: I really like it, but where is the water in your design? I don't see it.
Flame_Effigy: I have but one problem with your design: The limbs. They're not bad, I just think they look kinda funny. It's just me though.

There were a lot of designs I liked but had nothing to really say about. In particular I want to say that Golurkyourself's design is awesome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for my submission!

It's a flower that spits fire, based off an orchid, which is growing in a cloud and it's roots stick out the bottom. Coincidentally it looks very Analytic to me (I made it before the Primary Ability voting.) It's my favorite of my two ideas as well.

And the other idea:
Edit: It's based of a scorpion and a water bomb, which they use in Iraq to take apart other bombs without detonating them. This guy uses it to make water attacks.
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/122865826@N06/13749907085/in/photostream/player/" width="100" height="74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
I made it first, and because of the ability CAP will have I'll probably go with the other one. I'd love to hear feedback on both though!

Last edited:

Updated design.
Its chest is a bright sun with rainbow colored rays surrounding it.
The extra non-organic pieces of it have been changed to a golden color to make it more cohesive.
The idea behind it is a "force of nature".

It propels itself by "Skating" with its non-capped legs allowing quick and purposeful movements. Although it may seem physically imposing, its limbs are made of a simple liquid, making it far less threatening than it may appear. It decorates its body using gold it finds. Many different Here-Comes-The-Sunmon have different mask designs and different objects cappings their tails.

Supporting arts.

And now for comments.
If I don't comment on your design it's because I have nothing "useful" to suggest for one reason or another, or because it's received plenty attention already.

EDIT - Cattail Prophet : When I said I wasn't sure what was going on with the shell I meant the thing that is sticking out of the side of it. It's like some sort of stove you're seeing from two angles at once. The bell on the tail of my design is just a little quirk. It was everything from a rain drop to a flame, but a non-blue rain drop looks odd, and the flame looked too similar to my pokemon's hands.
TeamNormalizer : Move his fins back more on the body. They are way too close to the head at the moment. Also this isn't directed at you specifically, but Analytic isn't given to the smartest pokemon. Otherwise Alakazam would have it over Watchog.
Birkal : Cool direction, but the colors aren't working for it at all. It's almost a blue-green that seems like grass.

Cutie Caitlyn : Try a new head shape? Your angle is off and it makes it look awkward.
viiragon : I'm kind of sad, really. The recoloring doesn't look as nice as your previous design, but the old coloring didn't work for the typing. This new coloring isn't working great either. Keep at it. I know you'll figure something out.
Yoshuriken : Interesting design, but it will be hard to make it appear non-grass. I suggest changing the position of the eyes and adjusting proportions a bit.
Mektar : I think you need to work on the design a bit more. Elaborate backstories are nice, but it's the art that really matters.
Wobblebuns : Looking better! If you can't make the snail aspect work, how about approaching another animal with your candlewax concept? It is very interesting and could likely be applied to many things.
Cattail Prophet : I'm not sure what's going on with the shell. I think you need less tentacles.
Azul: Cool...but I'm not feeling the volcano deal that is on top of the head.
BonzaiRob : Cute design. I especially like the eyes. No suggestions. Just thought I'd comment.
Harry.Buxton : I think you need to give it a different pose. The arms are awkward.
The Steam Punk : I'm sorry to say that I liked your previous design more than this new one. It was much more charming.
Golurkyourself : Really impressive. No suggestions.

More comments will come.

Last edited:
A few comments:
Mektar: Cool backstory! I can't say that I ever expected to see a pokemon swear. That said, I'm not sure how I feel about the design itself. The idea of a broken heart pokemon is neat, but there might be a better way to execute it than literally making the pokemon a broken heart.
Yoshuriken: I actually like the scorpion more than the flower, and think it could work pretty well. It looks a little overrealistic right now, though. I think making it more stylized/cartoony could help it look more "pokemon-ish." It might also make it look less like a bug type.
Flame_Effigy: What's the reasoning behind the bell tail, if I may ask? There's nothing wrong with it, I'm just curious is all.

Now, on to my design:

Two people suggested that I subtract some tentacles, and I have to say that having made the change, I agree that it looks a lot better this way. I also adjusted the shape of the shell a bit, making it more rounded on the bottom. Oh, and just for funsies, I decided to try my hand at making an origami nautilus-mon. I wasn't sure what to expect going into it, but I'm relatively satisfied with how it turned out. I probably won't add color to it or make a more polished version or anything; I just felt like sharing this little side project.

Edit: Made the image bigger mainly so I could smooth out the lines (it's hard to make smooth lines when the lines are only two pixels wide) Expect some supporting art for the Analytic ability soon.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Supporting artwork: (It's kinda messy due to a combination of laziness with sketching and serious sleep deprivation. Front pose and head poses. Also explanation of Analytic use)
http://i.imgur.com/47V7C78.png

I think I can finalize this now due lack of time on my part. I'll be away from the internet for a few months in just a handful of days and will likely miss the remainder of this project. It will be a nice to come back and see the final result though, so I wish everyone the best.

With my real life plans in consideration, I tried to make my design require very little revision when I first made it, so naturally this edit is just a cleaner version that is /hopefully/ more eye appealing and complete enough to call a final submission. (Issues with mane and tail aside. I'll never be able to decide what to do with it, so I'll leave it as is. Probably better to stop making it scream fire type. Fire hair is silly anyways.)

My CAP didn't seem to be bothered much by the decision of Analytic, in fact, I think it was in my favor flavor-wise more than something like Bulletproof. After all, Shachihoko were put on roofs to keep watch for danger. I've also always considered lions and mermen to be pretty stoic, watchful beings and those big ol' barbels of his turned out to be a useful design addition after all.

The same goes for how stats are leaning, I had a bulky special attacker in mind when I made him, so it's nice to see that my initial thoughts were correct. I don't predict that stats will majorly shift much as most people seem to have the same general consensus on what CAP 18 needs to beat and the stats he needs to beat them (ignoring speed debates, at least.)

Movepools and secondary abilities will probably be my bane, but there's little I can do to circumvent that. Oh well.

In the meantime, I'll /try/ to edit this post to add comments. I have a lot of last minute things to do and a lot of packing, so I can't promise much. Either way, it's nice to see how far some have come with theirs and I've been checking back to view a lot of them. Keep at it. :D

Edit: Fixed the tail smudge. Hoping it's acceptable now. ^^;

Last edited:
FINAL SUBMISSION

First time actually submitting art for CAP. Hopefully this works ^^

Supporting art

Surf, Fire Blast, a pose

(click to view full - 319kb)

Infiltrator

(click to view full - 111kb)

Original, more realistic design

(click to view full - 200kb)

The concept is kind of a cooled lava/magma octopus with water streams as tentacles. Its siphon is a steam vent - steam is going to be there when hot water is!

It fits with the ability because an octopus is quite intelligent (see: here, well over 500kb so be warned), and if Infiltrator (the majority popular ability in the secondary poll) makes it as well, octopi can make themselves quite small to fit into gaps they might not otherwise be able to, also seen in the linked pic before.

The fleshy material below the eyes/siphon is somewhat of a hard rubbery texture, as you might infer from the way it's shaded.

The water streams are kinda like rapids.

Good luck to everyone! Really liking the noodle and nautilus ones.

Last edited:
Here it is.

Now with high end, HD, technicolor shadows!!1! (huehuehue) Anyway, this will likely be my last update prior to my soon to come, Final Submission, so hey. Figure I'll take any feedback on the shading and such, post some final comments as service to anyone wanting to hear my input, and just in general wrap things up in respect to this design.

In addition, supporting material will be put (here) once it is finished, as well as towards the latter end of my afformentioned Final Submission, once it is made. Again, any feedback on possible design or shading improvements is much appreciated, and that's about it for now. On to comments!

BonzaiRob: It is... very, very good. Creative, funny, and yet still within reason as being considered a serious design. I suppose if there were any real criticisms to make, I get the whole steaming noodles motif, but making it more fire type-esque might help your design a little more. Even then, that's pretty nitpicking as a suggestion, so, good job.

Yoshuriken: I'm kind of torn. The idea of a fire-spitting Orchid looks like it could go in a very cool direction, but the art you have so far makes me think it may not be a good choice for this CAP in particular. First off, a flower anywhere in any design almost always implies a grass or fairy typing, and secondly, I'm not sure if there's some kind of justification that I may have missed by accident, but why is the Orchid growing on a cloud? If it has some kind of Mythological tie or something of that caliber, cool, but it feels like an unnecessary reasoning for a water typing, not to mention clouds are usually connotated with the flying type anyways. Not to say that this design is badly executed, it looks great, but I personally couldn't see it being a Fire/Water type. Your scorpion on the other hand, oh boy. Yes. If you want my input, maybe tinker with some of the aesthetics a little more, but keep this design. It works great with it's typing, and is extensively unique in comparison to the average entry to this concept. This one could easily win over my vote. Also, a design based off of Scorpions and Iraqi Water Bombs seems like it would be much more Analytic than an Orchid, IMO.

Wobblebuns: NOOOOO! Please don't scrap Snailcandles!! You're right in that Snailserpantcandles needs some work as a design, and that it looks like an alternate evo of Sligoo, but still, Snailcandles is a wonderful concept. Hell, I think Snailserpantcandles as is, is a wonderful concept. If you do decide to scrap it, could you try scrapping or partially melting the shell, and toying with the color scheme first, please? I feel as if that could fix your problems while still keeping the Snailcandles dream alive.

(Edit, still Wobblebuns): Well... That was ONIX-pected. :P For serious though, I did not see anything like what you just made coming, but hey, it looks great! Though I feel as if it kind of loses the snail aspect of snailcandles, with being a mermaid and all, this still looks amazing, and is definitely going in the right direction.

Billy the Alrune: I do have to say, after reading into MosQuitoxe's post regarding the Saint Bernard a little more, I too thought about trying my hand at a gasoline based pokemon. So I made a barrel. And it looked dumb. Then I tried making a car-thing. And it looked dumb. And then I thought to my self; "You know what, this is dumb. There's no way whatsoever that you can turn gasoline into a legitimately pleasing looking creature.", and went my merry way, continuing to work on my main concept. You, sir, have proven me wrong. This can go somewhere, especially with how great it looks right now, so please, take it somewhere. This is amazing. All I have to say.

(Edit, still Billy the Alrune): Dawww, thanks! Also, screw Krillowatt, Mantis Shrimp is superior. (By the way, I actually took Krillowatt into consideration when trying to make this design, thus why there are a fair amount of features that differentiate the two. I see what you're saying though.) Also, I would like to suggest my own pallet for your 'mon. First of all, if I'm going off of what you've provided, I think the bottom right is the best coloration, however I do happen to have a few problems with it. First of all, might I suggest making the body more real-life gas canister colored? Like a darker red or very faded brown? Also, I would like to see what the red parts of the arms look like when changed to a black, oil-like color. I feel like if you did these two things, it might help to make you design synergize more with your description of this guy, while still being recognized as a fire type. Also, maybe make a design or insignia on the main rectangular body? Kind of just a personal suggestion, but it could make your design more recognizable.

More to comments to come soon, as well as my final submission. Any feedback welcome. By the way, thanks to anyone and everyone who helped with this concept, or just helped further this part of the CAP process in general. I know that there's a fair amount of time before things really pick up into the design phase of things, but I imagine this will be my last semi-informal post for awhile, so to all my future 'competitors' I suppose, thanks and good luck.

*Edit: Am new and dumb. Will work on tags.

Last edited:
Thank you hendrix96, Flame_Effigy, and ZirconSubway for your comments and suggestions. I am convinced to push on my initial concept so I decided to give Snailcandles another go. After hours upon hours of brainstorming and sketching, I finally came to a potential end result. I present to you... Snailmermaidcandles!

I'm usually not into making humanoid-like Pokemon but hopefully, it works well here. I'll provide a background about her design and some flavor aspects when I feel like it. (/"-3-)/

I made a few mini-images with possible pallets I might use before finishing the character.

Mod edit: Read the rules in the OP regarding posting multiple images.

I'm not sure which to use. I would like some feedback on the pallets. If you want, choose the one you think looks best, or even suggest your own pallet.

Harry.Buxton: A pretty cool design, but seems a bit... easy. Dragons are cool, everyone likes them, and they can be used in so many ways, which makes them kind of an obvious choice. Still, I am highly digging those water pipes. They are awesome.

Chomz: What I'm seeing is pretty cool, but it's also a dragon. Still, it's a decent straight-forward design. I would like to see more.

Mektar: ...I don't really get the connection between blood and either element. However, if you worked on the design I bet it would be pretty cool. Like others have said, try to make a design that's more than just a broken heart with a face.

Yoshuriken: I'm liking the idea, but I do think the actual flower could have more character to it than just being a flower with eyes. Still, it looks like quite a promising idea.

viiragon: I like some of the ideas of this creature, but I'm not digging how human it looks. It's just a personal opinion, but human designs generally have a familiar look to them that sort of comes off as generic to me. Still, the magma armor idea is pretty cool. I don't know about taking it far enough to make it seem more rock based than fire based.

Cattail Prophet: That aint a half-bad design, actually. Still, CAP already does have Mollux, and I don't know about having two mollusk type Pokemon in CAP.

Kyukon: That's pretty boss. A bit dragon-like but enough Merman to balance it out. However, I am not sure where fire fits into the design.

BonzaiRob: I am not a good critic on food-based designs, since I have a hard time taking them seriously unless they actually look like living creatures. Slurpuff did that well, while Vanilluxe (IMO) looked too much like an ice-cream cone to be taken seriously as a legit Pokemon. Sadly, this creature also looks too close to the food it's based on in my opinion. However, I do admire its originality.

Flame_Effigy: I have no real complaints with this design, so I cannot really criticize it very well.

V4Lover: A good idea, but it looks a bit too familiar to me. I'm not sure what it is about the character.

ZirconSubway: Dawww, thanks. :D I really do like yours as well. It's simple, but too the point, and it looks like a believable Pokemon. Still, kind of have the same thing with Cattail Prophet's idea, since CAP already has a crustacean in Krillowat. Still, in both cases they are both based off of different mollusks/crustaceans, so I guess it's not too bad.

Wobblebuns: Like I said, I am not really keen on humanoid designs. Plus, the flames on its head seem like an after thought. However, it does look believable, to say the least. Still, I don't think changing your old idea was the way to go. I liked the old design better, and I think it would have been better to redesign to body a bit so it didn't look like Sliggo/Litwik/Dragonair hybrid.

User of Shadows: Again, a pretty cool idea that I don't have much to criticize.

Edit: There, better? Got rid of an image. I'm still learning. :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure which to use. I would like some feedback on the pallets. If you want, choose the one you think looks best, or even suggest your own pallet.
I would definitely go with the bottom right palette. The bright blue and orange in the other palettes are a little too overpowering, imo.
Also, there are actually two molluscs in CAP right now: Arghonaut.

...I'm not really helping my case here, am I?

Anyway, as promised, have some art of nautilus-mon looking extra Analytic:

Edit: Bonus Ending

Last edited:
So last month I discussed Birkal's, Agous's, Magistrum's, mcFlareon's, and Yilx's awesome contributions to the art of CAP18 (Seriously if none of the above mentioned get into the poll, my bitter tooth will kick in and all I'll eat are herbs XP).
After two weeks or so since my last post, I'll be commenting on pieces that really stood out to me personally.

Blue Frog: I have to admit that when I first saw the design, I kept scrolling for more interesting pieces. The colour scheme was okay, my personal affinity for non-red designs. The concept with the fins and the Magikarp-insignia on its pot design just felt so GameFreak and looked like gen 7-hopeful fan art. However (I apologize for my initial judgements, really), after the major edit where the boiled fish becomes a boiling lobster (including the steel legs) as well as the supporting art, I was sold on it. The concept reminds me of the Pokemon Geodude and Voltorb, both who resemble seemingly non-sentient beings, only to prove the opposite when handled or stepped on. The boiling lobster pot looks like it could be disguised as a normal boiling pot of water on the shore, only to be picked up and annoyed by its attacker.
It would seem like an unlikely Pokemon to be in the core, but I definitely would like this lobster-pot in this core.

Chaos Wolf: Your design really doesn't remind me of the Ushi Oni in Naruto, so I had to look up art of that kind of demon. The piece has its merits, and really, I don't see much to improve with this design. It's solid, works with the type well, and looks yummy threatening.

Chomz: Your design feel to it, doesn't it. I like it. The supporting art was a beneficial addition as I thought it could lend to the Dex entries once all the crucial assessments are completed. It definitely looks like a speedy Pokemon which may or may not help after the stat spreads have been chosen. Either way, I believe it could still work since it's another solid design.

Flame_Effigy: Daebak! (Korean slang for Whoa!) This design improved a lot! I was really liking the dreamcatcher design because it was becoming more fond to me as time went on. It stood out to me because of its wiry design and odd style. But, dude, the humanoid edit gave it a much cooler look in my opinion. Your supporting art of the Analytic relation was a nice touch, and I definitely think this design has become better as time went on.

Golurkyourself: Nice! I believe this is the creepiest design I've seen throughout these past few weeks. With those additional small blue lights dotted around its whole body, I was definitely scared of it. Nonetheless, it had that threatening vibe to it, especially when you edited it and added the mini tendrils to the body. The flaming eyes was another cool and creepy touch to it.

miririri: Cute salamander is cute. Another design I think would look odd with the core, its design outlines both its types greatly. I-
I just need a plush toy of this.

Mos-Quitoxe: I can definitely see the resemblance to the barrel-toting 'Bernards. A warrior dog concept is something I'd like in this core. It has that blue in its colour scheme that could be a bit more indigo but still contrasts well with the soft red. Analytic would be odd with this dog, as dogs don't have good eyesight nor do they immediately gain sight within the first week of life (senses pups gain after birth: smell, auditory a few days later, sight a week or so after auditory iirc). To play D'sA to my argument, its sense of smell may be better, as it smells when Aegi has switched and a new scent comes in, making it annoyed and more fierce!

@Quanyalis: Again, another design that uses good contrasting techniques with blue and red. Solid design and can fit well with the concept. Fox+Cat+Dragon sounds good.

All of the works so far have really improved over the past few weeks, and I'm really sad that we'll have to pick a single design out of all of these. Really, these designs were pretty impressive however basic and outlandish they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)