Media One Piece (spoilers!)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If any idiotic notion was put to rest this chapter, it was the one that suggested that Jesus Burgess was anything more than semi-strong fodder. I'm so glad he ended up getting one-shot easily by Sabo once Sabo got serious (and not even like the target of the attack-- just caught up in the after-math).

Jesus was meh fodder before time skip, and you better damn well be sure he's meh fodder now too. Sure Sabo is a bad ass, but he's not sooo much stronger than Luffy that he can fodderize someone Luffy would have trouble with.

Everyone who said Jesus could beat Luffy easily (or fuck, everyone who thought Jesus would beat Luffy at all) was a fucking idiot, and I'm glad that dumb idea got put in its place here. Jesus is-- Franky level? maybe... Monster trio level? Not even fucking close.

The only thing that was idiotic was Flamingo actually placing the Mera Mera in that chest box, I mean seriously does that guy not know what dwells in the new world or how much fucking OP that power is? I really do hope Luffy wipes the floor with his face when the arc is over, nobody that full of himself and so reckless should get away unpunished. I do love his fashion style though!

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's idiotic because the time skip would have been completely pointless if Sanji still needed a power up to be near Luffy's and Zoro's level. The main reason for the time skip was to make the main characters strong enough for the NW, and Sanji eating the Mera Mera would contradict that. It just makes zero sense from a storytelling point of view.
What?

You contradict yourself literally mid thought. Let's go with the main reason for the timeskip being making the main characters strong for the NW. What does catching up to Luffy / Zoro have to do with that? Maybe Luffy and Zoro are super strong, much stronger than they _need_ to be (note how a bunch of supernova survived fine in the new world without training)? Also, where is it stated that Sanji would eat the the fruit ato be at their level, not simply get stronger?

All of those work fine within the context of the timeskip being to get ready for the New World.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What?

You contradict yourself literally mid thought. Let's go with the main reason for the timeskip being making the main characters strong for the NW. What does catching up to Luffy / Zoro have to do with that? Maybe Luffy and Zoro are super strong, much stronger than they _need_ to be (note how a bunch of supernova survived fine in the new world without training)? Also, where is it stated that Sanji would eat the the fruit ato be at their level, not simply get stronger?

All of those work fine within the context of the timeskip being to get ready for the New World.
Let me explain it better then. There are two simple concepts, the first being that the timeskip happened to make the crew strong enough for the NW, and the second being that the Monster Trio is close in terms of power, especially Zoro and Sanji. Sanji getting the Mera Mera goes against both concepts because: 1. it defeats the purpose of the timeskip and 2. either makes Sanji much stronger than Zoro or puts Sanji close to Zoro's level, which means that Sanji was way weaker before the fruit, both of which go against the concept of Zoro and Sanji being close in terms of power. Zori and Sanji are supposed to be close in terms of power, and the Mera Mera would change this, because it's a huge buff, not a small one.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If any idiotic notion was put to rest this chapter, it was the one that suggested that Jesus Burgess was anything more than semi-strong fodder. I'm so glad he ended up getting one-shot easily by Sabo once Sabo got serious (and not even like the target of the attack-- just caught up in the after-math).

Jesus was meh fodder before time skip, and you better damn well be sure he's meh fodder now too. Sure Sabo is a bad ass, but he's not sooo much stronger than Luffy that he can fodderize someone Luffy would have trouble with.

Everyone who said Jesus could beat Luffy easily (or fuck, everyone who thought Jesus would beat Luffy at all) was a fucking idiot, and I'm glad that dumb idea got put in its place here. Jesus is-- Franky level? maybe... Monster trio level? Not even fucking close.
jesus had a nice showing in this fight; it looked even for a bit with Sabo (2nd commander of dragons crew) and showed no visible distress in the panels. even when he broke his armor during that clash, he still continued to fight up until Sabo destroyed the arena. oda handled their power levels pretty well; sabo is obviously stronger but not significantly stronger in terms of strength and i really do think jesus can give zoro and sanji a hard time, and possibly luffy just based on his fight with sabo.

The only thing that was idiotic was Flamingo actually placing the Mera Mera in that chest box, I mean seriously does that guy not know what dwells in the new world or how much fucking OP that power is?
ya flamingo dun goofed. they mentioned that the fruit wasn't even supposed to be given out anyway regardless of the winner. you would think to put a fake fruit in the box if that was the plan.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
just because you didn't agree with it doesn't mean it's idiotic lol; there was plenty of foreshadowing for it...namely Sanji's fire / heat based attacked and his frequent super saiyin explosions of fire

Yes, there may have been other things pointing in the other direction, like the existence of Blue Walk, but it doesn't make the theory idiotic at all.
I'd can definitely see why people see it as an idiotic theory. First of all, Sanji's entire reason for joining the Strawhat crew in the first place was to be able to go to All-Blue and catch fish for cooking, not being able to swim would put a dent in that no? Also, would it really make sense for Sanji to get such a massive power-up? It'd immediately undermine the Monster Trio.

Still not nearly as laughable as the "Zoro's sword is gonna eat the fruit" theories, now that's idiocy personified

Wait what? How does Sabo beating Burgess have anything to do with Luffy vs Burgess? Sabo is almost certainly vastly superior to Luffy in terms of fighting capability. Based on the flashback, Sabo and Ace are equals and Luffy was greatly inferior even when Luffy was the only one with a Devil Fruit. Before timeskip, Ace was on a whole other level compared to Luffy, he even managed to hang with Aokiji for a brief stint. Even now, Luffy would still probably lose to pre-timeskip Ace. It's not unreasonable to think that Sabo and Ace progressed at a similar rate, putting Sabo well above Luffy. Yes, Luffy has trained with Rayleigh for two years, but Sabo has trained with Dragon for 10, while likely getting involved in far more brutal conflicts than the Strawhats too considering his position.

All this proves is that the Revolutionaries are a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All in all great chapter, but the Ussop thing would have been 100 times better if it wasn't an exact remake of Buggy's situation.

Really curious to see what the fuck is up with Mingo, and to see the backstory of him and Law.

And finally, the idiotic theory of Sanji getting the Mera Mera is over.
Except Usopp is you know, 100 times better than Buggy.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wait what? How does Sabo beating Burgess have anything to do with Luffy vs Burgess? Sabo is almost certainly vastly superior to Luffy in terms of fighting capability. Based on the flashback, Sabo and Ace are equals and Luffy was greatly inferior even when Luffy was the only one with a Devil Fruit. Before timeskip, Ace was on a whole other level compared to Luffy, he even managed to hang with Aokiji for a brief stint. Even now, Luffy would still probably lose to pre-timeskip Ace. It's not unreasonable to think that Sabo and Ace progressed at a similar rate, putting Sabo well above Luffy. Yes, Luffy has trained with Rayleigh for two years, but Sabo has trained with Dragon for 10, while likely getting involved in far more brutal conflicts than the Strawhats too considering his position.

All this proves is that the Revolutionaries are a force to be reckoned with.
Sabo smashing Burgess sets the tone for the character (who was also deemed so inferior pre-time skip that he should "back off" and not get involved with the fight with Ace)-- he will never be a character that can be a rival for Luffy moving forward in the plot. Especially with OP, I find plot and story telling cues to be more accurate than some attempt at "objective" analysis based purely on "facts". From a plot/story-telling aspect, Burgess getting smashed here that easily puts him much lower on the rung in terms of his character development.

Plus, Sabo's confidence in Luffy's ability puts the evaluation of Luffy's strength much closer to his instead of Burgess'. Pre-time skip most of the "seasoned" characters treated Luffy as cute, but naive-- something not even Dofla treats him as now. Even Ace never showed a belief in Luffy's ability to reach the top, thinking of him as cute and asking Jimbe to "look out" for him. Sabo on the other hand, obviously sees Luffy as reaching their based on how he saw his abilities after re-uniting.

Wait what? When did Sabo beat anyone? All he did was take the fruit and smash the ground they were on. Then he ran away once he got what he was looking for. He didn't even target Jesus after their first little clash. All this proves is Jesus, like the rest of the BB pirates, act silly and aren't serious half the time. And his reaction time is pretty bad. Not once in this chapter did i see Sabo do anything that Jesus couldn't have done if he was serious. I didn't see him beat anyone and the show he put doesn't even tell us he's even in Buegess' level. Just like BB, Burgess' powers are being kept a secret. So yeah go ahead and keep making stuff up.

Imo Burgess showed MORE raw power this arc even with LESS total exposure(of his powers). His elbow attacks, which were generic, weak effort-wise(for Burgess himself) had more impact on the battlefield. Sabo had to use a (seemingly) very powerful named attack with the help of the Mera, which is very powerful destructive fruit, to make what amounts to a hole in the ground. Jesus could have as easily done all that with a generic punch for all you know. Had he been allowed to truly go wild this early in the story. But alas Oda cannot let a beast like him show his real powers.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I saw it as Sabo using the Fire to get out of the arena and not create the hole in the ground because he did that before he even ate the fruit. Also, fuckin no one is buying Burgess > Sabo lol

Edit: Looking back at the chapter the escape was clearly what happened. It's pretty impressive that Sabo's first DF technique could do all that imo

Last edited:
All I see is him getting hit with a rock. Is the rock stronger than burgess? And again the BB pirates all have a wacky side that is necessary because of their strength.

Vein please don't say shit like
law is badass
and
and yea, sabo
while talking about the unreleased chapter for the week....

also fuck if you're right about no op next week
i'm in japan now and my roommates got the screenshots and dunno how they got them (well, these are rich dudes and money can buy everything). In any case, i was excited to post here about this great chapter days ago but still seems nobody read it yet.

and yeah, no op next week if my understanding of japanese is right

and yeah, SAAAAABBOOOO!

And my man ussopp is the greatest!

An unofficial list of Usopp lies:

List of Usopp lies becomes the truth:

1. Pirates are attacking the village (chap 23). Kuro's army really attacking. Check.
2. A giant goldfish with poop as large as an island. (chap 24). Dorry and Broggy confirmed it. Check.
3. Country of Dwarf (chap 24). Dressrosa arc confirmed it. Check
4. Wanted to see a huge mole in Kaya's mansion (chap 24). Fight with mrs. Merry Christmast. Check.
5. A cerberus (chap 40). Actual cerberus in Thriller Bark Arc. Check.
6. Same with no.5 this time A dragon (chap 40). Actual Dragon in Punk Hazard. Check.
7. Claimed Luffy's first bounty is his (chap 114). Got his first bounty at 30 million Berry. Check.
8. Usopp is an expert in sniping (chap 42). Birth of Sogeking. Check.
9. A beautiful swordswoman has come with meat (chap 458). Rebecca. Check.
10. Has 8 thousand followers (chap 72, 185, and 332). Well, the Elbaf warrior, the dwarves, and all the toys that become humans again. Check.

Yet to come:
11. He said to his dying mother that there is a magical medicine in other parts of the sea that can cure every disease (chap 41). Maybe Chopper will found it later in Raftel or somewhere.
12. Call the shop owner an alien (chap 40). Well, I believe it's a forecast for Enel's returns.
And if the Tontattas build a statue of him... that will be his second. He's the greatest.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
About the Sanji x Meramera argument, i wouldn't call it idiotic; it was a fun theory. The only thing that made me not believe it is that Sanji will only sacrifice his ability to swim for the invisibility fruit (which was already consumed by Absalom).

And lol Usopp the Lion King
NAAAAANTSSIINNNGGOONYYAAAAAAMABAGITHIII

Edit: sorry I just couldnt resist

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh jeez, that is SO my new profile pic when I get my new computer.

Edit*

Usopp used Roar!

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On another note, Doflamingo with this "Bird Cage" of his. This is gonna drive me crazy not knowing what it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)