The Next Best Thing, LC Edition

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
So do you guys like using Stone Edge and Rock Slide as Rock STAB?

Then I guess you also like sucking blarajan 's massive brown schween.

THERE IS ONLY ONE ROCK STAB THAT REALLY ROCKS

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 5
EVs: 180 Spd / 212 Atk / 76 SDef / 36 Def
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Rollout
- Aqua Jet

AUTOBOTS ROLL OUT

So what you do is force a bitch like Fletchling out use your swag StudyJuice to set up Shell Smash. And then you either throw up a Substitute if you can or start attacking. Rollout is the PAIN TRAIN. With each hit, Rollout's power DOUBLES, maxing out at an anus-rupturing 480 BASE POWER.

+2 212 Atk Tirtouga Rollout vs. 196 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Lickitung: 76-91 (271.4 - 325%) -- YOU KILL THIS FUCKER THREE TIMES OVER

unless he Protects, but big plays like that are rare

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS

Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 20 Spd / 212 Atk / 80 SDef / 84 HP / 96 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Been using this a lot since it is the tankiest mo fucka living Drilbur EQ, Meditite and Mienfool Drain Punches and Missy Thunderbolts and putting them in their place. It sets SR up and also beasts Dwebble with Knock Off + Aqua Jet and stays at full HP if Dwebble tries to hazard. Unlike Sturdy + Juice this one actually BEATS DRILBUR.

also why can't we post the next best thing instead of the next best set of a pokemon that's already a big thing? I mean unless it's the "second best thing".

ALMIGHTY COVER FOSSIL (Tirtouga) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 252 SAtk / 180 Spd / 12 Def
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam / Earth Power
- Ancient Power / Earth Power

Exactly what it looks like, Specially-based Tirt. Tirtouga hits an awesome 32 SpA and 22 Speed after a Shell Smash, so it can start dishing out hits with its great special movepool. Hydro Pump is the obligatory STAB move, spam it whenever possible. Ice Beam provides necessary coverage against Grass-types (did I mention it always OHKOs Eviolite Foongus after Stealth Rock? Boring standard Shell Smash Tirt can't do this). Ancient Power is a cool STAB move to use if you have the opportunity to. If you manage to get the stat boosts, you pretty much win. Earth Power hits Chinchou harder than any other move on the set, so it's a viable option as well.

Why use Special Tirt over the faster/stronger Helix Fossil? The answer is simple; Tirtouga has a much easier time setting up thanks to Sturdy+Berry Juice, something Omanyte could only dream of. This also means Tirtouga is less prone to being revenged.

Why use it over Physical Tirt? .....I'll come up with some more reasons in a bit, but this
+2 252+ SpA Tirtouga Ice Beam vs. 124 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 22-28 (88 - 112%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
...is pretty nice

Last edited:
I was going to do weakness policy Tirtouga but meh.

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
EVs: 180 Spd / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 88 HP
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Guard Swap

Basically you shell smash then guard swap away your lowered defenses with the target. Maybe it's gimmicky idk.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tirtouga @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 HP / 132 Atk / 172 SpA / 180 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide / Earthquake

Mixed Weakness Policy Tirtouga reaches +4 / +4 offenses after a Shell Smash and a super effective hit. Once opposing priority users are out of the way, it can nail everything bar Ferroseed for huge damage. Waterfall hits everything insanely hard from 51 Attack, and still hits hard off 34 if you fail to trigger Weakness Policy. Ice Beam is a powerful move and gives Tirtouga excellent coverage and nails all the birds in the tier extremely hard if you're lacking Rock-type coverage. Rock Slide is powerful STAB and hurts a lot of things in the tier, but Earthquake can be used to annihilate Chinchou.

Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 76 SDef / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Setup Tirtouga with a twist. Best I could come up with as I would fully use Heysup's own set he came up with.
Anyways the focus of this set is to use the combo of Rain Dance + Swift Swim together. Overall this is basically just an inferior shell smash combo but I expect this could surprise some unprepared teams/people.

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 180 Spd / 84 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Flail

I describe it as soon as possibile (this weekend).

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hey, I bet this is awful and makes no sense but whatever.

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
EVs: 76 SDef / 212 Atk / 172 Def / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Shell Smash
-Whirlpool
-Aqua Jet/Waterfall
-Stone Edge/Earthquake

You thought you could run from Tirtouga? Bitch, please, Tirtouga decides when you get to switch out, and it sure ain't now. After all, everyone else in the tier, they're jealous of Tirtouga's incredible swag and don't let him set up more than once. Tirtouga didn't like that, so he set up a nice place for his enemies to sleep at the bottom of a f***ing whirlpool.

The basic idea is to set up to whatever the hell you want on something that threatens you about as much as cheese threatens a knife. Who can stop you once you get to +6? No goddamn thing in the tier, cause they ain't shit on a +6 Tirtouga.

The EVs are for maximum attack and more defenses, just in case you run into something that refuses to die to aqua jet and has its own priority. Of course, you can also decide to run a riskier moveset using waterfall, but then you get screwed royally by pretty much any priority. Stone Edge is a powerful STAB, but if you chose to run Aqua Jet then Earthquake is your only way to OHKO pawniard.

Both Croagunk and Lileep are checks, as Lileep is usually 2HKOed by Stone Edge and Croagunk can kill with Vacuum Wave. Once you get to +4, of course, then you have no counters. Everything is 2HKOed. Everything.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
Adamant Nature
-Shell Smash
-Whirlpool
-Aqua Jet/Waterfall
-Stone Edge/Earthquake

You thought you could run from Tirtouga? Bitch, please, Tirtouga decides when you get to switch out, and it sure ain't now. After all, everyone else in the tier, they're jealous of Tirtouga's incredible swag and don't let him set up more than once. Tirtouga didn't like that, so he set up a nice place for his enemies to sleep at the bottom of a f***ing whirlpool.

The basic idea is to set up to whatever the hell you want on something that threatens you about as much as cheese threatens a knife. Who can stop you once you get to +6? No goddamn thing in the tier, cause they ain't shit on a +6 Tirtouga.

The EVs are for maximum attack and more defenses, just in case you run into something that refuses to die to aqua jet and has its own priority. Of course, you can also decide to run a riskier moveset using waterfall, but then you get screwed royally by pretty much any priority. Stone Edge is a powerful STAB, but if you chose to run Aqua Jet then Earthquake is your only way to OHKO pawniard.

Both Croagunk and Lileep are checks, as Lileep is usually 2HKOed by Stone Edge and Croagunk can kill with Vacuum Wave. Once you get to +4, of course, then you have no counters. Everything is 2HKOed. Everything.
but how are you making them stay in when they can just switch out without getting touched by whirlpool?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
but how are you making them stay in when they can just switch out without getting touched by whirlpool?
Either find a stupid player or find a wynaut. Either works.

In addition, it can also function as a normal, bulkier but slower SmashTirt in a pinch.

Besides, Starmaster can testify to the power of a +6 Tirtouga.

Also I was totally going to do wp tirt before it was stolen i swear i had the idea first

Last edited:
Two days of inactivity mean it's voting time again! Same rules as last time. Here are the sets:

i feel like the defensive solid rock set is too standard to be posted here. if I'm wrong, ignore the rest of this post and I'm reserving that one

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
EVs: 180 Spd / 212 Atk
Lonely Nature (+atk, -def)
- Shell Smash
- Flail
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet/Protect

No EV's besides Attack and Speed, and a -defense nature to give a higher chance at getting to 1hp

i believe i posted this last generation as well, but i feel like it'd still work with the required support, and perhaps even better now that Berry juice is there (although, on the other hand, Knock Off has been gotten more common too, and that really hurts this set)

basically get to 1HP with at least a +2 in speed and attack, spam Flail and win. Flail is incredibly powerful; for reference: A 1HP Flail is 1.66 times stronger than a STAB'd waterfall.

there's a lot of stuff that beats this set:
Hail
Hazards
Multi-hit moves
Status ailments (all of them, really)
Ferroseed
Croagunk
if running Aqua Jet, anything with Fake Out beats you
if running Protect, anything with priority that's able to tank an Aqua Jet beats you.

This is mostly a fun set and shouldn't really be used on serious teams, but i couldn't find anything better*. it should be fun to try and build a gimmicky team around this set though

*well there's this one thing, but meh, it still gets walled by the same mons, that's no fun

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
EVs: 212 Atk / 180 Spd / 12 Def / 76 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Jet

lead Tirtouga, designed to get up rocks early game, then support the team with knock off, and check flying/normal types. Rock Slide better than Stone Edge cos it's enough for fletchling and krow or whatever, but idk if stone edge htis anything else better. Aqua Jet is prio cos prio is cool, good for general checking of stuff. 11 speed outspeeds most walls - might do some calcs to find if there's any better spread for now that'll do

reasons to use over dwebble: can set up SR whilst still checking other mons throughout the game cos flyign and fire resistances. most don't expect tirtouga to lead as it's usually saved as a late game sweeper, so can often end up with a better lead matchup. priority.

]So do you guys like using Stone Edge and Rock Slide as Rock STAB?

Then I guess you also like sucking blarajan 's massive brown schween.

THERE IS ONLY ONE ROCK STAB THAT REALLY ROCKS

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
EVs: 180 Spd / 212 Atk / 76 SDef / 36 Def
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Rollout
- Aqua Jet

AUTOBOTS ROLL OUT

So what you do is force a bitch like Fletchling out use your swag StudyJuice to set up Shell Smash. And then you either throw up a Substitute if you can or start attacking. Rollout is the PAIN TRAIN. With each hit, Rollout's power DOUBLES, maxing out at an anus-rupturing 480 BASE POWER.

+2 212 Atk Tirtouga Rollout vs. 196 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Lickitung: 76-91 (271.4 - 325%) -- YOU KILL THIS FUCKER THREE TIMES OVER

unless he Protects, but big plays like that are rare

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS

Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 20 Spd / 212 Atk / 80 SDef / 84 HP / 96 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Been using this a lot since it is the tankiest mo fucka living Drilbur EQ, Meditite and Mienfool Drain Punches and Missy Thunderbolts and putting them in their place. It sets SR up and also beasts Dwebble with Knock Off + Aqua Jet and stays at full HP if Dwebble tries to hazard. Unlike Sturdy + Juice this one actually BEATS DRILBUR.

also why can't we post the next best thing instead of the next best set of a pokemon that's already a big thing? I mean unless it's the "second best thing".

ALMIGHTY COVER FOSSIL (Tirtouga) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 252 SAtk / 180 Spd / 12 Def
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam / Earth Power
- Ancient Power / Earth Power

Exactly what it looks like, Specially-based Tirt. Tirtouga hits an awesome 32 SpA and 22 Speed after a Shell Smash, so it can start dishing out hits with its great special movepool. Hydro Pump is the obligatory STAB move, spam it whenever possible. Ice Beam provides necessary coverage against Grass-types (did I mention it always OHKOs Eviolite Foongus after Stealth Rock? Boring standard Shell Smash Tirt can't do this). Ancient Power is a cool STAB move to use if you have the opportunity to. If you manage to get the stat boosts, you pretty much win. Earth Power hits Chinchou harder than any other move on the set, so it's a viable option as well.

Why use Special Tirt over the faster/stronger Helix Fossil? The answer is simple; Tirtouga has a much easier time setting up thanks to Sturdy+Berry Juice, something Omanyte could only dream of. This also means Tirtouga is less prone to being revenged.

Why use it over Physical Tirt? .....I'll come up with some more reasons in a bit, but this
+2 252+ SpA Tirtouga Ice Beam vs. 124 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 22-28 (88 - 112%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
...is pretty nice

I was going to do weakness policy Tirtouga but meh.

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
EVs: 180 Spd / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 88 HP
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Guard Swap

Basically you shell smash then guard swap away your lowered defenses with the target. Maybe it's gimmicky idk.

Tirtouga @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 HP / 132 Atk / 172 SpA / 180 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide / Earthquake

Mixed Weakness Policy Tirtouga reaches +4 / +4 offenses after a Shell Smash and a super effective hit. Once opposing priority users are out of the way, it can nail everything bar Ferroseed for huge damage. Waterfall hits everything insanely hard from 51 Attack, and still hits hard off 34 if you fail to trigger Weakness Policy. Ice Beam is a powerful move and gives Tirtouga excellent coverage and nails all the birds in the tier extremely hard if you're lacking Rock-type coverage. Rock Slide is powerful STAB and hurts a lot of things in the tier, but Earthquake can be used to annihilate Chinchou.

Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 76 SDef / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Setup Tirtouga with a twist. Best I could come up with as I would fully use Heysup's own set he came up with.
Anyways the focus of this set is to use the combo of Rain Dance + Swift Swim together. Overall this is basically just an inferior shell smash combo but I expect this could surprise some unprepared teams/people.

Tirtouga @ Berry Juice
Adamant Nature
-Shell Smash
-Whirlpool
-Aqua Jet/Waterfall
-Stone Edge/Earthquake

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)