Creative and innovative sets :) no shitty gimmicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok let's try this again.

Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the OU metagame.

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.
What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
If you post a shitty gimmick, your post will be deleted and infracted, NO EXCEPTIONS.

What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in OU, for the sake of using it in OU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractacle or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.
  • This is an OU thread. Don't post some Lugia set.
A shitty gimmick is not limited to the above, though. To quote Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."

So here is an example I have thought of, used in high levels of play, and been successful with:

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
-Roost
-Defog
-Foul Play
-U-Turn

This set fits amazingly well on offensive/balanced teams. The first three moveslots are standard, allowing mandibuzz to check nearly every physical attacker while being arguably the most reliable defogger out there. Now the last slot is up for grabs. Some run toxic, although that has very few targets. Taunt, knock off, etc can work as well, although all make Mandibuzz a huge momentum killer, and easy to switch into. U turn is an amazing alternative, allowing Mandibuzz to grab momentum for the team, while also giving free switches into heavy hitters.

Note, these sets don't have to be 100 pct original and creative, no one wants to give away all of their best sets, but whatever you have to offer the community is great, and if it is a set that is simply underrated, even if you didn't create it, feel free to share

Credit to someone for the OP, and that ShootingStarmie for calling me out on my shitty OP

One last thing, and I will probably regret this, if you have a set that you want to share, but don't have access, PM me with the set and description. If I like it, I will post it, with full credit to whoever gave it.

Archive
Mirror Coat Alomomola - Branflakes325
Power Herb SolarBeam Heatran - Cherub Agent
Substitute Landorus - Tomahawk
Memento Latios - Kushalos
Knock Off Landorus - Ash Borer
Rock Polish Weakness Policy Rhyperior - WECAMEASROMANS
Defog Mew - WECAMEASROMANS
Specially Defensive Dragonite - WECAMEASROMANS
Assault Vest Raikou - WECAMEASROMANS
Substitute Dragon Claw Kyurem-B - WECAMEASROMANS
Swords Dance Toxicroak - Sharpteeth
3 Attacks Protect Scolipede - Nog
Taunt Greninja - alexwolf
RestTalk Thunder Wave Gyarados - Punchshroom
Sticky Web Shuckle - Jukain
Grass Knot Bisharp - alexwolf
Chople Berry Excadrill - Agent Gibbs
Low Sweep Bisharp - Imma Fly
ScarfTrick Gothitelle - WECAMEASROMANS
Chople Berry Tyranitar - TaBuu
Magic Coat Magnezone - Knight of Cydonia
Facade Choice Band Azumarill - Scarfed Raptor
4 Attacks Mega Aerodactyl - Jukain
Choice Scarf Diggersby - Jukain
Swords Dance / Spikes Diggersby - Jukain
SubEndeavor Keldeo - Kushalos
Choice Band Kingdra - Rhaegar
Will-O-Wisp Taunt Victini - Monte Cristo
Acrobatics Swords Dance Talonflame - MikeDawg
Double Edge Choice Band Azumarill - Darkerones
Specially Defensive Mega Charizard Y - Valmanway
Taunt Stealth Rock Heatran - Reverb
Nasty Plot Recover Celebi - Jukain
ThunderPunch Drain Punch Mega Medicham - Jukain
3 Attacks Roost Mega Charizard X - Jukain
Substitute Bulk Up Mega Heracross - Clair
Amnesia Quagsire - jpw234
Grass Knot Hidden Power Fire Greninja - Jukain
Toxic Landorus-T - Jukain
Acrobatics Taunt Talonflame - Agent Gibbs
Toxic Hex Gengar - alexwolf
Toxic Excadrill - Vertex
SubPower-Up-Punch Victini - alexwolf
Hidden Power Flying Landorus-T - -Clone-

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen that Deoxys-S set before, but it seems very interesting. Hyper offensive rain is a pretty interesting playstyle in this generation as it is.

time to make way for the shitty gimmick and shameless plug

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk OR 31 Atk
- Toxic/Knock Off/Scald
- Mirror Coat
- Wish
- Protect

Specially defensive Alomomola makes a surprisingly effective mixed wall in the current metagame. It is a decent check to both Mega Zards (assuming toxic for Zard X), and it also serves as a reliable scout, check and/or wish-passing pivot against common threats including but not limited to Aegislash, Landorus-I, Greninja, Rotom-W, Latios/Latias, Talonflame, Mega Venusaur, Landorus-T and Keldeo. Alomomola does a great job bringing back the bulky water role in a way that makes me wonder why anyone has ever used Vaporeon for the same purpose. Regenerator with Wish/Protect is what allows Alomomola to last throughout an entire match if needed, while passing chansey-sized wishes to everything.

Quoted from the RMT featuring Alomomola that I posted a little while back:
Alomomola is my team's special "wall" and a decent check to both Mega Charizard X and Y. Mirror coat is an unexpected move that allows Alomomola to grab KOs against special attackers such as [insert same list of pokemon here]. Rotom-W and volt switchers in particular will often go for Volt Switch assuming Mega Manectric has evolved, which will result in KOing whatever switches in (unless bisharp, tyranitar or mandibuzz). Toxic is necessary for dealing with Charizard X, which will otherwise sweep my team unhindered. I would love to have Knock Off on this set to avoid getting walled by Steel types, but I doubt its worth replacing any moves on this current set. Other than KOing special attackers, Alomomola is the only member of my team with enough special bulk to take on strong threats such as Landorus-I and Aegislash.

With recovery from Leftovers and Protect, Alomomola can switch into Zard Y's Fireblast and KO with Mirror Coat after surviving the following Solar Beam.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 348-410 (65.1 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Of course, I do realize that people might be more aware of Alomomola shenanigans because of this RMT, but it will still be viable and I still have Toxic and Mega Manectric to take down Zard Y in a worst-case scenario.

Note: Threatening to pass a wish to a weakened teammate is an excellent way to lure special attacks and KO with Mirror Coat. Otherwise, it's often risky to reveal Mirror Coat and have it fail. If you wish to try out this set, Knock Off may be a good option in place of Toxic depending on how the rest of your team functions.

To sum things up, Alomomola is a force to be reckoned with against unsuspecting opponents...

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-94376422 (who is this idiot btw?)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-102262443
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-102265761
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-93673366

...as well as suspecting opponents.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-101940257
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-101728472

I recommend giving it a try. As long as you don't let Alomomola become pure setup-bait, it will pull its weight in almost any match.

I would say this thread isn't necessary because it exists in the OU forum, but that thread is so cluttered with posts that blatantly ignore the rules in the OP. For that reason, I still suggest that posting replays involving a creative set should be encouraged, if not required.

Last edited:
Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SAtk / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Basically a really cool partner for flyspam teams. Lack of Lefties recovery often makes people think that Heatran is choice locked, which can be their undoing as they switch in their own Heatran, Rotom-W, Axumarill, Tyranitar w/e into Fire Blast. Talonflame loves these Pokemon lured out and killed (while Heatran isn't doing much to Tyranitar, with some previous damage from Talonflame's U-Turn the kill can be achieved. Luring out Rotom-W is a great feeling, and this Heatran runs enough Speed to outspeed most versions, although more can be taken from HP. Heatran still has its bulk and typing to reliably set up Stealth Rock too.

These posts are great examples guys. As for I being unnecessary, I think that this is a really good thread idea in general. However, that thread is covered with sets that don't exactly answer the op/aren't good, so I think that a victory road thread could be really good and useful.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave / Psychic

Substitute is a pretty cool option for Landorus imo, it has some advantages over Rock Polish and Calm Mind. Like Rock Polish, it allows him to deal with faster threats and land a hit on them (except only once), but it also protects him from priority from stuff like Talonflame and Azumarill, who otherwise take down Landorus quite easily. Another small but notable advantage is racking up Life Orb damage, that extra 10% Latios, etc. takes to break the sub before you attack can secure a KO. Of course, preventing using Earth Power on Latias switchins and the like is appreciated as well. Substitute also helps versus stall, as it allows him to hit slower Pokémon twice, without needing to rely on prediction, as well as allowing him to gain a free turn by setting up on status moves, such as Toxic from Chansey. Substitute also lets you comfortably use Modest nature, which makes Landorus so powerful, it lets him 2HKO stuff like Latias and Specially Defensive Rotom-W and OHKO stuff like Scarf Rotom-W after Stealth Rock. Also, if Focus Blast actually hits twice in a row, it can 2HKO Chansey after Stealth Rock (over 50% of the time, if it switches in on SR twice it is done for).

As for Sludge Wave vs Psychic, I personally use Sludge Wave as it hits Latios and Latias, and that slightly higher base power than Psychic can make a difference sometimes. Psychic is also good, as it hits Landorus-T which otherwise is very annoying. You can also decide to use both and drop Focus Blast but I wouldn't recommend so, the coverage / power to OHKO offensive Rotom-W is great and Substitute helps with the accuracy.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty/Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake/Thunderbolt
- Memento

I've used this set a lot on hyperoffensive Mega Lucario teams and it worked really well for me! Memento Latios isnt very common but it can offer great utility for a team by letting a team member like Mega-Mawile or Azumarill set up as Latios lures in pokemon that could be easily set up on(Tyranitar, Aegislash). I dont know if its still as useful as it used to be because it lost a great partner in Mega Lucario and Defiant is really popular right now, but give it a shot!

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Landorus-I @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Naive
Evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

Sludge wave is cute, it has a little bit more power on neutral targets and beats up on clefable, celebi, or sylveon, but Knock Off is really good filler on all out attaker Lando. It OHKOs LAtios after rocks and lures in Chansey. Really good fourth move. I run it over focus blast on SR sets tbh.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
Kay gonna add a bunch of stuff on here with pretty short, straight to the point descriptions since im on my iphone right now.

rhyperior @ weakness policy
adamant nature
8 hp/ 252 attack/ 4 def/ 244 spe
solid rock
- rock polish
- earthquake
- stone edge
- ice punch

rhyperior is so ridiculously bulky om the physical side that it can easily survive most SE physical attacks: these include your eqs from dragonite and friends, aegi's ironhead/sacred sword, etc. if you get hit by a SE attack, weakness policy gives you +2 attack, and combined with rock polish, its like you have both a SD and a rock polish under your belt. 244 speed with a neutral nature means you outspeed positive base 112's after a rock polish, meaning you can set up on any thundurus lacking focus blast. you rock polish as they hp ice/superpower, they activate your weakness policy, and you sweep. ice punch is there for lando-t and gliscor. this set has been catching popularity among the upper ladder.

mew Leftovers
timid nature
252 hp/148 def/104 speed
sychronize
- will o wisp
- softboiled
- defog
- night shade

this is prolly one of the best defoggers in the current metagame and my personal favorite. it can beat nearly every common stealth rocker besides heatran. 108 speed with a positive nature lets you outspeed max speed dnite and gyarados, so you get to burn them before they attack. you also outspeed bisharp if it comes in on your defog for an attack boost and burn it, and you outspeed max speed mega ttar before a DD. this is mew, so you have so many other options if you feel like replacing them. taunt, sr, heal bell, knock off, etc

dragonite Leftovers
brave nature
216 hp/64 attack/228 spdef
multiscale
- dragon claw
- roost
- fire blast
- extreme speed

Just a slight variation of Crashinboombang's spdef tank dnite. its used mainly as a solid switch in to keldeo, aegislash, charizard y, landorus, among others, and to act as an offensive pivot. its basically a better goodra with recovery. his original moveset had EQ over fire blast with an adamant nature, but i decided on fire blast just cuz i hate being completely walled by skarm, ferro, megamawile, and mega scizor.

raikou @ assault vest
timid nature
4 hp/252 spatk/252 speed
pressure
- volt switch
- thunderbolt
- shadow ball
- hidden power ice

this set has been catching popularity among the upper ranks of the ladder as well. its a great thundurus counter, and can check a myraid of threats like charizard Y, mega pinsir, aegislash, talonflame, rotom-w, gengar, lati@s, and more. its awesome at volt switching and getting momentum. unfortunately it doesnt do much against stall

kyurem-b Leftovers
lonely nature
56 hp/ 216 attack/236 speed
terravolt
- substitute
- dragon claw
- fusion bolt
- ice beam

the standard sub kube is a special attacker with ice beam, earth power, and fusion bolt. Conk and chansey are very problematic. by switching kube to a physical sub attacker with ice beam, it can do much more damage against those 2 while still beating its usual pokes. Conk is 2hkoed by dclaw and chansey is 3hkoed, meaning that you can now outstall her out of softboiled PP. also hax is on your side in the form of crits. fusion bolt with this much investment 3hkoes aegi without lefties, and even with lefties, you can still win with some king shield mindgames. Mega mawile is nearly 2hkoed (assuming no intimidate). rotom-w takes a ton from dclaw and cant do shit back to you

Kyurem-B also gets iron head, which is an option to kill Sylveon and Clef before they can do much to you.

One of the best anti-meta mons right now is Toxicroak. I was looking into checks for Azumarill that fit into hyper offense, and kept going back to Venusaur, who kills any offensive momentum you have, and came up with this.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Which does solid damage to so much.

First off is Toxicroak's speed tier. At 85 speed, you're slower than every one of the "fast" mons, but you still beat Adamant Gyarados, Adamant Dragonite, Adamant Mamoswine, Jolly Breloom, Jolly Mega-Tar as well as every defensive Pokemon up to Mew running 128 speed.

The typing and ability combination means you can switch into quite a lot, mainly the Choice'd Water attacks from Azumarill and Keldeo, but also Crocune, Venusaur, Lando's Rock Attacks.

The set itself is just an all-out 4 move attacker. Come in, pick the best move, use it, repeat till forced out or dead. Here's some calcs.

First off, just for comparison:

252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 161-191 (52.9 - 62.8%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 153-183 (50.3 - 60.1%)

So right off the bat, you have a move stronger than Azumarill's Play Rough (although admittedly, most Azu's would run Choice Band).

Gunk Shot is your best option against almost anything.

252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 152-179 (41.7 - 49.1%) -- Does almost half to the most physically defensive Mega Venu available, any sort of S.Def or Spe investment will get it killed.
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 253-300 (78 - 92.5%) -- KO's after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 265-313 (82 - 96.9%) -- Easily forced out if locked into a water move
252+ Atk Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 450-530 (111.3 - 131.1%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 429-507 (108.8 - 128.6%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 283-338 (71.8 - 85.7%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 218-257 (55.3 - 65.2%) -- You can still win against Clefable even after a Cosmic Power
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 160-188 (39.6 - 46.5%) -- Strategy is to Knock Off, then Drain Punch till you force a Rest. At that point, use Gunk Shot twice, then Drain Punch for the KO. If one of the Gunk Shot misses, use Drain Punch until you force another Rest. Pressure give you only 4 Gunk Shots, leading to some unpleasant hax from the 80% accuracy.
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 169-200 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- a 3HKO after SR.
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 253-300 (61.1 - 72.4%) -- Gunk Shot + Drain Punch to KO.
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 292-344 (96.6 - 113.9%) -- Can't come in.

Gunk Shot also has a 30% chance to poison, so even stuff that otherwise would resist (Lando, Hippowdon) risk getting crippled.

Drain Punch helps offset the damage from LO, and is your best option against Tyranitar and Ferrothorn.

Knock Off deters Aegislash from switching in (although most charge in anyway. Oh well.)

Sucker Punch helps a few revenge kills here and there, mostly against Zard-Y/X.

The main reason to use Toxicroak is as a check to a lot of current threats. It's very hard to fit a check to Belly Drum Azu in an offensive team, to Crocune, to Clefable, to Mega-Venusaur, to Conkeldurr, to Keldeo, to Ferrothorn, to Tyranitar, and to somehow have it fit into a single teamslot. It frees up a teamslot that you can use on different things.

Toxicroak is definetly awesome Calloflochie, but I've far preferred running Swords Dance over Knock Off tbh. Reason is that thanks to that gorgeous typing and ability it's pretty easy to set up, and while Knock Off has its uses (of course) there's this calc: +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 304-359 (93.8 - 110.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock. It won't suffer an Attack drop from Kings Shield since it doesn't actually hit it, and the +2 boost really allows it to crush physically defensive walls like Venusaur and Mandibuzz after Stealth Rock.

really underrated mon for sure

This isn't really my set but I've use this set a decent amount today in a couple of tour matches and I've had pretty good results.

Deoxys-Defense @ Mental Herb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 120 SDef / 96 Spd
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Superpower
- Mirror Coat

This set functions just like the standard lead but with a couple added bonuses. The idea behind the set is to basically beat Aegislash and Bisharp as both are common counter leads to all Deoxys-D. With the given EV spread, you outspeed Adamant Bisharp by 1 point which allows you to OHKO with Superpower. Because no one is going to Sucker Punch a Deoxys-D, this is a matchup that you will always win barring the random Jolly Bisharp. The rest of the EVs are invested in bulk to take a Life Orb or Spooky Plate Shadow Ball from Aegislash and OHKO with a Mirror Coat.

I should mention that this set doesn't beat Aegislash if its the Subsitute variants as Mirror Coat doesn't go through subs.

A set that is getting fairly popular among high level players is offensive Scolipede.

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

This set goes to show that Scolipede can do more than just baton pass boosts to his teammates. Megahorn and Poison Jab are the preferred STABs as they hit the hardest and do solid damage to a number of common switch ins. Earthquake is for coverage against things like Terrakion and Heatran. Another reason this set is great is the unpredictability. Most people assume that when they see a Scolipede he will be baton passing speed and attack boosts to teammates for an easy sweep. To their demise they find out you are offensive with a Life Orb and kill the Pokemon you sent in to Taunt it. Lastly Bug / Poison typing is solid in today's meta game and is a hard combination to come by.

EDIT: Reserved for replay :o

Last edited:
Fuck u nog I'm the one who uses that set all the time:)
anyways, good job so far guys, also feel free to critique others sets, for example, while subject 18's deo set is rle cool, it is also setup fodder for literally anything, due to lack of taunt/twave.
One more thing, please try to post at least one replay of the set putting in work. If the set is as good as you say, it shouldn't be that hard to find

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Taunt

Taunt is there to shut down Chansey, allowing Greninja to wreck stall teams all by itself. Taunt also makes sure that threatening set up sweepers don't get a chance to set up, such as Mega Gyarados, bulky Mega Charizard X, Suicune, and Azumarill, which is invaluable for offensive teams. Basically, Taunt helps a lot against both offensive and defensive teams, and thus makes an excellent choice for Greninja's last slot.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Taunt

Taunt is there to shut down Chansey, allowing Greninja to wreck stall teams all by itself. Taunt also makes sure that threatening set up sweepers don't get a chance to set up, such as Mega Gyarados, bulky Mega Charizard X, Suicune, and Azumarill, which is invaluable for offensive teams. Basically, Taunt helps a lot against both offensive and defensive teams, and thus makes an excellent choice for Greninja's last slot.
Taunt for Chansey? It still Seismic Tosses taking out half of its HP, and Greninja isn't breaking it easily still. Most of that stuff you mentioned is just smacked by HP Grass anyways, and Charizard X can be smacked hard by Hydro Pump, then finished with something else. Plus, one wrong prediction equates in a dead Greninja. Sounds like a dead weight move usually because it's too risky vs offensive threats and you'd rather have the coverage.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Taunt for Chansey? It still Seismic Tosses taking out half of its HP, and Greninja isn't breaking it easily still. Most of that stuff you mentioned is just smacked by HP Grass anyways, and Charizard X can be smacked hard by Hydro Pump, then finished with something else. Plus, one wrong prediction equates in a dead Greninja. Sounds like a dead weight move usually because it's too risky vs offensive threats and you'd rather have the coverage.
You use Taunt after Chansey switches into Greninja, where Chansey will typically try to heal or set up Stealth Rock. With SR damage, Chansey will have lost ~30% of its life, and you can simply go to a physical attacker after Chansey has been Taunted. Next time Chansey comes in, Greninja will be able to 2HKO-3HKO. Being able to beat entire defesnives cores on your own has a lot of merit, especially on a Pokemon that already has tons of usefulness against offensive teams thanks to great coverage and Speed. As for HP Grass, it does ~57% to Mega Gyarados, meaning it can still set up and wreck your offensive team if you lack a priority user that can deal enough damage, which is not that hard, as Mega Gyarados resists a lot of common priority moves, such as Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, and Aqua Jet. In general, not all teams can afford the neccesary means to deal with those set up sweepers once they set up, so being able to prevent them from setting up in dire situations can be very useful.

That sounds insanely situational and more often than not unreliable. I will agree with jukain here that "beating" Chansey isn't worth the taunt slot. Taunt is better on other Pokemon that can reliably beat Chansey without SR damage and the pressure of a teammate like Terrakion who can taunt and provide pressure to Chansey just by being there.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gyarados always has that sexy defensive typing which it can use to take on threats like Keldeo, Conkeldurr, and Excadrill, so it can go for a more defensive role in RestTalk for longevity. Never mind that it is one of the better responses to both Mega Charizards in the tier, thanks largely in part to Thunder Wave, which handily neuters them both. Thunder Wave is such a nice move on Gyara since it cripples the offensive threats that Gyarados walls (which can increases the chances of Gyara waking up to RestTalk again), but also because its Water STAB nails Ground-types hard, as well as Thundy-I, leaving Garchomp and Rotom-W as the some of the only Thunder Wave switch-ins that can actually do something to Gyara. The EVs are tweakable, btw.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Shuckle (F) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Infestation
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Stealth Rock

Shuckle is an underrated threat in this meta. Most people don't bat it an eye when they see the lack of offensive presence and low Speed -- which are certainly drawbacks -- but you're missing out on a strong Sticky Web user if you don't look further. Shuckle is one of two Sticky Web users (the other being Smeargle) that has access to dual hazards, giving it an immediate draw, and has immense bulk that actually lets it get off both hazards very often, unlike Smeargle which is a lot easier to stop. It is also afforded the ability to run a Mental Herb due to being pretty much impossible to OHKO and Sturdy, preventing Taunt from messing with it. You can Encore the Taunt and use the other Pokemon as fodder for whatever you want to do -- an easy free switch -- or just get up the one hazard. Encore also prevents setup in general, which is a crucial flaw of Galvantula mostly, and makes setting up much easier for Shuckle/teammates. Infestation traps the opposing Pokemon in, allowing you to Encore without it having the opportunity to switch out, and is generally useful to grant free switch-ins for your stuff should you get the opportunity. Another plus of Shuckle's enormous bulk is that it can actually switch in throughout the match to get up hazards given the opportunity/do so twice. Overall, it's probably the best Sticky Web user I've used; if paired with the right teammates to take advantage of it, it can be really powerful in a match.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Grass Knot

This set's purpose is to destroy stall. Grass Knot has the sole use of 2HKOing Quagsire in conjuction with Knock Off (44.5% min + 72.5% min), making sure that there is no obstacle to Bisharp if it switches into Defog, unless the opponent has Mega Scizor with Superpower. Grass Knot can also come handy against physically defensive Hippowdon, having more than a 50% chance to 2HKO it with SR up.

Excadrill @ Chople Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin

Okay, so this just looks like an ordinary Excadrill with a Chople Berry, and that's because it is an ordinary Excadrill with a Chople Berry! I originally designed this set because, quite honestly, I suck at prediction sometimes. One day I'll go for the Rapid Spin and have a Gengar or BalloonSlash switch in and shut me down, and the next I'll go for the Earthquake/Iron Head predicting the switch and instead have something like Hippowdon switch in and waste my opportunity to spin. It's a guessing game that I too often lose. I like the Chople Berry because it allows me to play much more recklessly with Rapid Spin. If Gengar switches in, Excadrill can easily take the Focus Blast and KO back with Earthquake. Meanwhile, BalloonSlash will fall to Iron Head + Earthquake while its own Sacred Sword + Shadow Sneak will fail to KO without a good bit of prior damage. As long as I play carefully, this makes Excadrill far harder to spinblock by the two most common Ghosts in the metagame, so this set is usually my go-to Rapid Spinner for offensive teams with Pinsir or Charizard or something that really need Stealth Rock gone but don't want to lose their own hazards. Keep in mind that this idea originated as a handicap for my mediocre skills as a player, so it may not be necessary for a more seasoned player, but it does have some use as a lure outside of the spinblockers. For instance, a Thundurus that thought it could guarantee a OHKO with Focus Blast suddenly has its attack do only 58% max and finds itself on the wrong end of a Rock Slide, while a Terrakion without a boosting item will fail to OHKO with Close Combat even after Stealth Rock and will instead be OHKOed itself by Earthquake. I've also fooled around with a few different EV spreads, mainly running a little less speed and investing those EVs in the defenses to take hits a little better. I think the lowest I'd go is enough to outpace Adamant Dragonite so I can hit it with Rock Slide before it can hit me back with Earthquake, a benchmark which requires 192 Spe EVs and leaves 64 to place elsewhere.

Imma Fly

Who needs wings when you have Rokushiki?
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Low Sweep

Despite Bisharp's hard hitting capabilities in general, there are times where it is turned into setup-fodder by setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Charizard-X (with roost) or DD Mega-Gyarados, where Knock Off just does not do enough damage and Iron Head is not effective. Low Sweep over here is kind of like a sacrificial move for Bisharp: To sacrifice itself in order to prevent the opposing poke from being able to conduct a sweep. I find this set useful especially at times where there are no space for hazers on the team (notably Quagsire), or when the opponent carries Mega Gyarados which bypasses Unaware walls (Quagsire, Clefable) due to Mold Breaker, both scenarios that would otherwise force a sacrifice of either a Focus Sash user with crippling moves such as Thunder Wave, or Prankster T-Wave users such as Thundurus or Klefki to prevent being swept (unless Ditto is used).

Edit: OHKing another Bisharp is also another side benefit as well, forgot to put that until Ash Borer brought it up.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Imma Fly Bisharp actually has Thunder WAve itself, which could be better, though Low Sweep is interesting as it has the ability to let your Bisharp as a counter to most other Bisharp.

Imma Fly

Who needs wings when you have Rokushiki?
Imma Fly Bisharp actually has Thunder WAve itself, which could be better, though Low Sweep is interesting as it has the ability to let your Bisharp as a counter to most other Bisharp.
I personally would prefer Low Sweep since I view it as being more versatile. Being able to knock out another Bisharp in one hit and deprive the opponent of his nuker is something that comes in handy as well in addition to stopping setup sweepers. Though naturally, I guess for stopping setup sweepers T-Wave would be better.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
So recently theres been a new set going around the top ladderers used to destroy stall teams and a vast number of defensive mons. i know Daaauudee Sandstorm uses it, and Kaz777, and it has been extremely effective, particulary against me, cuz i mostly use stall myself. Its a Gothitelle set, and it literally makes me wanna pull my hair everytime i face it.

Gothitelle @ choice scarf
ability: shadow tag
252 hp (not entirely sure about EVs and nature, i just know its max HP)
- trick
- taunt
- psyshock
- rest

with this set, your job is to switch into any desired wall (chansey, quagsire, skarmory, etc). shadow tag ensures that they cannot switch out. first, you trick them a scarf, locking them into one move. if they used an attack move, it will do pitiful damage, since they're a wall, and then you can use rest and PP stall them out of that attack, forcing them to struggle sooner or later. if they used a support or healing move, you simpy taunt them next turn, which makes them struggle also. oh and the best part is, right before the last turn they die to struggle damage, you can trick again so you get your scarf back, and do the same exact thing again to another wall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)