Metagame NP: RU Stage -1: Message to Oglemi, Nails, and Honko (VENOMOTH STOLEN FROM US))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you ask me, Yanmega may be great, but that doesn't mean it is "Too powerful for RU" great. I use it and while I do manage to sweep full teams with it, It does have its downsides. It is slower than Raiku and easily OHKO'd by thunderbolt. It can't OHKO Kyurem with bug buzz and gets OHKO'd back. Those may be very strong opponents, but basically if it can't OHKO the opposing pokemon, usually it gets taken out or at least severely crippled in return.
I know it isnt too broken, but my point wasnt saying it is an amzing sweeper (speed boost set is good) but that it is an immense wall breaker. It can 2hko nearly every relevant wall and can outspeed all of them. This set is not used enough, all i see are speed boosts

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
On the subject of late-game win-cons for stall teams, I want to bring up something that started to really gain traction late in BW:

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SAtk
Nature: Bold
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Fire Blast / Psyshock
- Slack Off​

Defensive CM Slowking is a cool win-con for stall teams. The Knock Off buff hurts it a bit, but Slowking is able to take on quite a few threats early and mid-game and can use Calm Mind when the opportunity arises to end the game. Scald is the chosen STAB move as the burn chance it has can be incredibly useful later on in the game. Fire Blast is for Escavalier, Registeel, and other Steel-types. However, if you want a better chance against other CM users as well as special walls. Psyshock also allows Slowking to more easily check Fighting-types early on. Slack Off keeps Slowking in good health so it can continue to check threats early on so it can be healthy to sweep late-game.
I tried out this set and I liked it somewhat, but you lose to every other Calm Minder, AKA everybody else's win condition. CM Slowking loses to subCM Cress and CM Reuniclus, both of which can avoid Toxic, unlike Slowking. Slowking functions much better as a pivot in this meta, as most teams have more than enough answers against Slowking CMing its way to victory.

Quick question: How many Speed EVs should Hitmonlee be running? Like, what are enough to outspeed ____ after Unburden? And where should the EVs be allocated?

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Quick question: How many Speed EVs should Hitmonlee be running? Like, what are enough to outspeed ____ after Unburden? And where should the EVs be allocated?
232 Speed EVs, or 136 with a Speed-boosting Nature, outspeed Jolly Slurpuff at +2, likely the fastest threat you'll encounter. However, it is fairly uncommon, so Shaymin :D's 152 Speed EVs should suffice.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
232 Speed EVs, or 136 with a Speed-boosting Nature, outspeed Jolly Slurpuff at +2, likely the fastest threat you'll encounter. However, it is fairly uncommon, so Shaymin :D's 152 Speed EVs should suffice.
You can't really even touch Slurpuff with Hitmonlee (unless poison jab or smth) so it's irrelevant. The absolute fastest relevant Pokemon available in RU is Scarf Raikou/Azelf (lel not including ninjask), which are kind of a stretch to outspeed, but I think your EV spread should handle them just fine, too lazy to calc it myself.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I honestly don't see much use in trying to invest in Lee's bulk considering how frail it is in the first place. Adamant is obviously the nature of choice on any Unburden set, but outside of that, I think a simple 252/252 spread would be best and most effective. Anyways, another replay I wanted to post is this one that I had against The Leprechaun earlier today:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-108580217 - This was a pretty tight match throughout and is a classic case of having an alternate plan to win the match. Immediately, when I saw his team, I realized that Raikou could do some serious damage if I could get rid of Rhyperior. However, as I observed the match in the early stages, it was pretty clear that Leprechaun recognized this and was choosing to keep Rhyperior alive at all costs, and his Scarf Braviary ensured that I would need one of Cresselia or Milotic around to keep it in check. Crucial Sleep Powder miss early on ends up mattering later on as Milotic proves to be the secondary win-con I find as the match progresses. After confirming that his Raikou was AV instead of Specs, I know Milotic can, at worst, check everything on his team, thus making it a priority to keep healthy in case of a jam. Unfortunately, his Delphox got haxed quite a bit between paralysis and a +1 Fire Blast miss. However, this didn't matter a ton considering I could have just used Haze on Milo as soon as Cress went down. During the late-game, it was all about keeping Milotic healthy, which is fairly easy to do at this point with his Raikou on a timer from a Scald burn earlier in the match. In the end, Milotic contributed to the finish of all of his Pokemon in one way or another (beat Rhyperior and Braviary alone and did some pretty decent damage to Raikou and Tangrowth) and was the last one standing at the end.
Things that could have gone differently:

1. Obviously, the early-game Sleep Powder miss was huge, considering Milotic ended up being a major thorn in Leprechaun's side throughout the battle.
2. Had I stayed in on Defog with Milotic earlier on, the Competitive boost would have quickened the game a fair bit as he had nothing to outright OHKO Milotic (though Kou would have easily 2HKOed).
3. Parahax and Fire Blast miss didn't fully matter, but it may have denied me the ability to keep Milotic in such good health as the late-game approached
May be a couple of more things (feel free to chime in with your thinking if you wish Lep) but I felt this was a really neat battle to share, in spite of some of the hax and minor misplays.

Here's why you pack priority lol
Hitmonlee is a very scary Pokemon if you lack Priority, and please don't use that crappy Normal Gem + Fake Out set, it is nowhere near as good as Endure + Reversal after priority is removed. Seriously, just remove any Pokemon that may carry Priority, then try to activate Liechi Berry, Hitmonlee is frail enough anyways.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Here's why you pack priority lol
Hitmonlee is a very scary Pokemon if you lack Priority, and please don't use that crappy Normal Gem + Fake Out set, it is nowhere near as good as Endure + Reversal after priority is removed. Seriously, just remove any Pokemon that may carry Priority, then try to activate Liechi Berry, Hitmonlee is frail enough anyways.
You actually need to pack more than just priority to take care of Endure Reversal Hitmonlee, as the endure reversal set should definitely be running mach punch, so this means your priority user better resist Mach Punch, or be at relatively high health. As shown in your replay though, the priority used cannot be Sucker Punch, as you can spam endure and it turns into a mind game for both users (also sucker punch will likely be outsped by mach punch if you carry it). The best way to deal with this Hitmonlee is physically defensive Aromatisse, but if your opponent had not sacked Weezing or had kept Alomomola at 100% health, those are also capable of taking any hit thrown out by +1 Reversal Lee.

TL;DR: Hitmonlee is very good with a endure Reversal, as most offensive teams struggle to find good responses to Hitmonlee. Defensive teams have options like Aromatisse / Weezing / Alomomola (this one is kinda shaky) to respond to Hitmonlee, Abomasnow is also a problem, because although it can pick it off with Mach Punch before the Ice Shard, it will still die from hail recoil.

BEST SHELLSMASHER IN RU:

Wide Lens Barbacle is the love child of I-shall-die-young Life Orb Barbacle and I-have-bulk?-White Herb Barbacle. As the fastest shell smasher in RU, after extensive hax ingame (yes I use that against Talonflames in Wi-Fi, too) and liking the wonderful move Cross Chop, I shall say that this thing rocks in RU.

Barbaracle @ Wide Lens
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Cross Chop

• +2 252+ Atk Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Druddigon: 337-397 (94.1 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 258-304 (65.4 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 4 SpA Milotic Scald vs. -1 4 HP / 0 SpD Barbaracle: 148-175 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Milotic: 342-403 (103.3 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 297-349 (86.3 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Cross Chop vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 598-704 (148 - 174.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Azelf Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Barbaracle: 162-192 (56.6 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azelf: 414-487 (142.2 - 167.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kabutops: 297-349 (113.3 - 133.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Aqua Jet vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 114-136 (39.8 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
I can post more calcs, but I hope you get the idea that this thing has - in my honest opinion - not enough bulk to use Life Orb, as it will die after it used 3 attacks. White Herb seems like a good choice, but Barbacle has inaccurate moves, with Wide Lens however, Cross Chop and Stone Edge gets boosted to respectable 88%,
Razor Shell hits always
and this WILL be the move you use mostlikely.

This thing alongside my healing wish MESPRIT have won me some games. If I hadn't forgot to save the replays though I'm clumsy T_T

Edit: Before I forget it: Abomamega is sooo cool in this meta. It is a brute anti trick room force in the game. Plus Ice Shard ;) I mean it 2HKO Cofagrigus with Blizzspam

Last edited:
No offense, but your opponent wasn't very good, and you didn't switch very much...

also, why do people ask: i hope you don't mind? they don't own the Pokemon...
True he played too linear, but Exca handles most of his poke anyways. Also Im from a yugioh community, so I'm used to give credit to peoples ideas.

Capitan Bravo: Spread the love! I mean you can naturally use it as you wish, but the important thing is: Share experience with it! Does it actually suck for you? Is Life Orb a better option in the end? Is Cross Chop the new Stone Miss? Is Stone Miss the new Focus Miss? Are their better couverage options in RU?

And this replay reminds me of one thing: I need to run a good Fire Type in RU.

Yay Yu-Gi-Oh!

Also:
No offense, but your opponent wasn't very good, and you didn't switch very much...

also, why do people ask: i hope you don't mind? they don't own the Pokemon...
People being kind, that's such a bad thing. Oh wait I forgot.
Smogon University.

That picture just showed me that Barbaracles eye is actually a crystal or something, which is going to be awkward next time I see one.

Anyway this tier is overcentralized af and I will be abusing everything broken until the last second, as will everyone else. Go MAboma Kyurem Reuniclus physical sweeper + 2 walls, break the meta.

Capitan Bravo: Spread the love! I mean you can naturally use it as you wish, but the important thing is: Share experience with it! Does it actually suck for you? Is Life Orb a better option in the end? Is Cross Chop the new Stone Miss? Is Stone Miss the new Focus Miss? Are their better couverage options in RU?

Yay Yu-Gi-Oh!

Also:

People being kind, that's such a bad thing. Oh wait I forgot.
Smogon University.
If you need a fire type, I suggest either Delphox or Moltress. I've used both and they have both done great.

Yay Yu-Gi-Oh!

Smogon University.
Honestly I havent tested or rather say I havent Shell Smash with him yet, but I feel Life orb wouldnt help out sine he has good coverage. Well theres Moltres, Emboar and Delphox for "good" Fire types. I miss Darmanitan

Eelektross (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Brave Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch

Would you like an answer to Raikou? How about Azelf? Or something that deals with Rhyperior and Gastrodon? How about severely damages Escavalier? What about dealing with Tornadus? A decent answer to bulky waters such as Alomomomomomola and Milotic? Still no? What about a really good pivot with a slow Volt Switch and pseudo-recovery? And guess what you have to pay. One moveslot. Only one moveslot. Hurry and get your own Eelektross, as this deal is too good to pass up.

Assault Vest Eelektross is just a really underrated pivot that works really well. Just to prove my point, I'll just leave some calcs here:

252+ SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 59-70 (15.7 - 18.7%) -- possible 6HKO

+6 252+ SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 237-279 (63.3 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Eelektross Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 136-160 (42.2 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Azelf Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 115-136 (30.7 - 36.3%) -- 58.2% chance to 3HKO

+2 252 SpA Azelf Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 229-271 (61.2 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Eelektross Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azelf: 192-226 (65.9 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Delphox Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 132-156 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252 SpA Delphox Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 262-310 (70 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Eelektross Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Delphox: 280-330 (95.8 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Moltres Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 141-166 (37.7 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

4 SpA Eelektross Volt Switch vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Moltres: 182-216 (56.5 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 165-195 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Eelektross Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Reuniclus: 272-320 (64.1 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

220+ SpA Choice Specs Black Guy Nigga Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 190-225 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Holy fuck so much bulk

Yeah, Eelektross is really bulky. Trust me, when you take a +2 Delphox's Fire Blast (Note: Powerful AF) AND have a really good chance to KO it, you are pretty a really, REALLY good tank.

Volt Switch is the crux of the set, being able to deal decent damage to most non-resists and gain nice momentum, which can bring in a good answer to the switch-in or a powerful offensive monster. Oh no! Has a Ground type switched in? Well, this is where the surprise move comes in, Giga Drain. Rhyperior and Gastrodon both take a huge amount of damage from it, when they think they can switch in for free. Giga Drain also has very good utility, giving Eelektross good recovery, which is always nice on an AVer. Knock Off is always nice, dealing good damage, and lets Eelektross be a really good answer to Azelf and Psychic types in general. Fire Punch is filler, but it hits Esca really hard, letting Eelek beat another huge threat in a threat-filled meta.

Seriously, just look at the calcs and see how much of a beating Eelektross can take. It's good, and I would reccomend this on most balance/HO teams that need an answer to the meta's biggest threats. Have Fun :D

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hiddenfreezer , another option for Barbaracle would be a Lum Berry. With this, you pretty much shit in the face of Sableye, a common speed bump / roadblock for physical attackers. Recover from Will-O-Wisp instantly in time to ruin its life with a +2 Tough Claws STAB-boosted Razor Shell. Then proceed to finish off the rest of the team. Also, I've used Moltres and Delphox with good success. Moltres in particular is a great response to Escavalier as it 4x resists Megahorn, is immune to Drill Run, and a resistance to Iron Head. Fire Blast is going to fuck up any Escavalier every day of the week.

Chesnaught , yeah, no doubt that Endure + Reversal Lee is pretty damn threatening. So long as you keep hazards off of the field, it is going to be doing serious work. I would suggest removing Aboma, Cress, and Cofag before sweeping. While Cress only needs to be weakened, Aboma and Cofag need to be removed, or else their abilities will end your sweep in all likelihood. (Snow Warning kills you and Mummy removes the Unburden boost)

Shaymin :D , I am surprised I haven't thought of using Eelektross yet tbh. And for those not liking Giga Drain (why would you not like it?) there's Drain Punch. Overall, Eel can tank a ton of shit, hit back decently hard, and be a really cool mon in general. Only thing I may want to do with it is U-turn over Volt Switch so Ground-types can't completely stop your momentum (though you could kill them off with Giga Drain I guess) Also, Dugtrio ain't doin shit to it. Unlike AV Raikou, Tornadus can't just U-turn out and resort to Dugtrio to remove this check / counter. Really need to try this thing out soon.

I like the idea of Lum Berry, because this allows me to setup on thunder waves and deal with sableye:

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 267-315 (87.8 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
And I'm pretty sure most don't run complete physical bulk as a spread, but with Lum it isn't a real threat anyways
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws burned Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 133-157 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Lum Berry seems like a fine choice.

And Eelektross and Assault Vest is also something I need to try out in RU, basically because a) I searched an AV user anways b)It deals with Raikou...and Milotic. Yep that thing is cool beans

I like the idea of Lum Berry, because this allows me to setup on thunder waves and deal with sableye:

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 267-315 (87.8 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
And I'm pretty sure most don't run complete physical bulk as a spread, but with Lum it isn't a real threat anyways
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws burned Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 133-157 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Lum Berry seems like a fine choice.

And Eelektross and Assault Vest is also something I need to try out in RU, basically because a) I searched an AV user anways b)It deals with Raikou...and Milotic. Yep that thing is cool beans
But if it's on 1 vs 1 u get WOW next turn, allow me demonstrate

1st turn,
Sableye uses willowisp, lum berry takes care of it while Bar shell smashes.

2nd turn,
Sableye uses WOW again, and Bar gets burned. Dealing 40~50 % would mean that it can live one hit(possibly) and hit it with a foul play or just keep on recovering.

Not a sturdy block, but just say'n that it could work

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
But if it's on 1 vs 1 u get WOW next turn, allow me demonstrate

1st turn,
Sableye uses willowisp, lum berry takes care of it while Bar shell smashes.

2nd turn,
Sableye uses WOW again, and Bar gets burned. Dealing 40~50 % would mean that it can live one hit(possibly) and hit it with a foul play or just keep on recovering.

Not a sturdy block, but just say'n that it could work
Uh the thing is Sableye switches in AFTER or during your shell smash. WHy the hell would you smash in front of a sableye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)