Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Sceptile's probably gonna be in if I had to guess for the grass starter. It's probably easier to program a bipedal fighter than someone who's on all fours.

I'm fine with that, Sceptile's pretty cool.

╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Charizard ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no Pokemon Trainer ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Double post, but new content and I'm a mod so whatever

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqF39hrz3w

Today's pic of the day came with an extra picture and comment on Miiverse

So it looks like the move he used in the trailer, vs the Wii Fit Trainer was in fact his Side B in the forum of Shadow Sneak. From what I'm reading, it seems very similar to Meta Knight's dimensional cape, and from the trailer footage, it looks like he too can move in multiple directions with the attack. That leaves Substitute as his Down B, Water Shuriken as his Neutral B, and the Aqua Jet / Hydro Pump recovery move as his obvious Up B.

_Tonks_

Double post, but new content and I'm a mod so whatever

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqF39hrz3w

Today's pic of the day came with an extra picture and comment on Miiverse

So it looks like the move he used in the trailer, vs the Wii Fit Trainer was in fact his Side B in the forum of Shadow Sneak. From what I'm reading, it seems very similar to Meta Knight's dimensional cape, and from the trailer footage, it looks like he too can move in multiple directions with the attack. That leaves Substitute as his Down B, Water Shuriken as his Neutral B, and the Aqua Jet / Hydro Pump recovery move as his obvious Up B.
" I'm a mod so whatever " That logic, for the win.

Anyways, We talk about this every day in the Video Game room on Showdown. Can't really say I'm excited for it, mainly because it doesn't look two different from Brawl and I'd personally like to get my hands on a demo or at least seem more game play and diverse footage.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
im honestly not sure what you expected _Tonks_

they took a game on an outdated system (Wii), and updated the franchise via:

a: adding new characters (that people asked for) in little mac megaman charizard greninja rosalina and others to come im sure

b: releasing it for consoles that are far more relevant and portable (now it's so much easier to have ssb parties)

c: removed several things that were the bane of players in brawl (tripping says hello)

d: added several things that people wanted (ssb4's online fights are looking to be the best thing that may have ever happened to the series)

did you want them to completely reinvent the series and make it into a top down shooter free-world?

of course it's going to be similar to brawl and melee, it's the same franchise

"guys im not too hyped for xy, it seems too similar to bw(2) and ill make an actual decision if i can get a demo or see some real game footage instead of this rollerskating and pokeriding stuff"

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Ugh I honestly don't like the route that Super Smash Bros. 4 is taking right now. It seems to be ignoring it's roots and going as modern as possible. Rosalina? Like 2 games not counting spin offs, and 5 counting them. Much more prominent characters that were heavily requested would be Toad and Bowser Jr., but obviously Mario Galaxy 3 will be coming out soonish and Nintendo wants to boost their sales. And Sakurai wants more women. Wii Fit Trainers? Well this one is more understandable actually, because the "Mii" series is the 4th best selling series Nintendo has to date, and it probably could have done with some kind of representation (for reference the Mii series are games like the Wii Sports series, Wii Fit (obviously) and Wii Play) but then again, it would have many sales seeing the amount of branches the Mii series encompasses. And obviously the series only started up in 2007. I also heavily disagree with Greninja and Mega-Lucario. Generation 6 starters are hardly worth representation already. I was fine with it in brawl because Lucario was very much the series' mascot at the time and had lots of merchandise everywhere, and its own movie! Greninja is just one of the starters, who doesn't have a lot of merchandise and isn't even overly popular. The saddest thing is that I will probably use the guy all the bloody time because I love ninja fighting styles ;_;.

I also feel like these games are prone to serious series over-representation, namely Kid Icarus. I know that Sakurai made Kid Icarus: Uprising and he probably wants to promote his game as much as possible, but it's over a year old now iirc, and is not worth the amount that it does in this game. For example, I think 5 or 6 of the enemies you can find in Battle Rush mode are from Kid Icarus. Even the chests are from Kid Icarus! Pit was the very first character announced, and clearly Palutena is coming in as well seeing as they changed Pit's Final Smash and that whole Trophy Quiz thing in the Nintendo Direct. Kid Icarus getting 2 characters when the F-Zero and Yoshi series are almost definitely sticking to 1 is not OK seeing as they were in the first game (Smash 64) yet have still only one character today. Samurai Goroh is an assist trophy, and that was F-Zero's best shot as far as most of the smash community were concerned. There is still hope for the Yoshi series, but the poor dinosaur was announced so late I see little chance left for his series to be honest.

Also, as much as I hate to admit it, I feel as if Pokémon is entering over-representation territory. The amount of Poké Ball Pokémon and now Master Balls, along with 5 (subject to change) representatives (only 4 confirmed but Jigglypuff will be back, I bet you anything) means that it has around the same representation as Mario itself, if not more, and Mario is mainly enemies in things like Adventure Mode and Smash Run. And individually as a stage, and as mentioned earlier, Pokémon X and Y have way too much representation. This game is supposed to represent all of Nintendo's all time most popular and famous franchises and characters, but Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja just cut too far away from it's roots in my honest opinion.

But Zero Suit Samus and Sheik being separate (finally) is fantastic news. And Charizard being separate is good I guess, but Ivysaur and Squirtle aren't there with him so it's pointless seeing as Charizard was the worst one out of all of them :mad:

_Tonks_

In all fairness, if you look at how much the game changed from 64 to Melee, and Melee to Brawl, this seems kinda underwhelming in its current form.
Exactly dude. They aren't showing enough for me to be really interested.

Celever

i am town
No that's a good idea actually, but let's think about how many major features Brawl re-used from melee which were new features there:
  • Retro Stages
  • Events
  • An "Adventure Mode" with subspace armies etc.
  • A bunch of items and characters
  • Types of stages (i.e moving stages)
  • Trophies
  • Classic Mode
  • Stock Battles
If memory serves all of these are correct, and there is almost definitely more. Now, what's new?
  • Floaty battle environment
  • A bunch of items and characters and stages
  • Stickers (lol who collects these seriously?)
  • Online Mode (Gamecube couldn't do this is so it barely counts imo)
  • Coin Battles (which sucks so bad Oh My God)
The only real noticeable difference for casual players especially would be the floatier and somewhat slower battles, and maybe online mode. Like really, this game is different to Brawl in more ways than this (already the For Fun / For Glory is genius, as is Smash Run) so even though it has flaws that's hardly a good argument lol.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i really cant even understand the argument celever is making. He says smash is "losing its roots" but spends the entire time just bitching about character representation. literally his entire post is character representation concerns, which have absolutely nothing to do with the real important parts of smash, i.e. punching things. that said, time to address his post:

actually fuck it, the entire post is just

17:11 Pwnemon: IF YOU PUT A CHARACTER IN YOUR GAME
17:11 Pwnemon: THAT CAME OUT AFTER 2000
17:11 Pwnemon: YOU ARE OFFICIALLY SHIT

As to the less retarded concerns from less retarded users, such as tonks and runic:

The gameplay seems to be improved from Brawl in many ways. For one, falling speeds are closer to their Melee levels, which will make the game a lot more frenetic and thus enjoyable than the pretty slow-paced Brawl. For two, random tripping was removed. Third, it seems like they put effort into making a truly interesting and diverse set of fighters for this lineup, and a lot of the new ones (little mac, rosalina, greninja) have super interesting styles that i'm bursting at the seams to try out. Though obviously we're going to end up with stronger and weaker characters, it appears that a lot more thought was put into balance than was with Brawl. also there's an interesting diversion in Smash Run which, if it's as successful in Smash as it is in racing, will be fucking sweet. Overall, I'm very pumped for this game—let's be honest, all it takes to make a great smash is some new fighters, prettier graphics, and better mechanics right?

_Tonks_

Until they start talking about features and actual game play, I'm not interested, lol.

Don't really care who's in it or what stages are, I want to KNOW that it's not just an updated Brawl.

Last edited by a moderator:
They've talked about a whole host of new features already. Custom move sets, Kirby Air Ride mode, Cross platform play, No items Fox Only Final Destination mode and to some extent just the ability to have Smash on the go are pretty neat innovations. Admittedly, it hasn't quite added up to the big "next step" that makes a big generational boundary cross like we've seen with every game since, but of what we've seen, I'm fairly sure we've not seen the whole package and that a good amount of other neat features are yet to be unveiled.

Celever, those two posts are bad. I don't even know what you're trying to say in your first post or how selecting more recent characters goes against the series roots (the series roots being "represent as much of Nintendo as possible and get them to fight eachother") Only three of the newcomers are younger than melee and you're getting some very retro representatives with Mega Man and Little Mac. In your second, on top of making weird accreditations like classic mode to ssbm and coin battles to ssbb, you are short changing brawl's additions like mad, downplaying the new additions and outright not listing a ton.

Celever

i am town
Don't really care who's in it or what stages are, I want to KNOW that it's not just an updated Brawl.
But melee is just an updated smash 64, and brawl is just an updated melee...

TheMantyke I did that from memory and then checked and added some more important things (and said the same thing in my post iirc) to show what actually resonates with a player of smash bros.. Even if Brawl introduced a hell of a lot more, they are much more minor and therefore not worth listing. Also seeing how these recent-game newcomers really didn't need to be in here as they are not major characters at all, it seems to much more be advertising. Pikmin and Animal Crossing are major series, so I am happy with Olimar and Villager, however things like Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja just shouldn't be in the games yet.
Also Little Mac is probably only in because Punch Out!! was ported to the wii. Not saying he would have been excluded otherwise, but the game certainky helped his chances imo. Which is wrong, because the point of the retro characters was to bring back nintendo's all time greats, not to have them brout back and then add em to smash bros. for good measure.

That or the fact that a boxer is pretty much the easiest character ever to put in a fighting game and he had enough popularity to justify it.

Smash4 was made to sell WiiUs. The game was announced when the Wii U was, and production began after the announcement with a huge ass team to make sure that it came out as quickly as possible.
"But there's a 3Ds version too, and"
and I'm sure they regretted that once they saw the Wii U sales numbers come in. I'm confident the only reason that did it to begin with was for more 3DS WiiU connection.

Smash is a console seller. A huge massive fanservice that caters a bit to retro fans and a lot to what popular right now to ensure that relevant customers are interested. They don't care about representing their series properly because they have 6 mario characters and 5 pokemon characters (Let's be real, Yoshi had one good game. He's always been a supporting Mario character.) Or rather, they can't care too much or they'll miss out on important opportunities. Rosalina's kind of in right now, and in case nobody was playing showdown in early X/Y Greninja is QUITE popular. Actually, so long as we are on a Pokemon forum let's remember how popular the whole franchise is, especially just coming off the heels of X and Y. There's also the consideration of what's popular in japan.

Sakurai's probably going to work on another Kid Icarus game in the future. We know he wants to, and I think Smash 4 is keeping Pit relevant.
Still, Palutena go home.

TheMantyke I did that from memory and then checked and added some more important things (and said the same thing in my post iirc) to show what actually resonates with a player of smash bros.. Even if Brawl introduced a hell of a lot more, they are much more minor and therefore not worth listing. Also seeing how these recent-game newcomers really didn't need to be in here as they are not major characters at all, it seems to much more be advertising. Pikmin and Animal Crossing are major series, so I am happy with Olimar and Villager, however things like Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja just shouldn't be in the games yet.
You missed the Stage Builder, an actual Adventure Mode in Subspace and everything relating to it, Challenges, snapshots, a soundtrack over 10x larger than Melee, revamped Coin Launcher that is actually fun, Final Smashes, and way more Co-op modes. There was a lot of other really minor things that were added but these were all new or greatly expanded upon features. Coin Battles were also from ssbm.

I'm personally really excited for this game but Celever seriously wtf is with your arguments

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You missed the Stage Builder, an actual Adventure Mode in Subspace and everything relating to it, Challenges, snapshots, a soundtrack over 10x larger than Melee, revamped Coin Launcher that is actually fun, Final Smashes, and way more Co-op modes. There was a lot of other really minor things that were added but these were all new or greatly expanded upon features. Coin Battles were also from ssbm.

I'm personally really excited for this game but Celever seriously wtf is with your arguments
I agree with you but you reminded me; I really hope they improve the stage builder.

While I don't think it was necessarily BAD, it was just lacking a lot of things. There should be blocks from different games (maybe a block colored like a Yoshi egg, barrel blasts from DK, breakable kind from Skyworld, etc) as well as hazards (fire, water, enemy spawning blocks.) Instead we got vanilla blocks and floors that had no soul. Maybe I lack creativity but the best stage I built was a giant hole where you can smash each other until you reach 999%. Was pretty fun tbh.

The music was 10/10 though, and SSB4 seems to be on the right track in that regard.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Charizard ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no Pokemon Trainer ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝
Technically, since Charizard is confirmed to Mega-Evolve, it must have a trainer. :P

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

I want another Subspace Emissary; those cutscenes were made of win.

Like this Crowning Moment of Awesome:

Pretty sure they said no SSE this time. Wasn't popular/motivating enough for an adventure mode, or so they said.

I'd personally prefer the resources went to something that didn't play like a bad platformer.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Pretty sure they said no SSE this time. Wasn't popular/motivating enough for an adventure mode, or so they said.

I'd personally prefer the resources went to something that didn't play like a bad platformer.
Sakurai said too many people spoiled it by posting it all over youtube so he decided not to bother. He wants people to experience and *play* the world he created, not watch it like a movie. I am very sad that something as big as the SSE is not returning (as I do not really have many friends to Smash with locally) because I spent a lot of time searching out secrets and hidden trophies etc.

Also: The linked video makes me squeeeeee like a little school girl. It's just that fucking epic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)