Pokémon Hoopa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved By Haunter

Pokedex Number: 720
Type: Psychic/Ghost
Stats: 80 HP/110 Attack/60 Defense/150 Special Attack/130 Special Defense/70 Speed

Ability: Magician -
The Pokémon steals the held item of a Pokémon it hits with a move.

Magician is awful

Level Up Moves

stab in bold

Trick Room
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Hyperspace Hole*

Trick
Destiny Bond
Ally Switch
Confusion
Astonish

Magic Coat
Psybeam

Light Screen
Skill Swap
Power Split
Guard Split
Phantom Force
Wonder Room
*80 bp special psychic attack. 5pp. goes through protect. ignores accuracy and evasion

TM List

Psyshock,
Calm Mind, Toxic, Hidden Power, Sunny Day, Taunt, Hyper Beam, Light Screen, Protect, Rain Dance, Safeguard, Frustration, Thunderbolt, Return, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Brick Break, Double Team, Reflect, Torment, Facade, Rest, Thief, Round, Focus Blast, Energy Ball, Fling, Charge Beam, Quash, Embargo, Giga Impact, Flash, Thunder Wave, Psych Up, Dream Eater, Grass Knot, Swagger, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Trick Room, Power-up Punch, Confide

Potential Movesets

Choice Scarf

Hoopa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Wow this thing is pretty shit in nearly every aspect. It has a 4x weakness to both ghost and dark. Its ability is basically worthless. Its stat distribution is pretty bad (too slow and the attack is pointlessly high, like seriously if the attack and speed got swapped this thing would be so much better).

At least hyperspace hole is a decent move

Last edited:
Wow, yeah. Psychic/Ghost is certainly NOT a good typing in this meta. 4x weak to Knock Off and Pursuit? God, if only his Attack and Speed were switched around. And Magician? Seriously? They didn't learn from Delphox?

We can't even begin to theorize possible sets with as much knowledge as we have now. Hyperspace Hole isn't even close to as good a signature move as Diancie and Volcanion. ATM, this is quite possibly the worst event legendary ever.

This was only what I read according to Hozu...

If it works the way you mentioned, then great. Otherwise this is just another red mark on the card of this Pokemon.
this is the description of hyperspace hole

Using a hyperspace hole, the user appears right next to the target and strikes. This also hits a target using Protect or Detect.

all the two turn moves specifically mention how they attack on the second turn

The user burrows, then attacks on the second turn. It can also be used to exit dungeons.
The user vanishes somewhere, then strikes the target on the next turn. This move hits even if the target protects itself.
The user soars, then strikes its target on the second turn. It can also be used for flying to any familiar town.

It definitely is not a two turn move

4x weakness to Dark and Ghost in a tier where Knock Off is flying around every corner + Worthless ability. Can't see it being used in OU.

it isn't a two turn move. it's a weaker psychic that hits through protect and ignores evasion
a.k.a. only useful for doubles

But we can't say the 110 Attack is useless. What if it gets Psycho Cut, Swords Dance, Earthquake, Shadow Claw, and Superpower?! Then it can kill all those Bisharps that switch in. That being said, with what we do know, this thing won't be very good except for Trick Room teams.

That being said, with what we do know, this thing won't be very good except for Trick Room teams.
This thing is garbage even for Trick Room. Not only does it stack weaknesses with common Trick Room setters who are almost all ghost and psychic. The weakness to sucker punch is terrible as well. Hoopa will have to run substitute on all of its sets to prevent sucker punch that means if you add trick room hoopa only has two slots left to attack with. 60 base physical defense means hoppa is nearly worthless at setting up Trick Room in the face of physical attackers. I cannot see myself replacing Reuniclus, Porygon2, Mawile, Cofagrigus or any other prominent trick room mons for a pokemon with this many flaws.

Wow.

Ok... Lemme think possible uses for this guy...

Extremely uncomfortable speed tier and low defense, gets mauled by any priority except mach punch and vaccum wave.

But then again, why would you use priority on something so slow?

If it gets Shadow Sneak, it could be more useful, but then again, that's not saying much, especially in the face of aegislash.

Though its special defense is great, its HP stat and its typing lets it down.

The only useful thing can do is switch into a moderately strong special attack (that is not either ghost or dark type) and fire off a shadow ball, which aegislash can do anyway.

First Diancie and then Hoopa. What's with all the sucky legendaries?

Honestly no amount of theorymonning in the world could make this usable. Although it looks like a nuke with 150 SpA, without a good speed tier to abuse it with and terribad defensive typing this thing just dies. I'd imagine this won't even be considered viable for the tier.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Wow.

Ok... Lemme think possible uses for this guy...

Extremely uncomfortable speed tier and low defense, gets mauled by any priority except mach punch and vaccum wave.

But then again, why would you use priority on something so slow?

If it gets Shadow Sneak, it could be more useful, but then again, that's not saying much, especially in the face of aegislash.

Though its special defense is great, its HP stat and its typing lets it down.

The only useful thing can do is switch into a moderately strong special attack (that is not either ghost or dark type) and fire off a shadow ball, which aegislash can do anyway.

First Diancie and then Hoopa. What's with all the sucky legendaries?
Diancie doesn't seem to bad, atleast it has and a good abillity + signature move, it could still have a nice niche unlike Hoopa

Last edited:
Run colbur berry, take advantage of magician...

Hyperspace hole is shit even in meta... Hits Aegi for resisted... Granted, the rarely seen chesnaught would get taken but would probably expect it if seen... Gliscor probably would have to get out of it's toxic stall mode. If this move went behind substitute as well... That'd be a different story.

I feel like if this thing got Will-o-wisp, Shadow Sneak, or some sort of fight move, it wouldn't be that bad... Hitting aegi on in with threat of wisp + Colbur berry means you could at least have a CHANCE to survive... The movepool could make this pokemon at the very least a strong contender in UU because it does have some salvageable stats (Although TR is useless as this thing has a shit speed tier from both directions).

If it gets Psystrike, Hoopa might not be a bad non-steel, non-dark wallbreaker...but that's about it.

The fact that the description is so niche should tell you everything you need to know about Hoopa's viability.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
If it gets Psystrike, Hoopa might not be a bad non-steel, non-dark wallbreaker...but that's about it.

The fact that the description is so niche should tell you everything you need to know about it.
Psystrike is exclusive to Mewtwo though, so the odds of Hoppa getting that move are about the same as the odds that I will win the lottery. Man did they screw up with Hoopa

Hoopa would have been better off in Gen 5 where Knock Off wasn't running around everywhere and it didn't have Aegislash to outclass it.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Well considering the standard Ghost- or Psychic-type move-pool I can think of a decent set.

Hoopa @ Lefties
EVs 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spe
Modest / Timid
Shadow Ball
Psyshock
Substitute
Focus Blast / Will-O-Wisp

With Ghost + Psychic only resisted by Dark-types, I feel that a Substitute + 3 Attacks set of Shadow Ball, Psyshock, and Focus Blast/Dazzling Gleam would hold up with that chunky Sp.Def and sky high Sp.Atk. Without Focus Blast, Will-O-Wisp ensures that Bisharp, Mandibuzz, or Tyranitar is feeling some pain should they switch on Sub. If it doesn't get either one nor Dazzling Gleam, Hoopa will at least have fun in RU.

Knock Off weakness is awful but Hoopa's not exactly trying to take on Physical Attackers in the first place. I don't even think the Dark weakness is Hoopa's biggest issue, it's that awful speed tier and lack of Defense that really kills it. Even if it does get Will-O-Wisp, everything Hoopa would want to hit with it is faster by at least 10 base points. WoW Mew is a perfect example of what Hoopa would like to be but can't. It's really gotta bank on that Special Attack being so high.

Psystrike is exclusive to Mewtwo though, so the odds of Hoppa getting that move are about the same as the odds that I will win the lottery. Man did they screw up with Hoopa
I meant Psyshock. Psystrike would be better but what Hoopa really needs is the ability to pick apart the aforementioned walls by hitting the weak defence.

Going by history, it looks like Hoopa should be able to learn it...but that's still a highly selective role and one I'm not sure isn't better suited by Espeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)