Houndoom @ Houndoomite
Ability: Flash Fire (Solar Power)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid / Mild
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse / Sucker Punch
- Solar Beam / Hidden Power Rock / Hidden Power Grass / Substitute

If sun is up, Mega Houndoom boasts one of the hardest-hitting special attacks in the game:

+2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Snorlax in sun: 288-339 (54.96 - 64.69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Snorlax: 390-460 (74.42 - 87.78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is a SUPER EFFECTIVE hit from a MEWTWO vs. a RESISTED hit from a HOUNDOOM on one of the best fully invested special walls in the game (160/110 Special Defense). Granted, it is at +2, but the chance of having such immense power may be reason enough to run Drought or Sunny Day support on a team to give Houndoom a chance at shining. Because Fire Blast vaporizes things even when resisted, everything else revolves around coverage. Dark Pulse is Solar Power-boosted and very, very powerful, but an uninvested Sucker Punch still has a chance to fight back against faster Pokemon such as Mega Gengar (regular Gengar is outsped and crushed by Fire Blast, even if it tries to Mega Evolve that turn), and Fire Blast obliterates everything anyway, making mildly powerful physical priority something that might be appealing. The last spot is mostly filler, but getting through the Pokemon who quad resist Fire Blast or have Flash Fire may give it problems. And speaking of Flash Fire, if you manage to switch Houndoom in on a Fire-type move before Mega Evolving, this is about the equivalent of a Solar Power boost to Fire Blast. Something says goodbye.

Mega Houndoom (SunnyBeam)
Houndoom @ Houndoomite
Ability: Flash Fire (Solar Power)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid / Mild
- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse / Sucker Punch

The old school classic returns! Although inferior to the other set due to less power, Flash Fire on normal Houndoom can still make Mega Houndoom an absolute MONSTER, and being able to set up Sunny Day for itself with slightly improved defenses can allow it to still wreak havoc, now with a more reliable Solarbeam to boot. SunnyBeam has always been a weird strategy because its users took hits like wet tissues and it was almost completely wrecked by auto-weather in Gen V, but it's hard to resist the potential of OHKO'ing a good part of the metagame with just a couple of attacks.

Mixed Attacker
Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Nature: Hasty
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

The Gen V standard that became one of the strangest high-risk, high-reward Pokemon in UU. With good prediction, any one of Houndoom's three physical 80 BP STABs could put a good dent in your opponent no matter what he chose to do: switch, attack with a physical move, or attack with a special one. It remains viable in this generation, especially because many will be expecting the special attacking Mega Houndoom only to get hit with a physical set instead. It makes Ghost- and Psychic-typing on many Pokemon a liability, but predicting wrongly will almost certainly end up with a dead dog on your hands.
why isnt this the main breakdown when i click this link on google?

252+ SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sun: 388-458 (96 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
This thing is scary....

A Sucker Punch set would be pretty good to go against Gengar and could be a good check to Scarf Gengar since it can only really hit Doom with Focus Blast

252+ SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sun: 388-458 (96 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
This thing is scary....
Indeed.

252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W in Sun: 147-173 (48.3 - 56.9%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'm using Fire Blast in a scenario where the opponent switched into Rotom-W. After the Fire Blast, you can proceed by wiping Rotom W using Solar Beam or finish it off with another Fire Blast or Dark Pulse.

Under the Sun, Mega Houndoom can 2hko most water Pokemons with Fire Blast.

252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo in Sun: 231-273 (71.5 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Starmie in Sun: 243-286 (93.1 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill in Sun: 255-301 (63.1 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (You would obviously switch out as Azumarills Aqua Jet can fuck Houndoom up, but its good to know that Fire Blast does such huge damage against water pokemons)

I personally use this set:

MF DOOM (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Destiny Bond
- Nasty Plot

I don't see Solar Beam being necessary. Dark Pulse + Fire Blast hits everything neutrally. The only thing Houndoom can't hit is Keldeo and I usually take out Keldeo using Destiny Bond.

It also misses out on MegaDos and Azumarill, and while I suppose you could just DBond them, too, it seems more efficient to hit them with Solar Beam.

Indeed.

252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W in Sun: 147-173 (48.3 - 56.9%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'm using Fire Blast in a scenario where the opponent switched into Rotom-W. After the Fire Blast, you can proceed by wiping Rotom W using Solar Beam or finish it off with another Fire Blast or Dark Pulse.

Under the Sun, Mega Houndoom can 2hko most water Pokemons with Fire Blast.

252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo in Sun: 231-273 (71.5 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Starmie in Sun: 243-286 (93.1 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill in Sun: 255-301 (63.1 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (You would obviously switch out as Azumarills Aqua Jet can fuck Houndoom up, but its good to know that Fire Blast does such huge damage against water pokemons)

I personally use this set:

MF DOOM (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Destiny Bond
- Nasty Plot

I don't see Solar Beam being necessary. Dark Pulse + Fire Blast hits everything neutrally. The only thing Houndoom can't hit is Keldeo and I usually take out Keldeo using Destiny Bond.

Slightly off topic, but we have the same houndoom name ( haha!) What would you guys consider great partners for Houndoom (besides the obvious sunny day users) to help his checks, counters, etc?

It also misses out on MegaDos and Azumarill, and while I suppose you could just DBond them, too, it seems more efficient to hit them with Solar Beam.
But you need a sun setter or Ninetails for Solar Beam, Destiny Bond doesn't need anything. I find Houndoom to frail to be last long in the game, so I usually settle for 2 KOs and then Destiny Bond.

Slightly off topic, but we have the same houndoom name ( haha!) What would you guys consider great partners for Houndoom (besides the obvious sunny day users) to help his checks, counters, etc?
Haha, awesome. I actually wanted to name it Victor Vaughn but I settled for MF.

I think Ferrothorn would be a decent partner, but its weak to Fighting moves, so I'm not really sure. Thinking about it, no body in my team is actually a good partner for Houndoom. (Crawdaunt, Zapdos, Espeon, Galvantula and T-Tar)

What would you guys consider great partners for Houndoom (besides the obvious sunny day users) to help his checks, counters, etc?
How about Venusaur? Chlorophyll Venusaur can still wreck things under the sun, and it can take any Water or Fighting type moves Houndoom may fear. Furthermore, it can put a potential counter to sleep. In return, Houndoom can handle all Fire, Ice, and Psychic type moves that make Venu shudder. You can also play mind games with your opponent over which of your Pokemon is holding the Mega Stone.

Just a thought.

How about Venusaur? Chlorophyll Venusaur can still wreck things under the sun, and it can take any Water or Fighting type moves Houndoom may fear. Furthermore, it can put a potential counter to sleep. In return, Houndoom can handle all Fire, Ice, and Psychic type moves that make Venu shudder. You can also play mind games with your opponent over which of your Pokemon is holding the Mega Stone.

Just a thought.
Houndoom isn't even viable without it's Megastone and even with the Megastone, it's not as viable as most Pokemon in OU so your Opponent would know who your Mega is Off Top.

*Imagine seeing Houndoom and Venusar on the same team. Your first impression would be Venusaur, but Houndoom is Garbage without a Boost so most likely your Opponent will use Houndoominite. He knows who your Mega Is without even thinking twice about it. That's no kind of Mind Game at all.

Why not Prankster Whimsicott as Sun Setter and Leech Seeder over Regular Venusuar?

Last edited:
But you need a sun setter or Ninetails for Solar Beam, Destiny Bond doesn't need anything. I find Houndoom to frail to be last long in the game, so I usually settle for 2 KOs and then Destiny Bond.

Haha, awesome. I actually wanted to name it Victor Vaughn but I settled for MF.

I think Ferrothorn would be a decent partner, but its weak to Fighting moves, so I'm not really sure. Thinking about it, no body in my team is actually a good partner for Houndoom. (Crawdaunt, Zapdos, Espeon, Galvantula and T-Tar)
Ferrothorn could also provide the additional benefit of luring Fire moves to activate Flash Fire before Mega-Evolving Houndoom (or maybe that would discourage people from using Fire-type moves to take out Ferro). Sounds like a pretty great partnership to me!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Azumarill hits just about every Pokemon that resists Houndoom's STABs; save other Azumarill, every single one of them is weak to either Fairy or Water. Their typings go fairly well together defensively as well. You'll want a Thundurus switchin though - a paralyzed Houndoom is a dead Houndoom.

Ferrothorn could also provide the additional benefit of luring Fire moves to activate Flash Fire before Mega-Evolving Houndoom (or maybe that would discourage people from using Fire-type moves to take out Ferro). Sounds like a pretty great partnership to me!
Forgot about that, great luring. Not to mention its great to switch in into Ferro when you predict a U-Turn.

So I started using this guy on my Dark Mono team. I thought it was a fluke when I OHKO'd a mega Venusaur in the sun with Fire Blast, but I did the calcs and sure enough. This thing hits like a nuclear missile! Aside from Sableeye, who can prankster sun set, what would good dark type partners be? I think he's potent enough where the team can be built around him.

So I started using this guy on my Dark Mono team. I thought it was a fluke when I OHKO'd a mega Venusaur in the sun with Fire Blast, but I did the calcs and sure enough. This thing hits like a nuclear missile! Aside from Sableeye, who can prankster sun set, what would good dark type partners be? I think he's potent enough where the team can be built around him.
Mandibuzz would be a decent switch in to avoid earthquakes and to keep entry hazards out of the game. Krookodile resists Rock, neutral to Ground but shares a weakness in Water, while Houndoom covers up for its Grass and Ice weaknesses. Scrafty only shares one weakness with Houndoom in fighting, but I'm not sure how good Scrafty can be in OU. Assault Vest T-Tar shares many weaknesses and has many
weaknesses, but under Sand, it can take any non fighting special attack and laugh it of. But summoning sandstorm is counter productive if you're counting on the sun.

Since Houndoom's HP decreases in the sun, and its a bit frail, wouldn't dual screens be a decent option to soften the blows Houndoom takes? And I think you might need a wish passing Pokemon, maybe Umbreon.

Mega Houndoom never lasted long for me, in best case scenario I beat 2 Pokemons after setting up a Nasty Plot and then take out the 3rd one with Destiny Bond. So you might want to have another offensive powerhouse in your team, maybe T-Tar (Which creates the Sand vs Sun problem) or scarfed Hydreigon.

I just wanted to do a stat comparison, and this thing is far more powerful than M-Zard Y:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 427-504 (125.2 - 147.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This gives Mega Houndoom an effective 235 SpA (if i did it right) under Sun with a Timid nature!

I just wanted to do a stat comparison, and this thing is far more powerful than M-Zard Y:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Solar Power Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 427-504 (125.2 - 147.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This gives Mega Houndoom an effective 235 SpA (if i did it right) under Sun with a Timid nature!
Of course it is, its base SpA is only 9 points lower and it gets an effective +1 from the sun being up. The problem is having to set the sun in order to have that power boost, as well as the extra damage that Houndoom is taking each turn. I think Houndoom is much better off running Nasty Plot, and Energy Ball if you miss the Solarbeam coverage (+2 Energy Ball will always be stronger than a Solar Powered Solar Beam, and has the bonus of never being screwed over by a sand/rain setter coming in). The only Pokemon that I can think of that a Nasty Plot set isn't stronger against are Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar, and those only if you use Sunny Day as they switch in, overriding their Sandstorm.

Jesus, that battle hurt. Shiftry did most the work, Houndoom honestly was not showcased well at all in this battle :/.
Yeah, I made many wrong predictions. (For some reason I always forget about magic bounce) and I didn't expect Excadrill to stay on Gliscor, thus I went for Knock Off instead of EQ.

It all came down to Houndoom in the end. There was noway I could beat Tornadus-T without Houndoom.

Mandibuzz would be a decent switch in to avoid earthquakes and to keep entry hazards out of the game. Krookodile resists Rock, neutral to Ground but shares a weakness in Water, while Houndoom covers up for its Grass and Ice weaknesses. Scrafty only shares one weakness with Houndoom in fighting, but I'm not sure how good Scrafty can be in OU. Assault Vest T-Tar shares many weaknesses and has many
weaknesses, but under Sand, it can take any non fighting special attack and laugh it of. But summoning sandstorm is counter productive if you're counting on the sun.

Since Houndoom's HP decreases in the sun, and its a bit frail, wouldn't dual screens be a decent option to soften the blows Houndoom takes? And I think you might need a wish passing Pokemon, maybe Umbreon.

Mega Houndoom never lasted long for me, in best case scenario I beat 2 Pokemons after setting up a Nasty Plot and then take out the 3rd one with Destiny Bond. So you might want to have another offensive powerhouse in your team, maybe T-Tar (Which creates the Sand vs Sun problem) or scarfed Hydreigon.
I'll say it again, give Jumpluff a shot. It's an amazing partner. With great speed it can put one counter to sleep with Sleep Powder, set up either Sunny Day or Reflect, and use Memento to get Houndoom in well while potentially netting you a Flash Fire boost as well. They just go so damn well together. A Latias is also good with Defog, screens and Healing Wish while being immune to Ground and resisting Water and Fighting.

I'll say it again, give Jumpluff a shot. It's an amazing partner. With great speed it can put one counter to sleep with Sleep Powder, set up either Sunny Day or Reflect, and use Memento to get Houndoom in well while potentially netting you a Flash Fire boost as well. They just go so damn well together. A Latias is also good with Defog, screens and Healing Wish while being immune to Ground and resisting Water and Fighting.
Wouldn't Whimsicott be a better choice? It's faster, got Prankster, better typing and can do almost everything Jumpluff can do except putting other Pokemons on sleep.

What EV spread you'd suggest for Latias?

Well that's your choice but Whimsicott also cannot use Reflect and the defenses are 75/70/95 vs 60/85/75 Jumpluff to Whimsicott respectively. Whimsicott has some nice resistances but Jumpluff's much better special defense and HP plus Sleep Powder and Reflect I think puts it over the edge.

For the sole purpose of supporting Houndoom, Timid 252 Hp / 252 Spd is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)