Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking of basing a team around CroCrune, since I love that big lug, but I'm not the best with playing stall; are there teammates out there that'll help CroCune shine that don't necessarily make a stall team, or am I more or less SOL?
Mega Venusaur and Chansey are probably the best.

Very sorry if someone's asked this, but why was it decided to keep the auto-leveling on Smogon's simulators at 100 instead of 50? I thought that the simulators were supposed to simulate the game, and the game has level 50 as its default. The only reason I care about this at all is that I like to use Smogon analyses when deciding EV spreads for my in-game team and the most efficient EV spreads at level 100 aren't always the same as they are for level 50.

On an unrelated note, I finally (after weeks of trying) hatched a shiny Bulletproof Impish Chespin via Masuda Method. It has perfect HP, Attack, Special Defense, and Speed IVs; however, its Defense IV is only 10 or 11 (if only it had been switched with that 28 Special Attack IV...). How crippled is this future Chesnaught for on-cart multiplayer matches with that less-than-ideal Defense IV?

Very sorry if someone's asked this, but why was it decided to keep the auto-leveling on Smogon's simulators at 100 instead of 50? I thought that the simulators were supposed to simulate the game, and the game has level 50 as its default. The only reason I care about this at all is that I like to use Smogon analyses when deciding EV spreads for my in-game team and the most efficient EV spreads at level 100 aren't always the same as they are for level 50.
you can find the answer here.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
In addition to what s_aman said, since it's still possible to have level 100 battles ingame there isn't really any incentive to lower everything to 50. If game freak ever makes it impossible to battle at level 100 then smogon would most likely change

Ya' guys thought about doing more analysis/researcj on new/updated moves and/or items?
there's a research thread here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-mechanics-research.3489239/
pokemon analyses for gen 6 are here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/ou-analyses.255/

What is a good counter to Hydreigon? What is a good counter to Volcarona? Is there a pokemon that can counter both, besides Chansey and Blissey? It does not matter to me if it is OU, gimmicky, etc.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is a good counter to Hydreigon? What is a good counter to Volcarona? Is there a pokemon that can counter both, besides Chansey and Blissey? It does not matter to me if it is OU, gimmicky, etc.
Azumarill in my opinion. The Water for Volcarona and Fairy typing for Hydreigon. Even with Hydreigon's wide move spread, it can't touch Azumarill.

Azumarill in my opinion. The Water for Volcarona and Fairy typing for Hydreigon. Even with Hydreigon's wide move spread, it can't touch Azumarill.
It seems good for Hydreigon, but most Volcarona carry Giga Drain. I do not know the calcs, but would Azumarril not have a difficult time racing it?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It seems good for Hydreigon, but most Volcarona carry Giga Drain. I do not know the calcs, but would Azumarril not have a difficult time racing it?
Giga Drain is only on 36% of Volcarona's. Azumarill isn't a perfect counter to it, but 64% of the time it is. Plus,
+1 0 SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 250-296 (61.8 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Azumarill can take it if it has to, and KO with Waterfall.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Volcarona: 450-530 (120.3 - 141.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 332-392 (82.1 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It can come in on a Quiver Dance and still take a hit, then proceed to kill with Waterfall or 2HKO with Aqua Jet and I see more Roost over Giga Drain but maybe that is just me.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 452-534 (144.8 - 171.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 228-270 (73 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Well, it seems I stand corrected on a few accounts. Thank you both for the suggestion and help. My current team is Crobat, Rotom-H, Gastrodon, Ferrothorn, Mandibuzz, and Mawile; I think I would switch either Rotom-H or Mawile for it (since I like Gastrodon a lot).

Is there a way to watch battles on the Showdown simulator in a specific ranking range? Or at least of a higher, not-random range? I want to watch high level players instead of always seeing 1000's-1300's.

Is there a way to watch battles on the Showdown simulator in a specific ranking range? Or at least of a higher, not-random range? I want to watch high level players instead of always seeing 1000's-1300's.
Sadly, not at the moment. However, the smogtours server (smogtours.psim.us) usually has battles going on every once in a while and these are usually battles between high level players, occaisionally even tournament matches. Also, you can view replays of battles between some of the best players in all of Smogon across a variety of tiers in the SPL replay thread.

Took a short break right after the Mega Luke / Gene ban, anything crucial I should know before I start laddering again or is the meta pretty much the same post ban?

Took a short break right after the Mega Luke / Gene ban, anything crucial I should know before I start laddering again or is the meta pretty much the same post ban?
Well, the only ban that has taken place since then is Swagger. The meta is quite a bit different, but it's kind of difficult to give a general idea of how it has changed since it's mostly a bunch of minor changes. I might as well list a few general trends in the metagame, at least in high level play:
  • Rotom-Wash and Conkeldurr have taken huge falls in popularity, among a few other things taking minor falls in popularity
  • Keldeo, Bisharp, Thundurus, Subtoxic Aegislash, DD Mega Tyranitar, Mega Gyarados, Ferrothorn, and Charizard are much more popular
  • Flying spam is much less popular
  • Charizard-Y + Keldeo + Pursuit Aegislash/Bisharp teams are very common
  • Stall is now usually double Unaware with CM Clefable and Quagsire
  • Hazard lead Deoxys-S has become all but non-existent in favor of Deoxys-D, but SR + 3 attacks LO Deoxys-S relatively is common
This is just a list of general changes, I don't know how helpful it will be. Looking at SPL replays would also be helpful.

Also, we now use 1760 stats (about the same as the old 1850 stats) for tiering, so the OU list is actually relevant again and no longer has stuff like Donphan.

Well pretty much what Magnemite said and also if I may add:
  • Knock off has extremely gained popularity. Pokemon that depend on there held items, for example Trevenant, Exeggutor, also have gain a huge decrease in popularity.
  • Evolite Chansey has been one of the best mixed walls that are out atm.
  • Adding to the list of popular pokes: Clefable ( Heal Bell/Aromathearpy, MoonBlast, Amnesia, Stored Power, Soft-boiled, Wish [Ability: Magic Guard] ), Togekiss ( Air slash, t-wave, Dazzling gleam, Heal bell, roost, Wish [Ability: Serene grace] ) And also Mega Medicham + Mega Mawile because they hit extremely hard.

Why did they banned Mega-Lucario? >.<
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...n-extreme-speed-demon-read-post-1278.3498655/

This is the suspect dicussion thread for Lucarionite, Genesect, and Deoxys-S

To summarize a lot of it, Lucario could completely wreck teams once set up (or not). Because it could run both physical and special sets switching in the wrong counter could mean losing the game. Even the best physical walls in the game such as Skarmory were cleanly 2HKO'd by an unboosted Close Combat. There were only a few counters for both sets, and all of them became shaky at best with SR. It was extremely hard to even revenge kill as it had 112 base speed and a plethora of great priority moves to abuse.

When running an Adamant Mamoswine, what would I lose if I invested in HP rather than Attack?
Mamoswine has a very bad defensive typing, so running HP is rather useless on it. Max Speed max Attack is a much more beneficial spread, as it helps Mamoswine perform its wallbreaking duties as efficiently as possible. You can find more information about the best Mamoswine sets and spreads here.

Mamoswine has a very bad defensive typing, so running HP is rather useless on it. Max Speed max Attack is a much more beneficial spread, as it helps Mamoswine perform its wallbreaking duties as efficiently as possible. You can find more information about the best Mamoswine sets and spreads here.
Uh, whoops, I meant in place of Speed, not Attack.

But it looks like the answer stays basically the same.

When running an Adamant Mamoswine, what would I lose if I invested in HP rather than Speed?
Yea, HP is rather useless. When running max speed and attack, I usually give the 4 extra EV's to SpD. Also if your running a Adamant Mamoswine, you should always invest EV's into Attack because its Adamant ( +Attack - Special Attack ).

So I used to run either 252/192+ or 240/192+ on Hippowdon as it was determined to avoid the 2HKO from M-Char X's Flare Blitz, but now when I calculate it, it shows to actually be able to 2HKO now:

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 192+ Def Hippowdon: 193-228 (46 - 54.4%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'm wondering, have the damage calculations changed recently?

So I used to run either 252/192+ or 240/192+ on Hippowdon as it was determined to avoid the 2HKO from M-Char X's Flare Blitz, but now when I calculate it, it shows to actually be able to 2HKO now:

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 192+ Def Hippowdon: 193-228 (46 - 54.4%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'm wondering, have the damage calculations changed recently?
I'm assuming that the previous calc used Jolly. The one you just posted used Adamant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)