Pokémon Volcanion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Dumb question, where was it confirmed to be a 30% burn chance? Not saying that's not true, but I'm just curious.

Edit: Also just saying, pretty much everything cares about being burned, even special attackers. Losing 12.5% of your health each turn sucks.

Dumb question, where was it confirmed to be a 30% burn chance? Not saying that's not true, but I'm just curious.

Edit: Also just saying, pretty much everything cares about being burned, even special attackers. Losing 12.5% of your health each turn sucks.
Serebii says so. I'm not sure how much it's been tested if it has since they don't have its moves yet... But I guess that's all we have right now.
If it's true, then it just became my new favorite move in the whole game. Damn.
However, if not, it's still Hydro Pump with 95% accuracy and a burn chance.

Last edited:
How about
Volcanion @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Quiet Nature
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SAtk / 56 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- <Physical move>

I know its possible, but I think Gamefreak wouldn't give this guy 110 Attack and no relevant physical move. In which case he can get in on a resisted move, set up a Sub and proceed to dish out damage and/or burns. Coverage is less of an issue since as everyone said, nobody likes getting a burn, which is what this guy was born to deliver.

This guy definitely has potential, the comparison to Heatran is easily made however being weak to SR is worrisome for a defensive/tanky mon with likely no reliable recovery.

Super Scald sounds crazy, nothing without a water immunity or a Lum Berry will really want to switch in on this thing for fear of getting burned with bulky ZardX being a possible exception.

Whether or not it will be decent, good or even great will depend very much on the movepool, some kind of Ice or Rock move or even Dazzling Gleam (unlikely) to hit Dragonite would go along way.

Earth Quake/Earth Power sounds likely but might be a little redundant with it's STABs as Steel, Rock and Fire are already hit for SE damage and poison isn't too relevant, it would be nice for electric types but the 3 most used ones are immune to ground moves anyway.

Stealth Rock makes sense somehow but would likely be a tutor move.

I kind of expect this to be similar to offensive Heatran with the added utility of being incredibly hard to switch into and a slightly worse defensive typing.

I kind of expect this to be similar to offensive Heatran with the added utility of being incredibly hard to switch into and a slightly worse defensive typing.
In a way, his defensive typing is better because he can stay in on all of his weaknesses (barring electric, hoping for a coverage move for electrics gamefreak pl0x), tank the hit, and OHKO back or just burn the thing and make it useless. Heatran has to get the fuck out any time something might have a chance of carrying EQ.

Even if he were to be lacking in coverage moves with a bulk like that paired with his wonderful resistences and STEAM ERUPTION I think he would still (and easily)find place in this OU metagame.

Last edited:

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
The importance of Water Absorb on a fire type can't be overstated. This alone will make Volcanion a key team member on sun teams in both OU and ubers. It also has good stats, good STABs and what is quite possibly the best offensive move in the game.
Oh and it's the best burn absorber in the game, no questions asked. If you need something that can reliably switch on Scald, Lava Plume, WoW, Sacred Fire and Steam Eruption, this is what you want.
Volcanion will definitely be metagame-changing in every tier it's allowed in.

Last edited:
The importance of Water Absorb on a fire type can't be overstated. This alone will make Volcanion a key team member on sun teams in both OU and ubers. It also has good stats, good STABs and what is quite possibly the best offensive move in the game.
Oh and it's the best burn absorber in the game, no questions asked. If you need something that can reliably switch on Scald, Lava Plume, WoW and Steam Eruption, this is what you want.
Volcanion will definitely be metagame-chaning in every tier it's allowed in.
I'm not really sure that putting this thing on a sun team is that smart, you basically gimp it's strongest move, sure the typing is cool but you kinda wanna take advantage of Steam Eruption and it's not set that it gets Lava Plume.

Oh and it's the best burn absorber in the game, no questions asked. If you need something that can reliably switch on Scald, Lava Plume, WoW, Sacred Fire and Steam Eruption, this is what you want.
Volcanion will definitely be metagame-chaning in every tier it's allowed in.
Agree with everything above. Volcanion will be a great bulky fire type in ou and in ubers. It might face a little competition from heatran (both are bulky, powerful, slow fire types) but it can definitely differentiate itself from heatran.

pros of Volcanion: better dual stab, not 4x ground weak, immune to water(big one in ubers), steam eruption, better defense
pros of heatran: not weak to stealth rocks, better special defense, resist grass, isnt weak to electric, faster

Volcanion is by far the best out of the three new legendaries.

I think while we need confirmation of Steam Eruption's burn chance, the fact that it's basically the lovechild of Scald and Hydro Pump makes Volcanion a really fucking scary Pokemon. Scald is already a stupidly gay move but here we have a bulky water that doesn't give a fuck about Grass types because of STAB Fire (well except MegaVenu that is but yeah). Looking forward to using this when it comes out.

I think while we need confirmation of Steam Eruption's burn chance, the fact that it's basically the lovechild of Scald and Hydro Pump makes Volcanion a really fucking scary Pokemon. Scald is already a stupidly gay move but here we have a bulky water that doesn't give a fuck about Grass types because of STAB Fire (well except MegaVenu that is but yeah). Looking forward to using this when it comes out.
http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/steameruption.shtml

It's best that we wait for the mon to actually come out and confirm the rate... or have people who already have access to the Pokemon *cough*powersave*cough* to do their own tests.

Serebii isn't entirely 100% accurate after all, there was a time when it accidentally listed Clawitzer as learning Shell Smash and people were over-hyping it as fuck. I'm not saying that it isn't 30%, but it's safest to confirm it with your own hands.

With as good defenses as it has, I think a mixed set utilizing Weakness Policy and Flame Charge could be potent. With great dual STABs he could wreck at +2. It'd be similar to Dragonite in a sense. Get +1 speed on the switch and if you burn physical attackers you're all the more likely to take little damage from Ground or Rock moves. You would be the PERFECT switch into Rotom-W. You absorb Hydro Pump, you can't be burned, and Volt Switch activates Weakness Policy. RestTalk with your STABS alone would be amazing too with WP. absolute best third move you could learn would be Freeze Dry somehow lol. Expect Assault Vest Conkeldurr to rise in popularity alongside Volcanion, being one of the few things that actually wants to get burned.

Water Absorb is actually a much better trade off than Flash Fire (which was suggested back when this thread got created the last time). Now this guy might actually be useful. It's quite a shame that he remains rocks weak, that will reduce it's overall survivability.

I'm pretty sure he won't be getting ice moves for coverage.

Level up moves:
Flare Blitz, Overheat, Explosion, Steam Eruption,
Take Down, Mist, Haze, Flame Charge,
Water Pulse, Stomp, Scald, Weather Ball,
Body Slam, and Hydro Pump
Fuck yeah, Weather Ball!

EDIT: Now I'm thinking of a core with Mega Abomasnow, and maybe some Trick Room support. Grass/Ice and Water/Fire sound great together and Volcanion's the only Fire-type with Weather Ball, besides Ho-oh.

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
With Water Absorb and an Assault Vest, Volcanion can easily check/counter most Water-types that are viable in OU, including but not limited to: Greninja, Azumarill, Choice Specs Keldeo, Manaphy, Rotom-W, and Politoed. Not to mention that he can take on physical attackers like Talonflame, Aegislash, Mega Mawile, Mega Pinsir most of the time, and (Mega) Scizor, as well as some special attackers thanks to Assault Vest, such as Mega Charizard Y and Mega Venusaur. And the typing, while cursing him with a Stealth Rock weakness, blesses him with 3 x4 resistances in Ice, Fire, and Steel, as well as Bug and Fairy resists. And if you predict a Water-type move, then Stealth Rock doesn't even matter. I swear, Volcanion's easily going OU.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I wonder how much damage Secret Sword from Specs Keldeo does... that 120 base defense stat is pretty damn high.

God this Pokemon looks amazing. Like Heatran except it doesn't have weaknesses to Water / Ground / Fighting, which are huge boons!

Sadly, though, it's weak to Elec. (hi Thundurus) and doesn't have steel type's immunity. Although it reisists Fairy-types, so it beats Azumaril, too!

This Pokemon has lots of potential.

I wonder how much damage Secret Sword from Specs Keldeo does... that 120 base defense stat is pretty damn high.

God this Pokemon looks amazing. Like Heatran except it doesn't have weaknesses to Water / Ground / Fighting, which are huge boons!

Sadly, though, it's weak to Elec. (hi Thundurus) and doesn't have steel type's immunity. Although it reisists Fairy-types, so it beats Azumaril, too!

This Pokemon has lots of potential.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 178-210 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

meanwhile
252+ SpA Volcanion Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 107-126 (33.1 - 39%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO

So Keldeo kinda beats it. Would still hate a burn, though.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 178-210 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

meanwhile
252+ SpA Volcanion Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 107-126 (33.1 - 39%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO

So Keldeo kinda beats it. Would still hate a burn, though.
assuming it gets thunderbolt

252+ SpA Volcanion Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 236-278 (73 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

still a risky switch in though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)