Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V2) (Last update on post #5189)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we move Absol-Mega to C+? It has a cool ability and very nice attacking stats, but it lacks power without Swords Dance and is just not very good. It doesn't have any bulk whatsoever and has trouble mega evolving (it can't instantly be immune to Ferrothorn using SR). It's probably not very important, but I don't think it is B- at all.
What? Magic Bounce works on turn 1, it doesn't affect turn order like Prankster which is set before mega evolving. He doesn't get the speed boost which is a shame though but if you lead with Absol and your opponent leads with Ferrothorn, you can set up a swords dance and spam Knock off/ Sucker punch on the next turn.

Right, MB activates as soon as you MEvo, but the point is you can't switch in on SR/TWave unless you've already MEvo'd, which means, like Chesnaught said, it can be rather hard to find ample opportunity to switch in Absol to MEvo. You could run protect and lead with it, but that's really really really not ideal. Absol just doesn't have the moveslot to waste, with Sucker Punch being nigh on mandatory and SD also being more than ideal.

Although, with Justified, it's actually nice to be able to switch in on a predicted knock off. Not a strong one, like from LO Bisharp or Crawdaunt, but one of those weak ones from Sableye or Ferro that people just run to piss you off >.>.

Let's move to another topic: What unranked OU/BL/UU pokemon deserve to be added on the list? Also is Lucario still viable without Lucarionite?

Let's move to another topic: What unranked OU/BL/UU pokemon deserve to be added on the list?
See:
Then you should check their analyses. Both Blaziken and Mewtwo are viable Pokemon in Ubers, with or without their stones. The mega is just a set for them, and that that's why I think they should not be separated. But that really doesn't belong here.

What are people's opinions on:

B
| B-
|C+
|C
|C-
|D

These are all unranked Pokemon that should be ranked, as they are viable enough for analyses. I put them in a rough order of my idea of their viability, with a "|" separating ranks.
Also is Lucario still viable without Lucarionite?
Yes, no question. It's just not broken anymore.

Lucario is still very much viable with an SD LO set. Don't know if any special set still has any viability, but Lucario's B rank for a reason. Offensive teams hate taking +2 Espeeds and nothing's chomping at the bit to take his +2 CC's. It's also kinda nice that w/his last coverage move he can choose what counters him; the last moveslot drastically changes what can switch in safely. Not as amazing as Mega Luke was, but viable? No doubt.

And the topic of what is unranked that shouldn't be has been covered pretty well. Sgt Spooky's post has a good and complete list. I think Gothitelle is the one being cheated the most by not being ranked, but all those pokes deserve a rank to varying degrees.

My thoughts on Hydreigon: he lost his main bragging point of flawless coverage both to the type changes (Fairies now hard-counter most of his sets) and Kyu-B does that shtick better. Does he have a set that isn't outclassed by the other Dragons/Special Attackers in the tier?

Gothitelle is the best trapper in OU right now - but what is the value of that? In a tier where U-turn and Volt Switch are still around, and Baton Pass teams are being discussed if they are in need of nerfing, most teams have ways of escaping her. And there are too many threats in the meta right now that Gothi can't handle if she DOES trap them - Aegislash and Bisharp to name a couple. What team could make use of her?

Also for what its worth I think having Shuckle on your team is more useful than having Galvantula.

Gothitelle is one of the banes of stall teams. It can trap and KO Skarm with Tbolt, trap and KO Quag with Energy Ball, and then cripple another stall member with a tricked scarf or specs. Its poor physical bulk paired with a lack of investment do hurt it against some of the more offensive teams, but it can still pick off weakened threats or trick a scarf to something that really doesn't want one. And also, Gothitelle can't trap Aegislash because it's a ghost, but you'd have to be an idiot to try to bring it in on those two pokes anyway. It's not something you just have come in on what the hell ever, but the great thing about it is that when you do have it come in on a poke that it can KO or cripple, that poke can't switch out and has to await its fate. Its trapping ability is extremely valuable.

I think something to move onto is Hawlucha, just because it's very straight forward and it shouldn't be that hard to rank. I feel Hawlucha could fit into B-. It's speed with Unburden is absurd, even without any speed investments, with Unburden, it's the fastest Pokemon in the game. It also has a great dual-STAB in Fighting/Flying, which hits many Pokemon. To add to this, it has Encore to stop sweepers, Stone Edge to nail things like Thundurus, can quite easily setup weather, it really isn't too bad. But it's walled HARD by Aegislash, none of it's moves come close to scratching it, and the best move Hawlucha has is... Dig... to hit Aegislash. Also, it relies on it's speed a LOT, anything outspeeding it on first turn, can easily cripple it or just out right kill it. Some to name are Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Greninja, ScarfChomp, Deoxys-S, and obviously plenty more. But, of course, with Unburden it allows it to actually be a danger to teams. All of these pros, and cons, make it seem fit in B- to me.

Now to reply to this:
Gothitelle is the best trapper in OU right now - but what is the value of that? In a tier where U-turn and Volt Switch are still around, and Baton Pass teams are being discussed if they are in need of nerfing, most teams have ways of escaping her. And there are too many threats in the meta right now that Gothi can't handle if she DOES trap them - Aegislash and Bisharp to name a couple. What team could make use of her?
You only focused on Gothitelle out right attack the trappers/outright attackers, which makes no sense whatsoever. Gothitelle's main purpose is to put a stop to stall, which it does absurdly well, by the way. Any stall Pokemon would hate to face it, it has all the tool it needs. Taunt to stop them from using status moves, a movepool that although isn't great, still hits many of stall's main Pokemon such as Skarmory, and Chansey, and what I think the most dangerous is, that Trick Scarf always gets your stall (Seriously name one Pokemon in stall that would actually like Choice Scarf). Gothitelle should NEVER go against Aegislash and Bisharp, so your answer is irrelevant. Finally, you say in a tier where U-Turn and Volt Switch are "still around". Both the moves are in EVERY tier from Gen V and over, and U-Turn is from all. But I'll answer it to the way you meant it (A tier where U-Turn and Volt Switch are quite popular?). I've honestly not seen many VoltTurn this generation, and every VoltTurn team I've faced just gets.. obliterated. Besides, there's very few Pokemon in stall that use U-Turn/Volt Switch.

Gothitelle should be ranked in B honestly. It can stop almost any stall Pokemon in the game with Trick + Choice Scarf, then continue to to kill it, take back the Scarf, and finish the Pokemon off. Although you must switch to repeat, every stall team I've used has always died against a good player with a Gothitelle. It's also what I believe is the prime Chansey/Blissey Killer. Choice Scarf renders it useless (stuck on a move that won't be help) Seismic Toss, with the right EV spread won't be able to 3HKO, while Gothitelle has a high chance to 3HKO (But doing so it will lose it's Scarf and be at extremely low health). But most players with Chansey will use a status move, that's where Gothitelle Taunt's it and Chansey will be doing little damage with Struggle, while killing itself.

Other then that Gothitelle doesn't really fit anywhere. It's offensive capabilities aren't too great, it suffers the problem of a below decent movepool, and bulk.
Volt-Turn sees less usage in higher level play, where Gothitelle is most effective. It deserves B rank. - In response to user: the-bumper-car.
-> B
At first, I didn't think Shuckle should be ranked, but Mizuhime has changed my mind. It's the tier's best user of Sticky Web and isn't set-up bait, because of Encore. And it's very good at keeping it up (along with Stealth Rock).
Sticky Web Offense is viable, because of Shuckle - much like Politoed and Rain. The playstyle isn't the strongest, but it performs well against certain (common) team archetypes. I'm sure B- is the perfect rank for it.
-> B-
People are probably going to go off at me for this, but I don't think Galvantula should be ranked. It's entirely outclassed (even in something so niche) by Shuckle. Heck, even Smeargle is more effective, because it has the crippling Spore and Nuzzle.
-> Unranked

Last edited:
When did Shuckle get compoundeyes Thunder? Unlike Shuckle Galvantula can actually fight back. Doesn't necessarily make him a good mon, but Shuckle is worse imo. He just kind of sits there.
I know Galvantula is usually either too weak or too slow in most cases, but he's not completely worthless. He has a niche which deserves D Rank lowest.

Last edited:
When did Shuckle get compoundeyes Thunder? Unlike Shuckle Galvantula can actually fight back. Doesn't necessarily make him a good mon, but Shuckle is worse imo. He just kind of sits there.
Though it's an inferior. Shuckle can forgo Stealth Rocks, for a set like Sticky Web / Toxic / Infestation / Encore, to take out some threats as they are trapped, and sometimes being unable to do anything to Shuckle (depends on what they are Encored to).

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Excadrill for S-Rank

@
/

Sand Rush | Adamant
252 Atk | 252 Spd | 4 Def
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin / Swords Dance

I'm ranking Excadrill for S-Rank mainly because off how the metagame has changed, one off the most effective playstyles in the metagame by now is Sand Offense and the set I posted there is extremely effective and threathening, theres nearly nothing stopping Excadrill from sweeping late game. And nothing can stop it from spinning, this set is basically the same as it was running in it's BW days and is extremely effective. The reason why this set is so effective is because off Zard X + Thundurus-I spam, but also stuff like Mega-Pinsir and Talonflame can't stand against this. It's main selling points vs other fast setup sweepers is it's amazing typing letting it tank any priority bird attack as well as beeing one off the only late game/mid game sweepers that doesn't give a fuck about Thunderus T-Wave spam. It basically just demolishes HO by itself in sand and with Swords Dance it can easely beat bulkier teams as Clefable is demolished by Iron Head and Quagsire is 2hko'd after rocks by Earhtquake if you run Life Orb. The only support it need is Sand and something to deal with Azumarill, which can easely be packed up by Hippowdon, Tyranitar, Thundurus, Mega-Mawile etc. It has literally no flaws atm and therefore i'm convinced it should be S-Rank.

Volt-Turn sees less usage in higher level play, where Gothitelle is most effective. It deserves B rank. - In response to user: the-bumper-car.
-> B
At first, I didn't think Shuckle should be ranked, but Mizuhime has changed my mind. It's the tier's best user of Sticky Web and isn't set-up bait, because of Encore. And it's very good at keeping it up (along with Stealth Rock).
Sticky Web Offense is viable, because of Shuckle - much like Politoed and Rain. The playstyle isn't the strongest, but it performs well against certain (common) team archetypes. I'm sure B- is the perfect rank for it.
-> B-
People are probably going to go off at me for this, but I don't think Galvantula should be ranked. It's entirely outclassed (even in something so niche) by Shuckle. Heck, even Smeargle is more effective, because it has the crippling Spore and Nuzzle.
-> Unranked
Mega Pinsir is affected by the sticky web unless it is switching in mega evolved and the opposite can be said about Mega Charizard X. One nice thing about galvantula is that it is very difficult to pin down due to volt switch and a 108 speed. This allows Galvantula to easily volt switch out of many undesirable match-ups. And Galvantula has the uncanny ability to beat many defoggers 1 on 1 if defog is used on the opponents first turn after switching in.

252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 398-471 (93.8 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 289-343 (95.6 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 510-603 (152.6 - 180.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Thunder vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 191-226 (55.5 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Thunder vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Zapdos: 208-246 (54.3 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Latias: 190-226 (52.1 - 62%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The offensive pressure that Galvantula provides scares out many of these common defoggers most used sets. If your opponent defogs with any of these defoggers while Galvantula is on the field, Galvantula can KO and setup hazards later. Only Latios, Mega scizor, and Latias are able to KO Galvantula if they go on the offensive instead of defogging, however if this happens, galvantula has kept sticky web on the field and you can then switch to the appropriate counter to the current defogger.

Just reiterating my post from earlier that was essentially ignored. Shuckle adds nothing to a team except for hazards and it has the slowest and most useless encore in the entire game. Shuckle is also really easy to defog against. Shuckle cannot function at all without Bisharp, Thunderous or Milotic which cannot be said about Galvantula as Galvantula does really well against most common defoggers.

Just for reference, I've posted this same thing about 3 times now and it seems like people stop talking about Galvantula every time I post it. Maybe a lead on lead comparison between Shuckle and Galvantula is necessary to get my point across.

252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-D: 164-195 (53.9 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

or a more relevant calc

252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Deoxys-D: 211-250 (69.4 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

While Shuckle is completely shut down by taunt or sets up hazards for Deoxys D when Deoxys mirror coats. Shuckle is also completely worthless outside of hazards throughout a match except for maybe toxic if it stays alive long enough. Galvantula actually gives the king of all leads trouble as Deoxys is pressured to taunt or mirror coat to prevent sticky web and gets hit hard enough by bug buzz to allow something else that get's brought in by red card to KO .

Now I'm not trying to tell you all that Galvantula is this amazing Pokemon because it isn't, but I don't understand why anyone could think it is a bad Pokemon. It sets up a unique hazard and it has the ability to spam what essentially becomes a 120 BP discharge in Galvantula's hands. It provides enough offensive pressure to not allow its hazards to be defogged away instantly and taunting it could be a complete waste of a turn and a dead Poke. If everyone wants to move it down (which I still don't agree with), it should at least stay above the C- line as Galvantula is good at what it does even if the OU game isn't the best place for sticky web.

I'm ranking Excadrill for S-Rank mainly because off how the metagame has changed, one off the most effective playstyles in the metagame by now is Sand Offense and the set I posted there is extremely effective and threathening, theres nearly nothing stopping Excadrill from sweeping late game
Excadrill is stopped by basicly everything with some physical bulk, especially without Swords Dance its far to weak to actually sweep exept the whole opposing team is down to 50% life or less. Without Sandstorm it gets even worse as Excadrill has a horrible matchup against almost every mon from S to A- ranks, he cant take any hits because of his sub par defenses and his offensive potential is lackluster compared to other threats in the meta. Also by using Sand Rush your losing the ability to do anything about Rotom-W. The only reason for using Exadrill is Rapid Spin, for everything else there are better options.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Excadrill is stopped by basicly everything with some physical bulk, especially without Swords Dance its far to weak to actually sweep exept the whole opposing team is down to 50% life or less. Without Sandstorm it gets even worse as Excadrill has a horrible matchup against almost every mon from S to A- ranks, he cant take any hits because of his sub par defenses and his offensive potential is lackluster compared to other threats in the meta. Also by using Sand Rush your losing the ability to do anything about Rotom-W. The only reason for using Exadrill is Rapid Spin, for everything else there are better options.
Well you basically didn't read anything I wrote did you ? Why would you send Exca in against faster threaths when sand ain't up, and how hard is it to get sand up ? Smooth Rock Tyranitar or Smooth Rock Hippowdon, or even both, Sand support is incredibly easy because those mons who provides it are bulky enough to set it up again later in the game. Also there is basically nothing walling Excadrill late game, Rotom-W is easy to deal with, theres a reason theres 6 spots on a team not one, and I bet you havent even tried it ? Well I can say that much that Sand offense is going to become one of the new meta styles that will rule the tier. Also tell me something, why do you think Excadrill was banned last gen ? Sand Rush thats right, so don't tell me that Sand Rush Exca can't do shit lol because you have no idea apparently.

S rank clearly states that it's for pokemon that can sweep or wall significant portions of the meta game with little or no support. Excadrill needs a sand setter and then another pokemon to take on rotom for him. Something else to counter opposite weather setters like politoed and so on. I fail to see how that meets the guidelines.

Well you basically didn't read anything I wrote did you ? Why would you send Exca in against faster threaths when sand ain't up, and how hard is it to get sand up ? Smooth Rock Tyranitar or Smooth Rock Hippowdon, or even both, Sand support is incredibly easy because those mons who provides it are bulky enough to set it up again later in the game. Also there is basically nothing walling Excadrill late game, Rotom-W is easy to deal with, theres a reason theres 6 spots on a team not one, and I bet you havent even tried it ? Well I can say that much that Sand offense is going to become one of the new meta styles that will rule the tier. Also tell me something, why do you think Excadrill was banned last gen ? Sand Rush thats right, so don't tell me that Sand Rush Exca can't do shit lol because you have no idea apparently.
I did, dont worry. The thing is that in a match not everything is always running the way you want it to, there will be situations where your sand setter is dead or crippled so he cant switch in or what ever and in those situations Excadrill is more of a liability than anything else. Also as i have stated already, there is hardly any physical wall in the Meta that doesnt beat/wall Excadrill. Skarm, Mandi, Hippo, Venu (even in sand) you name them, if your assuming that none of them is still alive late game while Excadrill and your sand setter still is, yeah than your right. But that can be said about almost every mon. And yes I did try it quite alot, I had a Sand Storm team myself until recently, I deleted it because it wasnt all that good. Last gen weather was permanent that makes quite a bit of a difference, not to mention all the other changes that happened.

Last but not least, as Ender Wiggin mentioned, Excadrill doesnt fit the S Rank definition at all. He cant sweep significant portions of the meta, even with full support, without support even less. He is certainly not a wall and he cant fullfill multiple roles, the only one he is good at is Rapid Spinning.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
-> B
-> B-
-> Unranked
I like you, but out of curiosity, what did I, a doubles player, do to make you want to move Shuckle up (it's funny cause my forum name had Shuckle in it a long time ago)

Honestly, I feel as if Mega Gyarados should be placed in A+-Rank because it is huge threat at +1. It's really bulky, and somewhat hard to revenge kill because of this. Just for a quick calc, Scarf Keldeo cannot kill it at 100% health, Secret Sword never OHKOes (25% after SR however). Not to mention it's one of the few physical walls able to beat Mega Venusaur:
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 166-196 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
It's a phenomenal Pokemon that is truly hard to stop after a DD, it also can set up reliably thanks to Intimidate before it Mega Evolves.
My rocky helmet mandibuzz handles it easily at +1

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That's a pretty bold and rather inaccurate assumption. Sand Rush Excadrill has been seeing a steady rise recently in usage, and it shouldn't come to much of a surprise if you've been playing the metagame. Offense is arguably one of the most dangerous playstyles at the moment, and Sand Rush Excadrill has the ability to mow through these kinds of teams with the correct support because of how most of the common checks to standard Excadrill can potentially lose to an incredibly fast +2 Excadrill with EQ / Rock Slide / Iron Head. Sure you're losing out on the ability to clear hazards unless you want to run non SD Sand Rush Drill which is definitely viable, but it can't sweep as well as SD can obviously. Honestly who cares if you can't beat Rotom-W anymore, the metagame has adapted so well to beating that stupid washing machine that if you can't find another way to beat that thing without using Mold Breaker Excadrill, then there's a problem. Besides, it's not like Sand Rush Exca has to sweep and then die. All Exca really needs is 3 turns of Sand to deal a significant amount of damage to a team, switch out, and then repeat the process. It doesn't need to be paired with Smooth Stone Tyranitar or Hippo to be good.

Anyways, I do heavily disagree with Excadrill going to S rank. It's definitely a huge force in the metagame at the moment because of its ability to a large majority of the common spinblockers in OU, as well as its ability to become a potent sweeper in the sand. However, it does struggle to beat a good portion of the top tier threats in the metagame if not running Sand Rush such as Keldeo, Landorus, and Garchomp, it's pretty frail even with a decent defensive typing so it's pretty easy to revenge kill even with some forms of priority, and it does struggle against bulkier teams that carry multiple answers to it, such as Skarmory, Landorus-T, and Hippo. It's not nearly as impacting on the tier as Aegislash is, nor as versatile as Deoxys-S, or one of the best sweepers in the metagame like Zard-X, or arguably the best wallbreaker in the tier like Zard-Y. It's a good spinner and sweeper, but it doesn't have what it takes to be S-rank, because no matter what it does it's going to need a decent amount of support to be able to do what the S rank Pokes can.

I did, dont worry. The thing is that in a match not everything is always running the way you want it to, there will be situations where your sand setter is dead or crippled so he cant switch in or what ever and in those situations Excadrill is more of a liability than anything else. Also as i have stated already, there is hardly any physical wall in the Meta that doesnt beat/wall Excadrill. Skarm, Mandi, Hippo, Venu (even in sand) you name them, if your assuming that none of them is still alive late game while Excadrill and your sand setter still is, yeah than your right. But that can be said about almost every mon. And yes I did try it quite alot, I had a Sand Storm team myself until recently, I deleted it because it wasnt all that good. Last gen weather was permanent that makes quite a bit of a difference, not to mention all the other changes that happened.

Last but not least, as Ender Wiggin mentioned, Excadrill doesnt fit the S Rank definition at all. He cant sweep significant portions of the meta, even with full support, without support even less. He is certainly not a wall and he cant fullfill multiple roles, the only one he is good at is Rapid Spinning.
Jolly Scarfdrill makes a surprisingly good spinner and Revenge Killer in this meta. (at 453 Speed he outspeeds Char X at +1)

252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 226-268 (75.3 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 452-536 (151.6 - 179.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Manectric: 296-350 (105.3 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 308-366 (103.3 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 292-344 (107.3 - 126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 384-452 (138.1 - 162.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 234-276 (81.8 - 96.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 448-528 (150.3 - 177.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 176-208 (54.3 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 204-240 (67.5 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I'm not saying that he's an S-Rank threat but Monty Mole isn't a spinning slouch.

Excadrill is an amazing sand sweeper and a great spinner, but I really don't think S-rank is reasonable for it. Sand isn't permanent anymore, so it has limited time to setup and sweep. Not only that, but it requires some kind of weather setter meaning that to sweep it needs support and from at least one of two Pokemon that don't really help take out any of excadrill's checks. It is still phenomenal in the role of sweeper, but remember that swift swim was also banned to ubers last generation as well and that the top rain sweeper only has a B+ ranking on this viability thread (Kaputops). Excadrill is an amazing Pokemon that could maybe move up to A+, but I really don't think it is on par with the likes of Aegislash or either of the mega Charizard forms.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
I agree with what most people has been saying here, S-Tier was a bit off a push, but then again it works extremely well in todays meta especially under sand. I will then vote for at least an A+, because how it can deal with a lot off top tier threaths and also beeing an amazing spinner while doing all those tasks incredibly well which makes it pretty easy to slap him on a team. I know people might disagree with A+, but I think it's worthy off that now in how the meta goes for now. The meta will always change, new threaths rise others fall, and I think that the discussion in this thread should be more creative, but then again not gimmicky, creative can be a lot from different sets too other pokemon which can be discovered too be a force to be reckoned with in the metagame. A good example is Clefable, it got a new typing and has two amazing abilities, but it wasn't before months after xy ou before it really became a top threath, and there is still other mons to be discovered.

Weird how long it took sand offense to catch on, since it was strong back in the previous gens while it was around and one of the reasons Excadrill was banned, and it's not like Excadrill needs more than 5-8 turns to do serious hole punching. The thing about SO is that both auto-inducers are good standalone pokemon in their own right, unlike the other weather setters which are mediocre at best (Yard-Y only gives 5 turns and is demolished by SR, Ninetales is just... pretty bad, and Politoed isn't much better either). So yeah, looks like Excadrill moving to A+ is going to be a given.

Edit: And to those saying he's not Charizard X/Y or Aegislash level stuff... well, tbh he kinda can be more threatening than all 3 of those in sand. He automatically has +2 speed, and once he Swords Dances, he basically has +2/+2 in one turn, unlike Zard-X who only gets +1/+1 and generally needs support in order to be optimal due to his 4x SR weakness upon coming in, whereas Excadrill requires virtually no support at all as he 4x resists SR, and he only requires that you use one of 2 already excellent pokemon in the metagame, which can both set-up SR while they are at it and accomplish a great many other things. Furthermore, he can also use an item like Life Orb, pushing his attack even further above Charizard-X (who has a lower base Atk stat to begin with, too). And as has been said, he also resits a lot of forms of priority and can't be stopped in his tracks by Thundrus-I, a lot of things that sweepers dream of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)