Pokémon Hoopa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those calculations are meaningless. Guess what Rampardos can do exactly the same thing but he isn't used because he's slow as hell and has a horrible defense. Hoopa has a worse typing, is slow and gets taken out by the weakest of Dark moves, the most popular attacking type, and Knock Off the most popular attacking move. Have fun trying to do anything to offensive teams.
Oh so it's meaningless that a Pokemon can plow through OU while also taking hits in return? It's meaningless that Choice Specs Hoopa comes backed with so much power it is hard to wall? I fail to see how any of it is illogical, as Rampardos does not have anything in common with Hoopa. Hoopa does not have a bad typing for christ's sake, it has a 4x weakness to Dark and Ghost, which sucks, but people are forgetting it is also resists Poison and is immune to Normal and Fighting, which is pretty cool. Hoopa is 'slow' but is also as fast as Bisharp, which makes it by with its Speed. I'll have fun when the offensive teams fail to wall it after Sticky Web, and not every team is offensive. Oh, and Hoopa has teammates for its weaknesses.

Knock off is becoming more common on Azumarill, and

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 792-932 (217.5 - 256%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Shocking, isn't it?

Meanwhile, some other calculations...

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 367-433 (100.8 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 447-526 (122.8 - 144.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Choice Scarf 2HKOes, but Band OHKOs. Earthquake also OHKOs).

252 Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 456-540 (125.2 - 148.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Neither are switching into each other).

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 357-421 (98 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
(Very big chance to OHKO).

Hoopa may be able to beat many threats, but it is slow as fuck, and even if it does take out a threat, it will have taken so much damage that the next thing will be able to easily finish it off. While that doesn't mean it won't be decent in OU, it is outclassed to a certain extent by Aegislash, and if you don't like calling it "outclassed," then you hopefully will at least admit that it faces some pretty stiff competition from everyone's favorite ghostly sword.

Last edited:
Oh so it's meaningless that a Pokemon can plow through OU while also taking hits in return? It's meaningless that Choice Specs Hoopa comes backed with so much power it is hard to wall? I fail to see how any of it is illogical, as Rampardos does not have anything in common with Hoopa. Hoopa does not have a bad typing for christ's sake, it has a 4x weakness to Dark and Ghost, which sucks, but people are forgetting it is also resists Poison and is immune to Normal and Fighting, which is pretty cool. Hoopa is 'slow' but is also as fast as Bisharp, which makes it by with its Speed. I'll have fun when the offensive teams fail to wall it after Sticky Web, and not every team is offensive. Oh, and Hoopa has teammates for its weaknesses.
I don't get it. Can't Aegislash do the exact same thing except with better typing, ability and movepool?

Both can OHKO/2HKO most pokemon in OU. And it doesn't matter. That's the only point i was trying to make. That means nothing.

But for fun, comparing the two Hoopa has a worst typing than Rampardos. Has a worse movepool and STAB along with more common weaknesses. I can't actually see the difference to be honest. Hoopa has more switch in opportunies and can survive special attacks but has a worse typing. So i guess they're tied, both are garbage.

Knock off is becoming more common on Azumarill, and

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 792-932 (217.5 - 256%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Shocking, isn't it?

Meanwhile, some other calculations...

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 367-433 (100.8 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 447-526 (122.8 - 144.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Choice Scarf 2HKOes, but Band OHKOs. Earthquake also OHKOs).

252 Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 456-540 (125.2 - 148.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Neither are switching into each other).

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 357-421 (98 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
(Very big chance to OHKO).

Hoopa may be able to beat many threats, but it is slow as fuck, and even if it does take out a threat, it will have taken so much damage that the next thing will be able to easily finish it off.
How much does he take from Arcanine, Ambipom or Nidoking(pokemon it has a realistic chance of seing in a battle)? Specifically Ambipoms' U-Turn.

I don't get it. Can't Aegislash do the exact same thing except with better typing, ability and movepool?
Yeah, I even saw a specs Aegislash once, which I thought was dumb, but few things switch well on that either, and since specs on a (relatively) slow Pokemon is generally a hit and run strat, both aegislash (blade form) and hoopa (weak on physical side/ 4x weaknesses) may have trouble staying in after throwing out the shadow ball nuke and then facing the opponent's check, so I don't think Hoopa is much better (if any better) at specs than Aegislash. I obviously don't think specs is a good item on Aegislash, but I don't think hitting harder with Specs Hoopa than Life orb Aegislash for less versatility and bulk is a great tradeoff.

Last edited:
Just horrible... Being a ghost is nice, especially with that special attack... Then you realize it's also Psychic, the worst type in the game. Man what a waste. It gets the worst move of the 3, no will o wisp to patch its pathetic defense and is slow as hell... but wait for it.. not slow enough to be an effective Trick Room sweeper. But what really kills this thing is the 4x weakness to Dark. That is an instant killer in competitive battling. Singles i mean. It makes it weak to the best move in the game, the most used move in the game, the move every team has these days: Knock Off. Normally, Knock Off won't make you completely crappy(see Gengar or Aegislash) but this thing is 4x weak to it and has a horrendous base defense. This means this pokemon will never be a good defensive wall as even uninvested Knock Off will take it out(i need to check to see how much the weakest Knock Off does to it), but thanks to its crappy speed it can't effectively terrorize teams with it's immunities and special attack like gengar. This thing is easily the worst of the three. And that's saying a lot because Diance is one of the crappiest pokemon i've ever seen.
Several problems with this:

1)Psychic isn't the worst type in the game, Ice is. At least Psychic has a handy resistance to common Fighting-type attacks and less common Psychic-type ones. All Ice resists is itself, and it meanwhile carries several common weaknesses, including one to Stealth Rock.

2)Who says base 70 Spe is too fast for Trick Room? The only common Pokemon in OU that you can't underspeed with 0 IVs and a Quiet nature are Conkeldurr, Ferrothorn, and Quagsire (you speed tie with 0 Spe Hippowdon as well). You're more than slow enough to outspeed virtually everything on an offensive team, which are the main types of teams that Trick Room sets are good for in the first place.

3)Knock Off isn't the best move in the game. It's certainly amazing, but Stealth Rock is still the best move out there. Knock Off is also nowhere near as omnipresent as you're making it out to be. Besides, since when is being weak to Knock Off such a huge viability killer? Despite having half the weakness, Gengar isn't exactly surviving many Knock Offs, and Chansey is completely destroyed after it loses its Eviolite. Both are solid OU. Also, why on earth would you switch into or stay in on something that has Knock Off? It's not like Knock Off uses are hard to identify.

4)Base 70 Spe is nowhere near as terrible as you're making it out to be. Several Pokemon in OU have made do with the same speed or less, even frailer offensive ones like Breloom and Bisharp. Hoopa has more than enough speed to come in on one of many slower Pokemon and wreak havoc with its excellent power.

Also, when will people realize that this thing has the special bulk of Latias? Everyone keeps focusing on its low physical bulk as if it's the end of the world. Hoopa can take special hits like nobody's business, so take advantage of that. If you try to leave it in on powerful physical attacks, then you shouldn't be surprised if it can't tank them very well.

To be honest, the only thing I'm disapointed about is the ability. Whyyyyyy.

I guess Game Freak didn't want to give them better abilities. I hope Hoopa gets a saving grace somehow, be it a secondary form with better stats / abilities like Shaymin/Shaymin-S. It's got great potential, but it's just washed away because nobody likes the 4X dark weakness. What a shame.

1)Psychic isn't the worst type in the game, Ice is. At least Psychic has a handy resistance to common Fighting-type attacks and less common Psychic-type ones. All Ice resists is itself, and it meanwhile carries several common weaknesses, including one to Stealth Rock.

2)Who says base 70 Spe is too fast for Trick Room? The only common Pokemon in OU that you can't underspeed with 0 IVs and a Quiet nature are Conkeldurr, Ferrothorn, and Quagsire (you speed tie with 0 Spe Hippowdon as well). You're more than slow enough to outspeed virtually everything on an offensive team, which are the main types of teams that Trick Room sets are good for in the first place.

3)Knock Off isn't the best move in the game. It's certainly amazing, but Stealth Rock is still the best move out there. Knock Off is also nowhere near as omnipresent as you're making it out to be. Besides, since when is being weak to Knock Off such a huge viability killer? Despite having half the weakness, Gengar isn't exactly surviving many Knock Offs, and Chansey is completely destroyed after it loses its Eviolite. Both are solid OU. Also, why on earth would you switch into or stay in on something that has Knock Off? It's not like Knock Off uses are hard to identify.

4)Base 70 Spe is nowhere near as terrible as you're making it out to be. Several Pokemon in OU have made do with the same speed or less, even frailer offensive ones like Breloom and Bisharp. Hoopa has more than enough speed to come in on one of many slower Pokemon and wreak havoc with its excellent power.

Also, when will people realize that this thing has the special bulk of Latias? Everyone keeps focusing on its low physical bulk as if it's the end of the world. Hoopa can take special hits like nobody's business, so take advantage of that. If you try to leave it in on powerful physical attacks, then you shouldn't be surprised if it can't tank them very well.
I don't think Hoopa (with what we know about it) is unsalvageable, but I do think it's fair to say it's disappointing. It has about the same special bulk as Aegislash and the same spatk too, so it's hard not to compare when Psychic isn't as useful as a type as Steel is. The lack of physical bulk makes Aegislash also more appealing in that way, and it doesn't get reliable recovery or many useful resistances. I think sub + 3 attacks and the trick room sets can be fun, maybe even somewhat good in the hands of a good player, and at least it doesn't turn into blade forme. I think it has it's niche, just not a fantastic one that I can see yet or common one. I may eat my words since this is all theorymon though.

Edit: Apparently, Agent Gibbs just wanted to assert that Hoopa can hold its own weight in OU if players want to try and use it. I completely agree although I don't think it can be considered "good" in any sense atm.

Last edited:
Sure, it's disappointing compared to what it could have been, but the "Oh my gosh this thing is so unbelievably horrible lol TrollFreak" sort of posts are complete overstatements. Aegislash is probably better in general, but the fact that Aegislash is so amazing doesn't make Hoopa terrible. While it's probably outclassed for the most part, I don't see how it wouldn't be perfectly capable of pulling its own weight.

To be honest, the only thing I'm disapointed about is the ability. Whyyyyyy.

I guess Game Freak didn't want to give them better abilities. I hope Hoopa gets a saving grace somehow, be it a secondary form with better stats / abilities like Shaymin/Shaymin-S. It's got great potential, but it's just washed away because nobody likes the 4X dark weakness. What a shame.
Even something incredibly situational like Cursed Body would make Pokemon think twice about Knock-Off. (Think twice, but both for very short amounts of time as it fires it off gleefully for an easy KO)

Chesnaught convinced me that Hoopa isn't as bad as we all thought, however most people make good points: Aegislash is basically the same. Hoopa's not bad, just outclassed. I could see BL, actually.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Looking over Hoopa, it seems like this is more suited for doubles/triples. It is the bulkiest Pokemon that learns Ally Switch (hits like a truck too), functions well under Trick Room, and Hyperspace Hole is way better than Feint in popping those Protects.

The problem is that event mons are generally banned in Nintendo metas so it won't see much use in the environment it's meant for. I've never played Smogon doubles so I don't know what that's like. For singles, not just OU, I think that horse is beaten to death but a triple whammy of fragile, frail, and terrible defensive typing just don't cut it. Even in UU, Mew's stats are just better distributed unless you want to run Scarf Hoopa. This seems destined to be a victim of circumstances and doomed to non-use.

@above: Hoopa may have the same special bulk as Latias but lacks literally all of its other qualities: great defensive typing, speed, recovery, and sheer amount of utility options. It also has the same offensive spread as Mewtwo (minus 4 SpA), does that make them comparable when it lacks the rest of Mewtwo's qualities like speed, movepool, versatility, and ways to patch up mediocre defenses on both sides of the spectrum? BST =/= everything.

I checked:

252 Atk Life Orb Ambipom U-turn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 127-151 (42 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Ambipom U-turn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 126-149 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The first is a guaranteed 2hko after rocks. Man that's ugly. One of the best opportunities to come in and it loses almost half its' health.

252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 255-300 (70 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Although i could see this as a terror to teams who rely on weaker support pokemon or that don't hit too hard on the special side. The 70 speed is actually useful as it allows it to out speed most walls with minimal investment such as Bronzong, Registeel(although Focus Blast scares me a little), swampert etc.

I'll give you the Fighting resist, but is it worth being weak to Dark? It isn't. It may seem like i'm splitting hairs(both are bad i'll admit) but Psychic adds nothing offensively. While Ice is actually a pretty scary STAB. Then again the rock weakness. Pretty close. Too close to say for sure.

Fine.

I might have changed that in my other posts, need to check. I meant attacking move. This is what i meant. Gengar is fast meaning it doesn't fear Knock Off while Aegi can take a couple. Heck even Chansey remains useful. This thing is slow and dies to KO. And it's important because a lot of what it can switch into it can learn the move(one of the reasons why it's such a great move, almost every pre gen 6 pokemon gets it)

The two pokemon you named have incredibly stupid(annoying) niches. This thing has nothing going for it. Its immunities aren't a niche. Every ghost has them. What does this guy do that Gengar can't? It is completely outclassed in OU.

Latias also has 110 speed. If Latias had 70 speed it'd be worse than ALtaria.

And it's important because a lot of what it can switch into it can learn the move(one of the reasons why it's such a great move, almost every pre gen 6 pokemon gets it)
Here's a complete list of the Pokemon with at least 3% usage that carry Knock Off at least 10% of the time according to last month's 1760 stats:

Bisharp: Hoopa should never be switching in on this thing in the first place.
Scizor: Shouldn't be switching into this either. Still, it can outspeed slower Scizors and do a ton with a Specs Shadow Ball while surviving even a CB Bullet Punch.
Landorus-T: Again, Hoopa wouldn't want to switch into this one either. Kinda like Scizor in that Hoopa can outspeed and KO slower variants with a little prior damage, though.
Thundurus: This is one that Hoopa will actually want to try to take hits from, but only the special versions, which rarely run Knock Off. It's the physical variants that you have to watch out for, which Hoopa should avoid in general.
Azumarill: Again, another physical attacker that Hoopa shouldn't try to take hits from in the first place.
Conkeldurr: Admittedly, Knock Off makes Conkeldurr much riskier to switch into, but it still easily outspeed and KO with Psychic or Psyshock.
Gliscor: There are way better switch-ins to Gliscor than Hoopa. It would probably lose to Gliscor even without the Knock Off weakness due to SubToxic.
Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz makes a name for itself by switching into Ghosts easily, so needless to say, Hoopa doesn't have much business switching into her either. On the bright side, Specs Focus Blast 2HKOs and Specs Thunderbolt has a shot at OHKOing.
Mega Mawile: Physical attacker blah blah blah.
Deoxys-S: Here's one that Hoopa would love to switch into, and Knock Off hurts that (although it's still only used on 1/4 of all Deoxys-S).

Of all of those, most of them are physical attackers or defensive Pokemon that would probably beat Hoopa 1-on-1 even without Knock Off. Deoxys-S is the only one that Hoopa might be able to switch into easily outside of Knock Off. I guess Conkeldurr counts too, but Hoopa still takes a big chunk of damage from Ice Punch or Stone Edge on the switch to begin with.

The two pokemon you named have incredibly stupid(annoying) niches. This thing has nothing going for it. Its immunities aren't a niche. Every ghost has them. What does this guy do that Gengar can't? It is completely outclassed in OU.
Sure, it's outclassed. I won't argue against that. But everybody's acting like it's completely awful, which it isn't. As for things it has over Gengar, it hits a lot harder and doesn't have nearly as bad defenses. Plus, it has STAB Psyshock to blow right past the pink blobs and Sylveon on offensive sets.

Latias also has 110 speed. If Latias had 70 speed it'd be worse than ALtaria.
Lol, even then it would still be way better than Altaria due to its much higher bulk and far greater power. Besides, that wasn't the point. The point is that you can't look at such great special bulk and still complain about how bad Hoopa's defenses are.

EDIT:

@above: Hoopa may have the same special bulk as Latias but lacks literally all of its other qualities: great defensive typing, speed, recovery, and sheer amount of utility options. It also has the same offensive spread as Mewtwo (minus 4 SpA), does that make them comparable when it lacks the rest of Mewtwo's qualities like speed, movepool, versatility, and ways to patch up mediocre defenses on both sides of the spectrum? BST =/= everything.
You're completely missing the point. No one's trying to say that Hoopa is as good as Latias, or even that they're comparable. I'm only using it as an example to demonstrate how good its special bulk is. It's merely response to comments about how bad its bulk is when, in reality, it's actually impressively bulky on the special side.

Last edited:
How would a SubCM set work on this guy? He has the coverage, power and bulk to pull it off but the typing is ass.

Hoopa @ Leftovers
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SAtk / 252 HP
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Seems like it is pretty good on paper, those weaknesses are killer tho.

This thing DOES get Trick, so I can see a Scarf/Specs set with Trick working perfectly. Hyperspace Hole might not be that bad of STAB on it either, though Psyshock could probably be prefered instead. Either way, Hoopa's pretty good, it's just there's alot of things that scare it, but it could try and deal with them effectively.

lots of calcs
Wow, this actually makes me feel a lot better about Hoopa. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I love using Trick Room teams so I can easily see myself using Hoopa, but those calcs make me think it might be of more use than I'd first thought.

Still disappointed with it's ability though.

"It gathers things it likes and pushes them through its loop to teleport them to a secret place."
"This troublemaker sends anything and everything to faraway places using its loop, which can warp space."

Hey Game Freak, this isn't a Prankster why exactly?

This thing has a shot at being OU, but just some more calculations against the top threats of UU.

252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 409-483 (112.3 - 132.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa: 456-540 (125.2 - 148.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Heracross Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 289-342 (79.3 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 373-439 (102.4 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It does KO most of those threats though, and can outspeed in Trick Room, so it looks like it'll be fine.

So for a Hoopa set, here's what I'm thinking:

Hoopa @ Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 60 Spd / 252 SAtk / 196 HP
Modest Nature
- Substitute/Destiny Bond
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

I think a Sub-3 Attacking set is actually a really good option for Hoopa, as it allows it to have an easier time dealing with Pursuit users. Meanwhile, Destiny Bond can be used to force a 1-for-1 exchange on any Pokemon who feels the need to Pursuit you anyway. Leftovers is the primary item choice for the Sub set, as otherwise you wearyourself out too quickly, while Life Orb and Destiny Bond go together quite well. 60 Spd EV's ensure you always outspeed minimum speed Heatran and 2HKO with Focus Blast (252+ SpA Hoopa Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 222-262 (57.5 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery). However, the Spd EV's are quite adjustable; a spread of 86 Spd / 252 SAtk / 170 HP allows you to outspeed Megasaur and 2HKO with Psychic STAB, while you can opt to not run any HP at all and simply go max Speed/SpAtk to force the speed-tie with Adamant Bisharp (alternatively, if you're willing to accept a drop in power, a spread of 172 Spd / 252 SAtk / 84 HP with a Timid nature ensures you outspeed Adamant Bisharp all the time, allowing you to either Sub or DBond in his face).

I would like to see the following set on Hoopa.

Hoopa @ Lum Berry/Sitrus Berry
252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Mild Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Punch
-Substitute
-Psyshock

Mixed set designed to do good against stall teams- you can safely switch into anything from mons like blissey/chansey due to immunities to seismic toss and status, and proceed to set up sub. Lum berry means you have the free turn to get up a sub without being statused, (whereas sitrus allows you to lose your item whenever you wish due to substitute) and afterwards a strong set of moves will help you break whatever is in front of you. Sub cushions your 4x weaknesses too, which is important and almost a necessity. If you can switch into status, you will gain the additional tool of being able to steal an item back from the enemy- and with a mixed set you dont suffer too much from stealing an item such as choice band.. albeit likely for only one turn. Specs hoopa seems like a good set too, and will probably be the standard, but I think this is its best shot at being a mixed attacker.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just horrible... Being a ghost is nice, especially with that special attack... Then you realize it's also Psychic, the worst type in the game. Man what a waste. It gets the worst move of the 3, no will o wisp to patch its pathetic defense and is slow as hell... but wait for it.. not slow enough to be an effective Trick Room sweeper. But what really kills this thing is the 4x weakness to Dark. That is an instant killer in competitive battling. Singles i mean. It makes it weak to the best move in the game, the most used move in the game, the move every team has these days: Knock Off. Normally, Knock Off won't make you completely crappy(see Gengar or Aegislash) but this thing is 4x weak to it and has a horrendous base defense. This means this pokemon will never be a good defensive wall as even uninvested Knock Off will take it out(i need to check to see how much the weakest Knock Off does to it), but thanks to its crappy speed it can't effectively terrorize teams with it's immunities and special attack like gengar. This thing is easily the worst of the three. And that's saying a lot because Diance is one of the crappiest pokemon i've ever seen.
It also has the exact same Speed as Bisharp, so you either always run Max Speed Timid to try to at least Speed tie (if it decides to Knock Off instead of Sucker Punch on a mispredicted switch) or you're fucked if one switches in safely.

I was really hoping this thing would get Recover. With Focus Blast and STAB Shadow Ball Hoopa would deal with the most common Pursuit Trappers better than (the most definitely OU viable) Latios, primarily Tyranitar, Bisharp and Aegislash. Without recovery though, this thing will probably just end up being an inferior Aegislash.

Move tutors can't come soon enough.

I always hated how Focus Blast allows Pokemon to get past TTar that have no right doing so. It should become a 60 Acc move like Hypnosis in DPP. It's all or nothing. Plus TTar needs the buff.

Why would Recover be a tutor move? Unless i'm reading that post above all wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)