Smeargle @ Focus sash
ability : own tempo
evs : 252 hp / 252 spe / 4 spD
nature : Timid
- shell smash
- substitute
- spore
- baton pass

A very effective set that i have been using to great success. Don't set up on the first turn please. Gorebyss doesn't have spore, smeargle is better at this imo. I normally pass to nidoking (read overkill) as it does not have to worry about priority thunder wave and doesn't give a fuck about w-o-w. Hazard control is necessary, so mega-toise and donphan are good teammates. Also, mega absol is scary.
Currently on phone but will post replays once i have access to my laptop. And, long live SMEARGLE :-D

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
Jolly Nature
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
- Switcheroo
- Spore / Dark Void
- Parting Shot
- Destiny Bond

With this full-on utility set, Smeargle functions well as an annoying saboteur. Under the right circumstances and usage, he can inflict Sleep status, cripple walls with Scarfed Switcheroo, and nab a surprise KO with Destiny Bond. A great addition to this set is Parting Shot allowing him to gain momentum which also comes along with the added effect of lowering the opponent's offenses upon switching out. This in turn can provide safer opportunities for Pokemon to come in, or for them to set-up for a potential sweep.

Last edited:
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Nuzzle
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

This set is the standard hazard setting set with a small twist. Some of Smeargle's problem is being weak to Taunt and its hazards may be removed easily without smart playing. Nuzzle is a cool move that slows down the opponent and isn't shut down by Taunt, rendering certain responses for Smeargle like Taunt Crobat, Houndoom etc useless for the match while Smeargle has its sash inacted and can set up hazards later. Even the opponent attacked, they will be paralyzed and Smeargle can set up hazards on their face. Usually many faster spinners or defoggers like Starmie and speedier Mew like to switch into smearle and remove hazards since it is pretty hard to spin/defog under a HO team's offensive pressure. With Nuzzle + boom, they will be nailed at the switch and fail to remove hazards and is forced out by the next team member easily.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Parting Shot
- Sticky Web
- Spikes

Your standard hazard stacking Smeargle, except with Parting Shot. Spore + Parting Shot is basically free momentum, and the better part is you get to bring a teammate in for free to setup its boosts. Grass-type switch ins are also usually easy to predict and that can be used as a free turn or Parting Shot. Sticky Web is listed because it's one of the most useful entry hazards for offensive teams and allows powerful wallbreakers, such as Mega Houndoom, to do well vs stall and offense alike. the added benefit is slowing down opponents for a faster Spore, even if that rarely happens. Even though I listed Sticky Web and Spikes, the last two slots can be easily filled with a move of your choice, such as other suicide moves, Rapid Spin, Defog, or even any entry hazard that your team is lacking. The advantage this set has over Wobblebuns is that you get to switch moves without having to Trick your Scarf and having the benefit of both Parting Shot as well as Smeargle's usual duties in one set.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- King's Shield / Magic Coat
- Geomancy
- Spore
- Baton Pass

It's a SmashPass set, but with a twist. Spore anything they lead with, although if they bring out a physical attacker & you suspect they're just going to try take you out, King's Shield for the Attack drop to force them out, then Spore whatever comes in. You can run Magic Coat over King's Shield if you're more worried about Taunters/hazard setters, but it has the same effect in that it will force them out. If done right, you've just forced 2 switches. Then Geomancy on the switch, get the boosts on the turn they break your sash, & then Baton Pass to a special attacker. The absence of a Power Herb is mitigated by putting something to sleep so you have a free turn to use Geomancy as they switch out, & it's just far too risky to not use Sash. Of course, priority & Scarfers will ruin the plan, so put the priority user/Scarfer to sleep if they bring it out, or you can take out those threats first & preserve Smeargle & your boost receiver for a late-game sweep if you think that will be a problem. This also has the added bonus of bluffing a Smeargle lead.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- King's Shield / Magic Coat
- Geomancy
- Spore
- Baton Pass

It's a SmashPass set, but with a twist. Spore anything they lead with, although if they bring out a physical attacker & you suspect they're just going to try take you out, King's Shield for the Attack drop to force them out, then Spore whatever comes in. You can run Magic Coat over King's Shield if you're more worried about Taunters/hazard setters, but it has the same effect in that it will force them out. If done right, you've just forced 2 switches. Then Geomancy on the switch, get the boosts on the turn they break your sash, & then Baton Pass to a special attacker. The absence of a Power Herb is mitigated by putting something to sleep so you have a free turn to use Geomancy as they switch out, & it's just far too risky to not use Sash. Of course, priority & Scarfers will ruin the plan, so put the priority user/Scarfer to sleep if they bring it out, or you can take out those threats first & preserve Smeargle & your boost receiver for a late-game sweep if you think that will be a problem. This also has the added bonus of bluffing a Smeargle lead.
I don't understand why you wouldn't just use the standard SmashPass over this. It's basically the same boosts but you get the added option to pass to physical attackers. The defense drops hardly matter for SmashPass because the idea is Smash -> Spore -> free BP while your set requires the baton pass recipient to have to take a hit switching in. Plus, this would fail if the opponent simply attacks on the first turn and breaks the sash, or if the opponent switches to their Sleep Talker or Grass-type, which aren't uncommon ways to deal with Smeargle

Could you explain some benefits of using Geomancy over Shell Smash?

The only reason to run geomancy over quiver dance is if you're running power herb to boost quicker. 2 Quiver dances gives the same boost as 1 geomancy and it takes the same amount of time, with the added bonus of being able to change your moves if something unexpected happens.

I don't understand why you wouldn't just use the standard SmashPass over this. It's basically the same boosts but you get the added option to pass to physical attackers. The defense drops hardly matter for SmashPass because the idea is Smash -> Spore -> free BP while your set requires the baton pass recipient to have to take a hit switching in. Plus, this would fail if the opponent simply attacks on the first turn and breaks the sash, or if the opponent switches to their Sleep Talker or Grass-type, which aren't uncommon ways to deal with Smeargle

Could you explain some benefits of using Geomancy over Shell Smash?
Well Geomancy gives you the +2 SpD boost over SmashPass, but I wouldn't have posted a set with Shell Smash over Geomancy because it's a set already. The premier Pokémon in the tier right now, Florges, is a lot easier to deal with after a Geomancy boost. But King's Shield can scout for someone who wants to attack you straight away, even better if it's a physical attacker, because 9 times out of 10, they'd switch when at -2. If people really don't see the merit of it, then I'm happy to try come up with something else.

Last edited:
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 HP / 8 Def
Jolly Nature
- Spiky Shield / Magic Coat
- Shift Gear
- Spore / Dark Void
- Baton Pass

So pretty much all Smeargle is good at is setting up hazards and passing boosts so this will be yet another boosting set. The problem is that, I got in a bit late so everyone got all of the relatively standard Smeargle sets but luckily no one had taken this set yet.Ever since Generation 5, the generation that took boosting moves to a whole new level, Smeargle has been one of the premier abusers. Smash pass and Quiver pass are two strategies that have conquered every ladder from NU to Ubers and at the heart of all of this, has been this little painter. However, one of the moves introduced benefited the all but forgotten physical attackers, a move that not only raised the attack by one stage but also the speed by two. The move I am about and the crux of this set, Shift Gear. The one problem that I have with using Smeargle as a SmashPass administrator is that it absolutely needs Sash to guarantee it's boost, but also would really benefit from having a White Herb due to the drop in Defenses (granted you can run White Herb on the mon receiving but I hope i'm not the only one that thinks that fucking White Herb Nidoking is an awful idea n_n). QuiverPass is the same deal, even at +1, pretty much every common Scarfer in the tier is going to be beating you down before you can get off a pass. So why not Shift Gear, it lets me outspeed every relevant scarfer up to the infamous ScarfKou after a single boost, without having to face the fact whatever i'm bringing in is more than likely going to get raped by an attack and becoming extremely susceptible to priority. Shift gear takes advantage of a lot of the wonderful physical attackers that the UU tier has to offer, namely the fire types but not limited to other things like Heracross, Flygon, Honchkrow, Krookodile, Medicham, Crobat and hell even Machamp or Rhyperior could look pretty potent with a couple of boosts under it's belt.

Moving onto the set, Protect Spiky Shield over Kings Shield because I want to be protected from all the bullshit, not just attacking moves. I only just found out today that Tyranitar actually gets Thunder Wave, so I don't want to be taking any chances with random Thunder Waves raining on my parade. Protect Spiky Shield is also there for mons that like to lead and try to fuck with the Sash. AND YES I'M LOOKING DIRECTLY AT YOU AMBIPOM YOU LITTLE MONKEY SHIT. Mienshao is a weasel fuck too who tries to ruin poor Smeargle so yeah protect is there for that :]. Magic Coat also plays a mindgame with Venomoth but that's probably not the best idea and if they do have a Venomoth, I would recommend not leading with your Smeargle. Spore/Dark Void depending on if you're real/really badly need the pass for the team to function or if you have based luck on your side all the time and don't mind hitting a Dark Void. Baton pass, cause well, it's very hard to pass a boost to another mon without Baton Passing it. Obviously, Taunt fucks with Smeargle so Magic Coat can be used over Protect Spiky Shield but really it's the lesser of two evils. Do you want to get beaten by Taunt or by Lead Fake Out mons; it's up to you. Overall, this set is really good and honestly a pretty underrated one in today's meta given how good the Physical Attackers are and how lackluster most of the Physical Walls are.

But yeah, that concludes my novel :] I hope you like the set!

Edit: Standard EVs, you can change them to other spreads in order to take certain hits better but Max Speed and Max HP I find is pretty much all you need.

Edit Edit: Forget about Spiky Shield, thanks Mahmudkipz :]

Last edited:
I don't understand why don't you guys run Spikey Shield over Protect. King's Shield I understand as it doesn't block status, but Spikey Shield is basically a straight upgrade to Protect with the bonus of damaging opponent if they choose to use a contact move like Giga Drain Draining Kiss, Fake Out or U-turn.

Edit: Derp, wrong name lulz

Last edited:
I don't understand why do't you guys run Spikey Shield ovee Protect. King's Shield I understand as it doesn't block status, bu Spikey Shield is basically a straight upgrade to Protect with the bonus of damaging opponent if they choose to use a contact move like Giga Drain, Fake Out or U-turn.
Since when did Giga drain make contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)