Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
Because DPPt UU is a fan favorite amongst many, while no-one, absolutely no-one, gives a shit about ADV UU or whatever other old gens UU. Go to PO if you wanna play those.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would absolutely love an option to make the backgrounds slowly rotate through the sequence. They are all so beautiful and I always check for the new one and I just wish they would slowly shift through so you can go do a battle and the background is different when you get back.

I have a suggestion regarding accounts and chat banning. It appears that anyone under the same IP when someone is banned from chatting is also banned. While this rule makes sense considering there is no way to prove whether or not a user is the same user that was banned for whatever reason, it hurts others on the same IP who may not have had anything to do with the event. This is especially important because a large portion of Pokemon fans are teenagers and young adults (people who would be likely to be at a high school or college campus, for instance), and it seems unfair to hold someone responsible for another person's actions (under the circumstances that everyone is of equal ranking wherever they are ie: this isn't the same as a father being responsible for a child). I think that making accounts should be a bit more detailed, perhaps requiring that people connect their accounts to emails. While not fullproof by any means, having an account connected to an email slows down and slightly hinders those who would spam and break rules in a chat who might wish to do so again, which may help deter spammers. This would not only help keep away repeat offenders, but those who have accounts might feel less willing to break the rules, as their account will be connected to their email address.

EDIT: Forgive me if I'm speaking out of line here by speaking about banning and such. Also please forgive me if this has already been mentioned. I'm rather new to all this.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Responding to like a month's worth of suggestions and stuff...

First and foremost...
Re: Multi Battles... NOT HAPPENING SOON

Hey, I understand that this is unlikely to ever be implemented but I thought it'd be an interesting idea to consider or discuss if it has not been already (I don't think it has? I might be mistaken) but has the implementation of PRD (pseudo-random distribution) been ever considered as a mechanic?

This article explains it better than I can: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Pseudo-random_distribution

Admittedly the implementation would mean abandoning 'true' probability, but the trade off is it makes the game less luck based and makes probability based moves more consistent (to paraphrase the article). I understand that this could be unpopular as many people believe that the luck is integral, and I don't deny that, and equally many strategies would be affected by this, but I nonetheless thought it would be an interesting concept to be considered. Even if it is ultimately dismissed.

I hope I've provided some food for thought (I also hope I've made this suggestion in the right place)

Many thanks and happy battling!
We try to stay as true to the game's PRNG as we can. Not completely there yet cause it has some silly behavior and I'm probably the only one who cares enough about it but I don't have time to devote to it yet. :p (Seriously why would you roll a random number for an effect with 100% chance of happeing... Game Freak :mad:)

Hey PS Staff, i'm sorry if this has been suggested before.

We have the ability to look at current matches being played based on tier, and I think that's wonderful. However, unless you see a name you recognize, it's impossible to know the 'quality' of a battle. It would be cool to see matches listed based on player rating. I don't know how difficult this would be, but I think it would be very useful.
I like this idea but it is not feasible yet. Ladder server is heavily loaded already.

I have a suggestion regarding accounts and chat banning. It appears that anyone under the same IP when someone is banned from chatting is also banned. While this rule makes sense considering there is no way to prove whether or not a user is the same user that was banned for whatever reason, it hurts others on the same IP who may not have had anything to do with the event. This is especially important because a large portion of Pokemon fans are teenagers and young adults (people who would be likely to be at a high school or college campus, for instance), and it seems unfair to hold someone responsible for another person's actions (under the circumstances that everyone is of equal ranking wherever they are ie: this isn't the same as a father being responsible for a child). I think that making accounts should be a bit more detailed, perhaps requiring that people connect their accounts to emails. While not fullproof by any means, having an account connected to an email slows down and slightly hinders those who would spam and break rules in a chat who might wish to do so again, which may help deter spammers. This would not only help keep away repeat offenders, but those who have accounts might feel less willing to break the rules, as their account will be connected to their email address.

EDIT: Forgive me if I'm speaking out of line here by speaking about banning and such. Also please forgive me if this has already been mentioned. I'm rather new to all this.
Email would require us to enforce COPPA, also repeat offenders shouldn't have too much problem creating multiple emails. Best I could do is ask mods to lock before banning but sometimes banning is just faster for really bad offenses.

I don't know if this has been suggested before but a ladder where there is no rank. This will allow trainers to use their fav pokes in whatever way they want and people could also test their teams here.
Yes this has been suggested (by a super mod or admin w/e antar is). Last I checked the implementation was still being discussed.

Can something be done about the Mega-Evolution button?
As it stands right now it's really not intuitively placed, and is easy to miss... especially in doubles formats when you're juggling multiple decisions in the same turn. For the lack of ideas I'd suggest something closer to the in-game move button layout with mega-evolution placed as a fifth selectable/unselectable big old button in the second row centered or something.
Yea a mega-evolution button would be cool but someone will have to find a way to make it look decent and not cluttered. (i tried, i failed, i suck at GUI anyway .cry and I think sandz tried too). An actual button is on the list but it is pretty low prio considering it doesnt affect play (just make sure you pick the right thing). although my ideal confirmation system wouldn't have this problem >.>

Nahh I mean in the Replays library, when you want to look for a battle that has a certain Pokemon you want to see, you could find it faster with a Pokemon Search option (currently there are only Format or User search option). The /data command is only used in the simulator and that's not what I meant
I mean, sorry, a suggestion for the Replays :P
Yea, this is a nice idea ( '-')b. I'd like a more complex searching function for replays entirely.

Not sure if this has been suggested but when viewing an uploaded match would it be possible to mouse-over a Pokemon to view their stats, moves, evs and ivs? Just a suggestion.
I don't see this being added anytime soon. The team's data would have to be logged in the replay and that's just unnecessary clutter for replaying a log file. Also we would get soooooo much hell for "team scouting", we would be the Pokecheck of Smogon

I would love some better options to organize teambuilder, making some sorting options like organizing teams by tier, or even just a swap mechanic similar to the already implemented option that allows us to move pokemon around to what slot we would like them in the team. Also, I would love to see a return of sprites as an option, and yes I know about the no animations option, I mean the animated moving sprites with animated attacks. The sprites still all exist, they've already been made, so this should be an easy thing to implement as well.

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus

IP's are banned, not users, so you can't ban one without the other essentially

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Could you maybe make tabs for teams made before and after generation 6 was started in both the teambuilder and the team selection tab? It would be incredibly helpful for people with large numbers of teams (such as me - 169 and counting (don't judge me))

Hi guys. I am not sure if this was suggested in here before and if it is my apologies, but here is my idea.

I believe it would be amazing if PS had an option to make random teams from the teams you have already. It would be something as:
1. Click the tier you like.
2. Click Randomize Team option.
And afterwards, the system would pick each of the 6 Pokemon at random. The picking would be from teams that YOU have at the moment for the selected tier.

I believe the coding involved will not be such a hard thing; not sure how PS works because I have not checked that, but it would be along the lines of checking the list of teams from the user, check if is from the selected tier, running throught it, then with 1 instance of each team in it you can send it as paramether to a randomizing function that can pick (from 1 to 6) a member of the sent team and return the pokemon object selected, you then add that returned pokemon object to a newly made instance of team and in the end that newly made instance of team is what you will use for the battles, or something like that.

Not sure if to include battles like that on the laddering system, but that is the raw idea. Thoughts?

HELLO EVERYONE!
SO I JUST NOTICED ONE THING IN PARTICULAR THAT i WOULD LIKE TO TALK ABOUT. cOULD WE APPLY THE MULTIPLE ITEM CLAUSE? IT'S ILLEGAL IN REAL TOURNAMENT PLAY. OR AM I JUST MISSING SOMETHING AND YOU GUYS ALREADY HAVE A BATTLE TYPE FOR THAT? IM REALLY TIRED OF SEEING LEFTOVERS ON EVERY POKEMON. NOT THAT I CAN'T DEAL WITH IT BUT REALLY? THANKS

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
HELLO EVERYONE!
SO I JUST NOTICED ONE THING IN PARTICULAR THAT i WOULD LIKE TO TALK ABOUT. cOULD WE APPLY THE MULTIPLE ITEM CLAUSE? IT'S ILLEGAL IN REAL TOURNAMENT PLAY. OR AM I JUST MISSING SOMETHING AND YOU GUYS ALREADY HAVE A BATTLE TYPE FOR THAT? IM REALLY TIRED OF SEEING LEFTOVERS ON EVERY POKEMON. NOT THAT I CAN'T DEAL WITH IT BUT REALLY? THANKS
We have already discusused about this and decided against enforcing it.

shotgun37

Banned deucer.
i suggest turn off battle chat button and a button also so the battles private and only you and you opponent can see it i want this because annoying people can turn up in your battles.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
i suggest turn off battle chat button and a button also so the battles private and only you and you opponent can see it i want this because annoying people can turn up in your battles.
You can enable the "ignore spectators" button in the options when you enter a battle and/or when they show up. It doesn't stop them from joining, but it won't show you what they say.

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
In addition to above players have been given the ability to enable modchat + in their battles, however if the other player disagree's with you doing this action he/she can undo it.

But I've yet to encounter any issues with it.

I suggest two things:

A) A visible indicator that shows when an account is 'Auto-Confirmed' or not in the 'account settings' part.

B) Nick names that have not been used for the past 8 months+ are unblocked and allowed to be used again

B) Nick names that have not been used for the past 8 months+ are unblocked and allowed to be used again
Although this seems nice to have, many names are registered for a reason. Some to prevent impersonation, some are just people's previous accounts. It would be pretty unfair just to delete their existence.

Although this seems nice to have, many names are registered for a reason. Some to prevent impersonation, some are just people's previous accounts. It would be pretty unfair just to delete their existence.
While you are totally correct, some usernames (Dan, Dranke, kek) have probably been taken when the servers starts, and I wouldn't be surprised if any of them have been online in the past 6 months, rendering them pretty much useless.

One of the main reasons why I think this is a good idea, is because sooner or later, there is going to be a time when certain usernames will not be able to be used without numbers because of the sheer amount of people creating alts.

If somebody hasn't been online for over a year, I don't find it unfair that they loose their account name.

While you are totally correct, some usernames (Dan, Dranke, kek) have probably been taken when the servers starts, and I wouldn't be surprised if any of them have been online in the past 6 months, rendering them pretty much useless.

One of the main reasons why I think this is a good idea, is because sooner or later, there is going to be a time when certain usernames will not be able to be used without numbers because of the sheer amount of people creating alts.

If somebody hasn't been online for over a year, I don't find it unfair that they loose their account name.
What if the user, say, had been on hiatus? Imagine coming back from a holiday to find that your name has been taken. I think that'd be quite unfair, and would then just simply cause confusion and upset.

My only suggestion would be making the Showdown accounts more personal. At least adding an email to these accounts.

It'd most certainly stop the disgusting amount of spam accounts there are, using up many names as mentioned above. When I'm in chat I rarely ever see anyone with more battles than I have (using the /rank feature) and I've only been playing Showdown for a month or so (500+ battles total currently). I just don't see any productivity, or growth within the Showdown community if so little emphasis is put on each account. You're also leaving the door wide open for trolls to walk in and have their fun spamming random crap, such as the recent League of Legends spammers. Just my two cents though.

Thank you,

-JFrost

Ninety Nine

What if the user, say, had been on hiatus? Imagine coming back from a holiday to find that your name has been taken. I think that'd be quite unfair, and would then just simply cause confusion and upset.
Something such as that can be easily remedied by increasing the time limit. While I believe 8 months is a fair amount of time you may scale the time limit up or down using better judgement but the fact still remains that if someone was on hiatus it isn't difficult to log in once to make sure your name is safe and then go back to said hiatus. Frankly that responsibility is minuscule on the players part. If your not active in a period of 5 months + it really begs the question, are you ever coming back? Whereas logging in to reset the timer is very easy to do so a time limit for accounts should be implemented in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)