My First UU

Before i begin, i haven't played pokemon since B/w so i'm still getting use to X/Y. This was the first team i've made and hopefully you guys can help fix a few things if needed. I'm worried that some of my ev's are wrong but Let's do this!

Kingdra @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 2 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam

This is the nuker of the team. With the ability, (Sniper), Holding Scope lens and going with Focus energy is basically a 100% crit with whatever move i use and as a result, 1 hitko. I've got Draco meteor as my main move, Ice beam and Signal beam as coverage in case draco won't 1 do as much.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- V-create
- Psyshock

Jirachi and Amoonguss use to be here but it just did not work out like victini with the multiple moves that it can use. Choice Scarf should let me attack first most of the time and i can use this as a counter in case a grass type move will hit my other pokes. Bolt-Strike is to defeat water types, U-turn in case i get in trouble, V-Create is my nuke move and Psyshock against Ghost types.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 SDef
- Recover
- Clear Smog
- Infestation
- Earth Power

Gastrodon is the troll/tanky pokemon of the team while giving it electric immunity and absorbing water. Giving it infestation will stop the trainer from swapping while doing damage at the same time. Recover is used to heal with leftovers and Earth Power as my main nuke attack. I've got clear smog here as i've noticed a lot of people are trying to increase their stats which makes this move come in handy.

Electivire @ Assault Vest
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop

In case someone tries to use an electric move on my other pokes, i like to have this in my party as the ability motor drive will increase it's speed while having 317 speed with evs. I've got Thunder and Ice Punch to stop dragon and water types. Earthquake to stop Fire pokes such as Darmanitan and Cross Chop to get rid of Chansey, Miltank. I gave it a vest to give it a little more survivability.

Yanmega @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 2 HP / 252 SAtk / 36 SDef / 180 Spd
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

I needed a speedy pokemon to my team and i was thinking of having Scolipede but instead i chose Yanmega due to multiple move selections. I have protect so i can get a speed boost while checking what move they would use, Air slash since it's a reliable flying type move as well as having a possible flinch when used, Giga Drain to gain my hp and Bug Buzz as my main Nuking move. I put in 180 spd as it's usually enough to outspeed most pokes and putting it on SDef.

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Serious Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Toxic

I had Cloyster before but it just didn't really worked out and i needed a strong SDef to bulk most of the sp attackers out there, Florges. It didn't really need any evs in sp def as it's already high, (344). I gave it Moonblast as my stab type move to get rid of dragons, Energy ball to stop certain pokemon, especiialy Quagsire, Psychic to mostly stop grass and Fighting and Toxic in case i want to deal more.

The biggest problem for me would be fighting type pokemon as i don't exactly have a counter for it besides yanmega as most of them would outspeed me while ground can hurt as well.. Stealth rocks is a problem to me as i don't have a reliable rapid spin pokemon.
I usually lead with either my victini or kingdra depending on what they start off.

Threats: Most Fighting type pokemons such as Mienfoo and hearacross.
Pokemon with Increased stats as well

Changes:
Florges over Cloyster
Victini over Amoonguss and Jirachi

Last edited:
This team isn't that great at dealing with many of the metagame's common threats. For starters, stealth rocks easily maim your team, making it difficult for any of your pokemon to be successful. Many of your sets are also very unpractical and frankly are not any good, making the team overall not good. Apart from that, Mega-Aerodactyl easily 6-0's you, as well as other strong rock types such as Rhyperior and Archeops. Most strong Flying types basically all 6-0 you, since your only resist Electivire isnt known for being able to take hits. Toxic Spikes also pressure your team greatly, becoming a thorn in your side. I normally would not change so much of a team, but I have to in order to make it more competitively viable.

The first thing I notice is your lack of stealth rocks. This makes it difficult for you sweepers to put in hurt against opponents, making the team overall less effective. Instead of Gastrodon, I highly reccomend Tank Rhyperior, since it still offers an electric immunity, but can check the Rock and Flying types I stated earlier.

I honestly do not see the point of your current Kingdra Set. I get that crits are good, but the Focus Energy set is still absurdly hard to setup, and even when set up, is outsped by the majority of the metagame. However, looking over your team, I agree you need a "nuking" wallbreaker, but also something to remove hazards. For this reason I suggest Mega-Blastoise, who with Mega Launcher + 135 Base Special Attack, is one of the hardest pokemon in the current metagame to switch into right now, and it also still has access to rapid spin to support the rest of your team.

Finally, I reccomend removing Electivire. It honestly just is not a good pokemon. Its best trait is offensive coverage, and when slapped on a Assault Vest, it still is not very bulky, and its lack of resistances (1 immunity in Electric, thats it), makes it a terrible bulky pivot. I suggest you look forward to Pivot Amoonguss. Spore, absorbing Toxic Spikes, a hard check to Water and Fairy types, etc. are what Pivot Amoonguss has to offer over Electivire, yet not losing out too much on coverage. It also has higher bulk, and far better typing, making it a more reliable asset to your team.

Minor Changes:
Victini: Zen Headbutt > Psyshock, since you are physically offensive
Florges: EV Spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef Calm to maximise bulk, Wish + Protect > Energy Ball + Psychic, since you are not taking advantage of Florges's best qualities, and neither Energy Ball or Psychic adds anything to its coverage, and are frankly terrible moves to have on it.
Yanmega: Life Orb > Leftovers, as you absolutely need the extra power

I rarely change so much on someone's team, but I have to due to how unviable your team as a whole is. I highly reccomend you look into Battling 101, where experienced players can teach you how to build and play more competitively, and make you a better player.

I hope this helped, and again, sorry for changing so much of the team. Welcome to smogon! :]

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail / Roar / Toxic

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse / Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 88 Def / 52 SAtk / 252 HP / 116 SDef
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Synthesis

The first thing that got my attention were the moves on Kingdra. I used Kingdra for a while and think you might want to consider another moveset. This is the moveset i used when i had a Kingdra in my team:

Kingdra @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Flash Cannon

I dont know why you put in 2 HP but yea thats just something minor.

Though i do think Kingdra does need a water move. If you dont like to miss a Hydro Pump you can always go to Scald but you will notice the difference in power. Flash Cannon is used against any Fairy type (and Ice type) Pokémon to ensure you wont get shut down by a Florges or something. I have tried to use the EV spread as followed: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd so you can take a bit better than and a Modest nature to boost your SpAtk even more.

When i make a team i try to avoid the same typing twice for the coverage. Also try to balance out the damage you do, having 4 special attackers might shut you down on a special wall and if that special wall also covers a physical attacker of yours you're bount to get swept. Try to find weaknesses and work around them.

With the changes Brawlfest suggested i do think you have a strong team at your disposal. You have slow Pokémon so calculate the 1 extra hit because you arent gonna be faster than most Pokémon.

Good luck on making your team work out and good luck on future battles ^^!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)