Speed and Bulk V2

Heey,

I played competitive Pokémon since gen 5 and i wanted to get more into it in gen 6. I quickly noticed that my team building was terrible and i looked up quite some teams and just copied them. In Gen 6 however i made two teams and using them in Pokémon Showdown and with this team i managed to get to #339 on the UU ladder with 1441 rating.

Before i post the Pokémon themself i want to say that i made this team based around three Pokémon. Crobat, Mienshao and Gardevoir. I love those three Pokémon in UU and decided to get the other three Pokémon based around it.

One of my main weaknesses is Mega Blastoise. I have had quite some trouble with that thing and cant seem to take it down easily because of the insane damage it puts out. There are many weaknesses in this team so i decided to post here to see how we can tweak this team to get even higher on the ladder.

The Pokémon

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly
~ Brave Bird
~ Roost/Defog
~ Taunt
~ U-Turn

Crobat is one of the best anti-leads out there. With his amazing base speed and his moveset he can lead about every battle. For Crobat's ability i like Inner Focus over Infiltrator with this moveset. Being able to OH-KO a lead Fake Out Mienshao and destroying a Fake Out Weavile, leaving it with about 30% after a U-Turn. Ambipom is gone after LO recoil, Brave Bird and U-turn. Most people dont expect the Inner Focus so thats free damage for me. The Black Sludge for the recovery as Crobat needs to take a hit sometimes and for the Brave Bird recoil damage. Roost also helping with this and baiting out super effective attacks like Ice moves that suddenly are not super effective anymore. Taunt is one of the moves that is a must, denying any sort of Stealth Rock/Spikes leads. With the insane base speed he is only outsped by 5 Pokémon in the UU tier (not including Scarfmons).

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef
Nature: Jolly
~ High Jump Kick
~ Knock Off
~ Stone Edge
~ U-Turn

Mienshao is the fast physical revenge killer. With a great base speed able to outspeed most Pokémon. Regenerator together with U-Turn to negate most damage by either LO recoil or a miss on High Jump Kick. With the buff for Knock Off and the ability to hit Psychic types, it was a must to take Knock Off on Mienshao. I changed the moveset a bit so it now has Stone Edge instead of Poison Jab, for fairy types which is stupid because of the super effectivity to Fighting types. Fast, hits hard and an amazing Pokémon

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Nature: Modest
~ Psyshock
~ Moonblast
~ Focus Blast
~ Shadow Ball

Gardevoir has an amazingly high base Special Attack. And giving it is one of my favorites i wanted to implement her in my team. I have tried the defensive set but i also like the offensive set very much but soon found out i get rekt by Nidokings. Therefore i made this EV spread so it just outspeeds Nidoking and OH-KO's it with Psyshock. Also able to deal with Florges by 2 hit KO'ing that annoying wall with Psyshock. Even though it has nearly no speed investment its able to outspeed most things due to the Choice Scarf.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 Def
Nature: Adamant
~ Stealth Rock
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Dragon Tail

I changed Rhydon with Rhyperior, as it has proven to be more effective than Eviolite Rhydon. Im unsure about the EVs because i want to use Rhyperior as a defensive tank who can deal damage when it needs to be. Copying Crobat's spread (and changing speed to def ofc) just to see how it would work out. I'm still not sure but it does work atm. STAB Earthquake and Stone Edge wrecks most Pokémon and hes so tanky that he can hold himself against a Darmanitan. Dragon Tail is what i used in my Gen 5 team but im not sure if thats the right choice here due to the Fairy immunity to dragon type moves, i can switch it to Megahorn but as i said im not sure.

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 SpAtk
Nature: Calm
~ Seed Flare
~ Substitute
~ Leech Seed
~ Hidden Power (Fire)

Shaymin is such an awesome Pokémon. The ability Natural Cure is a very good ability so it can absorb a Will-O-Wisp or a Toxic without crippling it too much. Because all stats are base 100 you can transform Shaymin in anything. I changed Shaymin to a Special wall instead of a bulky annoying Pokémon. Able to hold most opponents Ice Beam and with defensive Pokémon Shaymin is even able to maintain behind a Substitute after a super effective Ice Beam. This set is to stall out while healing everything back and does get countered by Grass types. The Hidden Power Fire is for the Steel, Grass, Bug and Ice types. I might consider changing it to Hidden Power Ice to hit Flying types as well as Dragon types.

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Nature: Timid
~ Thunderbolt
~ Volt Switch
~ Overheat
~ Pain Split

Because Shaymin became my Special Wall i changed Rotom-H to an offensive Pain Split set. With his speed its able to outspeed bulky Water Pokémon and also Mega Blastoise. I chose Tbolt for the coverage but i dont know for sure if its better than Will-o-Wisp. If Volt Switch is my only Electric move i have to switch each time i want to hit a Water/Flying type and i might not have the opportunity to take a Water/Flying type move with another Pokémon. Pain split for the extra recovery ofcourse.

Threat list

There are some Pokémon i have trouble with:

Mega Blastoise is a hard hitting special beast who is hard to deal with. Shaymin can handle him but he deals so much damage that i find it hard to beat him with this team. I havent played much against a Mega Blastoise with my Shaymin but it still is annoying to deal with.

Quagsire is also a Pokémon who can be really annoying. Toxic stalling while recovering or protecting. Yet again Shaymin does counter him but once Shaymin is gone i have nothing for this thing. Hitting Gardevoir pretty hard, without Gardevoir being able to take him down. Due to the Electric immunity my Rotom-H cant do anything to this thing except burn it and pain split still he dies to a scald.

The physical threat of Darmanitan is big and with its high speed its guaranteed to get a kill. Dealing with Rhydon pretty easily with the hard hitting Flare Blitz and if i dont sacrifise a Pokémon to get a free switch into Rhydon its pretty much over.

Florges is a wall. A very annoying wall with the Toxic, Wish and Protect. Stalling you out and wish passing all over the place. The only Pokémon who can damage this thing are Mienshao, but the Moonblast OH-KO's it, and Rhydon who also doesnt appreciate a Moonblast to the face. Due to its high SpDef all my special attackers cant do anything. Leech Seed is the only thing Shaymin can do. And Gardevoir can setup but gets Toxic stalled so thats no use either.

This thing... Nidoking is such a strong Pokémon in UU. His typing is great against most Pokémon on my team. My special wall doesnt wanna take 2 sludge waves and ofcourse Gardevoir cant take a poison type due to its fairy typing and is outsped by the Nidoking. Shaymin doesnt like a poison type move either and Earth Power will delete Rhydon. Nidoking is able to sweep my entire team if i dont watch out...

Conclusion

There are a lot of holes in my team but i've tweaked it up a bit. I have removed Milotic for Shaymin to have better coverage for things as Mega Blastoise and Quagsire. I hit 1441 rating even with Milotic but there are still enough battles to be won with a bit of tweaking.

I four of these Pokémon in my Gen 5 UU team (tweaked ofcourse) and the only difference is that my special wall Blastoise is now Rotom-H and my physical wall Rhyperior changed a bit, as well as Shaymin.

I'm looking forward to the feedback and suggestions to make this team even better ^^!

EDIT: Made a threat list and explained why they are threats.

Last edited:
Hey there,

You have a slight weakness to Ghost. Because of this, I suggest switching Gardevoir to Mega-Absol. Mega Absol's access to set-up moves like Swords Dance, to priority moves like Sucker Punch, and it's ability to counter Fighting-type Pokemon with Play Rough make it a dangerous threat in OU. It can outspeed a max speed Darmanitan, and if Darmanitan is Scarfed you can still do a noticeable amount of damage with Sucker Punch. Here is what I recommend:

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Pursuit / Night Slash

Knock Off may not be needed as you already have it on your Mienshao, however it is Mega-Absol's most powerful physical Dark-type move (if the opponent is holding and item). Alternatively, you could use Pursuit to trap Psychic- or Ghost-types. However, if you don't get the opponent on the switch, Pursuit is a mere 40 Power and your only other option is Sucker Punch, which is also a gamble. Night Slash is the most reliable option, however it's under-average base power of 70 is outclassed by Knock Off's 97.5 (if the opponent is holding an item) or Pursuit's 80 (if the opponent is switching out that turn). It's really up to player preference.

Your Rotom-Heat set isn't the best. Why run Pain Split with W-o-W and Leftovers? W-o-W lowers your opponent's HP residually, and Leftovers heals your HP residually. This isn't what you want when using Pain Split. Here is what I recommend:

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Or, if you want to keep Pain Split:

Rotom-Heat @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pain Split
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Substitute

Your team looks very nice otherwise, good luck with it!

The thing with Mega-Absol is that i miss the hard hitting special attacker here. I know Rotom can do some damage but now the team is pretty physically offensive. Any other alternatives for Gardevoir?

And for Rotom i cant see the Life Orb version working in my team so i changed it tro the choice trick but it didnt really work out for me just yet. I could try another special wall but i dont think the team will be as balanced as it is now :S

Thanks for the suggestions and i have tried them out and will try them some more in the future ^^

EDIT: Megamons counter the scarf trick set pretty hard :(

Last edited:
The thing with Mega-Absol is that i miss the hard hitting special attacker here. I know Rotom can do some damage but now the team is pretty physically offensive. Any other alternatives for Gardevoir?

And for Rotom i cant see the Life Orb version working in my team so i changed it tro the choice trick but it didnt really work out for me just yet. I could try another special wall but i dont think the team will be as balanced as it is now :S

Thanks for the suggestions and i have tried them out and will try them some more in the future ^^

EDIT: Megamons counter the scarf trick set pretty hard :(
It's all about predicting. No team is perfect. If Mega Pokemon are giving you some trouble with your Rotom-H then you need to out-predict them. Mega-Absol actually has a huge special move-pool, and it's special attack is very good. You could try running a special set on it.

Because of the Nidoking i had to change my team no matter what. Edited Nidoking into the threat list and have made a funny set with an interesting Pokémon.

Here is my thought progress: I needed a Fairy type to check the Dragon type Pokémon. I needed a Psychic move for the Nidoking with a base speed higher than 85 in order to outspeed Nidoking. And it needed to be a special attacker to function as an alternative for Gardevoir. So this is what came out of that and i have tried it a few times and it seemed to work like a charm.

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Trait: Filter
~ Nasty Plot
~ Psyshock
~ Focus Blast
~ Dazzeling Gleam

I do understand that a ghost weakness is the same or even bigger without the shadow ball but this set is amazing. Maybe switch out Nasty Plot with Shadow Ball to keep the coverage but Mr Mime's power is awesome. With the 252 SpAtk and 252 Spd and LO its able to OH-KO Nidoking and Flygon. Focus Blast, Dazzeling Gleam had great coverage overall and with Psyshock for Poison types Mr. Mime is a beast

An alternative i have found to deal with Nidoking is Porygon-Z:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Trait: Adaptability
~ Tri Attack
~ Ice Beam
~ Dark Pulse
~ Thunderbolt

Porygon-Z is one of the strongest special attackers with the Specs and Adaptability Tri Attack. Leaving only Florges and Mega-Blastoise to check this Pokémon from my Threat list. Tri Attack OH-KO's most things and he doesnt need to set up in order to sweep. Ice Beam for the Pokémon that resist Tri Attack and Dark Pulse and Tbolt for coverage. Porygon-Z might be banned from UU (not sure tho, but its way to powerful)

I do prefer Mr. Mime over Porygon because i think Mr. Mime is a mon to have more fun with than a great chance to sweep with Porygon everytime. Not sure about Mr. Mime's moveset so might need some help with that.

Hey there very cool team! There aren't too many threats, but Psychic types are a big problem, with nothing to stop them, while two of your primary pokemon are weak to them. However, a lot of your specific sets are subpar at best, which is an issue. Darmanitan is another pokemon which you are completely inable to switch into. You are also extremely hazard weak, which is a huge issue in the UU metagame atm, so that can be a big problem for you to deal with. Overall, its an ok team, but is crippled by severe flaws.

The easiest way to fix your team firstly is to run Mega Blastoise > Shaymin. This makes you much less darm weak, and gives you a method to spin, and also gives you a powerful wall breaker while maintaining a water resist for the rest of your team. Since you don't have a mega slot atm, you may as well take advantage.

The next thing I would do is to change Crobat to Substitute Honchkrow. Both are very good StallBreakers, but the key is that Honchkrow fits much better onto offensive teams by hitting stall hard, but at the same time provides a key psychic resist while maintaining a ground immunity, to better check Psychic types I previously mentioned blasted you.

Minor Changes:
Mienshao: Choice Scarf > Life Orb as Scarfed Mienshao is simply better, being the best revenge killer in the current metagame. LO Mien not only hits not that hard, but just isn't that good.
Rotom H: Chocie Specs > Choice Scarf as it is better played as a wallbreaker with its subpar speed tier, but it can pull off the same set. Specs Overheat is impossible to switch into.
Rhydon: Rhyperior > Rhydon, as while Rhydon's "defenses" are higher, Rhyperior boasts Solid Rock, which makes it superior.

Cool team.
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Honchkrow @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Substitute
- Roost

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Did Brawlfest say to remove stall breaker crobat?

Anyways, I recommend changing rotom-h's set. Its king of hard to have a defensive Mon with an offensive item. I would recommend a fully offensive EV spread with max SpA and Spe and either a timid or modest nature. I personally like specs for the power, but scarf is very good as well. The set to use is overheat, volt switch, HP grass, and trick.

Hope I helped.

EDIT: kangaaroo, knock off is illegal with play rough

Rhydon: Rhyperior > Rhydon, as while Rhydon's "defenses" are higher, Rhyperior boasts Solid Rock, which makes it superior.
Which set do you recommend on Rhyperior? This is from my old Gen 5 team:

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SDef
Nature: Adamant
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Tail

Did Brawlfest say to remove stall breaker crobat?

Anyways, I recommend changing rotom-h's set. Its king of hard to have a defensive Mon with an offensive item. I would recommend a fully offensive EV spread with max SpA and Spe and either a timid or modest nature. I personally like specs for the power, but scarf is very good as well. The set to use is overheat, volt switch, HP grass, and trick.

Hope I helped.
Have been testing out with Honchkrow instead of Crobat, not sure which i prefer just yet

and about Rotom-H, I do think his offensive set with offensive EV's makes my team to fragile. I already changed my wall Shaymin with Blastoise and Crobat with Honchkrow. This is making my team a bit more fragile but if i change Rotom as well i do believe i can get swept easily.

EDIT: By switching out Shaymin i'm having quite alot of problems with Mega-Blastoise again T-T

Last edited:
Mega Blastoise seems like quite an obstacle for most offense teams, but you can do some things to help yourself out- firstly, shaymin can be changed to a special wall. Its far more fitting for his typing/more relevant for UU and will help you tackle the bulky water types of the tier 1v1. Next, change rotom-h to an offensive spread if you are going to use choice scarf. At the moment you seem very conflicted with what you want to achieve with rotom, but if you want a set that is both defensive and offensive at the same time I would recommend a pain split set for him, which uses 252 SAtk 252+ Spd and give him leftovers to hold. rotom-h is different to rotom-w in that he benefits from increased speed quite a lot, being a much more offensive rotom form

Also I noticed your team seems to be reasonably weak to mega houndoom. I would suggest changing your gardevoir set to choice scarf which will make up for the lack of scarf on rotom whilst also giving you a somewhat decent check to a few things (for instance, i believe gardevoir can switch into regular houndoom, trace flash fire before it evolves and then absorb any fire attack, whilst outspeeding afterwards and being able to deal 60% with moonblast- houndoom has a very low chance of 2hkoing gardevoir with dark pulse in return, and if you trace flash fire by switching in before it mega evolves then you are immune to its fire blast as previously mentioned

I hope i havent bumped before because it wasnt my intention to do so up until this point.

I changed my team a bit and I'm a bit unsure about Rhyperior EV spread, Rotom-H (Tbolt) and Shaymin (HP fire or ice) movepool.

And last about Crobat's ability, Inner Focus against Fake Out leads or Infiltrator against Sub Stall and to chose his movepool, Taunt and Defog or Defog and Roost or Taunt and Roost. I removed Roost for now but im not sure if that would hurt Crobat more than it would be an adventage.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you want a stallbreaker, you need taunt and roost. You have no way to clear hazards, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. There are two solutions to this. 1) play extremely aggressively and don't let hazards be set. 2) put them at a position where you both need hazards cleared, and let the defog (unless they have a spinner, in which the former is the best course of action)

Just a quick typo, you say "thread list" and not "threat list"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)