How do YOU study for a test/quiz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Doing cue cards on the topic i learnt that day helps me when it comes to most topics. By summarising all of the important points on that particular topic / concept helps immensly when it comes to revision, as all the relevant information is right in front of me and i can just look at the card, then turn it over and see how much of it i can recall in 2 minutes. If i can remember it all I know i can do that particular part and can move onto the next card.

This works really well for English / Commerce subjects as memorisng the definitons and key words is the most important thing in these subjects.I dont know how this would work for science / math subjects as I dont do science and I am failing maths atm :)

WHen it comes to anything formulaic (math, physics, or anything with numbers really) I find that practice is the key. With anything that involves facts, I have a hard time focusing and rereading things, so I end up having to hope that my brain retains enough of it after the first pass to get by.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i did engineering undergrad (then applied math for ms), so my learning material was almost always a mixture of rote memorization and conceptual problem solving (this so especially for the math part)

hence i mixed in old-school physically re-writing (or freshly writing :P) notes for the rote memorization part and then at the least practiced and completely finished old tests / quizzes from the prof

i also made sure to be able to do at least 5-10 random problems from the end of chapters in my books, especially the ones at the end, because they tend to cover the majority of important concepts / patterns straight through

ignoring the internet pretend geniuses here, half of whom will probably drop out of college due to an unhealthy addiction to some component of the internet, real learning (not simply doing well on tests) is a rigorous process, and you should strive to learn, both in breadth and depth terms, your focused (major) area as much as possible

i cant say how important it is for humanities people, but for science people, obviously do what you have to do to maintain as high a GPA as possible (cause this matters, as much as you might not like it / agree with it), but be sure to do what you have to to actually learn the material...going through the college motions / doing well on tests might seem pointless to you, but the real learning is never pointless and will only help you in your future

it varies depending on subject, but in anything that isn't maths I just make myself a study guide separated by important concepts/terms/people etc. Most of the comprehension happens while I'm actually making the study guide and then I review it a few times to really solidify all the info in my brain.

for any pure math class I just practice a ton and get mediocre grades :V

I never studied either, but I never lorded it over people as Aldaron would suggest.

People called me smart and I always corrected them by saying I just test well, or I'm good at tests.

phantom

Banned deucer.
I usually make Flashcards (works for fucking everything), look over notes, and reread the text or do the actual questions in the case of anything math related. That usually gets me the grade I want. I try to create a perfect outline if I know I'm going to be given an in-class essay and I try to at least get most of the gist of it when I do so. Studying for me is fairly straightforward, my only issue with it stems from the fact that I almost never want to sit down and actually do it.

Last edited:

Ninety Nine

I really fail at taking tests/exams/quizzes etc... I do not understand why and can't think of a reason pertaining to it other than exam pressure combined with a lack of understanding why I need to know what I'm studying. In the end I just read over my notes as many times as needed and practice on past exam papers. Other than that there is nothing more I can personally do.

I really fail at taking tests/exams/quizzes etc... I do not understand why and can't think of a reason pertaining to it other than exam pressure combined with a lack of understanding why I need to know what I'm studying. In the end I just read over my notes as many times as needed and practice on past exam papers. Other than that there is nothing more I can personally do.
It just means you truly don't know the material like your casual open book, researching, homework assignments lead you to believe.

Basically, you're stupid.

The two times i get down to study is during tests and exams.
Mostly i will listen and understand what the teacher teaches so bits are in my memory (no notes unless teacher dictates)
Idgaf about tests so i study for them in the bus ride or i dont at all
During exams i only feel the pressure on the noon before the exam and i do wonders that day
ALSO: When i'm studying last minute (which is always) i go for the whatever you do do it well approach instead of the learn bits and pieces from every chapter approach as i analyse which chapters have a higher chance of coming for more marks.

:]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)