Other Offensive vs. Defensive Project [Round 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Just to clarify, we are signing up for a team to deliberate upon making a selection of a pokemon and moveset corresponding to our choice (either offensive or defensive), but we are not signing up to battle, correct?

Regardless of the answer to my question, I will apply:

Dr. Eyepatch
Defensive
I have been around for several generations of pokemon, and whenever I find myself building a team from the ground-up, it always ends up defensive. I feel that a defensive-oriented team is the path traveled less than that of an offensive one. When it comes to strategy games, those who know me are familiar with my unusual, yet surprisingly effective approach to things.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
So... Just to clarify, we are signing up for a team to deliberate upon making a selection of a pokemon and moveset corresponding to our choice (either offensive or defensive), but we are not signing up to battle, correct?

Regardless of the answer to my question, I will apply:

Dr. Eyepatch
Defensive
I have been around for several generations of pokemon, and whenever I find myself building a team from the ground-up, it always ends up defensive. I feel that a defensive-oriented team is the path traveled less than that of an offensive one. When it comes to strategy games, those who know me are familiar with my unusual, yet surprisingly effective approach to things.
Signing up for using the two teams will happen at the end of the project.

Yeah sure, I'll bite.

MudcrabDL
Defensive

I personally feel that matchups trump pure power in all cases:being able to have the ability to bring in the right counter at the right time does wonders. To do this, in most cases, you need something that can take a hit, and hopefully cripple whatever comes out in response. The long game is so much more interesting to me: some of the most strategic games I've played have been stall vs. Stall.

Question: what would this set come under?

Malamar@Assault Vest
Contrary
Adamant

252HP/252Sp.Def/4Def

Rock Slide
Superpower
Payback
Psycho Cut

Sure, it has four attacking moves, but it more functions as a slow booster, using the contrary Superpower boosts to overwhelm the opponent.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Question: what would this set come under?

Malamar@Assault Vest
Contrary
Adamant

252HP/252Sp.Def/4Def

Rock Slide
Superpower
Payback
Psycho Cut

Sure, it has four attacking moves, but it more functions as a slow booster, using the contrary Superpower boosts to overwhelm the opponent.
You know, I'll let that go either way.

Sign me up for Defensive.

I really only play on the simulators to build teams specifically for certain play styles, and to counter typical stereotypes (Like you can't make an OU viable team without legendaries, Hit 1800s using Trevenant/Rotom/Garchomp/Scizor/Talonflame/Greninja in a balanced built team which I still use to this day).

With a little bit of theorymoning I might be able to build a team that functions extremely well in the current meta through defensive play

Rosenfeldius
Defensive
I would like to take part in the defensive team for round 1 because I believe defense is much more versatile in its options, and I have much more experience building defensive cores than offensive ones.

In that case I would like to help out a little since I want to see someone improve this core:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog / Spikes
- Taunt / Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird / Toxic

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic
- Earth Power

They resist or are immune to each others weaknesses, and Gastrodon can absorb the Hydro Pumps and Waterfalls from the common rain offense teams.

Between them they have:

10 resistances (Normal, Flying, Rock, Steel (both), Fire, Bug, Grass, Psychic, Dragon, Fairy)

4 immunities (Poison, Electric, Ground, Water)

leaving just neutralities to Fighting, Ghost, and Dark. Which a Bisharp partner can handle and, if Skarmory does not run Defog, pressure other Defoggers while pressuring Ghosts. Ghost and Fighting resistances are pretty common in the metagame now, so you can easily add one on, especially since Bisharp should not be relied on to take hits, but can if it needs to due to a decent Defense stat.
YESYESYES, I have used this core many many times and can vouch for its solidity. The best possible partner for this set is Heatran, as he gets SR and leaves a slot open for Skarmory, covers Skarm's fire weakness, and Gastrodon's grass. Likewise, Gastrodon covers Heatran just as well, Flash Fire + Storm Drain is a match made in heaven. This set is optimal:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Roar

Wonderful, wonderful core. In gen V anyway. I've tested it out here, and this core, while solid, performs best as anti-weather, which has been nerfed as you know. Anyway, I think Skarmory's best set with this core looks like this:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

The EVs ensure you never get outsped by minimum speed Tyranitar, who is known to pack fire fang/blast at times, so if paired up, you can always get in a layer of spikes.

Anyway, this core. Yes.

madbadger
Defensive

I've always gravitated to defensive mons and have had the most success with semi-stall teams. Playing defence allows you to get to know the opponent better and work out a long term strategy for the endgame. Its more satisfying for me to win a game by outlasting the opponent and keeping your mons alive and healthy than getting a +2 with mega-pinsir and breaking things. Also, more creative sets can be explored in defence.

I i would like to join team 1 due to the fact that i have had a LOT of experience with HO and offensive teams and due to this i have a lot of experience with offensive team building and set construction which is why i would think i would be a great addition to team 1.

Edit: Hail Magikarp
Did i do it Right?
Double Edit: i think you should cut down the team cap to 12-14 or this will take to long

Acam333
Defensive
I would like to be part of the defensive team because I feel like defensive teams are very underated compared to the super common hyper offense teams but they are very good and when built right are very challenging to take down.

Honestly, both of them I would like to say I excel at, but Offensive seems less crowded atm (How the hell).

BurningFury101
Offensive

brief sentence.

Haha, just kidding. Anyway, my experience with Offence is pretty straightforward. Ever since I've started Pokemon I've used Offensive teams, at the same time, during me starting competitive battling I used Offensive teams, too.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
I would like to be part of the defensive team because I feel like defensive teams are very underated compared to the super common hyper offense teams but they are very good and when built right are very challenging to take down.
I was hoping someone would say something like this :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)