OU Mew

Overview
########
With access to every single TM, HM, and tutor move in the game, Mew is a top contender for the title of the most versatile Pokemon. The Defog buff gave it the niche of being one of the few users of the move that isn't weak to Stealth Rock. Mew is also the only relevant Defog user with access to Will-O-Wisp, which allows it to negate the Attack boost provided to several Defiant users by Defog.

However, none of Mew's stats are particularly good by OU standards; its offensive stats are only above average without a boost and its Speed leaves it outsped by many threats. Its average defensive typing leaves it weak to common attacking types, such as Bug, Dark, and Ghost, with little neutralities to boast for itself. Because of these problems, and despite Mew's monumental menu of moves, it can only run a couple of viable sets without being outclassed. When Mew does its few jobs, however, it does them exceptionally well, and opponents would be foolish to let their guard down against it.

Stallbreaker
########
name: Stallbreaker
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Soft-Boiled
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Knock Off / Night Shade
ability: Synchronize
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
nature: Careful / Calm

Moves
========
This set makes Mew one of the best stallbreakers in the game. Taunt and Will-O-Wisp allow Mew to dismantle many stall cores, especially those involving Mega Venusaur, Skarmory, Blissey, and Chansey. Soft-Boiled provides Mew with reliable recovery. Knock Off is another great stallbreaking tool and rids opposing walls of their precious Leftovers or Eviolite. Night Shade is another good option and allows Mew to deal consistent damage to any Pokemon that isn't Normal-type. Other coverage moves can be considered to hit Mew's typical checks and counters. For example, Ice Beam can be used if your team has problems with Landorus, as Mew can take a hit and OHKO 87.5% of the time. Earth Power and Aura Sphere also allow Mew to better handle Steel- and Fire-types, such as Heatran and Aegislash, though without investment, all the aforementioned moves aren't particularly powerful.

Set Details
========
The Speed EVs allow Mew to outspeed Jolly Mega Tyranitar and everything slower. The rest of the EVs are invested in HP and Special Defense to make Mew as specially bulky as possible. The nature further boosts Mew's Special Defense. Careful is preferred if using Knock Off, but otherwise Calm is better to minimize Foul Play damage. A specially defensive spread is used as most Pokemon on stall teams these days use special attacks, which allows Mew to wall them even better. Leftovers provides passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========
This set single-handedly dismantles many stall cores, such as the famous SkarmBliss. Use it if your team needs a utility Pokemon that can also threaten stall. Don't use it as a wall, as its bulk is nothing to write home about, even after investment. Always try to keep Mew as healthy as possible, as it may have to frequently switch in and out. Never try to keep Mew on a Pokemon that might potentially carry a status move unless you have a cleric in your team. Be wary of using Will-O-Wisp if your opponent has a Fire-type, as it may give them a free switch-in. If your opponent sends in a cleric, Taunt it as soon as possible. If you are using Knock Off, spam it as often as you can. Against offensive teams, Mew can spread burns easily and can give one of your sweepers easy setup opportunities.

Team Options
========
Mew can wear down common stall Pokemon so that your sweepers can break past them. It can spread burns quite well, thus crippling many physical attackers. A burned Pokemon also makes for good setup fodder for your own sweepers. Mew hates status, so a cleric or a status absorber makes for a very good teammate. Sylveon and Clefable are good options for a cleric, as they have good synergy with Mew and can also check Conkelldurr, who loves to switch into Will-O-Wisp to activate Guts. RestTalk Gyarados is a good status absorber and also checks both formes of Mega Charizard, which can switch into Mew quite easily. Mew also appreciates teammates that can take on common Pursuit users such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash. Hippowdon and Mega Scizor are good examples of teammates that can easily beat the aforementioned Pursuit trappers. Something that can switch into Heatran, such as Rotom-W and Conkeldurr, is also appreciated.

Entry Hazard Control
########
name: Entry Hazard Control
move 1: Defog
move 4: Taunt / Stealth Rock
evs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
nature: Calm

Moves
========
Defog is the main move on this set, removing entry hazards on both sides of the field. Soft-Boiled provides recovery, allowing Mew to clear entry hazards throughout the game. Will-O-Wisp can burn the opposing Pokemon, slowly wearing them out and and crippling most physical attackers. Will-O-Wisp nullifies the Attack boost that Defiant users like Bisharp might get from switching into Defog. Taunt prevents Mew from becoming complete setup bait. It is also very useful against opposing support Pokemon, as Mew is generally faster than most of them. Stealth Rock can be used if your team lacks a setter. Mew can use Stealth Rock after Defog, ensuring that Stealth Rock is only up on the opponent's side of the field.

Set Details
========
The Speed EVs allow Mew to outspeed max Speed Jolly Mega Tyranitar and burn it before it can set up Dragon Dance or use Crunch on Mew. The rest is invested in HP and Special Defense to make Mew as specially bulky as possible. A Calm nature further boosts Mew's Special Defense. A specially defensive spread is used, as most of the wallbreakers in OU are specially oriented. Moreover, most of the Pokemon on stall teams are specially oriented, and this set acts as a very good stallbreaker. Leftovers is the item of choice and provides passive recovery. 0 Attack IVs minimize confusion and Foul Play damage.

Usage Tips
========
This set works best on bulky offense and balanced teams. Mew can switch in on many defensive Pokemon, such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Chansey, Taunt them, and then use Defog. If the opponent has a Defiant user, it is generally better to not use Defog immediately. Will-O-Wisp is the better option in this case. Try to keep Mew at high health if the opponent's entry hazard setters have not been KOed yet. Don't use Mew as a wall; just use it as an utility Pokemon who can use Defog and stallbreak for your team. Don't bring it in on strong unresisted STAB moves, as its bulk is not spectacular and it will get worn down fast.

Team Options
========
Pokemon which appreciate the removal of entry hazards from their side of field, such as Charizard, Talonflame, Dragonite, Pinsir, and Kyurem-B, are good teammates. Mew appreciates teammates that can deal with strong Pursuit users such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash. Hippowdon and Scizor can easily handle the aforementioned Pursuit trappers. Unaware Quagsire is a good teammate as it counters Defiant users. A Pokemon to take on Mega Charizard is needed as Mew can't do anything against either forme. Heatran is a good option as is RestTalk Gyarados. Mew appreciates cleric support as poison and burn ruin its bulk and force it to frequently waste turns by using Soft-Boiled. If you can't pack a cleric, a status absorber can work too. Again, RestTalk Gyarados is a good candidate.

Other Options
########

Due to its huge movepool, Mew has no lack of options. It can use both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot to good effect; however, it is let down by its mediocre Speed and four moveslot syndrome. Mew can also use a Choice set to grab surprise revenge kills, but its main selling point is its versatility, and it isn't an exceptionally good user as it lacks powerful and spammable STAB. Mew is one of the only Pokemon that can use Transform somewhat reliably due to its above-average bulk. A lead set with Taunt, Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Explosion can also work quite well, but it is somewhat outclassed in this role by the Deoxys formes. Mew can also run a Baton Pass set with either Nasty Plot or Swords Dance and Rock Polish, which can be devastating to unprepared teams. Baton Pass can be used on any set to bypass Pursuit, provided that Mew is faster, although Pursuit is typically not a problem because of Will-O-Wisp.

Checks & Counters
########

**Heatran**: Heatran sponges anything that the support sets can throw at it, although if Mew is running an offensive set with super effective coverage moves, the latter can win in an one-on-one situation.

**Prankster and Faster Taunt Users**: Prankster Taunt users such as Sableye and Thundurus and faster Taunt users like Deoxys-D can shut down the support sets easily.

**Pursuit Trappers**: Strong Pursuit users can put Mew in a checkmate situation, but they must be wary of Will-O-Wisp.

**Charizard**: Mega Charizard X can Dragon Dance on Mew and proceed to sweep its team while Mega Charizard Y switches into Mew easily and can fire off sun-boosted Fire Blasts.

**Status**: Burn and poison ruin Mew's bulk by whittling down its HP and slowly wearing it out.

**Bisharp**: Bisharp can switch into Defog, get a Defiant boost, and sweep Mew's team, although it should be wary of Will-O-Wisp.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Strong special attackers, such as Mega Charizard Y and Choice Specs Keldeo, can easily 2HKO Mew and don't fear Will-O-Wisp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know your waiting on qc but I'm just gonna run over some basics you could clean up from previous writer

mentions of Gene + M-Luke + Forre should be removed
mentions of Ninjask should be changed too Scolipede
Mentions of Loom+Cloyster probably should be removed

Hazard Control

Reflect Type, while gimmicky, allows Mew to switch out of Tyranitar and Scizor without fearing Pursuit.
Reflect should really be in OO not in moves of a hazard control as WoW cripples them enough
Defog is best used without hazards of your own, except for Mew's own Stealth Rock.
Pretty sure this is completely wrong
If Mew runs U-Turn, it can either provide a slow U-Turn or a fast U-Turn, depending on the opponent. Slow U-Turns are useful to bring in frail sweepers such as Talonflame.
I get where they were going but seriously wtf

Also pretty sure QC wanted SR taken off a main slash and put after something else (cant quite remember)

Stallbreaker

A supporting move, such as Defog
If you use defog you have exactly the same as the Hazard Control set
A slightly faster 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe Timid spread may be used to get the jump on Jolly Gyarados.
Why does this benefit stallbreaking at all
This set singlehandedly dismantles many stall cores, such as the infamous SkarmBliss.
>skarmbliss

Team options really mean nothing on this set

Nasty Plot

Unlike past generations, there are now a couple Pokemon that can counter this set regardless of its coverage move, and Fairies in general nerfed its coverage moves.
Completely irrelevant. Max Def Sylveon is 2HKOd by +2 Psyshock, The same Clefable ~50% of the time while Unaware variants always walled it, Azumarill could always tank a hit.

Quick Baton Pass

Amnesia, Iron Defense, Calm Mind, and Bulk can also go in the third slot, but are better suited to full Baton Pass teams.
this sentence explains itself why it shouldn't be listed here.
The given EVs allow Mew to outspeed all relevant Scarfers (Scarf Gengar/Latios and down) after one Rock Polish.
Scarf Gengar and Scarf Latios aren't really relevant but a better phrasing would be "The given EVs allow Mew to outspeed the relevant metagame after one Rock Polish.

C+C

Bulky Psychic-types, such as Assault Vest Reuniclus or Slowbro, can beat the Nasty Plot set if it lacks Dark Pulse.
What the fucking hell
AV Reun? Dark Pulse?
Calm Mind Latios and Latias can set up on defensive and support sets, but must be wary of Ice Beam.
Neither Lati@s recieved a CM set

Also C+C should be set into groups

Jolly Base 70s are not even seen that much and it compromises too many Defense EVs just to outspeed them. Change the spread on all defensively oriented sets to 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe to outspeed everything from Naive Aegislash and down.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I know your waiting on qc but I'm just gonna run over some basics you could clean up from previous writer

mentions of Gene + M-Luke + Forre should be removed
mentions of Ninjask should be changed too Scolipede
Mentions of Loom+Cloyster probably should be removed

Hazard Control

Reflect should really be in OO not in moves of a hazard control as WoW cripples them enough
He's talking about Reflect Type, not reflect. Reflect type is gimmicky, and I'm not sure if it deserves a mention, but it is better than Reflect.

He's talking about Reflect Type, not reflect. Reflect type is gimmicky, and I'm not sure if it deserves a mention, but it is better than Reflect.
that was a typo/mental skip
I did mean Reflect Type. I do get its benefit but I don't think it belongs on a hazard control set. WoW already cripples trappers enough.

40BP Pursuit: 252+ Atk Life Orb burned Bisharp Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Mew: 71-86 (17.5 - 21.2%) -- possible 5HKO
80BP Pursuit: 252+ Atk Life Orb burned Bisharp Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Mew: 142-169 (35.1 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If it was being used as a wall maybe but since it's main purpose is Utility it can be sacked once its job is done if needed (eg if the opponents hazard setter(s) are/is KOd then it can come in defog, even bait a Bisharp switch in, then cripple the counter with WoW and then its effectively neutered 2/6+ of the opponents team.
Even Transform seems more useful as you could copy the hazard setter and set up your own if you ween;t too worried about hazards on your own side but I'm really diverging here so I digress on my own internal debate .-.

Thanks for the rate people. I knew of those discrepancies but if i would not have posted the skeleton, the deadline of 72 hours would have passed. I do not have access to my computer until tuesday. So, i just had to copypaste. :[

edited.
removed the quickpass and baton pass sets.
After a lot of testing, i found that scolipede was a better quick passer overall. Although, Mew can also pass Nasty Plot, i found that this strategy was risky and often times the opponent saw through this strategy. It is also risky to pass to sweeper who can miss at a crucial point and all your labour gets wasted. The lack of special priority moves also hurts.
The full-pass set is done better by vaporeon without stacking weaknesses.

Also, i think this is QC ready.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
seismic toss / night shade / knock off seem to be the superior choices for the last slot on stallbreaker.

Knock off denies lefties which makes it easier to stall something with roost + taunt + wisp, whereas seismic toss does pretty consistent damage. IF I had to guess, against most stallmons it does more than psychic on average.

seismic toss / night shade / knock off seem to be the superior choices for the last slot on stallbreaker.

Knock off denies lefties which makes it easier to stall something with roost + taunt + wisp, whereas seismic toss does pretty consistent damage. IF I had to guess, against most stallmons it does more than psychic on average.
Done.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ja this looks good. Let's get the ball rolling.

QC Approved 1/3

Also, please flesh out the Teammates section. Especially Pokemon that eliminate the Pursuit users like Bisharp. Also in OO - mention that Baton Pass can allow Mew to escape Pursuit (provided Mew is faster).

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
set 1 should have defog / recovery / wow / taunt or sr. wow is too useful to cripple physical attackers/make mew not pursuit bait. taunt lets it stallbreak rather decently against pokemon not named heatran, while sr is just sr, you can run it if needed.

slash psyshock into set 2. it helps against less defensive teams with fighting-types for mew to check, generally useful against everything except full stall.

get rid of np. it's really just mediocre. no recovery, no bp, slowness to sweep, mew's relative weakness, not hard to wall, and outclassed basically entirely by cm garde and even stuff like np thund. lefties is piss weak, and lo gets worn down fast so it's easy to revenge. lum is alright but still not good.

qc 3/4

Thanks for the quick rates. I will implement the changes when i reach home. Currently in extra summer classes. :'(

I'm not qc and this is just a stupid nitpick but imo roost should be mentioned over softboiled. Any cartridge player can easily get a roost mew while softboiled mew requires trading from gen 3

It might be bottom of the barrel OO stuff, but I just wanted to throw it out there that 0 SpAtk Aura Sphere cleanly OHKOs 32 HP Bisharp. Not that I know what it would go over on any set, but it seems like useful info

I think there are a few things that need to be changed before you get your last check. After talking to McMeghan we decided that changing the spreads to more SpDef ones is better because most wallbreakers these days are specially oriented. A spread of 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spd Timid is the spread that should be use for both sets. The spreads allows you to outspeed everything up to Jolly Mega Tyranitar and lets you burn it before it sets up on you.

On the stall breaker set, Psyshock doesn't really need to be slashed after Knock Off and Night Shade. Ice Beam could be better there since you can take an Earth Power from Landorus and OHKO 87.5% of the time with Ice Beam. It's up to you if you think it should be there but otherwise Knock Off + Night Shade is enough for that slot. For team options, you need to mention a good status absorber for especially for Scald if your team doesn't have room for a Cleric. Mention teammates that are able to switch into Charizard because Mew can't do anything against either one and basically gives them free switches.

Against a slower wall, first use Taunt and then Will-O-Wisp the switch in or attack with your attacking move.
I would remove this entirely as it's not always true. Sometimes it's be better to WoW or switch Out to avoid a move that could land a Burn or Poison on you. This applies strongly with teams that don't have a Cleric.

The usage tips should be improved as well as I don't really think there is enough there to showcase how to play it. I would watch replays like this one to get some ideas on how to use it properly.

If you get all of this done, let me know and I can stamp it.

Subject 18 i have implemented the changes you mentioned, although i am still not convinced on th specially defensive spread, as most special wallbreakers, like spwcs keldeo and zard-y 2HKO it.

[18:30:32] <McMeghan> i think spdef mew is better than phy def
[18:30:45] <McMeghan> most of the bulky/stall pkmn are specially oriented nowadays
[18:30:56] <McMeghan> and you're better off tanking special hits than physical hits
[18:31:2] <McMeghan> and WoW helps anyway

Those where McMeghan's words. Well I guess wallbreakers wasn't the right way to put it but rather stall pokemon was better wording of it. My fault. Anyway, this looks much better. Make the stallbreaker set first and you should be good to go.

QC Approved 4/4

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's just an AMCheck.

Remove
Add
Comment

Overview
########
With access to every TM and tutor move in the game, Mew is a top contendoer for the title of the "most versatile" Pokemon. The Defog buff gave it the niche of being one of the few users of the move nothat isn't weak to Stealth Rock. It is also the only Defogger with access to Will-O-Wisp,(AC) which allows it to negate the attack boost to Defiant users provided by Defog.

However, none of Mew's stats are very good by OU standards. Its offensive stats are only decent without a boost while,(RC) its speed leaves it outsped by many threats. Its bad defensive typing leaves it weak to common attacking types, such as Bug, Dark and Ghost.

Stallbreaker
########
evs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
ivs: 0 Atk
nature: Timid

Moves
========
This set makes Mew one of the Stallbreakers in the game. The main focus of this set is Taunt. Taunt in addition to Will-O-Wisp, allows Mew to dismantle many stall cores like Skarm-Bliss. Softboiled provides Mew with reliable recovery. Knock Off is another great stallbreaking tool and rids opposing walls of their precious Leftovers or Eviolite(Is Eviolite that common of an item in OU that it deserves a mention here?). Night Shade is another good option and allows Mew to deal consistent damage to any non-Pokemon that isn't Normal Pokemon-type. Ice Beam can be used if your team has problems with Landorus, as Mew can take a hit and OHKO 87.5% of the time.

Set Details
========
The Speed EVs and the Timid nature allow Mew to outspeed Jolly Mega Tyranitar and everything slower. RThe rest is invested in HP and Special Defense to make it as specially bulky as possible. A Specially Defensive spread is used as most of the stall Pokemon these days use special attacks,(AC) allowing it to wall them even better. Leftovers provides passive recovery. 0 attack IVs minimize confusion and Foul Play damage.

Usage Tips
========
This set single-handedly dismantles many stall cores, such as the infamous SkarmBliss. Use it if your team needs a utility Pokemon that can also threaten stall. Don't use it as a wall as its bulk is nothing to write home about, even after investment. Always try to keep Mew as healthy as possible, as it may have to switch in and out often. Never try to keep Mew on a Pokemon who might potentially status it, unless you have a cleric in your team. Be wary of using Will-O-Wisp if your opponent has a Fire-type as it may give them a free switch in. If your opponent sends in a cleric, Taunt it as soon as possible. If you are using Knock Off, spam it as muchoften as you can. Against offensive teams, Mew can spread burns easiely and can give one of your sweepers easy set up opportunities.

Team Options
========
Mew can wear down common stall Pokemon,(RC) so that your sweepers can break past them. It can spread burns quite well,(AC) thus ruining many physical attackers. A burnt Pokemon also makes for good set up bait for your own set up sweepers. Mew hates status. So, a cleric or a status absorberPokemon that is immune to status makes for a very good teammate. Sylveon and Clefable are good options for the forma cleric as they have good synergy and can also counter Conkelldurr,(AC) who loves to switch into Will-O-Wisp. Rest Talk(remove the space here) Gyarados is a good status absorber and also checks both formes of Mega Charizard,(AC) which switch into Mew quite easily. Mew also appreciates teammates that can take on common Pursuit users, such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash. Hippowdon and Mega Scizor come to mind. Something that can switch into Heatran, such as Rotom-W and Conkeldurr,(AC) is also appreciated.

Hazard Control
########
name: Hazard Control
move 2: Softboiled

Moves
========
Defog is the main move on this set, removing entry hazards on both sides of the field. Softboiled provides recovery, thus allowing Mew to clear hazards several times inconsistently throughout the game. Will-O-Wisp can burn the opposing Pokemon, slowly sapping their HP and rendersing Physical attackers extremely crippled. It also has very good synergy with Defog. It nullifies the aAttack boost that Defiant users like Bisharp may get from Defog. Taunt prevents Mew from becoming a set up bait. It is also very useful against opposing support Pokemon, as Mew is generally faster than most of them. Stealth Rock can be used if your team lacks another Stealth Rock user. Mew can use Stealth Rock after Defog, ensuring that Stealth Rock is on the opponent's side of the field, but not on your side.

Set Details
========
The Speed EVs and Timid nature allow it to outspeed max sSpeed Jolly Mega Tyranitar and burn it before it sets up on Mew. The rest is invested in HP and Special Defense to make it as specially bulky as possible. SA specially Ddefensive spread is used,(AC) asince most of the wallbreakers in OU are specially oriented. Moreover, most of the pPokemon on stall teams are specially oriented and this set acts as a very good stallbreaker. Leftovers is the item of choice and provides passive recovery. 0 Attack IVs minimize confusion and Foul Play damage.

Usage Tips
========
This set works best on bulky offense and balanced teams. Mew can switch in on many defensive Pokemon, such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Chansey, Taunt them and then use Defog. If the opponent has a Defiant user, it is generally better to not use Defog immediately. Will-O-Wisp is the better option in this case. Pretend that you are not running Defog. Try to keep Mew at high health, (RC) if the opposing hazard setters have not been KOed yet. Don't use itMew as a wall. Just use it as an utility Pokemon who can Defog and can stallbreak for your team. Don't bring it in on strong unresisted STAB moves as its bulk is not spectacular and it will get worn out fast.

Team Options
========
Pokemon which appreciate the removal of hazards from their side of field, such as Charizard, Talonflame, Dragonite, Pinsir, and Kyurem-B,(AC) are good teammates. Mew appreciates teammates who can deal with strong Pursuit users, such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash. Hippowdon comes to mind. Unaware Quagsire is a good teammate as it counters Defiant users. A Pokemon to take on Charizard is needed as Mew can't do anything againsto either of theform. Heatran is a good option as is Rest Talk(remove the space) Gyarados. Mew appreciates cleric support as Toxic and burn ruin its bulk and pressurize it into useing Softboiled too often. If you can't pack a cleric, a status absorber can work too. Rest Talk(remove the space) Gyarados is again a good candidate.

Other Options
########

Due to its huge movepool, Mew has no lack of options. It can use both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot to great effect. However, it is put down due to its speed. It can also use a choice set but Mew's main selling point is its versatility. Mew is one of the only Pokemon that can use Transform somewhat reliably due to its above average bulk. A lead set with Taunt, Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Explosion can also work quite well, but it is somewhat outclassed in this role by the Deoxys formes. It can also run a quick pBaton Pass set with either Nasty Plot or Swords Dance and Rock Polish, which may be devastating to unprepared teams. Baton Pass can be used on any set to bypass Pursuit,(AC) provided you are faster.

Checks & Counters
########

**Heatran**: Heatran sponges anything that the support sets can throw at it, although if Mew is running an offensive set, it can win one on one.

**Prankster and faster Taunters**: Prankster Taunt users,(RC) such as Sableye and Thundurus and faster Taunters like Deoxys-D (add a space)can shut down the support sets easiely.

**Pursuit trappers**: Strong pursuit users can put Mew in a checkmate situation, but they must be wary of Will-O-Wisp.

**Mega Charizard-X**: Mega Charizard-X can set up on it and proceed to sweep yourMew's team.

**Mega Charizard-Y**: Mega Charizard-Y switches into itMew easily and can fire off sun-(Just a dash between those)boosted Fire Blasts on yourits team.(Be careful of what perspective this is being written from)

**Status**: Burn and Toxic ruin Mew's bulk chipping off its HP and slowly wearing it out.

**Bisharp**: It can switch into Defog, get a dDefiant boost and sweep yourMew's team, although should be wary of Will-O-Wisp.

**Special attackers**: Strong special attackers, such as Mega Charizard-Y and Choice Specs Keldeo can easily 2HKO Mew and they don't fear Will-O-Wisp.

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I would kindly ask Legitimate Username to stamp this.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sure, just give me a minute.

Edit:
Overview
########
With access to every TM and tutor move in the game, Mew is a top contender for the title of the "most versatile" Pokemon. The Defog buff gave it the niche of being one of the few users of the move that isn't weak to Stealth Rock. It is also the only Defogger with access to Will-O-Wisp, which allows it to negate the attack boost to Defiant users provided by Defog.

However, none of Mew's stats are very good by OU standards. Its offensive stats are only decent without a boost while its speed leaves it outsped by many threats. Its bad defensive typing leaves it weak to common attacking types, such as Bug, Dark and Ghost.

Stallbreaker
########

Moves
========
This set makes Mew one of the Stallbreakers in the game. The main focus of this set is Taunt. Taunt in addition to Will-O-Wisp, allows Mew to dismantle many stall cores like Skarm-Bliss. Softboiled provides Mew with reliable recovery. Knock Off is another great stallbreaking tool and rids opposing walls of their precious Leftovers or Eviolite. Night Shade is another good option and allows Mew to deal consistent damage to any Pokemon that isn't Normal. Ice Beam can be used if your team has problems with Landorus, as Mew can take a hit and OHKO 87.5% of the time.

Set Details
========
The Speed EVs and the Timid nature allow Mew to outspeed Jolly Mega Tyranitar and everything slower. The rest is invested in HP and Special Defense to make it as specially bulky as possible. A Specially Defensive spread is used as most of the stall Pokemon these days use special attacks, allowing it to wall them even better. Leftovers provides passive recovery. 0 attack IVs minimize confusion and Foul Play damage.

Usage Tips
========
This set single-handedly dismantles many stall cores, such as the infamous SkarmBliss. Use it if your team needs a utility Pokemon that can also threaten stall. Don't use it as a wall as its bulk is nothing to write home about, even after investment. Always try to keep Mew as healthy as possible, as it may have to switch in and out often. Never try to keep Mew on a Pokemon who might potentially status it, unless you have a cleric in your team. Be wary of using Will-O-Wisp if your opponent has a Fire-type as it may give them a free switch in. If your opponent sends in a cleric, Taunt it as soon as possible. If you are using Knock Off, spam it as often as you can. Against offensive teams, Mew can spread burns easily and can give one of your sweepers easy set up opportunities.

Team Options
========
Mew can wear down common stall Pokemon so that your sweepers can break past them. It can spread burns quite well, thus ruining many physical attackers. A burnt Pokemon also makes for good set up bait for your own set up sweepers. Mew hates status. So, a cleric or a that is immune to status makes for a very good teammate. Sylveon and Clefable are good options for a cleric as they have good synergy and can also counter Conkelldurr, who loves to switch into Will-O-Wisp. RestTalk Gyarados is a good status absorber and also checks both formes of Mega Charizard, which switch into Mew quite easily. Mew also appreciates teammates that can take on common Pursuit users, such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash. Hippowdon and Mega Scizor come to mind. Something that can switch into Heatran, such as Rotom-W and Conkeldurr, is also appreciated.

Hazard Control
########
name: Hazard Control
move 2: Softboiled

Moves
========
Defog is the main move on this set, removing entry hazards on both sides of the field. Softboiled provides recovery, thus allowing Mew to clear hazards consistently throughout the game. Will-O-Wisp can burn the opposing Pokemon, slowly sapping their HP and rendering Physical attackers extremely crippled. It also has very good synergy with Defog. It nullifies the Attack boost that Defiant users like Bisharp may get from Defog. Taunt prevents Mew from becoming a set up bait. It is also very useful against opposing support Pokemon, as Mew is generally faster than most of them. Stealth Rock can be used if your team lacks another Stealth Rock user. Mew can use Stealth Rock after Defog, ensuring that Stealth Rock is on the opponent's side of the field, but not on your side.

Set Details
========
The Speed EVs and Timid nature allow it to outspeed max Speed Jolly Mega Tyranitar and burn it before it sets up on Mew. The rest is invested in HP and Special Defense to make it as specially bulky as possible. A specially defensive spread is used, since most of the wallbreakers in OU are specially oriented. Moreover, most of the Pokemon on stall teams are specially oriented and this set acts as a very good stallbreaker. Leftovers is the item of choice and provides passive recovery. 0 Attack IVs minimize confusion and Foul Play damage.

Usage Tips
========
This set works best on bulky offense and balanced teams. Mew can switch in on many defensive Pokemon, such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Chansey, Taunt them and then use Defog. If the opponent has a Defiant user, it is generally better to not use Defog immediately. Will-O-Wisp is the better option in this case. Pretend that you are not running Defog. Try to keep Mew at high health if the opposing hazard setters have not been KOed yet. Don't use Mew as a wall. Just use it as an utility Pokemon who can Defog and can stallbreak for your team. Don't bring it in on strong unresisted STAB moves as its bulk is not spectacular and it will get worn out fast.

Team Options
========
Pokemon which appreciate the removal of hazards from their side of field, such as Charizard, Talonflame, Dragonite, Pinsir, and Kyurem-B, are good teammates. Mew appreciates teammates who can deal with strong Pursuit users, such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash. Hippowdon comes to mind. Unaware Quagsire is a good teammate as it counters Defiant users. A Pokemon to take on Charizard is needed as Mew can't do anything against either form. Heatran is a good option as is RestTalk Gyarados. Mew appreciates cleric support as Toxic and burn ruin its bulk and pressurize it into using Softboiled too often. If you can't pack a cleric, a status absorber can work too. RestTalk Gyarados is again a good candidate.

Other Options
########

Due to its huge movepool, Mew has no lack of options. It can use both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot to great effect. However, it is put down due to its speed. It can also use a choice set but Mew's main selling point is its versatility. Mew is one of the only Pokemon that can use Transform somewhat reliably due to its above average bulk. A lead set with Taunt, Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Explosion can also work quite well, but it is somewhat outclassed in this role by the Deoxys formes. It can also run a Baton Pass set with either Nasty Plot or Swords Dance and Rock Polish, which may be devastating to unprepared teams. Baton Pass can be used on any set to bypass Pursuit, provided you are faster.

Checks & Counters
########

**Heatran**: Heatran sponges anything that the support sets can throw at it, although if Mew is running an offensive set, it can win one on one.

**Prankster and faster Taunters**: Prankster Taunt users such as Sableye and Thundurus and faster Taunters like Deoxys-D can shut down the support sets easiely.

**Pursuit trappers**: Strong pursuit users can put Mew in a checkmate situation, but they must be wary of Will-O-Wisp.

**Mega Charizard-X**: Mega Charizard-X can set up on it and proceed to sweep Mew's team.

**Mega Charizard-Y**: Mega Charizard-Y switches into itMew easily and can fire off sun-boosted Fire Blasts on its team.

**Status**: Burn and Toxic ruin Mew's bulk chipping off its HP and slowly wearing it out.

**Bisharp**: It can switch into Defog, get a Defiant boost and sweep Mew's team, although should be wary of Will-O-Wisp.

**Special attackers**: Strong special attackers, such as Mega Charizard-Y and Choice Specs Keldeo can easily 2HKO Mew and don't fear Will-O-Wisp.

There you go.

Last edited:

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Very minor niptick but Mew is far from the only Pokemon that gets WoW + Defog. Arceus, Charizard, Drifblim, Giratina, Ho-Oh, Moltres and Smeargle also get it. Of course, they're either garbage, Uber or have something better to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)