Stunfisk for C+ rank! (Stall team)

Hi. I am Sweep from Pokemon Showdown. You may know me as the Nazi moderator who banned you from Showdown for writing a few words in bold, or the Masterclass wannabe who managed to go 4-3 in SPL (4 more wins than was expected, fck Low Kick crits though). Though this isn't my first RMT ever, it is my first attempt to share an OU team I made. I built a team around my 2nd favorite Pokemon, Stunfisk, to see if it could stomp on the pillow-soft ladder, and sure enough it inspired several rage quits when my opponents realized their Latios could not even do 50% with Draco Meteor, or when their Mega Manectric or Heatran was walled to hell and back by this thing. That's to say nothing of its ability to hax the opponent with Discharge and Static. What a beast.

This team very quickly catapulted my ladder ranking from ~1400's or so to the upper 1700's, so take from that what you will (bear in mind that I don't ladder seriously and that anyone with a pulse can win on the ladder, but it's still nice to see "Sweep won the battle!" at almost every game's conclusion). Though Stunfisk itself is only borderline viable due to its lack of reliable recovery and many weaknesses, the team took a while to build and thus is actually a semi-serious team. Now, have I used this in Smogtourns? Perhaps not, at least not yet, but it still took some time and effort. The goal of this RMT is to PROVE that Stunfisk deserves a spot on the XY OU viability ranking, as well as its own analysis.

Teambuilding process:

I wanted to build a team around my 2nd favorite Pokemon. Stunfisk is pretty good in OU this generation due to its ability to check dangerous Electric types (for example Thundurus cannot 2HKO with a +2 HP Ice and is 3HKOed back, so it loses 1-1, while Mega Manectric is flat outdestroyed) and cripple and or beat most Defoggers, such as Skarmory, Mandibuzz and Latias. Faring relatively well against the omnipresent Aegislash is icing on the cake! Stunfisk does have some flaws though, most notably a lack of reliable recovery and several glaring weaknesses. The rest of the team was naturally constructed in a way to patch up Stunfisk's weaknesses and supporting it so it could do its job.

Chansey was the first partner to come to mind due to its ability to remove pesky Toxic's from my team with Heal Bell and absorb special attacks all day. Powerful special attacks that can overwhlem Stunfisk, such as Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, are devoured by Chansey. In return, Stunfisk's ability to use Stealth Rock frees up a vital moveslot on Chansey's crowded set, and Stunfisk can wall some Electric types that can Volt Switch on Chansey such as Rotom-H and Manectric. I shouldn't have to explain why Chansey is good on stall teams, but yeah I really like this thing.

With two reliable special walls, I turned my attention to adding a primary physical wall. With devastating threats such as Mega Pinsir and Garchomp running around in this metagame, Skarmory was a natural addition to this team. It also gave the team a Steel type, which are so important to practically all stall teams. Skarmory serves as the team's Defog user, which is nice in case I run into a hazards-centric Hyper Offensive team. It can also phaze Mega Gyarados (lacking Taunt) with Whirlwind and Roost off the damage.

This team was very easy to wall with Steel types such as Scizor, and Bisharp could have a field day. I decided to add a Will-O-Wisp Charizard-X to help check Bisharp, as well as threaten aggravating Pokemon such as Ferrothorn. Charizard also offered the ability to outrun and blast Kyurem-B -- another Pokemon that threatened this team -- with Dragon Claw. Charizard's ability to check & revenge prominent threats in the metagame as well as dish out some punishment of its own made it a natural addition to this team. Also, the sprite isfucking sexy just sayin.

Though Skarmory is a sturdy physical wall, it cannot handle deadly threats such as Dragon Dance Charizard-X, random UU Fire-type powerhouses, etc. Quagsire provides another check to physical Pokemon and deals with set-up sweepers such as BD Azumarril. It does a good job spreading status with Toxic and Scald and like Chansey, Skarm and Charizard, it gets reliable recovery.

Chesnaught was chosen as the final Pokemon on this team doe to its ability to set up Spikes, add a secondary check to Bisharp, and switch into most Aegislash barring Flash Cannon ones. Though it didn't check much that wasn't already covered by the rest of the team, turning a number of key threats in the metagame into Spikes fodder. It could also sort of check Keldeo unless it Hidden Power Flying's Chesnaught to death. Also FWG "core" FTW I guess. Unfortunately, its inability to damage common Defog users such as Mega Scizor and Skarmory was a disappointment and more often than not, it proved to be deadweight despite that neat typing and ability.

I decided to go in a completely different direction with Sylveon. Though Sylveon makes the team weaker to Bisharp, it gave the team a much-needed win condition as well as a Wish passer to keep Stunfisk healthy. It also gave the team a reliable check to Keldeo.

The team:

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

-Stealth Rock
-Earth Power
-Discharge
-Thunder Wave

Stunfisk's titantic 109/99 Special bulk and unique typing grant it an effective niche in OU as a defensive SR setter that can check deadly electric types. I usually like to lead with either this or Charizard. Though Rhyperior might seem to outclass Stunfisk in this role, Stunfisk is not crippled by burns and can deal with common threats like Aegislash significantly better than Rhyperior can, so it does have some advantages. Static is really useful to potentially cripple physical attackers & punish U-Turn spam. Discharge + Earth Power are decently powerful attacks coming off an OK 84 Special Attack, and provide Stunfisk with reasonable coverage. Earth Power in particular is a must on this set to help beat Aegislash and Heatran if they are foolish enough to stay in. Thunder Wave is mostly for the Lati twins and makes them far easier to deal with; once paralyzed, Stunfisk can set up SR if they have used Defog, forcing them to either attempt to power their way through Stunfisk or switch out.

I am strongly considering Toxic over Thunder Wave, even though I have a couple of Toxic users on this team already and really enjoy punishing Greninja (who cannot OHKO Stunfisk with Hydro Pump) and Latios. Toxic punishes predictable Garchomp and Rhyperior switches while putting most Pokemon on a timer. If I use Toxic, I can replace Discharge with Protect to help scout and rack up Leftovers recovery and Toxic damage. Though a physically defensive spread is viable to destroy Talonflame and help vs. Pinsir, this team has no problems with Birdspam as is. 0 Attack IV's are on most of my Pokemon and are a clear indication of my intense OCD.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Bold Nature

- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Standard pink blob. I like running Bold over Careful or something to have an easier time poisoning Ground types, which this team dislikes. I find that people like to directly attack Chansey with Earthquake to test out the damage & determine the nature. That works nicely for me, since they will wind up with a crippled Ground type.

Because this team now has a Sylveon on it, I have a Wish passer already, allowing me to fit Heal Bell on this to cure the team of Toxic spam. Carrying both Seismic Toss AND Toxic is a luxury that many Chansey cannot afford to run, and allows Chansey to wear out the opponent's team throughout the match. There isn't much else to say, Chansey is a staple on many Stall teams and this is no exception.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 Def / 248 HP / 12 Spd
Impish Nature

- Roost
- Drill Peck
- Whirlwind
- Defog

No surprises here, either. I run less speed because this needs to have as much defense as possible to prevent it from being overloaded. Rocky Helmet is an option for chip damage on Gyarados and friends, but in a metagame dominated by devastating physical threats, I again like the reliability of Leftovers (and I have Charizard to handle most Knock Off users such as Bisharp). Roost is mandatory to preserve its health, Drill Peck gives it a way to hit Pinsir, Heracross, and finish off very weakened sweepers if need be, Whirlwind phazes, and Defog is critical to keep hazards off my side of the field. Fortunately, most DeoSharp teams rarely carry more than 1-2 Taunt users, and Bisharp alone is not threatening enough to this team to discourage Defog, meaning keeping hazards off is much easier than I would have expected at the beginning of this generation.

In addition to physical attackers, Skarmory checks SubToxicProtect Gliscor, easily phazing it out and using it as Defog bait. I could use Spikes on Skarmory to further screw over Gliscor, but none of its current moves are really expendable. Skarmory is susceptible to trappers such as Magnezone and Gothitelle, so smart double switching is important when facing such threats. Skarmory forms a pretty nice core with Stunfisk, as it resists Grass and carries a Ground immunity while tanking physical Water moves well, while Stunfisk eats up Volt Switches and aggravating Pokemon like Mega Manectric that can threaten Skarmory.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spd / 8 Atk
Jolly Nature

- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Dragon Claw

Charizard X is one of the best Pokemon in the metagame in my opinion, and is capable of fulfilling a couple of roles. This Charizard can effectively check Bisharp by bypassing Sucker Punch with Will-O-Wisp and avoiding massive damage from Knock Off. I often like to lead with this to prevent it from ever taking x4 damage from Stealth Rock; it does not have that many good lead match-ups though. Despite the minimal investment, Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw still hit hard due to a combination of their naturally high Base Power, STAB, and Tough Claws, allowing Charizard to break down certain walls such as Sylveon. It can Flare Blitz Chansey and Blissey as well, though be careful since the recoil damage will be severe.

I initially had a spread with significant Defense investment to help with Bisharp, but revenging Kyurem-B with Dragon Claw before it could strike was more important for this team. I also liked outrunning random stuff like fast Earth Plate Landorus-T and speed tying offensive Zapdos and Manaphy. With Will-O-Wisp, Roost, and maximum HP investment, this thing will live for a long time with careful play.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Spd
Impish Nature

- Toxic
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Scald

One derpy fish wasn't enough, so I added another one that can handle Belly Drum Azumarril and Swords Dance Talonflame. Quagsire is excellent on Stall teams due to its ability, Unaware, which prevents set-up sweepers barring Mega Gyarados from having a field day. Scald is used to hit Talonflame and hax, Earthquake is obligatory STAB, Toxic hits many things that like to switch in, such as Choiced Rotom-W, and Recover is mandatory.

I'd recommend Haze over Toxic on the ladder while Baton Pass chains exist, since Quagsire automatically beats them by itself with the move. Otherwise, Toxic is a great move in general and most Pokemon immune to the move get hit super-effectively by Earthquake. EV spread is simple and self-explanatory; Quagsire is NOT particularly bulky so it needs all the investment in HP and Defense as it can get.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Spd / 248 SDef / 8 SAtk
Calm Nature

- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Sylveon serves as the team's win condition and Wish passer. Sylveon prevents Keldeo from ripping through this team while dealing with Kingdra as well (sadly, Omastar breaks this in rain, so use Chansey for checking that). It also provides a Dark resist and hits hard with Hyper Voice after a Calm Mind boost or two. Its weaknesses are covered easily by the rest of the team, and its supporting abilities bring enough to the table to make replacing Chesnaught with this a beneficial move.

Threat list:

Taunt Gliscor: Thank God Protect is favored over Taunt in OU, because this thing gives everything a hard time if it can Toxic Quagsire on the switch.

Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados: If the opponent can kill or injure Skarmory, this thing will get an opportunity to sweep. Again, Taunt variants are devastating, as they are to all stall teams.

Magnezone with Mega Pinsir: yeah yikes, gl. Magnezone as a whole is threatening since Skarmory is so important to this team. Other trappers like Dugtrio and Gothitelle are annoying as well, but generally do not do too much damage.

Breloom: No more Chesnaught means that this can do some good damage and sleep whatever it wants (though Chansey can wake it up with Heal Bell). Fortunately, Charizard deals with this fairly well.

Choiced Trick users, Mega Venusaur, and Ground types are annoying as well, though all are somewhat manageable.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-110782951
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-110889715
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-110891816
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-110893457
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-110773691
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-110224762 (pre-Sylveon)
etc.

Conclusion: So yeah, this was the most fun I have ever had building a team. Feel free to rate/criticize/praise/use this team, and I hope that I have provided effective propaganda for Stunfisk.

Importable: http://pastebin.com/ksFLYfqG (change Lax to Impish on Quag, oops)

Shoutouts:

#Tigers, #Stars, #TMNT, fellow moderator (BAN ME PLEASE) on Showdown, #Penis, and anyone who has ever used Omastar in OU. God Bless. Will extend this later, maybe.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
wow, the ladder is so stall weak you can bring 5 pokes and still be successful! nice team.

I suggest a 6th pokemon in your final slot, Gliscor is a stall staple! It can deal with MEga Heracross, and AEgislash, which your team isnt so hot again.

I just watched the replay,it's an awesome stall team.In my opinion it'd better be a little bit offensive,such as set your charizard x as a sweeper but not a wall.I think it will help you to finish the game quicker.For example,in the third replay,I believe you will be easy to sweep the opponent's team if your charizard carries dragon dance.you know,while using a stall team,facing another stall team is boring,unpredictable and endless,lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)