BW NU ßasedVictory sucks

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Introduction

Hi, I know this is kinda late to RMT a NU team, but I feel like it's better now than never so there we go.
I made this team with the help of Zebraiken and FLCL in Week 8 of SPL for my battle against Annoyer , and it ended up being one of my favorite team I had made in a long time, and since it features some cool sets/Pokemon that saw more usage during SPL5, I felt like posting it :afrostar:.

Teambuilding

When I made this team, I wanted it to be able to handle both Offensive and Balanced team well, so I went with a simple core of Gurdurr+Skuntank which beats each other's checks/counters, and a Samurott, because since Jynx's ban it has an easier time cleaning opponent's teams with a boosted Aqua Jet, and has really good bulk.

Next I went with Golurk as I needed Stealth Rock and a good switch in to Fighting-types and Electric-types (especially Rotom-Spin), and a Choice Scarf Rotom-Frost to cover my Flying-type weakness and to help Gurdurr handle Mandibuzz.

Finally, I needed another Water resist and something that could also handle Ground-types as I didn't want to give too much pressure on Samurott to cover too much (which most of the time can end up costing you the game) so I needed a Grass-type. Usually I would go with Sawsbuck, but I also realised that Kangaskhan could be really annoying (only Gurdurr avoided the 2HKO, and only if there was no spikes) so after looking around I found something that could fit easily: a bulky SD Leafeon.

The Team

Sanageyama (Samurott) (M) @ Rindo Berry / Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Standard SD Samurott with a little twist; Rindo Berry. Zebraiken used it against me in Week 5 of SPL, and while he couldn't really show it off, Rindo Berry allows Samurott to OHKO Serperior and Ludicolo, and 2HKO Tangela if you used SD on the switch without fearing getting OHKOed by their STAB Giga Drain. It's effective as Lum is so common that your opponent will usually try to attack it instead of using Toxic or Thunder Wave anyway. You need to have a Poison-type on your team though as Toxic Spikes can prevent this Samurott from sweeping. Lum Berry still has its uses though, so you can easily go Lum > Rindo if you feel like you can handle Grass-types just fine.

MixOtter and SD Otter have both their pros and cons, so if you believe going mix would be better for the team here's the set:

Samurott @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Taunt / Megahorn

Ryuuko (Skuntank) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 SpD / 176 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Poison Jab

IIRC FLCL came up with Explosion on Skuntank (explaination as to why I run that v)

If you look at my team, you can see that 5/6 of it are physical attackers, and that most of them can't really beat Mandibuzz one-on-one outside of Gurdurr, and it's where Explosion on Skuntank comes into play:
252+ Atk Life Orb Skuntank Explosion vs. 248 HP / 56+ Def Mandibuzz: 255-300 (60.28 - 70.92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Skuntank Explosion vs. 248 HP / 56+ Def Mandibuzz: 508-599 (120.09 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While I ran Hidden Power Grass in my SPL game, Poison Jab was more helpful on the ladder (yes the ladder was surprisingly active during one night and I was bored 9.9) and can easily put Mandibuzz (and Gurdurr) into Explosion range. As to why this Skuntank has Hidden Power Grass: I can't allow Carracosta to get a free Shell Smash (but Crunch+Sucker+Aftermath come close to KO too, so you should probably go with Poison Jab). I also don't have Taunt or Pursuit because I simply don't have the space for them, and with the help of Leafeon, most of this team can 2HKO Musharna anyway.

Finally, Skuntank's 4th moveslot can easily be changed to niche moves, such as Sludge Bomb, Fire Blast, or Hidden Power Ground to lure certain Pokemon, since most of the time you will only use its first three moves, which also makes this Skuntank quite versatile.

If you go ChestoRest on Rotom-Frost, you can afford to go with the standard Skuntank set:

Skunk (Skuntank) (M) @Blackglasses/Lum Berry
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 192 SDef / 64 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Pursuit/Taunt
- Poison Jab
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch

Tsugumu (Gurdurr) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up

Standard BU Gurdurr. Checks Kangaskhan and Mandibuzz really and can also easily sweep unprepared teams, like Samurott. When I pass Substitute with Leafeon, I usually BP to Gurdurr as not a lot of Pokemon wants to face a Gurdurr at full health behind a Substitute :afrostar:.
Toxic over Bulk Up is also a cool option to cripple some annoying Pokemon, like Tangela and Alomomola, but Gurdurr would rely on Leafeon to get a boost, which can end up being annoying in some matchups.

Gamagoori (Golurk) @ Passho Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 92 Def / 76 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Bulky Golurk is best lurk. No seriously before Jynx and Scolipede were banned, a lot of people ran no bulk on their Golurk for some reasons (including myself), but at the beginning of SPL Afro Smash showed me a team that included one, and since then I never looked back. This thing can eat up a lot of hits thanks to its typing and good overall bulk: Max HP and 76 SpDef EVs are necessary to live a Max Spa LO Giga Drain from Ludicolo after Stealth Rock, and if you run Leftovers, allows Golurk to only be 4HKOed by Scarf Rotom-Spin's Air Slash. 84 Atk EVs with Adamant is something that I have been running for a long time, and I'm not gonna lie I completely forgot why I ran this number, but it served me well as it can 2HKO Musharna with Earthquake with a boost from Leafeon. I needed Toxic to cripple (mainly) Alomomola and Tangela, and went with Ground/Ice coverage to do as much damage as possible to anything. Finally, Passho Berry is great as it allows Golurk to live any hit from Ludicolo and Carracosta, which is quite helpful for this team, but Leftovers also works so it all comes down to preference.

You could also run Non Guard over Iron Fist with Stone Edge over Ice Punch to OHKO a Rotom-Frost switching in with Stealth Rock up if you feel like it.

Houka (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Standard Choice Scarf Rotom-Frost. Since Jynx's ban, the metagame became slower, which made Rotom-Frost a bigger threat than before (ChestoRest w/ Wisp, Scope Lens, and Ebelt are all good sets too). I chose the Choice Scarf set because I needed another way to revenge kill Charizard and a good Flying-type resist that could also easily force Mandibuzz out, which Rotom-F fulfill easily. Choice Scarf Rotom-Frost is also a big threat for offensive teams, thanks to its awesome coverage! Finally, Trick is to cripple an incoming Piloswine and walls such as Lickilicky and Bronzor.

ChestoRest>Scarf (see threatlist for more info!)

Nonon (Leafeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Substitute / Synthesis
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

I used to think that Leafeon was just a worst Sawsbuck, but this changed when Iris asked me to use Leafeon (and other Pokemon including Natu, Shedinja, and Altaria, which I unfortunately didn't use) as I was looking for this team's 'glue', which is where I realised that Leafeon could actually fulfill what I needed it to do.

Bulky SD Leafeon is its best set, and for a good reason: it sets up on so many Pokemon it's hilarious. The EV spread allows Leafeon to outspeed Base 90 Speed Pokemon such as Zangoose and Kangaskhan, enough Atk EVs to OHKO Piloswine with Stealth Rock and a boost, and the rest in bulk to set up on as many Pokemon as possible. Leafeon forms a nice pseudo VoltTurn core with Rotom-F, as the pokemon that usually threaten out Leafeon can be handled by Rotom-F, and vice versa. I chose to run Substitute over Synthesis as it gives me more options when I have a free turn to boost: in some matchups, passing a Swords Dance to one of my Pokemon can be more beneficial than passing a Substitute, while in another game passing a Substitute to Gurdurr means the game is over.

Threatlist ( the most annoying stuff)

Flying-types (especially SubBU Braviary and Golbat): This team handles well choice locked Braviary with a bit of prediction and priority, but SubBU can become a problem, which is where going with a ChestoRest Rotom-Frost over Choice Scarf Rotom-Frost can fix the issue. It also help the deal to deal with Golbat, while uncommon, can wall most of the team and cripple Rotom-Frost on the switch with Toxic.

Bulky Grass-types (Tangela): The team can handle it better if you go ChestoRest on Rotom-Frost or Mixed on Samurott. You can even go Sludge Bomb over Hidden Power Grass on Skuntank to do a lot of damage to Tangela without needing a boost, and it still do enough to Mandibuzz and Gurdurr to put them in Explosion range :).

As you can see, giving up the Choice Scarf on Rotom-Frost for ChestoRest can be beneficial for the team overall, as I would still have 3 sources of priority to revenge kill threats (I RMTed with the Scarf variant because it was the set I used in my important games), so feel free to play with both set and see which one you prefer!

Importable

Gamagoori (Golurk) @ Passho Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 76 SDef / 92 Def / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Ryuuko (Skuntank) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 176 Spd / 80 SDef
Lonely Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion

Tsugumu (Gurdurr) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up

Sanageyama (Samurott) (M) @ Rindo Berry
EVs: 80 Spd / 176 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Houka (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Nonon (Leafeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Shoutouts (because why not)

ik I already did most of these before, but they deserve it anyway :toast:
FLCL Zebraiken Annoyer ebeast Raseri for helping me so much in Grand Slam and SPL, you guys are my fkn frens (zeb needs to watch anime tho..)
ßasedVictory because your name is impossible to tag, fuck klang, shouldve stayed banned on PO IMHO
TROP is a faget
#neverused for being a bunch of cool guys
#The Alliance Of Normal Users for being awsome, I guess.
#classiest , ik I already did a shoutout for you guys in the other thread but you are all a bunch of cool guys and I really hope I'll be able to play with everyone next year :afrostar:

Team Canada we can this *-*

ALSO SHOUTOUT TO FORN AND AINSLEY HARRIOTT

Last edited:
Great team like always SG! Out of curiosity how do you deal with Tangela. It literally just sits there and walls 5/6 of your pokemon, and frankly once Rotom-F is worn down you will be butthurt dealing with quite a few physical walls. SubBU Braviary also dicks around with your team once Rotom-F is gone. Tl;dr your team is far too reliant on Rotom-F to deal with common physically bulky pokemon, which can be pressuresome at times.

I think the simplest change to make is to just change SD Rott to All-Out Attacking Rott. This takes a lot of pressure off or Rotom-F to beat things like Tangela, sharing the burden of breaking down physically defensive checks for others to sweep. I feel that having 3 pokemon for your Leafeon to BP to is more than plenty, and this way the BP Can be taken advantage of more effectively. If you are real SG, try Sub + Lefties > Taunt/Megahorn/AquaJet + LO js its cool stallbreaker. Access to taunt also helps you prevent rocks easily early in the match, again helping out Rotom-F

Outside of that there isn't much to change. This simply is a good NU team, and utilizes some very interesting sets to their fullest potential (SD Leafeon and BulkLurk mostly). It appears to perform very solid, and congrats on the great team!

Hope this helped!

Samurott @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Taunt / Megahorn / Aqua Jet / Substitute

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Great team like always SG! Out of curiosity how do you deal with Tangela. It literally just sits there and walls 5/6 of your pokemon, and frankly once Rotom-F is worn down you will be butthurt dealing with quite a few physical walls. SubBU Braviary also dicks around with your team once Rotom-F is gone. Tl;dr your team is far too reliant on Rotom-F to deal with common physically bulky pokemon, which can be pressuresome at times.

I think the simplest change to make is to just change SD Rott to All-Out Attacking Rott. This takes a lot of pressure off or Rotom-F to beat things like Tangela, sharing the burden of breaking down physically defensive checks for others to sweep. I feel that having 3 pokemon for your Leafeon to BP to is more than plenty, and this way the BP Can be taken advantage of more effectively. If you are real SG, try Sub + Lefties > Taunt/Megahorn/AquaJet + LO js its cool stallbreaker. Access to taunt also helps you prevent rocks easily early in the match, again helping out Rotom-F

Outside of that there isn't much to change. This simply is a good NU team, and utilizes some very interesting sets to their fullest potential (SD Leafeon and BulkLurk mostly). It appears to perform very solid, and congrats on the great team!

Hope this helped!

Samurott @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Taunt / Megahorn / Aqua Jet / Substitute
While at first glance Tangela might look like a problem, Rotom-F isn't my only answer to it; Samurott 2HKO any variant with a boost (you should never Swords Dance directly on a Tangela unless it's at low health) since it won't try to Sleep Powder you when it can Giga Drain you for health, Golurk can Toxic, Leafeon can set up on it if it doesn't have Hidden Power Fire/Ice, and Skuntank can do a good chunk, etc. It is true that it can be annoying though, but Tangela isn't that common these days as it faces competitions with a lot of other Grass-types that covers some important roles too.

You are right concerning Braviary though. The bird is a pain to deal with and I usually rely on priority+ Scarf Rotom-F to handle Choice-locked variant. SubBU is the most dangerous one due to Leafeon being set up fodder, but thank god most of the times people just boost as I pass a Substitute to Rotom-F lol (doesn't really work against better players but oh well). I have been considering using ChestoRest Rotom-F>Scarf for more survivability to check birds, but both sets has its pros and cons :/

I also had the exact same Samurott set as you posted when I first build this team (except with close to max HP over Speed), but if you look at the whole team you'll see that Specs Charizard 2HKO every single one of my Pokemon, including Samurott. and since I carry Leafeon (which is pretty much a free switch for Charizard), I needed a Pokemon able to take a Specs Fire Blast and force out Charizard with either priority or its speed, and SD Samurott was the best fit. Both sets work though, so it all comes down to the user's preference :)

Thanks for the rate!

Nice team buddy, and 9/10 title would be 10/10 if it was 'sssnakevictory sucks' :]

You know I'm not a fan of Rindo Samurott :[ I think Lum comes in useful far more often, though it can be useful for catching Ludi off guard since that thing can run train on your team if it gets a rain dance up (though it should take enough damage in the process where Skunk can revenge), but Tangela and Serp are handled pretty easily by Skunk.

You could probably afford to run Toxic>Bulk Up on Gurdurr for Alo/Tang/Mush/Mandi since you can be receiving boosts from Leafeon, this would free up Golurk to run Shadow Punch for better coverage and making it a secondary Check to Musharna, although the obvious problem with this is it leaves you reliant on Leafeon for boosts.

I'm not too much a fan of LO Skunk personally, and on this team you have Gurdurr and Pashho Lurk to handle Carracosta and Gurdurr and Rotom-F (altho Rotom doesn't like switching in too much) for Mandibuzz, so I'd personally prefer the standard set, something along the lines of:

Skunk (Skuntank) (M) @Blackglasses/Lum Berry
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 192 SDef / 64 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Pursuit/Taunt
- Poison Jab
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch

This allows you to be a much more effective Check to Grass and Psychic types, which can be a problem if Skuntank falls too early to LO recoil/Explosion.

Overall effective team with the rare Leafeon to keep it fresh :]

I know you won't use any of my suggestions but thanks for readin em anyway!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)